Unofficial Portkey Archive

After The Night, Sun Shines by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

After The Night, Sun Shines

Harry85

Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Twelve: Another Step Forward

Harry sighed. As he got up from his bed to go and prepare breakfast, he couldn't stop wondering if that kiss he and Hermione shared had ruined their friendship for good.

Since then, she had avoided him as much as she could living in his same house. He was mildly surprised that she hadn't moved out yet, because her behaviour was a clear sign of not wanting to be around him.

Stepping down the stairs, he was surprised to see the lights in the kitchen were on.

He sighed again. "This is going to be awkward" he thought, walking into the room.

Hermione was there, deep in thought, a mug of coffee in front of her. She didn't even notice he had arrived.

"Good morning" Harry gently said, trying to break the ice. If she wanted to stay just friends, he was ready to give her that. Although, seeing her now, he wondered how could he have missed how beautiful she was, even back in Hogwarts. Maybe they would not be in this situation if he had realized his feelings for her twenty years ago, he mused.

Hearing her voice, she looked up, and was startled to meet a pair of bright green eyes staring back at her.

"Oh. Hi, Harry" she said, suddenly standing up and walking outside the room. Harry growled, this was getting ridiculous.

It was time to set things straight. Albus, Rose and James had left for Hogwarts, it was just him, her and Hugo and Lily who were still fast asleep. They ahd the time to sort things out, and Harry wasn't going to get no as a reply.

Gently grabbing her wrist, he spun her around.

"Hermione" he started, looking her straight in her eyes. "Why don't you go back to your house? It's what you want, right?" he said, more harsh than he meant it.

"What? N-No, I mean, why would I want that?" she asked, confused. She hoped he wasn't kicking her and Hugo out.

"Well, I dunno" he shrugged. "You just seem to bolt from every room you're in if I enter" he casually said. "What should I think if not that you don't want to be around me?" he added, turning again to face her.

She could see the hurt in his eyes, and shook her head. Stepping closer, she hugged him, and revelled in the feeling of being in his arms as he hugged her back, holding her tight to him.

She ahd missed that in the few days she had tried to avoid him.

"I'm just confused, Harry. I want to be with you so much, but then I keep telling myself I should not because we would be disrespectful of Ginny and Ron. I mean, it's just few months they are dead, and we already hook up?"

Harry kissed the top of her head. "I know, Mione" he said, using the nickname she let only him use. "I feel the same at times, but then I remember a thing James said me, and I reckon he is right"

"What did he say?"

"Nothing that feels so good can be wrong"

Hermione chuckled. "Seems a wise thing" she agreed, finally looking again into his eyes.

Harry nodded. They were still in each other arms, and he never wanted to let go.

"Hermione, I love you, and if you want to remain friends, then I can live with that, if the alternative is losing you for good. But, if I was to listen to my heart, I'd have you as much more than a friend"

She shook her head. "You'd never lose me for good, Harry. I've always been by your side and I'm not going to change that now"

"But?" he said, dreading the rest of her speech.

"But…I need some more time" she admitted. "I mean, I want to be with you too, you can't even imagine how much, but I still feel guilty"

Harry nodded. He understood that.

They heard noises upstairs, so decided to pick that talk up later. Lily and Hugo were awake now, so they needed to care about them. However, at least they were not awkward anymore around each other, and this was a good enough improvement for Harry. For the moment, at least.

Some days later, Hermione and Harry took the kids to Hyde Park, where Lily and Hugo had lots of fun playing with the snow still on the ground, and the adults laughed softly together at their antics. Harry was currently holding her close with an arm around her shoulders, and she snuggled into his embrace.

She felt safe, and her wall of guilt was crumbling day after day. She knew she needed to move on, and if she was honest with herself, Harry was the best one she could do that with. After all, the young man had always held a special spot in her heart, and now she understood why.

For once following her instincts, Hermione turned toward him, put her hands on his face and kissed him softly.

Harry was surprised at her boldness but he kissed her back all the same, inhaling her soft scent of vanilla, and closing his eyes to savour the moment better.

The kiss was just starting to grow more heated when a loud cry of joy from Lily broke them apart. Harry laughed, and turned his attention back to the kids, and Hermione did the same, an huge smile on both of their faces.

One would think this could be the turning point for them, but Harry was afraid to upset her again, and Hermione, although pleased that she had been let herself do what she wanted for once, returned to her usual "best friend mode".

-----------------------------------

As January rolled to an end, Harry decided to address a matter that he felt important.

Once the kids were in bed, he walked back to the living room where Hermione was.

"Mione, I want to talk with you about something"

She saw his serious expression and got worried. "Is something wrong, Harry?"

