Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty Dancing by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty Dancing

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thanks everyone for your awesome feedback. We're both really happy everyone is enjoying the story. Good news is the soundtrack is planned and recorded and ready for you three winners!

For those of you who are hating Mr. Granger right now- just remember he's being a typical father in only wanting what HE thinks is best for Hermione… they'll have their moment soon where he sees the light.

Also… if you guys hate Ginny and Draco now… just wait till the end of next chapter ;) :p

Why Can't I - Liz Phair

why can't i breathe whenever i think about you
why can't i speak whenever i talk about you
it's inevitable, it's a fact that were gonna get down to it
so tell me
why can't i breathe whenever i think about you
whenever i think about you
whenever i think about you

Early the next morning, Luna was sitting in the cafeteria alone. Being as it was quite early, there weren't that many of her fellow employees out and about. She, on the other hand, had already taught one dance class and was due to teach another one for Cho in less than an hour. The extra hours were wearing on her and it was taking all her strength to keep her eyes open.

Ron grabbed his tray with his cereal and looked around the room. He spied Luna's long jumbled waves and smiled before heading over to sit with her. "Hey," he said sliding in across from her.

She looked up dazedly at him. "Hey," she said softly, trying and failing to stifle a yawn.

"You look tired," Ron commented taking a large bite of his breakfast. "Were you up late? Was your knee bothering you any more?"

She patted his hand. "My knee is perfectly fine. You can stop worrying about it now. And, yes, I am knackered. I've already taught one class this morning and I'm due to teach another five today. Not to mention the fact that you and I have ballroom duty again tonight. I seriously think I'm going to turn into a zombie by the end of the day."

Ron's eyebrows knit together. "Isn't Cho feeling better yet? I thought the doctor said she could start getting up and around again."

"Dr. Granger said she could start taking walks, but she wasn't nearly ready to start dancing again. So until she's better, I'm pulling double duty." She yawned again. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right," Ron stirred his now soggy cereal around in the bowl. "I wish I could help you with the lessons somehow."

"So how have you been?" she asked, propping her chin on her fist and trying to keep her eyes open and her attention focused on Ron.

"Pretty good," Ron said. "I just saw you last night and you asked the same thing."

She gave him a sheepish grin. "I'm sorry. I really am. I don't even know what time of day it is anymore. I had to start carrying around schedules so I'll remember where I'm supposed to be."

Ron smiled. "Well just let me know if there's anything I can help you with." he wanted to spend more time with her and he was still dying to kiss her again.

"Hmmm?" she asked, not hearing what he'd just said as her eyes had drooped shut.

Ron shook his head. "Nothing," he answered. They sat in silence a few minutes. "Hey Luna?"

"Yeah," she said, absently as she took a sip of her coffee.

"I was thinking..." Ron cleared his throat. "Maybe... one night soon when Cho gets better and she and Harry can start doing ballroom duties again... well maybe... and only if you really want to... I was thinking perhaps we could go into town... you know, the next town over from here and maybe get something to eat?" he looked at her hopefully. "Luna?"

She didn't answer because at that precise moment, she'd fallen sound asleep. Right before Ron had began to speak, she'd pushed her own tray to the side and had only meant to rest her head, but she should have known better. As soon as she'd put her head down, she was out like a light.

"Luna?" Ron asked again. He pushed aside her hair and saw to his dismay that she was sound asleep. "Bloody hell... I have the worst luck." he muttered.

"Hey, Weasley," one of his fellow employees called out to him. "You sure are stimulating company!"

"Sod off," Ron frowned at the guy. "Luna... come on you've got to wake up," he prodded her shoulder gently.

"You need to step on the two," Luna said, jumping up from her seat. She looked at Ron groggily. "What's going on?"

"You fell asleep," Ron replied mournfully.

Luna put a hand over her mouth. "I didn't!"

"Yeah," Ron shrugged. "Only for a few minutes though."

She put a hand on his arm. "I'm so sorry! It's not you, really."

