Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thanks again everyone for the great reviews! We had a few complaints that we were sticking to the "Dirty Dancing" movie storyline too closely. For one thing- if we didn't stick somewhat to the DD storyline, then this wouldn't be a "Dirty Dancing" story. Also the plot point with the wallets is being handled in a different way than they use it in the movie. We've still got a few twists up our sleeves regarding that, so stay reading :)

There were also a few of you guys wondering why we were able to update so often- when we sit down and write, we can manage to punch out a 10-20 page chapter in a few hours cause there's two of us writing it- if we get stuck we bounce ideas until we get unstuck. :)

Amor - Ricky Martin

Amor, only in a dream
I ever thought you'd find me
Amor, fell into a kiss
And left the world behind me

Easy to believe my lies
And never know it
Easier to throw it away
Now I look into her eyes
And I can see it
I know the reason to stay

***

"You've missed dinner," Ginny stretched her body against Draco's, hoping to stir him back up.

"I know," Draco smirked.

"Won't Vernon be angry?" she asked, moving some strands of fine blond hair out of his eyes.

"Are you kidding? I'm his prize employee… I'll tell him I got sick and couldn't get away from the loo." Draco ran his hand over her smooth arm.

"Sneaky git," Ginny couldn't stop her smile as Draco buried his face in her hair. He was here and as far as she was concerned, he was hers now. "Are you going to keep seeing that girl?" she asked suddenly.

"What girl?" Draco was so overpowered by the scent of her locks that he couldn't think straight for a moment.

"That blonde girl," Ginny hated herself for asking but she couldn't help it.

"Lavender?" Draco asked. "Why does it matter?"

Ginny sighed. "You… you just keep coming to me but you're seeing other girls and -"

"Gin, I thought we went over this," Draco shot straight up. "None of this relationship shit, remember?"

"But Draco-" Ginny put her hands on his shoulders. "It's just that…"

"No… don't start this again! What we have going here is perfect." Draco felt a strange ache inside as he spoke.

He turned away from her and Ginny hesitated just a moment before putting her hand on his back. "I just don't understand why you have to continue to see her when you have me."

When he didn't say answer, she decided to ask him the question that had been bothering her since she'd found out about this Lavender person. "Are you shagging her, too?"

"No!" Draco snapped, jumping off her bed. "Why does this matter so much? How many times do I have to remind you that you were the one who decided that this was just going to be sex at the beginning of this holiday?" He ran his hands back through his hair. "And now you just want to change things?"

"I didn't say that," she retorted, watching in dismay as he began to put his clothes back on. "How would you feel if I was seeing some other guy?"

Draco froze. "I... wouldn't care." he said hollowly.

"Because Ron's been telling me for weeks that he could set me up with one of his mates," Ginny lied. Ron hadn't said anything of the sort to her, probably because he figured Ginny would insist on him setting her up with Harry.

"Right, see what the Weasel can get you that's better than me," Draco replied snidely, speaking before he thought about his words.

"What did you just call my brother?" she asked angrily. She might not always see eye to eye with Ron, but he was still family and she wasn't about to let Draco get away with insulting him.

"The Weasel... same as I always did when we were all in school together," Draco sneered.

Ginny rolled her eyes and then wrapping the sheet tightly around her got out of bed and walked over to her door and swung it open. "Leave then. Go back to your Lavender and have her clean up your bruises and stroke your ego. I don't want the job anymore."

Draco was slack jawed as she pushed him onto her small porch. "You're not supposed to kick me out!"

"What did you expect?" she asked angrily. "You treat me like you do and I'm just supposed to lie there and take it. Well, you underestimated me. If you don't want to be with me and only me, I'll find someone who will and you'll be where you were meant to be...alone."

She then turned on her heel and slammed the door firmly behind her.

*** *** ***

Hermione shook her head as she carefully used her wand to clean up Harry's bloody lip. "I don't understand why you had to get yourself into a fight… he was obviously looking to provoke you and it worked."

