Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thanks again to all of you guys who reviewed!! Your comments and encouragement are truly appreciated!!!

Excalibur- we loved the haiku ;)

I Turn To You - Melanie C

When my insides are wracked with anxiety
You have the touch that will quiet me
You lift my spirit. You melt the ice
When I need inspiration, when I need advice


I turn to you
Like a flower leaning towards the sun
I turn to you
'Cos you're the only one
Who can turn me around when I'm upside down
I turn to you

Hermione stood just outside the boathouse waiting for Harry to arrive. As soon as she made it back to the cabin, she'd changed into her bikini and a pair of shorts and a simple white t-shirt. She snuck out of the cabin just before midnight and felt quite excited at the prospect of going swimming with Harry. This was something they'd never done together and she'd been looking forward to it from the moment she'd suggested it.

To her great relief, the weather was perfect. It wasn't too cold for a swim and she knew for a fact that there would be no storms that evening. Fate was on her side, as well, because there didn't seem to be a soul in sight. They would have the lake all to themselves.

Harry jogged towards the boathouse, trying not to trip over the twigs and things on the path. Hermione's comments about a surprise had intrigued him and it was a time like this he wished he could fly instead of walk.

"Hey," he said softly as he saw her standing near the corner of the building. "Sorry I'm late."

She turned around and smiled at him, but didn't say anything. Instead, she walked past him and toward the docks. When she saw he wasn't following her, she crooked her finger and beckoned him to come closer.

"What?" Harry asked, a smile growing on his face.

"Stand right here," Hermione said huskily. "And I'll be right back."

Harry did as he was told, watching as Hermione disappeared around the boathouse. "What are you doing?" he called, not able to stand being there with her and not be touching her.

"Do you want to spoil the surprise?" she asked teasingly.

"Yes," Harry answered. "I'm not a patient soul."

"Didn't anyone tell you that good things come to those who wait?" Hermione asked, as she slipped out of her shorts and t-shirt and wrapped a towel around herself.

"How is you wrapped in a towel a good thing?" Harry asked. "I got to see more of you in the shorts."

"You better not be peeking!" she said, turning around to see if he was. "Okay. Close your eyes."

Harry grinned and closed his eyes. "What are you doing?" he whined.

She stepped from behind the boathouse, and walked toward him, gripping the towel tighter around her. Although she may have sounded quite bold, she was still a little hesitant for him to see her in this bikini. Hermione knew this was silly as he'd seen her wearing nothing at all and didn't seem to have any complaints. With a deep breath, she dropped the towel and said softly, "You can open your eyes now."

Harry opened his eyes and his jaw dropped. "You... Hermione... " He worked his mouth furiously but no sounds came out. "How... you... look...."

She felt a wave of relief wash over her. Lavender had said this was the reaction she would want. "So, I take it you like this?"

Harry nodded vigorously.

She stepped closer and touched his t-shirt playfully. "You're awfully overdressed, don't you think?"

"Compared to you, yes." Harry finally regained his powers of speech.

She grinned and leaned in as if to kiss him, but pulled away at the last second and took off in a dash toward the water. She dove in and surfaced a moment later and looked up at Harry, who was staring at her.

"You're a bloody tease," Harry stated, pulling his shirt off over his head.

"Get your arse in the water," she said, laughing. "It's lonely in here all by myself."

Harry grinned and jumped in after her. "Bloody hell!" he nearly shouted. "It's cold!"

"It's not that bad," she said, swimming closer to him. "You just have to get used to it, that's all."

Harry pulled her to him as his feet touched the bottom. "You make it warm in here," he said, pushing her wet hair behind her ear.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and felt his arms wrap around her waist. She nipped playfully at his lips. "You make me warm all over."

Harry grinned and leaned in, covering her mouth with his. His tongue tasted her over and over again, and his hands moved up and down in the water over her back, twisting into her hair.

She didn't know how or why, but when she was with him, she felt as if all self-control went out the window. She couldn't get enough of him and she knew by the way he was touching her and kissing her, he felt the same way.

Harry felt Hermione wrap her legs tighter around him and in turn, his fingers worked their way into the ties of her bikini. The top floated off easily and Harry pulled them up to more shallow water and buried his face in her breasts.

She leaned down and whispered in Harry's ear words that surprised even her. The old Hermione would never have even thought about, let alone suggested making love in a place so open; where anyone could come by at any moment. "Harry," she whispered. "I want you right now."

"Are you sure?" Harry asked. "Anyone could walk by..."

Desire, want and need shone in her eyes as she nodded and pulled him to her.

Harry moved his hands down from her back and hooked his fingers in the bottoms while Hermione made short work of removing his trunks as well. "Merlin..." he drew in a sharp breath as her hand met his manhood.

"Do you like that?" she asked, knowing full well by the look on his face and the sound of his voice that he did.

