Unofficial Portkey Archive

Forever Together Part 1. Hermione's Tear by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Forever Together Part 1. Hermione's Tear

Solomon Aegis

5. Everyone Learns a Little Something.

The last days of August passed very pleasantly for the only two Hogwarts students present in the castle. They filled their time with visits to Hagrid and endless walks in the grounds, making the most of the good weather. The Headmaster and Professor Aegis had preparations to make for the start of the new term and left them to their own devices.

In the course of one walk they had settled in what they were becoming to think of as 'their' spot, down by the lake, under a tree. Harry had his back propped up against the tree roots with Hermione sitting between his legs, leaning back, and resting her head against his chest. As he ran his fingers through her hair and down the side of her neck he sighed.

"'S'matter Harry?" Hermione mumbled dreamily.

"Nothing really it's just…….you know this is almost perfect."

"What do you mean…almost?" there was a slight edge to the question.

"Voldemort" he replied.

"Ohh"

"And Ron" he added.

"Ahh"

"Do you think he'll be OK with us? I don't want it to split the three of us up."

"I don't know Harry; I'm not sure how he'll react. He did make a bit of a move at me last year when we were at Grimmauld Place but I didn't encourage him. Thinking back I had already subconsciously decided on you and I wasn't about to muddy the water."

"Trouble is we both know what he is like, light the fuse and run like hell! And I don't think he will have any idea that we could get together. I mean the letters we sent him were very non committal, they had no hidden meanings, or anything like that did they?"

"No he wont see anything in those" She answered 'not if he's blind' she thought. "Anyway we will deal with Ron however he is. We just mustn't exclude him; we must be honest with him. He is our best friend."

"Yeh you're right as usual, but even without Ron we must be careful how we act. We don't want US to be the only topic of conversation this term. What we have is too special, if we are too open then someone is bound to try and spoil it."

"I am sure we will manage" Hermione said turning round and pulling herself up so that they were face to face. "Even so I think we should make the most of our privacy don't you?"

Any answer Harry tried to give was lost before it got out as she wound her arm about his neck and drew him to her. Their lips met and she treated him to the most passionate kiss Harry had ever experienced.

Much later still in each others arms she lifted her head and looked at the boy, almost a man, that she had pinned her heart to.

"Happy Harry?"

"Umm…Oh yes. You OK Hermione?"

She giggled "Never better."

Harry knew that September held more than the return of the other students, it also held Hermione's 17th birthday.

He had her present, and he thought it was just right, but deep down he felt that he had been manoeuvred into buying it for her and that rankled. He was also worried that she would not think it an appropriate present, and of course she may already have one just like it. Well he couldn't do much about it if she didn't think it was suitable and if she had one just like it he was probably sunk anyway. His original concern he could look into and on the morning of the first he sought out Professor Aegis and asked him straight out.

The Professor looked at Harry with a slight smile on his lips. "Do you ever think fate plays a part in our decisions?"

"Yes, but with Dumbledore and now you around it's hard to tell what's fate and what's not." replied Harry.

"I will tell you this Harry" said Aegis "There are certain items in this world which although inanimate have a destiny of their own and they are not above a bit of manipulation in order to achieve their aims. If Hermione is meant to have this necklace and it is one of these items, then that is where it will end up. I think it would be preferable that you were the one to give it to her, don't you? I can assure you that neither I nor the Headmaster had any influence in your choice of her present."

"Ok that's a good enough answer, I believe you, but what about Lady Niniane?"

"I don't profess to know anything about the way Lady Niniane does anything, Harry. She is a woman of the most complex and confusing type, especially where I am concerned. She is a constant worry to me".

Harry realised that he wasn't going to get anything more from the Professor and so he had to be satisfied with what he had.

Seeing the preparations for the arrival of the Hogwarts Express from the other side was a new experience for Harry and Hermione. They had seen the teachers arrive over the previous few days and today had helped Hagrid with the boats and the Thestrals. They travelled to the station in one of the coaches and through the window could see Hagrid with his flotilla of empty boats crossing the lake.

"Seems a long time since we were in one of those" said Hermione.

"Want to change anything that's happened since then?" Harry asked.

"Not a thing" she replied looking at him and smiling.

