Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry

lillyfan16

Chapter 10: Draco's Insight and Twisted Ankles

Right, believe it or not, I am NOT dead…hehe. I am SO sorry for the long update, and I don't have an excuse right now for it, so… yeah. This is kinda short, but I wanted to leave it off right here. Plus I wanted to post it really bad because some people may actually want an update, lol! So I guess I'll just shut up now so you can read! And I want to thank EVERYONE for the reviews! They mean a lot!!!

Recap!

"What do you mean, do I dare disturb the universe?" she asked, meeting his eyes.

"It's not that I have nothing to say…I just don't know…how to say what's on my mind right now, I guess. I'm so confused and…and…aaaguuuhhh, I hate feeling like this." Harry gave a sigh, "Look, do you want to…um…go for a walk around the lake or something? So we can sort all this out and talk?"

'It's probably some bet he made with his friends.' the voice inside her head told her. 'They were just trying to mess around with me, trying to get me back for hexing those two girls in the Common Room.

"Miss Granger, do you have any explanation for your actions? Any at all?!?!"

"I-I dunno wh-what happened. I-I just s-seemed have s-s-snapped. But p-pl-please don't expel me! I'll control my temper, I-I-I swear! I-I'm so sorry! Please, please, let me stay…pl-please…"

Harry found himself wishing the same thing, 'Please let her stay! She can't leave now, not when I've finally come to my senses…please stay…please stay'

"She is a Granger, Harry, and you know how they are viewed on the Wizarding World, especially after Voldemort."

She's not like him! I don't see why it's such a big deal! All I know is that I feel like a total jerk and I want to get rid of this stupid barrier between us," Harry insisted.

"Looks like I landed myself in detention for a week. Isn't that a coincidence?"

Right, now ON with the story!!!

Hermione didn't know what to think. Why was this boy trying to annoy her so much? They had detention together last night, and no matter how he tried to get her attention, she had point-blank ignored him. But it took a lot of her self-control not to hex him until he was recognizable. It annoyed her to no end just to know he was there, like a pesky little fly that swarmed around your head on a hot, sticky day no matter how much you tried to swat it away.

But she wasn't going to let him get to her. Maybe he was just trying to get her to lose her temper again so she would get expelled. Yeah, Hermione bet Potter would just love that. She'd just have to be careful; she was already treading in danger waters for hexing those two dim-witted girls in the Common Room on Saturday

But enough of thinking about Potter and detention; Hermione had to shower and get ready for classes.

Twenty minutes later, Hermione made her way through the empty corridors and into the Great Hall. There was just a handful of early bird students sparsely scattered throughout the Great Hall, and no one even looked up at the new comer, which was normal. After sitting at her place at the end of the table, Hermione piled some eggs, sausages, and toast with jelly on her plate before pulling out a leather-bound book and lost herself within its pages.

More students began filling the Great Hall, and if Hermione had been paying attention, she would've found out that she was the topic of the conversation once again. But she was oblivious to it all and was only concentrating on her book about vampires.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry bit his lip as he surveyed the Great Hall, internally debating on yet another dilemma, which is something he seemed to be doing a lot of lately. Hermione was there, which was no surprise, isolated at her corner of the table. Should he sit with her? Would she just leave the Great Hall? What would Ron and Draco say? Would they follow him over there once they finally made their way down here? How would it look to everyone else? But also, how would it look to Hermione if he didn't sit with her when he was suppose to try and be friends with her?

Maybe he could just grab a bite of breakfast in the Kitchens so he wouldn't have to choose. That would be the easy was out, and it sounded pretty tempting right now as well. But, it's not as if he could nosh up in the Kitchens for the rest of the year to avoid confrontation with her in front of everyone. He'd have to stop being a big girl's blouse and get this over with. So, he stood there, just outside the Great Hall, weighing out the pros and cons of his choices. He would be making a statement if he sat with her. . . It definitely wouldn't go unnoticed, and he would have to face the likely harsh humiliation of her turning him away again. Finally, he just walked in the Great Hall and started walking to the Gryffindor table, hoping to see some sign of what he was suppose to do. He walked carelessly and with confidence, deciding to just stride straight up to her and sit down. But sometime before he even got passed the middle of the table his began to sweat and cast his eyes around the Great Hall, feeling as if everyone's eyes were on him, yet no one was even looking. His breathing quickened, his earlier confidence left him in a rush and he suddenly stopped in font of his normal seat and sat down in haste. He snuck a glance in her direction, and let his head fall with a thump to the table, muttering a delayed, "Ow." 'Could I be anymore of a nancy boy?!?!' Harry thought angrily. 'What's my problem?' Another voice in his head cackled nastily, 'You just don't want anyone to take the mickey out on you, Potter. You're afraid of what everyone will think. What's wrong? You can only try to be her friend in private, when no one else is watching?' Harry's eyes widened in slight shock. No, he was not that kind of shallow person! He. . . he just wanted to. . . give her some time to sort things out. Plus, it's just easier to talk to her when they were alone. 'And it's NOT because I'm ashamed of her!!!' Before he could dwell on that thought any longer, he felt someone clap their hand on his shoulder in good morning before taking a seat next to him. He glanced over to his left to see one of his best friends.

