Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Power Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Power Within

MisCard

Thank you for all the great reviews!! And if you're reading this, I guess you decided to stick with my story and for that I thank you too!! I knew some people would object to Hermione's pregnancy; I have this posted on another site and the reaction was the same. I hope you enjoy the chapter!! :)

"P-P-Pre-Pregnant?!" stuttered Harry, his eyes wide with disbelief.

"Shhh...Yes, that's what I said. Madame Pomfrey was examining me and said there was something unusual with my system. She checked me out and I'm about four weeks along." Hermione said while trying to keep herself together.

Harry looked at her face, and he could see how scared she was. He sat up the best he could and pulled her into a hug. He sat holding her while she sobbed and clung to him. "Hermione, I'm not going to tell you that I'm ok with this, but I swear that I will be here for you. I'm not going anywhere, and no matter what you decide to do, I'll be behind you one hundred percent."

She gave him a small smile through her tears and said "thanks Harry. That makes me feel a little better. I was so afraid you would go running scared when I told you. I am keeping it, that I know. How about we talk about this more after we see my parents and Ron? There's so much to take care of right now that this can wait a little while. We just have to decide what we're going to do before June."

"June? Is that when the baby is due?" Harry asked.

"Yes, just before the end of school. Anyway, we'll discuss it later" Hermione said as Madame Pomfrey walked up and started re-examining Harry's back. The nurse looked from Hermione to Harry and said "I take it Miss Granger has told you the news?"

"Yes, she has" replied Harry.

"Well, once all the craziness from this attack has calmed down, why don't the two of you come see me and we can discuss some things that are going to be happening during the next nine months. There's a lot you're going to have to learn" she said in a friendly manner. "I guess you will be ok to visit Mr. Weasley and Miss Grangers parents Mr. Potter. I'm going to give you a potion that will take care of any pain you may experience. If it gets any worse, try to have one of the medi-wizards there re-check you to make sure it's not getting any worse, ok?

"Alright" Harry agreed drinking the potion the nurse had handed to him, and tried to get out of bed. He couldn't believe how much his back hurt. After he was standing, he grabbed Hermione's hand and walked over towards the fireplace that was in the ward. He grabbed a hand full of floo powder and got in, throwing it down and yelled "St. Mungo's Hospital!" He found himself spinning quickly and then stumbling out into the waiting room of the Hospital. He righted himself and turned around in time to steady Hermione as she came stumbling out after him. Once they had brushed themselves off, they walked over to the witch at the information desk.

"Can I help you?" she asked, not even looking up from the copy of Witch Weekly she was reading.

"We're here to see my parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Granger. They were brought in after the attack on Platform 9 3/4. Could you please tell us what room they are in?" Hermione asked.

"If you'll have a seat in the waiting room, a nurse will be out to help you shortly." said the witch, still reading.

"Look" said Harry impatiently "we need to see them right away. We were told that her Mum was in pretty bad shape." When she still didn't look at them, Harry slammed his hands down on the counter and said "Would you look at us please?!"

Surprised, the witch behind the counter looked up, and when she saw THE Harry Potter standing there she snapped into action. "I'm so sorry Mr. Potter, I had no idea it was you. Let me get you that room number."

"It shouldn't matter who I am" said Harry angrily. "We also need the room number for Ronald Weasley."

"Right, I'm sorry, Mrs. Granger is on the sixth floor in room 613. That's the muggle ward." said the nurse with a star-struck look on her face. "Mr. Weasley is on the fifth floor in room 507. It was so nice to meet you Mr. Potter."

"Wish I could say the same" mumbled Harry as they rounded the corner to the lifts.


They went up to check on Hermione's parents first. As they entered the room, they saw Robert Granger sitting in a chair next to her Mum's bed holding her left hand. Jane Granger's face was pale but she looked like she was resting comfortably. Her Dad had a bandage wrapped around his forehead, but other than that he looked unharmed.

"Daddy?" Hermione asked in an almost child-like voice. "Are you ok?" she asked as she walked quickly over to him and threw her arms around him. She sat hugging him and crying while she asked "what happened to you and Mum?"

"I'm not really sure exactly what happened, all I know is that I was hit in the head with a piece of the ceiling. Your Mum had been pushed to the ground when everyone started trying to run for safety. Another big piece of the ceiling fell onto her chest and broke some of her ribs. One of them punctured her lung and she was having trouble breathing. It was touch and go for a while, one wrong move and one of her broken ribs could have punctured her heart and killed her. What about you, are you ok baby?" he asked, suddenly pulling back from her and looking her over.

"I had a broken arm, but Madame Pomfrey has already healed it. Harry pushed me out of the way and saved me." she answered, gesturing over to where Harry was leaning up against a wall.

"Thank-you Harry for saving my daughter" Mr. Granger said as he walked over to Harry and shook his hand.

"I would do anything for Hermione Mr. Granger" said Harry as he looked over to Hermione and gave her a smile.

