Unofficial Portkey Archive

After The Night, Sun Shines by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

After The Night, Sun Shines

Harry85

Disclaimer: Nope I don't own Harry Potter. Which is a shame, because it'd have gone Harmony if I did…

A/N: An idea I had just after reading DH to make right things after the crapilogue. Hope you'll like the story, and please if you read, review, thanks.

After The Night, Sun Shines

Chapter Nine: The Yule Ball

It was now a month since the deaths of Ron and Ginny. At Hogwarts, James had found great help from Rob and Kate to overcome the pain of the loss.

His best mate had the definite sensation that something was going on between the oldest Potter kid and the brunette, even if the two of them were too blind to see it.

"I guess I'll have to enlist Albus and Rose's help" he thought to himself grinning

"What makes you so happy, Rob?" James asked, ruffling his hair, as he joined him at the Gryffindor table for breakfast. Kate looked up hearing his voice and she blushed, then buried herself again in the Daily Prophet.

"Oh, nothing, just wondering who I may ask to the upcoming Yule Ball" the blonde said, nonchalantly.

"I dunno if I'll go" James said, frowning. If he did, he would probably have to go with Serena, since she still was his girlfriend. He hadn't had the heart to break up with her, yet, although she got on his nerves constantly now.

Having to spend the whole night with her was not something he wished. Now, if he could pass it with Kate…

"Stop it, Potter" he chastised himself. "She's just your best friend"

And with that, he silently filled his plate with pancakes, sausages and eggs.

Rob, however, wasn't ready to let the matter go. "Who are you going with, Kate?" he asked, a bit too flirtatiously for James' taste, who suddenly looked up.

"I-I don't know yet" she stammered, her cheeks turning pink again.

Now James was definitely interested. She was blushing so she had to have her eye on someone. He needed to know who the guy was, to have a nice chat with him. She was his best friend after all, he needed to protect her.

This is the way he justified it to himself, but anyone could have said him he was just delusional about that, as he usually did, lately, when it came to Kate.

Rose, who had been listening to the conversation, rolled her eyes at her older cousin. Albus, instead, was definitely not interested. After all he was still a third year, so he could not go if some girl from fourth year or more asked him to, and that was less than likely.

As he and Rose left to go to their first lesson, Care of Magical Creatures, they were joined by Scorpius Malfoy, who settled himself on Rose's right side, while Albus was on the left. The two boys had learned to be civil to each other for her sake, as the Slytherin had become a constant companion for her.

She cherished the new friendship lots, and found out that Scorpius had not this much friends himself. Now that he had pushed away Natalie and Vincent to stand by her side, he was as alone as she was. The fact he was a Malfoy gave him some respect in the Slytherin common room, but the fact he was "associating with the enemy", as his housemates put it, made him lose some of it.

"Division between houses is so childish" Rose had said. "My mother always says we should all be friends and unite, to avoid the errors of the past"

"Your mum is smart then" Scorpius joked. He knew his father would probably not agree with him but he thought the hate between Gryffindor and Slytherin was stupid. The fact that a lovely witch like Rose was in Gryffindor reinforced his idea on the matter.

After their lessons, going back to the castle, they saw some girls gossiping and giggling.

"Sure enough they are talking about the Ball" Rose snorted. "It's all the older girls can think about these days"

Albus and Scorpius looked at each other, one of the few times they didn't glare at the other, completely confused. What was so special about that Ball?

However, in few days time, Scorpius changed his view of the event. He had decided that it was no use to wait more, and he wanted to let Rose know how he felt about her.

"I mean, it's not like I'm in love with her, but she's fun, she's witty and smart, and she's also good looking" he reasoned to himself. "I know she would probably turn me down, since I'm a Malfoy and all, but at least she would know I fancy her"

Then he slammed his book shut in frustration. "Damned that rule about only fourth years and older being able to go!" he thought.

His fellow Slytherins snickered.

"What, the Weasley girl got your pants in a twist, Malfoy?" they teased him, and he glared at them all, then went to his dorm.

"At least, she can't go too" he reasoned, to calm himself, while lying on his bed, his eyes closed. As he did so, he kept seeing her face smiling at him, something that had happened often lately. Well, since he stuck up for her, actually.

And with that, he drifted off to sleep, content.

In the meantime, James was patrolling the corridors as his prefect status required of him. Kate was not with him at the moment, she had an essay to finish so he had volunteered to go alone and let her work on it.

He grinned to himself remembering the dazzling smile she had given him.

He found he thought of her a whole lot lately, and that made him both happy and troubled. See, he had started noticing things like how her lips were full and seemingly soft, how her face would glow in the firelight, and he wanted so much to stroke her hair…

Shaking his head, he tried to clear his mind of this kind of images, they were definitely not going to help him in convincing himself she was just his best friend.

Since nothing happened, he thought wise to go back to his dorm to have some sleep. However, as he stepped into the common room, which felt quite chilly now that the fire had died, he noticed her sleeping form on the couch. She still had books sprawled before her, and he shook his head smiling.

