Unofficial Portkey Archive

Buttercup by MemoriesFade
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Buttercup

MemoriesFade

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters from the Harry Potter Universe. And I am not earning money from this story.

This chapter is quite long. But it's turned out to be one of my favourites so far. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.


The park was swarming with children and parents, the former running about like wild animals. The child-sized broomsticks zoomed across the designated flying spot, parents yelling at them to stop crashing into one another. The parents, despite having to yell at their children, seemed to be having a grand ole time, gossiping to the fellow parents about the new teacher who got fired from the day care because of an illicit affair with the owner. It was enough to make any Weasley, especially Ginny and George Weasley, laugh.

"That one over there said the owner was geeky looking." George pointed to a lady in a canary yellow hat. "I wonder if anyone told her it was rude to wear such outlandish things."

"When have you ever cared about what people wear, George?"

"Never," George said. "But I might have to shoot the bird on her hat to put it out of its misery."

"That's a bird?" Ginny squinted, taking a closer look at the hat in question. "I thought it was just a pile of feathers."

"No, it's a bird," George replied. "She has one in blue and purple."

"She has one in pink as well."

Ginny turned around, finding herself face to face with Draco Malfoy. Ginny was thankful she had chosen the spring dress she wore because of Draco's attire. His casual park clothes consisted of black slacks and a dark blue silk sweater. Serena, on the other hand, was decked out in her best clothes, it seemed. She wore a green dress with white lace and bows. It even included white lace gloves on her hands.

"Hello," Ginny said nervously. "Draco, Serena, this is my brother, George."

George shook hands with Draco and placed a kiss on Serena's hand. "Good to meet you."

"His son, Fred, wanted to come and play at the park," Ginny explained.

Awkwardness overcame the three adults, Serena oblivious to it all. No one had really thought of how the conversation would go when they all came face to face. So, they stood around in a small circle, staring at each other. It wasn't until Serena stomped her foot in irritation that any of the adults spoke up.

"Why did Grandmother make me wear this dress?"

"Serena," Draco warned.

Ginny hid a laugh behind her hand. "Well, you look very beautiful."

"But if we're only going to stand around in a park, why did I need to wear a dress?" Serena let go of her father's hand, crossing her arms. "I can't even go and play."

"Well, you're not here to play," Draco said.

"No one's talking," Serena whined. "Why can't I play?"

"I have an idea," Ginny said. "Why don't we go play on the swings? We can clean it to make sure your dress won't get dirty. And we can talk while you swing."

"Why couldn't you come up with that, Father?" Serena huffed. "I like Mother already. I knew I wouldn't think she was a good for nothing Weasley."

"Poisoning her mind, Malfoy?" George grinned, taking the barb in stride.

"My father said that," Draco confessed. "I can't poison her mind. She's old enough to make her own judgment."

Ginny sighed, following Serena to the swing set. There were only two children in the swing section of the park, the children who were too young to run around and play. That left a good many available swings, which left the choice of which swing to choose up to Serena. The little girl proved to be very indecisive as she walked from swing to swing with a complaint about why she couldn't choose that swing.

"This one," Serena declared.

Ginny flicked her wand, the seat becoming instantaneously clean. "There we go. Would you like to take off the gloves?"

"Yes, please," Serena said, handing her the lacy objects. "Can you push me?"

"Sure," Ginny said, moving behind the young girl. "Now, what should we talk about?"

"I liked the cupcake Daddy nicked for me," Serena complimented. "Did you bake it?"

"Yes," Ginny said, laughing at the fact that Draco had stolen something from her. "I bake a lot of things."

"Do you bake everything with chocolate? I love chocolate." Serena threw her head back as Ginny pushed her on the swing. "Daddy likes chocolate too. But he doesn't eat it much anymore. He said he has a reason. But he won't tell me."

"I'll see if I can figure it out for you." Ginny remembered Draco had liked chocolate. They had shared a box of chocolate after their sexual endeavour six years ago. He had loved it as much as she did. "Are you excited for your birthday party?"

