Unofficial Portkey Archive

Buttercup by MemoriesFade
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Buttercup

MemoriesFade

Disclaimer: I do not own anything in the Harry Potter Universe, nor am I getting paid for it.

A huge thanks to Aerileigh for betaing this chapter for me, even with her busy schedule.

~~~~~~~~

"Ginny, are you in the kitchen?" Pansy put her purse under the counter, looked around the empty bakery, and raised her eyebrow as she saw the new decor. Brown and cream tones surrounded her, even down to the stone fireplace. It was a nice change from the blandness of the old décor.

"Yes," Ginny yelled. "You have to see it."

"I forgot about the renovations," Pansy replied while walking into the kitchen.

"Isn't it great? It's my ideal kitchen." Ginny stood in the center of the kitchen, a pan of unbaked red velvet cake in her hand, flour in her hair, and on her clothes. "I've fallen in love."

The kitchen wasn't a traditional bakery kitchen like the Muggle ones Ginny had observed before starting her own bakery. There were three large, beige brick ovens against the wall. The center of the room had a large island counter, and more counters were against all the walls, except the door that used to be the pantry. It was now a walk-in refrigerator. The floors were mahogany wood and the walls a cream color that matched the countertops and brick ovens. Tall cooling racks were next to the oven, providing an easy resting place when the piping hot baked goods came out. Cabinets above and under the counters held all of Ginny's baking ingredients and supplies. Three six-burner stovetops were spread throughout the room. Indeed, it was an improvement from the last kitchen, which had resembled a badly designed home kitchen rather than a bakery.

"It's great. But let's get to more important stuff." Pansy sat in one of the bar chairs at the island counter that was specifically placed there for her. She usually sat in the kitchen in the mornings and drank tea while Ginny baked. "What happened with you and Draco? When you two came into the kitchen at the Burrow, Draco was glaring at you, but you had a smile on your face. What is going on with your relationship?"

"There isn't a relationship," Ginny said nonchalantly. She put the red velvet cake into the oven and turned around swiftly, her hair slapping her in the face. Grabbing a cookie from the closest cooling rack, she said, "Would you like a cup of tea?"

"No, I don't want tea. What do you mean, `there isn't a relationship?'" asked Pansy, flabbergasted. "I thought you said everything was going well."

"It was. But Serena doesn't want us to date," Ginny said. She grabbed another cookie, and bit into it before beginning to talk again. "Draco said he could stand to lose me, but not Serena. He told me it was over," she said, her tone belying her relaxed attitude.

"He's insane." Pansy shook her head in disbelief. "He can't go on making decisions on his love life because of Serena. She's six. She doesn't know anything about love."

"There wasn't love between us. Like Draco said, there was infatuation and lust, but no love." Ginny shrugged, grabbing another cookie in order to keep herself busy. "There isn't anything I can do to change his mind, and I'm not going to force the situation."

"For Merlin's sake, stop fidgeting," Pansy said with a hint . She was tired of watching Ginny run around like a frightened cat. "Why are you so antsy? You've eaten three cookies in the past two minutes."

"I thought I had something with him, Pansy," Ginny said forlornly while tossing her half eaten cookie into the garbage. "I know Serena should be of utmost importance to me. But she isn't. Why am I thinking of myself before my daughter?"

"You've only known about Serena for about three months, Ginny. The maternal instinct kicks in when they're babies, not when they're six," Pansy said soothingly. "No one can expect that you automatically know what to do."

Ginny nodded grudgingly. "In any case, there will be no relationship with Draco."

Pansy pouted. "I was hoping you two would get married."

"Why is everyone bringing up marriage? Marriage is what got us in this situation in the first place," Ginny said, frustration evident in her voice. "Serena doesn't want us to be in a relationship because she thinks marriages break people apart."

"Is that the reason?" Pansy pointed her wand at the stove, lighting a fire under the teapot. "I was under the impression she wanted you two to date in order to get a new sibling."

"One of her friend's parents is getting a divorce. Her friend said that marriage makes people get divorced." Ginny took out two teacups, and brushed Polly away when the house elf tried to make the tea.

"So, Serena is the reason why you two are no longer together?" asked Pansy curiously.

"Yes," Ginny replied.

"Draco's birthday is today," Pansy said abruptly, watching Ginny closely for a reaction of some sort. "Are you still going to his dinner party?"

"I thought about it." Ginny poured water in the teacup. "I don't think I'm going to go, though."

She had been thinking about Draco all morning, which had led to more baked goods than she'd be able to sell. Instead of thinking about Draco, which would only make her more depressed over the end of their relationship, she had thrown herself into her baking.

"How do you think that will look?" Pansy summoned the sugar as Ginny set a teacup down in front of her. "I'm sure Serena knows you were supposed to be coming."

"You're right." Ginny groaned, her head falling into her hands. "But it's too soon to see him. I don't want to go."

"You don't have a choice," Pansy said. "It's too bad you won't get to wear that outfit you bought. The lingerie set was very nice, too. He would have loved it."

"I don't get the crotch-less panty thing. I mean what is the point of wearing knickers if they don't cover that area?" Ginny hopped up on the counter, their new conversation a relief from the previous one. "The green and silver would have hurt my pride too. It would be going against my Gryffindor essence."

"Well, it's sexy. If it doesn't have a crotch, it provides easy access. You could shag in a bathroom without having to remove your clothes." Pansy grinned. "I have several pairs. I want a pair like yours, though. I like the lace and ruffles."

"It was pretty. I'll have to put it up for a different occasion." Ginny sighed, her legs swinging back and forth. A beat of silence passed before she said, "I miss the sex. Ever since I had sex with him, it's all I can think about. Now, I haven't had sex in almost three weeks. My last memory is servicing him."

"Ginny, would you give him a second chance?" Pansy set her teacup down, idly spinning it on the saucer.

"I think so," Ginny replied without conviction. She stared at Pansy's devilish look. "What are you thinking?"

"I think Draco needs a little persuasion," Pansy said with a smirk. "You'll need that lingerie after all."

