Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry

lillyfan16

Hey everyone! Here's the next chapter-I don't have much time but I wanted to post before work so I can come home to lots and lots of awesome reviews. Anyway, I've finally decided how to go about this (I have the whole future planned out it, it was the middle that I had problems with) and I THINK…the next chapter will be the last chapter of this story, if not that one, then the one after that. The second story in this trilogy is name pending Calm Before The Storm, so keep an eye out. Anyway, let me know what you think! And thanks for all the reviews from the last chapter! I will reply to them later when I get home!

Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Exactly Right

This time, this place
Misused, mistakes
Too long, too late
Who was I to make you wait

Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left
'Cause you know,
You know, you know

That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long

I keep dreaming you'll be with me
And you'll never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore

"Far Away" NICKELBACK

The cheers surrounding him were deafening, but he paid no mind. All Harry could concentrate on was the feel of Hermione's soft lips on his own demanding ones. He didn't care that the headmaster was calling for the Gryffindor team to come to the podium for him to present them with the Quidditch House Cup. He didn't care that his parents' eyes were no doubt trained on his uncaring back. He didn't even care that Ginny made a mock disgusted sound and told them to get a room. He only pulled Hermione closer and deepened the kiss. One thought was on his mind: Hermione was kissing him back just as passionately as her hands tugged lightly at the ends of his untidy hair and she gave the softest moan of approval as his lips pressed harder against hers.

Another set of rougher hands yanked at the back of his arms. "Come on, Romeo." He barely registered Draco's voice. "McGonagall is threatening to take points away for inappropriate conduct if you don't get your arse down there mate." He laughed.

Even though Harry was easily ignoring his friend, Hermione managed to hear his message loud and clear and pulled away. She rested her forehead on his own while trying to catch her breath.

"Congratulations. That was amazing." She said, referring to the game.

"Then why did you stop?" Harry asked before capturing her lips a second time. He felt her giggle against his mouth before drawing back again.

"I was talking about the game." She laughed.

Harry shrugged and pulled her lips back to his. "I wasn't." He mumbled against her lips insistently.

Hermione pushed him away, much to Harry's irritation. "Go! We can't do this later if you're in detention." She persuaded. Harry felt his stomach jolt in response.

"So there will be a later?" He asked slowly, raising his eyebrows.

"There will most definitely be a later." She promised with a smile.

Harry gave her one last quick peck before pulling her onto his broom and shooting down to the ground, chuckling at Hermione's laughter at the sudden attack. He held her upright in his strong grip, careful not to jostle her too much because she was so precariously perched on him broom, it wasn't exactly safe.

He landed flawlessly and walked over to join his team who were surrounded by fans, Hermione's hand firmly in his own. He didn't pay attention to Dumbledore's announcement of the Gryffindor team winning the House Cup or McGonagall's speech on her House's hard work. His attention was solely on Hermione, looking for any sign of regret. As if she could read his mind, she just rolled her eyes and grinned. He vaguely heard his name being called, but wasn't sure if it really happened until he felt Hermione push him in the direction of the podium. The many hands of the team and admirers continued to urge him along, as if knowing he needed corralled in the right direction. Finally, he came face to face with his Head of House. What had he missed?

"What?" He asked, dazed.

It was as if the older lady knew the reason for his bemused expression. Her look was torn between disapproval and happiness at her House's win. "And the team captain, Harry Potter." Dumbledore's voice broke through his reverie. The House Cup was suddenly thrust into his hands by McGonagall. Feeling the cold trophy in his hands, it was if someone had turned the volume back up and everything came into sharp focus. For a few seconds, he forgot what had just transpired between himself and Hermione. They had won!

Harry looked back over the faces of his team; everyone was on cloud nine. Without warning, Harry jumped up on the large podium and thrust the trophy in the air. "For Gryffindor!" He shouted over the roars of approval. The pure adrenaline coursing through him was surely enough to make someone explode. He watched as McGonagall tried to keep a disapproving face but couldn't quite manage it. Dumbledore's blue eyes twinkling below him as he elbowed a sour-faced Snape.

Harry hopped down and pushed the trophy on Draco, who passed it to Ron then Jeremy. It continued down the line, Harry right behind it. He hugged his best friends and teammates one by one, mentioning anything and everything he could remember that he saw them contribute to the game, to their season in general. Finally, he met Hermione at the end of the line, her eyes bright. He hugged her tightly, inhaling the wonderful scent of her hair. Tears threatened to spill over his eyes, partly from happiness, partly from sadness for this being his last game.