"What, not even the bad bits?"

"No Harry you need all the bits, bad and good, to get us where we are now, and that's the bit I don't want to change."

They stood hand in hand next to Hagrid as the scarlet steam engine drew into the platform. As soon as it stopped the carriage doors opened and the student body descended upon Hogwarts for the start of a new school year.

As they searched the sea of heads for signs of Ron, Hagrid's "Firs' years! Firs' years this way!" rang out over the noise and bustle on the platform. Hermione saw Ron first, well it was his red hair that she glimpsed, as he climbed down from the train, it looked as if he had grown again over the summer and when he straightened himself out he was a good head taller than those around him.

As he pushed his way through the crowd he winced in pain as some one trod on his foot. He was about to tell the offender off when "Ron! Ron! Over here!" yelled Hermione. He saw them, waved in return, then as something caught his attention he stood very still and stared at his two friends standing at the back of the platform. The look of pain vanished from his face and was replaced with one that was completely unreadable. Harry suddenly realised that he was still holding Hermione's hand.

-------------------------------------------------

Ron was upset, he thought he knew why he was upset but he wasn't sure. The morning he was due to go to visit his older brother Charlie in Romania, where he was studying dragons, Hedwig had arrived with Harry and Hermione's letter.

"Any interesting news dear?" his mother Molly Weasley had asked.

Ron had said little in reply other than that they had been called back to school by Dumbledore.

As he read more of the letter he began to feel that he wasn't too happy with the way the holidays were panning out. His mother then made it worse by saying what a shame that he already had plans or he could have been with them. Ron was just reaching the conclusion that his trip to Charlie's was not that important when his international floo booking time occurred.

He was pushed unceremoniously into the fire place and several cracked elbows later he was in Romania. He arrived there in an even worse mood than when he had left the Burrow.

Ron wasn't daft, he had thought over Harry and Hermione's letter. Whilst not giving much detailed information about what they had been up to he had read between the lines, called back by Dumbledore, together!, met the new defence against the Dark Arts Professor, together!, been here, done that, together!. He had decided that if he had been in Harry's shoes those togethers would have been rather special, you could not know a girl for five years and not feel something for her.

To put it bluntly Ron did feel something for her, he thought he loved her, and he reasoned that he was about to come in second place again. Now he was in a right snit about it.

Charlie had noticed that something was not well in Ron's life. It wasn't hard to tell. The family trait of a short fuse and extreme response was well developed in his youngest brother. This was despite having five older brothers to give him guidance. More properly it was because of out the five the three who had the most influence on Ron were Percy, Fred and George and none of them ever gave him any confidence.

The level headed Dragon Handler had assessed Ron's problems, his jealousy and hot temper reminded him of a Hungarian Horntail in the middle of the breeding season. He knew that to lecture Ron would be a disaster so he tired him out helping with the dragons and when he was good and knackered he persuaded him to talk.

The talk soon came round to what was causing all the problems, Harry Potter.

Ron slouched in his chair, swinging his long legs over the armrest. "Sometimes I feel it's so unfair" he told Charlie "Harry has all that fame and all that money, now he staying at Hogwarts with Hermione."

"Is that a problem then Ron?" Charlie asked all innocent like.

"Yes it is" Ron face began to resemble to colour of his hair. "I've fancied her since the fourth year."

"Told her this, have you?"

"Not in so many words, but when we were alone at Sirius' I tried to make her understand. For a whole month I tried."

"But in that month you didn't actually tell her?"

"Err…No"

"Why?"

"Because I knew that she didn't love me back, least not in the same way."

"Did Harry try to push himself between you, you know set himself up as something or someone better than you? I could imagine what he is like."

"NO NEVER, Harry wouldn't do that. He's my best friend Charlie, I love him like another brother. He can't help it if he has fame or wealth, it cost him his Mum and Dad, he didn't ask to be V-Voldemort's target, he just is." Ron had a good head of steam going now. He didn't want anyone to doubt Harry's motives or personality. He stood and standing in front of Charlie poked him in the chest with his finger emphasising each word. "AND…HE…CAN'T…HELP…IT…IF…HERMIONE…LOVES…HIM…MORE…THAN…ME………SHE…………….JUST…………does. Oh bum!"