~~~~~~~

"Draco, you're home early. I was just seeing to the seating arrangements for your birthday party." Narcissa had a quill in hand, a parchment in the other. "Now, why are you home early?"

"Practice was horrible. I haven't been able to sleep since Saturday. I'm dying, Mother." Draco dragged a hand through his hair. "Serena is killing me."

"Zee," Narcissa called, and a House Elf appeared, taking the parchment and quill she handed it. "Take these and set them in the dining room. Have lunch prepared for Draco and served in the sitting room."

"Mother, I'm fine. Continue what you're doing. I'm going to get some sleep while Serena is with her tutor." Draco kissed her cheek. "I need some."

"Draco, tell me what's going on. What is Serena doing?" Narcissa stopped her son from walking away, concern etched into her face. "Maybe I can help you."

"She doesn't want Ginny and I to be together, so, I ended things," Draco said tiredly. The minute he saw his mother's shocked and angry expression, he knew he had done something wrong.

"You let Serena's behavior make a decision for you? Draco, that is absurd. She is a child." Narcissa was appalled. She thought her son was smarter than that. "I'm never going to get another grandchild. Forget grandchildren. I'll never be able to plan your wedding."

"Mother, I don't see how this concerns you," Draco said tensely.

Narcissa glared at her son. "She's a good woman, Draco. You're going to end up alone for the rest of your life. Will you be able to watch as she dates other men? She'll move on, Draco. And you plan on staying in this one spot with Serena."

"Mother, I don't love her. She can date anyone she wants," Draco snapped.

Narcissa shook her head. "You're going to end up all alone, Draco."

"Funny, she said the same thing," Draco muttered, looking away from his mother.

"Another reason I like her. She's smart." Narcissa patted Draco's shoulder lightly. "Serena would have eventually been ecstatic to know her parents are together. Once she gets out of this mood, she'll feel nothing but guilt. What are you going to do to make Serena feel better? Run back to Ginny? What if she doesn't want you then?"

"If that were to happen, she would come back to me," Draco said arrogantly.