Harry nodded, his face buried in her shoulder. "Merlin..." he gasped again. "I don't want to... I want to be in you Hermione..."

"What are you waiting for then?" she asked, hooking her legs around his waist.

Harry pushed into her immediately, loving the way she threw her head back, gasping for breath. Neither one of them spoke as they tried to keep their moans somewhat muffled, not wanting to draw attention.

"That feels so good," she whispered, grabbing onto his back. She couldn't say how many times that they'd made love since they'd been together, but right not at this very moment, she felt they all paled in comparison to this.

"You feel amazing," Harry pulled her as close as he possibly could while kissing down her throat. Hermione brought her head back up and kissed Harry again, running her fingers through his cool, wet black hair. They smiled at each other as Harry pulled out of her, grabbing his swim trunks from the low dock they had thrown their clothing up on. "Now I think we need a real swim," he teased.

"That is what we came out here to do," she said, tying the strings of her top securely around her neck. "But I guess we got a little carried away."

"I blame it on you," Harry said. "If you hadn't put on that blasted bikini we'd just be enjoying a nice innocent swim."

Hermione giggled and swam out further. "So, this is all my fault?"

"Yes," Harry replied, swimming out after her then ducking underwater.

Hermione turned around expecting to see him, but she couldn't see him anywhere. "This isn't funny! Come on, Harry. Quit playing around!"

Harry swam underneath her and encircled both his arms around her legs and pulled. When he'd brought her underwater he released her and swam back up, laughing as he broke the surface.

"You think that's funny, do you?" she said, splashing water at him.

"I do," Harry grinned mischievously. He took a breath and went back under, hearing her shriek as he grabbed at her feet once again.

She plunged under the water once more and surfaced a few moments later, finding Harry laughing his head off. She pushed her hair back and swam toward him. "Truce?" she asked, her face serious.

"Maybe," Harry replied loftily. "What's in it for me?"

"How about this?" she asked seductively, moving closer to him. She made like she was going to kiss him and then forcefully pushed him under the water.

"Hey!" Harry spluttered as he resurfaced. "I lost my glasses!"

"You did?" she asked concerned.

"Shit..." Harry began pawing at the water with his right hand.

Hermione tiptoed softly on the surface afraid that she might step on them. "I'm sorry," she said, looking around the lake. "If it wasn't so bloody dark, we might be able to see!"

"Dammit..." Harry sighed.

"Do you have another pair?" Hermione asked helpfully. "Shit, Harry. I'm so sorry."

"Yeah... I think I have another pair... they look sort of like this." Harry lifted his left hand and grinned. "Got you!" he laughed.

Hermione looked at him with her mouth agape. She folded her arms protectively across her chest. Without another word, she walked toward the shore.

"Aw Hermione come on... I was just kidding around," Harry came up behind her.

She kept her back to him as she used her towel to dry off.

Harry pulled his shirt over his head as he watched her pull her shorts back on. "Are you going to ignore me now?"

With her back still to him, she found her own shirt and quickly put it back on.

Harry crept up behind her and wrapped his arms around her middle. "Come on... you know you're not mad..." he kissed the back of her neck.

She shrugged out of his embrace and looked around for her shoes.

"Hermione!" Harry stood with his mouth agape. "It was a bloody joke!"

Not being able to stand it any longer, she turned around and faced him, a serious, stern expression on her face. "I have one thing to say to you, Harry Potter."

"What?" Harry crossed his arms sullenly over his chest.

A smile broke out across her face and she said, "Gotcha!"

Harry's jaw dropped. "You..." he began to laugh. "All right, you win that one!" He raced towards her and grabbed her up in his arms.

"Scared you didn't I?" she asked, grinning at him. "You can admit it, you know. I won't think any less of you."

"Sod off," Harry replied. "Bloody sodding..." he shook his head as her arms slipped around his neck.

Hermione was about to lean in for a kiss when she heard the sound of voices and footsteps approaching.

"Shit!" Harry set her down and they grabbed their towels and raced off for the protective cover of the boathouse.

"Who is it?" Hermione asked, from behind Harry. "Can you tell?"

Harry pulled her to him so they were as flat as possible. "No… but they've got the same idea that I've got right now..." Hermione peeked around him to see that the couple was kissing.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, squinting her eyes to see if she could recognize the couple. "Is...is that Neville?"

"I don't know," Harry answered, trying to turn her around. "I don't' care if it is..." he tugged on her arm.

Hermione held him off. "Harry! That is Neville! And...no, it couldn't be. Harry, he's with Cho!"

"What?" Harry pushed Hermione away. "Hey..." he began to chuckle. "You're right!"

Hermione smiled. "I didn't even know they fancied each other, did you?"

"I had an inkling that Neville thought more of her... and he's been by her side constantly since we found out she was pregnant." Harry grinned. "I can't wait to tell Ron about this!"