Charlie smiled and placed his arm round Ron's shoulders "I think it's time I told you something about our family."

"What's that Charlie?"

"We are all, and I mean all, very proud of you." Ron had a look of disbelief on his face. "Look Bill and I may be the oldest but we both know you will do things that will far outstrip us. Mum and Dad may be a bit overprotective but when they were here last year I began to think you were the only brother I had, the way they talked. Fred and George may be the smart arses in the family but they have a great deal of respect for you, and Ginny just loves you to bits."

"What about Percy?"

"Well Mum says that Percy is just like Great Uncle Wilberforce."

"Never heard of him."

"Doubt if you would have, he thought so much of himself that he decided that he wanted to be alone, totally alone. So he tried a charm to make every one in the world vanish."

"Ohh did it work?"

"Look around you Ron we are still here."

"So what happened to him? Why haven't I ever met him?"

"We don't know where he is, you see when he tried the spell he disappeared, so perhaps from his point of view it worked."

Ron burst out laughing "Thanks Charlie, I'm glad I came here now."

"My pleasure little bro'. I reckon if you give Harry and Hermione a chance you will end up the best Weasley of us all. And I don't mind a bit."

Ron learned a lot about himself whilst with Charlie, he also learned a lot about dragons and as he learnt he changed. Not deep down, he was still the same Ron, but he now carried a confidence that usually comes when you grow up.

----------------------------------

Ron had come to terms with the way he thought the situation would be between the three of them. He tried to put his feelings for Hermione in the same compartment he usually reserved for his sister Ginny. The feelings didn't quite match but they were pretty close. How would he react if his suspicions were proved right, he would have to see, he wasn't that good at Divination.

As the train drew into Hogsmead Station, Ron readied himself. Would it be obvious? Would they try to hide it? He climbed down onto the platform, heard Hagrid's dulcet tones, then some second year with size ten feet trod on his foot. He was just about to admonish said student when "Ron!, Ron! Over here!" yelled Hermione. He saw them and waved in return……..

There right in front of him was all the confirmation he needed. The way the pair of them were together, it looked right, no embarrassment, very natural, at least until Harry realised that he was still holding Hermione's hand and went bright red, but he didn't let go. Ron, after a moments thought, did the only thing he could, he smiled.

If there was any awkwardness it didn't show. The hellos were said, hugs and kisses exchanged, slaps on the backs for the boys. Neville and Ginny were gathered in and they clambered into one of the thestral drawn coaches and it lurched off back to the castle.

As they clambered out of the coaches at the bottom of the castle steps Harry saw many familiar faces amongst the students walking up and into the entrance hall.

Lavender Brown and Pavarti Patil, Hermione's dorm mates, were in the company of Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan, their fellow sixth year Gryffindors. Harry could also see Hanna Abbot and Justin Finch-Fletchley in a crowd of other members of the old DA. He briefly wondered what would happen to that club this year.

Hermione was busy catching up with all Ginny's gossip and neither was paying much attention to where they were going until they both stumbled and fell at the foot of the steps. Harry and Ron instinctively threw themselves forward to catch the girls and as they partly succeeded no harm was done. Hermione was apologising for her clumsiness, but Harry was back scanning the crowd. For he had felt the tripping hex fly past him even if he hadn't seen who had cast it. At the head of the steps Harry's prime suspect walked into the entrance hall as if nothing had happened, but Draco Malfoy had a satisfied smirk on his face.

"What's up Harry" Ron whispered, he could see Harry's narrowed eyes searching the milling students.

"That was a tripping hex Ron, someone's playing dirty."

"No guesses as to who. Where is he?"

"That's just it I haven't seen him. I think we need to keep our guard up this year."

"Great" said Ron "No changes there then."

Despite his worries over a certain Slytherin, Harry was determined to enjoy the welcoming feast. That the events of last June were to have an effect was evident during the sorting of the first years into their houses.

The Sorting Hat made no attempt to sing or pass any advice as it had before. Simply "Bring the first forward" was all that passed it's brim.