"I know," Ron felt a bit better. "But um... I was saying before you fell asleep that-"

"What time is it?" Luna asked, cutting him off.

"Half past ten," Ron answered.

"Oh no," Luna said, getting to her feet. "I've got a salsa class in 15 minutes and I need to get the music from Harry." She quickly picked up her tray and without saying goodbye, dashed out the door.

Ron sighed, staring after her as the same guy that was taunting him earlier laughed at Luna's retreating figure. "I don't see you doing any better," Ron snapped, eyeing the pimple faced girl sitting across from him before leaving his dishes at the table and storming out.

*** *** ***

Harry stood in the ballroom by Neville, trying not to be obvious while stealing glances at Hermione. Every so often their eyes would meet and they'd smile at one another. Harry caught her cousin giving him a few knowing glances but it didn't bother him since the girl was obviously on their side.

"Do you think I should just ask her to dance and if her dad says anything tell him that it's just part of my duties?" Harry asked Neville in a low voice.

"Do you think you should risk it?" Neville asked. "I mean, her dad keeps giving you these nasty glares…"

"Probably not then," Harry's shoulders sagged and he averted his eyes from where the Grangers were sitting to where Ron and Luna were whirling around the ballroom. Ron had really gotten the hang of dancing, and by the looks of things, had also gotten the hang of Luna Lovegood.

Dudley, too, had noticed the looks that were being exchanged between Harry and Hermione, as well as the daggers that Robert Granger was shooting in the direction of Harry. Never letting an opportunity pass to push his cousin's buttons, Dudley excused himself from the group and walked slowly toward his cousin. With a fake smile plastered on his face, he approached Harry.

Harry couldn't help but see Dudley coming towards him and made a move to ask a lone guest to dance but Dudley manoeuvred his way between them.

"Quite crowded in here, isn't it?" Dudley asked, motioning around the room.

"I suppose it is," Harry said in a bored tone of voice. "If you came over here to see if I would dance with you, I'm afraid I have to decline. Guests only," he said, smirking at his cousin.

Dudley's fake smile was replaced by an indignant glare. He knew that he couldn't fight his cousin on the ballroom floor, so he decided to do something that he knew would probably upset his cousin more.

"I don't need to dance with you, Potter," Dudley said with a wicked grin. "In case you haven't noticed, I've spent most of the evenings on the dance floor with one Hermione Granger." As if he thought Harry didn't know who Hermione was, Dudley pointed in her direction.

"That's nice," Harry replied tightly.

"You know I didn't think she was much to look at from the start, but she's actually quite nice and rather charming," Dudley said with a wink. "And I imagine it's only a matter of time before she's sneaking off with me to the boathouse."

"Please," Harry scoffed. "I'm sure the no fraternization with guests rule applies to you as well Dudders."

Dudley laughed. "That's where you're wrong, Potter. I'm not an employee here. Her dad and my dad are all for it. They've practically already got us married off."

Dudley turned around to look at Hermione, who was standing with her cousin and staring in their direction. When she caught Dudley's eye, she turned around.

Harry stared at her a moment. "I don't believe you," he finally said but it sounded unconvincing, even to his own ears.

Dudley shrugged. "I really don't care if you do or don't. The important thing is that her dad thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. He's constantly trying to get us to sit together at meals and to go off on little walks and romantic rubbish like that."

"Walks?" Harry laughed. "More like waddle for you."

Dudley chose to ignore Harry's last comment. He was obviously getting under his skin. "Which brings me to the real reason why I came over here," he said, smiling at Harry.

"I already told you I can't dance with you," Harry smirked at him

Dudley let out a hollow laugh and moved to stand just beside his cousin. Lowering his voice so only Harry could hear, he whispered, "Although I don't see it, apparently you're quite the catch. You've probably had loads of experience. So, what I want to know is...how many dates before you should shag a girl?"

Harry glared at him, his fist clenching so hard that his nails cut into his palm. Neville had to step forward and put his hand on Harry's shoulder to keep him from pulling back and punching Dudley. "Go away Dudley," Neville frowned at him. "Let us do our jobs."

