Unofficial Portkey Archive

After The Night, Sun Shines by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

After The Night, Sun Shines

Harry85

Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

This chapter is a bit of a filler, apart for the last part. I hope you won't be too upset for the little cliffie…

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Fifteen: Normal Life

Once the three children had left for Hogwarts again, Harry and Hermione fell into a routine, dealing with their newly found love for each other, caring about the kids, and Hermione going back to work.

She had been given the same spot she had held before, Minister Shacklebolt knew she would start working again soon or later and found it unfair for her to have to start her career again, so her position had been filled "at interim" by a colleague. Actually, the girl who was Hermione's direct inferior in the ranks.

So, Harry and Hermione had gotten used to wake up together, usually snuggling, which both found highly pleasurable. Then they would wish each other good morning with a kiss, which at times could be rather passionate, and more than once they had to suddenly stop because of Lily and/or Hugo coming into their room.

This reduced their morning "rendezvous" to a minimum, just when the two little ones were at the Burrow, where Molly was never tired to have them, which usually happened every Saturday night, so that Harry and Hermione could have some time for themselves to relax. They would join their children at the Burrow at Sunday for lunch before bringing them back home.

Then they would get up and prepare breakfast for them all, Lily sometimes helping with the easiest things like placing cups on the table. Hugo was normally more of a late person so he rarely was up with them, he would come down a bit later.

After they all ate together, eggs, bacon, and pancakes for the adults, mostly biscuits, milk and jam for the children, Harry would care after them while Hermione would go have a shower, dress and then head to the Ministry.

Here she would go up to the Magical Law Enforcement Department, walk down the corridor to her office, and greet the girl who worked with her before starting to go through the files on her table. They had become friends in the years and she had been more than happy to give back to Hermione the position.

"I felt a bit uneasy having to fill for you, actually" Christine had said. "I don't think I have the needed charisma to deal with trials like you do"

"Oh, come on, you're a very talented witch. I was scared of hearings too at first, but with time you learn to be adequately aggressive and such" Hermione smiled, sipping the cup of coffee the other girl had just brought her.

"Since we have dealt with this big case now, I was thinking me and you could go grab a bite outside the Ministry today, relax a bit, maybe have some window shopping" she suggested then. "I mean, I guess we deserve a little break, we worked hard on this trial for a month…"

"I'd like that" the other girl replied. "Maybe we can have a look into Muggle London, I've heard they have these wonderful dresses"

Hermione laughed. Her friend was pureblood but had definitely a knack for Muggle clothes.

Then, when Hermione got back home, she would find Harry in the kitchen preparing dinner, and the kids usually watching TV. Hugo was at times outside in the backyard flying on his toy broom Harry ahd gifted him at his birthday, since the weather was getting better and warmer.

The thing couldn't go fast nor too high and the backyard was easy to control from the kitchen so Harry could easily look after him from there.

He had learned all of her favourites and he often made them, getting better at it every time as he had a book about wizarding recipes Molly had gifted them, and one about Muggle ones he had found some weeks ago in a market in Muggle London, where he liked to go now and then with the kids, to let them know that other world too, or at least a bit.

That night wasn't an exception.

"You like what you see?" he teased her when he noticed her leaning on the doorframe, watching him with a smile.

She walked toward him till she was inches from his face. "Very" she said huskily, licking her lips just a bit.

He watched her mesmerized, it was strange to think she held so much power over him. Ginny had never been able to get him this aroused with such a simple gesture.

Not caring what the kids would say, he pulled her at him and kissed her hard, to which she replied in the same fashion, burying one hand in his hair, caressing it, and stopping at the nape of his neck, pushing his head even more toward hers, while he was exploring her sides with his own hands.

They were so wrapped up in their heated kiss, tongues swirling around each other in a frenzied rhythm, that they never noticed Hugo coming in from the backyard with his toy broom in his hand.

"Eww" the kid protested, at which the two adults moved apart, blushing furiously, then they laughed softly.

"You'll find it isn't so bad in few years time, you little rascal" Harry said, mussing his dark red hair.

"Never" was the boy's reply while he snuck a biscuit in his mouth, and ran away before his mother could take it away from him.

Harry chuckled. "He sure enough has Ron's appetite" he commented, while checking on the soup on the stove.

"That's obvious" Hermione said with a smile, taking out plates. It was good being able to talk about Ron and Ginny without much hurt now. Yes, at times they both would have memories that made them sad, but they had each other now and it was enough to go on. Hermione more than once wondered if this was meant to be from the beginning, and if they hadn't made the wrong choices so many years ago.

She had been happy with Ron, but with Harry it was different. She felt she could completely be herself, not caring if they had different opinions because it wouldn't turn in a shouting match if not in rare cases, and over something really important. She felt she was more relaxed now.

