Unofficial Portkey Archive

Forever Together Part 1. Hermione's Tear by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Forever Together Part 1. Hermione's Tear

Solomon Aegis

Disclaimer

The characters and universe created by J.K.Rowling are hers alone. As imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I hope this story can be taken in that way. Some of the additional characters are mine and who knows some of them may even be real.

a/n Thanks to all those reading this tale, if you like it please review, if you don't why are you still reading it? This is a little light interlude.

10. A Trip to the Moon.

Hermione was sitting in her usual spot of the common room surrounded by books and scribbling feverishly on a piece of parchment.

"What's she up to tonight Harry?" Ron asked "I thought you said you had finished all your homework".

"Yeah we have, I think that's next week's. You know she likes to keep ahead".

"You know I'm sort of glad you ended up with her."

Harry looked sharply at his friend "What do you mean?" he said slightly louder than he intended. Hermione looked up at them with a frown.

"Don't get narked. I just mean I don't think I could ever have kept up with her" he paused unsure whether to continue. "You know I fancied her something rotten in the fourth year." He sighed. "She never encouraged me so eventually I gave up. You are very lucky, but I realise that you two are meant for each other."

Ron hadn't admitted this to Harry before. Harry knew but only from what Hermione had told him. He wasn't even sure that she had realised how taken with her he had been. He shivered, a straight fight for Hermione between him and Ron would have blown their friendship apart. He gave silent thanks to whatever deity had steered them around that potential disaster.

Harry placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. "I didn't know you were that smitten, I'm sorry".

"All water under the bridge now mate" said Ron brightly "I have my sights set on another quarry now, and I need some help from you".

The weekend before St.Valentine's Day was set aside as a Hogsmead weekend. For Harry and Hermione this was to be their first Valentines together. Hermione was rather excited and was extremely put out when Harry asked Luna Lovegood if she would like to come along with them.

"What are you playing at Harry? I know that we really get on well with each other but honestly, I thought today would be ours!" she was definitely not happy.

"It will be. This is for a friend to sort of make up for a disappointment".

"And what disappointment would that be. Is it so important that you would let ruin our first Valentines together?"

Harry decided that understanding a jealous woman was quite beyond him, they seemed to become very irrational. He readied himself for the worst and said "He was disappointed that you are going out with me instead of him, he was really quite serious about you for a while. However he hasn't let that bother him or get between us, and as he is our best friend I would do anything to help him."

Hermione looked shocked and embarrassed. "Ron…..Ron was serious, I thought it was just a crush. Oh……I love him like a brother but ……Oh goodness!"

"It's alright Hermione, you know he's happy for us and accepted the way things are, it doesn't bother him. Anyway he says he has his sights set on another target".

"Luna!?"

Harry nodded slowly. The look on Hermione's face was so unexpected that Harry began to laugh.

Hermione scowled "Don't make fun of me Mr Potter" she threw her arms around him and drew him to her. "Alright I won't complain, and I think you're wonderful you know".

That Saturday morning Harry, Hermione and Luna Lovegood left the confines of the school and walked the path to Hogsmead. The day started out dry but still quite cold, the three spent a little time doing the round of the shops but then by mid morning a steady cold drizzle started falling from the sky.

At Harry's suggestion they made for the Three Broomsticks. Surprisingly, Ron was also sheltering in the pub, and they joined him at his table. Harry as usual stood a round of butterbeers, then after a short while, he excused himself looking pointedly at Hermione as he stood up.

He waited in the doorway sheltering from the rain and before long Hermione joined him. They exchanged conspiratorial looks then, hand in hand, at Hermione's insistence they headed out for Madam Puddifoots.

Back inside the Three Broomsticks the silence at the table Harry and Hermione had vacated had lasted for almost five minutes. Ron was sitting on his hands staring at anything except his target of choice; he was just about to start to hum under his breath to try to perpetuate his indifference when Luna broke the impasse by giggling.

"I don't think Harry and Hermione are coming back, are they Ron?"

"Err……umm….No……Perhaps they've got sidetracked". He didn't sound very convincing.

Luna began to sing a very quiet rendition of 'Weasley is our King'. Ron was so nervous he could hardly speak.

"Err………Luna?"