Mr. Granger looked from his daughter to Harry with a thoughtful look on his face, but he didn't say anything. He just walked back over to his chair and sat back down. Harry slowly walked over to where Hermione was standing and took her hand in his. Mr. Granger watched as Harry walked over, and noticed how slowly he was moving.

"Are you alright Harry?" he asked with concern in his voice.

"I'm fine. I had tackled Hermione to the ground and shielded her with my body. Unfortunately, some of the rubble landed on my back and bruised it pretty badly." Harry answered as Hermione squeezed his hand lightly. "Madame Pomfrey fixed me up as best she could, gave me something for pain and said we could come see how you were doing. We also need to see Ron, they're not sure he will survive the night."

"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Hopefully a miracle will happen and he will pull through." Just as Mr. Granger said this, his wife started moving and moaning in pain.

"Mum?" Hermione asked quickly walking over to the side of the bed. "Are you ok?"

"Hermione?" her Mum said quietly. "My chest really hurts. Are you ok? Are you hurt?"

"No Mum, I'm alright, don't worry. Just rest and get better. I'll go see if I can find someone to give you something for the pain." said Hermione as she headed for the door.

"I'll come with you" said Harry walking out with her. Just as he closed the door behind him, Hermione turned and wrapped her arms around Harry. " 'Mione are you ok?" he asked hugging her as he felt her body shaking. She turned her face up to his and his heart broke. She looked so lost and so tired that he wanted to do anything to make her feel better.

"I-It's just all so overwhelming" she cried, holding on to him tightly. "This has been the worst day ever, and on top of everything I find out I'm..." she trailed off not even able to say the word.

"Why don't you go back in with your parents. I'll go find a healer to check on your Mum and then I'll go down and check on Ron, ok? If he's really bad, I'll come and get you straight away" Harry said while rubbing her back with one hand and holding her tightly with the other.

"Ok, that's sounds like a good plan. Thank-you so much for being here with me, I can't tell you how much it means to me to have you here for support." she said smiling at him. "I love you" she whispered as she brushed her lips over his.

"I meant what I told your Dad" Harry said quietly so only she could hear "I would do anything for you Hermione, I love you too."

Hermione let go of him and started towards the door to her Mother's room while he turned and started walking slowly down the hallway to find a healer. She stopped and watched him walk away. He sensed her stare, turned and flashed her a lopsided smile that made her melt. 'What would I do without him?' she thought as she walked into the room. 'I hope I never have to find out.'

Harry found a healer and explained Mrs. Granger's condition. The healer thanked Harry for alerting him and went to attend to her. Harry then took the lift down to the fifth floor to go see Ron. He really didn't know what to expect when he got there. He wasn't sure that the Weasley's would welcome him with open arms. They all knew what had gone on between the trio this summer, so he was sure they blamed him for all the trouble. He got off the lift and went toward Ron's room. Sitting outside on one of the benches were Ginny and Mr. Weasley along with Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall. Ginny looked up and glared at him as he walked towards Mr. Weasley.

"Mr. Weasley, I was just wondering how Ron is doing?" asked Harry timidly, not meeting his eyes.

"Not good, Harry, not good. He sustained some very serious injuries while saving Ginny. They are doing everything they can for him, but they don't know if it will be enough." He had a very grave look on his face while he spoke that made Harry worry more about Ron.

"What do you care Harry?" asked Ginny with venom in her voice. "Last I knew you weren't even friends with Ron anymore. You and Hermione seem to think you're too good for him!"

Harry's eyes narrowed to slits as he glared at her, balling his fists at his sides. "How dare you! I loved Ron like a brother, and he was so jealous of me he couldn't see straight anymore! I didn't start this fight with him; he's the one that abandoned our friendship. As for Hermione, she never did anything to him and all he's done is treat her like shit!" At this Ginny's eyes grew wide. "I came down here to see how he was doing. After Hermione has spent some time with her parents on the next floor up, she wants to come down here and see him too. If we didn't still care about him, we wouldn't even bother with seeing if he was dead or alive!"

Harry stood there breathing heavily trying to calm himself back down. He could feel the flame inside of him spark to life and his back had really started to hurt as his body had tensed up. He guardedly looked at Mr. Weasley and asked "would it be ok if we came down in a couple of hours? We would both like to go in and sit with him for a while."

"Sure Harry" Mr. Weasley said while getting up and walking over to him, looking him square in the eyes "You won't upset him, right? That's the last thing he needs right now. He's in and out of consciousness, so you may not even get to talk to him at all."

"I promise we won't upset him. I want to make things right between us, if he'll let me. I miss my best mate." Harry said while trying to keep his voice even and not show how upset he was.

"Alright, come by in two hours and we'll make sure the two of you can be in there by yourselves." said Mr. Weasley.

"Thanks." Harry said, then turned towards Dumbledore and asked "Sir, have you seen Remus?"

"He was still at Platform 9 3/4 helping with the investigation last I knew" replied Dumbledore.

"If you see him, would you please ask him to come see me? I'll be with Hermione and her parents on the sixth floor, room 613."