"Harry, my boy!" James suddenly clapped his hand on his son's shoulder. Harry turned in Hermione's arms to see his parents and Godfather. "Excellent game. You really led your team to victory." Harry hugged his father, then his mother who was crying, and finally, his Godfather.

"My baby's last game!" Lily cried, wiping her tears.

James hugged her close to her side, "Aw, come on Lils, let's not ruin this day for him. You must have coached your team brilliantly to pull off a game like that, son. Five hundred to eighty?!"

Harry laughed. "It was my teammates; they're a great bunch." He assured, looking over at his teammates with an expression of pride.

James nodded and began to pull his son in the opposite direction. "Come on. I talked to the scouts for Puddlemere United, the Appleby Arrows, the Tutshill Tornados, the Cannons, and even the Holyhead Harpies. Still much to do."

Harry chuckled. "The Harpies, Dad? That's an all-female team...you know I'm a bloke, right?"

James gave a shrug. "I know. It can't hurt though, can it? Now let's go see if we can find the captains for the Falcons. I heard they were here somewhere. I don't think we should limit it to all British teams, but that is who is here now."

"Also, the Montrose Magpies. I saw Johnson earlier." Sirius interjected, grabbing Harry's other arm as they lead him away.

Harry looked back in the direction of Hermione, who smiled encouragingly. She gave a supportive head nod and turned around to disappear in the crowd.

Hermione didn't get too far before a pair of eager hands grabbed her and pulled her into a hug. "Oh Merlin, that was so hot!" Ginny gushed in Hermione's ear, causing the brunette to redden. "What does this mean?!"

Hermione disentangled herself from the redhead and tried to give a nonchalant shrug. "I'm not quite sure. His parents need him now so…we'll talk about it later."

Ginny nodded approvingly. "Let's go congratulate my brother then go back to the Common Room for the party."

Hermione nodded, and tried to stand on the tips of her toes to get a better view of the crowd.

Finding the two Gryffindors was easy, but getting to them was no simple task. Surrounded by adoring fans, Ginny and Hermione had to push themselves through the packed crowd.

"Draco!" Hermione called, trying to get the blonde's attention. "Draco!" She finally managed to tug on the back of his robes, which caused him to whip around. His trademark smirk melted into the rare genuine smile when his eyes met hers and she let him pull her in for a hug. "That was brilliant. Congratulations!" Hermione half-gushed.

Draco laughed at her excitement and hugged her again. "Thanks. And what about you! Snogging right there in front of everyone…I'm impressed." His smirk was back, which caused Hermione to blush ten times more than Ginny's comment.

"Oh whatever." She tried to hide her face in her hands, but Draco was having none of it. He grabbed her hand firmly with one of his own and gestured with the other, "Hermione, this is my mother and father." He spun her around effortlessly to meet a very attractive, very tall, very blonde couple. Hermione gasped. It was obvious Draco was a spitting image of the two of them. They were both pale with his white blonde hair hanging stick straight and long, contrasting with his own shorter messy-with-every-hair-perfectly-in-place head. His father had pale gray eyes while his mother had icy blue ones. She was very slender with an uncomfortable expression on her face, one of snobby nonchalance. His father had a look of bored superiority. Their arrogant demeanor was not what caused Hermione to gasp, however. She recognized Draco's father, knew his name without Draco even saying it. Lucius. Another figment of her imagination from her old night terrors that wasn't a figment after all.

"H-hello." Hermione recovered herself quickly as she glanced between the two Malfoys.

"You must be Miss Granger." Lucius's voice was suave, reminding her very much of Draco but without Draco's selective warmth he saved for certain people-her being one of them. Hermione nodded lightly, trying to piece together a smile. "Nice to meet you." He said slowly, though Hermione got the feeling he didn't quite feel that way. His cold eyes somehow managed to burn holes in hers as he stared at her.

"You too." She squeaked before turning her attention back to Draco. "Um, I'm going to go find Ron and tell him congratulations. I'll catch up with you later?" Hermione asked, ready to get away from the Malfoys' haughty scrutiny.

"Sure." Draco said, still completely at ease. He jerked his thumb toward a large, loud crowd. "Follow the noise; I'm sure you'll find him."

Hermione forced a laugh and pushed herself through the crowd to Ginny, who was waiting awkwardly with Neville. She had an apologetic look on her face. "Sorry. His parents just don't really like my family…" She explained while biting her lip uncomfortably.