"Grandmother said it's going to be the party of a century," Serena mimicked in a high voice. "I just don't want to wear the frilly dress she's gotten me."

"Why not?" asked Ginny. "I used to love wearing frilly dresses when I was younger. It always made me feel like a princess. I would think you would want to feel like a pretty princess on your birthday."

"You liked wearing frilly dresses?" Serena hopped off the swing, almost hurting herself in the process. "Didn't they itch?"

Ginny chuckled at the sight of the five-year-old with her hands on her hips. "Well, there's a spell for that."

"Grandmother said there wasn't," Serena said.

"Your grandmother may not have known." Ginny comforted the young girl who seemed to think her grandmother had lied to her. "She didn't have a girl. She had a boy. I don't think your dad complained about itching from dresses, do you?"

Serena giggled. "I don't think Daddy would wear a dress."

"Me either," Ginny whispered. "I'll tell your dad the spell. He can use it on you on the day of you birthday party."

"Aren't you coming?" The woeful look on Serena's face could make even the happiest person sad. "All the other girls will have their mothers there. Why can't I have mine?"

"It isn't as simple as me just showing up, Serena," Ginny explained. "I would need to get your father's permission. He would probably have to run it by your grandmother and grandfather. And at such short notice, it may not be possible."

"Serena, is something wrong?" Draco had seen the look that had crossed his daughter's face from across the park. His intention was to give Ginny and Serena some time alone while he, unfortunately, spoke with her brother and Fred, his son. However, upon seeing the look he considered the bane of his existence, he decided to come over. "Serena?"

"I want to go home," Serena mumbled, walking over to her father. "She's not my mother. My mother would want to come to my birthday party."

"Serena, go play on the swings," Draco ordered. "I have to speak with Weasley."
"It's not that I don't want to," Ginny said, frustration evident in her tone of voice. She watched as the dejected girl sat on the swings, slowly swinging back and forth. "It's just that, I don't know if you, or your parents for that matter, would approve of me being there. I mean. Everyone thinks her mother is dead. And I'm not."

"Well, if your family hadn't done what they did, we wouldn't have that problem," Draco snapped.

"I understand that," Ginny replied, getting angrier by the minute. "I don't see why you need to continue bringing up the fact when I wholly agree with you. And, by the way, it wasn't my family. It was my parents. By saying family, you're including my brothers, who had nothing to do with it. They just thought you had a red-head fetish and shagged another red-head, who happened to get pregnant."

"As I recall, I wasn't the one who wanted to shag that night," Draco said, inching closer towards her. "So, if anything, you have a thing for blondes."

"Yes, Malfoy," Ginny replied venomously. "I took my clothes off and begged you to fuck me. But, if I remember correctly, you were an avid participant, especially on the second and third round. So, you cannot throw that in my face."

"What did you mean when you told my father that you didn't hate me before I tried to kill your brother?" The conversation quickly switched from one of anger to contemplation. "He can't seem to get it out of his head."

"I meant exactly what I said." Ginny crossed her arms, a glare still on her face. "I never hated you. I couldn't hate you. You never gave me a reason to hate you. Sure, there was the thing with the valentine but I quickly brushed that off. There were other more important things going on during my first year. But when we found out you were the one who almost killed Ron, well, things changed. You gave me a reason."

"If you hated me, why did you ask me that night?"

"Daddy, can we go?" Serena tugged on her father's sweater, interrupting the conversation he was having with Ginny. "I don't want to be here anymore."

Draco picked up Serena, a mask of indifference on his face. "The party is at the Manor tomorrow afternoon. It starts at four, cocktail attire. You may come early if you'd like."

Ginny was left standing in shock as Draco and Serena moved away. The young girl had a bright smile on her face, happy that she had managed to con her parents into doing exactly what she wanted.


The day after their meeting in the park, Ginny found herself standing in the lobby of Malfoy Manor. She decided she had never seen so much gold tinged marble in her life. The lavish golden decorations surrounded her, a smell of roses invading her nostrils. It was sweet and alluring, a scent which she never though the Malfoy Manor would smell like. She had pictured grey stone and a dank and mouldy smell.

