Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Power Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Power Within

MisCard

I tried my hand at writing Dobby, but it's hard to get down how he talks. As for the latin words and phrases in this chapter, I put them together the best I could. I never took Latin in school, so I had to guess at which tense of the word to use. I hope I didn't mess it up too bad! I hope you enjoy the chapter!!! :)

The next morning came quickly, and Harry woke up feeling energized. He lay in bed wondering why he felt so wonderful, then he remembered what he and Hermione had done right here in his bed last night. He knew he was probably too young to have lost his virginity already, but what they had done had felt so right. He turned his face into his pillow, and he could still smell Hermione's shampoo; it smelled like vanilla and strawberries. He didn't think he would ever wash that pillow again. 'I could die any day, why not live my life while I can?' he thought as he climbed out of bed and got dressed. As he headed down the stairs to the kitchen, he smelled something delicious and his stomach growled.

"Remus what are you making...Dobby?" Harry said surprised to see the house elf there.

"Harry Potter sir, Dobby has made breakfast sir" said Dobby as he gestured to a table full of eggs, ham, toast and many other breakfast foods.

"When did you get here Dobby?" asked Harry as he sat down and started to fill his plate.

"Professor Dumbledore is asking Dobby to help Harry Potter sir" replied Dobby "I is to be helping you and Miss Hermione around here until school is starting."

"Well, breakfast looks great!" Harry said as he started eating. "Mornin' Remus" he said around a mouth full of food.

"Morning Harry" said Remus laughing "enjoying breakfast are we?"

"Yesh" replied Harry spitting food on Remus. They both broke down laughing as Hermione walked into the kitchen.

"Good Morning!" she said happily. "What's so funny?"

"Harry decided to share his breakfast with me" Remus said while still laughing.

"Oh...o-k" said Hermione while looking from one to the other strangely. "Dumbledore will be here in an hour so we need to hurry and eat. Oh, hi Dobby! What are you doing here?"

"I is helping you and Harry Potter miss" said Dobby while bringing her some orange juice.

"Alright, well, eat up!" she said while taking some toast. The rest of breakfast went by quietly as they ate and enjoyed the veritable feast that Dobby had made them.

At exactly ten that morning, Albus Dumbledore walked into the sitting room where Harry and Hermione were sitting. Hermione was sitting on the couch reading a book on protection spells, and Harry's head was resting on her lap while he listened to her read about one spell in particular. She held the book in her left hand while her right hand was running through Harry's hair. Dumbledore smiled as he walked into the room and saw their behavior. Anyone that would have walked in at that moment would know that these two were in love. They reminded him so much of Harry's parents, James and Lily, that it saddened him. He swore to himself that what happened to Harry's parents would not happen to Harry and Hermione. After all that Harry had been through growing up, he deserved to be happy.

"Good morning!" said Dumbledore, startling the two teenagers. "Sorry, didn't mean to sneak up on you, I didn't want to interrupt your reading."

"Good morning sir" said Harry jumping off of the couch with a slight blush on his face.

"Good morning Headmaster" said Hermione, blushing also.

"Ready to begin?" asked Dumbledore as he pulled up a chair across from the couch while gesturing for the two to sit back down. At their nods, he continued "I assume that Remus has explained what we found out at the meeting last night?" When he saw Harry nod again, he said "today we will practice a little Occlumency and Legilimency and then we will start on the spells involving 'Ignes Venificum', or fire magic."

Dumbledore worked with Harry on his Occlumency first, teaching things that Professor Snape had never mentioned to Harry. Harry was slightly pissed that Snape had never mentioned some of the things that Dumbledore showed him because it made it so much easier to learn. Next Hermione was taught Legilimency and practiced breaking into Harry's mind. She failed the first few attempts, but then she saw a few of Harry's memories the fourth time she tried. Dumbledore stopped them after that so that Harry was not too tired to learn the new Ignes Venificum spells.

"Ok Harry, here is the first spell you need to learn. You will not need your wand for this because this magic is focused solely through your hands." Dumbledore explained.

Harry looked disbelievingly at the professor. "I won't need my wand at all?"

"No, Harry this is almost like wand less magic. You will be drawing from the magic within you, but instead of focusing it through a wand; you will use your hands. Now, the first thing you will learn is to put one hand palm up and say 'igniculus."

Harry put his hand out as Dumbledore had said and said "Igniculus!" Harry's eyes grew wide as a small flame erupted out of his palm and sat there burning. It didn't go out, and it didn't burn his hand either. "Wow!"

"Great Harry!" exclaimed Dumbledore "To extinguish it, just close your hand around it. Now on to something harder. Since you were able to spark the flame within, let's see if you can use that fire. I want you to put your hand out again with your palm facing that fireplace over there. Concentrate on it and say 'focus accendo'."

"Focus Accendo" Harry yelled while holding his hand out and concentrating on the fireplace. Nothing happened. "Focus Accendo!" he yelled a bit more forcefully. This time there was a spark, but nothing more.

"Harry, clear your mind and really focus in on what you are aiming for" explained Dumbledore.

"Focus Accendo!!" Harry watched in awe as the fireplace roared to life with orange flames. "I did it!" he said with excitement in his voice. All of a sudden, the room seemed to spin. Next thing he knew, Hermione was leading him over to sit on the couch.

"That's enough for today Harry, I don't want you to exhaust yourself." said Dumbledore with a grin on his face. "Excellent work! You're learning quickly. Next time we will practice more on these spells and I will teach you one or two more. I will be back the day after tomorrow."

"Thank-you Professor" said Hermione while rubbing Harry's back. "We will practice what you've shown us today."

With a nod and a smile, Dumbledore walked out of the room leaving Harry and Hermione to rest.

As they sat there recuperating from their training session, Harry grabbed Hermione's hand and held it while he asked "are you ready to talk about last night?"

"What is there to talk about?" she asked. "Are you going to say it was a mistake?"

"No" Harry said quickly "I'm glad it happened. I feel the same as you do in respect to living life. Who knows when Voldemort will attack, and according to the Prophecy I could easily die."

Hermione blinked back tears as she thought about what Harry said. "We will find a way to defeat him Harry and then you can live a normal life just like everyone else."

"I hope so. So will you be my girlfriend?" he asked while slowly moving his face closer to hers.

"I would think you got your answer last night" she said with a smile "but yes, Harry, I will."

Harry smiled and leaned in to kiss her. Their lips met, and Harry ran his tongue along her bottom lip seeking entrance. She opened up to him, and he deepened the kiss. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer. They sat snogging on the couch for a while. Harry started trailing kisses down her jaw to her neck, and after a minute she pulled away.

"Harry" she said breathlessly "we need to stop before this goes any further."

"Yeah" said Harry, pulling away. He leaned his forehead onto her forehead and looked her in the eyes. "I love you Hermione" he said quietly.

"I love you too" she said with tears in her eyes. "Promise me you won't let anything come between us."

"What do you mean?" he asked confused.

"Voldemort, Harry" she said "I know he likes to play mind games with you. Promise you won't let him convince you that he'll hurt me to get to you."

"I promise" he said and kissed her again "I won't let anything come between us."

All Latin words and phrases are from the Notre Dame University website, the Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid section.