Unofficial Portkey Archive

After The Night, Sun Shines by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

After The Night, Sun Shines

Harry85

Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…the song is form Elton John from "The Lion King" soundtrack. Childish, I know, but I love it, lol.

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Seventeen: The Wedding

It was one month before the wedding now, and Harry was reminded of what it had been the first time with Ginny. She would never let him rest, she was crazy with preparations, and Molly didn't help, adding her own anxiety to the mix.

He had hoped he would never have to go through that another time, but now it was that all over again.

Their house was swamped with bridal magazines, and both Molly and Hermione's mother were doing their best to have the perfect ceremony. Only, if having Ginny and Molly discuss things had been bad, now it was Molly, Hermione and her mother, so the chaos was even higher. Add to it that Rose often joined them, and the picture was complete.

Lily and Hugo were excited to have Molly there constantly but Harry could tell James, Albus and Scorpius could easily make it without all of that.

"Hey, you three" he called to them. "Why don't we go have fun somewhere else? We are clearly not needed here and we could have a two vs. two Quidditch game in the backyard" he suggested.

The three boys looked at each other and grinned. "Great idea, Dad" James said, clapping him on his back and going to retrieve his broom, while Albus and Scorpius did the same.

The four of them had a blast that afternoon, but saying that Hermione wasn't so happy at them leaving was an understatement.

That day at dinner she didn't say a single word to Harry, and for the first time since they were together he was sent to spend the night on the couch.

He sighed, as he adjusted himself there. "So much for trying to let the kids have fun" he thought before falling asleep.

He however learned his lesson and never left the "meetings" again, giving his input when he was asked, which was more or less once in a whole day. He was ok with it, what mattered to him was that he and Hermione were getting married and the details were just that, details, but not for the four women in his living room.

They were continuously discussing if Hermione should wear a veil or not, which colour the bridesmaids should have their dresses, which kind of decoration the Hogwarts grounds would have (yes, the pair had decided to get married there, as the school was where they got to know each other so well and where they had lived many of their adventures), what to have for the buffet, and such.

As another headache hit him, Harry just had to get some fresh air. Rose saw that and pitied him, she seemed the only one of those four knowing how pointless all of that was for him, but she loved joining those meetings all the same. They made her feel more girly, and it was a pleasurable feeling.

Some days later, Hermione finally asked Harry for help, thus actually involving him in the preparations instead of uselessly keeping him there to just watch at them.

"We need to write the invitations and we need to choose groomsmen and bridesmaids" she said to him that night after dinner.

"Ok, so, you want a little ceremony or something big?" he asked, sipping his Butterbeer.

"I'd prefer something little, with just our kids, closest friends and families" she admitted, taking a piece of parchment and a quill.

"Well, then who qualifies for closest friends? I'd say Neville and Luna, for sure. Maybe Seamus, Dean and Lav?"

Hermione thought about it. "Well, I guess they were in our same year at Hogwarts, so yes, I think we should invite them. And Parvati too, don't forget her or she will throw a tantrum" she added, rolling her eyes.

Harry laughed. "Right. Then of course we are inviting the Weasleys, they are more or less family after all. You might want to invite Krum too"

"Of course" Hermione smiled, scribbling the names down.

"I guess the list of the guests is done, then. As for groomsmen and bridesmaids…I'd say Teddy as best man, Neville and George as groomsmen. And James too, let's give him some responsibility for once, although I'm quite conflicted about choosing him or Bill" he said with a smile.

Hermione thought about it. "Maybe it's better to have Bill. I mean, it's a bit unusual to have the groom's son as a groomsman" she reasoned.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I guess you're right. What about you?"

"Well, I'd say Luna as my maid of honour, then Fleur, Lav and Parvati as bridesmaids, although I might consider Kate as one too"

"I honestly prefer Kate instead of Parvati" Harry commented. Hermione nodded her agreement, scribbling the names down.

"Ok, let's write these invitations then, shall we?" she concluded.

In a few minutes, the parchments were ready, there was the normal invitation, and the request for those who were chosen as wedding party to let them know if they were up to it or not.

They sent them away with Harry's new owl, Hedwig II, which was as snowy as the first, and which hooted quite angrily at the stack of letters she had to deliver.

"Sorry girl, it's important" Harry apologized to her giving her some extra treats before the trip.

One week later, they organised a trip to Madame Malkin's to choose the robes they would all wear that day. The bridesmaids, after a tiring session of trying everything the shop had to offer, settled for matching peach-coloured dress robes, and Harry had to literally stop his son from drooling over Kate.

She blushed at the attention, pleased that she could affect him this much.

The bride's dress was kept secret from Harry but everyone assured him she was breathtaking in it, and he trusted their opinion. After all, to him Hermione was breathtaking in anything she wore, so…

Harry himself however didn't look so bad in his grey ceremony dress robe, as Luna innocently pointed out he was "absolutely fanciable", which made everyone chuckle, and Harry blush scarlet red.

Few days before the actual wedding there was a general practice, let's call it this way, as Harry, Hermione and their parties went to Hogwarts, still empty of course, and rehearsed the things they would have to do, where would they have to stay, and such.

Scorpius and Rose took the chance at being alone to spend some quality time together, still keeping an eye on Lily and Hugo.

James had gone with the adults as Kate was part of the wedding party and he wanted to be with her and Albus was in his room, so they were free to snuggle and watch a Muggle romantic comedy in the living room.

Not that they saw too much of it anyhow, as they were more interested in each other.

"I still can't believe you're really here" she said, looking up at him tenderly.