"Yes Ron 'that's why we all sing, Weasley is our King' what?"

"Do you err…….umm" words failed him again.

An old wizard sitting at the next table shook his head. "Don't know what's wrong with the youth today" he turned in his seat and faced Ron who had the look of a boy who was trying to ask a girl out and completely failing. "If you're going to ask the girl out just get on with it, the worst she can do is laugh and say no."

Ron looked shyly at Luna "Would you laugh and say no if I asked you out?"

Luna laughed, "No" she said.

Ron sat and thought for a moment "That means you would go out with me then?"

"Yes" she replied.

Ron broke into a wide grin, outside the rain had stopped and the sun came out. "Could we go for a walk? I need to talk to you about something" he looked at the old wizard who was leaning back in his chair to eavesdrop on the conversation. "In private!"

They walked down the village street, and stopped just after they had passed the last house.

"I've wanted to ask you out for quite a while" said Ron "But I haven't been able to pluck up the courage."

"That's funny I've been wanting you to do that since the last Quidditch match of last year".

"Gosh, that long?"

"Hmm" she nodded. "I've been wanting to do something else as well" She jumped up to reach and kissed him quickly on his cheek. Then made to turn away in embarrassment and slipped. She would have fallen but Ron grabbed her and held her up. She was facing him supported in his arms her head buried in his chest. She looked up. The top of her head was level with his chin, he looked down, and he could see the brightness in her eyes. It seemed the right thing to do. He lowered his head and very gently kissed her on the lips. Her arms which had been hanging loosely at her sides came up to encircle his neck, and she returned the favour.

Harry had not been all that keen to return to the site of his disastrous outing with Cho the year before, but summoning all his Gryffindor courage he entered the tea shop with Hermione on his arm. The decorations did not seem as lurid as they had before, he didn't know if that was a fact or just that you had to be in a certain frame of mind to appreciate them. He managed to block out all the other couples by the simple expedient of not taking his eyes off Hermione.

They ordered a pot of tea and two toasted currant buns, and sat quietly at one of the tables by the window. This was really very pleasant, there was none of the awkwardness that he had experienced last time. He even relaxed enough to risk looking at what was going on at the other tables. The couples sitting on either side of the little round tables that littered the room were struggling to remain unobtrusive as they reached over the cups, saucers, jugs of milk and pots of tea that formed a barrier between them to hold the hand or partake of a quick kiss with their partner.

It suddenly occurred to Harry that his situation was different, Hermione was not on the other side of the table she was sitting next to him, as close as she could. This was a much better state of affairs, no crockery to negotiate, he slipped an arm round her shoulder and felt her lean into him. This is what Valentines at Madam Puddifoots was all about, he understood now.

After about half an hour, Harry, who had periodically glanced out of the window, thought he could see a vague shape which could have been Ron. Using the sleeve of his robes to clear a patch of glass of the condensation which built up in the shop, and not just from the hot tea, he saw a sight that made him smile.

"Look Hermione" brown bushy hair touched black as they both looked through the small peephole. Ron and Luna were walking back towards the castle hand in hand. Ron was obviously on cloud nine and was paying little attention to anything except the young witch with him. Luna was looking up at Ron but as they passed the tea shop she glanced to the window that Harry and Hermione were glued to. She threw them a smile and they could quite clearly see her mouth 'Thank you'.

"Well" said Harry "At least someone is happy."

Hermione gave him a dangerous look "And you're not!"

"Me… couldn't be better". He quipped. He kissed the back of her hand and then ducked the swing she took at him.

He had seen them from the entrance to his sewer. Leaving the tea shop they had walked past him less than six feet away. "She is your weakness Harry. I can tell, you would do anything to save her, you will have your chance to be her hero. Then when the necklace is in my hand…."

Ron returned to the Gryffindor common room late that evening. Harry and Hermione were cuddled up on the sofa in front of the fire, Ron walked past them without seeming to see them.

"Get on OK mate?" Harry asked.

"Great" said Ron continuing to walk to the stairs.

"Did Luna enjoy Hogsmead?" Hermione asked.

"Great" said Ron he floated up the first step.

"Special lesson tomorrow Ron, double potions just you and the Slytherins" said Harry trying not to laugh.