"He was insulting you," Harry replied as she wiped at his chin with a clean cloth.

"He was being a stupid git, but you didn't need to overreact like you did." Hermione said firmly. "Harry… we talked about trying not to draw attention to ourselves and here you go getting in a fight. Did you see how many employees were gathered around looking at us? They know I don't work here!"

"They aren't going to say anything," Harry tried to reassure her.

"Do you know that for sure?" Hermione asked a bit snappishly.

"I know pretty much everyone that works here. They aren't going to report me." Harry said in a louder tone.

Hermione sighed as she sat down on the edge of his bed. "I just... I don't want…" she put her head in her hands.

Harry pulled her over so her forehead rested against his shoulder. "I know," he said quietly.

"We just have to be careful," Hermione said, her voice shaking slightly. "This place is bad enough with Dudley and Draco around, but if you were gone it'd be unbearable."

"I'm not going anywhere," Harry wrapped his arms around her tightly.

Hermione let herself relax in his embrace for a moment. "I have to go," she said. "I should show up at dinner for damage control in case Draco shows up."

"Good idea," Harry reluctantly let her go. "What time will you be coming back tonight?"

"I'm not sure, whenever we get out of dinner." Hermione replied. "You'll have to take it easy on me tonight Potter," her tone turned teasing.

Harry grinned. "Don't count on it Granger."

*** *** ***

Ron grasped Luna's hands in his, surprised at how clammy they were. "Are you going to be all right?" he asked, concerned.

She didn't reply and suddenly felt the need to sit down. In light of Cho being out for the next few days, she and Ron were now expected to lead the dancing and their first performance as it was, would be tonight. Harry would be there, too, but mainly for moral support and to help the guests.

Luna had been dreading this and hadn't told Ron because she didn't want to make him nervous too. He didn't have to be a rocket scientist to see she was terrified.

"Let me guess... you'd rather face a herd of crumple horned snorkacks than do this?" Ron tried to joke.

She nodded and let go of his hands and began pacing in front of the doors. "It's not you, Ron," she said, looking over at him. "It's me. I told you that I have some sort of performance anxiety. I would be perfectly happy just teaching. Maybe it's not too late to get Cho. She looked a little better this afternoon, don't you think? I'm sure Harry would lead her real slow across the dance floor. In fact, why don't you and I go get her now?" She walked toward the exit not waiting for Ron.

"Hey!" Ron caught up to her and blocked the door. "Cho's recovering... the doctor told her she's on complete bed rest for another week before she can even start walking around." Ron put his hands on her shoulders. "Come on Luna... you taught me everything I need to know in just a few simple weeks. Doesn't that tell you anything about your skill?"

"You're right," she said, smiling. "And it's not like I'm going out there alone, right?"

"Nope," Ron said. "Not alone. I'll probably goof up out there and you'll just have to cover for me."

She laughed. "Now do you see why I was put in Ravenclaw and not Gryffindor?"

Ron laughed. "That's the Loony Lovegood I know," she noticed that his tone was joking now, unlike the sarcasm that she'd heard from him in school.

She didn't honestly know what she'd do if he wasn't with her being supportive like this, she was about to lean in and give him a quick kiss but she heard the doors opening and she sprung back from Ron.

"Are you two going to get out here anytime soon?" Vernon Dursley said angrily. "I'm not paying you to dance in the lobby, am I?"

"Sorry sir," Ron said nervously, grasping Luna's hand. He gave her an apologetic look as they walked directly into the spotlight, the ballroom filled with guests ready to watch them dance.

She plastered a smile on her face and gripped his hand tightly as they made their way onto the floor. As they did so, she saw Harry, who gave her a reassuring wink. She resisted the urge to mouth the words, "Help me", to him as they passed.

"Ron, I don't think I can do this," she whispered through clenched teeth.

"We have to," Ron whispered. He saw Harry give him a thumbs up and widen his eyes as if telling them to start. "Come on... lead!"