She suppressed a shudder. "I don't think they really like anybody," Hermione acknowledged, still feeling cold from his father's icy, penetrating gaze.

Ginny shrugged. "Ron is enjoying himself." She noted, nodding towards the loud group Draco had pointed her toward. Ron was on the shoulders of his fellow housemates, and the cup had somehow managed to circulate back to him. He laughed with Kofacts, who was also surfing the crowd. Hermione reached into her pocket and pulled out her camera. She zoomed in on Ron and snapped a few pictures. He looked so happy. On an impulse, she whirled back around and brought the Malfoy family into her camera lens. Trying not to look too closely at the terrifying head of the family, she took a couple quick photos before they could notice. When she turned back to Ron, Ginny was looking away, suddenly interested in what Neville was saying. Hermione wasn't sure if this was genuine or if Ginny didn't want to get caught catching Hermione spying on the attractive family. "Let's see if we peasants can touch the king while he's surrounded by his loyal subjects," Hermione said before leading the beeline for her friend.

On the outside, Hermione was shoving through the crowd. Inside, Hermione was screaming. While her night terrors were all but forgotten, sporadic thoughts of them still surfaced. Being with Harry had helped them go away somehow. During their row, Hermione was so stressed out about him that she hadn't thought of much else. When they had made up, once again, she hadn't had time to be bothered by old nightmares she had gotten over long ago.

But seeing Draco's father, having him sprung on her like that…it once again brought a whole new wave of terror. Also, seeing another new familiar face…it was unsettling. Was there a line? Or was everyone from her nightmares real? Also, yes, she knew about Draco's family…but actually seeing the connection with her night terrors and one of her best friend's family…to know that Draco was a part of that family...Suddenly, Hermione scoffed with a matching smirk-who was she to judge? After all, Voldemort was her ancestor!

Ginny looked over, concerned, "Something wrong?"

Hermione quickly replaced her smirk with a smile. "No, just a funny thought." She didn't bother explaining, and Ginny didn't ask.

Hermione was determined not to let this ruin the day. It was an important day for Harry-her what? Boyfriend? She didn't know what that was now. It was also important for Ron and Draco-two of her best friends. And of course, as Harry stressed, it was an important win for her-a Gryffindor. Instead of thinking about this new, unsettling connection to a frightening time period of her time here at Hogwarts, instead of brooding more on how her close friend was part of this family, Hermione put on the perfect façade.

Finally within reach of Ron, she and Ginny stood next to Luna and all three girls beamed up at the Gryffindor Keeper. He caught their eyes and with borderline-reluctance, hopped down from the shoulders of his fellow housemates. He hugged each of them, eyes bright with excitement from all the attention. "Goodness Ron, I'm not sure your inflated head will make it through the castle doors!" Hermione joked good-naturedly at the look of superiority Ron cast around.

He hugged her again in response, his grin infectious and for a few seconds, Hermione forgot about all her troubles.

Reality came crashing down, however, once Ron's attention was diverted. Ginny leaned close and had almost shout in her ear over the noise, "Let's head back up to the Common Room-there will sure to be a party!" She gushed excitedly.

Hermione's grin faltered. "I actually need to sort some things out-how about I catch up with you later?" Still unnerved, Hermione just wanted to get away for a few minutes.

Ginny was having none of it. "No! I know what you're doing, and I'm not going to let you!"

Confused, Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"You completely adore him. You don't exactly hide it very well." Ginny laughed.

Still bemused, Hermione shook her head. How could Ginny think this? How could she know anything? She didn't adore Draco. She had found him attractive, but that didn't mean anything. She had a special place in her heart for his friendship, yes, but not like…nothing compared to…

"Harry!" Ginny said with a roll of her eyes at Hermione's baffled expression. "I know what you are trying to do. You're going to go and talk yourself out of it. You need to get out of your head for awhile." Ginny continued as they broke away from the crowd but still followed the throng of students back to the school. "So you are staying here with me until he comes back. And I'm not going to let you think!" The redhead promised. Ginny's voice was sudden sharp. "You've got it just as bad for him as he does for you! This is happening. You are not escaping; don't make me put a hex on you binding yourself to me at the hip-I will." The fiery redhead warned.

Harry. Of course. Ginny couldn't see the special bond between herself and Draco. Hermione almost laughed with relief. However, before she could, as her memory rewound just a little further back before she met the Malfoy family, to the end of the match…her laugh transformed into a dazed expression as a soft smile crossed her lips.

