Unofficial Portkey Archive

After The Night, Sun Shines by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

After The Night, Sun Shines

Harry85

Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Ten: Christmas Holidays

The Hogwarts Express was running quickly through the landscape, bringing back home the students for Christmas.

James, Albus and Rose were in the same compartment, the oldest Potter with one arm wrapped around his new girlfriend who was snuggling with him, an huge grin on her lips, Albus reading a Quidditch magazine and Rose, well, Rose was looking outside, her mind occupied by a certain Slytherin.

She had not seen him since the kiss he gave her the previous night, and she was confused. And disappointed too, a bit.

She was sure he was going to really kiss her, and while frightened, she was also happy that he would do that. Instead, he didn't.

"Sickle for your thoughts?" James asked her softly.

She looked at him, an half smile on her lips and shook her head. Kate looked at the younger girl.

"Something you wish to talk with me about?" she knowingly inquired. Rose thought about that a bit, then nodded.

The two witches left, after Kate gave a quick peck on the lips to her boyfriend. He shook his head smiling and giving her a little smack on her bum as she walked away with his cousin. She feigned to be outraged, before she burst in a fit of giggles.

When they returned, Rose seemed much brighter, and remained that way till they arrived to King's Cross.

Taking their baggage, they went on the platform to find Hermione, Hugo, Lily and Harry waiting them with huge grins on their faces.

Rose immediately ran to hug her mother, she had missed her lots, while Harry looked at his sons and noticed how close James was holding Kate, one arm around her waist, and the happiness in both their eyes.

He raised an eyebrow at his oldest son when his girlfriend was occupied greeting Hermione, and James simply grinned.

Harry was happy for his son. He had always liked the brunette girl, and knew she would be a good match for his eldest.

Just before leaving with his family, James joined her again.

"This is for you" he whispered, taking a package from his pocket. "Your Christmas gift" he added then. "Promise me you will be a good girl and won't open it before it is due" he joked then, just inches apart from her lips.

It was extraordinary how he couldn't keep his hands off of her, and the same went for her.

"Give me something to make the wait worth" she purred flirtatiously, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"You trying to seduce me, Ms. Winters?" he murmured.

"Maybe. Would that be bad?" she coyly replied.

"Not at all" he huskily said, before kissing her hungrily. He had to go two whole weeks without seeing her, and wondered how would he be able to.

Soon enough they remembered they were not alone and they both needed to go. As they parted, they stood some moments resting with their foreheads on the other's one.

"It's going to be hard, two weeks without you" he murmured.

"I know. But we will manage, somehow" she reasoned. "We will have to"

"This doesn't make it more enjoyable, you know" he pouted.

She giggled. "Come on, don't be a cry-baby" she teased him, then with a quick peck on the lips moved away. It was hard but someone had to do it.

"This is for you" she said softly, handing him a package too.

He took it, and waved her good bye as she was walking away still looking at him, then blew her a kiss. The gesture made her feel all giddy as she walked to join her own parents.

Once she was gone, he sighed, turning to join his family.

"Guys, there have been some news while you were away" Harry said, before they left the station. "Aunt Hermione and Hugo, and Rose now, of course, have moved in with us"

James and Albus were surprised, but then broke into identical grins. "Great!"

Rose was happy too, and Hermione beamed at her daughter. She had been worried about her but it seemed she had managed. Who would have thought that the son of Draco Malfoy would have helped her daughter so much through an hard time?

Soon enough, all of them were into Harry's house. Well, Harry and Hermione's, now.

"Now, Albus and James will share a room, as well as Hugo and Lily. Rose will have her own" Harry explained to them.

"Hermione will stay in the guest room in the same floor of the master bedroom, that will be where I'll sleep" he concluded. "This way we will both be near to Lily and Hugo if they need anything"

As everyone settled in their room, Harry proceeded to prepare dinner for them all.

Hermione joined him, and as he protested, she replied she couldn't let him do it by himself. She just felt she needed to help.

He relented, and had her prepare the table, while he finished cooking.

They all ate merrily, and joked a lot. Harry mused that probably the worst was behind them. Sure, there would be times when the absence of Ron and Ginny would be felt again, and one of those times was coming, as Christmas at the Burrow would never be the same without them, but still, he was somewhat satisfied with the progresses the kids, him and Hermione had made in barely a couple of months.

When Hermione went upstairs to put both Lily and Hugo to sleep, and while Rose was occupied reading a school book starting on her homework already, and Albus was watching a Muggle movie, Harry approached James.

"So, tell me about this thing you and Kate have" he teased his oldest son.

James blushed scarlet red, and started telling him how they finally realized what they were feeling. Well, how he realized it, at least.

When he told his father how he had asked her to the Ball, Harry had to cast the Silencing Charm on the room before doubling over in laughter.

"That's sexual tension if I've ever seen some" he said then, still grinning.

James was a bit embarrassed, but smiled all the same. "I guess you can say that" he conceded.

"If you want my opinion, you're lucky, son. She's an amazing witch from what I know of her and my suggestion is to keep her close, because you'll hardly find another like her in your life"

James nodded. Then he decided to ask something that had been on his mind since they came back home.