"Sure Harry. He should be checking in with me soon, so I'll send him up when he gets here." Dumbledore said with a reassuring smile.

"Thank-you Sir" said Harry as he turned and started making his way back to Hermione.


Harry had been in the room with Hermione and her parents for about an hour when someone knocked on the door. Harry opened it and saw Remus standing there. He had never been so happy to see anyone before in all his life. Harry excused himself and closed the door while he and Remus crossed the hall and sat on one of the benches there.

"Dumbledore said you were looking for me?" Remus asked. "Are you alright Harry?"

"No, not really. I mean, physically I'll be okay in a few days. I had a broken leg which Pomfrey healed and I've got a severely bruised back. But that's not why I wanted to talk to you." Harry sat back and looked at Remus with a very sad expression on his face. "I could always talk to Sirius about anything, and I'd like to think that I can tell you anything too."

"Of course Harry, I told you if you ever needed someone to talk to I'd be there for you." When he saw a look of worry pass over Harry's face, he asked "What is it? What's wrong?"

"What I'm going to tell you has to stay between you and me" Harry said, and seeing Remus nod his head in agreement went on. "Hermione got hurt today in the attack. Nothing serious, just a broken arm. When Madame Pomfrey examined her, she..."

"She what? Harry, is Hermione ok?" Remus asked, starting to get worried.

"Yes and no. Remus, Hermione is pregnant and the baby is mine" Harry said while watching him for his reaction.

Lupin sat there stunned for a minute, then seemed to snap out of it as he turned to Harry and asked "What? When did you two...?"

"Well...it, uh, it happened about four weeks ago. When Hermione first got to the house, she had told you she found me asleep when she got there? I wasn't asleep, we had talked things through and it just happened" Harry tried to explain. "We were stupid; neither of us even thought about using any protection, we just kind of got caught up in the moment."

Remus sat there looking at Harry with a thoughtful look on his face. "Harry, what are you going to do? You're only starting your sixth year; you basically have two years of schooling left."

"I know, Hermione and I haven't really had a chance to discuss much of anything yet. We only found out about three hours ago. She knows she wants to keep the baby, and I told her I would stand by her no matter what." Harry looked Remus in the eyes and said "I love her Remus; at least I'm pretty sure I do. I've never really had anyone love me; I've never loved anyone before. It's a foreign emotion to me, but I know that I've never felt this way about anyone before. I would die for her if I had to."

"Do you think you could spend the rest of your life with her?" Lupin asked him "Because if you love her as much as you say you do, then you need to do right by her. When is her birthday?"

"It's September 19th" Harry asked with a puzzled look on his face.

"She will turn sixteen right?" at Harry's nod, he continued "Then you need to marry her after her birthday when she will be of legal age in the wizarding world. Make it legal and bring your baby into a legal family. I know it's going to be hard, but I will be there every step of the way to help the both of you. We can both go talk to Dumbledore tomorrow and tell him everything that's going on. I'm sure he will help as much as possible also."

Harry couldn't believe that Remus was so calm about everything. He was still scared shitless, but he had some hope for the future now. Remus was right; he should marry Hermione and give his baby a loving home and family. Dumbledore had told him during one of their training sessions that he had inherited Grimmauld Place from Sirius; he could fix that up and they could live there together in the summer. Hermione's parents could move in if they wanted too; it was big enough for all of them. He had also inherited half of the Black family fortune, which was more than enough for them to live off of for quite a while when combined with the money Harry already had from his parents. 'This really could work' thought Harry as he smiled at Remus and said "thanks for helping me see things more clearly. We have a long way to go, but I think we can work things out."

Remus looked at him with a very serious look on his face and said "I'm not saying that I'm not disappointed with you Harry; what you and Hermione did was wrong. Obviously you weren't ready to take things that far if you didn't even use a protection spell. But I was also a teenager once, and I remember those raging hormones. I promised Sirius I would look after you if anything ever happened to him, and I will do anything I can to help you." Remus got up from the bench and asked "So we'll talk to Dumbledore tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'll probably stay here with Hermione tonight. She wants to spend time with her parents and we are going to see Ron later. Not sure how that's going to go" Harry said with apprehension in his voice. "What about school? They're not going to start classes in the morning as planned, are they?"

"No, Dumbledore has pushed back everything two weeks. There were a lot of students injured today; unfortunately about twenty died." Remus said sadly.

"I never even stopped to think about the rest of the students with everything that has gone on today. I'll have to find out who they were." Harry was afraid to see how many of his friends were lost that day.

"I only glanced at the list quickly; I was so worried about you and Ron that I left as quickly as I could to come here. So I'll come by here tomorrow, and then we'll floo to Dumbledore's office to discuss everything, ok?" At Harry's nod, he asked "how about eleven in the morning?"

"That's fine. Thanks again for all your help Remus" Harry said while giving him a manly hug. Harry watched as Lupin turned and walked down the hallway before going back into the room with Hermione and her parents.