Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gryffindor Sword by SoraSummers
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gryffindor Sword

SoraSummers

A/N:

Sorry, but this chapter is very short, hopefully you'll like it anyways!

Chapter 14

"What happened?" Dumbledore said calmly, deciding to ignore the fact that Harry had done the impossible.

"We were practicing," Harry started. "Neville came up, he used the Cruciatus Curse, then the members of the DA stunned him, he took about 30 of them. But he's still alive."

Dumbledore looked very concerned for a moment, then nodded in realization.

"Of course, yes, this was exactly what Voldemort wanted, only he didn't anticipate," Harry and the others stared at each other bewildered.

"An what did V-Voldemort want?" Ron spoke up. Everyone stared at him. It was the first time he had ever said the name aloud.

"What Voldemort wanted, of course, was Neville's death."

They all gasped at this.

"So that, no doubt, Harry would come after him, but he did not expect, or maybe overlooked, that in possessing Neville, he also temporarily transferred some powers to him. And I can guarantee that 30 stunner blasts could not kill Tom Riddle."

They all sighed in relief, realizing that Neville would be fine.

"Now I must ask you Harry," Dumbledore said, and Harry turned to look at him. "How you managed to apparate inside school grounds, as it's supposed to be impossible?"

"I dunno, Harry replied, dumbfounded. "I just apparated like normal, only I was wishing really hard that it would work."

Dumbledore leaned in closer, wearing an expression of sudden realization.

"Of course, of course," he murmured. "Of course I always had my suspicions, but now, I am sure." They all gaped at him.

"What are you sure of sir?" piped up Mark.

"As you no doubt know from last year Harry, only a Phoenix or a house elf can apparate on these grounds." Harry nodded his head, but still did not understand.

"This was a precaution that Godric Gryffindor himself put on this school, making it so that only he could apparate within these walls, as well as his trustful house elf worker's and his faithful phoenix Fawkes here." Dumbledore said this stroking Fawkes head, the others looked at each other. Fawkes had been Godric Gryffindor's phoenix?

"Neither can live while the other survives."

Dumbledore recited from the prophecy. "Of course Slytherin and Gryffindor loathed each other while they were alive, and now in death, they loathe each other still."

Harry's mouth dropped. Dumbledore couldn't be saying what he though could he? He glanced at Hermione and could tell that she was thinking the same thing.

"Of course there can only be one or the other in this world," Dumbledore continued. "The last remaining descendent of Salazar Slytherin is among us now as Tom Riddle."

He looked directly at Harry.

"And the last remaining descendent of Godric Gryffindor is here with us now as Harry Potter."

Everyone in the room gasped. Harry tried to say Dumbledore was wrong but deep down he knew it was true. Only Slytherin or Gryffindor, good or evil, could live in this world. There was no in-between. Harry knew that if he won the final battle with Voldemort, Godric Gryffindor and his pure heart would live on, and Salazar Slytherin would be gone forever.

If he did not win the final battle, he did not want to think about what the world became under the dominance of Salazar Slytherin. Harry looked up.

"I know what I have to do."

He looked around at everybody.

"I have to fight him. And I have to win."