Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Adventure by RowlingIdol
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Adventure

RowlingIdol

The Adventure

By RowlingIdol

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. I don't own the song `Love Story'. This chapter contains slight language, teen drinking and sexual references. Review if you wish! They are most appreciated.

Authors Note- Sorry this took a while. I blame it on costume making, Pokemon battling, and The Sims 3 and just life in general.

Chapter 10: Love Story

"I am so… Sorry." Ginny apologized for about the millionth time. Lucius continued to pretend not to hear her.

"Can someone remove these people out of my sight?" Lucius snapped at Madam Pomfrey.

"Yes. We would like our privacy." Narcissa said, nodding to the nurse.

"I think that's our cue." Mr. Weasley said gently to his family, putting a hand on his wife's shoulder and steering her towards the door of the Hospital Wing, the rest of the clan following suit.

After the family had exited the room, Lucius shifted uncomfortably in the bed he was situated in. It was quite embarrassing to be stuck in a school hospital wing of all places after having a minor heart attack.

"I told you eating a pound of bacon each morning for breakfast was not good for you." Narcissa told Lucius.

He harrumphed, crossed his arms in a grumpy manor, and turned his head away from her. Narcissa sighed out of annoyance.

"Let me see your arm please Mr. Malfoy." Madam Pomfrey said, reaching for him with a syringe in hand.

Lucius reluctantly held out his right arm and Madam Pomfrey injected a small amount of liquid into it.

"What's that supposed to do." Draco asked, curious.

"It should help unclog some of his arteries. A pound of bacon each day you say?" Madam Pomfrey asked Narcissa, an eyebrow raising. Narcissa glared at the nurse for listening in while Lucius glared at his wife.

Madam Pomfrey's mouth turned down in frustration and she stalked back to her office, muttering something that sounded like `ungrateful criminal'.

After Lucius was confident that Madam Pomfrey was plenty out of earshot, he turned his attention to his son.

"I trusted you with that item Draco. What are you doing giving it to…. To…. To that Weasley girl?"

"You told me I needed to get serious."

"Not about a Weasley!"

"You told me I had to give it to her."

"I would never have told you to give it to whomever you were seeing if I knew it was a WEASLEY!"

"I tried to tell you but you wouldn't listen!"

"You should have made me listen!"

Draco sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

"You know…. You're right…." Draco muttered, nodding his head. "I should have."

Lucius looked smug at this confession.

"But I didn't want to."

The look was wiped off Lucius' face.

"Draco! What are you saying?" Narcissa asked shocked.

"You take that heirloom back!" Lucius rasped, face going red.

A sudden beeping sound surrounded the family and Madam Pomfrey quickly emerged from her office.

"Out! You're raising his blood pressure!" Madam Pomfrey snapped at Draco. She tapped Lucius' hospital bed with her wand and the beeping stopped.

"You need to rest!" Madam Pomfrey demanded of Lucius, glaring at him, hands on her hips.

"What I need-" Lucius gasped. "Is to get that broach back from that blood traitor before she pawns it off!"

"There will be NO such language in my hospital wing!" Madam Pomfrey shouted, pointing her wand at Lucius. "Now do I need to give you a sleeping draught or will you go to rest quietly?"

Lucius just glared at her, breathing heavily. He shot Draco a dirty look.

"Come on Mother." Draco said, holding out his hand to his mother. Narcissa frowned but stood up from her seat. Lucius grumbled when Narcissa gently kissed his forehead before departing the room.

~*~*~*~

"Draco. You can NOT be serious." Narcissa said once they were out in the hall.

"Do you have any objections to her besides her lack of wealth?" Draco asked.

"Draco!" Narcissa hissed.

"Answer my question." Draco asked his mother. Narcissa fiddled with her dress and did not look at him.

"Mother…."

Narcissa still refused to answer. Draco instantly knew she was hiding something.

"Mother! You KNEW! You knew and you didn't tell me." Draco paused. "You didn't tell Father!"

Narcissa bit her lip.

"How did you find out?" Draco asked.

"Well… I met with some lady friends for tea the other day. One of them heard from Blaise's mother, who heard from Blaise….."

"I'm going to kill him." Draco muttered.

"All I knew was that she said according to Blaise, you were getting close with a red head. I never suspected her to be a Weasley."