"Alright mate?" Ron asked, giving his friend an inquisitive look.

"All right?" Harry responded, trying to appear normal and not as if he was arse over elbow in thoughts about Hermione.

"Are you sure? You seem a bit off color. . . and. . . are you sweating?" Harry heard Draco ask in slight surprise from the other side of the table.

Harry shook his head and quickly wiped his brow. "No, I guess I'm just a bit zonked, I didn't sleep too well last night. Damn owls kept hooting by our window at all hours of the night," Harry said, saying the first white lie that came to his mind. His two friends gave him a lingering glance, before shrugging and tucking into their breakfast. Harry inwardly sighed in relief and then stole a glance in her direction to find her starting to get up and make her way out of the Great Hall. He thought about following her, but then caught Draco looking in his direction, an unreadable expression on his face. Harry raised his eyebrows at his friend before looking down at his untouched breakfast, trying to appear half way interested in what he was eating.

"So, how was detention last night?" Draco asked, taking a bite of his eggs. "What did Sirius make you do? I still can't believe he gave you a detention for setting off dung bombs!"

Harry tried to grin, "Well, you know, detention is detention. He's got me doing some dirty work for Snape; one of his storerooms need clearing out, so naturally the wanker has me doing it without magic."

Ron laughed, "Blimey, how did you get stuck with him?!?! Sirius loathes Snape, why would he make you serve detention for him? Has he gone off his trolley? Was he trying to spite Snape by making him endure your company or something?"

"Yeah, why would he make you undergo such harsh punishment, I mean, he's your Godfather! He's always been pretty brill about detention. Remember when I got caught with that talented girl from Hufflepuff last year after hours? And Sirius told Flitwick I could spend detention with him? And the whole time we hung out in his classroom talking about Quidditch and fit girls. Especially this one particular page three girl…wow. But any road, we just hung out, and the harshest thing that happened was when we ran out of butterbeer about an hour too soon. . . Why would he make you go to Snape, out of every professor here? That bloodthirsty bastard hates you! It just doesn't make sense. It was just a small prank. You've done loads of more idiotic things than that and got away with it. " Draco looked up at the Head table, as if there would be some sort of explanation for Sirius's odd punishment.

"Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean, you didn't get on your knees and beg Sirius to hand you over to Snape's mercy, did you?" Ron asked with a laugh, coughing up some of his toast at the very thought of Harry doing such a thing.

Harry laughed a little too loud and gave Ron an incredulous look, "Of course not, how thick do you think I am? It was probably just his idea of playing some joke or whatever. You guys know how he is, always trying to pull pranks at every chance he gets. I'm sure he was just being stupid."

Ron nodded, and Harry caught Draco's eye from across the table; he didn't look too convinced. Harry quickly looked away.

"I've heard that Granger got a detention too. Maybe she should've been the one to have to serve detention with him, because she seems to be his favorite student after all. It's a wonder that she wasn't in there with you," Draco said casually, but Harry didn't miss the edge in his voice, and he didn't like it at all. Harry glanced up at his accusing eyes, before becoming interested in his breakfast.

He forced a laugh, "Yeah, I think she got a detention. Snape would be right up her alley. I'm sure he'd like her company a lot more than mine." He could still feel Draco's hard gaze on him. He wasn't exactly lying, just being evasive and not telling everything. . . He tried to change the subject, deciding to get away from the talk about her. But it seemed as if his friends couldn't take the hint.