Luna began to move her feet and heard the collective whispers of the crowd. She put her arms on Ron's shoulder and they began to waltz. She saw Ron trying to count the steps as they moved and she felt an overwhelming sense of adoration for him. For the first time since they stepped on the floor, she felt comfortable and she began to move as if she was floating on air.

Ron breathed a sigh of relief as he watched Luna relax. He took over the lead from her, stumbling slightly on his large feet. "Sorry," he whispered as he spun her around, her skirt flaring out and showing off her legs.

"It's okay," she whispered back. "You're doing fine."

Ron readied her for another spin, but he pushed her too hard and her knee twisted.

"Owww," she said, trying to quickly regain her balance, but she immediately felt the tenderness in her knee. She saw Ron stop moving, but she shook him off. "I'll be fine. Just finish."

Ron felt his face flame to the tips of his ears but he concentrated hard until the music faded away. The applause that followed wasn't as thunderous as it would be for Harry and Cho but it was his first day... things were bound to get better.

Luna smiled at the crowd as she and Ron took their bows. She rubbed her knee as they turned to face the other side of the room. It hadn't been perfect, but they'd gotten through it. Best of all, Vernon wasn't stomping over to them and telling them to pack their things because they were sacked.

"Are you all right?" Ron was nearly on top of her as they left the ballroom for backstage. "I am so sorry... I pushed you way too hard and look what I did!"

Luna gave him a reassuring smile. "I'm fine. I just turned it wrong. It's not your fault. It could have happened to anyone." She took a seat and again rubbed her knee. "I'd better get some ice on this so it doesn't swell."

"Wait right here- I'll pop on down to the kitchens and get some," Ron held out his hands as if trying to make her sit in one spot.

"Yeah, I don't think I'll be going anywhere," she joked.

Ron ran as fast as he could, filling a bag with ice and grabbing a dish towel before speeding back to the ballroom. "Bloody stupid of me, I could have conjured this with my wand if I just stopped and thought straight," he said, handing the ice and towel to Luna.

"Thanks," she said gratefully. She saw Ron sink into the chair beside her, dejected. "Hey," she said, looking over at him. "I'm okay, really."

"I know... but it was our first time out there and I goofed up," Ron seemed depressed.

"Yeah, and I was perfect?" she asked. "I nearly missed the start of the dance because I was terrified." She put a hand on his arm. "Neither of us was perfect, okay. But, it was our first time. And there's nowhere to go from here, but up, right? Surely, we can't do worse than we did, right?"

Ron finally smiled. "I think you're right," he said, looking sideways at her.

She grinned back at him. "Feel better then?"

"I'm fine... it's still you I'm worried about," he moved the ice off her knee.

"There's no need to worry about me," she said dreamily. "If I'm with you, I'm okay."

Ron looked up from where he was examining her knee. She had that particular look in her eyes that used to annoy him, but now he found to be extremely cute. Several of her curls had slipped out of her twist and were falling down her back. Ron found himself leaning up and forwards to kiss her again but they were once more interrupted.

"Can I just say that that bloody Dudley is a royal pain in my arse?" Harry fumed, slamming his fist into the wall.

Luna sank in her chair. She looked at Ron who looked quite frustrated. She patted his arm and then turned her attention to Harry. "What happened?' she asked

"He's all over Hermione!" Harry said furiously. "I mean... he... he tries to grab her and she HATES that... and we have to keep everything a secret and I'm just so damn frustrated!" he hit the wall again.

"Join the club," Ron said crossly, but he said it under his breath so only Luna could hear.

Luna got to her feet. Ron took her hand and helped her to the curtains. She peeked through them and sure enough saw a completely miserable looking Hermione trying to fend off an amorous Dudley's advances.

"If it's any consolation, Harry," Luna said, stealing one more glance at them. "She doesn't look all that thrilled to be with him."