"She can't help it." Draco defended.

"I understand that. But your Father…."

"He doesn't approve." Draco finished.

"I don't need to explain his reasons to you." She said.

"But why can't he now? Our family has a bad reputation. We no longer have the connections we used to. We aren`t hurting anyone. Intentionally." Draco added.

"Your point is valid Draco but your Father will not listen." Narcissa said, shaking her head yet again.

"You're listening to me." Draco pointed out. Narcissa patted with her hair.

"Yes well….."

"Have you no objection other than your belief in my indifference?" Draco asked.

After a long moment Narcissa gave her reply.

"If she makes you happy…." she trailed off. Draco let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you Mother." Draco said, trying not to smile.

"You must deal with your Father though." Narcissa said, pointing a finger at Draco.

"Yes mother." Draco said.

"I'm going back in to check on him." Narcissa said. She gave Draco a kiss on the cheek before heading back into the Hospital Wing.

~*~*~*~

The Weasleys sat quietly in the Gryffindor common room.

"I don't get it." Bill said, shaking his head.

"I do!" Fleur interjected.

"You do?" George asked surprised.

"His looks of course!" Fleur stated.

Bill groaned and rolled his eyes.

"It's always about vanity with you, isn't it?" Bill asked his wife.

"Of course not! But don't you see it? Ginny and I must have good taste in men, yes?" Fleur asked, patting Bill's knee and winking at Ginny. Bill just grumbled.

"I still don't get it and I've known longer than the rest of you." Ron made a point.

"I wish you wouldn't keep secrets Ginny dear." Mrs. Weasley told Ginny.

"And YOU Ronald! You shouldn't keep them either! How could you not tell us?" she snapped, turning on Ron.

"Me? Why am I getting yelled at now?" Ron whined.

"Ron hush!" Hermione said, tugging at his arm.

"Take into consideration my dears." Mr. Weasley began. "The Malfoy's didn't know about this either."

"Serves him right." Mrs. Weasley said. "That man is so vile and rude!"

"I believe we all agree to that."

There was more silence.

"And what do YOU have to say about all this young lady?" Mrs. Weasley asked Ginny.

Ginny just shrugged.

"How could you like that boy? Harry is SO much nicer." Mrs. Weasley said, lowering her voice when speaking about Harry.

"He's different Mum." Ginny said. "His family doesn't have any connections anymore. They are no better than us now."

"They're still filthy stinking rich." Ron put in.

"Hey we're not so bad off anymore thanks to the joke shop." George said. "We make plenty of money to help the family out, Fred and….." He cut himself off.

There was a collective sigh from the group at the mention of Fred. Mr. Weasley broke the silence by clearing his throat.

"Well, regardless of ones earnings, we all need to support each other. No matter what the circumstances. Right Weasleys?" Mr. Weasley asked.

There was a grumble of agreement from around the room.

"Right." Mr. Weasley said, giving a wink to Ginny, who gave him a small smile.

"Can we go home now?" Ron complained.

~*~*~*~

There was a soft knock on the door to the Hospital Wing. Even though it was a public room, Ginny still felt the need to knock.

Madam Pomfrey opened the door, a confused look on her face. She frowned when she saw it was Ginny.

"Good luck. He's awake." She whispered to Ginny as she walked past the nurse into the room.

Ginny took a deep breath before walking toward the far corner of the room where Lucius still lay on his hospital bed. Narcissa and Draco were seated on each side of the bed. Lucius was sipping soup from a bowl on a tray propped across his legs.

"This soup is absolutely disgusting." Lucius commented, letting the spoon fall with a clatter into his bowl.

"It's good for you my dear." Narcissa said gently.

"It's putrid, that's what it is." He said. He looked up, seeing Ginny standing near the foot of his bed.

"What do you want." He snapped, though not as harshly as he could have. Narcissa and Draco turned in their seats towards her.

"I….. Wanted to apologize…." Ginny began, wringing her hands.

"It's not your fault dear." Narcissa suddenly spoke up. Lucius' long hair nearly went into his bowl of soup as his head whipped towards his wife.

"Narcissa!" Lucius snapped at her.

"I didn't mean to cause any trouble." Ginny said.

"On the contrary, you have." Lucius growled.

"Believe me sir, it was in no way intentional."