"I raised a fool," Narcissa exclaimed, infuriated. "I'm going to talk to your father. By the way, your father and I are bringing along one of his associate's sons, Isaac Shaw. He is from America, and he is thinking of coming to work for your father, who is doing his best to make that happen."

"My birthday party is now Father's way of doing business," Draco said exasperatedly.

"Be nice to Isaac. We had him over for dinner and he is lovely. Maybe the two of you could be friends. He would be more inclined to stay if he had friends." Narcissa summoned her cloak. "I will see you this evening. I have to go see your father."

"Goodbye, Mother," Draco called before Narcissa Apparated.

Narcissa landed in the lobby of Malfoy Conglomerate, entering the lifts as soon as she did. Lower level employees didn't dare to look her in the eye, the midlevel employees inclined their heads, and the higher level employees said hello. In the Malfoy Conglomerate, Narcissa was seen as the silent partner. She stood behind Lucius, helping him with all his social needs. She hosted the balls, organized the charity funds., and she made sure that no one dared to speak badly of the Malfoy Conglomerate. Though that was the job of their public relations team, Narcissa knew how to wield her social status. She knew how to convince someone with just a look rather than words and money.

Narcissa stepped off the lift onto her husband's floor, turning her nose up at the bouncy secretary who greeted her, "Good afternoon, Mrs. Malfoy. It is lovely to see you."

"Good afternoon, Celia. Is my husband in with anyone?" asked Narcissa. She removed her cloak while walking down the hall, tossing the garment at Celia.

"He is in with Mr. Shaw," Celia said, quickly grabbing Narcissa's cloak before it touched the floor.

"Oh, good, I need to speak with Mr. Shaw," Narcissa said.

"Mr. Malfoy asked not to be interrupted," Celia said hesitantly.

Narcissa shot the secretary a piercing gaze. "The only reason my husband would be unavailable to me is if he is having an affair. Are you trying to imply my husband is having an affair?"

"No, of course not, Mrs. Malfoy," Celia said hurriedly. She gulped. She had only been working at the company for three weeks. She couldn't get fired. "I was only relaying a message."

"You're a nice girl, Celia. But you should have a talk with Bridget, Mr. Malfoy's personal assistant. She'll give you a list of rules to go by when speaking to me," Narcissa said pointedly. "Don't just toss my cloak anywhere. It's worth more than you are."

Celia's lip trembled. "Yes, Mrs. Malfoy."

"Bridget," Narcissa snapped.

A brunette ran from behind a desk in front of Lucius's office. "Mrs. Malfoy, how are you doing?"

"Celia is incompetent," Narcissa stated simply.

"Shall I fire her?" Bridget went back to her desk and removed a parchment from her desk drawer. "I have a list of able secretaries."

"Yes. Make sure you get my cloak first. I wouldn't want her to do anything rash." Narcissa entered Lucius's office. "Hello, Lucius, Mr. Shaw."

"Narcissa, I wasn't expecting you." Lucius stood and greeted his wife with a kiss on the cheek. Mr. Shaw did the same. "Mr. Shaw, you know my wife."

"It's lovely to see you again, Mrs. Malfoy." Isaac Shaw was a fine specimen of a man. He had brown hair that fell into his blue eyes and a body that drove women insane.

"Mr. Shaw-"

"Call me Isaac," he said.

"Would you like to join us for my son's birthday dinner this evening?" Narcissa looped arms with Isaac. "I have a young lady I would like you to meet."

Lucius raised an eyebrow at his wife. "Which young lady are you talking about, dear?"

"Ginny," Narcissa stated. "Draco ended things with her because Serena doesn't want them to be together."

"When will that boy learn? I'd like to hit him over the head with my cane," Lucius grumbled.

"Mrs. Malfoy, I am flattered. But I'm not interested in women," Isaac said.

"Oh, I know that. You know that. Lucius knows that now. Ginny will know that after I tell her. But my son does not know that." Narcissa patted Isaac's chest. "I also have a lovely young man to set you up with. His name is Theodore Nott."

"Theodore is not-" said Lucius(?)

"He is," Narcissa insisted. "I know about these things better than you. You didn't even know about Isaac."