As for Harry, apart not being able to keep his hands off of her, which lately wasn't the case with Ginny, and had never truly been this intense even in the beginning, he knew no on else knew him better than Hermione, even if they had been married to other people for twenty years. He knew he wouldn't need to explain everything, because she could see many things for herself, just looking at him, and he could discuss work at home, something Ginny had always thought off limits.

He felt more complete, and as bad as it may have sounded in regard to his deceased wife, he knew it was the truth.

Then, after dinner, they would relax on the couch, chatting, or reading, or watching TV. At times Hermione might have to work a bit at home, but it wasn't something usual, and they both preferred to pass time with their children if they could, so Harry had started playing wizarding chess with Hugo.

"You know, I think he inherited Ron's skills with the game" he huffed when the kid managed to defeat him for the fifth time in a row. Hermione laughed softly looking tenderly at both of them. Lily had by now accepted her as her new Mum, if one can put it this way, and Hugo loved Harry as his own father.

So, their life together was almost perfect. Almost.

There was just one thing that troubled them, and it was Rose. She had been sad before leaving, and no one knew why. Hermione was sincerely worried, but her daughter wouldn't talk to her about it, not even in the letters she sent home every week.

So, it was to her utter surprise when Harry greeted her home one night with a bright smile, a piece of parchment in hi hands.

"I know what Rose's problem is" he said, showing her the letter James had sent him. Hermione greedily read it, and then sighed in relief. It was just boy problems, although it seemed serious.

"Draco is the usual git" she muttered, and had an half idea to go speak her mind to him, but Harry stopped her.

"Don't. They can deal with it on their own, plus I've already sent James my Cloak to help Scorpius talk with Rose, since it seems she has managed to avoid him so far"

"She will be upset if he sneaks on her, Harry" Hermione countered.

"I know it's a risk but it's the only way they have left" he commented, serious. Hermione nodded, just wishing her daughter had talked to her about that.

"I know what you think and it's not your fault" he said. "You're a great mum, but there are things the kids are going to keep from you now and then and I don't delude myself thinking I will always know anything going on with Albus and James, and especially with Lily once she gets older and will have this kind of troubles"

Hermione smiled, nodding. "I know, I just wish I could do something to ease her pain" she sighed.

---------------------

Harry was pleased with himself. He had just had a nice chat with Molly and Arthur, as he was worried about their reaction to something he wanted to do.

They had, instead, been more than understanding and even encouraged him to do that, telling him he should not waste time, because it was of course the best thing for all of them.

On the way back home, where Teddy was babysitting the children for the afternoon, he stopped at Diagon Alley for some shopping, and after an hour or so he found exactly what he was searching.

It was time to relieve his godson from his duty of dealing with two kids.

"Hi, Teddy, I'm home" he called out once there.

"Hi, Harry" the young man replied from the living room where he was on the floor playing with Hugo, while Lily was going through the figures of a fairy tale book on the couch.

"Did these two give you an hard time?"

"Not at all, they were good all afternoon" Teddy said with a smile.

They wished each other a good evening, and then Harry set to prepare dinner. "What would you like tonight?"

"Pizza!" both of the kids cried, and Harry grinned. "Pizza it is, then" he nodded, and started working on it. He had found he liked it quite much so it was more than ok with him.

Some days later, Harry had organised everything for his plan. He had left the kids at the Burrow, and had got the encouragement of his in-laws, before heading back home. He had set a romantic scenery for him and Hermione, with a candlelit table, a bottle of Champagne that he had enchanted to stay cool, soft music playing, and all of her favourite dishes.

Harry was nervous and kept checking his appearance in the mirror.

"You should stop try and flatten your hair, it's not going to work" it said to him, and Harry just glared at the thing, walking away, waiting anxiously for the moment Hermione would come home.

Finally, he heard the front door click open, and walked to greet her.

She was surprised, and wondered what was going on.

"I just thought we might enjoy a night for ourselves during the week too" he said, reading her mind.

"So the kids are at the Burrow?" she guessed, and he nodded.

"Thanks, Harry. This was really a nice thought" she appreciated, sitting at her place and pouring some wine in her glass.

They chatted quietly through their meal, laughing now and then if one of the two joked or teased the other. Both enjoyed the night immensely and Harry was glad everything was going fine so far.

Once they finished their dessert, he had made a chocolate cake, he moved from his chair, walked in front of her, and there he looked in her eyes. She was puzzled at his behaviour, he could see it in her eyes, and he had to restrain himself from chuckling.

Then he got on one knee, and pulling out a small box that he opened in front of her, he spoke, his own voice cracking more than he cared for.

"Hermione, will you marry me?"

-->