Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Well here it is… this is the end of Dirty Dancing! Thanks to all of you who reviewed and enjoyed this story! It was great for us to write. At this time there are no immediate plans for a sequel, but we never say never ;)

The deadline for the contest reviews/entries is July 21st. That gives everyone fifteen days to get in their reviews. That night we will pull three random names of everyone who reviewed each chapter and we will post the winners on the 22nd.

Good luck everyone! And thanks again!!!

Bailamos - Enrique Iglesias

Tonight we dance
I leave my life, in your hands
We take the floor
Nothing is forbidden anymore

Don't let the world dim my sight
Don't let the romance go by
Nothing can stop us tonight
1-Bailamos, let the rhythm take you over
Bailamos
Te quiero amor mio, bailamos
Gonna live this night forever
Bailamos
Te quiero amor mio, te quiero

Later that evening, Lavender found herself walking along the lakeside with Seamus. They'd had an enjoyable afternoon getting to know one another. She'd even listened intently as he went on about Muggle electronics. He was fascinated by them and his enthusiasm for it only endeared him to her more. She again kicked herself for not noticing him earlier. She could have saved herself a lot of heartache.

"Do you come down here by the lake often?" she asked.

"Once in awhile," he shrugged. "I mainly stay in me cabin or around the ballroom up in the catwalks. What about ye?" he asked. Seamus wasn't normally a guy looking for romance, but Lavender was sweet, especially once he got to know her.

"I spend too much time here, actually," she said with a giggle. "Truth be told, I come down here to work on my tan mostly, but I do like the stillness and quietness of it...especially at night."

"It's quite nice," Seamus agreed. "So how long have ye been here? I'm surprised I haven't noticed ye before this... although like I said, I don't get out around here much often."

"We've been here since the start of summer," Lavender replied. "It's funny, but I feel like I've grown up since I've been here."

"Really?" Seamus looked sideways at her as they sat on the same lounge chair. "Why's that?" when she remained silent he put a hand on her arm. "I'm sorry, if I'm being too personal for ye, ye don't have to answer."

She shook her head. "It's not that. It's just so stupid when you think about it. Girl meets boy. Boy flirts with girl. Boy charms girl. Girl falls for boy. Boy tramples on girl. Same old, same old, really."

"Draco Malfoy eh?" Seamus shook his head. "Right bloody prat he is."

Lavender smiled. "I got back at him, though."

"Ye can't hold out on me," Seamus grinned. "Tell me!"

Lavender looked around as if she was checking to make sure no one was in ear shot. She leaned in and with a conspiratorial wink whispered, "I kneed him."

Seamus threw his head back and laughed loudly. "I knew ye weren't a gal to be scorned," his eyes twinkled. "I like that."

Lavender giggled. "You should have seen the look on his face when I did it. I wish I'd had the camera then."

"It's enough just to imagine it." Seamus replied merrily.

Lavender nodded and they drifted into a comfortable silence, both seemingly content just to be in each other's company.

Lavender looked over at Seamus. Although she'd always followed by one rule in dating---that the bloke should always be the one who asks the girl out---she couldn't resist asking what she did next. "D-did you have to work tomorrow evening?" she asked hesitantly.

"I've got to set up the movie, and your cousin's tape... but after that I'm not." Seamus replied mildly.

"Well, when you're done with that, would you like to maybe go for another walk?" she asked, biting her bottom lip, hoping he couldn't tell how nervous she was. She understood now how hard it was for blokes to ask out girls.

"That sounds good to me," Seamus grinned at her. "I've enjoyed getting to know ye today Lavender, I've enjoyed it very much."

Lavender blushed. "I've enjoyed it, too. You're the nicest guy I've met in a long time."

"Not all guys are like that bloody git," Seamus nodded. "There's a few nice ones of us left."

"I'm starting to see that," Lavender said with a shy smile at Seamus. He wasn't like any of the other boys she'd dated and she honestly didn't mind one bit.

Seamus looked at her as she giggled nervously and scuffed her feet in the cool sand. The moonlight made her blonde hair shine and her hands were twisting nervously together. "Lavender?" he said softly and when she looked up he put his fingers under her chin and brought her lips to his.

The kiss surprised Lavender mainly in how different it was from the kisses Draco had given her. Whereas Draco had been insistent and demanding, Seamus was sweet and gentle. When they pulled away a few seconds later, Lavender smiled and said the first thing that came to her mind. "You kissed me."