Dudley nodded and with a self-satisfied air walked away and made a beeline for Hermione who was now standing beside her father. Sure enough, Dudley whispered something to her and Harry watched as Hermione was nearly pushed out on the floor by her father to join Dudley.

Harry sighed heavily. "That bloody bastard...." he shook his head. "Thanks for stopping me before I punched him Neville..."

"Are you sure he doesn't know about the two of you?" Neville asked, watching as an unhappy Hermione danced with Dudley. "He sure looked as if he knew exactly what he was doing."

Harry paled. "I hope not... there's no bloody way we could trust him to keep it a secret." He watched with hooded eyes as Hermione miserably stumbled as Dudley stepped on her toes.

Luna came up to join them just then and she smiled at Harry. "I'm about to do you a favour, but you have to know that this is huge and I will never owe you for anything ever in your life after this."

"What?" Harry asked, looking at Neville then Ron who was still on the dance floor with a guest.

Luna grinned. "In just a minute, Ron is going to ask your girlfriend to dance while I get the honour of dancing with Dudley, there. It should buy you some time, if you want it."

Harry's eyes widened. "Luna you're the absolute best," He kissed her cheek.

"I'm a glutton for punishment," she said, looking as Ron approached Hermione and Dudley. She looked back at her two friends as she made her way toward Dudley. "You so owe me for this, Harry."

"I know, and I'll find some way to pay you back someday, I promise." Harry called after her.

Ron cast a glance at Luna, who was awkwardly leading Dudley out on the dance floor. "May I ask the lovely guest for a dance?" he asked Hermione.

"Sure," Hermione said gratefully, taking Ron's hand as he led her to the dance floor. "You saved me."

"Yeah," Ron smiled at her. "Look uh... I wanted to say I was sorry for bursting in on you and Harry when you were..." his eyes involuntarily skipped down to her chest. "I mean... and you weren't dressed and it was really stupid and I'm sorry..." his ears turned red.

Hermione's own cheeks blushed bright pink. "We were just sleeping," she said quickly. "I mean you didn't bust on us doing anything...if anything, we should be grateful to you. If you hadn't woken us up when you did, I'd probably be packing my bags, so I owe you my gratitude."

Ron smiled at her again. "I just didn't want you thinking I was some sort of pervert," he steered her around by the stage. "Besides... someone's waiting for you back there." he nodded his head towards the door that led backstage.

Hermione beamed back at him. She looked over her shoulder to see her parents deep in conversation with another couple and then kissed a surprised Ron on the cheek. "Thank you again," she said, walking as quickly as possible toward the backstage door. As she did, she passed Neville who winked at her.

Harry stood by the door, not wanting to turn the lights on in case anyone saw inside. The door pushed open a bit and Hermione peeked around it. "Hi," he said in a low voice.

"Hi," she said, coming inside and closing the door firmly behind her. "I think I owe your friends Ron and Luna big time for this."

"They're fantastic aren't they?" Harry asked, drawing her immediately into his arms.

"So are you," she whispered, standing on her tiptoes to kiss him. "I guess our idea of being more careful went out the window, huh?"

"This is careful... no lights," Harry said, kissing her again. "We only have a few minutes too."

She grinned as he started to plant kisses along her neckline. "It's bloody torture being out there on the ballroom floor and not being able to dance with you."

"It's bloody torture watching you with that fat arse of a cousin of mine," Harry muttered between kisses. "At least your cousin is on our side."

"He won't leave me alone," Hermione said. "He's relentless. The moment I arrive for meals, he's perched himself right beside me. When we come to the ballroom, he descends on me the moment I walk in the door. I'm telling you if it wasn't for seeing you in your tuxedo, I wouldn't come in here at all."

Harry smiled at her. "I love you," he nipped at her lower lip. "So damn much it nearly kills me seeing you out there and not being able to tell anyone about it."