"Great" said Ron as he disappeared up to the dormitory.

In the common room Harry and Hermione dissolved into fits of laughter.

Over the weeks that followed Ron paraded his attachment to Luna for all to see. A lot of the interest that had been channelled towards Harry and Hermione's relationship shifted to Ron and as far as Harry was concerned this was a blessing. He was never one to court attention, whatever Professor Snape may have thought. The lack of attention allowed both Hermione and Harry to have some quiet moments to themselves as well as concentrating on their work.

To his continual amazement he was still well up with his course work and even ahead in Defence Against the Dark Arts. Professor Aegis didn't let up at all but Harry was finding that the standard sixth and seventh year lessons weren't stretching him as much as he imagined they would.

The study periods with the Tyr were a different matter. All six were increasing in power and in the ability to work as a team. But Harry still felt a need to increase his knowledge; it was Aegis himself who gave him the answer.

"The best way to expand the mind is to pass on knowledge to others Harry. Why do you think all the Professors are so clever?" he said with a sideways wink to Hermione, who rolled her eyes expressively.

"You mean restart the DA. Will the Headmaster allow it?" asked Harry.

"Err… yes and… yes." replied Aegis. "He will even go as far as to make it a legal school club, on one condition."

"What condition Professor?" asked Hermione.

"You must accept suitable candidates from all the houses".

"But Professor, that means Slytherin" Harry complained.

Professor Aegis gave Harry a look "When I was fishing a while ago I seem to have overheard someone standing in his common room and saying 'Remember, Forever Together, that's what it will take, that's what we must remain.' You were spot on there Harry, but it has to apply to all that are willing. Whatever background they may come from, if they are willing to fight under your banner you must accept them, you cannot have too many Nevilles on your side.

"Do we have to throw open the doors then? Last year it was by recommendation and word of mouth that we chose the members" said Hermione

"No, it would be pointless diluting the DA with unsuitable members, use your friends and contacts, if you wish I will speak with Severus and see if he knows of any likely candidates."

Harry scowled, he was not happy about this development. "Remember Harry what could have happened at your sorting if Hagrid hadn't warned you about Slytherin".

"How did you know that?" Harry said in surprise.

"An older and wiser wizard than I told me. However I am more inclined to agree with your sentiments about the Sorting Hat's thoughts, I think you are well placed".

Harry discussed these developments, initially with the Tyr, and then with an impromptu meeting of the old DA members. In both cases there was resistance to the idea of allowing Slytherin in, but in the end it was conceded that if the allegiance was there then no student should be refused.

Hermione, as before, looked into advanced charms which could be used to ensure allegiance and this time she promised that a spotty face would be the least of any traitor's worries.

Ron meanwhile, being an old fashioned boy, from an old fashioned family, in a world that was not really up to date, continued to woo his young lady, slowly and sedately. It was a new experience for him to have someone to care and worry about that was not a member of his family or have a first name that began with H. He began to understand that if Harry felt the same obligations for all his friends, as he did toward Luna, then the weight on his shoulders must be immense. He finally understood what sort of person Harry really was, he felt privileged that he was his friend and very glad he wasn't him.

Most evenings for as long as homework would allow Ron and Luna would take a stroll down a little used corridor. At it's end was a window which opened out onto a flat area of roof which was sheltered on three sides by the castle walls but had a breathtaking view out over the lake to the mountains beyond. They would sit together wrapped in a cloak to keep warm

talking about things, unimportant to the world in general, but very important when you are falling in love.

On one such evening they sat together looking up at a sky that was crystal clear. The stars were very bright and the crescent moon had risen and its light was dancing over the surface of the lake.

"I wonder what it's like up there?" mused Luna.

"Where?" said Ron gazing into her eyes.

"On the moon, Silly" she said nodding in its direction.

"Made of cheese, isn't it?" said Ron not really paying much attention to the conversation.

"Sometimes I think you are just making fun of me. I'm not that daft. I was put in Ravenclaw for a reason you know. I read in a muggle book, that, if you were there, on the moon, that you would feel all light and floaty, and your insides would sort of turn over."

"Well, that settles it" said Ron as he leaned toward Luna to kiss her, "I'm already there".