Unofficial Portkey Archive

Forever Together Part 1. Hermione's Tear by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Forever Together Part 1. Hermione's Tear

Solomon Aegis

2. Solomon Aegis

Harry and Hermione had left the Headmaster's study in the company of Dobby the House Elf, whom Dumbledore had assured would be looking after them over the summer. They followed Dobby down several flights of stairs and it became obvious that they were not heading in the direction of the Gryffindor tower. He led the pair down a corridor they had not entered before, or if they ever had, it must have looked very different, and stopped in front of a set of fine oak double doors.

"Harry Potter, Sir and Miss Hermione these are the guest rooms, it is where Professor Dumbledore says you should be staying now." said Dobby. "Easy for Dobby to keep clean and closer to the kitchens than your common room. We hopes you find them acceptable."

Harry didn't think that anyone would dislike the rooms they had just entered. The double doors had opened onto a sitting room with a high ceiling and heavily panelled walls, a large bay window looked out onto the school lawns and the lake beyond.

There were three doors leading off the main room which turned out to be two bedrooms and a bathroom.

"All the comforts of home Harry."

"I hope not." He replied with a grin.

"Look all our stuff has been put into the bedrooms already… Oh! yours has a bigger window than mine."

"Swap if you want."

"No I don't think so cos' I'm closer to the bathroom which might be handy"

Harry was feeling a little uncomfortable about them sharing, partly because he had never lived in such close proximity to a girl before, and also, he had admitted to himself, that he was rather pleased that if he was sharing with anyone it was Hermione, and he wasn't sure he should be thinking that way.

She on the other hand was very happy with the arrangements, sure it was a bit strange but she knew Harry so well that she felt as safe as if she had been in her own home. Looking at him standing there with a bemused expression on his face she corrected herself, she felt safer, much safer.

After they had settled in Harry took out the Marauders Map to see who was in the castle. Only one or two of the teachers were present, Professor Sprout was pottering around the greenhouses and Flitwick was in his study. Filtch the caretaker and his cat Mrs Norris were wandering around the corridors. Hagrid was not in his hut, though Fang was, so he must be around somewhere. Other than these few, themselves and Dumbledore the castle was empty.

After sorting out all their belongings, they spent the rest of the day walking in the grounds, both deciding that the lack of students made the whole place much more peaceful. They found that they could appreciate the beauty of their surroundings and realised how lucky they were. They returned to the castle by the path that passed Hagrid's hut but he was still not there. Climbing up the path Hermione started to get out of breath and Harry unconsciously held out his hand to her, she took it and allowed herself to be pulled along and up the steps. They reached the top of the rise and headed out over the flat lawns which surrounded the old castle.

Harry, like most boys of his age, was not given to flights of fancy but as he looked around he thought it was a beautiful day. In the evening sunshine you could see for miles over the surrounding countryside. The surface of the lake sparkled with light as a lazy tentacle from the giant squid lifted out of the water then splashed back down.

Harry mused, what could be better than being in these lovely surroundings, hand in hand with a pretty girl…………… Whoa! Harry's daydream suddenly ground to a halt. 'Hang on this was Hermione here, his best friend'. He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. Well she was undeniably pretty, and not showing any inclination of letting go of his hand. He reasoned if Hermione wasn't complaining, who was he to argue.

Harry smiled outwardly.

Hermione smiled inwardly.

They returned to their rooms to find the table laid. They suddenly realised how hungry they were and demolished the meal Dobby had provided for them. Fully replete they finished the evening; quietly reading as the shadows grew, eventually retiring to their own rooms for the night. Harry lay in bed and thought how wonderful the last twelve hours had been. He had really enjoyed Hermione's company and felt a little guilty that he hadn't read much at all that evening as most of the time he had been stealing glances at her over his book. It just seemed that he couldn't keep his eyes off her. Was there something wrong with him?

Hermione lay in bed and thought how wonderful the last twelve hours had been. She had really enjoyed Harry's company and felt a little guilty that she hadn't read much at all that evening as most of the time she had been stealing glances at him, when he had not been looking at her over his book. There was a warm feeling deep inside her, it made her want to laugh out loud, and she had a sneaky suspicion that she knew the cause of it. She smiled another secret smile and fell asleep.

After breakfast the following morning Harry and Hermione made their way to the entrance hall, as a note from Dumbledore delivered with their meal had asked. The three of them waited by the large oak doors which were open letting in the bright sunlight, it was a lovely day, a warm breeze, and a clear blue sky.

Hermione gave a little gasp of surprise as out on the lawns a patch of mist seemed to be appearing. It thickened, so that they could now not see the lake beyond it. Strangely the mist was not affected by the wind, and remained still, while the surrounding trees moved lazily with it.