Ginny stared at her with an I-told-you-so look that spoke volumes, causing Hermione's cheeks to redden. She knew the girl was right. She already knew just how bad she had it for Harry. And this was what she was waiting for, right? "Don't be ridiculous. I'm not going to go hide in my dormitory."

"I know. I won't let you. You want him badly, and he's made it pretty clear he wants you…so…" Ginny trailed off with a wink. "So until they come back from their celebratory steak dinner…you are my shadow."

Ginny's serious expression caused Hermione to laugh before her words registered in her mind. "Their what?" Hermione asked, stopping mid-step.

Ginny looked slightly taken aback. "You know, the steak dinner Harry's parents always take the whole team on if they win the cup? Every year, his parents book reservations, and they go to some fancy-schmancy Muggle steakhouse in London to celebrate their win. He didn't tell you this?"

Hermione shook her head, "He's never mentioned it. But then again, we did just start talking again..." she reasoned.

Ginny shrugged, "Don't worry; he'll be back in a few hours."

Hermione looked back into the sea of people behind her, searching for a familiar face. Feeling slightly depressed, she turned back towards the castle and began walking again. Ginny, almost giddy with excitement, didn't even try to conceal her knowing grin.

The Common Room was already loud with various noises as they finally made it through the Portrait Hole. A fast track blasted from a small radio hid somewhere on a table over-laden with sweets and finger foods and drinks. Hermione managed to find a vacant chair with Ginny plopping down on the poufy armrest, Neville in toe. Hermione Summoned a Butterbeer from the table and surveyed the crowd surrounding her. Some of the more fervent Quidditch enthusiasts mimicked to each other their favorite moves from the game or season in general. Clusters of girls giggled loudly with each other, talking about their favorite Quidditch hunk-and not just those on the Gryffindor team.

As her observed, she was reminded of her very first Quidditch celebration all those months ago that led to her near expulsion. Her company was infinitely better. She was glad to see that Neville was still talking to her. As her eyes roamed the crowd, she sought out the faces of Parvati and Lavender. They caught her eye and instead of scowling, their eyes lit up and they rushed toward her.

"Oh my gosh, Hermione, what was that!? You and Harry?! The way he grabbed you…" Lavender trailed off dreamily.

Parvati grinned, "That was so romantic! Are you two a couple now!?"

Hermione laughed uncomfortably, not wanting to say anything before talking to Harry first to see exactly how things were between the two of them. Ginny came to the rescue and distracted them with her own gushing.

Hermione smiled her thanks and ducked away from the giggling girls to get a plate of snacks. As she filled her plate, she smiled at just how much had changed since the beginning of the year. No one looked at her with scorn. While she wasn't a favorite of anyone's-except maybe Harry's-she wasn't on anyone immediate enemies list. It was as if she had grown into a familiar wart or mole that was embarrassingly always out on display. At first hated and a reason to be self-conscious, but eventually…it's like "well, it's there, no reason to be bothered by it." Mostly ignored, she just coasted through their lives-a nobody.

She knew the reason for her new status. Everyone had shunned Harry when he had become friends with her but…he was such a likable bloke, so full of life that it was hard to write him off. He was always so happy-go-lucky and funny that people wanted to be around him, just to share a small part of his life. People wanted to bask in the confidence he radiated and benefit from his kind heart. Harry had the personality that a person just couldn't keep out, very much like how she couldn't keep him out. And as he slowly eased back into everyone's lives, somehow he towed her along with him. She was the opening act-no one goes to the show for it, but they find themselves enjoying it all the same-while Harry was the main event.

Considering from where she started, a nobody sounded like a fair exchange.

00000000

How many hours had gone by? The party had slowed to a dull roar as people grouped into small clusters, winding down. As Hermione monopolized the couch with her arm casually thrown across her eyes, she silently laughed at the welcoming the Quidditch players would no doubt come to: half-eaten food strewn about the room, the animated spirits wound down to casual good moods, the match quite over-discussed at this point…Hermione smiled. She was sure she had heard the same person tell the same story at least five times and she herself could recall it perfectly at this point. The team would come here and find a bunch of party poopers. She wondered idly if they had their own party, or if the atmosphere would suddenly become more energized with their arrival.

Hermione looked at her wristwatch. It was getting late into the evening-almost eight `o'clock. Ginny had finally left her side. Hermione flirted with the idea of making the great escape to her dormitory-not to avoid Harry, but because she honestly felt tired. As she dozed off, dreaming of comfy beds and plush pillows, Hermione felt something soft and warm slide easily into her open palm.