"I know," Hermione said, nodding her head. She knew that she should leave and that the longer she was gone, the more suspicious it would seem, but she couldn't will herself to move. "I should go," she said softly, but not moving from where she stood.

"Can you come later tonight?" Harry asked, caressing her cheek gently.

An idea came to her when he asked her that question and a broad smile came across her face.

"What?" Harry asked. "You've got a sneaky grin on your face."

She tilted her chin up to kiss him once more and then said conspiratorially, "How would you feel about a midnight swim?"

Harry's eyes widened. "I'll meet you in the boathouse," he replied immediately.

Hermione smiled. "I have a surprise for you, too."

Harry's eyes glowed as he kissed her again. "I'll see you at midnight," he said softly as she smiled and slid back out the door.

*** *** ***

Neville raised a hand to knock softly on Cho's door. "Hey," he said, inching it open. "I just stopped by to see if you needed anything."

Cho, who had read the same magazines over and over again, looked up and beamed at Neville. She was happy to have company. She knew the doctor had prescribed bed rest, but she was getting cabin fever. "Could you get me out of here for a few minutes?" she asked hopefully. "If I don't get out of here soon, I think I'm going to go mental."

"Are you sure that's all right?" Neville asked nervously.

Cho got to her feet and stretched. "Dr. Granger said it'd be all right if I took a walk every now and then. He still doesn't want me to dance yet, but I don't think a walk around the grounds would be so bad."

She walked over to him and put her hands on his shoulders. With a pleading look, she said, "I'm begging you. Take me away from all of this!"

Neville laughed. "Harry always said you were overdramatic," he teased as Cho grabbed a jumper off the back of a chair.

"This from Mr. Mood Swing," Cho said with a laugh. "He's the overdramatic one."

Neville snorted. "That's true." He held the door open for her. "What, do you just want to take a walk or something?"

She nodded excitedly. "And if it's not too much trouble, we could stop off at the kitchens and nick some ice cream?"

Neville laughed loudly. "Of course," he held out his arm for her to take.

Cho followed Neville out the door and held on to his arm tightly as they began to walk. They walked in silence for a few moments before Cho finally spoke. "I'm not an invalid, Neville," she teased. "We can speed up just a bit. I feel like I'm walking down the aisle at a wedding ceremony."

"Oh sorry," Neville replied. "I guess I'm just nervous... I don't want to cause you to get hurt or anything." He looked away towards the forest. "I feel like I already did enough damage taking you to that doctor."

"Neville," she said, putting her hand on his shoulder, turning him around to face her. "That wasn't your fault. I don't want you beating yourself up over that. I don't blame you. You saved me!"

Neville shrugged. "I guess."

"There's no guessing about it," she said firmly. "And I promise to never speak to you again if I hear you feeling bad about it or blaming yourself. I'm fine. The baby's fine. That's the important thing."

Neville finally smiled. "All right," he said as they started walking again.

Cho was enjoying being out in the fresh air again, and she had to admit, the company she was with. He had been nothing short of wonderful to her throughout everything.

"So," she said with a sideways glance at him. "Tell me what's been going on. What's going on with everyone? Harry never tells me anything anymore."

"He's almost always with Hermione," Neville replied. "I've never seen him like this about a girl before."

"Me, either," Cho agreed. "She's good for him, don't you think?"

"Definitely. She makes him so happy... it's just a shame her dad won't speak up and see the light. You tried to tell him that Harry had nothing to do with you being pregnant right?" Neville looked at her.

"I wanted to," Cho said, "but Harry wanted me to keep quiet. Her dad probably wouldn't believe me anyway."

Neville nodded pensively. "Well there also seems to be something going on between Ron and Luna."

"You're kidding!" Cho said. "She hasn't said anything to me!"

"She's been busy teaching all your classes plus ballroom duty," Neville smiled wryly at her. "Poor girl nearly fell asleep when she sat down for two minutes backstage."

