Unofficial Portkey Archive

Buttercup by MemoriesFade
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Buttercup

MemoriesFade

"I ran some tests and I think you'll need to stay for a few more days."

Ginny stared at Hermione as if she'd grown three heads. "Stay a few more days? I can't. I'd rather suffer from whatever ailment I get. What am I going to do about the bakery? As much as I love the fact that the boys, Pansy, and Angelina are down there now, they can't stay there for a few more days. Charlie has the dragons. Bill has to get back to Gringotts. Ron and Harry are Aurors. Angelina can't leave Fred with Fleur forever. And Draco, well, I'm still skeptical about whether or not he does anything at the bakery to begin with."

"That's the thanks I get for doing manual labor?"

"You really shouldn't sneak in here like that," Ginny said, staring at Draco. "And I am thankful, very thankful. I'm so thankful that I've pretty much forgiven you for your words, partly because Blaise told me you had been drinking before the event."

Hermione clucked her tongue. "Men, I never understand why you have to drink before you go out. Why can't you drink while you're out? Isn't that why you go out?"

"Society ladies do not appreciate it when anyone drinks over three glasses of a beverage," Draco commented. "I would rather go through the night on a high than go through the night sober."

"While drinking does not excuse you for everything, it certainly is a reason for me to let things go," Ginny said. She turned to Hermione. "Could you give us a few minutes? Then we can talk about me not staying here much longer."

"Ginny," Hermione said with a scowl. "I can't believe you would want to jeopardize your health."

"I have to get back to the bakery," Ginny insisted. "Who knows what might happen if I don't? They would probably blow up my kitchen, especially with George in there. He might mistake my custard cream for his canary cream and turn my customers into canaries."

Hermione looked as if she were ready to argue. But Ginny gave her a look that clearly said she did not want to discuss this in front of Draco. So, Hermione excused herself, promising to keep away any visitors until they were finished. Ginny shot her a look of thanks before motioning for her to close the door. As soon as it shut, silence overcame the two, eerily similar to when Ginny had taken him to lunch upon finding out about Serena.

Ginny sighed and said, "I suppose I'll start."

"You're the one who asked Gra-We-Hermione to leave," Draco pointed out, frustration in his voice as he called Hermione by her first name. "I was content with her staying here."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "I'm sure you were. Where's Serena?"

"Father took her out shopping," Draco said offhandedly. "She's been bothering him about going shopping for ages. And this morning, when we stopped by the Manor for breakfast, she refused to leave the doorway to his study until he agreed to take her shopping."

"She really is a very devious child," Ginny remarked. She then narrowed her eyes in Draco's direction. "If you didn't come here with Serena and you didn't want to talk, then why are you here?"

Draco shifted around in the seat he had taken beside her bed. "Can't I come and visit the mother of my child without her being suspicious?"

Ginny snorted. "No."

"I'm wounded," he drawled.

"Oh fine, keep your secrets for now," Ginny huffed. "We still need to talk about what happened. I don't like the fact that it's been hanging around us for the past two days like a bloody rain cloud."

"Talk away." Draco motioned for her to continue.

"I was-am hurt by what you said." Ginny had a pained expression on her face as if admitting it was physically painful. "I don't know if you know it or not, and I think you do, but what you said has been my biggest insecurity. Every day that goes by, every moment, in which I mess up with Serena, I wonder if perhaps I would have been better off staying out of her life."

"I've never pegged you for the selfish type," he said lightly.

Ginny glared. "Excuse me?"

He sat up, resting his elbows on his knees, his head bowed. "What I said was wrong. I will be the first to admit it. I was aware of what I was saying because at that point I had sobered. I am sorry for what I said."

Ginny sat there in shock.

He looked up, eyeing her facial expression with disdain. "What?"

"Sorry," she said with a shrug, the look of surprise still on her face. "I just didn't think I would get an apology out of you."

"I'm not a bastard," he said. He paused before saying, "I may have been that night. But I tend to not be a cruel insensitive prat on most days."