She didn't need to open her eyes from her sleepy state to know who it was. Now aware of her surroundings, she noticed the volume of the Common Room had increased. Hermione squeezed Harry's hand back lightly, silently telling him she knew he was there. She peeked out of the corner of her eye and sure enough, Harry had found his a place to sit on the floor at her head, his fingers lazily playing with hers. His eyes were dark emerald in the firelight.

"Hey you." He greeted huskily.

Hermione turned on the couch so she could face him. "Hey," she replied softly. Before she could stop herself, before she could even decide whether or not she wanted to stop herself, she found the words spill from her lips, "I missed you."

He grinned. "Ditto."

"You never told me you were going to play Houdini and disappear after the match." Hermione accused playfully.

Harry grimaced. "Sorry. It's been a hectic week-I never got around to mentioning my father's tradition."

Hermione pulled herself up so Harry could sit on the couch. "And what would happen if you guys lost?" She asked innocently, allowing Harry to pull her head back down and into his lap.

A thoughtful expression overtook his features. "Well, I know I certainly wouldn't be missing out on the steak dinner…I imagine we'd just celebrate being losers." He laughed. "I brought you back dessert." He said, nodding his head in the direction of a small Styrofoam box.

"Thank you." Hermione replied with a smile as her eyes focused other their interlaced hands. Harry caught her staring but said nothing and only lightly squeezed her palm.

Did they need to talk about this?

As if reading her mind, Harry's words trailed behind her own thoughts, "So…I guess we should talk?"

What was there to say that hadn't already been said?

"I don't really want to talk." Hermione spoke slowly but boldly before snaking her hand up around the nape of his neck and pulling his smiling lips towards hers.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm in like with
Not in love with you quite yet
My heart's beginning to
Slightly overrule my head

Oh no, oh no
My self control
It won't hold up for very long
Oh no, oh no
You touch my soul
I can't help falling too fast for you

Can you hold on a bit
Stop before we go
'cause I might need a moment
And I wouldn't wanna spoil it

Who knows if I am ready or not
Only time will tell
Who knows if we are ready to make this something
Who knows

Maybe this is love
But I haven't fallen in quite yet

"Who Knows" NATASHA BEDINGFIELD

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Blue eyes-usually cold as ice-wide with nothing short of fearing for his life, looked up and into a set of gleaming red coals of…something. The features kept shifting and the-smoke?-seemed to barely be holding together and threatened to dissipate at any moment.

"Jonathon Avery." The cold voice hissed appreciatively. He let out another series of hissing noises and Nagini uncoiled herself around her captive.

"W-who are you?" The boy stuttered, his eyes now following the snake that, though released him, remained too close for comfort.

Voldemort laughed. "You know who I am, Jonathon. But I shall mind my manners and introduce myself and my servant properly. I am Lord Voldemort, and this rat is Peter Pettigrew." The Dark Lord spoke softly.

"H-how? Why? But you're s-supposed to be d-d-." Still unable to string his words together properly, the young Slytherin looked back and forth between the two men that stood before him while casting uneasy glances on the snake slithering over his left foot.

"Oh do not mind her, my young friend. Nagini will only attack if I command her to. And to answer your question…I am very much alive, though I think we can both agree, regrettably, that I am not in the most…advantageous state. This is where you come in… I…require a body." Voldemort murmured coldly.

"What does this have to do with m-me?" Avery whispered, his gaze on the wand lying beside the spirit, which Voldemort was now caressing with a sudden hand that grew from somewhere in the disembodied mist that was his essence.

"My servant has made several trips to Hogwarts, and relayed his gatherings back to me. To make a new and improved body, I need blood." Voldemort replied.

"M-m-my blood?" The dark- haired boy asked as fear filled his eyes once more.

Voldemort let out a high pitched laugh. "Do not flatter yourself, my young friend. Your blood is nothing compared to what I need. But that is not a matter at the moment. No…what can you tell me about Hermione Granger?"