"Aye, I did." Seamus replied. "Was it okay? I didn't mean to startle ye."

"More than okay," she whispered. "More than okay actually."

He smiled at her before leaning in again, his fingers going to play in her soft hair. 'It was funny,' he thought. 'Just that morning finding a girl was the last thing on his mind, yet he hadn't planned on meeting Lavender.' They kissed for another few moments before pulling apart, Lavender leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Tomorrow's the big day," she said softly. "Everything's set up, right?"

"Aye it is," he replied. "I feel rather bad about the whole thing but she's only getting what she deserves."

"When we met you said that she used to be a great girl," Lavender said quietly. "I find that hard to believe. Granted, I only know her as she is now, which isn't saying much."

Seamus smiled. "It's all right."

"So she hasn't always been this way?" Lavender asked.

"No, not really. She had some issues when we were all in school together. Always has fancied Harry and he's never thought of her in any way other than Ron's sister." he shook his head. "I suppose she's seen him with Hermione aye?"

"Yeah," Lavender replied. "And she wasn't too happy about it, obviously."

"Ah well," Seamus shrugged. "Ye can't always get the person of your dreams can ye?"

Lavender nodded and laughed, but as she looked at Seamus she felt a warm feeling that she hadn't felt in a long time. She had no idea where this all would lead, but she wanted to find out.

*** *** ***

Ron sat in the cafeteria, Luna next to him. Whereas she was eating her lunch, Ron was pushing his around on the tray with his fork. Every time he tried to take a bite, his stomach would rumble and while normally that meant he was hungry, this time he knew it was due to nerves.

"Ron?" Luna asked, concern etched all over her face.

"Hm?" he grunted.

"You've barely touched your food," she said, nodding her head in the direction of his tray. "And I know you didn't sleep at all last night."

He sighed. "I'm just a bloody bundle of nerves." Ron replied. "I know what we're doing is right but I can't shake the feeling that it's wrong."

She looked thoughtfully at him, trying to choose her words carefully. "I can't pretend to know what this is like for you. I don't have any siblings of my own, but I know this isn't easy on you, Ron. You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel guilty. You're stuck in the middle between your best friend and your little sister."

Ron pushed his tray away and got up. "I need to get out of here," he muttered before walking out the door. Luna pushed her own dishes away and hurried after him.

"Ron!" she called after him. "Will you please wait?"

Ron stopped in his tracks. "Sorry," he reached out for her hand. "I don't mean to make you think I'm angry at you because I'm not."

She gripped his hand tightly. "I just feel as if I'm saying everything wrong when all I want to do is help."

"No... Its not you Luna." Ron replied. "It's just my stupid bloody conscience. I had no troubles telling Ginny off for jumping on Harry all summer, yet now it's as if all I hear is a voice in my head saying that she's family and I shouldn't betray her."

"You know what I think?" Luna asked, touching his cheek affectionately. He looked at her and she smiled reassuringly at him. "I think Ginny is lucky to have a brother like you."

"Yeah?" Ron felt slightly cheered by her words. "You really think so?"

"I do," she said, matter of fact. "Everything you've done has been to protect her. She may not see it that way now, but she's lucky to have someone who cares about her like that."

Ron finally cracked a smile. "Thanks... I really needed to hear that." she beamed back at him. "You know something?"

"What's that?" she asked.

Ron stopped and looked down at her. Luna had worn her long hair loose that day and the wind blew several strands into her eyes. "I'm really glad Harry convinced me to loosen up and give you a chance. I'd be missing out on something really amazing if I'd continued keeping my nose in the air." he gently brushed the strands out of her face.

"We'll have to thank Harry next time we see him," Luna said softly, her eyes focused solely on Ron, as his hand lingered on her cheek. "I love you," she said softly. When she saw the surprised expression on his face, she blushed. "It's okay if you're not ready to say it back to me yet. I just wanted you to know that."

Ron felt as if he could hardly breathe for a moment. "No..." he said. "I think... I think I feel the same way. I'm in love with you..." he closed the distance between their lips and kissed her.

"You really mean that?" she whispered when they broke the kiss a few moments later. His arms were still wrapped around her waist.

"Yeah," he smiled down at her. "I really do."

"Good," she said softly, brushing her lips against his once more. "We're in agreement then."

