Unofficial Portkey Archive

After The Night, Sun Shines by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

After The Night, Sun Shines

Harry85

Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Sixteen: Surprises

The school year was by now behind them. James, Kate, Rob, Albus, Rose and Scorpius all occupied a compartment on the red train speeding through the countryside. The three fifth years had taken their OWLs, now they just had to wait the results that would arrive in the late summer.

James was pretty satisfied with himself, Kate was a bit worried but he just knew she had done well, she was the best out of the three of them so she couldn't fail, and Rob, well, Rob was happy with himself too. Not that he cared much for grades and schoolwork, anyhow, which frustrated Kate to no end.

The three younger kids instead still didn't have the worries of exams and it would take them two years before they would know it, so they were pretty relaxed.

Rose and Scorpius were enjoying their newly found relationship, snuggling on the seats of the train and grinning. Albus had never seen his cousin this happy and hoped next year he could find himself a girlfriend too.

Once they arrived, Harry and Hermione were happy to see Scorpius and Rose walking together on the platform, albeit a bit surprised, since they were sceptical about their chances to find each other, and they were also worried at Draco's reaction. The blonde, however, knew he shouldn't put a show there, so he simply waited for his son to leave her side with a scowl on his face.

"So, I see you two straightened out your troubles" Harry joked with her, and Rose grinned at him, nodding.

"Although, I should be angry at you, Uncle Harry. You shouldn't have helped James and Scorpius giving them your cloak" the girl pouted.

"Oh, come on, all worked out for the best" James said, coming right behind her. "You can't believe the hard time she gave me and Albus for planning all of that" he said his father, who laughed. Hermione smiled too.

"It's not funny" Rose said, and she wanted to add something else but she caught sight of something sparkly on her mother's hand.

She wondered if that could be what she thought.

"I'll have to ask her later" she mused.

However, there was no need for that. At dinner, Harry suddenly stood up asking for attention.

"I would like to let you know something that has happened while you were away" he started. "Me and Hermione are getting married" he said then, grinning, and loud cheers erupted by all their children.

Hermione smiled, remembering how that night had gone.

"Hermione, will you marry me?" Harry had asked.

She was speechless, and couldn't stop looking at the ring he was holding out to her. It was a white gold band, with a diamond in the middle. Simple, but beautiful. She had never been one for excessive jewellery and Harry knew that, and chose the ring best suited to her.

She looked at him and could read the anxiety on his face, she had been taking her time to answer his question, but she couldn't help it, her throat was suddenly closed and she couldn't utter a single word.

She still believed it to be some kind of dream, and yet it was so real.

Finally, when he had started making apologies for asking her, that maybe it was too soon, that he understood if she didn't want to, she had to reply in the only way she was able to at the moment.

She flung herself at him, who easily caught her in his arms, albeit surprised, and kissed him with a passion she had never thought possible. The ring was still in his hand, in the velvety box, and he held her close with a single arm, kissing her back with the same eagerness.

Finally they broke apart, breathing heavily, a glazed look in both their eyes.

"I take that as a yes" he had joked, and she grinned.

"Yes, Harry, I'll marry you" she confirmed.

"Then, Mrs. Potter-to-be, this belongs to you" he joked, sliding the ring on her finger. She looked at it once more, and smiled fondly, snuggling near Harry.

"Take me to bed, Harry" she had said, and who was he to protest?

So they ended in their room and had the best sex they could remember in a long time.

She was brought back to reality by James asking her if she had enjoyed what had come next to the proposing. That made her blush scarlet red and earned the teenager a scolding from his father.

"We're going to be a big family then" Albus commented with a smile. Rose nodded, her eyes shining with tears of joy. She hoped she could have something like that one day, and even if they had just started going out, she hoped Scorpius could be the one she would have that with.

------------------

One week later, they all left for the seaside. They always spent summer holidays in the beach cottage the two families had together near Dover.

As soon as they arrived they all went to unpack in their usual rooms, and then James involved himself in writing a letter to his girlfriend. He already missed her lots, and would like nothing more than inviting her there. However, he didn't want to seem too pushy, so for now he didn't do it.

As for Rose, she wanted to write to Scorpius but she knew it would already be hell for him at home, writing to him would just add to that so she restrained herself from doing it.

Albus had no worries of this kind although he had gotten quite friendly with that pretty redhead in Ravenclaw, Julie Fanhorn. Maybe he would write her later in the holiday.

For now, he just changed into his swimsuit and went on the beach, joining his parents (he felt it was right to call them both that since they were getting married anyhow), Lily and Hugo.

He had to make the most of the two weeks they would be there, he loved the sea and this year their time there was cut short since there was a wedding to plan.

Some time later, Rose and James joined them too.

She was pretty content with her figure, she had improved lots in the last year and now and then she would catch random boys glance at her. While she was more than devoted to Scorpius and would never cheat on him, she still found being looked at by guys a bit flattering.

Hermione was glad her daughter was enjoying herself. As she was looking her way, she never noticed Harry approaching her from behind.