"Can you believe what she did? Just lashing out like that?" Ron asked through a mouth full of food. "I'm telling you, that is one messed up girl. She acts all quiet and innocent for months, then BAM! Out comes her Granger Side. I wonder if she realizes that her outburst isn't going down too well." Ron said, shaking his head, thinking about some of the rumors that had already been conjured up among the students since last Saturday.

Draco put his fork down and leaned on an elbow that was sitting on the table. He was quiet for a few moments, a calculating expression on his face. After a minute, he said, "There will definitely be loads of rumors and people will have even more of an edge when they're around her. She didn't put herself in the best predicament, and could either A, suffer consequences, or B, benefit from her actions. The Prophet would have a field day, and people may start to actually fear her now."

Harry gave him an inquisitive look, "What do you mean?" Ron, too, looked up in interest.

Draco leaned closer towards the table, as if to keep their conversation just between them. "Well, think about it, Potter, why isn't Granger welcome here? Now add the fact that she turned her wand on some students, her own housemates even; people are going to talk. They already made assumptions about her before, now her actions just confirm their suspicions. They'll fear her now. They'll fear of what she could turn into. No one wants the rein of the Dark Order to rise again, and the Grangers are the most prime witches and wizards that are going to bring it about.

"Plus, look at her. She is dangerous if you think about it. She's definitely got power and the intelligence to do wonders with it. Things have been difficult for her, so she's had time to brood everything over. She's human, so I'm sure she's secretly planned some fantasy revenge on everyone. She could follow the footsteps her ancestors left behind, so no one is going to take the chance of making that even a possibility. The students are scared, and when they're scared, they're going to try to protect themselves. Who knows what measures they'll resort to?" He finished, leaning back from the table and reached for him goblet.

Both Harry and Ron looked surprised. It was evident that neither had analyzed her presence here to this kind of depth. "How do you know all this?" Ron asked, almost in awe.

Draco looked away and muttered, "I think you're forgetting who my father is. I've heard him speak of the Dark Lord and about how the rein of terror could easily be taken over by someone else as long as they had the leadership. Hermione has the make of a new Dark Lord, and I know they are plenty out there that would follow under her rule. She's frightening to the Wizarding World, especially now."

Harry contemplated his best friend's words, before finally speaking, "It was something so small, she just hexed a few girls. . ."

Draco cut in, "Yeah, it doesn't seem that significant, but it shows that she's willing to take on people who stand in her way. What do you think was His philosophy? Kill anyone who resisted."

Harry slumped back into his seat, a thoughtful expression on his features. Draco gave him a lot to think about. A warning bell sounded somewhere nearby, signaling that it was almost time for classes. Harry absentmindedly reached to the floor to get his book bag and started exiting the Great Hall with his mates. All three were silently pondering Draco's reasoning and predictions. Harry heaved a sigh and couldn't help but think that this could make things a little more complicated.

He wasn't sure why, but he wished Draco hadn't said anything. And he didn't want to believe his friend's words, but he knew their truth. Draco was good at reading people, as well as gauging the outcome of situations like this one. Though it didn't always show through, Draco was very intelligent and could a lot of times see something that no one else could. Harry wasn't quite as deep, so he didn't read so much into a simple hex. He mentally berated himself for overlooking this, and silently vowed to not be so foolish again. He glanced at his friends again, before giving a sigh and following them to their first class.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to the fallout

Welcome to resistance

The tension is here

The tension is here

Between who you are and who you could be

Between how it is and how it should be

"Dare You To Move" SWITCHFOOT

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione turned left and started down another corridor. Once students caught sight of her, their hushed conversations hastily trailed into silence, and everyone's eyes avoided her's. Hermione quirked her eyebrows in surprise, and looked around at everyone. What was going on? Hermione cast an uneasy glance around everyone, before continuing down the deathly silent corridor. Wearily, she kept glimpsing over her shoulders, but still, no one would meet her eyes.

Suddenly, while Hermione was looking to her left, she accidentally bumped into a Sixth Year from Hufflepuff, making the few books had in her hand scatter in their near vicinity in the middle of the corridor. There was a sudden loud gasp of many students sucking in a breath. "Oh! I'm so sorry, I wasn't watch-" but Hermione was cut off by the girl.

"NO! It was all my fault, I shouldn't have been standing your way!" Hermione's eyes widened in surprise at the girl's apology, and was quite taken aback at the slight fear etched on her face. "I-I-I'm so so so sorry. Please, please don't hex me! I'll watch where I'm going from now on," the girl hastily shoved Hermione's in her arms before sprinting down the corridor, as if to get as far from Hermione as possible.