"I'll concede." Lucius crossed his arms. "Why are you setting Draco up for trouble?"

"He said he wouldn't mind if Ginny dated other men. His jaw ticked." Narcissa gave Isaac a wide-eyed expression. "You'll just have to flirt with her all night. Theodore is coming along, so you'll get to meet him, too."

"Don't you think he would get the wrong impression?" Isaac scratched the back of his neck.

"I'll tell him too. Draco will be the only one out of the loop. You can ignore his heated glares. Lucius and I will make sure that no harm comes to you," Narcissa said. "He'll thank you on his wedding day."

"Are you planning a wedding already, Narcissa?" Lucius shot his wife an amused look.

"I was browsing floral arrangements," Narcissa said nonchalantly. "I think a spring wedding would be wonderful. But at this point, I would take any season."

"Isaac, you are not obligated to participate in my wife's schemes." Lucius smirked.

Narcissa gave her best pleading look. "You'll love her. You two can become friends."

"Well, I don't have any friends here," Isaac replied.

"That's settled. Lucius will make travel arrangements for you. I'm off to tell Ginny of the plan. I will see you both tonight." Narcissa left the office.

~~~~~~~~

Three hours later, Narcissa knocked on Ginny's door. Maggie was behind her, several garment bags in her hand. She had intended on coming earlier, but Narcissa had decided the occasion required a Maggie Original. She had stopped by Maggie's first, which had taken more time than she had planned. Instead of arriving to speak to Ginny at the bakery, she found the bakery closed, and with an hour until Draco's dinner party, Narcissa was running severely behind, which is why she had picked out a dress for herself as well. She had also written a missive to Lucius, informing him of her situation. By his response, Narcissa knew he was amused.

"Hello, Narcissa," Ginny said unsurely as she opened the door. She looked from Narcissa to Maggie to the garment bags. "No, Narcissa. I refuse to take the dress."

"Ginny, you like my son. I like you. You will date my son. Now, may I come in? It's raining out here." Narcissa stepped inside as Ginny allowed her entrance. "I have a plan."

"I have one too." Pansy was holding lingerie in her hand as she exited Ginny's room. "But we should move this into Ginny's room. I don't want Ron to come out of his room and find me holding Ginny's crotch-less panties."

"Pansy," Ron groaned from inside his room. "You did that on purpose."

"I did no such thing," Pansy said, feigning innocence.

"Go to Ginny's room, Pansy," Ron hollered. "I don't need to hear about my sister's-bloody hell. You're going to give me a heart attack."

"Ginny, how are your flirting skills?" asked Narcissa as they walked into Ginny's room.

~~~~~~~~

Ginny adjusted her dress one more time. It was perhaps one of the most uncomfortable dresses she ever had to wear. It was beautiful, though. The deep purple gown reached just above her knees, which didn't sound appealing in any way. However, the way the purple satin dress clung to her skin, making it somewhat hard for Ginny to make normal sized steps, added a certain sex appeal to the dress. Her breasts were pushed up, and the rounded neckline was unable to hide her cleavage. The diamond detailing on the neckline drew attention to her breasts and matched her stilettos, which were a work of art: deep purple, multi-strapped stilettos with diamond studded heels. The artwork also happened to be difficult to walk in. All in all, her outfit was one she longed to get out of.

She was standing in the foyer of Draco's home along with everyone else. Pansy was attempting to convince Ron to go along with her plan. Isaac and Theo were conversing with Narcissa, and Lucius was on his way to speak with Isaac. Luna, who was wearing a pink dress with roses all over the skirt of the dress, was fussing over Xavier's shirt while Blaise attempted to get her to relax, and Draco was greeting all of his guests. Serena was skipping around, asking everyone if they liked her dress. The minute she saw her mother, Serena's face lit up and she bounded towards her mother.

"Mother," Serena screamed. The little girl, dressed in a black and white knee-length dress, looked much older than her six years. "You look pretty."

"Thank you," Ginny said. She bent over to hug Serena. "You look too old in that dress. Where are the ruffles?"