"Quite," Ron's eyes twinkled. "Come on... let's go to the dance studio and pass some time until tonight."

*** *** ***

Hermione looked at herself in the mirror, pleased with her reflection. She and Lavender had decided to make themselves look extra nice that evening. She'd borrowed another of Lavender's dresses, a creamy coloured one that fell to her knees. High sandals and a touch of makeup completed her look. "I'm ready," Hermione said, patting her hair that she and Lavender had wrestled up in a twist.

"I should say so," Lavender said, giving Hermione an approving smile. She smoothed down her own light blue sundress and slipped on a pair of matching sandals.

"I'm a bit nervous," Hermione confessed. "I mean, Ron said that he'd get Ginny and Draco to be there, and we'll be sitting with the Dursleys... but still, I can't help but feel something might go wrong."

She walked over to her cousin and put her hand on her shoulder. "Listen to me, Hermione. Nothing is going to go wrong tonight. It's all going to work out. After tonight, you won't have to hide anymore and that horrid Ginny Weasley and Draco Malfoy will get their just desserts. It's going to be the best night of the summer. Mark my words."

"I hope you're right." Hermione sighed and then smiled at her cousin. "So you didn't tell me anything last night after you came back from being with Seamus. What's going on?"

Lavender blushed and then under Hermione's probing glance, she squealed. "He kissed me!"

Hermione grinned. "Did he?"

Lavender nodded happily. "And with that one kiss I think he restored my faith in the male gender. Of course, he wouldn't have to do much to be better than Malfoy, but he's really smart and nice and funny, Hermione."

"I'm really happy for you," Hermione hugged her cousin. "It's about time you met someone nice."

"Yes, it is," Lavender agreed. "So when is Harry getting here?"

"He didn't say exactly when, but I do know he wouldn't miss this," Hermione replied, grabbing a lightweight jumper in case it got cold in the ballroom. "I have a feeling he'll 'unmask' when the video is playing."

"I can't wait to see the look on her face when her little plan comes crashing down upon her," Lavender said with a smirk. "You should have seen her earlier down by the lake. She was sitting up on her lifeguard chair like she was a queen on a throne. It took all I had not to hex her."

"Ugh," Hermione shuddered. "I've never met anyone so detestable! And to think she tried to play all friendly with me when she tried to break me and Harry up, as if I would just agree with her."

"Oh, I know," Lavender said. "But I do have to admit as couples go; she and Malfoy are made for each other."

"True," Hermione said. Her father knocked on the door at that moment.

"Are you two ready yet?" he asked, smiling at the both of them.

"Believe it or not, Uncle Robert," Lavender said, linking elbows with Hermione. "We are ready. Right, Hermione?"

Hermione nodded and winked at her father. She was happy as the family left for the ballroom, joking around and talking as they always did.

"Oh no," Lavender groaned, looking in horror as Vernon Dursley made a beeline for them as soon as they walked inside. "Do we really have to sit with them?"

"Now, now..." Robert chastised but his eyes were twinkling. "How are you Vernon?"

"Fine Robert, just fine. Haven't seen much of you the last few days. Hope everyone is well!" he chuckled, fingering his moustache.

"Everyone's doing great," Robert replied as they moved towards the opposite side of the room. Hermione quickly took the seat in the corner so she wouldn't be stuck right next to Dudley and Lavender claimed the chair by her.

Dudley grimaced as he had to settle for the seat directly across from Hermione. "You look lovely tonight, Hermione," he said, smiling at her.

Lavender giggled and whispered in Hermione's ear, "I bet he thinks he's being flirtatious, but it looks to me as if he's constipated."

Hermione fought a laugh and smiled politely. "Thank you Dudley," she said, her voice oozing with sugar. "You look... nice... too." Lavender turned a snicker into a cough.

"Maybe you'd, um, like to take a walk after the movie is finished?" he asked. "You know, alone...with me."

"I uh..." Hermione looked towards Lavender for help.

"Hermione and I actually had plans," Lavender said quickly. "We were going to play...um, charades, wasn't it? With her parents, right? Family night and all that. You understand, right?"

Dudley nodded and then pulled his chair back and without another word stalked off in the direction of the kitchens.

Hermione and Lavender shared their laughter as more people began to filter into the room. She saw Ron and Luna come in, accompanied by Ginny and Draco.

"Look at the two of them," Lavender said to Hermione. Ginny and Draco were holding hands as they surveyed the room. "I think I might vomit."

