Unofficial Portkey Archive

Tears from the moon by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Tears from the moon

leedee

Chapter Three

It was Saturday afternoon, today she would meet Harry again for the first time in two years. Ginny had sent her a message the previous day. The Weasley's would throw a welcome-home dinner for Harry at The Burrow.

It had all happened so fast and Hermione didn't know how she felt about it. She was very happy that Harry was returning, but it still felt weird. She hadn't seen his face, heard his voice or been able to touch him for two whole years. Hermione walked over to her mirror.

Do I look any different? My hair is a bit longer but that's all. I wonder what Harry will look like, what will two years of intense Auror training do to a person? she thought.

She wore grey slacks and a white knitted sweater. She got ready an hour before she had to be there. She tried reading a book in her living room but it was impossible to concentrate.

"For Gods sake!" She threw the book on the table and started pacing.

Before she knew it she was on her way to The Burrow. She arrived at the well known and much loved home of the Weasleys.

As she entered, the smell of Mrs. Weasleys lovely home cooked meal greeted her.

"Hermione!" Molly Weasley shrieked, she grabbed Hermione and gave her a tight hug.

"Hi Mrs. Weasley," Hermione mumbled into Mrs. Weasley hair.

"Ginny's upstairs dear, why don't you go up."

Hermione trotted up the stairs and found Ginny in front of her mirror. She had different garments floating around the room.

"I just don't know what to wear, I have to look perfect!" Ginny exclaimed.

Hermione's heart sank slightly, of course Ginny would want to look pretty for Harry. Everyone knew that she had been waiting for him for two years. She had, as Hermione, been on a few dates but it had led to nothing.

"You look very pretty Ginny," Hermione assured and looked at one of the dresses that had almost hit her on the head.

"Pretty just isn't enough, I want to be perfect!"

They heard someone walking up the stairs and both of them stopped breathing.

"Hello ladies," Ron said as he entered.

"Just you!" Ginny scowled.

"Thanks," Ron grumped and gave Hermione a kiss on the cheek.

"Was it okay with your coach that you came here and missed the game?" Hermione asked.

"Not at first, but when I told him who was coming for dinner he eagerly obliged. Had to promise to bring Harry to a few games though."

"He'll love that," Hermione promised.

"We don't know that, he might have changed a lot." Ron looked worried.

"Ron I doubt they have changed his personality." Hermione smile encouragingly at him.

"As long as he likes red hairs I don't really care," Ginny added.

Ron made a face as if he was going to be sick. Hermione joined Ron back downstairs and he gave her a butterbeer.

They sat in silence for a while, watching Mrs. Weasley run around the kitchen. She had forbidden them to help, Hermione suspected she was afraid Ron would eat too much of the food if he was close to it. Fred and George were deep in conversation with their father and older brother Bill.

Ron leaned closer to Hermione so no one would hear.

"Are you a bit nervous too?" he asked.

She looked into his eyes and nodded earnestly

Ginny came down the stairs in a dress that looked very cold for winter.

"Oh lala," Fleur shrieked and Ginny smiled contently.

Mrs. Weasley peeked out from the kitchen.

"Ginerva Weasley, you march you behind back upstairs and change immediately. You'll get sick wearing that!"

"No mum, I'm wearing it and you can't tell me what to do!" Ginny answered stubbornly.

"Honestly Ginny, he wont care what you wear," Mrs. Weasley said and Ginny's cheeks turned red.

"What's that supposed to mean?" she shrieked and everyone looked at her.

"Oh dear, I just meant that he'll be happy to see you even if you wear nothing!"

There were loud gasps around the room.

"Oh no!! I didn't mean... I just mean even if you wear my clothes he won't care, he'll just be happy to see you."

"Nice save mum," Fred laughed.

Suddenly there was knock on the door and everyone stared it for a moment before Mr. Weasley went up to open. Everyone stood up and Hermione almost hid behind Ron.

Is it him?

"Harry my boy," Mr.Weasley's voice boomed loudly and he reminded Hermione of Horace Slughorn.

Hermione couldn't see him because all the tall Weasley brothers were in the way. She moved slightly and then saw him.

She felt as if her heart stopped. He looked perfect . His hair had gotten longer; he must have been somewhere warm because he had a tan. He was wearing black slacks and a dark red shirt. Ginny suddenly pushed past Hermione and threw herself around Harry's neck. She jumped so hard on him that he had to take a step back not to loose his balance.