There was as far as Harry could tell the usual crop of first years. In fact the numbers had risen since Harry, Hermione and Ron were inducted. Families thinking that 'He who must not be named' was gone for good, having been destroyed trying to kill Harry for the first time had felt safe, and the result, more children. What was strange was that despite this the Slytherin intake had declined, only by one or two a year, so most people hadn't noticed. This year it was fairly obvious as the Slytherin catch was only three. It was as if the Sorting Hat was reluctant to assign any students to that house at all.

At the end of the sorting the Headmaster rose, welcomed one and all and gave out his usual notices about the Forbidden Forest. He also warned that Mr. Filch the caretaker would be particularly looking for anyone using items bought from joke shops. Especially if it came from a shop that was owned by former members of the school. Ron tried to look as if it were no concern of his but when Harry then Hermione laughed he hid his head in his hands and was heard to murmur "Those two will haunt me to my grave, no hope, none at all."

Dumbledore then introduced his new member of staff. Many of the teachers and some of the students looked with pity at Solomon Aegis; they knew what had befallen his predecessors.

The food then arrived and everyone tucked in.

------------------------------

Professor Severus Snape, potions master, head of Slytherin House, and Harry Potter's least favourite teacher was sitting next to Solomon. He turned to the new master and in his slow drawling voice offered his advice.

"You have no doubt heard that the previous occupants of your post have not fared well. If you want my advice then keep clear of Potter and his friends. They are sixth year Gryffindors, trouble the lot of them."

"Thank you umm…Severus I am sure that it is well intentioned advice, but I have already met with Harry and Hermione and I look forward to meeting the rest as well."

"Oh dear, we will be in trouble. Using student's first names is not the way we do it around here. It won't help you if you try to be too friendly, they don't appreciate it."

"Well Severus, you teach in your way and I will teach in mine. I promise I won't try to set a precedent."

Professor Aegis had seen Harry looking towards his table companion, who had just "Harrumphed" and returned to his meal. He shot a quick wink to Harry who gave a small smile in return.

------------------------

When the food had appeared on the table in front of Harry he had unconsciously started passing plates to Hermione so that she could help herself. It was Ron's suppressed snigger that made him realise what he was doing.

He smiled at Hermione who covered his actions with "Well at least one of you has learned

some manners over the holiday. Thank you Harry."

Ron's mouth was too full, even for him, to make any reply so he gave her a look instead.

Eventually the eating frenzy calmed enough for conversation.

"So what's the new DADA Professor like?" Ron asked Harry and Hermione as they were finishing their pudding. "Looks as if he can take care of himself."

"Well we haven't seen him do much magic, but he's certainly an interesting character and comes from a long line of powerful wizards, so Dumbledore told us". Answered Hermione.

"Yeh I think this year should be on a par with Lupins and probably not so disjointed cos he's not a werewolf." Added Harry as he stared along the row of professors seated at the top table. There he was, sitting immediately to the right of Professor Aegis, ……Snape. He looked just the same as in previous years greasy hair black robes and a permanent scowl; he was looking directly at Harry it seemed as if his feelings about him hadn't changed much. Professor Aegis glanced at Harry as well and then looked to where Harry was looking, at his neighbour; he leaned towards Snape and spoke quietly to him, a light flush of red coloured Snape's normally pale face and he lowered his gaze, his expression thoughtful. Aegis glanced back to Harry and winked at him. Harry with a slight smile turned back towards his friends.

Dumbledore dismissed them all to their beds, as usual, at the end of the meal, and Harry tagged along with Ron and Hermione who with the new fifth year prefects were leading the larger than normal contingent of Gryffindor first years to the common room. As they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady Harry heard the familiar ……Password!...... challenge, and with a very clear voice he heard Hermione say "Forever together" the painting swung outwards revealing the entrance to the tower.

At breakfast the next morning the sixth years did not receive a timetable from Professor McGonagall as they had in previous years, instead was a note with the time of their appointment with her to finalise their NEWT courses. This gave Ron, Harry and Hermione a chance to talk alone and Ron wasn't shy about broaching the subject the other two felt a bit awkward about.

"So when did all this happen then?"

"All what Ron?" said Hermione innocently.

If Ron had been wearing glasses he would have stared over the top of them at the uncomfortable pair.