"Don't tease him about this, Harry!" Hermione said. "I think it's great."

"You're right," Harry pulled her back into his arms and nuzzled her damp hair. "You smell like a lake."

"I wonder why," she said sarcastically.

"You should come back to my cabin and take a shower," Harry's eyes held a lusty gleam to them.

"There's a perfectly nice shower in my cabin," she said teasingly. "I could probably just shower there."

"But you'll have no one to scrub your back for you," Harry kissed her shoulder.

"I bet I could manage," she said, enjoying this a little too much.

"No, I don't think you can," Harry picked her up and tossed her over his shoulder. "It's a requirement here at Hillsdale that we pick a guest each holiday and scrub them down in the shower."

Hermione laughed. "They didn't mention that when we checked in."

"It's a secret," Harry smacked her on the bottom as he carried her off to his cabin.

*** *** ***

Hermione knocked softly on the door to Cho's cabin, not wanting to wake the girl if she was kipping. She wanted to talk to her about Harry and also question her about the scene by the lake the previous evening.

"Hermione?" Cho said, opening the door. "This is a nice surprise. What brings you by?"

"Just seeing how you're doing," Hermione slipped inside. "I feel like I haven't talked to you in ages."

"I know," Cho agreed. "Your dad's been coming by everyday to check on me. He's really been great. I don't know how to repay him for all he's done."

"He won't take your money," Hermione sighed. "But I wish he'd talk to me again like a human being." She sat down on the chair next to Cho's bed. "I really wish he'd see what a great guy Harry is too."

Cho sat down on the bed and looked sympathetically at her friend. "If he had the chance to get to know him, I'm sure your dad would love Harry."

"I agree... especially if he knew what Harry's done for us, for everyone." Hermione leaned forward. "Sooner or later he'll have to realise it. I have no intentions of giving Harry up."

Cho smiled warmly at her friend. "Harry has no intentions of giving you up, either. You mean a great deal to him. I've known him a long time, Hermione. I've never seen him look at anyone the way he looks at you."

Hermione blushed. "I'm glad to hear that," she said. "Listen... I know you can get up and around now and I thought you might like to take a walk or something, just to get out of the cabin..."

"I'd love that," Cho replied. "Cabin fever has definitely set in these past few days." She slipped her sandals on and grabbed her keys and followed Hermione out the door.

"So I do have one thing to ask you," Hermione said as they got onto the path.

"Okay," Cho said, looking at Hermione.

Hermione looked at her slyly. "So Harry and I were taking a dip in the lake late last night and we saw something very interesting...."

"Hermione, I'm happy for you and Harry, but I don't want to hear about what you and he...what I mean is, he's my friend and all, but I don't really want to hear about..."

Hermione laughed. "No..." she began to giggle harder and Cho smiled. "No! I meant he and I saw a certain two people near the shore snogging..." she grinned as the black haired girl turned red.

"Oh," Cho said, trying to play it off. Hermione could have been talking about any two people. She and Neville certainly couldn't have been the only two people on the grounds snogging last night. She decided to try and steer the conversation in another direction. "So you and Harry had a midnight swim? Rather bold of the two of you, wouldn't you say?" she asked, looking away.

"No, no..." Hermione shook her head. "You're telling me more about this! It certainly looked like you and one Neville Longbottom." Hermione bumped Cho's shoulder with hers. "When did you two get together?"

"We're not together!" Cho exclaimed. "We just kissed once or twice last night."

"Well he fancies you," Hermione replied.

Cho smiled, but as soon as she saw the knowing grin on Hermione's face, she frowned. "Did he, um, say anything to you?" she asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

"No," Hermione said. "But it's plain to see, clear as day. He hardly left your side that night after the... dance... and he's always talking to Harry about you."

"He is?" Cho asked, excitedly. She coughed. "I mean, he is?" she asked again, trying to sound much cooler.

"Oh Cho... come on!" Hermione smiled at her. "That day after the dance when you mentioned about going on a double date with him, I've never seen anyone's eyes light up like that!"

Cho laughed. "Well, you've obviously never seen yours when Harry walks into the room!"

Hermione grinned. "All right, but I can't see my own eyes," she teased. "So I'll have to take your word for it."

"Speaking of which," Cho said pointedly. "Where is the light of your life at? Let me guess? On the golf course with his uncle and your dad?"

"If you're referring to Harry, he's got dance lessons this afternoon," Hermione replied. "Dudley," she spoke his name with a grimace. "Is probably out searching for me if he's not wolfing down everyone's dinner in the kitchens."

Cho giggled. "I heard that Dudley's been hounding you in the ballroom. Neville says it's nearly painful to watch."

"It's also quite painful to be watched," Hermione said. "If I make eyes at Harry, he's already looking at me and Dudley steps on my foot whenever I look away from him..."

"Ouch," Cho said sympathetically. "I remember right after I first started here I had to dance with him, too. I don't know which was worse. His stepping on my toes or his horrible breath."

