Unofficial Portkey Archive

Buttercup by MemoriesFade
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Buttercup

MemoriesFade

Draco's eyes opened to a sea of red. It took him a few moments to realize that Serena was lying next to him. Another minute passed before he remembered why Serena was in his bed. She had been suffering from nightmares over the past two weeks. Sometimes, it was so bad that she would shake and cry for hours. She was never able to tell him what she dreamt about because talking about it made her more upset. Draco gracefully moved off the bed without shifting Serena. He looked down at his daughter, wondering what could be so bad. He was beginning to think that he should see someone about it. He decided he would, first, speak to Ginny then to Hermione. She was a Healer after all. She could, more than likely, recommend someone to him.

"Where are you going, Dad?" asked Serena groggily.

Draco bent over and kissed her head. "I'm going to have some tea. You get some sleep. We'll be out all day at the race."

"Okay," Serena said sleepily.

Draco exited the room. He pulled the rope, signaling for a house elf to come. Once he had ordered his morning tea, he sat down to leaf through a copy of the Daily Prophet that had been waiting for him on the coffee table. The Quidditch season was starting up, meaning the sports section was the most important section for Draco. However, as he was flipping through to the sports section, his eyes caught one particular headline. If he had been sipping tea, he would have spit it out. There was a picture of Tracey Davis in the Daily Prophet. The article was on her recent charitable donations to several different causes, including orphaned children and St. Mungo's Spell Damage ward.

He shook his head before moving on. There was nothing new in the Quidditch section. The Falcons were number five in the series, which was expected. They only had one match so far, whereas the other teams had played two. He was about to close the paper when he saw a small blurb at the bottom. It was an excerpt about him and his recent affiliation with Ginny. The paper was calling them the up and coming couple of the season, citing that they would soon become Quidditch royalty. There was a picture of Serena sitting in Ginny's lap in the coach's box during the scrimmage. Under that picture was a picture of him on the field during the game, staring up at the coach's box. He hadn't really been looking at the coach's box, rather the player flying above the coach's box. However, it did look like he was staring up at the coach's box where he could make out Ginny standing by the window, Serena resting on her hip.

A house elf popped in with his tea tray. "Sir, the guest in room 104 asked that you receive this message when you wake."

Draco nodded and opened the letter. His lips formed a small smile. "I'll have tea for one more. And inform the guest in room 104 that she may join me."

"Yes, sir," the house elf replied.

Draco waited a few minutes before going to stand at the door. The house elf popped in with an additional cup and extra almond croissants. When he heard a knock on the door, he quickly opened it. Ginny entered the room. Draco eyed her outfit appreciatively. Before Ginny had swept into his life, he had never really met anyone who wore jeans. His social circle deemed jeans below them. But seeing her in the tight fitting jeans and sheer blouse made him want to buy her a closet full of jeans. He began to imagine all the different ways he could take those jeans off. Knowing that line of thinking wasn't good with his daughter in the next room; he cooled himself down and closed the door.

"You know the broom race is a dressy event, right?" Draco didn't miss the fact that the curve of her breasts could be seen through her blouse. "Your attire is wholly inappropriate."

"The broom race starts at noon. It is eight in the morning. I would rather be fresh for the races." Ginny mixed a cup of tea, offering it to Draco. "I wanted to talk to you about last night."

"You'll have to be more specific," Draco said.

"Do you have any idea why Serena reacted the way she did to the relationship comment?" Ginny ran a hand through her hair, pinning it back before making her tea. "I couldn't sleep last night because I kept thinking about it."

Draco shrugged. "It could be a number of things. I don't think it necessarily means that she doesn't want us to date. She's made it clear time and time again that she wants us together."

"What if she changed her mind? Lately, all she's wanted is for us to have a baby. We've already demonstrated you don't need to be in a relationship for that," Ginny said.

"Not according to Serena," Draco replied. "Serena has it in her mind that we were in love, still are, which is how she came about."

"I just don't get it," Ginny exclaimed.

"Why are you making it bother you?" asked Draco. "Are you planning on outing us to the world soon?"

"The world already knows," Ginny said quietly. She leaned back on the couch. "I feel so frazzled."

Draco smirked. "I bet I could help."

Ginny cocked her head to the side to look at him. "Do you think so?"

"I know so." Draco could only be described as predatory as he stalked towards her. "I can help you by using several methods."

"I don't think you can do that with Serena in the other room." Ginny stepped back.