She smoothed her pink and beige cocktail dress down, her nail snagging on the lace. She had taken out the best dress she owned. Unfortunately, it wasn't that great. In her time spent in Pennsylvania, she had never needed to own a fancy dress. The attire was not required for her day to day life. And with the short notice, she hadn't been able to go out and buy a dress.

"Can Belby help Miss?" A house-elf appeared with several forks in hand.

"Yes," Ginny said, noting the way the house elf was dressed in a little dress. "I'm here for the party."

"That's alright, Belby." Narcissa Malfoy swept down the stairs, an air of confidence and power surrounding her. Her stiletto clad feet clicked against the marble, her dress swishing around her knees. "I'll handle it. Go ahead and finish up setting the tables."

"Yes, Mistress," the house-elf said with a bow. But as the house-elf turned around, the fork hitched into the lace hem of her dress, the tell-tale sound of ripping permeating the air. The house-elf turned, surveying the damage with a look of horror on her face. "Belby is sorry, Miss. Belby will punish herself now."

"No, no," Ginny yelled. The words reminded her too much of the deceased Dobby. She observed the damage done to her dress. The hem of her dress had ripped completely, the dress reaching mid-calf. "I can fix it. I hope."

"Oh dear," Narcissa exclaimed, rushing down the last few stairs. A thoughtful expression crossed over her face as she looked at the ripped dress. "You know. I might have a dress in your size upstairs. Why don't you come with me?"

"Thank you. But that won't be necessary." Ginny checked her watch, eyes flashing to the fireplace. "I'll just pop back home, change, and be back in a flash."

"There's a little girl waiting for you upstairs," Narcissa said, grabbing Ginny's arm forcefully. "It's a simple thing to change upstairs in a dress I provide. Besides, I doubt you had two nice dresses."

Ginny didn't know if she should feel thankful or offended. She went with the latter. "I understand that you may all have strong distaste for me, but I will not be disrespected."

"Dear me," Narcissa said, outraged. "I never meant it like that, child. I simply meant that in your line of work, you probably didn't have very many cocktail events to go to."

"Oh," Ginny said sheepishly, a blush rising to her cheeks. "Sorry."

"No harm done." Narcissa led her down several halls before opening a set of white and gold double doors. "I understand there has always been animosity between the Weasleys and Malfoys. Though, the animosity did bring a child into this world. You'll have to tell me how that came to be one day. Draco is far too prudish to discuss it with his mother."

"Is he prudish?" Ginny stepped into the room, which was decked out in a beautiful rich green hue with cream trimmings. Her small heeled sandals sank into the plush carpet of the sitting room, the cool darkness of the room rushing over her. "This is a beautiful room."

"Thank you," Narcissa replied, walking through an open set of double doors. They entered the bedroom, the same colours assaulting their eyes. The beautiful cream coloured bed frame and silk bed hangings screamed rich and luxurious. "The closet is right here."

Ginny followed her through the bedroom, a door leading her to the largest closet she had ever seen in her life. Racks upon racks of clothing, shoes, hats and various other accessories, including gloves, lined the walls of the room, making Ginny gape in awe at its splendour. It was, perhaps, one of the most amazing things she had ever seen. Not being one for fashion, Ginny had to say the impressive collection of clothing would make any girl sigh in contentment, even the ones who didn't care for it.

"Here we are." Narcissa shifted through one end of the closet. "I bought a dress for myself a year and a half ago. The dreadful thing looked a lot nicer on the mannequin than it did me."

"Oh," Ginny said not sure how to respond. "That's awful?"

Narcissa removed a dress from the rack, holding it to Ginny's body. "Lucky for you, though. I think it'll look fantastic. You can go behind the screen and change. I'll find a pair of shoes."

"Okay." Ginny took the hanger Narcissa offered, going behind the screen hidden in a corner of the room. "The dress is amazing. I don't know if it'll fit."

