Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just Friends by Searcy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just Friends

Searcy

Prologue: The Kiss

It had been a beautiful night; the breeze was cool and held just a hint of the smell of autumn. After dragging their arseholed-drunk friend back to his flat putting him to bed and cheekily hiding the hangover/pepper up potion in the back of the cooler to remind him not to repeat this particular transgression the two remaining members of the trio had decided to leg it like muggles. They'd taken the long way back to her flat, the path that led through the park. The leisurely stroll had given them the chance to converse and catch up on each other's news. Her work at the Ministry was time consuming and there were periods when she questioned the wisdom in taking her present position as Chief Ambassador of the Department for the Care and Regulation of Magical Beasts and Creatures. He was back in Quidditch training preparing for the approaching season, they were training so hard he usually just came home and collapsed in bed most evenings but despite his exhaustion he popped into London for her birthday which he wouldn't dare miss. She smiled at that, blushed really. She considered it sweet that he thought so highly of their friendship. When she verbalized her judgment he took her hand in his and softly kissed it and informed her that it wasn't the friendship that he prized so highly but the friend. They continued on in silence for a while, her hand still firmly ensconced in his grasp, before the conversation drifted to their mutual acquaintances; they chatted about who was doing what and who was seeing whom. Neither of them was seeing anyone at the present moment. She'd ended a yearlong relationship several months before and honestly the thought of dating had not crossed her mind. He wasn't seeing anyone seriously, none of his relationships lasted very long as none of the witches he dated seemed interested in anything other than his status as a professional Quidditch player. By now they had made it to her building, a large warehouse that had been converted into luxury flats, they made their way through the courtyard and up the stairs to her door. Neither of them wanted to say good night as they were greatly enjoying the other's company but the hour was late and they both had to get up early in the morning. Grudgingly they began to say their good nights.

They stepped into a familiar warm embrace squeezing each other tightly. He then lowered his head down to hers and their lips met briefly in a chaste pressing together; it was very much like every other kiss they had shared during their twelve-year friendship. As they slowly drew away from each other he stared at her momentarily mesmerized by her sheer beauty; she in turn lost herself in those hauntingly beautiful soul-searing eyes of his and in that moment, that instant when they each lost themselves in the other their lips were drawn back together. At first it was a gentle grazing, their lips just barely touching, their uncertainty evident. Unsure of whether they should allow themselves the pleasure of a true kiss they attempted to disengage themselves from one another. He allowed his arms to slide down her body to her waist and she in turn rested her palms on his chest meaning to push away from him; instead of easing the tension between them their actions increased it ten fold. She gathered his jumper in the palms of her hands as she balled them into fists pulling him closer than he had been before. Instinctively his arms tightened about her waist. Their eyes locked as they drifted ever nearer to the point of doing something that would certainly push them well beyond the bounds of friendship.

One of his arms loosened from its grasp of her waist and traveled up her back sending indescribably delicious sensations up her spine the hand came to rest at the base of her neck as he buried his fingers in the thick curls at the nape and slowly massaged her scalp. A scarcely discernible moan escaped her as his soft warm lips connected with her cheek. Her arms wound their way up his sculpted torso to his neck and he groaned as he felt her enchantingly supple form press into him. He cinched his arm tighter about her waist and drew his face level with hers. As if by some magnetic force their lips were once again drawn together. Her lips were slightly parted and he gently pulled the lower one in between his own sucking and nibbling it, she expelled a wanton sigh and drew back angling her head slightly to the side before once again leaning in to receive his lips. When their lips met again he ran his tongue along the edge of her lower lip before taking the upper lip and caressing it as he had done the lower one seconds before. Again they drew apart angling their heads to give the other better access. As his mouth descended to hers for the third time a moan of anticipation flowed from him as he felt her tongue connect with his. Tongues intertwined they deepened the kiss and gave themselves over to the passion coursing through their bodies until the need for air drove them apart.

A light sheen of sweat clung to his forehead as he laid it upon hers. She clung to him breathlessly her head buried in his chest inhaling his alluringly intoxicating scent. He placed a finger underneath her chin and raised her gaze to meet his. Neither of them spoke a word, as neither knew what to say. They simply stood there, foreheads pressed together, gazes locked, chests heaving, holding onto each other. He detached his eyes from hers and brought his arm slowly up her back once more as he gently kissed her forehead. The air around them seemed to crackle with the intensity of the emotions swirling around them. He leaned his head back on the doorframe and directed his gaze towards the sky fighting the desire building within to sweep her into his arms and explore every inch of her heavenly body with his tongue. She looked up at him watching the array of emotions play across his face she wondered if his thoughts were as befuddled as her own. She reached up and looped her hands behind his head drawing his gaze back to hers; they stared at each other for a moment before he lowered his head and repossessed her lips. They wasted not a moment; as soon as she felt his breath upon her face she parted her lips to allow him full access to her waiting mouth. Their kisses were frenzied; it was almost as though they sought to devour each other. He turned them around pressing her body into the doorframe while he caressed every inch of her he could reach. She moaned erotically as she ran her delicate hands across his chest. His mouth left hers fleetingly as he trailed kisses down her neck to the sensitive throbbing pulse at its base and back up again to her mouth where their lips met again in a blazing kiss. Yet again they were forced apart by the need for air. He stepped away from her then, chest heaving; his ebony locks more tousled than usual. A look of unreserved amazement marred his incredibly handsome face. Their gazes locked for what felt like the hundredth time that evening they merely stared at each other both to dumbfounded to speak.

She stood against the door shocked beyond all coherent thought at what she, no, at what they had just done. Without a word Hermione turned and noiselessly slipped through the door of her flat. She pressed her back against the door and with a trembling hand gingerly touched her swollen lips. What in the name of Merlin had she done? She closed her eyes and bit down gently on her bottom lip in an attempt to stem the images that were replaying themselves across her brain. She took a deep breath and shook her head to clear it before trudging upstairs to her bedroom.

Harry stood his feet temporarily rooted to one spot; unconsciously he ran his tongue across his lips and was assaulted by the memory of Hermione's soft, sweet mouth. Realization of what had just happened slammed into him; he had kissed her. He had kissed his best friend of twelve years and it had not been one of friendship but one of pure unadulterated desire. He stood there a moment longer staring at her door vividly reliving the events that had taken place just moments before. The sudden illumination of her bedroom window alerted him to his continued idleness, he turned and apparated home.


-->