"That remains to be seen." Lucius replied.

"Father, please…" Draco began, eyes flicking between Ginny and Lucius.

"Be quiet Draco." Lucius said, starting straight at Ginny. She swallowed hard.

"So. Miss Weasley." Lucius drawled.

"Ginevra." Ginny said.

"Ginevra…. Hmm…" He crossed his arms and continued to stare at her.

"Turn around." He nearly barked.

It took a moment for the command to sink in but Ginny moved to turn around.

`Not so fast!" Lucius snapped.

Ginny turned slowly as if she was on a moving pedestal.

"Turn to the right." Lucius said, motioning with his hands. Ginny obeyed.

"Now the left." Lucius said.

Ginny suppressed a sigh and turned the other way.

"You may stop." Lucius said, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Narcissa." Lucius said, continuing to stare at Ginny.

"Yes my love." Narcissa said, touching her husbands shoulder gently.

"Opinion." Lucius snapped.

"A little too much weight for her height." Narcissa said, looking Ginny up and down.

"Oh Merlin. Please Mother." Draco begged his Mother, giving his parents pleading looks.

"Her face is agreeable." Narcissa continued.

"Barely tolerable I say." Lucius inputted. "Apparently handsome enough to tempt Draco."

The Malfoys looked towards their son who stared blankly back.

"Ginevra." Lucius drawled.

Ginny shuffled her feet.

"Yes sir?"

"Stand up straight when you are spoken to!" Lucius demanded. Ginny straightened her pose.

"Chin up." He ordered.

Ginny refrained from rolling her eyes but obeyed, lifting her chin slightly.

"It seems my son has made you an offer." Lucius said, clasping his hands together in his lap.

"Excuse me sir?"

"An offer of impending engagement." Lucius said, breaking his eye contact with Ginny to glare at Draco who refused to look at Ginny.

"I'm afraid I don't understand… Sir." Ginny replied.

"Don't pretend to be ignorant of the fact. You are wearing the family crest."

Ginny looked down at the broach that was pinned to the front of her sweater.

"Oh."

It all seemed to make sense now. All the comments Blaise had thrown around regarding the broach were coming to light.

"Keep in mind Ginevra, that as much as I would like to ask for the crest back, I can not."

Lucius glared at Draco again.

"So. Let us make some things clear." Lucius said, tapping his fingertips together in a plotting manner.

"You will dress appropriately when attending dinners at the Manor. Speak only when spoken to. You are granted limited displays of affection, absolutely NONE in my presence, and definitely NO discussion of past events and acquaintances, yes? I don't believe I need to explain whom I`m speaking of."

Ginny blinked several times.

"Yes…. Sir." She slowly replied.

"Remove yourself from my sight." Lucius said, turning his head away from her and fanning her away as if she was a fly.

Ginny turned quickly and hurried out of the room, Draco hot on her heels.

~*~*~*~

"Ginny wait!" Draco called after her, clambering down a staircase after her. She was moving rather quickly despite the fact that she was wearing heels.

"Slow down! We need to talk!" He shouted. Luckily, by this time of day, all of the students had gone home for winter break. His booming voice echoed around the staircases.

Draco finally caught up to her outside the Great Hall, grabbing her arm to pull her towards him.

"Let me go Draco!" Ginny cried, tears running down her face.

"Not until you listen!" He said, turning her around.

"You didn't tell me the truth!" Ginny spat, still struggling to get out of his hold.

"You're right. I didn't." Draco replied calmly.

"Why would you do this?" Ginny choked out, giving up the fight to get out of Draco's grasp.

Draco stared down at her watery brown eyes and felt his heart crack at the betrayal he had dragged her into.

"You're right." Draco repeated. "I lied."

"That is a BIG lie Draco Malfoy." Ginny said, bottom lip severely quivering. "A SERIOUS lie."

"The broach is an engagement tradition within my family." Draco admitted. Ginny opened her mouth but Draco quickly cut her off.

"BUT- I chose to give it to you as means of what I told you, as means of a promise and that I care about you and I am serious about what we have. I did in no means propose to you."

"Your father seems to think so." Ginny said grumpily.

"Yes. Because he knows what the family crests are used for."

"Why did you use to for something else?" Ginny asked, stepping back from Draco, who had released her arms.