"Get in line," Hermione rolled her eyes and waved to Ron and Luna. They took seats near the back of the room- Vernon allowed employees at the movie nights only if they took the worst seats. "I wonder where Cho and Neville are?"

Lavender looked around the room. "Don't know, but they better get here soon. They should be starting soon."

"I know," Hermione replied as her parents and the Dursleys sat down. "What movie are we to be seeing tonight Mr. Dursley?" she asked politely.

Vernon acted as if he hadn't heard Hermione. In the wake of her admission about Harry, he'd been very cool, but polite on the surface.

"I believe Hermione asked you what movie we were seeing," Robert said pointedly to Vernon.

He coughed. "I'm so sorry dear, I didn't realise you were speaking to me." he smiled with a jolly yet fake expression. "It's a comedy dear, about some men who chase ghosts for a living. I hear it's quite a good film!" he laughed again.

"Would that be called 'Ghostbusters' Mr. Dursley?" Hermione asked, still smiling brightly.

"I believe so," Vernon said coolly. "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go make sure we're ready to begin." With that, he left the table, followed by his wife.

"If we're lucky maybe they won't come back," Robert said with a wink at Hermione.

Hermione smiled but figured her father spoke too soon as Petunia and Dudley came out of the kitchens. Dudley made a beeline for the table, a box of chocolates in hand and sat down in a chair closer to Hermione this time.

Lavender tapped Hermione on the shoulder. "There are Cho and Neville," she whispered.

Hermione nodded as her friends waved at her, then took seats next to Ron and Luna. Hermione briefly wondered why Cho saved another seat next to her, not letting anyone sit down until it dawned on her- Harry.

"Harry, you just stepped on my foot," Cho hissed.

"Sorry," Harry muttered back. It was hot under his cloak and he almost wished he'd simply cast a masking spell on himself but it was too late now. "Where's Hermione?" he asked.

"Over there," Cho said, nodding her head toward where Hermione sat. "See? Over there in the corner?"

"Okay," Harry rested his back against the chair, watching Hermione. She looked stunning in her creamy sundress with her hair pinned up. His eyes travelled over her neck; he smiled as he thought about how he loved to nibble at her skin. "Did Hermione tell you what she and I talked about?" he asked in a quiet voice.

"She did and I was a little surprised," she said teasingly. "I thought you'd be a swinging bachelor at least into your thirties. Moving in together? Are you sure about that?"

"Completely," Harry replied without hesitation. "I've been looking around over the last couple of days and I've found some places... there was one that I really think she'll like a lot."

"So you haven't just been sleeping about while you've been away?" she asked with a laugh. "You've actually been doing something worthwhile. So, what's this place like?"

"It's not huge, but it's got one room that's just full of shelves. I figured we could both use it as an office. It's also got three bedrooms, a kitchen, no formal dining room but that's okay, and a really nice sized family room."

Cho stared back at him, a little in awe of what he was saying. "A family room?"

"A living room, whatever you might call it," Harry replied. "It was just really comfortable, and I liked it the moment I stepped into it. A lot of dark wood panelling... after living with the Dursleys when I was younger I don't want to see any white walls, anywhere," Harry scowled.

She smiled warmly at him. "I was just teasing, Harry. I think it's great. And I think Hermione will love it. That is unless her dad murders you when you tell him you want to live in sin with his daughter."

"I'll have you know that Hermione talked to her dad and he wants to have me over for dinner once the holiday is over." Harry informed her smugly.

"Yes, but did he know beforehand about the 'whole living in sin with his daughter' part?" Cho asked, raising her eyebrows at Harry. "I have a feeling that if he'd known about that, he wouldn't be extending dinner invites to you."

"We'll work it out," Harry replied confidently. "Hermione and I have come this far."

"Don't look now," Cho said, catching a glimpse at Dudley who was actually offering Hermione a piece of chocolate. "But Dudley is still thinking he's in with a chance. It must be love. He's actually sharing food."

Harry suppressed a shudder as Hermione gingerly took the sticky chocolate piece in her hand. "I'll... save it for later. I might get hungry during the movie." she said.

"If you get scared during the movie, you can hold my hand," Dudley said softly. He reached for Hermione's hand, but at the last minute she was able to avoid contact as she picked up her glass of soda.