Then from the mist stepped a figure, tall, but not as tall as Dumbledore, with a frame to match his height. He was dressed in brown, not a drab colour but one that had suggestions of autumn in it. He wore wizards' robes which ended at his knees showing trousers which were tucked into calf length boots made of soft leather. His shoulder length hair was sandy in colour and was shot through with silver. It had a curl in it which could have given Hermione's hair a run for its money.

He reminded Harry of an elderly lion.

A movement at his side made the man look down. Harry's heart leapt and Hermione gasped yet again. For out of the mist had stepped a large black dog. Not as big as Sirius had been, nor as shaggy, for his coat was sleek and shone in the sun.

Harry in his shock did not realise this and a longing "Sirius" escaped from his lips. Dumbledore placed a restraining hand on his shoulder as he made to move forward.

"No Harry, not Sirius"

Harry seemed to deflate and he felt Hermione's hand slip into his and give a reassuring squeeze.

Harry straightened as the man and his dog walked toward them and the mist he had emerged from evaporated as fast as it had appeared. He noticed that the man walked with a slight limp.

Harry and Hermione followed Dumbledore's lead as he descended the steps of the castle to greet the newcomer.

"Both Hogwarts and I welcome you, we hope you will be very happy here!" said Dumbledore.

The man said nothing but placed his right hand over his heart and bowed his head.

"Harry, Hermione this is your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. May I present to you Professor Solomon Aegis."

Professor Aegis turned to Harry and gazed intently into his eyes, smiling sadly. "I must apologise to you Harry, I should have realised the effect my familiar would have had on you. Maybe, once you know him, he will comfort you, as he does me." His voice was deep, almost a growl.

Harry did not understand how the new professor could have known about Sirius' other form but felt grateful to him none the less, for his words.

Aegis turned his hazel eyes to Hermione who found herself beginning to blush. He smiled without the sadness now and repeating his hand gesture bowed low to her.

"I am very pleased to meet the both of you, I am sure there is a lot we can learn from each other."

The Headmaster ushered Aegis into the castle and informed Harry and Hermione that they should meet in the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom after lunch. They turned to go out in the grounds in a more concerted attempt to find Hagrid and Harry found himself staring straight into the eyes of the dog. They were brown, like Hermione's but a shade or two darker and the stare that was returned seemed to bore right into his mind and Harry found a feeling of warmth and comfort wash over him.

Hermione was watching this exchange and saw a smile appear on Harry's face, a genuine smile, and one not tinged with sadness.

"Come on Harry, lets find Hagrid" and taking his hand she lead him away from the school.

The dog sat and watched them go, then with a wag of his tail ran up the steps of the castle in the wake of his companion.

The pair walked back to the castle at 12 o'clock, they had discovered Hagrid in his pumpkin patch trying to solve his continual problem with slugs. He explained that the flesh eating slug repellent was not working and he had resorted to picking them out by hand. He offered them a cup of tea and some cake but as he had a large slug hanging from his fingers as he did this they both reluctantly declined.

As to his absence yesterday, he had been in the forest with his little brother Gawp who was 'cumin' along nicely, thank you very much' and also trying, without much success, to re-establish contact with the centaurs.

It had suddenly occurred to Hagrid, after they had been talking for about an hour, that Harry and Hermione were at school, out of term time and was fascinated to hear their story of the arrival of the new teacher and surprised that Dumbledore had asked them to be here to meet him.

"No doubt 'e'll 'ave 'is reasons." Hagrid had said. "Great man, Dumbledore, don't always understand 'im but great man never the less".

They climbed the stairs to their rooms and found that Dobby had left them a light lunch. As they ate Hermione in a shy voice said, "Harry do you remember yesterday you mentioned a prophecy and you said you would tell me about it..?"

"I said maybe"

"Please Harry". She implored.

Harry looked thoughtful "Well….I wasn't going to tell anyone but it was the one that we thought we had lost, the one that Voldemort was after. I know what it said. You see it was originally told to Dumbledore by Professor Trelawney"

Hermione looked sceptical "And he believed it?"

"Yeh! She can do it properly, not very often, only twice so far, but they are real".

So Harry told Hermione the prophecy word for word and watched her face mirror the horror he had been concealing since he had first heard it.

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not…and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies.

"Oh Harry! What are we going to do?" there was a catch to her voice and the beginnings of tears in her eyes.

"We? I'm not sure it's a case of 'we'. I think it's down to me alone".

"No Mr. Potter if you think that for one moment I will let you fulfil this prophecy, without me to help, you've another think coming, get used to it, I will be there with or without your permission, ……..and I am sure Ron will too." She finished quietly.

Harry was about to open his mouth and say something he would have regretted later when a deep voice sounded in both their minds.

"It's certainly a good place to start. Please would you both come down to the classroom, I need to talk to you in person."

The pair looked at each other in surprise and jumping up they headed for the door and the waiting Professor.