Draco matched her step by stepping forward. "I could really use a shower. I'm extremely dirty. In fact, I think I could use some help getting clean."

"Try explaining that one to your daughter." Ginny wrapped her arms around Draco's stomach. "I think we may have to wait this one out for some privacy."

"I'm working on that one," Draco murmured.

Ginny looked up at him. "I could use a kiss."

"I don't think I feel like giving you a kiss. You denied my bathroom request," Draco said.

Ginny pouted. "I just want a small kiss."

"Oh trust me. You won't want a small kiss when I'm done with you." Draco smirked. "Are you sure you want to tempt yourself?"

"I'll take my chances." Ginny leaned up on her toes. "Now, stop talking and kiss me."

Draco didn't have the chance to look smug because Ginny threaded his hair in her hands, pushing his head down towards her. Their lips locked in a desperate kiss, both trying to release their pent up passion in one kiss. Draco placed his hands on her hips. He hoisted her up, smiling into the kiss as she wrapped her legs around his waist. Ginny wrapped her arms Draco's broad shoulders as they continued to wrestle for control of the kiss. Their tongues moved against each other, arousal heightening in both Ginny and Draco. It was apparent that neither of them could simply indulge in a small kiss, especially when Draco ground his hips, his growing erection, against Ginny's core.

Ginny pulled back, gasping for air. "We have to stop."

"Do we?" Draco nipped at her neck, which caused her to arch against him. "I don't think you want to stop."

Before she knew what was happening, Draco had backed her into a wall. Their lips met again in a kiss that could only be described as violent. There was no gentleness to the way their lips moved against each other. There was only the frustration of not being able to strip each other's clothes off. Not doing so was going against their primal need. Draco was having trouble keeping his erection in his pants. And Ginny was having trouble with where the seam of her jeans was currently rubbing. Both were having trouble breathing as well. When Draco moved to unbutton Ginny's blouse, Ginny slapped his hand and pulled away.

"Draco," she gasped.

"I know." He moved his hand to the wall next to her head, his forehead resting on her shoulder. "I haven't gone two weeks without sex since I was fifteen."

Ginny laughed. "I can't believe you were shagging at fifteen."

"I was a Malfoy. The girls threw themselves at me," Draco stated pompously.

"Was Pansy one of those girls?" Ginny's legs were still wrapped around Draco. While the position didn't seem like it would be comfortable, it was. "I've always been curious."

"Did you spend a lot of time thinking about who warmed my bed?" He turned his head to the side, his lips moving against her neck as he spoke.

Ginny did her best to bite back a moan. "I won't lie. I did. I remember once, I saw you walk into the Great Hall with the largest hickey on your neck. From then, I began to wonder."

"I don't think you need to know." Draco nipped her neck.

"That's a yes, then?" Ginny eased her head to the side to give him better access. "I won't be mad. The past is the past."

"Why do you need to know?" asked Draco.

Ginny shrugged. "I just want to know. You know about all my past boyfriends."

"Your list wasn't that long," Draco drawled. His kisses had moved down to her collar bone.

"Something I am proud of," Ginny remarked. She bit down on her lip. "You should stop doing that."

"Do you really want me to?" Draco pulled away and stared into her eyes. "Are you going to pester me about this all day?"

Ginny grinned. "As much as I can pester you, I will."

"Fine," Draco said. He sighed, resting his forehead against her shoulder once more. "In my seventh year, I was under a lot of pressure to in the shadows. That went against everything I knew. Pansy was there to help me through a lot of my frustrations."

"She was the one to take the pain away." Ginny ran her hand through his hair. "Have you ever regretted what we did, Draco?"

"Sometimes, mostly in the Serena's younger years," Draco answered honestly. "I can't bring myself to regret the act that brought me Serena anymore, though. I don't know what would have happened if she weren't in my life. She matured me in ways that I think only a child in my life could have."

Ginny dropped her legs, using Draco's shoulders to help balance herself. There were no more words needed. Ginny brushed Draco's hair out of his eyes, the light touch conveying the message of sincerity, a message that needed no words. That one touch meant that she accepted his answer. Her small smile elongated their soft moment. The rattle of a door knob pierced through the moment like an arrow. Ginny jumped back and banged her head against the wall, tears coming to her eyes. Draco stepped away, his erection still standing at attention. He moved it around a bit in his pants and pushed Ginny in front of him.

