Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thanks again everyone for a fantastic round of reviews! You all feel so bad for Ron- so do we, but trust us when we say he'll get something soon enough ;)

Someone also was interested in us putting the song "Time of my Life" on the soundtrack- we honestly don't think there will be enough room on it. Sorry!

Fallin' - Alicia Keys

Oh, oh , I never felt this way
How do you give me so much pleasure
And cause me so much pain
Just when I think
I've taken more than would a fool
I start fallin' back in love with you

I keep on
Fallin'
In and out of love with you
I never loved someone
The way that I'm lovin' you

*** Two Weeks Later***

Draco wasn't sure what he had been thinking when he had asked Lavender to go for a walk with him after lunch. Ever since Ginny had stopped their almost nightly shags, Draco had felt himself getting more and more antsy while his heart argued in vain with his head. If he stopped and allowed himself to think freely of the attractive redhead, it made his heartbeat speed up and he could actually admit he loved her. But then his head would always take over, and it would argue that he was a Malfoy, and Malfoys cared for no one but themselves.

It seemed stupid sometimes, but it was hard to shake the ways one was raised, he mused. His father was forever reminding him that in any sort of relationship; be it romantic or business, Draco came first, then the other person.

He glanced at the talkative blonde next to him. Lavender was gorgeous, sure... but she wasn't Ginny. And for that reason alone... he didn't want to be with her.

Lavender grabbed hold of Draco's arm and gave it an affectionate squeeze. "Do you get to go into town much? They really do have some wonderful shops. Hermione and I went into town this morning to get a birthday present for my aunt. I found this wonderful shop that sells all these great candles and bath oils. It was fantastic. Hermione practically had to drag me out of there!"

She didn't even take a breath before continuing. "So, I found this great scented candle for my aunt. I hope she likes it. Hermione thinks she will, but I had such a time deciding."

She looked over at Draco expecting him to respond, but he seemed to be in his own little world. He'd been like this for quite some time and she didn't want to pester him. Things were going okay now and she didn't want to rock the boat. "I really do wish that you could come with us tonight," she said, with a sideways smile in his direction. "But Uncle Robert insisted that tonight was just for family."

"I probably couldn't get away anyhow," Draco replied vaguely. "I was... sick a few weeks ago, and I can't miss again or Vernon will start docking my pay."

"Perhaps I could stop by your cabin when we get back?" she asked hopefully. "We shouldn't be gone too long."

A few weeks ago, Draco would have jumped at her words but he now shrugged. "There's a party tonight for the employees, I'll probably be at that until really late," he lied. There WAS a party, but he had no intentions of going since Ginny wouldn't speak to him.

"Oh," she said, trying to hide her disappointment. She waited a few moments hoping he'd extend an invitation to her, but he was silent. "Well, I guess that's okay, then."

"Its employees only... guests aren't allowed anywhere near that area," Draco said unapologetically.

"I wasn't expecting you to invite me," she lied, trying to sound nonchalant. "I think it's nice that you and your fellow employees can get together like that." She wondered if she'd done anything wrong or said something that would explain his coolness these past couple of days. She'd acted as she always had and it never seemed to bother him before.

Draco scuffed his feet as they walked along, raising his eyes quickly when he heard a familiar giggle. Ginny was standing by the boathouse, her fingers running along the smooth chest of one of her fellow lifeguards. Draco swallowed as he took in how her long red hair glinted in the sunlight and her curvaceous body in her short shorts and bikini top.

"Did you hear what I said?" Lavender asked, tapping him on the shoulder.

"What?" Draco tore his eyes from Ginny to look at her. "Sorry... zoned out again."

"I asked if you wanted to go for a swim?" she asked, resisting the urge to roll her eyes at him.

"No," Draco answered immediately.

"Are you sure?" Lavender asked, looking out at the inviting lake. "It's really hot out today and it would be really cool and relaxing in the lake." He had that far away look in his eyes again and Lavender stepped in front of him and shot him her most playful look and tugged at his shirt. "Come on! You know you want to!"