In the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom Solomon Aegis sat on the front desk and surveyed his surroundings. The dark detectors on the shelves lining the walls were all quiet and unmoving. The shadows in the foe glass were faint and indistinct. He looked down at the dog lying on the floor resting his head on his front feet.

"Not much like home is it?" even though no words were spoken the dog raised his eyes and "Foods good" was the thought that came back.

"I think your stomach is all that you ever worry about".

"It's in my genes you know". Finished the silent conversation.

…………………………..

As he lay in his bed attempting to get to sleep Harry thought back to the afternoon and their discussion with Professor Aegis.

Aegis had asked them to tell him about the time they had spent at Hogwarts, all five years worth. Although the story had taken a good while to go through the Professor had sat and listened to every word.

The weakness of Professor Quirrell.

The foppishness of Professor Lockhart.

The curse on an otherwise wonderful Professor Lupin.

The evil of Professor Moody (aka. Barty Crouch Jr.) but at least he did know his stuff.

The despotic Professor, High Inquisitor, bloody woman, Umbridge as Hermione had put it

"If you will pardon my language" she added.

At this point it dawned on them that throughout the years nearly all their problems had involved the Defence professor and their fates had been well deserved, except for Remus who although still a werewolf was a nice guy. And who were they describing all this to?

Their new Defence professor gave them a look over the top of his reading glasses. "Quite a lot to live up to, at least let us start on the same side and we'll take it from there." He laughed out loud.

The telling of the last few months which had led to the fight at the Ministry and the death of Sirius was difficult for Harry but he found that living through the nightmare once again allowed his feelings to surface properly. In the company of Hermione and the new Professor for the first time he really came to terms with what had happened.

Harry had revealed that he was still convinced that the whole affair was his fault. Hermione protested loudly, as she had before, that his views were rubbish.

Harry had been looking at the professor during this and the thought he received was

'You will always feel some blame, if you didn't you would be just like HIM. I am sure you learned the lesson; it pays to think very hard before you rush into things'.

Harry had bristled at this, 'the ministry and Sirius' death a lesson?' but then realised that he had discovered this fact himself and merely nodded.

Once the tale was told Aegis asked Hermione if she would stay in the classroom while he had a private word with Harry. They climbed the short flight of stairs to his study, Harry was thinking it was a waste of time as he would tell Hermione all about it once they were alone 'Maybe' came the thought back.

Aegis had started by apologising for speaking directly into Harry's mind.

"I don't mean to intrude, but is a normal way of communication at home and it is a hard habit to break."

He then asked Harry to tell him about Hermione and what he thought of her. Harry had been a little nonplussed with the directness of this question but supposed it wouldn't have been asked if it wasn't important.

So Harry had begun with "I've known her for nearly six years now. We met on the train in our first year. She was so bossy at first but she grows on you and now she's my best friend. Like Ron is, no not like Ron, it is more than that …I confide in her more, I listen to her advice, don't always follow it though. She's the smartest witch in our year, probably in all the years. She is always there when you need her. I find it impossible to think of a time when I won't need her……

I….I suppose I rely on her to be there. When she was hurt at the Ministry I thought she was dead and that I had lost her for ever, I couldn't stand that. At the time the feeling was as bad as when I lost Sirius, no… though I hate to say it…it was worse. Is that wrong? Is it wrong to think like that?"

"No Harry not wrong and very understandable. Hermione has been part of your life for a long time and caring about her is very natural."

"But I loved Sirius, he was my godfather!"

"He was a connection with your parents, the embodiment of the family you thought you had lost, if you like a connection to your past, of what you are. Hermione is something different I think."

Harry had always been very touchy if anyone cast doubts on Sirius and his feelings for him, he had given Dumbledore a very hard time only a month or so ago, but Aegis was right, his love for Sirius was quite different for the lo………………..feelings he had toward Hermione.

As he thought about her Harry smiled; she just made him feel like that.

Hermione couldn't get to sleep. She recalled Harry coming out of the professors' study with a silly grin on his face. "He wants to see you now. I'll wait here for you"

He sat down next to the dog and began to smooth him, lost in his own thoughts.

In the study the professor had asked several innocuous questions about her parents, how she had coped with being thrust into the wizarding world at the age of eleven.

"Well I was nearly twelve by then" she had responded, and then almost slyly he had dropped in, "What do you think about Harry Potter, tell me about him?"

She realised that she had been staring at Aegis with her mouth open, it was after all a very unusual question.

"It is important that I understand the both of you, to help with what is to come. I wouldn't have asked otherwise" He said.

Hermione wrestled with her conscience. She was not sure she wanted anyone to know how she considered Harry, especially someone she had only met a few hours ago. How did she feel about him? That warm feeling deep inside was rekindled. Every thought she had ever had about Harry flashed into her mind, everything they had experienced together, good and bad was there for her to choose from.