"You look gorgeous!" she exclaimed clearly pleased with Harry's appearance.

"Well thanks Gin," he answered slightly embarrassed.

There's that voice that I've missed everyday for two years!

"And your body is great," she added pinching his stomach. Hermione glowered at Ginny. Fred, George and Bill both shook Harry's hand and told him how happy they were to see him again. Molly hugged Harry so long that Arthur had to help Harry free. As Fleur kissed both Harry's cheeks both Ginny and Hermione glared slightly at her. Left was only Ron and Hermione, and it almost looked as if they were hiding at the back of the room.

"What's with this? Don't I even get a hello?" Harry joked walking towards them.

"Sorry mate, I was just so shocked to see you," Ron admitted while throwing his arms around Harry. Hermione's throat felt dry and her legs felt weak.

Harry walked up to her.

"Hi," she said in a weak voice.

Harry smiled brightly at her and then took her in a loving hug. She closed her eyes and buried her face between his shoulder and his neck. He smelled wonderful, and he felt even better. The hug lasted for only a few moments because soon someone grabbed Harry's arm and pulled him away. Everyone wanted a piece of him, and Ron had found his voice again and was now talking constantly in Harry's ear.

Hermione went into the kitchen.

"May I help you?" she offered.

Mrs. Weasley eyed her examining.

"You certainly may dear, just stir that pot for me." She nodded towards a large pot of stew.

Hermione glanced over her shoulder every now and then. Harry was trying to please everyone, listening to their stories.

"It'll be ok dear," Mrs Weasley spoke silently.

"Sorry?" Hermione looked at the matriarch of the family.

"Everything will go back to normal, you'll see."

She nodded kindly at Hermione.

"Dinner!" she yelled out and people quickly gathered around the table. Ginny and Ron both took seats next to Harry whilst Hermione sat down across from him. She watched him carefully. It was the same old Harry, but there was something so different about him, he definitely looked much older. She looked at the details of his face, realising that she had missed him even more than she thought. Had he always been this handsome? She looked at his scar, who knew one could miss a small thing like that? She looked at Harry's hands, he was nervously playing with is fork, and Hermione knew he was a bit uncomfortable with all the attention he was getting. She knew him so well, maybe better than anyone.

"So Harry, tell us!" Arthur demanded as he loaded mashed potatoes on his plate.

"Oh where to start," Harry took a sip of pumpkin juice before continuing, "well we didn't find out where we were going until we were actually there. Australia, that's where I've been. But have been in training constantly, didn't have a chance to do practically anything at all."

"Bet there were load of nice birds there," Ron asked and Hermione could have sworn he shot her a sideway glance as he said it.

"Well there were some in the training group, but there's nothing to tell," Harry laughed and shoved some bread into his mouth. "I'll tell you Mrs. Weasley I missed your food more than anything."

Everyone laughed and Mrs. Weasley beamed proudly as she loaded more mash onto Harry's plate.

"Please, tell me what you've been up to. Hermione, are you working at the bookstore?"

"Oh no, I quit that after a year," she answered.

"Why?"

"Well I felt it wasn't right for me. I'm actually in Auror training now."

Harry's eyes widened with excitement.

"Really? That's great. You'll make an excellent Auror. We'll have to talk about that when we're alone. I am so curious about the training here."

She nodded and looked down at her food.

Does he remember that we kissed outside the Three Broomsticks? Maybe he was too drunk. Or maybe he thinks I was and he doesn't want to embarrass me.

The rest around the table started filling him in on their lives. Not that much had happened. Hermione managed to get a few words in here and there but Ron and Ginny talked almost non-stop.

"So where will you be staying now?" Fred asked.

"Well I don't feel like being at Number twelve Grimmauld Place, so I'll be looking for a flat. But I was hoping one of my friends might let me stay over." He looked at Hermione as he said it and she didn't know what to say. Harry had said that he wanted to sleep on her sofa outside the Three Broomsticks. Did he want her to offer?

"You'll stay with us!" Ginny said quickly.

"Yeah sure," Ron agreed.

And it was decided.

-

The afternoon had turned into evening quickly and soon they were all saying their farewells. Ginny looked like she was holding on to Harry's arm for dear life.

"Oh Harry dear, you will come over next weekend again wont you?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

"I'd really like that," he answered sweetly.