Draco stopped cold at the sound of Ginny giggling and cooing again at the dimwit lifeguard. "You're right, Lav, it would feel nice," he faked a smile as he pulled his shirt over his head. "It's too bad we're in broad daylight or I would suggest skinny dipping," he pulled her close, making sure they were in Ginny's eyesight.

Lavender squealed as he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder and ran toward the lake. This was more like it, she thought as she playfully hit him on the back. "Put me down!" she exclaimed, laughing all the way.

"I will... in here!" he dropped her down into the water. He glanced back over his shoulder and was pleased to see that Ginny had turned the lifeguard around so she could watch him in the lake.

Lavender surfaced a few seconds later and saw Draco smiling at her. As soon as she'd pulled her hair back from her face, he'd taken her abruptly in his arms and kissed her quite passionately. When he finally let go of her, she felt quite dizzy.

"Wow," she said breathlessly.

"Been awhile since we've done that hasn't it?" Draco shook his hair, sending droplets of water flying from his white blond strands.

She nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck. "This is more like it," she said flirtatiously.

Draco leaned in and kissed her again, turning her around so her back was to the beach. He opened one eye a crack and saw that Ginny was glaring at him. He slid his hands down Lavender's smooth back, stroking her skin.

She gasped a little as she felt him untie the strings of her bikini. While she may have been enjoying kissing and playing around with him, she hardly thought that this was the right place to do something like this. She took his hand and gently pulled it away and as discreetly as possible, fixed her top.

"What?" Draco asked.

"Anyone could see," she whispered. "They're kids out here, Draco."

Draco nearly groaned. "Alright fine," he said irritably.

Lavender touched his arm. "Come on, we were having fun a few moments ago. Don't be like this."

Draco looked up through his fringe and saw Ginny grinning triumphantly as Lavender retied her top. "You're right... " He helped her tie it before kissing up the side of her neck.

Lavender exhaled in relief. She hadn't expected him to be understanding about this, but for once he was being considerate and compassionate about her feelings on this. "Thank you," she said, touching his cheek.

Draco faked another flirtatious smile and leaned in to kiss her again, running his hands through her long, wet blonde hair. "I just love kissing you," he lied.

He pulled his fingers out of her hair. "Come on... let's go where we can get a little more privacy..." he pulled her out of the water and she tugged her shorts on while he tossed his shirt over his shoulder. He heard Ginny huff angrily as he slid his arm over Lavender's waist.

*** *** ***

Harry tapped his foot absently as his eyes scanned over the crowded room full of Hillsdale employees. He let out a sigh as his head thudded against the wall.

"This is so boring," he muttered. Normally, he'd be the first one out there on the dance floor, tearing up the boards with Cho… but now she was pregnant and still laid up and Hermione…

Harry shook his head. There was no use pouting; Hermione had told him she couldn't sneak away that evening, not for the party at least. It was her mother's birthday and she and the rest of her family had gone into the neighbouring town to celebrate. He missed her. He knew it was silly… but he missed her when he wasn't with her.

"Why the long face Harry?" Neville sat down next to him.

Harry gave Neville a half smile and nodded his thanks as his friend handed him a pint of bitter. "Just bored," he said after taking a long draw from the glass.

"Hermione couldn't make it?" Neville asked.

Harry shook his head slightly. "No… probably better… we're trying to keep things quiet." He drank again from his glass. "Where's Cho?"

"Sleeping," Neville replied. "She was going to come but she was just too knackered."

Harry nodded, a small smile on his lips as he watched Ron and Luna dance closely together on the other side of the room. "You and Cho have been spending a lot of time together lately," he remarked idly.

Neville turned red and hastily gulped back some bitter. "Is that okay?" he asked. "I mean… I know you're best friends and all and I don't want to ruin that and -"

"Neville!" Harry laughed. "It's fine… why would I mind?"

"I just… you two are so close and I don't want to do anything without…" Neville seemed at a loss for words.

"I haven't been as close to her lately," Harry said. "I should be there more for her… but Hermione came along and it's just… whenever I'm with her I can't think of anything else." Harry sighed. "I feel like I'm being selfish… but Cho never complains."

"No, she doesn't," Neville agreed, relaxing. "She's much happier than I thought she would be."