Hermione shuddered. "Let's talk about something else," she said. "Like you and Neville."

"I was wondering when we were going to get back to that," Cho said with a frown. "I don't know what you want me to tell you. I don't know how I feel to tell you the truth."

"Really?" Hermione asked. "You certainly seemed to enjoy yourself last night," she teased.

Cho's cheeks reddened. "Okay, I liked kissing him, but I'm not exactly someone he could take home to his grandmother, am I?"

"Why not?" Hermione asked. "I mean... granted, I don't know Neville that well but I don't think he'd mind."

Cho abruptly stopped walking and looked at Hermione as if she was out of her mind. "Couldn't you just see him introducing his grandmother to the pregnant dance instructor who has no money, no future and no idea what she's going to do with the rest of her life, thank you very much. I think he'd rather run a mile. I know I would."

"Well you have to worry about your future," Hermione replied. "You and your baby's. And if you don't mind my saying so, I honestly think Neville would be more than happy to have you in HIS future, baby or not." The girls began walking again, silent for a few minutes. "Harry and I talked a little about what we want to do with ourselves."

"Oh?" Cho asked, glad for a change of subject. "I know I may be biased, but I think he's going to be the best Auror they've ever seen. He was practically born to be one."

"That's what he said," Hermione nodded. "And with his track record of 'beating the bad guys' I don't think he'll have to worry about being accepted. Especially if I'm the Minister for Magic."

"You are ambitious," Cho said, impressed. "I can just see the newspaper headlines now about the power couple of the wizarding world...and it all started on a dance floor..."

Hermione laughed loudly. "That's a good one," she said. "I hope we're still together like that if or when I get elected."

"I think you will be," Cho said with a wink at Hermione. "You know, he's worked so hard. Before you came along, it was practically all he talked about. It means a lot to him."

"Really?" Hermione said. "I thought dancing was the most important thing to him."

"It's one of the things he enjoys," Cho said. "But this Auror thing, it's in his blood, Hermione. You should have seen him at school. He wasn't what you would call the best student by a long shot. He always used to do just what was needed to get by. When he heard about all that he'd have to do to be even considered for the training program, he really buckled down and graduated near the top of the class."

Hermione was proud when she heard that. "That's good of him," she said softly. "You have to have an immaculate record to get into Auror training."

"Yeah," Cho said, nodding. "And he knew he'd never make it in on his name alone."

"Really?" Hermione was surprised. "He should- he's the one who vanquished Voldemort. His family name has been known for generations as fighters for our side." She caught Cho's sideways glance. "I read a lot."

"Obviously," Cho said with a laugh. "But, seriously. You know that if he wasn't good enough, the papers would eat it up. And he'd never want it that way. You know that as well as I do."

"I do," Hermione nodded.

"Good afternoon," a voice interrupted them and the two girls looked up to see Vernon Dursley in front of them.

"Afternoon," Hermione returned the greeting.

"Hello sir," Cho said a bit nervously.

Vernon forced a smile on his face. "Miss Chang, it was brought to my attention that you haven't been out on the dance floor lately. Some of the guests miss you."

"Oh…" Cho seemed at a loss for words. "Well… I've managed to catch a nasty summer cold, and Ron and Luna also decided they wanted some time out there since he learned everything so quickly…"

"Besides that," Hermione interrupted. "She's taken over some dance classes. She's taught me a lot Mr. Dursley. Originally someone named… Harry Potter I think was it?" she looked at Cho who nodded, playing along. "Harry Potter, right- he was originally teaching me and then he stepped back and said that Cho here could teach me more than he ever could." Hermione shrugged and gave him her most innocent look.

"I see," Vernon coughed. "Well… by all means enjoy the rest of your day." He nodded and left them.

Hermione and Cho waited a few minutes before bursting into laughter. "What a cool liar you are Hermione!" Cho exclaimed. "I didn't think you had it in you!"

Hermione grinned. "That comes from living with my cousin- she's taught me everything I need to know just by watching her tell story after story to get out of punishment for coming in late when we were younger."

The two girls continued their walk along the grounds exchanging more small talk when they found themselves back at Cho's cabin. "Thank you for the walk," Cho said, yawning. "Now I can feel as if I did something to warrant taking another kip."

Hermione laughed. "Feel better Cho- Harry's talked to Luna and she'd love for you to get back to the ballroom. I'm not sure what my father has said about that but-"

"Next time he pops in I'll be sure to ask him," Cho interrupted. "Thanks again, Hermione. For everything."

Hermione waved goodbye as Cho closed her door and started off towards the dance studio.

*** *** ***

Ginny paced angrily back and forth in her cabin. Her ploy to get Draco back wasn't working, as he managed to walk by several times with that Lavender, each time he was touching, grabbing, or kissing her more and more.