Lavender shook her head in disgust as Hermione hastily gulped down half her glass. "Well seeing as your father told me it was a comedy, I don't think I'll be too frightened." she replied.

"But it's called Ghostbusters," Dudley said condescendingly. "I know how you girls get about ghosts and all that. I was just letting you know that I'll be here if you get scared."

"Right..." Hermione replied then hiccupped. "Oh goodness... I drank my soda too fast. I need to get some water." she got up and so did Dudley.

"Would you like me to come with you?" he asked quickly.

"No thank you," Hermione shook her head. "I'll just be a moment." she quickly left the table and purposefully headed back by where Cho and everyone were sitting. She nodded at them as she held her breath, not wanting to hiccup anymore. Leaving the ballroom, Hermione made a quick turn back by the kitchens. Once inside, she smiled. "Okay Harry, you can come out now."

"Can't pull anything past you, can I?" he asked, taking the cloak off of him. "The things I do for you. I was about to burn up in this bloody thing!"

Hermione smiled at him. "I need some water," she said, hiccupping again.

"I guess if you have the hiccups, I can't greet you properly," he said with a sly grin.

Hermione glared at him as he retrieved a bottle of water from one of the refrigerators. She snatched it away and gulped it down as fast as she could, holding her breath again. "Ahh..." she waited a moment. "Okay... they're gone now." she dropped the bottle and launched herself at him.

Just before their lips met, he stopped her and suppressed a grin at the impatient look on her face. "I just wanted to tell you that I have a little surprise for you back at the inn. I know it might seem a bit optimistic of me, but I have a feeling that things are going to work tonight and I plan on taking you back there with me tonight. That is, if you want to come back with me?"

"Are you bloody kidding me?" Hermione asked. "I've been wanting that for days now."

"I was hoping you'd say that," he said with his eyes twinkling. "So what was it we were about to do?"

Hermione grinned and pressed her lips to his, kissing him as hard as she possibly could. His hands dropped his cloak as he pulled her to him; she fisted her hands in his hair.

Cho cleared her throat loudly. "I hate to break this up and all, but Seamus said they're about to begin."

"Cho!" Harry nearly dropped Hermione and they both grinned sheepishly. "Give us just one more minute and we'll be back." Cho gave Hermione a sly look before shaking her head and closing the door behind her.

"She knows we get a little caught up doesn't she?" Hermione asked, smoothing her dress back down. "You're a bloody bad influence on me."

"Well, since you've been a good influence on me, I guess it balances out," he said softly. "Before you go back, I wanted to tell you something else, too."

"What?" Hermione asked, moving some unruly strands of hair out of his eyes.

"Just that I haven't exactly been lazy while I've been away from you," he said with a smile. "I've been looking around at some places for us and I think I may have found one that you'd like."

Hermione couldn't suppress her grin. "Are you serious?" she finally said. "You've found a place for us to live?" she knew Harry had meant it when he said he wanted them to move in together but it didn't fully hit her until that moment.

"I haven't signed anything yet, but the moment I saw it, I could picture us there," he said happily. "There's this great window seat in the bedroom and I could just see you sitting there on a winter's night, wrapped up in a blanket, reading."

Hermione stared up at him as tears pooled in her eyes. "I love you," she threw herself at him, hugging him as tight as she possibly could.

He wrapped his arms tightly around her and couldn't help feeling that after all the trouble they'd gone through to be together, it was actually going to happen.

"Don't cry on me now," he whispered into her hair. "You don't know how bad it might be to live with me."

"What could be worse than your mood swings?" Hermione asked jokingly as she wiped tears from her eyes.

"I don't know," he said with a laugh. "I might leave the seat up on the toilet or forget to put the cap on the toothpaste."

Hermione laughed. "Those things I can deal with. In time I'll have you trained to my liking."

He frowned. "Hermione? You are joking, right?"

"Maybe," Hermione smiled. "Come on... we'd better get back. This is one movie I don't want to miss."

Harry quickly pulled his invisibility cloak back over him and followed Hermione out of the kitchen. He couldn't resist taking his hand and giving her arse a pat as she walked ahead of him. He stifled a laugh as she stumbled a little bit.

"Sod off Potter," Hermione hissed.

Harry was still chuckling as he took his seat again in between Neville and Cho.

Ginny fidgeted in her seat in between Ron and Draco. She'd not wanted to come to this cheesy movie night, but had agreed to after Ron had asked. "When are they going to get this bloody thing started?" she asked impatiently.