"What…?" Hermione asked in a voice that was slightly higher than usual. Everyone's gaze quickly left her, and they scrambled around, still silent, trying to make their way to class.

In a daze, Hermione made her way to the Charms classroom, still completely mystified at everyone's odd behavior. With a slight shudder, she sat down in her usual seat, and mechanically got her supplies out to begin class. 'Maybe things will go back to normal by lunch' Hermione thought logically, feeling slightly uncomfortable.

But things didn't go back to normal by lunch. Instead, she was still treated as if she was some sort of time bomb that may detonate at any given second. It made Hermione feel extremely uncomfortable, as if she was just invisible, but it did have it's perks. She didn't have to look for outstretched legs waiting to trip her so she could give everyone a good laugh, nor did she have to think up quick-witted remarks to their snide comments because none came her way. So, as she sat down in her usual spot in the Library at the end of class, while waiting for dinner, she decided this was a good thing.

Hermione browsed through the columns of books, trying to find one that would help her out with her Astronomy homework, when she saw a younger student that had been in the same row give a squeak when she noticed Hermione's presence. After a loud snap of the book being quickly shut, the girl nearly ran out of that particular row, clutching the large leather-bound book to her chest. Hermione felt a sudden guilt, not really knowing why. Why had that girl just ran away like that? Hermione hadn't even done anything. She tried to push it out of her mind so she could find this book, but the look of fear on that girl's face was etched in Hermione's mind, and it wasn't going away. Finally, after giving up and realizing it was completely futile to continue the search, Hermione gathered up her things and made her way quietly out of the Library, noticing how no one would look at her still. She tried to just shrug it off, but it was still lingering in the back of her mind.

After eating a quick dinner, Hermione made her way down to the dingy Dungeons, where she had detention with Snape, and him again. She hadn't really thought much of Potter today, due to the fact that she was still bemused about why everyone was suddenly treating her differently. She wondered vaguely if he was going to harass her again tonight. She just wished he would sod off and leave her alone. She hadn't done anything to him whatsoever, dammit. Hermione gave a huff at the very thought of him. 'Great,' she thought irritably, 'He's already made me angry, and I haven't even seen him yet! Now I'm going to be in a bad mood while cleaning that wretched room!'

She turned the last corner, wrinkling her nose at the sickening odor the grimy walls were giving off, which didn't improve her mood in the least. And to make her mood even more foul, standing right outside the large door leading into Snape's classroom was Harry Potter, complete with trademark smirk and a definite smugness about him. Hermione gave another huff, before continuing his way.

His smirk quickly changed into a smile that Hermione may have even thought was nice is she wasn't so agitated by him, and said pleasantly, "Hello, Hermione. I thought I'd wait for you so we could walk in together." Hermione ignored his comment, and just strode passed him, and into the Potions classroom. She heard him sigh, but paid no mind to it.

After quickly conferring with Snape, she and Potter made their way to the old storeroom. Potter got there first, and opened the door for Hermione, letting her go in ahead of him. She felt that familiar lightheaded feeling and churning in her stomach as the vile stench being emitted from various concoctions in the room filled her nostrils and she gave an involuntary shudder. She heard a rough cough from behind her, vaguely reminding her of Harry's presence. She glanced behind her, and watched as Harry squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, a look of utter disgust appearing on his features.

He gave a small shake, then met her gaze, and gave a small grin, "Do you realize that bastard could use a few charms and clean this dump up in mere seconds? But no, that wanker is out to make everyone's life a living Hell."

Hermione gave him a cold stare, "He isn't a bastard, and it's your foolish behavior that got you in trouble," Hermione said protectively. She has heard many rumors about the Potions teacher, and it was no doubt that he was the most hated professor at Hogwarts, but Hermione didn't think there was anything wrong with him. He may be a little unfair sometimes, but still, he was a good instructor, which earned respect from Hermione.

Harry gave her another grin, "Blimey, someone's getting defensive! You're not sleeping with him or anything, are you? That would just be nasty on so many levels, not to mention illegal."

Hermione's expression quickly twisted into disgust, "I can't believe you would even say such a thing! You are nothing but a perverted, immature prat!" Hermione said heatedly, how dare he accuse her of such a vile act?!?!