He picked her up, causing her to yelp in surprise, then he carried her into the water.

"Harry James Potter" she warned him, but he gave her his most innocent look, and then dropped her into the sea, laughing like mad at her face when she emerged from the water, her hair plastered to her face.

"It's not funny" she said, but an hint of a smile could be found on her lips too. Then her eyes got a glint that Harry recognized and knew he was in trouble.

In fact, just a moment later he found himself pinned to the sandy seabed, Hermione on top of him. As he pushed his head out of the water and sputtered, regaining his breath, she whispered into his ear.

"Retaliation can be fun, you know"

Harry smirked. "So this is how you like to play, uh? Fine" and he started tickling her sides making her squirm and giggle. She pulled him down with her, and he took the chance to kiss her and she kissed him back, lying there, in the water, oblivious to anything else going on around them.

James was on the beach, Rose sitting near him, and keeping an eye on the little ones.

"Look at them! One would think they are teenagers, instead of adults with kids" he commented, shaking his head in fake shock.

"They are in love" Rose smartly retorted, a smile on her lips. "And they have always been, I reckon, even if they just lately admitted it"

James couldn't help but agree. He was glad they were getting married in two months, then they would officially be a family and everything would be ok.

--------------------------------

It was their last night there at Dover, and the weather had turned for the worse in the last two days. Rain was pouring incessantly, outside.

Suddenly, while everyone was in the living room, passing time as they could, an owl tapped on the window. Rose went to take it as she recognized it as Scorpius' owl, and she barely managed to read the few words scribbled there, I'm coming, before they heard a banging on the front door.

She ran to open, her family following her, and as she did, she found herself facing a drenched Scorpius Malfoy.

"Scorpius!" she cried, running to hug him, and wetting her clothes, but she didn't care. Harry quickly performed a drying charm on both of them, then invited him in.

"You escaped" Rose said, comprehension dawning on her.

Scorpius nodded, sipping on the hot tea Hermione had hastily prepared for him.

"I had to. It was unbearable, my father actually locked me into my room. I would have come sooner, I told him I would if he didn't let me live my life, but I had to figure out a way to leave the house. He tried his best to keep me there, locking me in my room, and instructing the house elf to keep me there no matter what"

"How did you escape?" she asked, and everyone wanted to know the same thing.

"Well, I had my fair bit of work to do. First of all, I had to locate my father's bottles of Firewhiskey, and convincing the elf to let me leave my room as long as I stayed in the house wasn't easy too. But in the end I managed, promising I would not leave, and telling him I felt sick staying all holidays into my room.

I managed to sneak one bottle away and then I had to plan a way to make the elf drink it. You all know the Elves get drunk even with Butterbeer so having him get drunk with Firewhiskey would be easier, if only I could get him to drink that"

Hermione scrunched her face in disgust at the idea of manipulating an Elf that way, but she knew hard times asked for hard measures.

Harry caught her expression and smiled at her, as to say he understood what she was thinking.

"So, I studied his habits for days, and tonight, while my parents were away for dinner, I managed to pour some of the liquid on the Elf's food, he always eats before us, so he was drunk when he came to bring me my dinner in my room. He forgot the door open, so I shrunk my trunk and put it in my pocket, and flew away to your house" he continued his story.

"Once there, though, I saw nobody was home, so I scribbled that note and had my owl, Francis, bring it to you. I followed him, and here I am"

Harry was reminded of Sirius telling him he had left his home at sixteen to go to the Potters, Scorpius here left even younger, he was just fourteen now. He must care a whole lot for Rose to do something like that.

"Well, Scorpius, now that you are here, we would like you to stay, although we are returning back home tomorrow. If you like, you could live with us" Harry offered.

"Oh, I don't want to impose, sir" Scorpius started but Rose interrupted him.

"You're not imposing. You're staying with us, that's final" she said, and Harry was reminded of a young Hermione. Pulling his wife-to-be close, he whispered just that to her an she smiled.

So, once Scorpius' sleeping arrangements were settled, for the night but also for when they would go back home, they resumed their previous activities, although Rose was now all taken by her own boyfriend. They sat in a corner of the living room, chatting, and everyone could see how much they cared for each other.

"It must have been terrible" she said him, listening to more details about his summer.

"It was worth it, if it means I can stay with you" he sincerely said, taking her hand. She blushed a bit at the gesture and at the intense gaze he was giving her, but nodded.

"I'm glad you think so" she whispered almost too lightly to be heard, but he did, and gently moved her chin so that their eyes could meet.

"Rose, you're the best thing happened to me so far, and I'm not giving up on you for any reason" he said, before kissing her. She laced her arms around his neck and kissed him back, both forgetting they had an audience.

"Hey, you two, get a room!" James teased them while Hermione and Harry looked at the young pair tenderly.

Both of them blushed madly and sprung apart, but both had goofy grins on their faces.

As he pulled her close on the couch, Scorpius thought that maybe things would go well for all of them now.

-->