"Ugh!" Ginny threw her jumper across the room. "Bloody insufferable git!" she sat down hard on her bed. She could call Draco Malfoy as many names as she liked but it still didn't change one thing- her feelings for him.

She wanted him, pure and simple. Ginny wished she could go back to the beginning of the summer and take back her comment that she wanted to keep things strings free. "Stupid git," she muttered to herself. Sighing, she pulled herself off the bed and dressed in her swim costume for another day of being a lifeguard at this silly place.

Stationed at her chair a quarter of an hour later, Ginny lazily sipped a soda while keeping an idle eye on the guests in the water. The water was certainly shallow enough, she thought, it was a wonder that Vernon Dursley actually thought people could drown in this muck of a lake.

"Hi Ginevra," an accented voice made her look down.

"Hi, Lukas," Ginny answered in a bored voice. She'd taken to flirting with him whenever Draco was nearby but she was afraid that she'd now given him the wrong idea. The German lifeguard was certainly good looking but Ginny simply wasn't interested. "Please don't call me Ginevra," she said now. "I would really prefer to be called Ginny."

"Ginny," Lukas nodded his head. "How are you this fine day?"

"I'm fine on this fine day," Ginny suddenly sat up as she saw Draco's blond head coming around the bend in the path. She slid down; her body brushing against Lukas's the whole way. "Sorry about that," Ginny said, smiling up at him.

"It's all right," Lukas said, letting his hand travel down her arm. Ginny batted her eyelashes coquettishly at him, peering at Draco who had stopped on the path and was glowering at them, his arms crossed over his chest.

"So…" Ginny trailed her fingers over her co-worker's chest. "Would you mind getting me a soda? Mine's all warm now…" she pouted briefly. "I'd be much obliged." She smiled up at Lukas again.

"Of course," Lukas replied in his heavily accented English. Ginny rummaged in her bag and handed him a few quid.

"Thank you so much," Ginny brushed her lips near the corner of his mouth, her eyes turned to Draco the entire time. His face was so red it almost looked like it would spread over his hair in a minute.

"I will be right back," Lukas nodded his head and turned away. Ginny watched him go for a few moments for good measure but when she turned to see if Draco was still watching her he was gone.

"What?" Ginny scanned the surrounding area but Draco was gone. "Bloody bastard…" she turned to go back to her chair.

Draco waited until Ginny was a step up before grabbing her around the waist. "Come with me," he said evenly.

"What the hell are you doing?" Ginny shrieked, trying to pull away. "Draco put me down!!!"

"Why?" Draco forced her over to the boathouse.

"I have a job to do." Ginny sneered.

Draco glared at her. "You owe me," he snapped. "And if you don't talk to me, I'm going to spill your little secret about the wallets."

Ginny harrumphed and went into the boathouse. Draco closed and locked the door behind them. "I have nothing to say to you," she said, tossing her red hair over her shoulders.

"Well I have plenty to say to you." Draco backed her up and placed a hand on the wall on either side of her.

"Oh so now you want to talk?" Ginny smirked. "Too bad, I'm not interested in anything you have to say."

"Too bad," Draco mocked her. "I've put up with you cosying up to that idiot out there all week long!"

"Oh, because you haven't been in the lake and all over Lavender every single bloody day?" Ginny shot back.

"Only because YOU were all over that bloody idiot!" Draco shouted back.

Ginny smirked. "Goodness Draco, it certainly sounds like you're jealous. And just a few weeks ago you said you wouldn't care if I dated other guys." She turned away. "At least they're honest about their feelings for me."

"And you don't think I was being honest?" Draco snapped.

"No," she answered. "I don't think you've been honest at all. I think you're scared."

"Why would I be scared of you?" Draco asked harshly.

She shook her head and laughed. "Not scared of me, you idiot. Scared of how you feel about me. You've never cared about anyone, but yourself. The thought of putting someone else's needs above your own probably scares you death."

"That's pathetic." Draco snapped.

"No, that's not pathetic," she said defensively. "What's pathetic is you acting as if you don't care when everything you've done these past few days shows that you do. If you didn't care, why would you get so upset if I was flirting with someone else? You said yourself what we had was just for fun, right? No feelings involved, right? Well, if that's the case, why did you get so angry just now?"

"You want to know why?" Draco asked, suddenly incensed.

"Yeah," she said, narrowing her eyes. "Enlighten me."

"Because, Weaselette..." Draco slapped his hands to the wall on either side of her. "You're MINE, do you hear me? MINE!" He leaned in and kissed her hard, banging her head against the wood before bringing his hands to cup either side of her face.

She stared back at him, amazed at what he'd just done and what he'd said. "I-I don't belong to anyone," she said weakly.

"You do, dammit," Draco said, his pale eyes boring into hers.

"No," she said, shaking her head. "I don't want it to be like this. I want you to love me."

