Unofficial Portkey Archive

Going Against the Grain by cosmopolitan411
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Going Against the Grain

cosmopolitan411

Chapter VI: eureka

--

"Okay, you're seriously starting to scare me. I mean, you're staring at Peter of all people! Has your taste in guys really been degraded to that level?" Carter asked her with distaste, in turn interrupting her from her thoughts.

"There is something familiar about him; I just can't seem to be able to put my finger on it," Lily told him, never taking her eyes away from the boy who was currently staring at James in awe as he told some story.

"Where could you possibly have met him? He never goes to professional quidditch games or to parties and those were the only things that you ever did outside of your house when you in England during your breaks."

"I told you I don't know, didn't I?" annoyed by his pointing out the futility behind her logic.

"Whatever, don't fret about it too much. Second you stop thinking about it you'll remember, it always happens like that."

"True," she smiled at his logic.

"So, what's with you and James? You promised me you'd tell me the story behind the two of you, but you never made good on it," Carter asked curiously.

Lily just rolled her eyes at him, "you're such a gossip girl."

--

"Hey Lils," she heard someone call from behind and turned to see Remus running towards her (with Sirius and James trailing behind, obviously curious as to what was going on).

"Hey Remus," she greeted him before lowering her voice and asking, "How did it go last night? Did the potion work?"

"Wow, one question at a time Lils," he teased her, "and yeah, it was great. That was actually why I wanted to talk to you, I wanted to thank you."

She couldn't believe that she was blushing when he said that, she never did that, "I had to repay you in some way and that was the best thing I could think of."

"Well it meant a lot to me. Especially the fact that you didn't have any qualms or anything with my `furry little problem.'"

"Furry little problem?" she asked him, amused by his description.

"Yeah, James came up with it, thought that there should be some better way to describe it than all the terms available."

"It's cute," Lily laughed.

"Thanks, anyway, James and Sirius are waiting for me so I should; probably go, but I'll see you in class later."

"Okay, bye."

--

"Hey James, I need to ask you something," she said once she came up to him.

"Um, sure Lils, ask away," he told her, but she could see that he was obviously as uncomfortable as she was.

"It's about Peter," he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, obviously never having expected for her to ask a question about a boy who she had never even spoken to. "I know that this might sound weird, but I really can't tell you why I am asking. Did you spend any time with Peter during the summer?"

"No, none of us did. He was visiting some distant family member or something like that."

"Okay, thanks," she smiled before walking away.

"She is a weird girl, isn't she?" Remus asked as he walked up to James.

"That does not even begin to cover it, mate."

"Got to love her."

--

"I know where I met Peter," she told Carter as she ran up to him after his Quidditch practice.

"Where?"

"He stayed with my family during the summer break."

"But Peter was-"

"Visiting some distant family member? Yeah, I heard that one too, he lied. I don't know why they need him or even want him, but I am so going to find out."

"Aren't you going to tell Remus, James, or Sirius about your little discovery? They might appreciate the warning."

"Can't. Not until I find proof, you know that Sirius won't believe me otherwise."

"He might. You never know," Carter shrugged.

"You're friends with him, and that's cool with me. I know that you want to be positive as far as he goes, but he's friends with you, not me."

"He might surprise you Lils."

"It's take a miracle for him to trust me. I'll just wait until I have some concrete evidence."

"Your choice, but they deserve to know."

"They will. Now go shower, you stink," she told him with a wink before walking away.

--

Great hall:

Breakfast:

"Good morning `ole chap," she teased as she walked up to him.

"That is not funny," Carter pouted.

"Oh, I beg to differ."

"It is not fair! Bloody wanker, how could he say that? I mean seriously, why did the little kid call me an old man? - Oh Merlin! Am I one of those weird people? You know, those victims of premature aging?!"

She just laughed, "I don't think it's possible to be vainer than that. Now how about you tell me why you are here so early?"

"They always run out of chocolate chip pancakes by the time I get here. This is me rectifying that dilemma."

"How logical of you. Are you sick Carty-Poo? That actually sounded smart, something must be wrong with you," she teased him as she took a bite from his pancakes.

"Oy! Those are mine; get your fingers away from them! As for the other comment: shut up. You are always so cruel to me."

"I love you too."

"Hey isn't that your owl?" Carter asked while pointing to a rather uncoordinated owl that soon made contact with their table… sadly it was head first.

"Yep, that is definitely Posty."

"I cannot believe that you named him Posty."

"Well he carries the post, so the name suits him well."

"You're an idiot."

"This is coming from the boy that thinks he is a victim of premature aging," she told him as she gave her owl some food before taking the note that was attached to his leg.

--

Why didn't you tell me that your cousin was associated with a werewolf? You were aware of the fact, but failed to mention it. Care to explain?

Lillian, your are a smart girl, there is no denying that fact, but don't be too presumptuous as to your powers, I will not accept such insolence. Be sure to remember that fact.

-your father

--

"How does he know that Remus is a werewolf?" Lily asked herself. "Only three people other then me know… Peter! He is the only one that could have told them."

She quickly got up and kissed Carter on the cheek as she said a quick good bye and ran towards the Gryffindor dormitories, all the while ignoring Carter's calls.

--

7th year boy's dormitories:

As she walked into the boy's dormitories James had just walked out of the shower and only had a towel on.

"Oy!" he yelled, while making sure that the towel was in place.

"Relax, you don't have anything that I haven't seen before," literally, she added to herself, while James just blushed at the memories.

Lily just turned to Peter, "Peter, just the boy I was looking for. How are you?"

Peter looked petrified, obviously shocked by the amount of attention that he was receiving, "I am fine, you?"

"I have to be honest, not so good. Actually I have a question for you."

"Um, okay?"

"Could you quit interrogating him? You are scaring him!"

"Oh Sirius, how nice of you to join us. Actually you might want to listen to this." At that comment she received very confused looks from everyone in the dormitory. "Just don't interrupt the conversation again," at those words she redirected her attention to Peter. "Now Peter, I have to admit, I am a bit confused. I feel as though I have met you before, have I?"

"No," said the wide eyed boy in a pitiful voice.

"Really, but I could swear that I had met you before I came here."

"Oh, well maybe you saw me at a party."

"No, I am pretty sure that the parties that I go to aren't your scene care to try again?"

"Peter," Remus said, "what is she getting at?"

"Very good question Remus. Would you like to answer his question Peter, or should I?"

-->