"For Merlin's sake, Ginny, don't bend over like that." Ron covered his eyes. "I can see your-Pansy, why is my sister wearing that?"

"Hush up, Ron," Pansy said softly.

"Couldn't you have said that somewhere a bit more private, Ron?" Ginny's cheeks enflamed slightly as she righted herself and looked at Draco. "Hello, Draco. Unfortunately, all I can give you for your birthday is my presence. So, happy birthday!"

Draco accepted her hug, his lips brushing against her ear. "You're a minx."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Ginny said innocently.

"I got a peek show of your green and silver lace," Draco whispered.

"I had to wear it. It's the only set I had that would work with this dress." Ginny stepped back. "I'm not trying to reel you back in, Draco. You made yourself perfectly clear about where we stand. I'm here for Serena. I didn't want her to get suspicious."

"Draco, I have to steal Ginny away." Narcissa had been watching their interaction across the room. The minute Ginny stepped back from Draco, she knew she had to sweep in and initiate her plan. "I want her to meet Isaac."

"Who is Isaac?" asked Ginny. Though she had been briefed on the plan, she still had to act like she didn't know the man.

"The son of one of Lucius's associates who is in need of friends. Draco, Serena wanted you a few minutes ago." Narcissa led Ginny over to where Isaac was conversing with Lucius and Theo. "Lucius, escort me to the dining room. We'll let these three chat."

Ginny laughed as Narcissa dragged Lucius away. "They are some couple."

"I don't think we've been formally introduced," Theo said.

"No, we have not. I am Ginevra Weasley, otherwise known as Ginny." Ginny shook his hand. "I know I have you to thank for helping out with the Tracey situation."

"It wasn't an issue," Theo said.

"I'm Isaac, the man you'll be using." Isaac gave her a hug. "We should start now."

Ginny saw Draco stop out of the corner of her eye. His face was expressionless, although his eyes were glued to her. "Theo, you've known Draco for a long time. Do you think this will work?"

"It will either go very badly or very well. There really is no saying." Theo stuck his hand in the pockets of his dress pants. "My duty for the night is not to make it obvious how attracted I am to Isaac."

"I feel bad. I'm encroaching on your time with each other." Ginny toyed with the ends of her hair, managing to look both hesitant and flirtatious. "We don't have to do this. I can go with doing Pansy's plan only."

"What is Pansy's plan?" asked Theo.

Ginny turned red as she said, "Lingerie. Right now, we're using both."

"Use both," Theo stated. "I'll go divert Draco and toss in how Isaac seems to be sweet on you."

"We'll have drinks tomorrow, Theo." Isaac shook Theo's hand.

As Theo took off, Ginny focused her attentions on Isaac. "So, what do you do?"

"I work in media. My father owns a communications business in America. We're hoping to merge with Malfoy Conglomerate." Isaac held out his arm as Narcissa called for them to enter the dining room. "Shall we?"

"I lived in America for six years." Ginny looped arms with him. "It was a bit different from here. But I can't say I hated it."

"Where did you live?" Isaac smiled charmingly down at her, making it seem like they were flirting rather than discussing trivial things.

"Pennsylvania, the Poconos to be exact," Ginny said.

"Isaac, you seem comfortable with Ginny. I hope you don't mind that I placed you there." Narcissa sat down in her chair, a warm smile on her face. "I can change your seat."

"I would love to sit next to Ginny," Isaac said cheerfully. He pulled out Ginny's chair for her. "I just hope she doesn't mind sitting next to me."

"Not at all," Ginny replied. "I want to hear about your stories from America."

"Now that we are all settled, I will do the introductions." Though he wasn't sitting at the head of the table, Lucius still felt that it was his duty. "Isaac, meet Luna and Blaise Zabini, their son, Xavier, Pansy Parkinson, Ron Weasley, Theodore Nott, my son, Draco, my granddaughter, Serena, and her mother, Ginny."

"Hello, I'm Isaac Shaw." Isaac smiled as everyone greeted him. "Happy birthday, Draco."

Draco inclined his head. "Thank you. And thank you all for coming."