"He wanted me to pass it on but… I'm not ready for an engagement. You're not either. That's why you were trying to get away."

Ginny bit her lip.

"It's not that I don't want to…. Maybe someday….." Ginny started but she trailed off. Draco could tell by the flush in her cheeks as she brushed the tears from her face what she meant.

"I know." Draco said, stepping back from her, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Me too."

After a moment of silence, except for Ginny's sniffing, Draco spoke again.

"If I was going to….. I would do it the modern way. With rings."

Ginny sniffed, blushed again, and nodded her head in understanding.

"Sorry I lied." Draco said, not looking at her.

"It's okay. Sorry I ran." ginny said shuffling her scuffed shoes.

"Sorry for my Father. He….. Has high standards."

"Oh I'm well aware." Ginny said.

"Yes well…." Draco said, trailing off.

"As soon as Madam Pomfrey says its all right, we are headed home for the holiday. I suppose you will be too."

"Yes."

"You know we never did discuss what we would do after I left…" Draco said.

Ginny's eyes began to water again.

"But…. I talked to my father. Pick out a nice dress. You are welcome to our Christmas Eve party at the manor."

"Really? A Christmas party? At your house?"

"Mother likes to play hostess." Draco said, slightly rolling his eyes.

Ginny wiped a few tears from her eyes again.

"So what do you say? Yes?" Draco asked her.

She nodded and giggled, a few more tears dripping down her cheeks.

"Yes." she replied.

"We can discuss the future then okay? I will send you an owl with the details."

He reached down and grabbed one of her hands and gently squeezed it.

"Love you." He mumbled.

~*~*~*~

Ginny arrived at the Malfoy Manor via a Portkey, the invitation the Draco had sent her.

She had on a old, worn tarter patterned pea coat over her party dress. It wasn't the most current style of dress, but it still was nice. She had worn it only a few times. It was her go-to party dress, it being the nicest dress she had owned, prior to the masquerade dress.

It was a happy green color. Not bright green, a slightly dark grass green color, with a somewhat wide neckline, and short sleeves. It was made of soft velvet material and it fit nicely at her waist. The bottom of the dress poofed out nicely, but the tool underneath was slightly itchy and she could already feel one of her stockings beginning to slump down her leg. She had borrowed some shoes from Hermione. None of her own shoes were the right height for the dress. The dress wasn't floor length, it fell inches above her ankle, but it wasn't obviously too short for her.

She blew into her wool mittens to keep her hands warm as she approached the door of the Manor.

She lifted the heavy dragon head door knocker and knocked three times.

After a minute, a house elf strained to pull open the large heavy door open.

"Welcome miss!" The elf squeaked.

Draco appeared from behind the elf.

"Move." He told it, neither rudely nor nicely. She scurried away with a low bow.

"Merry Christmas…. Well, almost…." Ginny said, stepping into the foyer of the Manor.

"Same to you." Draco said. Draco was wearing a dark, almost black looking, suit with a crisp white shirt underneath the jacket. His tie was just a few shades lighter than his suit.

He took his coat from her and another elf came and took it.

He leaned down and kissed her gently.

"Ahem!"

Ginny quickly leaned away from Draco, clearly knowing who had interrupted.

"I see your guest has arrived Draco?" Lucius asked from the hallway. He was wearing a long velvet robe. It was a handsome forest green color, though not as dark as the color of Draco's suit. The fabric matched Ginny's, much to Lucius dismay, though his was of much better quality. It had fancy gold trim.

"Ginevra. Good evening." Narcissa said, perched on Lucius arm, giving a short nod to Ginny. She was wearing a cranberry red dress that was floor length and had long graceful sleeves. She had sparkly gold heels peeking out from the bottom of the dress that matched the trim of Lucius' robe.

"Good evening. Merry Christmas." Ginny replied politely.

The four of the stood awkwardly in the foyer until another knock on the door signaled the arrival of ore guests.

"What are you standing there for? Answer the door!" Lucius barked at a hovering house elf. The elf gave a small squeak and rushed to the door.

"Well….. Don't you look…… Festive." Lucius said with a slight sneer to Ginny.

She looked down at her outfit. She hadn't thought about how red and green she looked, especially with her hair and dress combination.

"Thank you?" Ginny replied.