"No" he smiled. "I just hate seeing you waste your life as an housewife. Not that we are married, of course" he rambled, "but you get my meaning"

She smiled. He was so cute when he rambled like that. "Yes, I know what you mean, Harry"

He nodded, and continued. "So, I was thinking, maybe you should go back to work. I know how independent you are so I'm sure that would make you happy, and you don't need to worry for the kids. I'll take care of them"

Hermione looked at him tenderly. "Thanks for worrying about me, Harry. Thinking of it, I was wondering the same thing some days ago. I mean, I know it's ok for you, but still we are living in your house, and spending your money…I think I should start get some money for myself"

Harry shook his head. "Money is not a problem, Hermione. I've got enough for us and the kids not ever needing to work" he said with a smile. "And you know it means nothing to me"

She nodded. "I know" she said, giving him one of her bright smiles. "It matters to me though. I feel bad depending on you like this"

"Then go back to work" he suggested.

"I think I will" she said, snuggling into him, as they were currently sitting on the couch and watching some movie.

--------------------------

Once Hermione got back to work in the Magical Law Enforcement Department, Harry found out that with two kids to care for he had his hands quite full. But he was happy to do that, and to see Hermione reward him with her usual smile every night when she got home and found out he had already made dinner for both of them and the little ones was enough of a reward for him.

However, both of them were this busy that no one noticed Valentine's Day was coming up.

Molly, though, couldn't let them pass it at home. She had started pestering them about going out and have fun, take a night for themselves, and relax, as both were growing stressed or so she said.

Harry thought she was a bit pushy on the matter, but in the end he and Hermione relented.

That night, they brought the kids to the Burrow, where they were more than happy to stay, as Molly ahd promised them they would bake chocolate chip cookies again, together.

Arthur smiled at the pair as they left, and wished them a fun night, giving them a wink.

Harry and Hermione had to laugh about that once they were on their way to the restaurant, in Diagon Alley.

"One would think they are trying to push us together" Harry mused.

"Isn't everyone trying to do that? James, Arthur, Molly, Rose…" Hermione laughed. "Maybe they see something we don't. Or better, maybe they saw it far long before we started to"

Harry nodded, leading the way to the elegant building. He had booked a table for two there, and he had to use all the power his name still held to get one. "Merlin's Haven" was an hell of a n high class restaurant.

You weren't let in without a suit for men and a dress for women, and on Valentine's it had the most of customers of all year, as the Weird Sisters always played there.

Harry had decided since they were going to have a night out, they better have a blast of one. He was dressed in a Muggle black suit, with white shirt and tie, and Hermione thought he had never looked more smashing. As for herself, she was wrapped up in a gold dress which showed a fair bit of her cleavage, and hugged her body perfectly, showing that even after giving birth to two babies, she had was in good shape. Harry could barely stop ogling at her when he saw her the first time that night.

They chose grilled vegetables and oysters as appetizers, then they ordered grilled lobsters and potatoes.

"This dinner is going to cost you a fortune, Mr. Potter" she joked.

"Only the best for you, Ms. Granger" he retorted and even through the joking tone she could see he meant what he said.

They ate chatting quietly about anything but the kids, they already had their hands full of them, thanks, and then had chocolate pie as dessert.

Finally, the Weird Sisters started playing, and a dance floor appeared in the middle of the room, which was instantly magically enlarged.

"Would you like to dance?" Harry asked her, and she nodded, taking his outstretched hand. She ahd to admit he wasn't bad at dancing as he wanted everyone to think, and for once let her thoughts drift back to the Yule Ball, so many years ago. If he ahd asked her to that Ball, things may have been completely different for them. But it was no use to dwell on what it might have been.

They had future ahead of them now, and it would be long enough to enjoy it together. After all they were still young and wizards aged slower than Muggles.

As the night ended, they walked back home, Harry keeping her close with an arm around her shoulders and her around his waist.

"Harry, thanks for the wonderful night" she said, once they were inside.

"My pleasure" he replied, kissing the top of her head. He wanted so much to kiss her but he respected the fact she still needed time. What he didn't know, though, was that she ahd finally made up her mind.

"Good night, Hermione" he said, moving toward his bedroom.

"Harry" she called. He turned, confused.

"I don't think you've properly wished me good night, you know" she said, moving closer to him, and lacing her arms around his neck.

Harry was surprised at her behaviour, but went along with it. "And what would a proper good night require, Ms. Granger?" he huskily said.

"Mmmh, I dunno" she coyly retorted. "What do you think?"

He didn't answer, just kissed her hard, sneaking his tongue in, and she moaned. As she pressed herself even more into him, her own tongue searched his, caressing, now slowly now faster, and exploring his mouth like he did in hers.

Her hands fisted his hair as the kiss grew hungrier and he caressed her back, moving then to her sides. Moving backwards, he opened his room and pulled her in, never breaking the kiss. She did not protest, and followed him to the bed, for the first time since she lived there joining him in it.

They had definitely moved one step forward in their search for the lost happiness.

-->