"Why isn't Mother sitting next to me?" Serena crossed her arms, a glare being directed towards Isaac. "I want Mother to sit next to me."

Narcissa shot Pansy and Ginny a startled look before saying, "Serena, behave."

"I'm not behaving badly. I just want you to sit next to me," Serena exclaimed.

"Serena, everyone is already seated." Ginny gave Draco a look that said, "help."

"Aunt Pansy, could you and Uncle Ron move down a seat?" Serena smiled at Pansy.

"Serena, we're not going to move because you feel the need to behave rudely at my birthday dinner." Though Draco didn't appreciate the gazes Isaac and Ginny were shooting at each other, he couldn't condone his daughter's behavior.

"But you stopped dating Mother because I asked you to." Serena huffed. "I don't see how this is any different."

Several people at the table cleared their throats. It was clear from the various expressions of discomfort on their faces that all of them would rather be somewhere else, except, perhaps, Pansy. She seemed to be enjoying this, ignoring the look of panic that flashed across Ginny's face, and the frown marring Narcissa's. She simply sat back and watched the show that unfolded before her eyes, much like Theo. Although, Theo was not only watching Serena, and Draco, but also Isaac, who looked distinctly uncomfortable with the angry look that Serena had focused on him, and the Zabini family, who both had expressions of confusion on their faces. Perhaps the only person at the table who did not seem to be attuned to the situation was Ron. He had done his part at the beginning of the night, and preferred to remain detached from the situation.

"Serena, go to your room," Draco ordered.

"I only want Mother to sit next to me," Serena whined. "I want my mother to sit next to me."

"I have had enough of your outbursts, Serena. Go to your room," Draco said, his voice deceptively calm. "I will be up in a few minutes."

"Fine," Serena yelled. She glared at her father, mother and Isaac. "I don't want to be here."

Draco diverted his attention from Serena's retreating form. "I apologize for Serena's behavior. She is very unlike herself lately."

"This is what happens when she gets everything she wants." Lucius stared at the doors that Serena had slammed shut. He was not happy with her behavior in the slightest, especially not in front of guests. "You can't spoil her."

"When did Draco and Ginny break up?" Luna stared across the table at Pansy. "I thought they were still together."

"Draco ended things with Ginny because of Serena's behavior. Of course, I think that is a bad decision, seeing as how Serena seems to be going through a phase." Pansy took it upon herself to give Blaise and Luna a brief version of the happenings.

Blaise raised an eyebrow at Draco. "I feel as if I'm not around you enough, Draco."

"Me either," Luna agreed. "I would have persuaded you against that decision."

Ginny cleared her throat. "Draco, we should go and have a talk with Serena."

"Please, stay and talk about my wrong decisions some more." Draco stood from his chair and stalked towards the door, grumbling under his breath as he did. "It's my bloody personal life."

"Excuse us for a moment," Ginny said with a smile. She rushed to meet Draco, walking as fast as she could in her dress.

"Couldn't we have kept the breakup a secret as well?" Draco stopped at the bottom of the stairs, staring at her with some disdain.

"I'd rather discuss Serena if you don't mind. I've about had it with her behavior. It's one thing for her to react to us dating. But to behave like that to a perfectly nice stranger is not good at all." Ginny took the lead, going up the steps. Though, she did have to wait for Draco because she didn't know the way to Serena's room.

"You're right," Draco admitted reluctantly as he led her through the hallways of his home. They stopped outside Serena's door. "Over the past two days she's been nothing but vile. She stomps around like an all out terror."

"At least we're on the same page." Ginny followed Draco as he opened Serena's room door.

"Serena?"

Serena's head poked out from under her blanket. "I don't want to talk to anyone."

Ginny entered the room, blown away by the décor. While Ginny had been in Serena's room at the Malfoy Manor, she had never been in Serena's room in Draco's home. As a child, she had grown up in a room the size of a shoebox with furniture that was older than her father. Serena, however, grew up completely different. All of the white furniture looked brand new. Sheer white curtains hung down from the railings of the four poster bed. Lavish pink and white sheets covered the bed, the color matching the carpeting, walls, and the heavy drapes on the windows. A plush rocking chair sat on one side of the room. On the other side, a short tea table was set up, different dolls and stuffed animals sitting in the chairs. A toy chest was at one end of the room, overflowing with a variety of toys. A small fire was lit in the fireplace, casting a dim glow over the room.

