Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Grand Adventure by Searcy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Grand Adventure

Searcy

A Grand Adventure

Boyfriends and Birthdays

Hermione was in the kitchen with her mother putting the finishing touches on the Sunday roast. True to her word Emma had risen early and set to work on a spectacular dinner that compared with anything Molly Weasley had ever set before her brood. Emma had pulled out all the stops surprising Jonathan, Hermione and Harry with her menu of roast pork served with crackling, sage and onion stuffing with apple sauce and English mustard, steamed cabbage, mashed potatoes, parsnips and carrots and an apple blackberry crumble for dessert. As Emma put the finishing touches on the crumble and Hermione set the table, two shouts, "Bloody good save" and "Yes" drifted into the kitchen from the lounge. Hermione looked at her mother and with a smile said.

"It looks like daddy has found a replacement to watch football with him."

Emma nodded.

"Yes it looks as if he has…too bad Harry can't stay permanently."

Hermione feigned shock.

"Mum…I thought you loved watching football with daddy!"

Emma shook her head and handed the bowl of mash to Hermione to place on the table and replied.

"I love your father the football I put up with."

Hermione erupted into giggles.

"Oh you find that funny do you; well you'll learn soon enough how much compromise goes into a relationship. Just wait until you and Harry get back to school and the two of you have it on about his going to his Queerdutch matches then you'll understand all about compromise."

Hermione replied cautiously as she placed the steamed cabbage on the table.

"Mum it's pronounced Quidditch and why would Harry and I need to compromise about that?"

Emma quirked an eyebrow then answered saying.

"Hermione you can't honestly think that the change in your and Harry's relationship is some sort of secret."

Hermione flushed scarlet and dropping into the nearest chair covered her hands with her face and mumbled an unintelligible reply. Emma hastily set down the bowl of parsnips and carrots on the table and dropped into the chair beside her daughter and placing an arm around her shoulder said.

"Oh sweetie it can't be that awful your parents knowing you have a boyfriend."

Hermione removed her hands from her face and looking up said.

"Boyfriend…right…you and daddy know…"

Emma interjected.

"I admit that your father's having a bit of trouble getting used to the fact that he won't be the only male in your life but he's making an effort to be reasonable."

Emma paused and inclining her head in the direction of the lounge and added.

"I think they've made a grand start at bonding as it were."

Emma smiled encouragingly at her daughter. Having regained a modicum of her composure Hermione returned her mother's smile reservedly as she asked.

"So you're really alright with Harry and I dating."

Emma's smile widened.

"The reality of the situation is that you are quite grown up. You're not our little poppet anymore and part of that growing up is dating. We've talked about it and both your father and I trust your judgment immensely…"

Hermione eyed her mother skeptically at the utterance of her last statement but held her tongue as she continued. Seeing the look her daughter gave her Emma patted Hermione's hand and appended with.

"You're a bright, strong, capable, thoughtful young woman; the kind of girl that any mother would be proud of so yes we really do trust you to do the right thing. And as to you and Harry…I think you're rather well suited to each other. It's obvious he thinks the world of you and you him. All in all I think the two of you are quite cute together."

Hermione smiled in earnest. After a second she asked another question.

"And daddy really feels the same way?"

Emma chuckled.

"Your father is…trying…he's really trying."

Mother and daughter erupted into giggles. Just then the oven timer sounded and Emma stood up and went to take the crumble from the oven. Once that was done Emma and Hermione finished setting the table and called Harry and Jonathan in and the four settled in for a leisurely meal. Following dinner Jonathan and Harry headed down to the pub to as Jonathan put it "afford Harry the opportunity to watch a football match in a proper manly environment". While the gents went off to enjoy their football match Emma and Hermione each settled into a corner of the couch with a book, a cup of tea and a heaping bowl of crumble. It was in this position that Hermione was found by her father and Harry when they returned from their jaunt to the pub just after eleven.

"Poppet where's your mum?"

Jonathan queried his daughter as he leaned down and placed a kiss to her forehead. Hermione marked her page and closing her book answered.

"Turned in early…she said something about tomorrow being rather hectic."

Jonathan nodded.

"Too right she is…we're scheduled to due the monthly invoices tomorrow."

With a shake of his head Jonathan added.

"Well I reckon I'll call it a night then…see you two in the morning."

Harry and Hermione said their good nights and Jonathan headed upstairs to bed. Hermione was the first to speak.

"So how was the pub?"

Harry smiled as he responded.

"It was really a lot of fun. Your dad's a lot different than I thought he'd be…he's got a right wicked sense of humor and he knows an awful lot about ale."

"Ale…you and my father have been drinking?"

"Just a little…two ales and a shandy. He made me promise not to tell your mum though, said she'd do her nut if she found out."

Hermione chuckled lightly.

"He's right about that; mum wouldn't be too pleased if she found out dad had been letting you drink but seeing as how you didn't come home pissed out of your mind I suppose is alright."

The two shared a laugh after which Hermione asked.

"So Mr. Potter now that you've had your boys' night out I suppose you'll have to cross that off your list of birthday celebration alternatives…"

Harry interjected.

"Birthday celebration alternatives?"

Hermione nodded.

"Yes birthday celebrations…you've a birthday this week and you can hardly expect that I'd let it pass unacknowledged."

Harry shrugged.

