Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Power Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Power Within

MisCard

Just a quick note to say thanks again for the reviews! Also, I should be posting two more chapters after this, maybe in the next two days and then the updates will slow down. I had all of this written already, now I'm just combining two chapters into one and editing it. I'm still not sure how long this story will be; it's kind of writing itself. Enough chit-chat, on with the show!! :)

Madam Pomfrey woke Harry up and shooed him out of the ward, telling him to go to the welcoming feast. Grudgingly, he straightened out his clothes and went to the great hall. By the time he got down there, the sorting was done and everyone was eating. He looked at the Gryffindor table and spotted Neville, who was sitting across from Ron. He went and sat next to Neville, who nodded at him in acknowledgement. He looked over at Ron and gave him a small smile. Ron smiled back and asked "where's Hermione?"

Harry's smile dropped off of his face instantly. "She's...she's in the hospital ward."

Ron looked at him in alarm. "What's wrong with her? Harry?" he asked when Harry didn't answer him. He was getting worried at the look on his face. Forgetting their past arguments, Ron said "hey, why don't we take some food with us and sit with her?" Harry looked up at him with an almost grateful look on his face. They quickly filled their plates with food and walked out of the hall. When they walked back into the ward, Madam Pomfrey was checking on Hermione.

"Is she doing any better?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Didn't I just chase you out of here?" the nurse asked indignantly. Sighing in resignation, she said "No, she's the same as she was before. The only good thing is that her condition isn't getting any worse" she said giving him a meaningful look. "I think I may have found a remedy, but it's going to take a little while to make. I'm going to get to work; I'll be back in a little while to check on her again."

They watched as the nurse turned and walked back to her office. Ron grabbed a chair from across the room and sat on the opposite side of the bed from where Harry was. He started picking at his food and said "so are you going to tell me what happened? I don't know if she told you, but she told me about you guys and the baby too."

Harry looked at him for a moment, and then said "she told me about your talk. I'm glad you two patched things up. She's been through so much lately, and now this." When Ron just sat looking at him, waiting patiently, he said "she fainted today in the common room. She was complaining of a headache and not feeling well. When I brought her up here, Madam Pomfrey said the magical energy from our baby was overwhelming Hermione's body. If it keeps building, they could both die." Ron looked up to see tears running down Harry's face, and was at a loss for words. Seeing Harry cry over Hermione's condition seemed to relay to him just how serious her condition was. "Ron" Harry said, interrupting his thoughts "I wouldn't be able to handle losing her or our son."

Ron smiled just a little and said "you're having a boy?" When Harry nodded, he said "You know Ronald is a great name for a little boy." When Harry just looked at him with a small smirk on his face, he said "Seriously Harry, Hermione's a fighter. I know she's scared about having this baby, but she also seemed a little excited too. She loves you, and she loves the baby already. Just try to have faith in her, and in Madam Pomfrey. They'll both be fine."

Harry looked at him in surprise. "When did you get to be so wise?" he asked smiling.

"I've had some time to contemplate the way I've been acting." He sat his plate on the empty bed next to him and said "I know I haven't been the greatest friend. But sometimes it seems like you have everything." When Harry opened his mouth to say something, Ron held up a hand and said "just listen, ok? I used to think that even if you didn't have your parents around, your money and fame were enough to make you happy. That day at the Burrow when I walked out to see you and Hermione kissing, I just snapped. 'There's another thing he gets that I don't' is what ran through my mind, and I'm ashamed for it now Harry. I felt lost knowing you two were mad at me, I'd sit down to write to one of you and realize that I couldn't. I've also realized that petty jealousy is not a good enough reason to throw away two great friendships. Besides, who would I argue with?" he said teasingly.

"So you're really ok with us being together? I mean, we are getting married in six days." he asked looking at Ron, trying to read the emotions playing across his face.

"Yes, I'm ok with you two together. I told Hermione when she came to see me that the day you two walked in my room holding hands, and it didn't bother me, I knew my feelings weren't true. She's more of a sister to me than someone I want as a girlfriend. Wait, did you say you guys were getting married in SIX days?" he asked disbelieving.

"Yeah, her birthday is Friday Ron. It's already the fourteenth of September." he said while setting his plate down also and grabbing her hand, holding it firmly. "That's if she's better by then. I was so surprised when Madam Pomfrey told me that my Mum had the same problem when she was carrying me."

"Really? So, what caused this anyway? Is it just because you two possess so much magical energy yourselves?" Ron asked while picking up Hermione's other hand to hold.

"Um, well, do you happen to remember when I threatened you in here with that fireball?" Harry asked meekly.

"How the bloody hell could I forget that?" Ron asked.