"I'll remember that," Ginny replied. "But please get to the part where I'm selfish. I mean is this how you Malfoys apologize? You throw in an insult and then say you're sorry."

"Malfoys don't apologize," he said. "And you are selfish. Serena thinks the world of you. She loves you as if you've been with her your whole life. You would be blind not to see it. And as much as it irks me to say it, I don't want you to leave because it makes her so happy."

"Aw, that's sweet." Ginny smiled. "You want me in your life?"

"No, I want you in Serena's life," he said. "Don't get them confused."

Ginny scowled before uncertainty crossed her features. "I've been thinking that maybe we should start over, a clean slate so to speak. We should forget all the mishaps in the past and move on. Dwelling on harsh words we exchanged is helping no one."

"You might want to inform your brothers of your decision." He looked decidedly uncomfortable. "Weasley, Ron that is, has already broken my nose. I don't need any more broken body parts."

Ginny smiled. "Remind me to thank him."

"Bloody Weasleys," Draco muttered.

"Now, are you going to tell me why you were here?"

"To talk," he said.

"But you just said," Ginny began but closed her mouth immediately. "Forget it. I don't want to know. I have more things to worry about like getting out of here."

Draco hesitated before saying, "I can help."

Ginny snorted. "Are you going to sneak me out of here in your pocket?"

"I doubt you could fit," he said, smirking. "I was talking about your bakery."

"Somehow I can't see you running my bakery for however long it takes for me to get out of here." Ginny crossed her arms, the ceiling attracting her gaze. "It's alright. I can figure it out on my own."

"I wasn't volunteering myself," he snapped. "I was offering some of my house elves. I have more than enough to spare."

"Oh," Ginny said.

"It'll just be for your hospital stay," he said. "Of course, you could keep them if you'd like. They're very good at baking and cleaning."

"I pride myself on making my own treats," Ginny said. "What's the point of having the bakery if house elves make the goodies?"

"It's just for a few days, Ginny," Hermione yelled from outside the door.

"Hermione," Ginny shouted. "Why are you eavesdropping?"

Hermione opened the door, her head poking out from behind it. "It's not my fault that you people aren't quieter. I'm standing right outside the door. I can hear everything you're saying."

All of a sudden, Hermione was shoved inside, Luna stepping into the room. "I was eavesdropping. And I agree with Draco and Hermione. She says that there is still residual magic in your system. It could cause complications and make you sick. A few days isn't going to hurt."

Ginny sighed. "I'm not going to win this one am I?"

"No, you're not." Pansy strolled in, shades and coat in hand. "I'll even stay and work behind the register. I kind of like having something to do during the day other from shopping."

"I never thought the day would come where Pansy Parkinson volunteered to do work," Luna said. "Then again, I never thought the day would come where you would date a Weasley."

"Times change," Pansy said with a smirk. "I mean who would have thought that Draco would have shagged and procreated with a Weasley?"

"Yes because we're not sitting right here," Ginny said, shooting a glare at Pansy.

"Now that everything's settled," Draco said, getting up, "I will be on my way. I can send a few house elves over in an hour or two."

"Draco, Blaise will be arriving at the Manor in a few minutes," Luna said. "He's been acting strangely these last two days. I was wondering if you knew why."

"Nothing to worry about," Draco said cryptically.

"What are the two of you up to?" asked Luna.

"Ginny, would you mind keeping Serena for a few hours?"

"She can stay as long as she'd like," Ginny said. "I like having her here. Makes it seem like I'm not in a bloody hospital bed."

"Father will drop her off then," Draco said. He went to the door, saying, "Good day, ladies."

As he shut the door, Pansy said, "There is something going on."

"I've long since given up on figuring out what." Luna wrinkled her brow. "It's big though because Blaise has been communicating with Theo an awful lot. And he's just started over the past two days. And he comes home late. He never comes home late."

"Theodore and Draco are very good friends," Pansy said, her eyes fixed on the door the Draco just left through. "If Blaise and Theo are communicating, and Blaise is meeting with Draco at eleven in the morning on a business day, then something is being planned."