"Oh," Cho said, morosely. She hadn't thought about how all of this would affect Luna. "I can't believe I've been so heartless and selfish not to think about how this could be wearing her out. I'm going to talk to Dr. Granger and see if it would be okay if I start back on ballroom duty, at least."

"I hope he'll let you." Neville tightened his hold on her arm as they went up a small hill. "Harry goes but he just stands by me and watches Dudley with Hermione."

Cho rolled her eyes. "Don't tell me that the little boss man is still following her around? He's probably just doing it to upset Harry." When Neville nodded, Cho shook her head. "And if I know my friend, he's probably one step away from killing Dudley, right?"

"Right," Neville sighed. "I really do feel bad for him, I mean, they not only have to keep it a secret from Vernon Dursley but from her parents." He shook his head. "I see it on both their faces... he tries to pretend he's not watching her, she tries to pretend she's not watching him, her dad glares at Harry all the time..."

"It just doesn't make sense," Cho said, stopping and looking out at the lake. "Her dad always seems so nice and reasonable when he comes to check up on me. He doesn't look as if he's judging me or thinks badly about me because of what happened. I guess he's saving it all up for Harry and that's not right. I feel as if that's my fault."

"You shouldn't," Neville stopped and moved his hand down to grip hers. "I mean... yeah... you got pregnant but still... I'm not sure why you're letting Malfoy walk around here free as a bird while you take on all the responsibility."

"Vernon thinks he's the golden boy," Cho said, frowning. "He'd probably think I'm a tart that got what she deserved. Who do you think he'd believe?"

"Yeah... you being Harry's partner and all," Neville frowned. "At least by the end of the summer we'll all be out of here for good and we'll never have to put up with any of them ever again." His hand still held hers as they began walking again.

"Do you know what you want to do?" she asked conversationally. "When we get out of here, I mean."

"I have no idea," Neville smiled. "We still have another few months to figure it out. What about you?"

"Do you know of anyone who would want a single mum?" she asked, meaning it as a joke, but her voice took on a sombre tone. "I'm sure the jobs and blokes will be mine for the taking, huh?"

"They'd be crazy to look at you and not think you're gorgeous," Neville said, blushing immediately afterwards.

Cho was caught off guard by his compliment. She didn't know what to say. "Let's see what you say when I'm nine months along and as big as a house."

"I'm sure you'll still look fine," Neville mumbled.

"You're sweet," she said, affectionately patting him on the arm. "Blind, but sweet."

Neville was still bright red. "I always thought you were pretty," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "At school and everything... you were always nice even when the others were mean."

"I don't see how you put up with it," she said. "I admired how you stood up to all of it and acted as if it didn't bother you. And Malfoy, he was the worst at it...still is. But, I always had blinders on when it came to him. I couldn't see what a rotten guy he really was." She patted her stomach. "Until it was too late."

When he didn't say anything, she stopped again to stare at the lake. "I'm really scared, Neville."

"Why?" Neville asked.

"I don't know what I'm doing. That this baby already has so much against it. I can barely take care of myself. Do you really think I can take care of a baby, too?"

"I'll help you," Neville offered. "Harry will too."

With tears shining in her eyes, she turned to look at him. "You mean that, don't you?" she asked as a tear fell down her cheek.

"Yes," Neville brushed the tear away with his thumb. His fingers lingered on her smooth cheek and he found himself leaning in closer to her.

To her surprise, Cho felt a little light-headed as he inched closer to her. Their faces were merely centimetres apart.

Neville wondered briefly what he was trying to do here- was he really about to kiss Cho Chang? A pregnant Cho Chang. It seemed as if he'd thought about it too long for Cho leaned forward in that moment and their lips met.

Cho pulled away, shocked at what she'd done, and surprised at how it had made her feel. She smiled nervously at Neville.

He stared at her a moment before leaning in again, this time wrapping his hand around her nape. Her arms encircled his neck as they kissed, his fingers toying with her silky black hair.

"Oh boy," she said, when he pulled away from her. He still had an arm circled around her waist. "That was unexpected."