"It will," Narcissa promised. "So, how did you and Draco end up doing the dirty deed?"

"Mother, are you talking to yourself?"

"Of course not," Narcissa said. She retrieved what she considered the perfect pair of shoes, hoping that Ginny was the same size. "I was speaking with Ms. Weasley in hopes that she would enlighten me on how you two happened to bring Serena into this world."

"Oh," Draco replied stiffly.

"Ms. Weasley, are you done yet?" Narcissa faced her son. "Ms. Weasley had a mishap. Actually, I should say, Belby had a mishap. She snagged forks in Ms. Weasley's dress and ripped it. I offered her one of my dresses, a dress I haven't worn, of course. While you're here, do you mind offering an opinion? A man's opinion is always best when getting dressed."

"I don't think she would be comfortable with that," Draco whispered to his mother. He hoped that Ginny wasn't overhearing him. "I'll go before she changes."

"Nonsense," Narcissa said softly, an iron-like grip on Draco's arm. "Ms. Weasley, come out."

"It's a little tight." Ginny moved from behind the screen, attempting to adjust her breasts in the bodice of the dress. She looked up to see Draco still standing there. She had thought, or rather hoped, that Draco had left by now. "Oh, I thought you left."

Draco's gaze landed on his mother before he locked eyes with Ginny. "I'm still here."

"I was right," Narcissa announced joyously. "It looks far better on you than me. What do you think, Draco?"

Ginny shifted on her feet nervously, anxious to hear Draco's opinion. "Uhm...is my hair alright?"

"One second," Narcissa mumbled, handing Ginny a pair of black stilettos. She waved her wand at Ginny. Immediately, Ginny's hair became straight with a slight wave, falling over her left shoulder. Her makeup became subtle, pink eye shadow and blush being removed. "Put the shoes on and you will look fantastic. Draco, are you going to offer an opinion?"

Draco observed the red-head in front of him, a mask on his face. The short dress she wore clung to her upper body, flaring out from her waist to just above her knees. The emerald green colour brought out her skin tone, bringing out the deep red colour of her hair. The shoes served to enhance her shapely legs as well as match the black band at her waist.

"You look beautiful," Draco intoned.

"Thank you." Ginny blushed, the colour spotting her cheeks. She noticed his classic black suit, the suit jacket left open, revealing the deep green shirt underneath. "You don't look too bad yourself."

"Fantastic!" Narcissa smiled at the interaction between the two parents. "Now, shall we go see Serena?"

"Ah, yes," Draco said. "Pansy and Luna are keeping her company at the moment."

"Luna?" Ginny suddenly became very aware of the fact that she would be seeing her former best friend tonight. "She's here, now?"

"Yes." Draco gave her a firm nod. "I haven't told her anything as of yet. I came to ask Mother if you had arrived because Serena keeps talking about you. Luna is becoming increasingly sad."

"You git," Ginny yelled. "Why couldn't you just tell her? Now you have her getting upset and depressed because she still thinks I'm dead."

"It's not my job to tell everyone you're alive," Draco sneered.

"Lead the way," Ginny said with a mock wave.

"Keep close," Draco said. "I wouldn't want you getting lost. It could take days to find you."

"I doubt I could get lost following your big head," Ginny muttered.

"A wonderful moment, ruined." Narcissa shook her head at the bickering duo.

"Narcissa, why are you talking to yourself?"

"For the last time, I do not talk to myself." Narcissa shot her husband a heated look. "It would do you and your son well to remember that."

"My son, who happens to be arguing with a Weasley," Lucius said, watching the retreating pair. Lucius followed behind the two with a wince. "Could they get any louder?"

Narcissa cringed as Ginny stomped her foot and Draco snapped back in response. "I think that answers your question, Lucius."

"They remind me of us," Lucius admitted.

"Yes," Narcissa said, a reminiscing smile on her face. "I never did understand why we bickered so much."

"We didn't know another way to express our passion towards each other." A smug expression crossed over Lucius' face. "We soon fixed that problem."