Harry quickly realized she didn't see it as a joke at all, and his face became serious, "I was only taking the mickey out on you, Hermione, don't take it seriously. You just seemed to be that wanker's favorite student, which is odd because not only are you a bit of a know-it-all," He paused when he saw Hermione's face grow red with anger. "Oh, I don't mean that in a bad way. No, not at all. I think it's good that you know so much; it's very impressive, especially since this is your first year of actual schooling. But Snape doesn't see things that way, so it kind of surprised me. Plus you're a Gryffindor, and he only favors his own house."

Hermione folded her arms across her chest and fixed him with a glare, "Well maybe it's because I show some effort and pay attention, something you aren't too familiar with I'm sure."

Harry gave a small laugh, "Not in his class anyway. But I guess it's a good thing you're one of his favorites. I bet if you flashed him a little leg, he may put a few charms in this smelly room to make it smell like flowers or something so we don't choke to death in it; he wouldn't want to lose Hermione Granger, now would he? It wouldn't hurt to ask. . . "

Anger seethed through Hermione, even though she knew he was just taking her on. She spun around and took a look around the room, before making her way to the cauldron she left off on last night.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry quickly tried to rack his brain of some sort of idea that may keep her talking longer, but came up empty. He watched her lean over the cauldron before getting to work himself.

An hour later, both could be found with sore backs from leaning over so much, but still, they plowed on with the tedious work, and finally, some sort of dent could be seen. Harry gave a satisfied smile, before glancing over at Hermione, who was concentrated on her work. He stood up to stretch, then swung his arms in front of him then behind him a few times to work the aching muscles. "So. . ." he began, not really sure how to start up a conversation, "It seems as if we're making a bit of a dent, do you think?" he asked casually, but got no response.

He dragged his cauldron over next to hers so he could talk to her, but she gave no sign of seeing him at all. He watched as she speedily ladled the potion from the cauldron with slight fascination. Her movements were quick and if he relaxed his eyes, she looked like a blur. "You're quite good at this," Harry admitted, lazily folding his arms across his chest. He earned no response. He heaved a loud sigh. "So, what was your life like before Hogwarts? Did you like the Muggle schools?"

Still nothing.

"I went to Primary school until I was eleven; Mum made me. I dunno about you, but I hated it. I hated the teachers and the kids. I. . .I never had any friends. . . Well, I had Ron, but not at school. I was always the funny-looking kid that got beat up and teased mercilessly everyday. . ." Harry whispered softly, staring blankly at her back. He didn't know why he was telling her this, but for some reason, it felt good to tell someone, even if she wasn't paying any attention to him. "So, Hermione, . . .I have an idea of what it feels like, probably not as bad as you do, but I do have an idea." He thought he watched her movements still for the briefest of seconds, before hastily getting back to work. Harry gave a small nod before continuing his own dull work.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know I've been mistaken,
but just give me a break and see the changes that I've made.
I've got some imperfections,
But how can you collect them all
And throw them in my face?

"Right Here Waiting" STAIND

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why was he telling her this? So what if he got teased with he was younger, so did she! At least he had Ron. She had no one. No one real anyway. She did have friends that weren't real. In her books. In her mind. But it was never the same as a real person. So what did he expect? For her to feel sorry for him?

Admittedly, she did feel a little sorry for him, she would for anyone who was teased and taunted when they were kids. But what was he hoping to accomplish here? She peeked over her shoulder, careful not to disturb her rhythm, and saw that his face was kind of sad, and he looked slightly tired. She noticed he was ladling wrong, and was putting more pressure on his back than necessary because of his stance. She bit her lip, and before she could stop herself, she said quietly, not looking at him, "If you point your feet the same way as you body and lean on that crate with you knee for support, you won't hurt your back as much."

Harry looked up, and it took him a second to digest what she said before he adjusted his position. He felt the added pressure disappear. He gave her a grateful smile and muttered, "Thanks." Hermione just nodded in return.

Hours ticked on, more and more work getting done. Most of the cauldrons were now empty, and Hermione had a feeling that part would be done tomorrow night. Neither had interrupted the comfortable silence. Hermione felt that something was different, but didn't want to acknowledge the change.

Harry didn't want to mess things up, so he just kept silent. And it was comfortable, in an odd sort of way.