"Yeah..." Neville replied dazedly. He looked down at her and seemed to snap himself back together. "Cho... Merlin I'm sorry I shouldn't have kissed you like that... not when you're... you're..."

"You don't have to be sorry," she said softly. "I kissed you back...and...well, the truth is, I kind of liked it."

"You did?" Neville asked. "Really?"

"Don't sound so surprised," she teased.

Neville smiled at her. "All right... we should have done that before. What made you wait so long?" he teased.

She giggled. "Well, I've been a little preoccupied."

"Yes, yes you have." Neville took up her hand again as they walked away from the lake.

"Would you mind if we stopped by the studio?" she asked. "I wanted to pick up some CD's to listen to. I've listened to the same ones for days now."

"No problem," Neville replied. "Tell me when you want new ones; I'll bring them to you whenever you want."

"A girl could get used to this," she said as they walked in the direction of the studio. Cho was about to continue with her train of thought when she saw to her surprise that the lights were on inside. That was strange as she, Harry, and Luna always made sure to turn them off and lock the door whenever they left.

"Do you know if anyone booked the studio for tonight?" she asked Neville.

"No, I don't think so," Neville rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Maybe Harry and Hermione..." his voice trailed off as the light went out and the door opened. Both of them were surprised to see an extremely large, hulking figure step outside.

Thinking quickly, Cho pulled Neville behind the tree so they wouldn't be seen. "Is that Dudley?" she whispered.

"I think so... well yes... it has to be. No one else on the planet weighs that much." Neville replied. "What is he doing in the dance studio?" he paled suddenly.

"Maybe he got it confused with the kitchen?" Cho joked. She shook her head. "I'm sure that's not it. He could probably get to the kitchens blindfolded."

"No..." Neville shook his head and pulled her further into the shadows. "Harry and I... we think he knows about him and Hermione. He might have been trying to trap them..."

"How would he know?" Cho asked. "You don't think he's been following them around, do you?"

"No but he's seen Harry watching her in the ballroom..." he told Cho about how Dudley had been taunting Harry earlier that evening. "I actually had to hold him back... and then Ron and Luna helped the two of them get together backstage for a few minutes. But Dudley... Hermione hates him but apparently their fathers are practically marrying the two of them off."

"That's all they need," Cho said angrily. "We should tell Harry about this."

"Tomorrow," Neville said. "He already knows Dudley is on the warpath, plus I think he and Hermione are meeting up around now..."

Cho nodded. "Well, then, how about that ice cream, Longbottom?"

"Let's check and see if he left anything inside there first," Neville pulled her along to the studio and turned the lights on.

"Good idea," she said, looking around. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary.

"Looks all right...." Neville walked around the room while Cho grabbed some CD's from the large case in the corner.

"He's up to something, though," Cho called to Neville as he looked around the mats. "I would almost bet my life on it."

"Same here...." Neville replied grimly. "All right... I'll let Harry know about this at breakfast tomorrow morning. Ice cream now?"

"Yes, please," she said, taking his hand. "Do you think they still have that caramel sauce? Oh and walnuts, too."

"With strawberry ice cream?" Neville asked.

"It's yummy," she said defensively.

"Right," Neville replied doubtfully.

She hit him playfully on the arm as he turned out the lights and led her out the door. "I don't think you should say anything about what I eat, considering some of the disgusting stuff I've seen you eat."

"I don't eat anything disgusting!" Neville exclaimed, reaching for her hand again.

"Okay, on what planet would anyone ever eat marmalade and cheese sandwiches?" she asked. "I nearly lapsed back into morning sickness when I saw you eat that the other day."

Neville turned red. "All right fine... but if you ever have one then you'd understand how good they are! My Gran taught me how to make them!"

"Okay," she said, shaking her head. "I'll make a deal with you, you let me eat my strawberry ice cream and caramel sauce in peace and I'll let you eat those disgusting marmalade and cheese sandwiches that look disgusting. What do you say?"

"Deal," Neville grinned at her before pulling her along to the kitchens.