"Dad…do you fancy Aunt Hermione?"

Harry almost choked on his Butterbeer. "Why do you think that?"

"Well…" his son started. "I don't know, maybe it's silly, but the way you act around each other…it kind of reminds me of me and Kate, so I wondered if maybe…" he never finished the sentence but Harry knew what he was implying.

"We all have a long day, tomorrow, James. I think you should go to sleep and rest" Harry said, to change the subject. His son recognized the dismissal and left. As he went, he turned and spoke again. "Dad, nothing that feels so good can be wrong" he said before continuing up to his room.

Harry stayed there for at least an hour mulling on what his son had said. Could he possibly be in love with Hermione? Thinking of it, the idea didn't seem so farfetched as he thought at first.

But what about her feelings? And what if he was wrong? Could he risk his friendship with her pursuing a possible romance?

He had to admit he had felt drawn to her more and more lately, and kept noticing how good she looked, and every single little gesture she did that endeared her to him.

Deep in thought as he was, he never noticed how late it was till someone entered the kitchen.

"Still awake, Harry?" Hermione's soft voice startled him. He turned and smiled.

"Yes, I was just thinking about things" he said, standing up to place his glass into the sink. Then he wished her good night, and left, leaving her bewildered. He just had to get away from her, the sight of her in her nightgown was too much to bear in his confused state.

As Christmas morning came by, Hermione and Harry were assaulted by their youngest children, demanding to have their gifts.

Harry chuckled, took Lily in his arms and led her downstairs to the Christmas tree were the presents were stacked. Hermione did the same with Hugo, and they all met in the living room. Hearing the confusion, James, Rose and Albus also came down, staggering on the steps as sleep was still fresh for them.

Lily and Hugo tore open package after package, even those who weren't theirs, then they would handle the gift to the right owner.

Rose got the latest edition of "Hogwarts: A History" from Harry, a stack of Sugar Quills from Albus since he knew she had a knack for them, and a Gryffindor necklace from James, "So you'll never forget which house you come from" he said her with a wink, clearly referring to her growing affection for Scorpius. She blushed. Finally she had a new set of robes from her mother. But the gift she treasured the most was delivered only later that day. A black owl came and with it a letter from Scorpius, and a little package.

"Dear Rose,

I'm sorry for acting strange the day of the Yule Ball. I didn't mean to be rude to you that afternoon, and then, I messed it up worse avoiding you since our good nights. I wish I could explain you why I acted like this, but the fact is that I don't really know myself. I feel drawn to you, Rose, and it scares me, but makes me happy too. In the package there is my gift to you for Christmas, but don't worry, you don't need to send me one, it's just a little thing that made me think of you, so I thought you might like it

See you at school, and again, Merry Christmas to you and your family. I hope you all are fine, with everything that has happened.

Your friend,

Scorpius"

As she opened the package, it contained a framed picture of the two of them playing near the lake, both laughing. She smiled softly at the memory, and felt her heart soar. If it was time he needed, she would give it to him. For now, she was content enough that they were friends.

Then it was Albus' turn. He got a Puddlemere United Quidditch outfit from Hermione, he had wanted that for ages, a book on Patronuses from Rose who knew he wanted to learn conjuring one like his father had done at his age; James instead got him a box of Honeydukes' best sweets. Harry, finally, gave him a new broom, a Nimbus 2007.

As for James, he got new Quidditch gloves from Hermione, some pranks from George's shop from Albus, who winked at him, and some sweets from Rose. Harry gifted him a new broom too, as his son had become Quidditch Captain at such an young age he deserved the best, and so Harry got him the new Firebolt 2007. "Be careful, though. That thing is damn fast even for a skilled flier like you" Harry alerted him with a chuckle. James nodded, grinning. He could already picture himself on it, catching the Snitch in no time.

It was time to open Kate's gift. He opened it, and it naturally engorged from the tiny package into a photo book with pictures of the two of them through the years. He had a tear rolling down his cheek at the sight, it was such a thoughtful gift, but after all she had always been like that with him. Excusing himself he retreated to his room to write her, hoping she had appreciated the silver locket he had gifted her, with their initials engraved on the back, and a photo of them at the Ball inside it.

As for Hermione, she cherished Harry's gift lots. It was a first edition of Rowena Ravenclaw's "Extraordinaire Charms". She wondered how could he have gotten hold of it, but she didn't really want to know. What mattered was that he knew her well enough to know she would be ecstatic to have it, and did all he could to get it for her.

She hugged him tightly, and kissed him on the cheek.

He chuckled. "If this is what I get, remind me to get you rare books on a daily basis" he joked, and she playfully swatted his arm. Rose raised her eyebrows at that.

"Am I wrong or they are flirting?" she mused. "I'll need to talk with James about this" she decided.

Later, they left to reach the Burrow and have the traditional Christmas feast. Molly outdid herself once again, and a moment of silence was respected in memory of Ginny and Ron. She broke into tears, and Arthur did his best to comfort her. Fleur was pregnant again, it was a boy this time, and Teddy was still with Victoire. Actually, Harry found out his godson had intention to propose soon, as the young man said himself to him taking him apart after lunch.