He could have woken her up and let her go to her dorm, but he was transfixed by the angelic look on her face. Pushing a tendril of hair back behind her ear, he closed her books, stacked them near the couch, and conjured a warm blanket to cover her.

As he did so, she snuggled under it, emitting a soft sound that seemed something like a purr. James was shocked to find he was kind of excited by that. He and Serena had snogged times and times again, and she had moaned lots into their kissing, but no sound she ever did could match the effect Kate's soft purr had on him.

Troubled, he flicked his wand to the fireplace, starting the fire again, then he walked up to his dorm, where he snuck into bed, and immediately fell asleep, thinking of a certain brunette.

-------------------------------------------------

As the days passed, Rob got more and more frustrated with his friends' blindness. James and Kate were still dancing around each other, and the Ball was near. If he didn't act quickly, James would go with Serena, and the chance would be missed.

No, there was work to be done, and he knew he had to exploit James' jealousy. He took Albus and Rose apart, and explained them his plan.

"Why are we doing this if James already has a girlfriend? She's hot too" Albus innocently asked. Rose smacked him on the head.

"Because she's not right for your brother, you git. Anyone could see he and Kate are perfect for each other" she glared at him. Then, turning to Rob, she smiled. "We will help" she agreed for both her and Albus, who then followed her to their next class, Charms.

So, they started the rumour that Kate was going to the Ball with the Ravenclaw Quidditch Captain. It wasn't true, of course, but in Hogwarts Castle news fly, even when they are not supposed to, so it soon enough reached James' ears.

He didn't like it. Not one bit. Rob almost laughed seeing his face at the news. As Kate arrived at breakfast that morning, a dreamy smile on her face, Rob almost doubled over. He didn't know what made her so happy but whatever it was, it worked greatly with the rumour they had spread.

James noticed her expression too. He wasn't Harry's son for nothing, and couldn't stop himself from blurting out the question.

"Are you going to the Ball with someone?" he casually asked.

"No, why?" she asked, dumbfounded.

"Don't lie to me, Kate" James growled. Rob grew preoccupied, he hadn't expected that.

"I'm not lying, James Sirius Potter" she narrowed her eyes at him. James knew he was in trouble, she never called him with his full name if she wasn't extremely pissed at him, but he was angry too. He wasn't ready to let go.

"What about Herbert Goldstein?" he said, his brown eyes growing darker.

"You know what, I never thought about it. I might ask him myself after breakfast" Kate spat back, then she left.

James stood up too, and followed her.

Rob and Rose exchanged a look as to say things were definitely not going like they had imagined.

As he stalked her through the halls, James finally managed to grab Kate's wrist.

"Let go of me, Potter" she snarled, turning and pointing her own wand at him.

"Go with me to the Ball" he blurted out, a fierce look in his eyes, as he gently pushed her on the wall of the corridor, trapping her there with his body.

She looked up at him, and her anger melted away. She could not meet his eyes and not feel like snogging him senseless for hours.

Kate let her wand fall, as her insides almost literally turned into a puddle, and grabbed his arm for support.

"Yes" she breathed.

He grinned and leaned in, wanting to kiss her. There was no way he could cover what had just happened with them being best friends, and he was ready to admit it now. He had fallen for his best friend and was still falling harder day by day.

However, their lips never met, as they heard footsteps coming, and they hastily pushed themselves away form the other.

They sighed their relief seeing it was just Rob.

"Oi!" he called to them. "Here you are. You two not going to blast the school away, right?" he joked, and the pair nervously laughed, joining him in his walk to Transfiguration.

---------------------------------------------

If Scorpius Malfoy was mad at not being able to ask Rose to the Ball, he was downright furious two days later. He was just going to their lesson, they had Potions, when he heard someone talking in the hall. He looked from behind a corner, and it was Rose with a fourth year Hufflepuff, Stephan Hoggler.

"I was wondering…would you like to come to the Ball with me?" the boy asked.

Rose was completely taken aback from the question. Quickly reasoning it would be rude to say no, she nodded. After all the one she wanted to ask her couldn't because of the school rules, so it was pointless to wait for him to do that.

"Yes" she said then, smiling. The boy smiled back.

"It's settled then. I'll see you in front of the Great Hall at seven, ok?"

"Ok" she said, still a bit dazzled about the fact she had said yes.

Scorpius wanted to bang his head on the wall.

"Perfect, now she's going to have the night of her life with that bloke and will never look at me twice" he scowled, moving to join her as she was going to the dungeons too.

-------------------------------------------

It was finally the day of the Ball, and Rose felt elated. True, she didn't even know the bloke that well, but she was going to be there! She had that smile on her face all day, and knew now why the other girls felt so happy about going, and giggled for hours about it.

Scorpius couldn't bear the idea of her going to the Ball with someone else, and her stupid grin reminded him of that constantly.

"Have a nice night, Weasley" he snarled at her while going away after their last class of the day. She looked at his retreating form wondering what the hell was wrong with him. He had not called her Weasley in more than a month and sure enough he had not used that tone with her for the same time.