Draco opened his mouth to say he did love her but stopped himself. "I... want you." he said. "I... like what we have between us. But I can't love anyone." he dropped his head down.

She scoffed. "Why not?" she asked. "What makes you so above it all?"

"You don't understand!" Draco nearly shouted. "You weren't raised with my father telling you how to act, how to dress, how to do my work in school, even telling me who my friends were!"

Ginny softened her stance a bit. She'd suspected that this might be what was holding him back, but she wasn't about to let him use it as an excuse...not when they were so close to having everything they wanted.

"Are you going to spend your life living up to his expectations?" she asked. "You'll end up alone and unhappy. Is that what you want?"

"I don't know." Draco replied.

Ginny felt tears welling up in her eyes, but she wasn't going to let him see her cry. "Okay, then. Well, that's what I expected you to say. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to get back to work."

"You're not leaving," Draco pushed her back against the wall.

"You're hurting me," she said, trying to break free from his hold on her. "Let me go."

"NO!" Draco nearly shouted again. "Fine, I love you all right? You're so fucking far under my skin that I can't look at another girl without wishing she's you! Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"W-what did you just say?" she asked, looking back at him in surprise.

"Is that what you wanted to hear?" Draco asked again, his grip becoming gentler as his shoulders fell.

"It depends on whether or not you meant it or you're just saying it to get me back in your bed?" she asked, still a little hesitant. She'd learned the hard way that with him, you could never really be sure.

Draco pulled away from her and turned to look out the window. Ginny came up behind him, putting her hand on his shoulder. "I'm not good at this sort of thing," he muttered.

"Neither am I," she said softly. "But, we can learn together, right?"

Draco took a deep breath and blew it back out, thinking on how much her words hit home. He didn't want to follow in his father's footsteps and become a dark wizard, even though Voldemort had been gone for many years now. "Maybe," he said cautiously.

"I don't want to be with anyone else," she whispered. "You're the only one that I want. And if we're going to make this work, I have to be the only one you want. You need to end things with this Lavender, Draco."

"What made you change your mind?" Draco asked. "At the beginning of holiday you didn't want things to go this way."

It was a logical question. It was a question that she'd asked herself over and over again. "I don't know. Ever since I met him, you know how I've had that crush on Harry."

She saw him wince at the mention of Harry, but she continued just the same. "When you and I started, I wanted to forget about him and how much it hurt for him to just turn me away all the time. I'm not saying this to hurt you, I hope you know that."

"I guess... although I never understood what you saw in that prat." Draco smirked.

"Give me a break," Ginny said with a grin. "I was 10 years old when I met him! I spent the majority of my teenage years thinking he hung the moon. But, he never looked my way. Not once. And when we got here, you wanted to be with me. And I was flattered that finally someone did. I thought it was just going to be for a laugh, but the more time I spent with you, the more I liked you and the more I liked who I was when I was with you." She blushed. "I sound like a sap, don't I?"

"A little," Draco finally cracked a smile. "But I like it," his hand suddenly found hers. "You and I... we're cut from the same mould Red. I'm an only child and you're the only girl in your family. We both know what it's like to be singled out- your parents just gave you more freedom to decide who you want to be. My path was cut for me the minute I was born."

She smiled at him. Part of her was tempted to make a joke, but now wasn't the time for it. For the first time since she'd known him, he was being honest with her about how he really felt. "You don't have to do what your dad wants. You're not living your life for him. Make your own choices. Do what you want to do. You don't have to do it for me or for anyone else. Do it for yourself."

"I don't know what it's like to do things for myself!" Draco suddenly stood up. "I can't just break away from the things I know!"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Well, it's not as if I'm expecting you to change overnight! I know it'll take some time. All I ask is that you try. Can you do that?"

"You with me?" Draco looked straight at her.

She stepped forward and took his hand in hers. "I love you," she said determinedly. "I'm not going anywhere." Draco welcomed her kiss, wrapping his arms around her warm bare skin. Ginny pressed her lips hard against his before pulling back. "Besides... even if your father disowns you... I have plenty of money due to my little scheme."

"You do?" Draco asked, a smirk pulling at his lips. "I've had more of an influence on you than I thought."

"You may have rubbed off on me a little," she teased. "So what do you say? You want to help bring Harry down?"

"Of course I do," Draco replied immediately. "What do I have to do?" Ginny smiled and whispered in his ear. Draco pulled back.

"You are a lot like me," he said slyly.

"That's not a bad thing," Ginny shrugged nonchalantly.

Draco lunged forward and caught her lips in a heated kiss. Ginny wrapped her arms around his neck as their mouths open, tongues clashing while their hands made quick work of tossing their clothing to the floor.

Draco laid her down, fingering her soft red strands. "Mine," he said.

Ginny smiled back up at him. "Yours," she nodded back.