"Soon, Gin." Ron replied, his hands sweating. Luna rested her fingers on his.

"It'll be all right," she whispered in his ear. "You know she deserves this."

"Finally," Ginny said, as the lights dimmed in the ballroom.

Hermione felt her heart start to beat faster as she looked at Lavender, who had paled a bit. The movie screen flickered to life and both girls felt a lump in their throat. This was it. Either their plan would work or it wouldn't.

Ginny wasn't even looking at the screen. She was tired from her double shift at the lake and she had a feeling that this movie night would help her take a quick kip. She'd just closed her eyes when she felt Draco tighten his grip on her hand. She was all for closeness, but he was starting to cut off the circulation of blood to her hand.

"Draco," she hissed, opening her eyes. "What is your problem?"

"Look," he said rigidly, staring at the screen.

"At what?" she asked, turning her attention to the screen. She was expecting to see the opening credits of the movie, but the sight before her wasn't credits, it was...she blinked her eyes quickly to see if she was correct. "That's my cabin!" she said, much louder than she'd meant.

Several people turned to look at her and she slunk down into her chair. On the other side of the room, Vernon Dursley stood to his feet. "What is the meaning of this?" he roared.

Cho looked helplessly at Neville. "What if he stops it?" she asked.

"Seamus said he was locking the door," he whispered back. "So unless he breaks it down it'll keep going." Neville looked back at the screen as Ginny and Draco suddenly appeared.

Ginny's eyes were focused on the screen. She remembered this night. It was the night Ron had busted in on them and said he wanted in on their plan. At that moment, she saw her brother on the screen coming in to her cabin as she hastily tried to hide the stash of money and wallets on her bed.

Ron's face remained stone solid as he re-watched himself fool his sister. Whispers were running rampant in the audience as Ginny, Draco and Dudley talked their plan for everyone to hear. He squeezed Luna's hand and chanced a look at Vernon Dursley, whose face had turned purple. Dudley sat frozen, a half eaten chocolate in his hand.

Ginny wished that a hole would suddenly appear in the floor to swallow her up as she listened to herself confess to everything they'd done. She forced her eyes away from the screen and looked at Draco, but he was staring stone faced at the screen.

Draco was enraged. He had bloody known Ron Weasley was up to no good when he'd stormed in on them that night but he hadn't known it would result in this. He looked out the corner of his eye at Cho Chang, who sat by Neville Longbottom and they were smirking away.

Lavender, meanwhile, was wondering what she'd rather watch more. The looks on Ginny and Draco's faces or the actual confession on the screen. She saw that Hermione, too, was wrestling with the same decision.

Vernon simply couldn't believe what he was seeing. His son, his own son, was up there admitting he was part of the thefts. And one of his best employees as well! A low growl emitted from his throat as the video finished off, the lights flickering back on as the screen went to black.

"What is the meaning of this?" he finally shouted. "Dudley?" The audience stayed seated in their chairs, not wanting to miss a moment.

Ginny turned her attention to her brother. "How could you?" she managed to choke out.

Ron looked at his sister. "How could YOU, Ginny? You stole people's money and belongings and tried to frame Harry for it." he shook his head. "I'm ashamed of you Gin. I really thought I knew you."

Ginny got to her feet and glared at him. "YOU thought you know me? You've got to be kidding me! What kind of person would do this to his own sister?"

"What sort of person would do that to guests?" called an angry female voice from the audience. "That necklace you stole from me was a gift from my grandmother before she died!"

"And that was all the money I brought with me!" a male echoed. Several other guests were getting to their feet, scowling at the redhead at the back. A few guests that were seated closer to Ginny and Draco rounded on them hurling out question after question at the couple. Ginny, who up until this point had been quite confident, now clung to Draco's arm wondering what she should or could say to explain this away.

"I better get my bracelet and ring back," a female guest said, coming through the crowd and looking disdainfully at Ginny.

"I want justice," another guest chimed in. "They can't get away with this."

"You should do more thorough background checks when you hire employees, Dursley," an older gentleman said.

Vernon broke through the angry crowd and Ginny and Draco heard him muttering that all the stolen goods would be returned and if that wasn't possible, the guests would be reimbursed in some shape or fashion. "Miss Weasley! Mr. Malfoy!" Vernon had rounded on them, Dudley's beefy arm firmly ensconced in his grip. "You WILL explain yourselves this instant!"