He loosened himself from Ginny and walked over to Hermione.

"Are you sure you don't want to come back with us and have some tea or something. We hardly got a chance to talk tonight?" he asked.

"Oh no, you guys go ahead. We'll meet up some other time, it's fine. I better get home and feed Crookshanks anyway."

She looked over Harry's shoulder and saw both Ron and Ginny watching them.

Harry reached out and squeezed her hand quickly.

"All right, but it better be soon," he answered.

-

Hermione pored herself a glass of wine. She felt completely overwhelmed. She sat down on the sofa and put her feet on the table. So he was back. Back in London and back in her life. She wasn't quite sure how she felt about it. Naturally she was happy to have Harry back in London but she didn't know how she felt about all the old emotion blossoming to life again. She had been in love with Harry since the war, at least that was when she realized she was in love with him. She had never denied it to herself after that, these two years she had tried to put it behind her. But obviously her attempts weren't working.

She heard someone at the door and was slightly surprised. She opened it and peaked curiously through the small crack.

"Harry!" she exclaimed and let the door open completely.

"Hey," he answered and smiled at her. "Ginny and Ron have already gone to bed and I'm not quite on the same schedule just yet, so I thought I'd see if you were awake."

"Oh," she couldn't get anything smarter out.

"Well, are you going to let me in?" he laughed.

"Oh sorry," she stepped out of the way and let him in.

He looked around.

"Huge place you have here."

"I know, it's a hole. But I can't afford anything else while I'm in training."

"That was great for me, we were allowed to stay at the camp where training was. So didn't cost much."

He walked into to Hermione's bedroom.

"Wow, so now you finally know what it's like to sleep in a cupboard huh?" he joked and she smiled at him.

The room was so small that when they stood next to each other their arms touched and Hermione could feel his heat throw his shirt. Or maybe she was just imagining it…

"Do you want a glass of wine"?" she asked carefully.

"Since when do you drink wine?"

"Some things have actually changed these two years you know."

They walked together into the kitchen and Hermione poured him a glass.

Hermione sat back on the sofa and pulled a blanket over her. She felt slightly nervous as Harry sat down next to her instead of on the armchair.

"So tell me, what else have I missed while I was away?"

"Well you heard most of it tonight at dinner."

"I'm sure there is something else. Are you seeing anyone?"

"Kind of, but it isn't working."

Hermione avoided his eyes.

"Did you miss us?" she blurted out.

Harry laughed a bit at her and then gave her an intense look.

"You know I did, I thought about you everyday."

"And I- I mean we, thought about you to everyday!"

They were silent for a moment looking at each other.

"So what about you and Ron, did anything happen there?"

"No it didn't. He wanted to try, but I don't feel like that about him. It's been sort of a rocky road actually…"

"What do you mean?" he put his arm on the headrest and his hand was just next to Hermione's face.

"Oh it's nothing. Forget it."

Hermione felt odd discussing her love life with Harry like this. They never talked like that before, and talking about Ron when he wasn't present just didn't feel quite right.

There was a loud knock on the door and Hermione said:


"That's Ron."

"How do you know?"

"I know his knock by now."

She yelled for him to enter and he did.

"I came out talk to you and you were gone," he sounded almost accusing.

"Yeah, couldn't sleep so I went for a walk," Harry answered.

"And ended up here?"

"Yup, why don't you join us for a glass of wine?" Harry suggested.

"Wouldn't want to intrude…" Ron answered sulkily.

"Don't be silly Ronald, you know where the glasses are."

Ron walked over to the kitchen counter and grabbed a glass.

"So you are here often then?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, usually spend the night here a couple of nights a week," Ron answered quickly before sitting down on the armchair.

"Yes after he's been at the pub and is too lazy to go home. He sleeps on the sofa," Hermione quickly added. Harry looked between the two, the tension was obvious but he didn't want to get into it.

They had quite the nice evening and stayed up late into the night talking old memories and catching up. It was starting to feel like the good old times.

Hermione walked them to the door as they were leaving. Ron put his arm around her shoulders and forced her into a tight hug. Then he planted a wet kiss on her cheek.

Hermione glanced embarrassed over at Harry but he just rolled his eyes and smiled. Ron had had more wine then the two of them. Ron finally let her go and stepped outside.

"So we'll see you soon?" Harry assured.

"Of course," she promised and smiled.

-->