She didn't have time to dwell on that though, she had to go and get ready for the Ball. Her mother had sent her a set of new robes, they were light blue, and she loved them.

As the Ball started, couples met in front of the Great Hall. There was a huge crowd, and Serena was waiting for James. They had not talked about it, but of course they would go together. They were a couple after all.

So, she was completely shocked to see him walk down the stairs with Kate on his arm. She was wearing a red dress who made her look divine, Serena had to admit. It clung to her body perfectly and showed part of her back, and some of her cleavage too. Her hair was smoothed and collected behind her head, only two tendrils adorned her face; she had just an hint of make up, as she didn't really need it to look beautiful. James couldn't take his eyes off her, and they were laughing at something she had said.

Serena marched toward the couple.

"James!" she shrilly said. "Why is she on your arm?"

"Uh, well…we are going to the Ball" he lamely explained.

"But I'm your girlfriend, you're supposed to go with me!" the blonde girl protested. James hated himself for letting her know like this, but it was now or never.

"Serena, I'm sorry. I know this is the worst way I could let you know, but…it's over. We should stop seeing each other" and with one last apologetic look at her, he walked inside the Great Hall with the girl on his arm.

Serena was left there, crying, and soon later retreated to her dorm, heartbroken.

Once inside, they headed for a table where Rob and his date, a fourth year Gryffindor named Jennifer Finnegan, daughter of Harry's former fellow Gryffindor Seamus Finnegan, were waiting for them.

As the four grabbed something to eat, James noticed Rose.

"What is she doing here?" he asked, protectively.

"She's been asked by a fourth year Hufflepuff" Rob explained. "Don't worry mate, she's more than able to look after herself, if she's so similar to her mother like you say"

James, smiled, and nodded. "She's a miniature of Aunt Hermione" he confirmed. "Yes, I'm sure she will be fine" he agreed then.

Soon music started to sound, and James stood up.

"Miss Winters, would you give me the honour of this dance?" he asked, holding out an hand for her.

"Why, you're so courteous, Mr. Potter. I think I'll accept your offer" she said, smiling shyly at him and taking his hand, following him on the dance floor.

Rob chuckled. "Seems my plan to get them together is working, although not exactly like I envisioned it" he mused, remembering the almost blow out the two of them had few days ago at breakfast. His date smiled, and nodded. "They are so cute" she agreed dreamily.

As the two of them danced, James pulled her close, and she rested her head on his chest, feeling in heaven. She sighed happily, and kept moving to the music together with him.

As the song ended and another slow one started, she pushed herself away a bit to look at him in the eyes, and found him grinning at her, in that way which always made her knees go weak.

She didn't know who moved first, but soon enough their faces were mere inches away, and few moments later their lips met.

It was like a ton of fireworks had erupted behind his eyelids, James fleetingly thought, before running his tongue on her lower lip to ask for entrance. She eagerly let him in, and their tongues started a dance of their own, exploring each other's mouth, caressing, searching the other like their life depended on that.

He pulled her close and deepened the kiss even more, feeling his need for her become overwhelming, and she moaned softly into his mouth. That sent a jolt of electricity through his whole body, something he had never experienced before.

As they parted for lack of air, he took her hand and led her out of the room, to a more secluded place to continue what they had started.

Rose couldn't help grinning and high-fiving Rob, who grinned back.

As for her own Ball, it wasn't bad. Nothing excellent though, and that bloke, while trying to be attentive, still stepped on her toes twice. She just had to stop dancing before her feet hurt too much.

She was currently drinking some Butterbeer and wondering what Scorpius might be doing at the moment. The Gryffindor girl was still bothered by his words that afternoon.

Rose decided to go and find him. To the hell with the Ball if the only true friend she had managed to have outside of her cousins was sad or troubled for some reason.

So she left, wishing good night to Rob, and went to the place she suspected him to be. It had become their place to go and talk with each other when they felt sad for any reason.

As she made it to the lake, Rose could see someone sitting near the shore, and immediately recognized him.

"Scorpius!" she called. The blonde turned, shocked to see her there.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. "Didn't you have a date for the Ball?"

"Oh, it didn't feel so good to be there without my best friend" she confessed, sitting near him, and sending him a shy smile.

He looked at her and he could see she was sincere.

"So what were you up to?" she asked then.

"Just thinking" he shrugged. "Nothing important"

They sat there chatting for a while, both feeling better than the whole evening till that moment. Rose shivered as wind blew past them, and Scorpius wrapped his cloak around her. She smiled to let him know she appreciated the gesture, and he nodded.

Finally, it was time for them to go back to the castle. As they were at the start of the stairs to Gryffindor Tower, they wished the other good night.

"And have a merry Christmas" Scorpius said, then he leaned in to kiss her. Only, at the last moment he chickened out and ended kissing her just on the corner of her lips. Then, blushing, he waved her one last time and left to his common room, leaving behind a confused Rose Weasley, who stood there touching the spot he had kissed, wondering what had just happened.

-->