"Lucius," Narcissa shrieked. "Don't be so vulgar. Children will be running around soon."

"We could sneak away for a little," Lucius suggested.

"Perhaps later," Narcissa said with a wink. "We can leave Draco to be attacked by all the children."

"What is that blasted noise?" Lucius looked in the direction of Serena's room, the screaming becoming louder. "That isn't Serena."

"No. I believe it is Mrs. Zabini," Narcissa mused. "She just found out Ms. Weasley is still alive."

As they entered Serena's room, they found that it was Luna who was screaming. The blonde was cowering in a corner, shielding her face from all who looked upon her. Her body shook as she sobbed into her hand, incoherent mumbling accompanying the sorrowful sound. The others in the room were helpless. Draco had already gone to find Blaise. And Pansy, Serena, and Ginny could only stand and stare.

"Mrs. Zabini," Narcissa called.

"It's a ghost," Luna mumbled. "After all these years, it's a ghost."

"Luna," Ginny said softly, kneeling in front of her friend. "I'm here. I'm real."

"No. You're not."

"When my parents found out I was pregnant, they kept me locked away as you well and know," Ginny began. "After I gave birth, they told me my child was a stillborn. Of course, she wasn't. They had taken her from me and left her outside the Malfoy Manor. They also left a note that said I was dead. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I've been alive all these years. I lived in Pennsylvania and opened a bakery. But I'm back. I'm home."

"Ginny?" Luna stared at her with wide eyes, arms lowered to her lap. "Is it really you?"

"It's me," Ginny whispered, tears in her eyes. "Now, can we hug and cry joyously in each other's arms? I've been looking forward to it."

Luna half laughed half sobbed, throwing herself into Ginny's arms. "Merlin, I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," Ginny cried. "I wanted to Floo or Owl, especially when I found out you had gotten married and had a baby. But Mum told me I should start a new life. And I knew once I saw you, there would be no going back."

"It's okay," Luna assured her friend. "You're here now. That's all that counts."

"Love, are you alright?"

"Blaise, I'm having a tearful reunion," Luna shrieked. "You can't interrupt me like that."

"Sorry, love," Blaise chuckled. "But you have to remember that the stress isn't good for the baby."

"I just thought you were fat," Ginny exclaimed, pulling away from Luna. "I didn't know you were pregnant again."

Luna laughed. "I'm not fat. Well, I am fat. But it's because I'm pregnant."

Ginny helped Luna up from the floor with a little help from Blaise. "Congratulations."

"There is far too much sappiness going on in here." Pansy Parkinson crossed her arms, a look of disdain flitting across her face. "Is this what the Gryffindor common room was like?"

"Shut it, Parkinson," Luna snapped. "You very well know that I was not in Gryffindor."

"You did associate with them a lot, love." Blaise wrapped his arms around her burgeoning belly, lips planting a kiss on her cheek. "You must admit."

"Whose side are you on, Blaise?" Luna shot Blaise a look of contempt. "If I remember correctly, you said the guest room bed hurts your back."

"Excuse me?"

"Yes, Serena?" Draco knew his daughter had no idea what was going on in the room. In fact, now that he thought about it, Serena's room wasn't the best place for this to happen. His daughter, though she could be humble at times, loved attention, which she was not getting at the moment. "Did you want something?"

"My mum is supposed to be casting a spell so this dress will stop itching." Serena pouted at Ginny, who was busy fixing her running make up. "But you're all crying and yelling so much. She can't hear me."

"I'm sorry, Serena." Ginny withdrew her wand, a smile on her face. "Let's get rid of that itching."

"I wish Mother knew that spell when I was younger," Pansy whispered. "Parties would have been a lot more fun."

"My birthday parties consisted of funny cakes," Luna said. "Though, one year, Daddy and I went to search for Heliopaths."

"Did you have any luck?" asked Pansy, a smirk on her face.

"No," Luna replied.

"There," Ginny exclaimed. "How does that feel?"

"No itching," Serena squealed.

"Ginny, you and Draco match," Luna pointed out, a twinkle in her eye.