Narcissa gave another nod to Ginny as she and Lucius moved to greet the older couple who had just arrived. Draco put his hand on her shoulders and steered her towards the Christmas tree that stood in the sitting area near the winding staircase.

"I'm glad you came." He whispered into his ear. He gave her another kiss on the side of her head.

"Draco….." Came a warning tone from Lucius.

~*~*~*~

The party began to get lively with more and more guests arriving every minute. The smell of food cooking in the kitchen was wafting throughout the Manor, making everyone hungry. Draco stood by Ginny`s side the entire time they walked around, greeting guests and making conversation.

"Well, I had to see it to believe it." came a smug voice from behind Ginny. Ginny turned around, Draco following suit.

"Parkinson." Ginny said curtly to Pansy.

"Its Karkaroff now." Pansy said with a toss of her head. She turned to the tall man next to her and looped her arm with his.

"This is Sovereign Karkaroff, my husband." She sniffed.

"Pleazed to meet you both." Sovereign said with a nod of his head.

Sovereign definitely resembled a much younger Igor Karkaroff, with the dark hair, hallowed face, and of course, the bird like nose that hooked dangerously at the end.

"Too bad you couldn't make it to the wedding Drakey-poo." Pansy told Draco. "Then again…." she said looking Ginny up and down.

"If she would have been your `plus one' then maybe it's a good thing you didn't attend." Pansy said sneering at Ginny, wrinkling her pug-like nose.

Draco rolled his eyes.

"Pahnzee be nice my love." Sovereign told her, nuzzling her hair with his beak-like nose.

"Oh Sov-sov, don't worry. I'm playing nice." She said, patting her husbands arm.

"Fetch me something to drink. Non alcoholic, remember? Or else your mother is going to get on my case again." Pansy said annoyed, waving her husband away.

"Right away." Sovereign said, pecking Pansy's cheek with a kiss before retreating towards the buffet.

That's when Draco noticed something very different about Pansy.

"So when was I going to hear you were knocked up?" Draco asked Pansy. She beamed at the question.

"Four months along! Don't I look FABULOUS?" Pansy said, turning side to side in her dress, letting her baby bump show. Draco grimaced.

She had looked frumpy upon entering the party, but Draco had thought it was due to the white fur trimmed coat she wore.

"Didn't you get married in October?" Ginny spoke up. The look of happiness was wiped off Pansy's face.

"Yes." Pansy snapped.

Draco stifled a laugh.

"What's so funny?" Pansy snapped again, this time at Draco.

"Nothing." Draco said, struggling to stop the smile playing at his lips.

"I wouldn't be laughing Drakey-poo." Pansy said, poking a finger at his chest, wrinkling his tie. "I'm not the one dating a WEASLEY."

"At least I'm not dating a bird." Draco shot back.

Ginny sniggered as Pansy grew red in the face.

"Pahnzee I have returned vith your drink." Sovereign said, handing his wife a glass of punch. She nearly spilled the drink over her husband as she snatched it quickly out of his hand. She stalked off haughtily, Sovereign quickly trotting after her, very confused.

"Come, dinner is almost ready." Draco whispered in Ginny's ear, putting his hand on the small of her back and leading her towards one of the dining rooms.

People were already taking their places in the dining room.

Lucius sat looking grumpy in his velvet green robe at the head of the table. Narcissa was hissing instructions to a house elf before looking up cheerily at the guests filing in the room.

Draco took his seat, to the left of his father at the table. Draco then nodded to his left, indicating Ginny sit there.

"There you are Draco! You and Ginevra should have been seated ten minutes ago!" Narcissa said, to the two of them, cloth napkins magically appearing on their laps.

"Our apologies, Mother. We got to chatting with Pansy and her new husband."

"Ah yes! Speaking of the Karkaroffs, there they are now." Narcissa said, waving to a couple who had just entered the dining room. Lucius continued to frown.

A man that could have been Igor Karkaroff walked down the side of the long table. He looked almost identical to Igor except for the fact that his hair was shorter and he wasn't as thin. The lady perched on his arm had a snooty face and brown hair tied tight in a bun. She wore a coat similar to the one pansy wore, except this one was gray and not white.

"Loochus!" Vlad Karkaroff nearly cheered, making his way closer to the head of the table.

"Vlad." Lucius said, barely moving his head in a nod.