A knock on the door had all the ladies calling, "Come in."

"Oh, hello, Lucius," Luna said. "And is that Serena? I feel as if I haven't seen you in ages."

"Don't be silly, Aunt Luna," Serena said. "You saw me just yesterday."

The little girl, hair bouncing around her face, ran up to the bed, her green dress swirling around her as she did. She climbed up onto her mother's bed, moving to sit parallel to Ginny, her favorite spot. She deemed it the best spot on the bed as it was the closest to her Mum and she could share a pillow with Ginny.

Lucius stood in the doorway, schooling his features to not show shock at Serena's behavior. He made his greetings before saying, "It is wonderful to see you healthy, Ms. Weasley."

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy." Ginny beamed at him. "And thank you for dropping off Serena."

"It isn't a problem," Lucius replied.

Serena bounced on the bed happily. "Grandfather got you a present."

Ginny raised an eyebrow. "Is that so? Well, that was awfully thoughtful of you, Mr. Malfoy."

Lucius withdrew a small package from his pocket. The package was wrapped in plain brown paper, nothing fancy. Ginny was curious as to what the package could hold. So much so that she ripped into it as soon as Lucius placed it on her lap. She couldn't believe that Lucius Malfoy had gotten her a present. And as she untied the wrapping, she discovered a small black velvet box.

"I do hope you aren't proposing," Ginny joked.

"I don't think my wife would take kindly to that," Lucius replied.

Ginny laughed. "No, I don't think she would."

"Open it," Lucius encouraged. "I didn't peg you for the type to want me to buy you a large diamond as your get well gift. So, I settled for something that would more suit your tastes."

Ginny opened the box, gasping along with Pansy, Luna, and Hermione, all of whom had moved to get a look at the gift. "It's beautiful. Though, I'm shocked you pegged me for the pearl type."

"Do you not like it?"

"No, I love it," Ginny said hurriedly. "I just don't think you should spend so much on a get well gift for me. I mean I appreciate it but this must have cost many Galleons."

"Nothing you need worry about," Lucius said.

Ginny stared down at the ring, awed by its beauty. It wasn't simple by any standards; yet, it was the type of ring that could be worn on a spring day without looking like a gaudy chunk of jewelry. It was a white gold ring shaped as a very large flower. And nestled in the centre was a beautiful pearl, the petals of the flower framing it. It was quite exquisite.

"It's marvelous," Ginny said, smiling at Lucius. "Thank you."

"Narcissa has always said I have a knack for choosing the perfect jewelry," Lucius stated. "It is the reason why I always buy jewelry as my presents."

"In that case, my birthday is in a few months," Ginny said, laughing.

"I'll try my best to remember," he said.

"Try it on, Mum," Serena urged. She was bouncing on the bed, a gleeful smile on her face. She was extremely happy to see Lucius and Ginny getting along as it was a step in the right direction for her. "I want to see it on your finger."

Ginny slipped the ring on her finger, not surprised by the fact that the flower covered two of her fingers. "Now I must find somewhere to go show off this beautiful piece of art."

"That reminds me," Pansy said. "I have your mail, including several invitations to social events."

"Here I thought my rude disappearance from the last ball would deter those women from putting me on their invitation list," Ginny said.

"Well, I will take leave now," Lucius said. "Draco insisted that I be present at the Manor by half past eleven."

"Did he?" asked Luna. "And do you know why?"

Lucius smirked. "Mrs. Zabini, I do not reveal the secret of a man's meeting at the Manor."

"So, there is something to be secretive about," Pansy said. "That must mean that none of us present here would take a liking to what is happening at your meeting."

Lucius inclined his head. "Get well soon, Ms. Weasley. Narcissa is dying to have you over for tea. I daresay she will probably stop by sometime soon. Have a good day, ladies."

Before anyone could utter a word, Lucius Malfoy had disappeared through the door, closing it behind him. Luna and Pansy took to the side of the room to discuss the possibilities of what they were meeting about. While Ginny, Hermione, and Serena observed the large pearl ring on Ginny's finger, admiring its beauty and the fact that Lucius Malfoy had gotten it for her.