"She is," Harry echoed. He pulled back the rest of his pint and set the glass down. "I think I'll go check on her… if she's awake and needs anything." He clapped Neville on the shoulder. "See you later mate."

Harry wound his way through the dancers, nodding and smiling to several of his co-workers. He was almost to the double doors when someone tapped his shoulder.

"Hello Harry," a sultry voice said in his ear. Harry turned around, expecting to see Hermione, but instead found himself face to face with Ginny Weasley.

"Hi," Harry said coolly. She stepped back so he would be forced to notice her. His eyes involuntarily skipped down her body and back up. "Did you need something? I'm rather in a hurry at the moment."

"I thought maybe we could dance," Ginny said, twisting a loose lock of hair around her finger.

"Ginny, can I ask you something?" Harry pushed her out of the way of the door. "Exactly what part of no, never and leave me alone did you not understand?"

"You don't mean that Harry," Ginny said, bringing her face close to his. "Why pass up an open offer such as myself? I won't be around forever."

Harry stared at her a moment. "Get out of my way, and get out of my life. Come near me again, I swear you'll fucking regret it," he said in a cold, low voice.

Ginny glared after him as he stomped out. "Fine Harry… have it your way…" she spun around and bumped into Ron.

"What were you doing with Harry?" he asked.

"Why does it matter?" Ginny asked bitterly.

Ron sighed. "You know he doesn't think of you that way," he said, trying to be gentle. He put his hand on her arm and squeezed. "There are plenty of other guys who would love to date you Gin,"

"Well I don't want anyone else," Ginny said angrily, pulling away. Ron's eyebrows knit together as he looked at her.

"Where'd you get that dress?" he asked.

"What?" Ginny asked. "Did you go through my wardrobe or something before we came here?"

"No," Ron clenched his teeth. "But it looks expensive and I know we don't have a lot of spending money."

"Seeing as you don't control my pay checks, you don't know how much I make OR what I spend it on," Ginny snapped. She had actually bought it that afternoon with the money she and Dudley had divided so far from the wallet scheme. He took some, she took some, and another part they set aside to use against Harry.

"Why are you being so bloody defensive?" Ron shot back. "Did you steal it from someone? I keep hearing about things disappearing around this place!"

Ginny narrowed her eyes. "Some brother you are Ron!" she nearly shouted and several people looked over to see what was going on. "Accusing your only sister of stealing!" she turned away before he could see the shock written over her face at how true his allegation really was.

Ron watched her go as Luna slid her hand over his arm. "What's wrong with her?" she asked.

"I don't know," Ron replied as he watched Ginny slam the doors behind her. "I don't know…"

*** *** ***

Harry scuffed his shoes in the gravel as he walked down the way towards the kitchens. He had been about to go to Cho's cabin when he thought he might bring her some ice cream, knowing it would make her feel better about missing the party that evening.

"Somewhere in here," he muttered as he opened one of the freezer doors. He located a container of strawberry ice cream and grabbed a spoon from one of the drawers.

He walked back to Cho's cabin quickly and knocked, peering inside when he got no answer. Harry smiled as he saw her curled up on her side, immersed in a deep slumber. He set the container on her bedside table before pulling a blanket up and over her; Harry brushed a few loose strands of hair off her forehead before pressing his lips to her skin. "Sleep tight," he whispered.

He cast a freezing charm on her ice cream before shutting her door tightly behind him.

Harry walked back slowly along the path up to his cabin, wondering if Hermione was planning on visiting him that night. He took the long way back, thinking all the while on the events of the past week.

Hermione had come to him nearly every night, staying until about five or six before slipping out of his bed and going back to her own. He absolutely loved being with her, whether they were making love, talking, or dancing.

Over the past two weeks Harry had taught her Latin and salsa, a bit of swing, more tango and she had learned to waltz quite well. Hermione was nowhere near a perfect dancer, but they'd built up enough of a trust between them that Harry could lead her from dance to dance and she could pick it up just by feeling his rhythm.

Harry walked behind a row of guest cabins, his hands stuffed deep in his pockets still lost in thought. He was almost past them when he heard a familiar voice that made his head snap up.