Ginny glared at Draco while rubbing the back of her head. "You could be a little more sensitive."

"If you're waiting for me to be sensitive, you'll be waiting a lifetime," Draco hissed.

Ginny spun around and lifted her shirt to expose her lace bra. "Draco, there's something poking out your pants."

"Wench," Draco spat, not being able to resist staring at her ample breasts. When she put her shirt back down, she stuck her tongue out. "Perhaps you should spend more time with Serena. She can mature you."

Ginny turned around just as Serena opened the door. "Good morning."

"Mum?" Serena rubbed her eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"Yes, Ginny. What are you doing here?" asked Draco.

"I wanted to see you, silly." Ginny gave Draco an evil smile and stepped away from him. She covered her laughter with a cough as Draco walked over to the balcony doors. "Are you going somewhere, Draco?"

"I like the view," Draco said stiffly.

"Father, where are you going?" Serena looked between both her parents with confusion. "You haven't said good morning and given me my hug."

"Serena, can I get a hug first this morning?" Ginny took pity on Draco, who took the time to readjust himself. Ginny hugged Serena and squeezed her tight. She held Serena as long as she could before easing away. "I love you."

"Mum, why can't I see you every morning?" asked Serena. "Aunt Luna wakes up with Xavier every morning."

"I don't live with you, Serena," Ginny explained. "If I could wake up with you every morning and make you breakfast, I would."

"You should move in with us," Serena exclaimed.

Draco coughed. "What?"

"I thought you didn't want your father and me to be in a relationship," Ginny said amusedly.

"Only because you'll leave again," Serena accused, her finger pointing towards Ginny.

"Serena, what would give you that idea?" Ginny was shocked. She dragged Serena over to the couches and sat down.

"You left me and Father the first time," Serena said.

"I didn't leave because we were in a relationship, Serena." Ginny kept her voice calm and her tone soft. Inside though, her heart was breaking. "When did you start thinking about this?"

Serena lowered her head. "Marianne's parents are getting this thing called a divorce. She said that her parents are going to live in different homes and her Mum is going to Paris. Marianne said it's because they got married."

"Serena, a divorce is when two people who are married separate for many different reasons." Draco sat next to his daughter. "Marianne didn't mean it the way you think she did. She misinterpreted what her parents said. Marianne's parents are divorcing because they aren't in love anymore."

Serena looked horrified. "That can happen?"

"People fall out of love all the time," Ginny said.

"No," Serena said, tears in her eyes. "Is that what's happening to you, Mum? Are you and Father falling out of love?"

Ginny gave Draco a questioning gaze. Draco simply said, "No."

"Oh," Serena replied, immediately perking up. "Does that mean Mum will move in with us?"

"No," Ginny answered.

"It would be like a sleepover every night." Serena squealed with excitement. "Can Mum move in, Father?"

"Go and brush your teeth, Serena. You have to get dressed for the race soon." Draco kissed his daughter's temple. "And don't forget to wash your face."

As Serena scurried off, Ginny turned to Draco. "Mystery solved."

"Indeed," Draco remarked.

"Who is Marianne?" asked Ginny.

"Hannah Abott's daughter," Draco said. "She married a man she met in Bulgaria."

Ginny nodded and stood. "Well, I better go get dressed. Tell me why we have to wear dress robes to the races?"

"It is a dignified event." Draco walked Ginny to the door.

"I was hoping for something more like Quidditch." Ginny sighed. "I'll see you in a bit then."

Draco gave her a small kiss. "I suppose we can do small kisses after all."