Harry looked back at his best mate "If you mean officially, then since my birthday" Hermione nodded in agreement. "But I think for my part its something that's grown from the day we all became friends. I just didn't realise it."

"It's something that's very difficult to explain" said Hermione "Like Harry said it was always there under the surface and it might have stayed like that if it hadn't been for this summer." Hermione looked pleadingly at Ron "Are you happy for us?"

Ron dragged the moment out as long as he dared. "How could I not be, but I warn both of you, that if you, Harry, hurt my best friend and sister or you, Hermione, hurt my best mate and brother there will be no forgiveness from this Weasley.

Hermione threw her arms around Ron's neck and kissed him on the cheek. Harry stood in front of his friend and held out his hand, Ron took his and they shook on it. Hermione was blissfully happy the three of them were still friends, it was so important that they should remain so. 'Forever together', she thought, 'Oh! By Merlin I hope so!'

The appointments with McGonagall were set in alphabetical order so Hermione was the first of the trio to enter her office. Her decision must have been an easy one because she was out in less than ten minutes and without telling the boys anything about her courses excused herself and disappeared in the direction of the library. As Harry and Ron were numbers six and eight on the list they waited together in the corridor near McGonagall's office and were joined by Dean Thomas who turned up just as Pavarti came out.

"Miss Patil, if Mr Thomas is there please sent him in next" came Professor McGonagall's voice from inside the room.

Pavarti looked to Dean who shrugged his shoulders, got up and disappeared through the door.

"Odd" said Ron.

"Nothing's ever normal in this place Ron, you should know that by now" Harry retorted.

The two boys waited in silence.

Dean reappeared a short while later, "Thank goodness that's all sorted" he said. Harry stood to be the next in "No Harry, McGonagall wants to see Ron now."

"Don't worry Harry she's just keeping the best till last" Ron spoke over his shoulder as he went in.

"Oh yes, very funny" said Harry to no one in particular.

Almost as if has been rehearsed as Ron came back out of the office Hermione walked round the corner of the corridor.

As his mouth opened to speak to his friends he was summoned with an "In Mr. Potter, now!" Harry sighed, turned on his heel and walked into the office.

Professor McGonagall was sitting behind her desk, a pile of parchments in front of her.

"Sit down Pott… err Harry". Harry sat. "Well, now you have your OWL results have you settled on what you would like to do, and which NEWT courses you wish to take."

Harry looked at his Head of House. "Do you know about the prophecy Professor, about me and Voldemort?"

Minerva McGonagall looked at Harry over her glasses and her normally severe countenance crumbled. She just managed to restrain the comforting hand that was heading towards Harry's shoulders.

"Yes Harry, I do".

"Well, my ambitions have changed in the light of this information. I cannot look forward enough to imagine what I really want to do as a career, but there is one thing I would like to do."

"And what would that be Harry?"

"I would like to survive." The impact of his words hit the Professor and she stifled a small sob. "It's not just because it means Voldemort will be gone, but because I now have a personal reason to live. I want so very much to stay with her." His plea was almost more than the crusty old matriarch of Gryffindor House could stand. Harry could see that her eyes held a quiet tear and a sad smile was on her face. He continued "I know that last year I said I wanted to be an Auror but I am not so sure now. I really cannot see past my meeting with Voldemort, and if I am still here I may have had enough of fighting and killing."

Harry was beginning to lose himself in his despair, he felt it was all so pointless, he had no chance. He was gazing listlessly at the floor and did not see the small wand movement that opened the door behind him. Nor did he see McGonagall beckon someone in whilst at the same time shoo someone back. But he instantly knew that she was there. She knelt beside him. He felt her arms slide around his shoulders, he could smell her hair as she buried her head in his chest, and he heard her voice.

"Harry do you remember our conversation last month. The one about you believing in yourself?"

"Yes, love I do."

"I think it's time for another reminder." she said gently and with that Hermione drew him to her and kissed him soundly on the lips.

Professor McGonagall had suddenly become very interested in what was going on in the courtyard below her window, and she didn't turn back until she heard Hermione say.

"Better now?"

Harry sighed "Yes, and thanks, and I'm sorry Professor."

"That's alright Harry I understand, but you need something to take your mind off Voldemort other than well………" she looked meaningfully at Hermione, "and how are we going to do that?"