"Dad will you PLEASE stop being so angry with me!" Hermione pleaded. "This is ridiculous; you've said maybe THREE words to me in the past two weeks!"

"It's late, Hermione," Robert said coldly. "You should be in bed."

Hermione crossed her arms. "I don't care what time it is! Mum is in there crying because you are being so horrible these days. I'm not sorry I helped Cho and Harry! Cho would be dead now if I hadn't come and gotten you. Didn't you always say that I should help out if I can? Now I have and you treat me like a stranger that's been left on your doorstep!"

Robert folded his arms across his chest and looked at his daughter. "That's because you are acting like a stranger. Before we got here, I knew who you were, Hermione. And as for throwing back what I've said to you, I don't ever recall instilling in you the idea that you had to lie to your parents. That girl could have died, Hermione. You should have been straight with me in the beginning about what that money was really for."

Hermione sucked in a breath. "I promised her I wouldn't tell Dad," tears pricked at her eyelids but she refused to let them fall. "When I promise someone something I don't go back on that."

"You promised me you would stop seeing those people," Robert said, stepping closer to his daughter and looking her straight in the eyes. "You haven't broken that promise, have you?"

Hermione held herself up straight. "I can't help who I see around here. It's big but not that big," she said bitterly.

Robert sighed. "Hermione, I know you don't understand this now, but someday you'll thank me for this. A boy like that can only lead to trouble. It's too bad his partner had to find out the hard way. It's really in your best interest to stay away from him."

"You don't even know what you're talking about!" Hermione nearly exploded. "You listen to other people's problems and concerns but you barely make time to listen to your own daughter these days!"

"How can I listen when you're not even willing to hear what I have to say?" he asked her, trying to keep his own emotions in check. "I'm looking out for you, Hermione. Now, you might hate me for being so strict with you now, but I'm willing to chance it if it keeps you safe."

"I'm not in any bloody danger!" Hermione said angrily.

Robert let out a hollow laugh. "Not now you aren't. But, I'd hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't found out about all of this when I did. Do you want to end up pregnant and abandoned? Because if you had continued to see that boy that's what would have happened. You don't even know him, Hermione. You may think you do, but you don't."

"I'm not going to end up pregnant or abandoned," Hermione replied in a lower tone of voice. "If you took five minutes to talk to Harry without accusing him of something, you'd realise that."

Robert laughed, which only seemed to infuriate Hermione even more. Not wanting to cause his daughter anymore pain, he again stepped closer to her. "I don't need to talk to him. If I did, he'd feed me the same lies he'd been feeding to you. I know what I know and I saw what I saw. Vernon hasn't had too many nice things to say about him. From what he says, this Harry is nothing more than a troublemaker."

"That's because...." Hermione stopped before she revealed Harry's relation to them. "Because he hates him."

"And you know this because Harry told you that, right?" Robert asked, sarcastically.

"And I trust him," Hermione returned coldly. "More than I'd ever trust Vernon Dursley."

"Okay," Robert said, shaking his head in disbelief. "Go ahead, Hermione. Do what you want. Mess up your life. Do it for someone you don't even know. Don't come crying to me when it all blows up in your face." He knew he was being unnecessarily harsh, but he couldn't help it when his daughter was being so stubborn.

"It's late," he continued. "I need to talk to your mum and apologize for my behaviour tonight. I suggest you do the same tomorrow morning. Until then, we both should get some rest." He turned around and stalked inside.

Harry held his breath, knowing he should have gone back when he first heard the shouting but felt like he was glued to his spot behind the tree. He could hear her crying softly on the porch and literally had to restrain himself from going to her side and taking her back to his cabin to comfort her.

He waited a few more minutes before he heard Hermione get up and go in, closing the door softly behind her. Harry saw a light go on in what he figured was her bedroom and headed back up the hill, figuring she wouldn't be coming that night.

Harry realised that their situation was even harder on her than he previously thought. She was risking her relationship with her father for his sake. "I can't let her push her family away," Harry said to himself as he let himself into his cabin.

Hermione lay on her side in her bed, trying to stifle her tears. Her mother's birthday had been a complete disaster- her father refused to come out of his sullen attitude he'd been in with her for the past few weeks and her mother had finally tried to get him to spill and he'd wound up shouting at Elinore.