"Loochus, surely yoo rememver my vife, Svidanniya." Vlad said, indicating the woman on his arm.

"Of course. How to do you do." Lucius said.

"Vonderful thanks." Svidanniya said.

"Please take your seats!" Narcissa said.

The Karkaroffs sat down next to Narcissa, with Pansy and Sovereign sitting further down the table.

After all the guests had been seated, two short lines of house elves entered the room, all carrying great silver platters above their heads. They quickly ushered them into place on the long table and then with a loud snap, the lids of the platters disappeared and the fresh food was revealed to the guests.

Murmurs of delight continued to fill the room as people helped themselves to the feast.

"Loochus. Yoo did not tell me there vere red heads in the family line. Or iz eet pearhaps on your vifes side?" Vlad asked while cutting his veal, giving curious side glances to Ginny.

Lucius started to go red in the face. Narcissa cleared her throat.

"Vladimir, Ginevra is Draco's gir…. Ah… Um…. Date." She said, trying not to look at Ginny.

"I see! Vell, Ginezvra."

"It's Ginevra." Ginny corrected.

"Yes. That iz vat I said. Ginezvra. Now, tell me child. Did you attend Hogvorts?"

"Yes. I graduate this spring."

"My Sovereign vas top student at Durmstrang. You know of Durmstrang? Yes yes. I am sure you do. Almost as soon as he had started school, he vas flying to the top of his class!"

"Flying huh?" Ginny asked sarcastically, a twinkle in her eye as she imagined the bird like Sovereign sitting on a perch instead of a desk in class. Draco gave her a nudge and a look that said `watch what you are saying!'.

"Yes of course! Though everybody suspected eet vas because Sovereign was the nephew of Durmstrangs late headmaster, my brozzer Igor."

Vlad now turned back to Lucius.

"Loochus! Vie did you not send Draco to Durmstrang? All that trouble at Hogvorts…. None of that vould have happened at Durmstrang."

"It was Narcissa's decision." Lucius said curtly, desperately wanting to avoid the topic of the war.

"Ah." Vlad said. He had a look on his face that made it clear that he thought Lucius was being rude, as he was.

"Ginezvra. Were you in the same house as my Sovereigns Pahnzee?" Vlad asked, nodding down the table at Sovereign and Pansy who were sitting next to an elderly wizard whose dentures had fallen out into his blood pudding.

"Ah…." Ginny said, her eyes flicking to Lucius. His left eye twitched.

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees." Ginny lied. Draco coughed.

"Ah! Yes yes! So you know all about zee bebe?"

"Yes. She spoke to us about that before dinner."

"Oh! She is expecting?" Narcissa piped up. Lucius rolled his eyes.

"Yes my dear Narcissa! Danniya and I expect a healthy bebe boy! Us Karkaroffs have a history of males as strong as the Malfoys, did you know?"

"No. I was not aware of that fact." Narcissa said.

"I'd hate to see what kind of nose the kid gets." Ginny blurted out, unable to keep her inner thoughts to herself anymore.

There was a sputtering noise, the kind made from choking on a drink and trying not to laugh. Ginny turned to her right to see if Draco was alright but he was perfectly okay. He was focused on his father at the head of the table, dabbing at his wet chin.

"Good heavens!" Narcissa said. She snapped her fingers and a house elf appeared and quickly cleaned up the spilt drink.

Ginny couldn't help but smile a little. Lucius gave her a look, a small light in his eyes, but it quickly faded.

"When is dessert?" He quickly asked.

~*~*~*~

After the dessert, everyone returned to the main hall where a troupe of elves in bright festive green outfits were setting up chairs and instruments.

"For the dancing." Draco said, leaning in close to Ginny after seeing her curious stares.

"Dancing?" Ginny asked.

"Mother is very fond of there being dancing at her parties." He explained.

Lucius and Narcissa walked past them out of the dining room and into the main hall. Draco nodded quickly to his Father who did not return the gesture.

The guests were milling about, striking up conversation with fellow acquaintances. The house elves who had brought the dinner trays were now carefully bustling about with trays of hot chocolate and marshmallows, offering them to the guests.

"Ah! Draco!!! Good to see you boy. Its been…. A while."

A large blonde man approached the two, with two mugs of cocoa, one in each hand.