"Its no big deal really, it's enough that you remember it at all."

Hermione tossed her book aside and said.

"Well I do happen to think it's a big deal and I have every intention of celebrating it so I suggest you think about what it is you'd like to do that day."

Harry eyed Hermione appraisingly and replied.

"I can think of one thing I'd like for my birthday."

Hermione raised an eyebrow and asked.

"And what would that be?"

Harry grinned impishly and reaching out he pulled Hermione into his arms and said.

"Let me show you."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jonathan Granger came downstairs on Thursday morning to find the kitchen counter laden down with bacon, eggs, waffles, fresh fruit, coffee, tea and fresh squeezed orange juice. At the end of the counter sat two owls and a small pile of packages. Emma was taking plates down from the cabinet. Jonathan dropped an envelope onto the pile then turning to pour himself a cup of coffee called to his wife.

"Emma Granger's famous birthday breakfast and a pile of gifts …seems someone is rather fond of Harry."

Emma quirked an eyebrow at her husband as she replied.

"Yes I am very fond of Harry, he's a lovely young man and he deserves to have at least one decent birthday. Though judging from that envelope I'm not the only one who's fond of him."

Jonathan shrugged his shoulders and feigned innocence.

"What…the boy's shown an interest in football I just though he might enjoy seeing Chelsea take on Fulham Saturday next."

Emma shook her head.

"Honestly Jonathan would it kill you to admit that you like your daughter's boyfriend?"

Jonathan winced.

"I'm a father of course it would kill me to admit to liking my daughter's boyfriend but seeing as Harry isn't Hermione's boyfriend you don't have to worry about my imminent demise."

Emma smiled as she sipped at her tea and answered back with.

"Well seeing that Hermione has admitted to me that she and Harry are a couple I suppose you'll be kicking the bucket soon so I reckon I'll sell the practice and go on permanent holiday to the south of France."

"Bloody hell woman can't you even mourn me for fifteen minutes!"

Emma never responded to Jonathan's query because at that moment Hermione came bounding down the stairs holding Harry's birthday present. Hermione placed her gift on the pile.

"Breakfast looks wonderful mum."

Emma smiled at her daughter's compliment.

"Thank you sweetheart, I just hope Harry enjoys it."

No sooner than the words were out of Emma's mouth the Grangers caught the sound of Harry's footfalls on the stairs. Hastily the family crowded around the end of the kitchen counter behind Harry's pile of gifts and waited for him to turn the corner. As Harry rounded the corner and stepped into the kitchen he was greeted with a chorus of `Happy Birthday Harry' from Hermione and her parents. Surprised by the kind gesture Harry was almost too stunned to speak. Quickly recovering himself he managed to say thank you. Before he had a chance to say anything else Harry'd been ushered onto the stool at the end of the counter by Jonathan and Emma had placed a dish loaded with piping hot waffles eggs and bacon along with a bowl of fresh fruit before him.

"Go on dear, tuck in before everything gets cold."

Harry needed no other encouragement than Emma's warm smile and admonition. As he set about sampling the excellent breakfast before him Emma dished up servings for everyone and the entire lot sat down to a hearty breakfast. During the meal Harry opened his small pile of presents; there was the usual bag of jokes from the twins, a Chudley Canons pin from Ron and a new pair of seekers gloves from Arthur and Molly, Hagrid had sent two huge bars of Honeydukes best chocolate, there were the football tickets from Jonathan and from Emma there was a book entitled The Complete History of the European Quidditch League. The final gift was from Hermione was a camera. She knew how few mementoes Harry had of those closest to him and so she thought this was the perfect way to prevent such an event in future.

Following breakfast Emma and Jonathan headed to the office and Hermione cleared away the dishes. Harry who was barred from doing any chores as it was his birthday went into the lounge to pen two quick thank you notes to Hagrid and the Weasleys for their gifts. The letters were a bit longer than Harry'd originally intended but as he hadn't written to them over the course of the summer he thought he ought to at the very least let his friends know how he was getting on. Harry had just finished sending his letters off with the newly rested owls when Hermione called from upstairs.

"Harry could you come upstairs for a moment, I need your help with something!"

"Sure, be right up!"

Harry secured the window and hurried upstairs to assist Hermione. As he opened the door and entered her room Harry stopped death in his tracks, his mouth dropped open and his eyes doubled in size at the sight of Hermione perched on her bed in lacy black bra and knickers with matching black stilettos. Hermione smiled at Harry's shocked expression and holding up the camera she'd given him for his birthday said.

"I thought maybe we could try out your new camera."

Harry returned the smile as he stepped across the room and plucked the camera from Hermione hand.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An hour later Harry and Hermione lay tangled together slightly out of breath from their morning activities. Hermione reached down and picked up the camera that had fallen to her side and thought aloud.

"I suppose these photos will have to keep for a bit."

Harry replied sleepily.

"Just until we get back to Hogwarts and I get with Colin about developing them."

Hermione rolled over and laying her head on Harry's chest and asked.

"Colin?"

Harry nodded.

"Yep I want to know the specific solution he uses to develop his photos the wizarding way; something tells me these photos will be so much more interesting in live action."

Hermione shook her head and for the second time in five minutes she thought aloud.

"What on earth am I going to do with you Harry James Potter?"

Harry grinned as he pulled Hermione into his arms and answered her question with a kiss.

-->