Lavender had tried then to get him to calm down but he'd gone off on her as well. Hermione had tried to stay quiet but she stuck up for her mother and cousin and her father had simply up and walked away from their supper.

The drive back had been almost unbearable, with each family member lost in their own thoughts. Hermione had once again tried to corner her father before they went in but it was almost as if he could hardly bare to look at her anymore.

After about forty minutes of lying in bed, Hermione sneaked a glance at her cousin who seemed to be dead to the world. She blindly pulled on a pair of jeans and Harry's shirt that she had yet to return and left the cabin, heading for his place on the hill.

Harry had just started to doze off when he heard a light knock at his door. He thought it perhaps was just the wind, but he heard it again a moment later. He got up and slid his glasses back onto his nose and stumbled for the door.

"Hermione?" he blinked confusedly.

"Can I come in?" she asked, her voice trembling. Harry held the door open and ushered her inside.

"What is it?" he asked, pulling all the shades down so no one could see inside. "Are you all right?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, not really," she said, sitting on the edge of his bed. "I think… my father hates me," she began to cry again. "I've never disappointed him before and now he can't stand anything I do!"

Harry sat down next to her and pulled her close. He hugged her tightly as she cried on his shoulder. "I'm sorry," he said softly. "I feel like this is my fault."

"It's not," Hermione said. "I love my father… but I don't want to be with him forever. I want to be with you… I just wish he could see that!"

Harry hugged her close. "I want to be with you too," he stroked her hair soothingly. "We'll figure out a way to make this work Hermione. I don't want to distance you from your family but I can't lose you."

"You won't," Hermione raised her head up. Harry smiled at her and gently pressed his lips to hers. "Can I just stay here tonight… just lie with you?" she asked. "I don't think… I'm just not really in the mood…"

Harry put a finger over her lips. "Come on," he moved up to the head of his bed and she crawled after him. He pulled a light blanket over them as she settled herself into his arms.

"I'm sorry to just barge in on you like this," Hermione said a few minutes later.

"It's all right," Harry said. "I didn't think you'd come at all."

"Couldn't help it," Hermione finally smiled. "You're like a bloody addiction."

*** The Next Evening ***

The next day, Hermione and Lavender were sitting in the restaurant enjoying a late lunch. Hermione had just finished another lesson with Harry that had left her quite confused. After their closeness the night before, he'd been a little secretive. She'd gotten the feeling that he was planning something, but she hadn't pushed the issue and instead concentrated on the lesson.

He was teaching her swing dancing and while she was enjoying it, it was the most strenuous of dances. All the lifts, turns and steps left her quite exhausted, but somewhat exhilarated. She loved learning new things and she had to admit it didn't hurt when she was so fond of the teacher.

Hermione was just finishing up her sandwich when she saw Lavender again look around the restaurant. There was no need to ask what she was looking for.

"He's not here," Hermione said, with as much sympathy as she could muster being as it was Draco Malfoy she was talking about. "You already asked."

"I know..." Lavender sighed. "He wanted me to go to some party with him last night but we were out..."

Hermione stopped herself from retorting that he was probably off snogging some other girl, but since Lavender had actually been so great lately what with covering for Hermione, she held her tongue on this one.

"That was some dinner last night, huh?" Hermione asked, changing the subject.

Lavender shook her head. "Uncle Robert is so mad... I can't remember ever seeing him be so unreasonable before. Have you tried to explain to him about Harry?"

Hermione shook her head and frowned. "He won't listen. I could talk until I'm blue in the face and he won't change his mind."

Lavender patted her cousin supportively on the shoulder. "He'll have to come around sooner or later," she said. "It's so funny... you and I both have boyfriends! I never thought I'd see this day!"

"Yeah," Hermione said with a laugh. "Speaking of which, would you mind covering for me again tonight?"

"What's going on?" Lavender's eyes brightened. "You're meeting Harry at night now?"

Hermione nearly choked on her soda. "No," she said, putting her glass down. "I mean, sort of, but it's...you know...just...innocent, of course."