"I guess so," Ginny said with a smile.

~~~~~~~~

Three hours later, Ginny was dressed in a chiffon dress robe, courtesy of a shopping trip with Pansy. The peach color made her skin look a lot like porcelain, especially with her hair surrounding her face in a mass of curls. She had chosen to accessorize the deep V neckline with a long gold chain, a crystal pendant attached. Her left sleeve was adorned with a gold bangle, a gift from Ron for her sixteenth birthday. The dress robes were less severe than the usual dress robes. Ginny was thankful for this fact because the broom race was indeed a daytime event. Dress robes were customarily worn at nighttime events, except in the case of the broom race. It seemed that the upper class, the ones who had sky boxes, dressed to impress.

A soft knock on her door had Ginny limping towards the entrance of her room. One shoe was in her hand, the other, unbuckled, on her foot. She swung the door open, happily surprised to see Luna. The two women hugged, showered each other with compliments, and then sat down by the bay window in Ginny's room. They still had an hour before the broom race started. Ginny finished with her shoes before turning to question Luna about why she was there.

"I had to get out of the house. I love Zoe. But sometimes she can be very overbearing. If I have to hear her tell me to exercise so that my body doesn't become saggy after I give birth one more time, I will hex her to pieces." Luna stared out at the crowded streets. People were beginning to make their way to the races already, more than likely the people who had yet to secure their tickets. "Blaise suggested we come to the broom race."

"Where is he?" Ginny did her best not to laugh at Luna's predicament.

"He took Xavier to see Serena," Luna responded.

"Draco and I had an interesting talk with Serena this morning." Ginny told Luna all about Serena's fear. "On top of it all, Draco seems to really want to keep everything hidden from her. I'm not so sure it is the right thing to do anymore."

"I don't have any experience with a situation such as yours. So, I won't be giving you any advice," Luna said. "I hope the Beeglebops bless you both with good luck."

"I hope so too," Ginny said with a sigh. "Draco found out yesterday that Tracey had an accomplice, Alan Warrington."

"I've never met him. I think Blaise mentioned him once," Luna said. "Does Draco think he is a serious threat?"

"I think so," Ginny replied. She bit her lip, her mind drifting to reasons why Draco would want to keep their relationship hidden longer than necessary. It had been something plaguing her thoughts ever since Serena interrupted them. "Do you think Draco is ashamed of me?"

"Where did that come from?" Luna leaned in, curious.

"I just don't really see a reason for him to keep this from Serena. My entire family knows. His family knows. The wizarding world, more than likely, believes the rumors," Ginny said. "So, why does he really want to keep this from Serena? What if she finds out from someone else?"

"Your insecurity is making you blind to reason," Luna commented in her serene way. "It is clear that Draco is trying to keep things quiet because he worries for your safety as well as Serena's. Alan Warrington is after Draco. I doubt he would think twice about using you or Serena as bait."

"Merlin, I've missed you." Ginny reached across the table and grabbed Luna's hand. "I feel like I haven't spent much time with you since I've been back."

"Zoe and Xavier keep me busy. Zoe always needs help with her upcoming charity events. You should be getting an invitation to her three balls soon." Luna patted her stomach. "And between Xavier's tutoring and dealing with my sixth month of pregnancy, I have little time for myself. Any other time is spent with Blaise."

"I didn't know you tutored Xavier," Ginny said.

"We'll hire a tutor when he turns five. For now, the basic things I can teach him myself," Luna said. "Besides, I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with Xavier. I won't have as much time when the baby comes. I'm just glad he is at an age where he'll understand that."

"I wish I could spend more time with Serena," Ginny admitted.

"Have you thought of hiring people to work at the bakery? You can't do it all on your own, Ginny." Luna shifted around in her seat. "I've been recommending you to all my friends. With the season starting up, society goes into this whirlwind of balls and the need for sweet treats."

"I suppose I do need some help other from Pansy," Ginny conceded. "Thank you for the recommendations, by the way. I have gotten an influx of requests from upper society."

"You're like a celebrity, Ginny. Everyone wants to say they have your cake at their ball," Luna said.

"When I came back, I never dreamed I would be this successful. I thought I would actually have to close shop and get a different job." Ginny sighed. "If it wasn't for Draco's fame, I would probably be closing shop."

"You and Draco are meant to be, Ginny. I have this feeling when I'm around you two," Luna said. "He's a good man. I don't think I would want to picture anyone else with you at this point."

"Luna, we've only been together for a month." Ginny laughed at her friend's comment. "You're talking as if we decided to get married."

"I have a feeling you will one day be walking down the aisle with him." Luna smiled, her dreamy voice taking over. "Two of my best friends will one day get married. And Pansy is finally in a relationship with someone. Things are fitting into place for those around me."