"I'd shake your hand but…" Draco said to the man.

"Quite all right m'boy!" The man said, taking a sip from one mug, then the other.

"You remember me right? Carter McLaggen. You may know my boy Cormac? Of course you weren't in the same house…."

"Yes sir. Thank you for attending." Draco said politely.

"And who is this?" Carter said, taking another sip of cocoa.

"Miss Ginevra Weasley." Draco said, taking a hold Ginny's elbow and scooting her forward.

"A WEASLEY! Pleasure to meet you. And your father? How is he?" Carter said, his head bobbing up and down, cocoa misting the bottom of his moustache.

"He is well thank you."

"Good. Good. Send them my best. Draco." Carter said turning back to Draco.

"Could I interest you in some business conversation? Your father mentioned how you are at a crossroads when it comes to a career….."

"Of course Carter." Draco said.

"Be just a moment dear!" Carter said happily to Ginny. She smiled back politely and nodded.

"I'll be back." Draco said quietly, nodding to her.

"Have fun." Ginny said as Carter and Draco walked towards the Christmas tree, Carter still drinking from both mugs.

Ginny took the last sip of her cocoa from her mug and set it down quickly on the tray of a passing house elf in his way to the kitchens.

The general splendor of the Malfoy Manor was breathtaking. It was bright and cheerful, a complete turn around from this summer. She imagined Narcissa made a great effort in planning the remodel of the house, not necessarily in the work it took.

She clasped her hands together behind her back and began to wander around the room. There were old tapestries and oil paintings hung on the walls, and plush rugs sat underneath several couches and chairs occupied by chatting guests. She passed the Karkaroffs as she wandered around. She caught a nasty glimpse from Pansy but she kept on walking.

A light from a door open a crack piqued her curiosity. She looked behind her to see if anyone was watching as she moved from the main hall to small hallway. She didn't see anyone.

She moved closer to the room and peeked through the crack. With a creak the door opened wider. It was a parlor.

With one last glance over her shoulder, Ginny entered the room. She quietly closed it with a click behind herself.

There was a round coffee table in the middle of the room, an old kerosene lamp flickering in the middle of the table. Bookshelves and glass cases lined the walls, filled with treasures and antiques. Various portraits were placed along the open areas of the wall above the cases.

Obviously the portraits were of family. She couldn't tell if some were of past or current family members. Some were obvious. A picture of Narcissa and Bellatrix on Narcissa's wedding day sat on an end table with a glass vase. Bellatrix sneered at Ginny from the picture, her choice of bridesmaid dress not to Narcissa's taste by the look Narcissa was giving her in the picture. Further along the wall was an old wooden frame of a blonde man with vivid red eyes. Possibly a vampire? Ginny shrugged to herself.

A grand picture of the Malfoy family hung over a crackling fireplace. The three looked very solemn. Neither Draco nor Lucius were smiling or had any hint of happiness in their faces. Narcissa had a small smile on her face but her smile did not meet her eyes. It must have been taken either around Draco's fourth or fifth year.

Ginny took her eyes off the picture and frowned. She could hear people speaking, and it was coming closer.

Voices from the hallway grew louder and the sound of the door opening made Ginny whirl around. Gregory Goyle and Marcus flint were deep in conversation with each other as they entered the parlor.

"It itches something fierce!" Goyle gruffly grumbled, gripping the top of his pants and shifting them side to side slightly.

"I told you she was loose. However, you're too daft to care. It's your own damn fault."

"It feels like dragon breath on my bal---"

Goyle was cut off as Marcus put out an arm to stop him. The movement nearly sent Goyle knocking into a cabinet full of glass ware.

"What's this?" Marcus hissed, realizing they weren't alone in the room.

Ginny stood shocked at the intrusion.

"What's she doing here?" Goyle asked stupidly.

"I was invited." Ginny said. She rarely heard him speak at school and it was startling to see him again after the war. She took a step back.

"Yeah right. You probably snuck in during the party." Goyle snorted.

"What do you think you're doing in here? This is a private room." Marcus asked, taking steps closer to Ginny, Goyle following suit.

"She's probably nicking things to sell, the poor wench." Goyle grunted.

"I'm not stealing anything." Ginny snapped, glaring at the men who were advancing towards her. She took another step back.