"That's too bad." Draco walked over to the bed and sat down. "We have to talk, Serena. You have to tell me what's going on with you."

"I don't want to talk about it," Serena mumbled.

Ginny walked over and stood behind Draco. Her dress didn't allow her to sit too comfortably on the bed. "Serena, if you can't talk about it with us, who can you talk about it with?"

"I never get to spend time with you," Serena said quietly. "You're both always so busy. You used to spend so much time with me. And now I don't get to spend any time with either of you. It isn't fair. I have a mother and a father now, why can't I do things like other kids?"

"What kinds of things do you want to do?" Ginny unknowingly rested her hand on Draco's shoulder as she spoke, too caught up in the moment.

"Other kids go on trips with their parents. They get to go to the park. And we don't do any of that stuff. The only time I've been out with the both of you is at stupid balls." Serena swiped at the tears that fell down her face.

"What about last weekend? We went on a trip," Draco said.

"But it wasn't just us. It was everybody. And you kept leaving me with Grandmother and Grandfather." Serena was hysterically crying now. She crawled into her father's lap, curling up and gathering comfort.

"It's okay." Draco rubbed her back soothingly. "Everything's going to be fine."

Serena sniffled. "I'm sorry I ruined your birthday, Father. I didn't mean to."

"Serena, I love you. And I have been neglecting you lately. But your behavior has been unacceptable recently." Draco adopted a stern tone as he spoke. "You cannot continue to behave in this manner. It is unbecoming of a young lady. You'll have to go and apologize to everyone downstairs."

"I know," Serena whispered.

"From now on, we'll spend more time together. I promise." Draco kissed her forehead.

"With Mother too?" asked Serena.

Draco looked up at Ginny. "Are you in?"

"I'm in," Ginny said. She ran her hand through Serena's hair. "I have an idea."

Ginny turned away from Serena before removing her wand from the holster on her thigh. When Draco raised an eyebrow, she shrugged, preferring to continue her task. She waved her wand at Serena's sheets, causing them to float and suspend in midair. With a few more waves of her wand, the sheer hangings on the bed floated to join the sheets. Soon, there was a tent in the middle of Serena's room. Ginny made the pillows from the bed zoom inside the tent. A few minutes later, stars were on the inside of the makeshift tent. Inside, the tent seemed to glow. Ginny, satisfied with her work, put her wand away and turned to face Serena and Draco, who were both staring at the tent in confusion.

"When I was younger, I used to make a tent and pretend to be camping, especially on nights like this when it's raining." Ginny took Serena's hand and led her over to the tent. "I propose that we eat here tonight. We can go downstairs to the kitchen and whip up something that isn't hard to eat in a tent."

"Can we have sandwiches and cookies?" Serena's face lit up in excitement.

"It's your father's birthday. He gets to chose what we eat," Ginny said.

Serena looked up at her father. "What are we going to have?"

"I have food downstairs and guests," Draco pointed out.

"It's your birthday. They can't kill you if you want to spend some time with your daughter," Ginny said.

"Please, Father." Serena ran over and hugged her father.

"Please, Draco," Ginny said, adopting Serena's whimper.

Draco chuckled. "I suppose it is my birthday."

"I want chicken sandwiches," Serena exclaimed, "and ham sandwiches, and cookies."

"Do you have any cookies already made?" asked Ginny.

"But I want to make the cookies," Serena said. "Please?"

"Only if your father helps," Ginny said with a grin.

"I'm not baking," Draco replied.

"Father," Serena whined.

"It's okay." Ginny grabbed Serena's hand. "Your father has to go and deal with his guests."

"Serena, you are coming with me to apologize. Go and wash your face," Draco ordered.

Serena nodded dejectedly. "Yes, Father."

"I will go ahead and make the cookies. You can come and help me make the sandwiches when you're done apologizing," Ginny said.