"We should go downstairs," Narcissa interrupted. "I think some of the guests may have arrived."

Ginny stood on her feet, an amused expression on her face. "Why do I feel as if a fork ripping my dress wasn't an accident?"

"Because my mother doesn't know when to leave things alone," Draco suggested.

"Father, can we go?" Serena pulled at Draco's jacket earnestly. "I don't want to be late for my own party."

"Ginny, are you coming?" Luna waited for her in the doorway.

"I'll see you downstairs," Ginny said to Serena, squeezing her shoulder.

Ginny joined Luna and the rest on the trip downstairs. However, as her feet landed on the floor of the foyer, Lucius Malfoy whisked her away. She wasn't sure whether or not she should scream for help. So, she chose to wait it out and see what he wanted. She followed him into his study, an uneasy feeling settling into the pit of her stomach. He could kill her right here. There was no one to stop him. Of course, she figured that Luna would probably wonder what was taking them so long. That thought made the uneasiness dissipate slightly.

"I've been thinking over your situation, Ms. Weasley." Lucius leaned back onto his desk.

"Is that so?"

"I believe you should talk to your mother," Lucius said.

Ginny was shocked. "What?"

"Do you know that some animals eat their young to protect them?" Lucius stared out at the vast expanse of his lawn. "I think your mother was simply trying to protect you."

"Sir, with all due respect, I don't think it is any of your business."

"I'm merely suggesting that you think over eradicating your parents from your life," Lucius said lightly. "I've put myself in their shoes ever since our interlude in the market. And I've come to the same conclusion every time."

"What would that be?"

"If Draco were to remove himself from my life, I would die."

The intense moment ended as Lucius left the study, giving Ginny a moment to mull over what he had said. Perhaps he was right. There was always the thought of killing her parents with kindness. Though, part of her couldn't come to terms with what her mother had done. The fact that her mother hadn't seen reason to apologize was odd. Molly Weasley had never been one to not admit her wrongs.

Ginny sank down in an arm chair by the fire, arms dropping to her lap. As she stared at the dying flames, she wondered what her next action should be. She could contact her mother in hopes that she had seen the error of her ways. Or she could continue on doing what she had been doing, ignoring her mother and father. The latter would be the easiest course of action. But she didn't know which one would be the right.

"Father said I could find you here." Draco leaned on the door frame, his hair tousled, falling in his face. "Are you planning on hiding here?"

"No," Ginny said, a confused expression on her face. "What would you do if you were in my situation? Would you talk to your parents?"

Draco stepped further in the room, the door closing behind him. "I would wait until my parents sought me out and apologized. Until then, I would get my life back as best as I could."

Ginny smiled serenely. "Hermione said almost the same thing."

"Granger and I agree on something for once," Draco said. "The sky must be falling."

"You asked me why I did what I did that night." Ginny took a look out the window. "I don't know. You were just talking. And you understood me. At least, you did that night."

"So, no guy ever understood you. That's why you jumped into my bed?"

"I didn't jump into your bed," Ginny said incredulously.

"Oh right. You stripped down naked in front of my fireplace." Draco smirked.

Ginny leaned back against the window. "Do you want to know the truth?"

"I thought that's where the conversation was going."

"Ron was talking about Fred while we were in the lake." Ginny crossed her arms, a fleeting expression of sorrow appearing on her face. "I needed to feel again. I had to feel again. And Harry wouldn't touch me because of Ron. You were there. You were willing. Plus, my brother had no control over you."

"Convenient shag," Draco said.

"I left your room the next morning without something I walked in with." Ginny moved to the doorway, stilettos clicking against the floor. "But I left with something, rather someone, I didn't go in with."

"Do you regret it?"

Ginny opened the door. "Ask me some other time."

The two agreed before stepping out in the hallway. Ginny was glad that Draco had come looking for her. If he hadn't, she would have surely gotten lost in the complicated maze of the manor. It was absurd how many rooms and hallways one building could have. It was no wonder Draco had been such a brat at school. He had been brought up in more lavishness than Ginny had ever thought.