*** *** ***

It was late afternoon and Ginny and Draco were sitting just outside the kitchens waiting, as always for Dudley to show up. Draco's shift would start in a few minutes and he'd already complained about waiting for the fat lump to show up. Ginny had tried to appease him by snogging him every few minutes, but she, too, was getting fed up with waiting for Dudley. She was beginning to think if she'd made a mistake by including him in the plan.

Ginny smiled as she sat perched on Draco's lap. His arms were wrapped around her and every few seconds, he'd kiss her shoulder or nuzzle her neck. Things were finally going her way.

"So where is that idiot?" Draco moaned again. "Just because he doesn't have to work around here doesn't mean the rest of us don't have to either!"

Ginny nodded. "He's always ten minutes late. I don't think he has any concept of time other than how it relates to breakfast, lunch and dinner."

Draco snorted his laughter before pulling her around so he could kiss her again. 'Maybe this love thing isn't so bad,' he thought as Ginny's sweet taste overwhelmed him. Neither of them even noticed as Dudley finally approached them, eating biscuits out of a tin.

Dudley cleared his throat loudly and tapped Ginny on the shoulder. Ginny got to her feet and frowned at Dudley.

"So nice of you to join us," she said icily.

Dudley rolled his eyes and looked sternly at Draco. "If you don't mind, we have some business to discuss. You can get back to work," he said to him dismissively.

"Excuse me?" Draco was on his feet, his hands clenched at his side.

"I said that you can get back to work," Dudley said angrily. "I have some personal issues to discuss with Miss Weasley, here."

"Oh you mean about your plan to bring down Potter?" Draco smirked.

Dudley looked at Ginny. "What does he know about it?"

Ginny stood between the two boys. She looked at Dudley. "I asked Draco to help us with our plan. We need all the help we can get and he's not exactly Harry's number one fan, either."

Draco smirked. "And you're related to him," he let out a dry chuckle.

"I'm not so sure I like the way you're talking to me," Dudley said. "You do remember who you're talking to, don't you? My father owns..."

Ginny interjected, "Blah, blah, blah. Save it. We don't have time to hear that again. Everyone knows who everyone is. Okay?"

Draco smirked. "What are we meeting for?"

Ginny smiled winsomely at him. "Well, I think it's time I had a little chat with his little girlfriend."

Draco smiled. "How much money have you two made off this?"

"Quite a bit," Ginny admitted proudly. "Frankly, I was amazed how easy it was to do. Most of those people just leave their wallets or bags on the shore while they go for a swim. I just nicked a few while I was on duty. I was amazed at how easy it was actually."

Draco felt a surge of pride. "That's my girl," he pulled her over and nuzzled her hair. Dudley rolled his eyes.

"Can we stop with the affection display?" he asked. "I'd like to keep my dinner down."

Draco sneered at him. "You're just jealous because that Hermione won't give you the time of day. What makes you think that just because Potter's out of the picture she'll turn to you?"

Dudley fumed. "I'll have you know that she was nearly mine before he stepped in and ruined everything! He's always doing that."

"Right," Draco sniggered. Ginny gave him a warning glance and he stopped. "What do you need me to do then?"

"I'm going to need someone to keep Harry away while I talk with Hermione," Ginny said. "I don't care who does it or how they do it, but I need to get her alone. Do either of you have any ideas?"

"I don't want to spend any time with him," Draco snapped. "I hate the bloody sodding prat. What about ol' Dudley here? Certainly they can find some family matters to talk about?"

"I can make up something that he has to do," Dudley suggested, feeling quite proud of himself.

"That could work," Ginny said. "But you can't screw this up. If Harry sees me talking to her, there's no telling what he'll do."

Draco nodded. "If all else goes to hell I'll just play like I've got to talk to Cho. They'll never turn me away from that." he smirked

"Always good to have a backup," Ginny said, nodding. Though there was a small part of her that wondered what exactly had happened between Draco and Cho. At the beginning of the summer, she'd seen the two of them together, but hadn't thought anything of it. He'd told her it wasn't anything serious. Yet, she'd also heard about what Ron had said about Cho, too. She shook these thoughts out of her head. Things were going too well now. She wasn't going to ruin it with petty jealousy again.

The important thing was that Draco loved her. He told her that. She believed him. That was all that mattered. Nothing in the past could have any effect on that. Nothing at all. "So," she said, looking between Draco and Dudley. "We're agreed that we do it tonight?"

"Sure," Draco nodded as did Dudley.

"Tonight's the beginning of the end for Harry," Ginny said happily.

*** *** ***

Hermione hugged her mother. "Sorry Mum... I think that cake I had at dinner was too rich, I'm not feeling especially well." she faked a grimace.

"Would you like me to walk you back love?" Elinore asked in concern.

"No," Hermione shook her head. "I'll just take some medicine and go right to sleep when I get back to the room." She bade her mother and gave Lavender a significant look before leaving the ballroom in a hurry. Harry and Cho were set to return the next night to the ballroom so he was already waiting for her.