"Right. Well, I found out that I possess Ignes Venificum, or fire magic." Harry looked up to see a look of awe on Ron's face. "So on top of regular magical abilities, I also have fire magic abilities. I guess my son has inherited it also with the amount of magic he seems to already possess. She's only about six weeks into her pregnancy. I'm so afraid that this will continue to get worse the further along she gets." Harry brought Hermione's hand up to his lips and pressed a soft kiss onto the back of it.

They both sat in relative silence for a while, seemingly just watching Hermione while she lay there when really they were both thinking of everything they had been talking about. Harry suddenly remembered what he had wanted to talk to Ron about. "Um, Ron I have something I need to ask you."

"Ok" said Ron, curiously looking at Harry.

Harry looked him straight in the eye and said "you've been my best mate for six years now; your a brother to me in all sense of the word. I wanted to know if you would be one of my groomsmen?"

Ron looked stunned for a moment, and then his eyes became bright as he said "I would be proud to mate."

"Good, because if you said no Hermione was going to make you a bridesmaid." Harry and Ron started laughing, both realizing how good it felt.

"Couldn't you just see me in a dress?" Ron asked cheekily.

"Actually..." Harry said still laughing.

Ron gave him a mock glare and started laughing along with him again. They both looked up as they heard the doors to the ward open and saw Hermione's parents walk in, accompanied by Lupin and Dumbledore.

"Oh Harry, what happened?" Hermione's Mum asked.

"Basically, she's suffering from a magic overload." he said, drawing confused expressions from everyone. "The baby's magic is strong already, and it's growing quickly. Even though she's a witch, she's a muggleborn also and her body isn't really handling both of their magic very well. Madam Pomfrey said she thinks she found something that will help, it'll just take her a while to prepare it."

Hermione's Mum bent down and gave Harry a hug then turned and sat on the bed next to her daughter. "This remedy that Madam Pomfrey is going to give her, will it cure this completely?" she asked with tears in her eyes.

As Robert Granger walked over and put a comforting hand on his wife's shoulder, Harry said "she's not sure. This might continue to get worse later in her pregnancy."

Remus walked over to Harry and put his hand on his shoulder. "How are you doing Harry?" he asked concerned.

"I'm ok; I just want her to get better. I hate that she's going through this because of me" he replied with sadness in his voice.

"Harry, did Madam Pomfrey happen to tell you about your Mum?" asked Remus.

"You mean about how she went through the exact same thing with me and almost died?" Harry asked, and when Remus nodded he said "yeah, it kind of surprised me. But I told her about the fire magic and she said that could help her find something to help."

"Bloody hell, Harry, is this her engagement ring?" Ron asked holding up the hand where her ring was nestled on her ring finger. Harry just smiled a sad smile, and Ron said "got to admit, mate, you have great taste!"

This caused everyone to laugh a little, lightening the mood of the room. Jane Granger looked at Harry and asked "would you mind if I stayed in here tonight?"

"No, not at all. You are her Mum, I should be the one asking if I can stay" said Harry. As the night wore on, the five of them stood kind of a vigil in the hospital ward. Madam Pomfrey came out of her office after a couple of hours with a goblet of potion. She made her way to the bed and noticed everyone standing around. She looked at Harry and said "do you think you could help me with this?"

"Sure, what do I need to do?" he asked, getting up from his chair.

"Just hold her head up while administer this, like Remus did the last time she was in here" said the nurse moving next to Hermione's head. Harry did as he was told, and soon the potion was gone. They all sat nervously as Madam Pomfrey went into her office again and quickly came back out. "If this works, she should wake up within thirty minutes." She waited about five minutes, and using her wand checked Hermione's vitals again. "Some of the energy has already dissipated, I believe its working."

Everyone released the breath they didn't know they were holding. "Well, I have some business I need to attend to" said Dumbledore "Remus, please be sure to update me on Miss Granger's condition. As for everyone else, feel free to spend the night here in the ward if you wish." He turned and left the ward with the nurse glaring at him all the way.

"Well, grab a bed" she said haughtily "I'll be checking on her in fifteen minutes."

Hermione's Mum looked at Harry and said "you mentioned this happened with your Mum? I wonder if it happens to all witches?"

"I asked Madam Pomfrey the same question, and it seems that only my Mum and Hermione have been affected this way. It has something to do with the fire magic that was passed down to me. Did she mention anything to you about it?" Harry asked.

"Yes, after your run-in at the hospital. She said you were more powerful than most wizards" her Dad replied.

"According to Madam Pomfrey, with Hermione being such a strong witch and me with my extra powers, this child has the potential to be more powerful than Dumbledore" Harry said, and watched the astonished looks dawn on their faces.

"Bloody hell, Harry! More powerful than Dumbledore? Nobody's been more powerful than him!" exclaimed Ron.

"Yeah, I know. I'm just hoping that Voldemort doesn't find any of this out" said Harry looking towards Lupin.

"Me too, Harry, me too" replied Lupin, giving his shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"Harry?"