"I don't know Professor"

"Happily I and some of your other teachers think we do know, it will depend on you applying yourself to the tasks set you with greater effort than even NEWT's would require. You will join the NEWT classes in Transfiguration, Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts and Potions, yes and Potions! I also think you will need some additional help besides Miss Granger. Mr Weasley!" she amplified her voice to reach the corridor. "Please come in!"

The door opened and Ron entered.

Chairs appeared out of thin air on either side of Harry's, Hermione had disentangled herself from him and sat on his left and Ron his right, Hermione took Harry's hand and gave a reassuring squeeze.

"Both Ronald and Hermione asked to be included in any plans that you might make Harry and they have delayed confirming their own choices until you decide what you are going to do."

He looked to both of them in turn "Look guys, you don't have to sacrifice your own dreams because of me I'm sure I can manage."

"It seems to me mate that no one will fulfil their dreams or have any kind of future if you don't succeed". Harry looked sharply at Ron, he knew that he had said nothing to him about the prophecy, how had he known?

Hermione answered the unasked question "Sorry Harry but I gave Ron the potted version of the prophecy just now, please forgive me but he need to know".

Harry sighed "Nothing to forgive, it's not the way I wanted him to hear it, sorry Ron I should have told you before now, but I didn't know how to tell you."

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat and gave a small sniff, "If you are willing I will outline the lessons we had planned?" All three nodded. "We want to play to your strengths, Hermione will join Harry in Potions, all three of you will study Transfiguration, Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts. Hermione will also do Arithmancy and Ron Care of Magical Creatures and as he is not carrying on with potions I have arranged some study in strategy with an outside teacher.

"Hang on" said Harry " That means they are doing more than I am".

Looking at him sternly McGonagall said "If you would let me finish Mr Potter, I was about to say that You will be joining Defence Against the Dark Arts seventh year classes as well as your own and Professor Aegis has some plans for a study group as well. I think that will keep you all sufficiently occupied this year."

That evening Harry lay in his bed; now back in the dormitory with the other sixth year boys, he had expected his accommodation to revert to normal once term started. He certainly wished that he could have continued to share the guest rooms with Hermione, they had been a little haven of peace, and he knew that he missed her close company, but with school rules the way they were he knew there was no chance. He mulled over the decisions made that day, it was very hard to think about the future when that future included a deadly meeting with Voldemort, but at least Ron and Hermione would share the burden of the worries, even if the final act was down to him. Sleep began to catch up with him and closing his eyes he drifted off.

…………………….

He was looking down from a vantage point near the ceiling; the room was bare save for a high backed carved wooden chair, its occupant hidden in shadows. A door opened and scuttling across the floor was a short fat man with thin unkempt hair. It was clear he was very nervous, his movements jerky and unsure, it looked as if he expected someone or something to suddenly jump out on him. He stopped in front of the chair and bowed low to the form sitting in it.

"My Lord" he squeaked as he bowed.

The figure in the chair stirred and a cloaked and cowled man separated from the shadows.

"What news Wormtail?" the voice was rasping, yet full of menace.

"Forgive me my Lord, the Dementors cannot be persuaded to turn, they find no advantage in your offer. Although they have left Azkaban they did not release our comrades. They have found out that Dumbledore has new allies and they are afraid of them."

"For once Wormtail the fault is not yours, you will not be punished,….. not yet,….. I am aware that Merlin's brood have set themselves with Dumbledore's camp and that one of their accursed tribe is with him at the school. We will deal with all of them in good time, but for now there is an item of power at the school which we must have and it will be up to you, Wormtail, to get it for me".

The fat man was grovelling so low to the floor that his words could hardly be heard. "As my Lord commands, I will obey."

The man in the chair stood. Pulled the cowl from around his head and looked down at the cringing man. The slitted eyes burned a sullen red, his deformed nose and completely bald head gave him a skeletal appearance.

"You disgust me…Wormtail…..there is only one reason why I trust you". He pointed a wand at him. "CRUCIO!"

Wormtail screamed as the pain of the Cruciatus Curse ripped through his body, he collapsed and twitched horribly on the floor.

"Master!, master you said I would not be punished!" he sobbed.