"Bloody hell, what could they be meeting about?" asked Pansy.

A knock sounded on the door and Luna grumbled, "Enter."

Charlie poked his head in. "Is this a bad time?"

Ginny removed the ring, placing it back in the box. "Not at all, come on in, Charlie."

"I'm only stopping by briefly," Charlie said. "I have a meeting to attend."

"I didn't know you had a meeting today," Hermione said. "Is it about the baby dragon you received?"

"It's not about the reserve," Charlie said.

Luna glared. "Are you going to the Manor too?"

"Is this some type of boys only meeting?" Pansy crossed her arms. "I'm highly offended."

"I just came to say we had to close the bakery today, Ginny," Charlie said, clearing his throat. "With that said, I will be off."

Charlie ran out the door, ignoring Hermione's cry of, "Charlie Weasley!"

"I'm guessing my brothers are going as well," Ginny said. She wrapped an arm around Serena's shoulder. "What might they be doing?"

"It involves Ginny, obviously," Pansy said.

"But then why would they ask Theo to come?" Luna sank down in one of the visitor's chairs. "He hasn't even met Ginny yet."

"Unless-"

"Tracey Davis," the girls said in unison.

~~~~~~~~

"As a warning, the girls are suspicious," Charlie said.

"They do have many questions, Draco." Lucius gave Draco a pointed look. "Do you think it wise to keep them out of the loop?"

"I agree with, Malfoy-junior," Ron said. "It's best if they don't know anything. They tend to get worked up."

If anyone looked inside the spring sitting room of Malfoy Manor, they would think it peculiar to see the odd group assembled. Weasleys and Harry Potter simply did not associate with Slytherins, especially not Malfoys. But there they were four Weasley men, one Potter, two Malfoys, a Zabini, and a Nott, gathering together for one cause.

"Percy will not be informed either," Bill said, giving his brothers a warning look. "We do not need his interference."

"Now that we have that covered," Draco drawled. "Let's get down to business, gentlemen."

"This will be handled the Slytherin way," Blaise said, smirking. "I advise you Gryffindors to put your tendency to do all things good aside for our mission."

"I feel as if I've stepped into the dark side," Harry muttered.

Draco ignored him. "Theo is a good friend of mine, who excels in the field of tracking and gathering information. Yet, he still hasn't managed to track down Tracey Davis, which means one thing."

"She's more slippery than we thought," Blaise said.

"No, Zabini." Draco swirled his Firewhisky in his glass. "It means that this wasn't just some foolish act of passion. She didn't happen upon Ginny walking through the streets in the middle of the night. She was tracking Ginny."

"I managed to get a hands on Weasl-Ginevra's files," Theo said. "The residual magic, which I think the Healer is trying to remove, is magic commonly associated with a blood tracking spell."

"How could she have gotten blood from Ginny?" Bill raised an eyebrow. "I think Ginny would have known."

"And how did you get a hand on her files?" asked Charlie.

Theo smirked. "The same way I know that your wife is pregnant. Congratulations by the way. It's also how I know about what your parents did to your sister. It is how I know that Potter here takes his tea with no sugar and a dash of milk. I am good at gathering information."

"That's not creepy at all," George muttered.

"Shall we move on, gentlemen?" Lucius was highly amused by Theo's show.

"She didn't need Ginny's blood," Draco said. "She took Serena's. Serena got a cut on her knee a week ago. I hadn't warned the house elves not to let her in yet. And they said that she came in and took the cotton swab which they used on Serena's cut."

"How could she have known Serena cut her knee?" asked George.

"We were at practice when it happened," Draco said. "I believe she may have been following me."

"Well, isn't this bloody brilliant," Ron said with a snort. "We've got a psychopath out to get my sister."

"That would mean the tracking spell is on you and Serena as well," George pointed out.

"Taken care of," Draco murmured.

"If this is truly a case of a psychopath on the loose," Harry said, "Ginny will need protection."

"Done," Lucius said. "She's had protection since the day she landed in the hospital."

Ron shifted in his seat. "I suppose they've been told to stay hidden."