Ginny turned to Vernon and found that she had no idea what to say. How could she explain away what everyone in the room had just seen in large, living colour? She looked to Draco, who had always known how to talk himself out of a bad situation.

"It's a fake," Draco replied, sounding more confident than he actually felt. "Ron's good mates with Seamus up there in the booth and they cooked it all up to cover for Potter." Draco sneered. "I refuse to stand here and take blame for Potter's troubles!"

Cho laughed loudly. "Get a load of this, everyone! Draco Malfoy doesn't want to take responsibility for something that everyone knows he did."

"You keep out of this!" Draco hissed, knowing what she was referring to.

"Don't you talk to her like that!" Neville barked, defending his girlfriend.

Vernon felt about ready to burst. "That's enough!" he barked. "You three, in my office, NOW!" Vernon turned to the audience. "Please… everyone… all your belongings and money will be recovered. Please come to my office tomorrow to retrieve them. I will cover for anything that is missing." He pulled Dudley along and Petunia tittered as she led the rear, making sure that Draco and Ginny wouldn't sneak away. As they left, Ginny glanced back at the table where Hermione was sitting. The brown haired girl gave her a level glare as she was led out.

Luna put a hand on Ron's shoulder. "Are you okay?" she asked gently.

"Fine," he replied as the audience began to get to their feet. "I'm relieved it's all over."

"It's not over yet," Harry replied, coming into the ballroom. He'd followed behind Vernon Dursley and shed his cloak outside to make a proper entrance. Ignoring the surprised gasps of his fellow employees and some of the guests, he strode across the room to where the Grangers were sitting. "Nobody puts Hermione in the corner," he said, holding his hand out to her.

Hermione beamed back at him and took his hand, wondering what he was going to do. She saw Lavender wink at her as Harry led her away.

He brought her up onstage as Neville raced for the CD player. "Are you ready for this?" he murmured into her ear. She nodded and Harry looked at the audience. "In light of the fact that you won't be seeing a movie, Hermione and I would like to dance for you instead."

The group of employees at the back of the room let out a collective cheer and Lavender grinned as Seamus silently came up behind her and took Hermione's now vacant seat. Robert and Elinore stared up at the stage as the opening strains of the music filled the room.

"Esta noche bailamos..." a voice filled the air and Hermione shimmied down Harry's front in tune to the music. He'd had Neville pick a song they'd danced to a few times in the studio and she knew exactly what to do.

Lavender was in awe of her cousin. She'd known only what Hermione had told her about the dancing, but she'd never actually seen it for her own two eyes. Hermione moved like she'd been doing this her entire life. An overwhelming sense of pride came over her as she watched her cousin. She chanced a look back to gauge her aunt and uncle's reaction and saw to her relief that Elinore was clapping along to the music and staring with pride at her daughter. Robert was much more subdued, but he didn't look upset.

Hermione let herself go in Harry's arms as he spun her around the stage, twirling her out then pulling her back, grinding against her momentarily as the saucy Latin beat pulsed through the audience.

"Don't look now," she whispered as he pulled her close, "but everyone's watching."

"I know," Harry replied softly as he dipped her low, so low her hair brushed the ground. As he brought her back up, Hermione reached behind her and pulled out the pins keeping her hair up.

She knew she was supposed to look sultry, seductive, and serious---as Cho called it---when she did this dance, but she couldn't help smiling as she and Harry were finally able to dance openly in front of her family and all of their friends.

Harry grinned at her, letting his hands roam freely as he dipped her back again, her hair now flying. He twirled her around again and they came to a stop together, bodies pressed against one another as the music died away.

The silence was met with a thunderous, enthusiastic applause. Cheers and catcalls could be heard from the back row where the employees were jumping to their feet. Harry grabbed Hermione's hand and they both bowed.

"I think she gets this from me," Elinore said, getting to her feet along with everyone else and clapping enthusiastically for her daughter.

Robert couldn't help the smile that crossed his face as he watched his pride and joy onstage. He realised now that Hermione wasn't kidding when she said she was happiest with Harry, and by the way the boy was looking at her, she had also been right when she said Harry loved her too. His hands moved together of their own volition and a moment later he was applauding as wildly as the rest of the crowd.