"You're not stealing anything? Then why are you wearing the Malfoy crest?" Goyle asked.

"Oh that's right." Marcus said, getting threateningly close to Ginny.

"What's right?" Ginny asked, being pushed closer and closer towards the corner of the room.

"Goyle doesn't know about you and Draco." Marcus said, shooting Goyle a look.

"What? You mean…?" Goyle started, looking between Marcus and Ginny. His eyes narrowed.

"I'm not that stupid." Goyle grumbled, clenching his hands into fists.

"I'm not making it up." Marcus said. "Female Weasel is with Draco. Merlin knows why. "

"You're lying. You just want her for yourself." Goyle said.

"What would I want with a dirt poor blood traitor Goyle?"

"I don't know…. You always are stealing girls at the bar."

"That's because none of them want you Goyle. And the ones that do? Give you CRABS."

Goyle frowned and fidgeted with his pants again.

Marcus turned back to Ginny again and shoved her into the corner.

"Draco never answered my question…." Marcus hissed down to her, his arms pressed up against the wall above her shoulders.

Ginny's eyes narrowed at Marcus.

"You wouldn't dare." Ginny hissed.

"Oh yeah?" Marcus asked, his lips curling up in a menacing manner over his yellowed teeth.

"Try me." He growled.

There was a sudden crashing sound as the doors to the parlor burst open. Ginny gave a panicked look over her shoulder at the new intruder. Marcus turned to look as well and while he was distracted, Ginny whipped out her wand.

"Furnunculus!" Ginny shouted, aiming at Marcus.

Marcus shouted in pain and stumbled back and away from her, clutching at his face as painful boils began sprouting up.

Goyle and Marcus quickly scrambled from the room, leaving Ginny breathing heavily in the corner, clutching her wand with white knuckled hands.

"Hasn't anyone told you it's not polite to snoop around in other peoples homes Miss Weasley?" Lucius drawled from the doorway, staring after the boys who had fled from the parlor.

Ginny drew in a shaky breath.

"I…. I'm sorry…. S-s-sir. I was….. Only looking…. At the pictures." Ginny breathed out. She hurried and put her wand away.

"Hm. Yes, well…" Lucius said, strolling into the parlor and staring at the walls of family portraits, hands in his pockets. He looked around the room, pictures of himself staring right back at him.

"Fidgety child." Lucius commented on a family photo in which clearly a young Draco did not want to be posing for a picture.

"That was the best shot out of them all. The only one where he wasn't crying." Lucius said, turning his head to the side and recalling the memory.

"Of course, this was long before… Well…." He coughed into his gloved hand. He needn't finish his sentence.

"You should return to the party. Draco was looking for you." Lucius said to her, not looking at her.

"Yes sir….. Thank you…." Ginny said, moving out of her corner to dart past Lucius and back to the main hall.

A sharp pinch grabbed her shoulder. Lucius had snagged Ginny's shoulder with the mouth of his snake head cane.

"Don't think because of tonight that I like you Miss Weasley." Lucius said, beginning to lead her out of the parlor with his cane.

"No… No sir." Ginny said, being pushed along the hallway.

"Good. I'm glad we have an understanding." Lucius drawled, lifting the cane from her shoulder.

"Ginny! There you are!" Draco said, hurridly striding over to where Lucius and Ginny had emerged from the hallway.

"Where have you been?" Draco asked, looking between Ginny and his father. Lucius ignored the question.

"Where are Goyle and Flint?" Lucius barked at Draco.

"They ran towards the kitchen. Is everything okay Father?" Draco asked his father, eyebrows furrowing.

Lucius' eyes flicked towards Ginny before he turned on his heel and stalked off in the direction of the kitchens.

~*~*~*~

Authors Note- So I pulled more lines from `Pride and Prejudice' but hey, I can't help it. It's a good movie! And sorry this is really late in getting out. I've had A LOT of things going on since this summer As hinted in the first Authors Note, I was busy with making a costume for TwiTour, then came HBP. After that I got caught up with working, moving to a new apartment, and I had my parents and my fiancé's family visit and then next thing you know it was getting busy at work from all the holiday shoppers. Hopefully everyone will put aside all that and enjoy the story. Please review! I will try to get the next chapter up faster. :) Thanks ya'll!

-->