By the time Snape came in to dismiss them, they had made a good headway into the mess, and both were satisfied with tonight's accomplishments. They walked down the corridor together, leading out of the Dungeons. Hermione kept her head down and her arms crossed tightly in front of her chest, while Harry awkwardly kept his hands scrunched in his pockets. It was well passed curfew, passed midnight even. Once they arrived to the main floor, the moonlight shone through the windows, giving a silvery glow to the corridors. The only sound that could be heard was their echoing footsteps on the stone floor, but even that seemed to be slightly muffled by some unknown force.

Hermione inconspicuously glimpsed towards Potter to find him staring blankly ahead of them. She looked back to the ground, unconsciously biting her lip. She tucked a stray hair behind her ear, then went back to almost hugging her arms to her chest. Without the constant work they had in that storeroom, the silence was making Hermione uncomfortable, which she didn't understand because she didn't want to talk to him. . .she just wanted there to be some sort of noise to distract her from this unbearable silence.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry wished she would say something, just to acknowledge the fact that he was there. He didn't want to have to be the one to start a conversation again, if you call what they had a "conversation." Draco's words kept playing over and over in his head like a broken record. ". . .No one wants the rein of the Dark Order to rise again, and the Grangers are the most prime witches and wizards that are going to bring it about. . . She is dangerous if you think about it. She's definitely got power and the intelligence to do wonders with it. . .but it shows that she's willing to take on people who stand in her way. . Hermione has the make of a new Dark Lord, and I know they are plenty out there that would follow under her rule. She's frightening to the Wizarding World, especially now."

Harry discreetly looked her up and down, sizing her up. She had a distinct air about her, maybe it was the way she walked and held herself, that shone with power. Her frame wasn't particularly petite, and she looked as if she could handle her own. Her hair was slight frazzled, and her stance was set, which gave her a determined and slightly frightening demeanor. Harry couldn't see her face because her head was down, which made her look slight scared, and her arms were hugging her body, as if for protection. Could she become a new Dark Lord? She had power, there was no doubt about that. But at the same time, she was kind in nature. She helped out younger students, and didn't get spiteful with anyone just for the fun of it. She defended herself, which showed to him that she was willing to stand up and fight for something and not let herself get bullied around. He wondered vaguely what the Dark Lord had been like when he was their age. Surely she wasn't a carbon copy of him, yet everyone was apprehensive around her…

"Oh!" Harry was broken from his reverie when he heard a sharp gasp and felt a tug on his arm. Hermione had tripped on an unleveled stone and grabbed his arm for support, but she ended up on the ground anyway.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked, quickly reaching a hand toward her for help her up. She winced slightly and cursed under her breath. She was holding onto her left ankle with unshed tears forming at corner of her eyes. She bit her lip in pain. Harry quickly squatted down to her level, and gently reached towards her hands holding her ankle. She hissed and half-hearted tried to swat his hand away. Harry pried her hands away, vaguely aware of a sharp tingle of pain somewhere on his forehead.

"Stop," she tried to protest, but Harry ignored her. He fell to his knees and stretched her leg out completely. "Really, I'm fine," she tried to say, though Harry could hear the pain in her voice. He made quick work of unlacing her trainer and slowly eased it off. She tried to fight him off, but he continued his work. He pressed a hand to her stocking-clad ankle, applying a little pressure until he heard her hiss in pain and mutter a soft, "Merlin, that hurts!" He couldn't see much in the dark corridor because the moonlight didn't provide enough light, but could feel that her ankle was swollen.

"I think you may have twisted it or something," Harry said. He was familiar with these types of injures because of his vigorous basketball playing in the summer, so he knew how she was feeling. He reached into his pocket for his wand, but then remembered he had left it in his dormitory because he wouldn't be needing it. "Um. . .do you have your wand?" She shook her head in response, wincing from pain. They both sat there for a second, before she made a move to get to her feet.

"Whoa, what are you doing?" Harry asked, pushing he back to the ground.

"I'm trying to get up," she responded, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Harry shook his head, "You've just twisted your ankle, you don't need to be walking."

Hermione glared at him, "What do you expect me to do? Just bloody sit here all night? It's late and I need to get to bed."

"Hermione, you're only going to make it worse, trust me."

She gave him a push and tried to get up again, hissing from the sharp pains shooting from her ankle. Harry didn't know what to do. "I can run back to my dormitory and get my wand real quick." He said wistfully, though he didn't like the idea of leaving her here alone.

"I'm fine! I can get there on my own. Now please let me up!"