Ginny was standing just outside the ballroom pacing. She'd seen Harry leave a few minutes before and she had a feeling that Hermione would follow soon after. As she'd seen Harry leave, she'd wanted to wipe that smug expression off his face. He wouldn't be getting any tonight, Ginny thought to herself.

Hermione closed the doors behind her and jogged towards the path that would take her up to Harry's cabin when she bumped into someone on the dark path. "Oh sorry, I didn't see you there!" she apologised.

Ginny smiled at the girl. "It's quite alright," she said warmly. "I don't believe we've met before. I'm Ginny Weasley. You've probably met my brother Ron. He's Harry's best friend." She stuck her hand out toward Hermione.

"Oh..." Hermione felt ill at ease immediately as she remembered Cho's warning about the girl. "Nice... nice to meet you." she said, shaking Ginny's hand quickly.

"Well, I don't want to keep you," Ginny said. "You're probably on your way to meet Harry, right?"

Hermione stared at the girl. "I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you're talking about." she said, her tone growing cool.

Ginny giggled. She playfully hit Hermione on the shoulder. "You don't have to play that game with me. Everyone knows the two of you are shagging."

Hermione stared at her. "Excuse me," she said, brushing past the redhead.

Ginny stood with her hands on her hips. "Don't think you're anything special. He does this every summer," she called out to Hermione, who stopped in her tracks.

Hermione clenched her fists at her side. "Harry's not like that," she said, her tone tight and controlled.

"And how would you know?" Ginny scoffed. "You've known him a month? I've known him since I was 10 years old. Trust me, he does this every summer. He picks some guest and dazzles her with dance lessons and by the end of the summer he can't even remember her name."

"Shut up!" Hermione said, suddenly furious. "I know all about you! I know how you've fancied him practically your whole life and how he won't give you the time of day! Your little plot to break us up isn't going to work!"

"And who told you this? Cho?" Ginny asked. "She's another one that's been used and abused by Harry. Like I said, I wouldn't get too comfortable in his bed if I were you." She stepped closer to Hermione and patted her on the shoulder. "I just wanted to warn you," she said with as much sympathy as she could muster.

Hermione pushed her hand away. "You're just jealous," she said confidently.

Ginny shook her head. "You poor, deluded little girl. I could care less about Harry. I'm over that silly school girl crush I had on him."

"Good because he certainly doesn't like you," Hermione shot back. "Now if you'll excuse me..." she turned away on the path again.

"Not so fast," Ginny said, calling out to her again. "I have something I think you need to hear."

"No you don't," Hermione started walking faster.

Ginny jogged to catch up with her. "If you know so much about Harry then surely you've heard all about his dream to be an Auror, right?" She stopped and waited for Hermione to turn around, as she knew she would.

"Yes," Hermione rolled her eyes. "We HAVE talked about our futures... together." she added for benefit.

Ginny chose to ignore the last part of Hermione's answer. "Well, I don't imagine one could have too much of a future if they have a criminal record, do you?"

"Exactly what are you implying?" Hermione asked coldly.

Ginny fought off the urge to grin from ear to ear. This was nearly too easy. Hermione was playing right into her hands. "Well," Ginny said with a coy grin. "I'm sure you've heard about the outbreak of thefts around here, right?"

Hermione narrowed her eyes but didn't respond.

"Well," Ginny continued. "I have it on good authority that Vernon suspects dear old Harry in all of this."

"He didn't do it. Harry has enough of his own money," Hermione snapped.

"Do you know for sure that he didn't do it?" she asked pointedly. "I know that your parents are well off. Maybe he wanted to do something to impress them. Maybe he wanted to show them that he was good enough for their daughter." Ginny smiled. "I'm not saying that's true, of course. I'm just saying that the police might see it that way."

Hermione glared at her. "That's ridiculous," she finally said but it was without the confidence she'd had just a few short minutes before.

"Is it?" Ginny asked and then shook her head. "No, the more I think about it, the more convincing it sounds." She frowned. "And it's such a shame, too. After all the hard work Harry's done...to have it end over something like this."

As much as she loved Harry, the seeds of doubt began to plant themselves in her mind. Ginny seemed to notice this for she smiled.

"But you mustn't fret, Hermione," Ginny said with mock sincerity. "There is something that you can do to help him."

"Oh and what's that?" Hermione asked, her eyes burning with tears she refused to let fall in front of this hateful girl.

Ginny shrugged. "It's quite a sacrifice. Simply get out of his life, and stay out." She stared at the other girl, who didn't respond.

"Well, if you really care for him it's not such a big decision," Ginny said with a smile. "I won't keep you too much longer. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

With that, Ginny turned on her heel and sauntered away, resisting the urge to skip back to her cabin. That had been easy and that had been fun. She couldn't wait to share the news with Draco.