They walked out onto a patio where a tent was set up, parquet flooring on the floor. The attitude of the outdoor set up was much like the one at the park. Parents dressed in their cocktail best spoke with each other about inconsequential topics. Kids surrounded Serena laughing and trying to coerce her into playing one game or another. The only difference was that their surroundings were far classier and included house-elves and a string quartet.

"Nice," Ginny muttered under her breath. Her eyes shifted from the vases of lilies on every table to the hanging chandelier in the centre of the room. "A little bit more extravagant than my birthday parties but lovely nonetheless."

"Maybe you'll get an invitation to this year's season opening ball," Draco replied. "If you think this is extravagant, you haven't seen anything."

"I doubt it." Ginny smiled as Serena's eyes landed on her. "I wonder what these gossip mongers are going to spread around in the morning."

"Mum!" Serena ran over to Ginny, grabbing her hand. "Come and meet my friends."

"We'll find out in the morning." Draco could see the wheels in the ladies' heads spinning, their eyes drifting from Serena to Draco, finally landing on Ginny. "They're formulating the story to tell the press in their heads as we speak."

Ginny was about to respond. But she was dragged away by Serena towards a group of little girls. Soon, the girls were talking about her dress and her shoes. They made the appropriate noises of liking something as they touched the hem of her dress. They seemed quite taken with her. Ginny soon realized the downfall of this as she was followed around by the group of girls until their parents saw fit to usher them away.

"You and Draco disappeared for a bit." Luna handed her a champagne glass, punch in her own. "Any chance you were shagging each other silly?"

"No," Ginny exclaimed. "We will not be doing that either."

"You did make a beautiful child," Luna pointed out. "No sense in stopping the continuation of your line there."

"I agree." Pansy waltzed up to the two talking girls with a glass in her hand. "You might be able to steal him away from that harpy."

"I didn't know he was dating someone," Ginny said. She glanced at Draco, who was busy having a discussion with his parents. "Who is she?"

"Tracey Davis," Pansy said, distaste evident in her voice. "What he sees in that pushy bint is beyond me. She holds conversation as well as a table."

"She irks me," Luna said. "The other day, she told me Xavier liked flowers too much. I almost hexed her to Africa. But Blaise stopped me."

"Where is Xavier?" Ginny observed a group of little boys huddled together in a corner. "Is he over there?"

"The little boy with black hair and blue eyes," Luna said, a grin on her face as Xavier was pushed by his friends towards Serena. "Pansy and I think that he has a crush on Serena. But, of course, Draco and Blaise, being the overprotective men they are, don't want to hear about it or condone it."

"They would make a cute couple," Pansy confessed with a shrug. "We'll have to wait a few years."

"Are you ladies joining the gossipers?"

"No," Luna said, an arm landing on her husband's shoulder. "We're simply ironing out the details of Xavier and Serena's wedding."

"Serena will be kept locked in a tower until she's thirty," Blaise growled. "She will not be talking to any boys."

"Oh come off it, Blaise," Pansy said. "You very well know that no one is going to stop the boys from knocking on Draco's door. Serena will be absolutely gorgeous when she grows older. At least we know what kind of man Xavier will grow into."

"Stop planning my daughter's future." Ginny emptied her champagne glass, eyes following Serena as she climbed under a table with Xavier. "What do you think they're doing under the table?"

"Who is under the table?" Draco came over to the group, raising an eyebrow. "It's a bit improper."

Luna shot Draco an amused expression. "Your daughter and my son are under the table."

"What?"

"You're drawing attention to yourself, Draco." Pansy laid a hand on his arm. "They're just kids. They don't know about the things that adults would do under a table given the chance."

"I don't know about you, Pansy. But I don't make a habit to shag anyone under a table," Draco replied. "That's probably why your relationships don't work."

"Draco!" The shrill voice made more than one person cringe. "I had almost forgotten the party was today."