Serena perked up a bit. "Okay. And I want lots of chocolate chips."

"You were right." Ginny watched as Serena shut the bathroom door. "Our relationship was hurting her."

Draco nodded, not knowing what to say.

Ginny looked down at her feet before looking up at him again. "I'm going to go get started on those cookies. Where is your kitchen?"

"Zee," Draco called. When the house elf appeared, Draco said, "Lead Miss Weasley to the kitchens and help her if she asks."

"Yes, Master," Zee replied.

Ginny followed behind the little house elf, down the stairs, through the halls, and finally to the doors of the kitchen, which was almost identical to the one at the Malfoy Manor. Ginny asked Zee to get her the ingredients and a mixing bowl. Within minutes, Ginny had already begun to mix together the ingredients for chocolate chip cookies. She was careful not to get anything on the dress she wore, for though she knew she could always use a cleaning spell, she did not want to risk having to use a spell on the fine fabric of her dress. Soon, the mixture was cookie dough and she began to make small balls, putting them on the baking tray Zee had provided for her.

Ginny began to think over what Serena had said in the room. Ginny had been unaware that the little girl felt so neglected. Her outbursts were beginning to make sense. Ginny sighed. She and Draco had jumped into the situation too soon. Instead of trying to get to know her daughter, she tried to get to know her daughter and the father of her child. It was just too much all at once. She should have concentrated her time on Serena. At the same time, she and Draco had already taken the dive into the relationship. Ginny wasn't sure she could let it all go, even for Serena. Ginny knew that she should be able to drop everything in a heartbeat for her daughter. However, she didn't think she could.

Ginny looked up as one of the objects of her thoughts entered the room. "Where is Serena?"

Draco shoved his hands into his pockets as he spoke. "She's with Mother and Father. I think they want to talk to her before they leave."

"Is everyone okay?" queried Ginny curiously while brushing the flour off her hands. "I hope no one is too upset that they have to go home. I should have spoken to you before I suggested the tent idea."

He shook his head. "It's fine. They all understand the situation."

"I would be surprised if they didn't," Ginny murmured. She picked up the tray from the counter, sticking it in the oven. "The cookies will be done soon."

"You work quickly," Draco said. Not knowing what else to say, he asked, "How is the bakery doing?"

Ginny smiled. "Good. The rennovations came out brilliantly. I couldn't have asked for anything better. Thank you for that recommendation, by the way."

"It wasn't a problem," Draco replied.

Ginny sighed as silence filled the room. "I don't want this to be awkward between us, Draco. We should be able to do this without feeling uncomfortable. We're adults."

"Not with the image of what you have under that dress," Draco said exasperatedly.

"Draco, we agreed that this," Ginny exclaimed, waving wildly between them, "is over."

Draco moved smoothly and swiftly towards her, his hand caressing the back of her neck when he reached her. "That doesn't mean that everything has to end."

Stepping away from him, Ginny scowled at him. "If you think that you and I will be having casual sex, you have another think coming, Draco. It will only complicate things."

"It doesn't have to be complicated," Draco said softly, leaning down towards her.

Ginny pressed her palms against his chest, and shoved him away. "I wouldn't know. I've only had sex with you. And it is always complicated. So, I suggest you find a way to cool yourself down. Our daughter will come bounding in here in a few minutes."

Draco ran a hand down his face. "You're doing this on purpose, aren't you? Isaac, the lingerie, denying me, it's all to get me back."

"You think a lot of yourself, Draco." Ginny managed to keep her tone neutral, not wanting Draco to realize he was right. "I told you that the lingerie-"

"Is for the dress," Draco finished for her.

"Exactly," Ginny said, turning away. "Why else would I wear crotchless panties?"

Draco's mouth fell open. "What?"

Serena came running in the room. "I smell cookies, Mother."

"The cookies are almost done," Ginny said with a bright smile. "Let's get started on those sandwiches."

Draco couldn't wrap his head around what Ginny said. He simply watched as the mother of his child and his young daughter started making sandwiches, only one of them aware of the turmoil in his mind.