"Luna, marriage is nowhere in sight," Ginny exclaimed.

"Isn't it?" Luna crossed her legs. "We can change the subject since it makes you so uncomfortable."

"It doesn't make me uncomfortable," Ginny lied. Inside, the thought of marrying Draco was doing all kinds of things to her inside. She couldn't decide whether or not she would marry Draco if he asked. Seeing her friends knowing look, she stuck her tongue out. "No one likes people who pretend they know it all."

"Yet, you're friends with Hermione," Luna joked.

Ginny giggled. "Hermione would hex you if she heard you, pregnant or not. Plus, you have to admit, she was always right."

"Not always," Luna stated. "She thought I was barmy. I'm not."

"That is still debatable," Ginny teased.

"If my movements weren't slow because of my large stomach, I would hex you." Luna stood from her chair as gracefully as her burgeoning belly would allow. "Come on. I told Blaise I would only be a short while."

Ginny grabbed her wand. "Perhaps you can solve the mystery as to why we have to wear dress robes."

"Where do you think those horseracing events in the Muggle world get their dress code from?" Luna walked next to Ginny as they made their way to the lift. "I think it has a lot to do with the type of people who often stay in the sky boxes."

"Now, will there be others in our sky box?" asked Ginny.

"The Malfoys usually have a private box that Draco and Lucius invite their guests to. The last time I came, two years ago, Lucius had invited three of his clients. Draco didn't come to that race because of Serena." Luna shook her head. "Serena was on punishment and so Draco ended up being punished as well."

"At first, I couldn't imagine Serena doing anything wrong. Now, though, it is a completely different story. She has an evil streak," Ginny said.

Luna was the first to step onto Draco's floor, where Serena and Xavier could be seen running down the hall, Draco and Blaise watching over them while in discussion. Ginny and Luna made their way towards the men, stopping to say hello to the children. All at once, Serena and Xavier launched into a tirade about having to wear dress robes. At first, the children had all been told they would be able to wear their usual dress attire, dresses and pants suits. Serena, who had been to the broom race before, was the hardest to convince. It wouldn't have been necessary to trick them if Serena hadn't blurted out about the dress robes rule while the Weasleys and Malfoys discussed the vacation. The children had all been in an uproar about dress robes, hence the reason they were tricked.

"Serena," Draco said sharply. "Behave yourself. Malfoys never complain."

"You complain all the time, Father." Serena batted her eyelashes at her father. "You don't exactly set a proper example for me, do you?"

"Serena, go and play with Xavier." Ginny nudged her daughter behind her in an attempt to dispel the impending scolding from Draco. She wanted their day ahead to go as well as the day before at the festival. When Draco looked ready to say something, Ginny quickly said, "You haven't complimented my attire. That is bad form for you upper class gentlemen."

"How terrible of me," Blaise remarked. "Ms. Weasley, though your beauty pales in comparison to my wife, you look radiant. If I were not married, I would be tempted to date you."

"Blaise, Luna and I used to get up to some things in our Hogwarts days," Ginny said seductively.

Luna nodded in agreement. "We used to do all kinds of weird things in my room. Oh, do you remember that time, Ginny?"

"You're talking about the time when I spent the entire weekend holed up in your room," Ginny said.

"No, I was talking about the time we snuck out to Hogsmeade to get chocolate so we could melt it." Luna winked. "That was the best chocolate I've ever tasted."

"It would have been so much more fun with a third person to help us through all that chocolate." Ginny couldn't help but to burst into laughter at the identical looks of shock on Draco and Blaise's faces. "Calm down, gentlemen. Luna and I are only joking."

"We did do weird things in my room, though. We transfigured my sheets into a trampoline and then covered it in chocolate," Luna said. "We then slid around in it for a bit."

"I suppose it could be considered a bit sexual as we were wearing naught but our bras and knickers." Ginny had a thoughtful expression on her face. "What do you think, Draco?"

"That we should change this line of our conversation," Draco said quickly.

"This is the second time in the past fifteen minutes that I've had to change the subject of my conversation." Luna crossed over to her husband's side. "And both conversations were fun ones."

"What was the first one, love?" asked Blaise.

Ginny moved to slap her hand over Luna's mouth. But she was too late.

"It was about Draco and Ginny getting married," Luna stated.

"You're what," shrieked multiple voices.

Ginny looked from Luna to Narcissa, who had been opening her door, to Ron and Pansy, who were stepping off the lifts, to Serena, who looked on the verge of tears, and finally at Draco, whose face showed absolutely no emotion. Though, his eyes seemed to convey the fact that he wanted to murder Luna Zabini. If the glares Ginny was throwing in Luna's direction weren't proof that Ginny felt the same way Draco did, then the shaking hands and twitch in her eye definitely proved it. Both Ginny and Draco were about to yell at Luna and deny Luna's statement, when Ron opened his mouth.

"You've only been dating for a month!"