"I can't believe it too, at times, but it's true" he replied. "And there is nowhere else I'd like more to be right now" he said, pulling her for a kiss that she replied to quite eagerly. She actually moved on his lap and buried her hands in his hair, one moving to the nape of his neck as he caressed her sides and back.

They were so involved in each other that the loud crack of Apparating startled them, making them jump apart. Harry and the others had come back sidelong Apparating James and Kate.

When Harry stepped into the living room, the movie was just ending and he looked at the two teens, who were quite dishevelled.

"What movie did you watch?" he asked, casually.

"Love Actually" Scorpius said, at the same time Rose answered too, "There's something about Mary".

Harry chuckled, shaking his head and walking into the kitchen to grab something to eat, while the teens blushed realizing they had been easily discovered.

----------

Finally the day of the wedding arrived. Harry was a nervous wreck, waiting for his bride in front of the altar placed on the Hogwarts grounds.

The day was sunny, and there was no threat of rain, luckily.

As he saw his godfather so tense, Teddy approached him. "Come on, Harry, there's nothing to be worried about" he said, trying to ease the other man's anxiety.

"You say that because it's not you here now. Let's see how you fare in a couple months" Harry retorted, referring to the upcoming wedding between Teddy and Victoire.

"Point taken" the young man laughed. "But really, she loves you, and she's going to be here at your side in minutes. There's nothing to worry about"

Harry nodded, still not completely convinced. However, every fear he might have had vanished the moment the wedding march started playing and she appeared, walking down the aisle with her father on her arm.

She smiled at him, in the end they ahd decided for not using a veil, so he could see her face clearly now. They ahd been right, she was utterly stunning in her simple white dress, which clung to her well, but not too much as to result too sexy. There were two lines of little sparkling diamonds on either side of her dress, and a single white rose was pinned in her hair, giving her an even more angelic glow.

As she reached him at the altar, the ceremony started.

"We are here today to unite in marriage Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Granger. Who gives this witch away?" the officer asked.

"I, her father, do" Mr. Granger said, his voice cracking. It was the second time but it was not better than the first, he would never get used to it even if he had to do it thousand times.

Then he moved to join her mother in the first row of the audience.

As the ceremony progressed, the moment came of exchanging their vows.

"Hermione," Harry started, emotion clear on his face, "we have known each other since we were eleven, and we worked out a wonderful friendship through many perils and difficulties. With time this friendship blossomed into love, I can't really tell you when it happened, but I know now that I love you more than myself, and will always do what I can to keep you happy. I love you, Hermione"

"Harry," she replied, her own voice cracking a bit. "You're right, we can't exactly pinpoint when our love started, and I don't think it really matters. What matters is that we love each other now, and that we will always do, and together we will raise our kids to be great wizards, but before that, caring and compassionate human beings, something you had to find your way to on your own because of your upbringing, and that still amazes me you managed to accomplish on your own. I love you too, Harry"

After that, they exchanged the rings, and finally the moment both of them were waiting for came.

"Harry, you may kiss the bride" the officer announced, grinning.

He didn't need to be told twice, and pulled her to him in a chaste kiss, but just because they had an audience because if it was up to him the kiss would have been much more heated, so strong was his love for her he couldn't get enough of that amazing woman who had just become his wife, while all around them the cheers erupted.

Once the ceremony was finished, the seats magically vanished, and were replaced with tables, much more comfy chairs, and the altar was substituted by the buffet. People started filling their plates with the complex but tasty dishes, and all ate peacefully, exchanging jokes, or retelling the last gossips in Parvati and Lavender cases.

Then, the moment for dancing came. Harry and Hermione, being the newlyweds, had to open the dances, and it couldn't be on anything else than a romantic song.

There's a calm surrender to the rush of day
When the heat of a rolling wind can be turned away
An enchanted moment, and it sees me through
It's enough for this restless warrior just to be with you

Harry and Hermione were moving to the rhythm of the slow music, and no one else had yet joined them on the dance floor. All the eyes were on them, who sported huge grins while looking at each other's eyes.

And can you feel the love tonight
It is where we are
It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
That we got this far
And can you feel the love tonight
How it's laid to rest
It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best

By now other couples had joined them dancing, for example James and Kate, and Rose and Scorpius too.

"I wish I could have danced with you at the Ball" the blonde said wistfully. "But at least I can do it now" he added with a grin.

"That you do" she replied, resting her head on his shoulder while swaying to the song.

"Aren't they cute?" Kate gushed while she and her boyfriend were moving past the younger couple.

"I admit I never thought possible, but yes, they are indeed cute" he said with a grin, "Not as much as you and me, though" he added then, with a confident smile.

"Your ego is already bigger than this castle, you know" she said, playfully rolling her eyes at him.

"And you love me for that" he cheekily retorted, silencing her with a kiss. She moaned into his mouth and kissed him back.

"I think I love you more for this other side of you" she coyly admitted, before kissing him again.

There's a time for everyone if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn
There's a rhyme and reason to the wild outdoors
When the heart of this star-crossed voyager beats in time with yours

Once the crowd had dispersed, everyone wishing the newlyweds an happy marriage, with the Weasleys who had volunteered taking the kids to the Burrow for their honeymoon, Harry and Hermione Apparated to a secluded island in the French Polynesia where Harry had booked for them two weeks in the most luxurious suite, which had a spectacular view on the ocean and private access to the beach, so that they would never be disturbed by other customers.

Although, Harry highly doubted they would be much on the beach, in those two weeks.

-->