Harry sighed and sat down in the chair Ron was previously occupying. "I just... I wish we didn't have to sneak around. I love her, you know? And her dad hates me because he thinks I got Cho pregnant... "He ran his hands through his hair, making his already messy locks messier."I just don't know what to do anymore!"

"So I guess you couldn't very well go and ask her to dance, huh?" Luna asked, trying to lighten the mood.

Harry glared at her sourly. "Bright idea, Luna," he said sarcastically.

"Hey, she was just trying to joke around," Ron rose to her defence. "Just because you're in another mood swing doesn't mean you have to take it out on everyone around you!"

"Its okay, Ron," she said, trying to assuage the situation before it got worse. "Harry's just upset. I know he doesn't mean it." Secretly, she was quite pleased to see Ron defend her.

"No, he's right," Harry sighed again. "I'm sorry Luna... I just hate it that she has to lie to her parents, and I hate it that I can't go out there and ask her to dance without Vernon calling me into his office tomorrow and firing me."

"What if you have Cho try and explain to her dad that it wasn't you," Luna said, hoping she sounded helpful. "Maybe her dad would understand then, Harry."

"Cho doesn't want to cause trouble for anyone," Harry said. "Malfoy will only deny it until he's blue in the face and we can't prove he's the father... yet anyway. So for now, Hermione's father believes it's me." Harry said glumly.

"I'm sorry," Luna said, watching as Harry hung his head in his hands again. She heard footsteps approaching and she smiled when she saw who entered the backstage area. It was Hermione.

Luna grinned warmly at the girl and gently nudged Harry to look up.

Ron nudged Luna. "We should get you back to your cabin and... elevate that knee..." he said.

"Yeah," Luna nodded. She grabbed hold of Ron's arm as he helped her out the door. "Good night, you guys," she called out to Harry and Hermione.

"Hey," Hermione said softly.

"Hi," Harry muttered.

"I don't have much time," she said quietly. "I told my parents I was just going to pop to the loo for a moment."

Harry took a deep breath. "I can't stand seeing Dudley put his hands all over you," he said in a controlled voice.

"I'm not too crazy about it, either," she said. "You do know that I didn't want to. My dad doesn't speak to me all day except when Dudley asks if I want to dance and he answers for me that I'd love to."

Harry suddenly realised that this was as hard on her as it was on him. "Come here," he said, holding his arm up. She came over and sat on his lap. "I'm sorry... I know it's not your fault."

She leaned in and kissed him softly. "I only want to dance with you. I couldn't stop looking at you the whole time and wishing it was you I was with."

"Who knows... maybe by the end of the summer everything will work out and we can be together." Harry kissed her again while his hands toyed with her hair. "How was Draco at dinner, did he say anything?"

She frowned and shook her head. "He wasn't working tonight. I guess the vain git doesn't know any healing charms for bruises and didn't want anyone to see the damage you inflicted on him."

Harry smiled a little. "You'd better get back out there before you get in trouble," he said, letting his lips linger on hers for another moment.

"Or I could always stay in here and get in trouble," Hermione teased. "I think that'd be more fun."

Harry grinned widely. "Look what I've done," he teased.

"What?" she asked.

Harry stood up and spun her around the room, dipping her down before bringing her body back up so her mouth met his. "That," he said.

"So you did," Hermione said, breathlessly. She felt a little dizzy and she grinned goofily at him. "I guess that's what they mean by snogging someone senseless."

Harry laughed. "All right, get back out there. I'll see you later right?"

She nodded and just before leaving the room, she looked back at him with her eyes twinkling. "I love you," she said softly.

"Love you," he returned before she disappeared out the door.

*** *** ***

Luna laughed as Ron struggled to open her cabin door all while trying to carry her.

"You know that this wasn't really necessary, right?" she asked. "I think I would have been okay to walk."

"I know," Ron said, his smile a bit goofy. "But I figured since I twisted your knee, I could carry you back."

"My hero," she said, putting her hand up to her forehead and pretending to swoon.

"Very funny," Ron replied. "But this hero only has two hands and can't unlock your door."