They passed the afternoon together, chatting and joking around. Lily and Hugo managed to keep everyone's spirits high, as they always could bring a smile to the adults' lips. They were so cute together.

As night came, Bill, Fleur, Victoire and Teddy left, followed soon by George, Percy, Penelope, who he had married in the years of absence from the Burrow, and Charlie who had managed to come but now needed to go back to Romania to his dragons.

That left Harry, Hermione and the kids with Arthur and Molly. Albus, Rose and James involved each other in conversation about things going on at Hogwarts, mostly gossip to be truthful, and Hermione joined Harry outside to look at the beautiful night.

Snow covered most of the landscape, and it really seemed some far away place, not just the English countryside.

"It's beautiful" she said, moving to his side.

"Definitely" he grinned. "And relaxing, too" he added, looking sideways at her. She caught his stare and smiled.

"I know I've already said it, but thanks for being by my side, Harry" she said then, turning totally toward him now. He nodded and hugged her.

There was no need of words because she knew he would always be, and he knew she had understood. Looking into her eyes, he started leaning in, moving to taste her lips as he had wanted for a long time. James questioning him about what he felt for her had been the last straw, and now he could not hide his feelings anymore.

However, their lips never met.

A noise of steps coming that way made them spring apart, and James looked slightly puzzled at their flushed faces. Then it dawned on him.

"Dad, I'm going to sleep" he said, "you and Aunt Hermione are the last two awake. Just thought I'd let you know"

Harry nodded, and once he was inside, James muttered angrily against himself. He knew how frustrating could be to be interrupted just before kissing, and he had just done that to them. He would have to make it up to his dad somehow.

In the meantime, the silence was oddly awkward between Harry and Hermione. It had never been, for them, but now both knew what was moments from happening, and both felt nervous about it.

Finally, he sighed. "We better get some rest too" he smiled, opening the back door for her. She nodded, and went up to her room without a word to him.

Some days passed, and James approached Harry and Hermione. "I think you two should go out tonight. We are going to leave for school soon, and you'll have to care about Lily and Hugo then, but tonight I can look after the others. Rose will help me too, right?" he said, turning to his cousin with a wink. They had discussed the matter and had agreed that was their best chance at setting their parents together like they deserved to be.

The two adults weren't so convinced, however even Hermione had to admit she could not win an argument with her own daughter, so in the end they relented.

"They practically kicked us out of the house" Harry chuckled, once they were outside. Hermione, with her arm around his own, laughed softly.

"Yes, they definitely did"

"I think they are right though. We kind of deserved a night all for ourselves" he said, with his usual infectious grin, and Hermione couldn't help agreeing.

So they went to "The Magical Garden".

"It was some time we came here, right?" he wistfully said, sitting at the table. She stretched her hand to cover his own. "I know, Harry. But they wouldn't want us to feel sad"

He shook his head. "No, they wouldn't"

They placed their orders, Hermione chose a Merlin's Salad, which was the Wizarding equivalent of the Muggle Caesar's Salad, as she wasn't really hungry, and Harry chose a Roasted Frightening Swordfish. He felt quite full already too.

As the dinner progressed, they made small talk, for once free from having to think about their children, and had some white wine to drink. Then, they walked back through Diagon Alley before heading home. He took her hand and entwined their fingers and she smiled at the gesture, squeezing.

Finally, the chill wind started biting at them, so they Apparated home. As they did, they landed in the doorframe between the kitchen and the living room.

Suddenly, the lights dimmed, and from above them mistletoe started descending.

Harry had to laugh, shaking his head. His son and his niece had planned it well.

"Well, it seems we are under the mistletoe, Ms. Granger" he teased her. She had wanted to take back her maiden name, so she was now officially Ms. Granger again.

"I guess we have to go along with the tradition, then, Mr. Potter" she teased back, inching closer to him.

"I like how your mind works" he huskily said, before pulling her to him and claiming her lips. She laced her arms around his neck and moaned into his kiss. It was something new, she couldn't tell if better than kissing Ron or not but it was sure enough different. She ran her tongue on his lips to ask for entrance and he eagerly complied. Tongues started battling, exploring the other's mouth and caressing, now harder and then with a slower rhythm, a feeling of fulfilment growing into both their bodies.

Soon, their kiss grew even more heated, and hands started roaming.

But Harry, as gentlemanly as always, pulled back before they got too far. "I think we need to slow down" he breathed, as much as he wanted to continue. Then wished her good night and started toward his room. He had to use all his willpower to do that and not take her right there, but he felt it right to take things step by step.

Hermione looked at his retreating form, feeling confused between her love for him and the feeling she was cheating on Ron's memory. However, Ron wasn't there now and he would not want her to live alone forever, crying over his tomb.

As for Harry's feelings, what had happened had just proved her where he stood. Feeling content, she headed to her own room, a grin on her face, not knowing a couple of teenagers had just witnessed the scene thanks to George's new invention, the "Peek Through Walls" lenses, and were now winking at each other.

-->