"I lied" came the cold reply.

…………………………..

Harry woke with a start, well he thought that was different, not a nightmare, but certainly some form of vision. He reached to the side of his bed and fumbled for his glasses. Some while ago Hermione had given him a small note book and a pencil bought from a muggle shop and told him to make notes of any dreams he might have in case they were important. He had never needed it before as he never forgot his real nightmares but this was different and he did not want to lose the dream or vision or whatever it had been. By the light of the full moon he scribbled a few words then replaced the pad and pencil, he was just about to remove his glasses when the shining orb in the sky caught his attention. The effect it would be having on one of his friends came clearly to mind. Harry sighed. "Poor Lupin" he said quietly.

His glasses back on his bedside table, Harry lay back and stared out on a rather fuzzy moon and within minutes he drifted off to a dreamless sleep.

Lessons started in earnest the following day and for the first two weeks of the term, Harry didn't know his head from his heels. All NEWT classes were doubles. So double Potions, double Transfiguration, double Charms, and double, double Defence Against the Dark Arts. Harry wasn't sure he could cope; Ron knew he couldn't cope, Hermione loved it!

Harry had finally got around to showing Hermione the notes he had made of his dream. Unfortunately he found that all he had written was Voldemort, Wormtail, Dementors and Hogwarts, and now that he had forgotten the details of the dream and it didn't make much sense.

In his lessons Harry found that;

Snape was being unpleasant and worked them hard.

McGonagall was being stern and worked them hard.

Flitwick was charming. But the charms he charmed were the most complex charms that any of them had ever come across including Hermione.

Aegis threw Harry in at the deep end and then took away his life jacket. In his classes with the seventh years Aegis had him duelling with the older students. Some of them were only too glad to have a crack at the famous Harry Potter. Harry knew that if he wished to survive his classes let alone Voldemort he had to learn, and that's just what he did.

Draco Malfoy was treating the trio, in fact all Harry's closest friends, with complete indifference, and that wasn't normal.

Then came the first study group with Professor Aegis. Set for an afternoon which was devoid of other lessons Harry and Hermione walked quietly to the classroom. The corridor was deserted and they took the opportunity to take each other's hand and indulge in a moment of togetherness. There had been little chance of privacy and few opportunities to show their feelings towards one another, but the glance which held a thousand words, the exchange of smiles and the odd head to head study period in the library or common room had been enough, but this was an extra treat.

As they weren't concentrating on exactly where they were going it was only Aegis's "Ah! Harry, Hermione there you are" which returned them to the land of the living. Their attention returned to the classroom that they had just unknowingly entered and found Professor Aegis, Ron, Neville, Ginny and Luna all looking at them.

Ron chuckled at their predicament "Grins all round" he said quietly, and there were.

They grinned back and settled in the remaining two chairs to form a semi circle around the Professor.

"I won't insult your intelligence and explain why the six of you are in here together, suffice to say that you trust one another and have worked together before and that for the moment is enough. The conflict that is upon us will not be easy, the ability to mesh as a team, to know each others strengths and protect each others weaknesses is what will in the end determine whether we will be successful or not. We cannot afford to have secrets from each other. Voldemort lives in a world of secrets and mistrust, that is his weakness, that is how we can divide his forces and that, is how he can be defeated."

"Now anyone know how we can do this?" he asked innocently, a little twinkle in his eyes.

Harry shook his head and started to laugh, the others following suit as the penny dropped.

"Good" said Aegis "It is a very serious state of affairs but you must be relaxed about it."

The group opened up and talked. They expressed fears, wishes, hopes and expectations. They talked as they had never done before, they talked as Harry and Hermione had talked to Dumbledore and Aegis in the summer, they were beginning their preparations for the conflict that was to come.

As the study group broke up Professor Aegis called Harry to one side talking, quietly he asked, "After our conversation earlier this month are you still giving Hermione the necklace on her birthday?"

"Yes I am" he answered.

"That's fine, but just a little advice, don't do it indoors. These mystical items, if indeed that's what it turns out to be, tend to be a little unpredictable when they reach their destined owner".

"Ohh OK" 'great' Harry thought 'now I have that to worry about too.'

Aegis smiled.