"I liked him from the moment I first saw him. It sounds silly to say it and I was only eleven at the time. I think, no, I know, both he and Ron thought I was very bossy then. It took a mountain troll to make us friends and now he's my best friend. He can be so lost and lonely sometimes that it almost hurts, I feel the need to help and comfort him". She was confused and she could feel herself beginning to blush, her thoughts about Harry whirled around in her head, his untidy hair, his eyes, the way he was always breaking his glasses, the fact that she had to push him to do his homework, his green eyes, her pride in the strength of his magic, his brilliant green eyes. Her thoughts slowed, she had forgotten Aegis was there all she could think about were Harry's eyes; they looked into her so deeply sometimes.

"Oh dear!"

She shivered and goosebumps covered her arms, this brought her back to reality and Aegis floated back into focus. Hermione looked directly at the Professor shrugged her shoulders and smiled.

"I love him" She said simply.

Professor Aegis had asked her no more questions. "Just as it should be" was all he said.

He had accompanied her to the door and when she had rejoined Harry, the Professor had asked them to meet with him again tomorrow.

As Hermione drifted off to sleep the warmth that she had felt as they had both unconsciously taken each others hands and walked out of the classroom returned.

Her realisation and her acceptance of the fact that she had fallen for her best friend seemed to open up a whole new set of possibilities. She had a wonderful dream that night.

Several days later they were passing their evening sitting side by side on the sofa in their sitting room trying to read. Hermione put down her book, chewed at her bottom lip, and made a decision.

"Harry that first time we spoke to Professor Aegis did err… he ask you any personal questions?" She was hesitant to ask but knew she couldn't put it off any longer.

Typical boy, Harry hedged his answer "Why?" he became more interested in his book.

Hermione reached over and removed it from his hands, He was trying to read it upside-down anyway.

"Harry Potter you are just being difficult. He asked me about you. Did he ask you about me?"

Harry reddened slightly but remained monosyllabic "Yes"

"And?"

"I said we were best friends"

"Is that all?" Hermione seemed to shrink in on herself.

"Err…No"

"Oh Merlin Harry!" Hermione was rapidly becoming exasperated she desperately wanted a proper answer. She thought the time had come to come clean herself. "Well if it helps… I told him… I love you!"

Harry stared at he his mouth open in shock and wonderment. "You did?"

"Yes I did?"

"Whoa!"

There was silence for a few seconds which to both of them felt like years. Harry cleared his throat.

"I told him that I couldn't see a time when I wouldn't need you. You have become a part of me Hermione, I am not sure I could live without you."

"What do you mean by that then Harry?" girls can be cruel sometimes, from a boy's point of view.

Harry sighed and raised his eyes to Hermione. He gazed at that face he knew so well but also at the person beneath.

"Hermione" he explained "I grew up starved of any love, my Uncle and Aunt certainly have none for me. Only since I have been at Hogwarts have I sampled any of it at all. Mrs Weasley would mother me to death if she could." He smiled "Sirius gave me love, in his own way and I returned it, for the short time we had each other. Dumbledore told me it was his love for me that stopped him for telling me the truth, and I suppose that even when I was so cross with him last term that love was still there, he's more like a grandfather to me than anything else.

What I hadn't realised was that I have really been in love with someone that I met on that first train ride in our first year."

"Harry" spoken very softly, Hermione tried to interrupt.

"No ssh, let me finish, I didn't know it at the time, but I felt it. When you repaired my glasses that day your spell made me tingle all over. Its amazing, but now I look back, almost every day you do something that makes me feel the same way."

Harry reached for Hermione's hand and held it with a gentle touch.

"I think I have been the dumbest boy in the world not to wake up to this before. I love you Miss Granger. I think I always have and I know I always will."

They sat quietly hand in hand, then they drew themselves together, and for the first time their lips met as they kissed.

They cuddled together on the sofa, arms round each other, enjoying their closeness and eventually they both fell into a dreamless sleep.

That was how Dobby found them the next morning when he came in to clean up. He regarded them with his large round eyes and tears came quietly.

'Harry Potter and his Miss Hermione are happy at last' he thought to himself 'This makes Dobby very happy too" and as silently as he had entered the sitting room, he left.

They both knew the love they had for each other was very profound. For the moment knowing that is was there and togetherness was all that was necessary. There would be plenty of time for everything else.

The next two weeks passed in a blur with Harry and Hermione involved in conversation with Aegis, Aegis and Dumbledore and sometimes just Dumbledore. The topics were wide and covered many aspects of the wizarding and muggle worlds. It was only on the day before Harry's birthday that they both understood that what they were doing was clearing up the past, and setting everything straight, in readiness for a new start, the build up to the fulfilment of the prophecy.