Harry sat back on his knees, letting go of her, and watched doubtfully as she carefully put her trainer back on. She reached behind her for the wall, hoping for some support, but was disappointed when she only felt air.

Harry quickly stood, and then offered her an outstretched hand, "Here, you are going to need some help." Hermione eyed his hand wearily, but came to the conclusion that this was the only way she was going to get up. She grasped his hand tightly, her eyes cast downward, missing the look of pain that crossed Harry's face. He pulled her up, and she wobbled slightly as she tried to gain her balance back.

"Don't let go of me or you'll fall," Harry warned, as he pulled Hermione's hand so it hooked onto his arm. "Right, now try to walk with you right foot, and limp on your left one. And don't be afraid to lean all your weight on me; I won't fall."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I hope you're not intending
To be so condescending, it's as much as I can take.
And you're so independent, you just refuse to bend
So I keep bending 'till I break

"Right Here Waiting" STAIND

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They slowly made their way to Gryffindor Tower, which happened to be on the seventh floor. The progress was sluggish and silent, save a few words of encouragement or instructions on how to step. By the time they made their way to the Portrait of the Fat Lady, Hermione was almost in tears, while Harry's head was pulsing with unknown pain. Somewhere on his forehead, he felt a constant stinging, but he tried to make it subside as he helped Hermione.

"What are you two doing out at this hour?" The Fat Lady demanded, annoyed at being roused from her sleep. Her hair curlers started coming loose as she scolded them.

"Detention, now please let us in so I can mend her ankle; she's twisted it!" Harry replied tightly, slightly irritated now. The Portrait swung open and Harry helped Hermione hobble through it and onto the plush couch in front of the dying flames in the fireplace. "I'll be right back, okay? I'm just going to go get my wand so I can heal you," and with that, he ran up to his dormitory as quietly as possible and grabbed his wand before returning back to the Common Room where Hermione waited for him.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Hermione asked, with slight apprehensiveness in her quivering voice.

Harry gave her a small grin, "Nope, I'm going to say a few hocus pocus words and hope for the best! Of course I know what I'm doing; I've had this sort of injury many times. Now stay still and this won't hurt a bit, just a small tingling feeling." Hermione gave him a nod, signaling for him to go on. Harry slide to his knees in front of her and held her left ankle in his hand. He brought the tip of his wand just an inch or two above her ankle, then said in a clear voice, "Talus Healente." Her ankle was engulfed in a dull emerald light for a second before it disappeared. Hermione gingerly tried to move her foot, then grinned when she felt no pain.

Harry leaned back on his knees, and gave her a grin, which she shyly returned. Harry then got up, and offered her a hand, which she took after a second of hesitation. He pulled her up and walked her towards the girls' dormitories. Hermione played with the hem of her shirt, before looking up at him.

"So, I guess this is good night. I'll, um, see you tomorrow." Harry said awkwardly, shifting from his left to his right foot.

Hermione nodded, and started towards the door to the staircase. Harry turned around and started towards his own dormitory.

"Oh, and Potter," a soft voice sounded behind him.

Harry stopped and turned around to face Hermione. "Yeah?"

"Um…thanks." Hermione said with a small smile.

Harry returned it and said softly, "No problem."

Once Harry was back in his dormitory laying on his back on his bed with his hands folded behind his head, he carefully recounted all the events of the evening. He had somehow made a step forward with Hermione tonight. He told her about getting teased himself. And had stayed by her side when she had hurt her ankle, despite how time-consuming it had been. And his head had ached. He realized that all the pain that he had felt earlier was completely gone now. He reached a hand to his forehead, as if trying to find the source of the pain somehow. It wasn't a headache, he knew that. It was as if it would just start stinging, then stop, then start again. He ran his palm along his forehead, but felt nothing but a thin line that was a scar he had gotten from a crash when he was a baby. He shrugged it off, and decided to just be content that it was gone now. He rolled over on his side, and closed his eyes, feeling a sudden fatigue.

Right, how was it? Was it worth the long wait? I know it's not much, but it's all I could come up with. So please drop me a review! And thanks for reading! Oh, and don't be shy, check out some other stories I just posted, one is "Take It From Me, NEVER Interview Mr. Potter" and the other is with my buddy, Kaci, "Loving Him, Losing Her!"

Until next time, ROCK ON PEACE OUT AND STAY RIGHTEOUS!!!

*~Archie~*