"Right," Lavender leaned back. "What are you two up to tonight then?"

Hermione smiled as she remembered how evasive he'd been about his plans. "I don't know. He wouldn't say. He just said for me to wear my best dress and he'd take care of the rest. Do you have any idea what that could mean?"

"Somewhat, but your best dress?" Lavender grimaced. "Hermione your best dress is... not very... best…"

Hermione frowned. "Blast! You're right and I don't have time to go shopping." She looked over at Lavender. "Could I borrow something of yours?"

Lavender's eyes gleamed. "Of course you can!" she grabbed Hermione's hand and they flew out of the restaurant.

*** *** ***

Harry surveyed his cabin with satisfaction. He'd turned off all the lights and set candles in the corners of the room and on the table he'd set up in the middle of the floor. The table was set with a white cloth, his aunt's china dishes (that he had to put back the next morning before she woke up and saw they were missing) and champagne chilling in a bucket. "I hope that's everything," he muttered, thinking back to everything Cho had told him to do.

Hermione couldn't believe it, but she actually felt somewhat nervous as she approached Harry's cabin. By now, she'd been there loads of times, but here she was feeling nervous, anxious and excited all at the same time.

She smoothed the fabric of Lavender's black linen sundress. It was actually quite nice and Hermione had always admired it. It was embroidered with small white flowers along the neckline and hem. On her feet, she wore a simple pair of black sandals.

Her hair hung loose in ringlet curls. She hoped that she wasn't overdressed. They were just going to be staying in at his cabin. Yet, he had said to wear her best dress. Stifling nervous laughter, she knocked tentatively at his door.

Harry felt his heart jump into his throat. He crossed the cabin in only a few strides and pulled open his door. "Hi...' his voice trailed off as he took her appearance in. "Wow..."

"I didn't overdo it, did I?" she asked, suddenly feeling self-conscious. "I can go back to change..."

"No..." Harry grabbed her hand and pulled her into the cabin. "You look gorgeous..." he pulled down nervously on his jacket- he was wearing the tuxedo outfit that he wore when dancing in the ballroom.

She visibly relaxed and beamed back at him. She gave him an appraising look as well. "You look quite handsome."

"Thank you," Harry bowed and kissed the back of her hand. "Anyway... welcome to Casa de Harry," he said in a cheesy accent, making her giggle. "I just thought you could use a bit of cheering up after last night."

She took in the room and felt tears well up in her eyes as she saw all the trouble he'd obviously went to. "You did all this for me?" she asked softly, putting her hand over her mouth.

"I did," Harry replied, pulling her hand down so he could sneak a kiss. "I don't like seeing you upset... and it's my duty to cheer you up."

"Wow," she said, smiling at him. "This is like our first date then?"

"I suppose it is," Harry agreed, kissing her again. He escorted her over to the chair, pulling it out for her. "Your seat, madam?"

She winked at him and took her seat. "You are something else, you know that?'

"Why thank you," Harry grinned cheekily at her. "Anyway... I have a special deal here with a house elf back at my school - think of whatever you want for dinner and say it to your plate."

"House elves?" Hermione asked, wondering if she should mention to him that she was in favour of house elves rights.

"Yeah... he used to work for the Malfoys actually... and then I got him out of that my second year, and he started working at Hogwarts. Its funny- Dumbledore, our headmaster, actually pays him..." Harry chuckled.

Hermione relaxed at this. "I kind of have a soft spot for house elves," she admitted.

"Do you?" Harry smiled as he envisioned his meal, which appeared a moment later. "Dobby's a good elf. A bit eccentric, but he's loyal."

Hermione's own meal appeared then and she looked adoringly at Harry from across the table. "How did you know I needed this?"

"I like to think I know you quite well by now," Harry flirted.

She thought of her father's words last night. He was wrong. She did know Harry and she trusted him. "So what else do you have planned?" she asked.

"You'll see," Harry smiled as they both dug into their food. "You know," he said several minutes later. "We've talked a lot about things but I don't really know what you want to do with yourself... I mean... what do you want to do with your life?"

"We haven't talked about that, have we?" she asked, looking quite thoughtful. "I want to be the Minister for Magic someday."