"Yes," Draco said. "Since Serena likes to spend her days with Ginny at the hospital, I needed to make sure she was kept safe."

"In that case, I will be putting two Aurors on guard detail," Ron said. The Malfoys looked ready to protest. "She's less likely to try and make a move with two Aurors standing guard. And if she does, well she'll get a nice surprise from your guards while distracted by mine. No one loses in that situation."

Draco still didn't seem to like the idea. But he didn't say anything back. This spurred on a lengthy discussion of which Aurors would be right for the job. In the end, they decided to choose someone who Ginny would be comfortable around in order to lessen the blow that she would need a security detail. At last, Harry suggested Seamus Finnegan and Dean Thomas. However, the latter caused quite a fuss.

"Do you honestly think Ginny is going to want Dean eyeing her every move?" Ron leaned back in his chair. "She'd most likely hex him."

"She dated him in her Hogwart's days," Harry said. "She's not going to remember any of that stuff."

"No, she cannot have an ex-boyfriend as her guard," Draco said.

Quite a few people, namely Blaise, Lucius, and Theo, were shocked by Draco's outburst as he had been silent for most of the debate, not knowing the Aurors. However, they were quick to cover up their shock as Draco was pointing a heated glare at Harry, who was adamant that Dean would be a fine guard.

"And why not?" asked Harry.

Bill rolled his eyes as the two stared each other down. He had now gathered that Draco Malfoy had something akin to a crush on his baby sister. Though, he wasn't sure if it was lust or something deeper. In his opinion, it was far too early to tell. As for his sister, well, Ginny felt something more for the Slytherin. Bill could easily tell the minute she announced no harm was to come to Draco, much to his brothers' disappointment. But, again, it was too early to tell.

"Is there anyone else?" asked Charlie. "No one seems to want Dean on duty."

"Parvati," Ron said after a moment of quiet contemplation. "Maybe Ginny would be more comfortable with a female guard at times. And it will be easier to maybe have one of them in the room with her."

"That's settled," Charlie said.

"Took a bloody long time too," George said. "I was about to suggest Romilda Vane."

"No," Harry and Draco both shouted.

"She tried the stunt with the love potion and chocolates with you too, Malfoy?" Ron grinned as Draco began to look uncomfortable.

"You shouldn't look so happy, Ron." Bill eyed his brother. "I could have sworn that Harry said you ate the chocolates instead."

"Gentlemen," Lucius warned. "I rather thought we were discussing Ms. Weasley's safety."

"Right," Blaise said. "I was speaking with some of my employees who have been known to hang around Tracey Davis. They said she hasn't been herself for some time, obsessing over Draco. They also said they hadn't seen her since the break up."

"May I make a suggestion?" Lucius smirked. "I think it is time to inform your mother, Draco."

Harry and the Weasleys looked decidedly confused. Finally, George asked, "What good would that do?"

"If there is one thing Tracey holds above all else, it's her image," Blaise said.

Draco's lips curled in a sadistic smirk. "Tracey will come out if her image is being destroyed. She'll want to make amends to her reputation."

"She almost killed someone," Harry said. "Do you really think she's going to latch onto the bait? It would be too risky for her."

"You have no understanding of our social circle," Theo said, speaking up for the first time in over an hour. "Image is everything."

"Funny how your society works," Bill said. "One bad story spun and people are falling all over themselves."

"She'll come out and more than likely go to one of the social events," Blaise said, ignoring Bill's comment. "It will have to be a worthy one, though."

"Father, are you in the mood to plan a ball?" asked Draco.

"Why yes, it is about time we dusted out the ballroom," Lucius drawled. "It will be a night to remember."

"Draco, I do think you will need some appetizing treats and beverages." George had an expression of innocence on his face. "And I have the perfect concoctions in mind. Of course, I will have to add a few subtle changes for our guest of honor. But I daresay she'll love it."

"She messed with the wrong family," Harry muttered, gazing at the devilish grins on everyone in the room.