Hermione held on tightly to Harry's hand as he led her off the stage. They had to cross through a crowd of people who congratulated and complimented them as they came through. Neville had put another CD on and the crowd of guests and employees were starting to dance.

"Mum, Dad..." she said as she brought him to their table. "I'd really like you to meet Harry Potter."

Elinore grinned warmly at Harry and extended her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Harry. You both looked fantastic up there."

"Thank you Mrs. Granger, it's lovely to finally meet you." Harry said, shaking her hand. He turned a bit nervously to Hermione's father.

Hermione held her breath as she looked at her father as he looked at Harry. After what seemed like an eternity, Robert extended his hand to Harry. "I'm sorry for misjudging you, Harry," he said quietly.

"And I'm sorry for not trying to talk to you about everything sooner," Harry offered, shaking the man's hand firmly. "I love Hermione very much. I know you were only trying to protect her."

Robert nodded and gave his daughter a hug. As he held onto his daughter, he whispered in her ear, "I'm very proud of you, Hermione."

"Thanks Dad," Hermione said as tears stung the corners of her eyes.

Harry saw Lavender and Seamus engrossed in one another as Robert took Elinore out on the dance floor. "Let's get out of here," he said in Hermione's ear.

"I thought you'd never ask," Hermione said happily taking his hand as he led her out of the ballroom.

*** *** ***

Draco dropped his bag on Ginny's porch and knocked on her door. When she didn't answer, he opened it to see her frantically throwing all her clothes on top of the bed as tears poured from her eyes. "Red, come on... it's not that bad."

"Not that bad?" she asked in disbelief. "So we aren't going to be arrested, but we still got sacked and humiliated, plus we have to pay Vernon back for whatever he's out for the cost of us stealing. Yeah, that's the perfect ending to a horrible summer."

Draco shook his head. "Those fools don't matter," he sneered. "Stupid pathetic Muggles... it's probably the most excitement they've seen. I refuse to feel humiliated by them."

"Did you see the look on that Hermione's face as we were being led away?" Ginny asked, angrily throwing clothes haphazardly into her suitcase. "And Ron? I can't believe I fell for his caring brother routine."

"Me either." Draco frowned. "I saw through it and I tried to warn you."

"So this is my fault now?" she snapped back at him.

Draco sighed. "No Gin... it's all of our faults." he smirked. "At least we got to leave- Dudley has to stay and listen to Dursley rag on him. He'll probably make him work it off for the rest of the season. Wouldn't be surprised if he cuts off his food supply for the rest of the summer as well. "

"How can you joke at a time like this?" she asked, momentarily forgetting her packing. "If Ron thinks that I'll ever speak to him again after tonight, he has another thing coming. He chose friendship over family. You just don't do those things, Draco."

"Well then you didn't come from my family," Draco shot back. He watched her roll her eyes and close her suitcase. "Where were you planning on going now Red?"

"I have no idea," she said morosely. "I can't very well go home now, can I? That's all I need is to listen to my mum tell me what a disappointment I am."

Draco felt something inside him tug as she broke out into tears again. "Well..." he said. "I was thinking perhaps... you could come home with me."

"With you?" she asked, looking up at him. "You'd want that?"

"Of course I do," Draco replied. "I love you. I wouldn't leave you out in the rain just because we made a few mistakes."

She wiped a tear from her cheek. "A few mistakes?" she asked with a laugh. "You have an uncanny way of putting the most obscure perspective on things."

Draco smiled. "What do you say?" he asked. "You coming with me?"

She grinned at him. "I'm coming with you."

*** *** ***

Harry pulled Hermione outside and they walked away from the noisy ballroom towards the forest. They were silent a few minutes as they looked at one another, and then broke into laughter.

"I can't even believe this," Harry hugged her, spinning them around a few times.

"Neither can I," she said laughing. "We're actually together and no one minds. No one seems to care."

"That's the best part," Harry replied. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her hungrily.

When they pulled away from each other, Hermione couldn't fight the instinct to look over her shoulder to see if anyone was watching. "Sorry," she said breathlessly. "Hard habit to break."

"It's all right. We have loads of time to help you get over it now." he held her close. "I love you so much."

"That's good to hear because I'm crazy about you myself," Hermione replied cheekily.

Harry laughed. "You know... there's really only one thing left to do here."

Hermione raised an eyebrow at him. "What's that?"

"Figure out how we're going to break the news to your dad about us moving in together." Harry replied.

The End