Harry choked on his food. "You what?" he wheezed, coughing hard.

She looked a little affronted. "Surprised?"

"A little," Harry coughed again. "Wow... Minister for Magic!"

"Well," she said. "I know it's a bit ambitious, but I like to think if I work hard enough that I can do it." She blushed. "I know it sounds stupid. A lot of my professors at Beauxbatons thought so, too. But, I kind of like proving people wrong."

"I think you'd make a great Minister," Harry said honestly. "And I can even say I knew you back when," he teased.

She wanted to say that she hoped that he would still know her then; that perhaps their relationship would be...she stopped herself from thinking like that. Their relationship was still new and fragile. It wasn't time to start planning weddings when there was so much still left in the air. "So, what about you?" she asked. "What do you want to do when you grow up?"

"Grow up?" Harry made a face and she laughed. "Well... I'm not sure. For awhile I toyed with being a professional Quidditch player, but I was tired of being in the limelight. So I started working here as a dancer." He shrugged. "I'm thinking perhaps one day though, I might be an Auror."

"Really?" she asked. "So, I guess you haven't had enough of hunting down the bad guys, huh?"

Harry shrugged. "Seems to be what I do best... aside from dancing."

"I can think of something else you do quite well," she said cheekily, winking at him.

Harry grinned. "Ms Granger... are you hitting on me?"

"And I was trying so hard not to have you catch on to me so quickly," she answered back without missing a beat. "I guess I'll have to rethink my tactics."

Harry laughed. "Well before the love, we have the champagne," he poured them each a glass. "What do you want to toast to?"

She took her glass in her hand and said, "To life's little surprises."

Harry nodded, looking deeply into her eyes as he brushed his glass against hers and they both drank. "Well... would you care for a dance?" he asked, setting his now empty flute down and holding out his hand.

She nodded and took his hand. "You know I could get used to this."

"I like that idea," he turned and flicked on the CD player. Harry pulled her into his arms, his hand grazing her waist while he pressed her body against his.

"Do you remember what I said that first night we were together?" she whispered.

"Say it again?" Harry replied softly.

"When I told you that I was the best thing to happen to you," she said, raising her head from his shoulder to look into his eyes. "It's the same for me. You're the best thing to happen to me, too."

Harry smiled as he bent his head to kiss her softly on the mouth. His hand left her waist to gently cup her cheek as she opened her mouth and he entered her hungrily.

"I remember what I said that first night we were together too," he said, dipping her and bringing her back up.

"What was that?" she asked, feeling a little woozy from both the champagne and the way he was making her feel.

"That I want you," Harry kissed her again, lifting her body up against his.

Hermione grinned and pulled his jacket away and threw it to the floor and she kissed him hungrily as she tugged at his shirt and began unbuttoning it slowly, knowing full well that she was driving him crazy.

Harry's breath came more rapidly as his shirt fell to the floor; he tugged gently at the shoulder straps of her dress and noted with delight that she wasn't wearing a bra. He guided her over to the bed and they fell atop it, their mouths never breaking apart.

Last night, Hermione had needed him to comfort her, but tonight… all she wanted was the raw, unbidden passion she felt whenever she was with him. His hands skilfully peeled away her clothing until all she felt was air on her body.

Harry shed the rest of his clothing, kicking them carelessly across the floor as he bent his head to claim Hermione's mouth again. His heart was beating so fast he thought he was going to have some sort of seizure and then... he could feel the gentle thrust of her tongue as it met his and he kissed her harder.

Hermione moaned as she arched her back and neck to allow him to trail strong, wet kisses down her throat. Her fingers slinked up and furrowed into his hair.

"I need you," she whispered, and for a moment wasn't sure if she'd said it out loud or just thought it. He looked down at her and his breathing slowed as a grin spread across his face.

Harry looked down at her a moment as her words washed over him. He twisted curls of her hair in his fingers. "You have me for as long as you want me," he said softly.

A serious expression came over her face and she looked up at him and said softly, "What if I want you forever?"

Harry caught his breath a moment. "Then you'll have me forever," he answered huskily.

She beamed at him and let her fingers linger on his cheek before bringing her lips to his once more.