They all jumped as they heard Hermione utter that one word. Remus went and fetched Madam Pomfrey, while Hermione's parents rushed to the side of her bed. They all waited with baited breath as the nurse once again examined her. When she finished and looked at them with a smile, they all breathed a sigh of relief. "She's still going to have to stay the rest of the night for observation" said the nurse pointedly.

"What happened?" asked Hermione groggily. They all turned towards her and Harry sat down beside her on the bed.

"You fainted Love" he said while holding her hand. "You had us right worried."

"I feel horrible." Suddenly she had a fearful look on her face as she asked "everything is ok though, right?" and looked down towards her stomach.

"He's fine" Harry said smiling at her. "You gave us a scare, but thankfully Madam Pomfrey fixed you up."

Hermione looked around at the people surrounding her and smiled. She saw Ron and grabbed his hand "Ron, you're here! How are you feeling?"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that instead?" he asked while squeezing her hand. "I'm doing ok. I've been keeping Harry company while we waited for you to wake up."

"Does that mean..."she started to say, but was interrupted by Harry "that we made up? Yes, we talked things through and came to the realization that we're both prats" he said.

"I'm so glad we're all friends again. It didn't seem right not being all together" she said squeezing both of their hands.

"Well, I should go tell Dumbledore you're awake and ok" said Remus standing next to Harry.

"Remus, could I talk to you for just a second?" Harry asked, motioning to a spot away from the group. When they were a little distance from everyone else, Harry said "I have something I need to ask and I pray you won't be upset with me. I was wondering if you would mind if Ron was my best man? I feel like I should be asking you to do it since you've done so much for me; it's just that Ron and I have been through so much together. You are a father figure to me, but Ron's my brother."

Remus looked at him for a moment, and then said "Harry I completely understand. I'm glad you two have resolved your differences, and I'm still honored to be a groomsman."

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. "I was so worried you would be offended by my asking" he said.

"Ron is close to both you and Hermione; I know where you are coming from. I remember your parents wedding and how glad I was just to be included. They would be proud of you for the way you are handling things." Remus patted him on the shoulder, turned towards the door saying "I should go see Dumbledore now" and walked away.

The group consisting of Harry, Ron and Hermione's parents stayed in the ward that night. Harry slid the bed that was next to Hermione's over so it was side by side with hers. They talked for a little while, explaining to Hermione exactly what had happened and what Madam Pomfrey had explained to them about her condition. Finally, they all went to sleep when Hermione had fallen asleep again. The morning of the first day of classes dawned bright. Harry got up and woke Ron so they could get ready for classes. They went to Gryffindor tower and up to their dormitories to shower. After getting dressed, Ron decided to head to the great hall to eat while Harry went back to see Hermione. When he walked in the ward, Hermione was sitting up in bed, dressed. She smiled at him as he walked up to her and sat down next to her.

"How come your up?" he asked.

"Madam Pomfrey said I was ok to go to class. Everything is back to normal this morning. I'm going to have to come in once a week for check-ups and to take the potion she gave me last night." Harry could see she was excited to start classes.

"Feel up to breakfast?" he asked while standing and offering her his arm.

"I'm starved!" she said getting up also and linking her arm through his.

That morning was the start of a very hectic week. Hermione's Mum had taken over, claiming that she didn't want Hermione to get stressed out and possibly end up in the hospital ward again. Every night they would meet in her parents' room and go over everything that had been accomplished that day. The night before Hermione's birthday, Remus took Hermione and her Mum to Madam Malkin's in Diagon Alley to find a dress to wear for the ceremony. She tried on many, and finally found the perfect one. They also found a bridesmaid dress for Ginny and Lavender that Hermione loved! It was a burgundy colored floor length ball gown with a straight skirt that had a slit of golden material sewn in. The top had spaghetti straps, and the bodice was princess design with another swath of golden material sewn into it too. She loved that it was Gryffindor colors and it was a simple design. They picked up two of them and made sure they were charmed to automatically shrink or expand to fit the person wearing it. While Hermione went to find a store that carried ribbon for the girls to entwine in their hair and a headpiece for herself, her Mum said she needed to run a quick errand for her Dad. Deciding on a time to meet back at the Leaky Cauldron they went their separate ways with Remus joining her Mum.

"So what are we really shopping for?" Remus asked with a smile.

"Hermione's birthday present. Tomorrow's her sixteenth birthday; I want to get her something special. Plus Harry gave me some money to get her something from him too. Now I just have to decide what to get" her Mum said while looking around at all the shops. She spotted what looked to be a jewelry shop and decided to start there. She went inside and started looking through all of the jewelry cases. She decided to look for a necklace that Hermione could wear for her wedding and everyday. She perused all the necklaces and stopped when she found a beautiful gold oval locket. On the front there was a tree with lots of branches, and on every branch, in place of leaves were diamonds. She motioned for the sales witch to come over and asked, "May I see that locket?" pointing it out. When the witch handed it to her, the light glinted off all of the diamonds on the front. She opened it up and saw that it had two empty places to put pictures.

