Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gryffindor Sword by SoraSummers
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gryffindor Sword

SoraSummers

Chapter 8

It was a day of mixed emotions on September the first, as Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny all packed their things for school, and left for platform 9 3/4, the first time they'd ever done so without the twins.

"Who do you reckon will take over as head troublemakers now?" Harry asked Ron as they walked through the seemingly solid brick wall that was platform 9 3/4.

"I dunno," Ron replied. "Seamus maybe, or Dean and Ginny." Ron said the latter through clenched teeth and Harry laughed. Ron had never liked guys who dated his sister, and now that she was going with someone whom Ron had liked previous to his seeing Ginny, it was especially hard on Ron.

Harry and Ginny saw a grumbling Ron and stern Hermione off once they got on the train, they had to go to the prefect meeting. Harry and Ginny soon found a compartment with Neville, Dean, Seamus, and Luna Lovegood.

"Hey guys" Harry said seeing the familiar faces. "Have a good summer?"

They all broke into a detailed expression of their summer's, Dean and Seamus were very interested in how Harry and Hermione had hooked up, but Harry wasn't ready to tell them about the prophecy yet, so he just told them that they were together and that was it.

Neville told Harry that he'd gotten a new broomstick over the summer and was thinking of trying out for beater this year. Harry wished him luck, but Harry highly doubted that Neville could make the team-he had seen Neville fly before, it wasn't pretty. Luna didn't seem interested in anyone's summer's, she just continued to read The Quibbler upside down and hummed Weasley is our King under her breath.

It was about an hour later when Ron and Hermione were back. Hermione smiled and sat next to Harry, taking his hand, Ron sat opposite them, next to Neville. Ron groaned. "I'm hungry."

Everyone burst into laughter, Ron always complained about being hungry on the trip to Hogwarts.

"Hello Ronald." Luna said dreamily, then turned back to The Quibbler. Harry and Ron grinned at each other, Luna always said hello to Ron but no one else, they didn't know why.

About half an hour and three games of exploding snap later their cabin door opened and Cho Chang stepped in.

"Uhm, hi Harry." she said nervously.

"Uh, hi." he replied. Then, catching Harry and Hermione's hands intertwined, she turned and left without another word. They looked at each other and shrugged, not everyone would be happy that they were together.

Many hours later, they finally arrived at Hogwarts, and heard a familiar voice. "Firs' years, firs' years over 'ere." Harry smiled and waved to Hagrid, then pointed to Mark.

"Take care of that one Hagrid," he said loudly so that everyone could hear. "He's my cousin!" Mark's popularity points shot up about a hundred points after that, all the first years were eager to know if he was really Harry Potter's cousin and all.

"Well, second cousin really," Harry could here Mark say in a gaggle of about 20 first years. Harry walked up to the thestral carriages, and Harry curiously turned around.

"Hey, can anyone see them now?" They all shook their heads.

No, Harry thought. I suppose not. Me and Neville were the only one's who actually saw Sirius die, and Neville could already see the thestrals. Wait. He thought again quickly. I never told Neville about the prophecy! I'll have to tell him the first chance I get then.

Harry, Ron and Hermione were chatting excitedly to the other Gryffindor's, Harry wasted no time telling the table that one of the first years, Mark Evans, was his second cousin. Then the huge oak doors to the great hall flew open, and the first years all nervously walked in. Harry saw Mark and waved at him, grinning.

Mark saw him and waved back, a lot of the first years looking at him in awe. Finally they reached the stool where the sorting hat was, and it broke out into song.

This new year will be tough,
For all houses Gryffindor to Hufflepuff,
For the Dark Lord has returned,
And is seeking the power he has so long yearned.
Maybe you will be in Gryffindor,
If you are brave and strong of heart,
Or maybe in Ravenclaw,
If you are intelligent and very smart,
Or perhaps in Hufflepuff,
Where you will meet the nice and kind,
Or maybe in Slytherin,
To whom power is in their mind.
This year more than ever all houses need to unite as one,
And with that, this year's song is done.

The Great Hall erupted in applause, and the first years were brought to be sorted.

Adelman, Christopher!
HUFFLEPUFF!

Bradley, John!
SLYTHERIN!

Evans, Mark!

The whole Gryffindor table became silent, wishing for Harry that Mark would be in Gryffindor.

GRYFFINDOR!

The table erupted in applause, and Mark came and took a set by Harry, while the other first years looked on enviously, for Mark had gotten by far the loudest cheer.

When Zurich, David, finally went to Ravenclaw, Ron excitedly picked up his fork and knife and stared expectantly at his plate.

"Not yet, Mr. Weasley," came Dumbledore's voice from the head table. "I still have some announcements to make." Most of the older students broke out in laughter, and Ron grinned, going a little pink behind the ears.

"I must tell you all that the forbidden forest is strictly out of bounds to all students." His eyes twinkled at Harry, and Harry grinned. He could not remember a year where he had not ventured into the forest.

"Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that magic is forbidden in the corridors between classes, and that the list of forbidden items may be seen on his office door or," his eyes twinkled. "In Fred and George Weasley's shop in Diagon Alley."

The Great Hall roared in laughter again, and Dumbledore rose his hand for silence and his tone became a more serious one. "I must impress on you all that these are tough times ahead, and I must recommend caution to all." His eyes scanned the now silent Great Hall.

"With that said, tuck in!" And with that the food appeared on their plates in front of them, and they started to eat. No one bothered talk to Ron, who's mouth was constantly full, Hermione was in conversation with Neville, Dean, and Seamus about the DA, and Harry, after grinning and waving to Professor Lupin at the head table, started to talk to Mark about all things Hogwarts.

When it was time to go, Harry grinned at Ron and Hermione, who had to show the first years the way to the dorms, but Harry pulled Mark aside and told him to come with him. Ron and Hermione had already told him the password, so they took many shortcuts and Harry muttered, "Draconis Septus," to the fat lady and he and Mark were the first to enter the deserted Gryffindor common room, and waited for the rest of them.

When Ron and Hermione came in with all the first years, Ron grinned at Harry and Mark, but Hermione looked like she would explode.

"Harry!" she yelled at him. "The first years are supposed to all come up together, it's tradition!" she was obviously very angry now, and Ron wasn't grinning anymore.

Mark got up and joined a few of his fellow first years, while Ron watched Harry and Hermione bemusedly. It went on for a good ten minutes before Hermione realized that Harry didn't really care, and when he pointed out that he wasn't new to breaking the rules she huffed at him and said he was going to bed, then stormed up to the girls dormitories.

A while later, Ron, Neville, Dean, Seamus, and Harry went up to bed together. Harry grinned as he closed his eyes. Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad year after all.