Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gryffindor Sword by SoraSummers
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gryffindor Sword

SoraSummers

Chapter 5

Harry wasn't sure what to make of the news that they would be reading Sirius' will. He had been having so much fun at Grimmauld Place. He and Ron laughing about their pathetic divination and History of Magic grades, Harry teasing Hermione every day for having beaten her on the DADA O.W.L. (Hermione had gotten 12 O.W.L.'s of course, and Ron got the same as Harry, they all decided to take the same classes except that Hermione took Arithmacy rather than Herbology) playing chess, pulling pranks with Fred and George's newest inventions, and most of all, spending a lot of time with Hermione.

So when Mrs. Weasley told them all that Dumbledore would be coming by that night to read Sirius' will, it came as a major shock.

That night, when Dumbledore arrived, they all made their way to the kitchen, Harry and Hermione went in holding hands and Mrs. Weasley had to scold the twins almost at once on account of them exploding with giggles.

Dumbledore just looked at the two of them and smiled. Harry and Hermione grinned at each other and then smiled back, they knew that somehow Dumbledore had probably learned all about them, but they didn't ask.

While scanning the table he saw all the old faces of the order, Tonks, Lupin, Moody, etc. He grinned when he saw Percy at the end of the table.

"Hey there Percy." Harry said simply.

Percy frowned, not believing that Harry could be so nice to him after what he had said last year in his letter. "Harry look, I don't think you underst..." he started, but Harry interrupted.

"It's alright Percy, I figured it out a long time ago. You've been working for the Order all along haven't you?"

Percy beamed at him. "I always thought you were bright Harry," but then he frowned again and said," But how did you figure it out?"

"I gave it a little thought over the summer," replied Harry, shrugging. "I realized that your letter was actually more of a warning than a shot at me. I can see why too, Fudge was probably checking your letters so you had to make it sound like you were against me, when you were really the Order's spy on Fudge."

Ron gaped at Percy. "Is that true," he said unbelievably. Percy nodded. Ron fell back in his chair mumbling something like he knew it the whole time.

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand and beamed at him proudly. Fred and George rolled their eyes in disgust.

"Honestly Harry, we thought you were a true rebel when you didn't get the badge but now..." he trailed off at the glares he got from Hermione and Mrs. Weasley. Harry caught Ron's eye and they smirked at each other, not wanting to upset Hermione.

"Hem, hem." Ginny said in such an Umbridge like way that everyone jumped for a second and then laughed when they realized what was going on. Ginny's tone got more serious.

"I think it's better if we just got this over with." The smiles faded from everyone's faces and they all turned to Dumbledore. He pulled a small piece of parchment out of his robes and opened it laying it on the table. Sirius' voice carried throughout the room.

"I Sirius Black leave this as my only will, and solemnly swear that I am under no magical or alcoholic," a few people smiled at this. "influence. I hereby leave #12 Grimmauld place to the Order of the Phoenix, to be handed over to Harry Potter after the fall of Voldemort."

The voice paused for a moment, as if to let that statement sink in. "To Severus Snape I leave my house elf Kreacher," Harry could barely restrain a snort. He caught Rons eye and they burst into silent giggles. Hermione rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath.

"To Miss Hermione Granger I leave all of my books, to use as she see fit." Hermione squirmed excitedly, but blushed when everyone turned to her. Harry grinned and turned his attention back to the will.

"To Rubeus Hagrid I leave my faithful pet Buckbeak. To Mr. Ronald Weasley I leave my Nimbus 2002." Ron gasped at this and looked at Harry. Harry just shrugged and turned back to the will. He had not realized that Sirius had bought the newest line of the Nimbus series either.

"To Dobby the house elf I leave every single pair of socks I have ever owned." Dobby, whom Harry had not ever seen at Grimmauld place until just now, shone with delight.

"To the Weasley family I leave one third of what is left in my Gringott's vault." Mrs. Weasley gasped, and Harry didn't understand why as the Weasley twins were now making more in a month than the Weasley's had been making in the previous year.

"I leave one more third of my money to the last true marauder, Moony." Harry grinned, he knew that Sirius would want his last words to Remus to be "Moony"

"And lastly to Harry Potter," Hermione squeezed Harry's hand tightly as she felt him tense up. "I leave the last third of my gold to you. As well as the before mentioned house. I also leave to you a book of unforgivable curses, so that you may be ready for them when they come your way."

The whole table stared at Harry now, as he felt his eyes watering. He wondered how many of these people knew about the prophecy. His answer came almost immediately.

"And my last dying wish to you Harry, is that you fulfill the destiny that the prophecy has given you. I will always love you all. Good-bye."

There were evidently not many people whom knew of the prophecy. Hermione squeezed his hand harder than ever under the table. Around the room, it seemed that only her, Ron, Lupin, and Dumbledore knew what that meant.

Harry stood up to explain.

"Harry no," Hermione whimpered to him. "Don't tell them if you don't want to."

He looked at her. She had tears streaming down her face. "It's okay," he said turning to the crowd of curious order members. "I'm ready."

So he told them the complete story, and when he finished, the responses were pretty much as expected. Mrs. Weasley broke into sobs and gave Harry a bone crunching hug. Then Tonks came up and did the same. Dobby had tears running down his face, Lupin was sobbing, silently, even though he had even heard it before. Ginny broke into hysterical sobs and ran out the door. The three oldest Weasley's and their father were stunned, unable to utter a word. Moody grimaced, probably disappointed that he couldn't kill Voldemort himself. If Ron had the emotional range of a teaspoon he didn't show it, as he had his face buried in his arms crying. Dumbledore had a single tear rolling down his bearded face. Snape, whom Harry had hated ever since he met him, was no longer glaring or sneering at Harry, but giving him a look of utmost sympathy. Hermione was sobbing into Harry's chest. Harry turned to the twins. He could of sworn he saw them wiping tears from there own eyes, but left in a haste, presumably to join Ginny.

Harry was sure that by the next day the prophecy would be told to every member of the order, but he didn't care. Harry knew his fate, and he had excepted it. He caught Ron's eye, whom nodded, and he and Harry got up, Harry, having to practically pull a wailing Hermione upstairs to he and Ron's room.

They all looked at each other, unable to speak. Finally Harry allowed the tears to come and the three of them hugged each other for what seemed like hours before a puffy eyed Mrs. Weasley came in to say it was time for bed, and that Dumbledore said that Hermione was not to sleep in the room with them, even on such an emotional night. Hermione reluctantly pulled away after giving Harry a kiss goodnight.

Harry and Ron stared at each other after she had left, knowing that neither could go to sleep. Harry gave Ron a weak smile. "Fancy a game of chess?" Ron grinned. "You're on."