"The tree on the front is known as the Celtic Tree of Life" said the woman pointing to the locket. "The ancient Celts believed all living things were spiritual, mystical beings, not just inanimate objects to be exploited. They believed trees in particular were a source of great wisdom with the power to bridge the gap between the upper and lower worlds and bring blessings from the gods."*

"Is there a way to replace four of the diamonds for birth stones?" Jane asked.

"Sure, we can also put an inscription on the back of it if you would like" said the sales witch smiling politely.

"Ok, the birthstones are July, September, March and December. For the inscription, I'd like it to read ' Give all to love; obey thy heart. We love you! Mum & Dad'. As the witch went to do as she had asked, Jane started looking for what she could get for Harry to give to Hermione. She started looking at bracelets and saw something that would match the necklace and her engagement ring. It was a six and a half inch fourteen carat gold bracelet with two gold hearts interlaced. She could get their names engraved on each heart with the birth stones under their names. When the sales witch brought the necklace, Jane asked about the bracelet and what she wanted done to it. Five minutes later, she was standing at the cash register paying for the necklace and bracelet. Taking the bag and thanking the woman, she and Remus left to meet up with Hermione.

Hermione's birthday came, and she finally woke to a bright, sunny day in her room in Gryffindor tower. It had been such an awful couple of weeks, it was nice to think that the fates were finally smiling down on her. She showered and got dressed for the day, then made her way down to the common room. When she got down there, she gasped in surprise. Her parents, Ron, Harry and what looked to be every Gryffindor was standing there waiting for her. There was a huge banner on the wall that read 'Happy Sweet Sixteen Hermione!' with the letters dancing around and changing colors every few seconds. Her parents were the first to greet her with a huge hug, then Harry walked up to her with a dozen yellow roses (her favorite!) and gave her a sweet kiss.

"Happy Birthday Love!" Harry exclaimed. He bent closer to her ear and whispered "I wanted to do this for you this morning since technically we're not supposed to see each other tonight."

She smiled and kissed him again, drawing wolf whistles from all of their classmates. "Why don't we go down to breakfast?" she asked.

"Sounds good to me" said Ron rubbing his growling stomach, which made everyone laugh.

"One more thing" said Harry stopping her from going with the rest "you'll get your presents at dinner tonight, that way you have all day to think about what you might be getting." Wiggling his eye brows up and down in a suggestive manner, he started laughing at the look on Hermione's face as she smacked his arm.

They went down to the Great Hall and sat down to eat. Before the food appeared, Dumbledore stood up once again with his hands raised and said "May I please have just a moment of your time. I know that tomorrow is Saturday, but due to special circumstances we will be having an important assembly here in the Hall at eleven o'clock. Lunch will be served right after the conclusion of the assembly. Thank-you." After he sat back down in his chair, the food appeared on the tables. Ron, Harry and Hermione all shared a secret smile, knowing exactly what the 'assembly' actually was. Soon the owl post arrived, and Hermione looked up to see Hedwig fly in. When she looked closer, she noticed Hedwig had a red rose clutched in her talon, which she promptly dropped on the table in front of her. Pig came right after, dropping a pink rose in the same place. Hermione watched in amazement as fourteen more owls flew in one at a time, dropping a different colored rose on the pile. When the last owl flew away, Hermione looked at Harry teary-eyed.

"Thank-you so much Harry!" she said, flinging her arms around him in a crushing hug.

"Don't just thank me; Ron and I chipped in on this together. We wanted to do something special" Harry said with a huge smile on his face.

Hermione got up from where she was sitting and walked all the way around the table to where Ron was sitting opposite Harry. She gave him a big hug also, saying "I must be the luckiest girl in the world to have two great guys like you in my life!"

Ron blushed a bright red while Harry continued to smile at his fiancee. After the show of owls and flowers, all their friends gathered around congratulating Ron and Harry for the great surprise. Hermione told them she would meet them in class, grabbed her bunch of flowers, and headed up to her room.

'This is the best birthday I've ever had' she thought to herself with a smile as she left the Hall 'and it's just started!'

~I hope I've done this chapter justice. There was so much to describe, whew! Anyway, you'll find out what Hermione's dress looks like in the next chapter. If you want to see a pic of the bridesmaid dress, go to

http://wedding.weddingchannel.com/fashion/popup.asp?type=bridesmaid&breadcrumb=/fashion/gown_bridesmaid.asp&gownLength=FLOOR&count=139&large=no

This is the picture that inspired the dress in this chapter. Just replace the white with gold :) ~ *All info on the Celtic Tree of Life was found at www.fantasy-ireland.com