"Did you get distracted by all the gifts you were choosing for Draco to buy, Davis?" Pansy sneered at the tall blonde attaching herself to Draco. "Or maybe it was the unflatteringly large diamonds you insist on wearing to casual affairs."

"Do I hear a hint of jealousy, Parkinson?" Tracey Davis was tall, slim and, at the moment, very vindictive. Though, she struck Ginny as a very vapid woman. "It is common knowledge that you had a thing for Draco. Perhaps you still do."

Pansy's hand clenched around her glass, her mouth opening to say something, but Draco wouldn't have it. "If you two ruin Serena's party, I will make sure neither one of you are happy for the rest of your days."

"Pansy, come with me." Blaise led Pansy away from the group. "You look like you need a stiff drink."

"Who is this, Draco?"

"Tracey, meet, Ginevra Weasley." Draco hesitated before speaking once more. "This is Serena's mother."

"You reproduced with a Weasley!" Tracey's high-pitched shriek drew the attention of the guests. "The thought sickens me. How could you sink so low?"

"Excuse me?" Ginny glared at the skinny blonde.

"Ginny, maybe we should let them talk," Luna suggested quietly. "Come on."

"That's right Loony. Take her away." Tracey waved the two away with her hand. "I don't want her near Draco."

"That isn't your decision to make," Draco said furiously. "And have some decorum. You're making a scene."

"You shagged a Weasley, Draco." Tracey was in hysterics. "You're lucky I haven't stormed out of here."

Several of the parents gasped at the crude language, their children looking on with curiosity. As the conversation continued, parents began to usher their children inside, a look of astonishment on their faces. Narcissa and Lucius tried their best to do damage control, moving everyone inside faster. Pansy, Blaise, Luna and Ginny remained outside with the arguing pair.

"You've turned the party into a spectacle, Tracey." Draco sneered at her. "Do you understand how much damage control I'll have to do?"

"I don't care about damage control," Tracey yelled. "I thought you said Serena's mother was dead."

"I thought she was," Draco deadpanned.

"How could you think she was dead?" Tracey waved her hands about. "I'm going to be the laughingstock at tea tomorrow. Everyone will know that you shagged a Weasley. I'll be humiliated."

"You humiliated my daughter," Draco said, the twitch of his jaw betraying the calmness in his voice. "The parents are going to have a fit."

"I don't care." Tracey huffed. "In fact, I'm leaving. I left a list at the jewellers for when you're ready to make up with me."

Pansy watched as Tracey stomped into the house, a laugh escaping her. "She is bloody hilarious."

"She leaves lists with the jewellers?" Luna smiled at Blaise. "Maybe I should take a leaf from her book, Blaise."

"She also leaves lists with her dress designer," Draco muttered. "I have to choose which store to go to."

"I'm sorry," Ginny whispered. "I didn't think this would be so much trouble."

"Did you think it would be butterflies and cupcakes?"

Ginny laughed. "Butterflies and cupcakes, I never thought the day would come."

"You're laughing at my pain," Draco complained.

"Draco, buy her the nice diamond necklace she wants." Blaise clapped him on his back. "She'll be back to shagging your brains out in no time."

"Unless you don't want her to be shagging your brains out," Luna mused. "In which case, you should thank Ginny."

"Which one will it be, Draco?" Pansy shoved a glass of Firewhisky in his hand. "Will you be buying the diamond or saying thank you?"

"Serena will be wondering where we are," Ginny said, feeling sorry for Draco. "And I'm sure Draco needs to speak with all the parents about his display."

"Very true," Draco said. "If you four don't mind, there are other pressing matters at hand."

"I can't wait to have tea with Tracey tomorrow," Pansy said with a smile. She looped her arm through Ginny's. "You have brought fun into our lives once more, Weasley."

"Can we send everyone home with cake?" Ginny looked at the six-tiered chocolate confection she had baked. "It seems like a waste."

"Did you make the truffles?"

"Yes," Ginny said with a nod. "I keep batches of chocolate truffles with me at all times. It's my favourite."

"Have you ever tried seducing someone with a chocolate truffle?" Pansy grinned.