Luna giggled as she used her free hand to turn the knob. "There," she said, with a grin. "You may resume your hero duties, sir."

Ron snickered as he carried her over to the bed. "My lady," he set her down gently. "How's your knee?"

"It's fine," she said, as he fluffed her pillows. "You should think of a career as a healer. You're quite good at this."

Ron smiled. "I won't rule that out." he replied.

She put a hand on his arm. "You really shouldn't feel bad about tonight. You were fantastic. I was quite proud."

"At least one of us was," Ron hung his head. "I just can't shake the feeling that I messed up. Maybe you should go out there with Harry from now on; at least he can handle himself on a dance floor."

"You were fine, Ron," she said reassuringly. "And I refuse to go out there with anyone but you. So, like it or not, you're stuck with me and I'm stuck with you."

Ron smiled. "Thanks," he said. He looked up and she was staring at him again with that wide eyed dreamy look. Unconsciously, Ron leaned forward and his lips had just brushed against hers when the door banged wide open.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked. "Is your knee better?" He had another ice pack in his hands.

"Bloody hell," Ron exclaimed, glaring at his best friend, who stopped dead in his tracks. "Have you ever heard of knocking?"

"Sorry," Harry looked contrite. "I just thought you might need another one of these," he handed the pack over to Luna.

"Thanks," Luna said, taking the ice pack. "That was really lovely of you, Harry."

Ron continued to glare at his best friend.

"Did you and Hermione work things out?" Luna asked.

"Yes," Harry nodded.

"That's great," Luna said, smiling at him. "So, how did you think we did? Be brutally honest, Harry."

Harry sat down, much to Ron's chagrin. "Well... I thought you could have used a little more spin the first time, although the second you were a bit too strong Ron. It was good that you managed to get your confidence back quickly Luna, I could see you were hesitating at first."

"And I tried so hard to hide that," Luna said with a laugh. "I thought the same thing with the spin. We could have done that a lot quicker and that second spin was just a fluke. It won't happen again."

"I don't think anyone noticed," Harry said, patting her hand. He caught Ron's eye and noticed his best friend was still glaring at him. "I'd... better go. Hermione said she was meeting me later." he stood up. "Luna... you get some rest okay, cause Cho still has another few days to go before she'll be able to get up and around and even then she may not be able to dance in the ballroom."

Luna nodded. Ron, however, also got to his feet and decided to see his friend outside. "Might I have a quick word, Harry? Luna, I'll be right back."

"All right," she lay back on her pillows and smiled at the two guys. Harry followed Ron outside.

Ron walked a few feet away from the cabin so Luna couldn't hear what he was about to say.

"Harry," Ron began, trying to sound as calm as possible. "You're my best friend and I would take a thousand hexes for you, I hope you know that."

Harry nodded, nonplussed.

"But you're really ticking me off tonight!" Ron finished, glaring at his friend.

"What did I do?" Harry looked genuinely confused.

"Which time?" Ron asked, his voice oozing with sarcasm. "The time when you busted in on us right after the dance whinging about your girlfriend? Or the time just now when you busted in on us again, without knocking, I might add."

"I didn't mean to," Harry crossed his arms. "And if I recall correctly, she's my friend too, and she took a spill on the dance floor. I wanted to make sure she was okay," his eyes narrowed.

"That's well and good," Ron said, again trying to stay calm. "But you do know how to knock on a door, right?"

"How the bloody hell am I supposed to know what you're trying to do!" Harry countered. "If you want to snog her, then stop talking and just DO it!" he turned and stalked off in the direction of his cabin.

"Let's see how you bloody like it if I barged in on you!" Ron called after him angrily. He knew he was being unreasonable, but he was frustrated. He walked back into Luna's cabin hoping to make up for lost time and to his dismay found her sound asleep.

"Bloody hell..." Ron cried out angrily. He sighed and moved to her bedside, looking down upon her. "Good night," he pushed back some strands of hair and kissed her on the forehead gently.