With obvious relief, Avery sat up straighter and leaned forward-ready to aid the Dark Lord now that he knew he wasn't going to die. His usual suave confidence took charge and his voice grew stronger as he stared at a spot just above Voldemort's head, too nervous to keep eye contact. "Anything you want to know. My father brought me up right. He was-still is-a loyal follower of yours. At first he was angry that Hermione came to Hogwarts. How dare she show her face if she wasn't going to follow in your footsteps? Your own blood!" Avery exclaimed. "But then after witnessing her attack a fellow student, I was drawn in. She hadn't been a part of the Wizarding World, so perhaps she wasn't aware of her potential. With my father whispering advice in my ear, I was able to trick Hermione and cast a spell on her that would allow me to control her dreams. I showed her the type of power she was capable of. She didn't have any friends, and I played on that…until Harry Potter got in the way. I even tried to persuade her-by impersonating his best friends when I put the spell on her for the dreams-that Potter would have nothing to do with her because suddenly, he wanted to befriend her.

"Anyway, I tried several attempts at luring her towards me-I could tell she was tempted by the bait of her dreams. I told her I would help her achieve greatness. My father did not know you were still alive, that's why he wanted me to try to help her, so she could pick up where you left off." Avery's long winded speech finally grew silent and he shifted his gaze to Voldemort's face, only briefly taking in his calculating expression before resuming his eye contact above the Dark Lord's forehead.

"And were you successful? I have a journal entry-or part of one-that certainly supports your claim that she was indeed tempted by the Dark Arts. But my servant informs me that he has not seen any contact between you and Miss Granger….explain." Voldemort's hiss held the cold undertones of a threat that did not go unnoticed by Avery.

The boy reached up and wiped the sweat from his brow as his nervousness increased. "I-I…Harry Potter would not give up, and he poisoned her mind with all these notions of them being best friends and the Wizarding World accepting her. I couldn't even talk to her anymore. I was biding my time. After the school year, with her possibly away from Potter, I was going to attempt again." Avery hastily explained.

Voldemort shook his head. "Liar. You had no plans to make any more attempts. But no matter. What you could not do, I will. You will be useful to me yet, do not fear. Unless…unless you would rather renounce me now, return to school, and pretend like this had never happened…?" Voldemort tilted his head to the side, as if he was really giving him the choice.

Avery suddenly felt cold. His father had told me too many stories about Voldemort for him to be fooled. He knew what would happen to him if he refused Voldemort. There was no way the Dark Lord was going to let him walk away from this. Besides, this is exactly what he was trying to bring about, was it not? Why settle for Hermione when you could follow the real thing? "Of course not…my lord. Please, wield me as you see fit. My only wish is to serve you."

Voldemort nodded, as if he had seen the internal battle and was unsurprised with the outcome. "Good choice. Now, we have much planning to do."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hey kid (hey kid)
Do I have your attention?
I know the way you've been living
Life's so reckless, tragedy endless
Welcome to the family

Hey
There's something missing
Only time will alter your vision
Never in question, lethal injection
Welcome to the family

Not long ago you find the answers were so crystal clear
Within a day you find yourself living in constant fear
Can you look at yourself now, can you look at yourself?
You can't win this fight

"Welcome To The Family" AVENGED SEVENFOLD

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Bright light spilling into the room caused Hermione to stir from her slumbering state. She stretched out lazily on her bed, slowly working the kinks from her body. Much like every morning lately, a permanent smile engulfed her features as she began the day. She showered and brushed her teeth, mentally humming a cheerful tune in her head. A quick glance at the clock told her that Harry would still be asleep, no doubt. That was fine by her. She liked to get to breakfast early to do a bit of studying before Harry joined her because once he had her attention, attempting to study was futile. With her N.E.W.T.S. fast approaching, Hermione needed to study every chance she could spare.

At that thought, a blush and-if possible-an even larger smile both crept onto her features. It had been three weeks since the Quidditch match that had changed the paradigm of her relationship with Harry. The unspoken transition from friends to more-than-friends had been almost too easy. It's funny to think about now, how nervous she had been that morning after the game. But Harry had greeted her in the Common Room, a grin on his face and a peck on her cheek. He had taken her book bag, despite Hermione's claims that she could handle it. Hand-in-hand, they walked down to the Great Hall.

They had been-and still were-a rather hot commodity. After pretty well declaring themselves in front of the entire school, there was no keeping anything secret. Everywhere they walked, eyes followed. The students of Hogwarts had all but had a heart attack when Hermione Granger and Harry Potter had become friends, but this-it was huge: A Potter romancing a Granger-who would have thought?!

But that hadn't fazed Hermione and Harry in the slightest. Hermione had spent too many months wasted. Draco's words kept coming back to her, and she just grinned each time because he had been completely right. She wasn't going to let anyone rule her life, and she was tired of sitting on the sidelines, waiting for Life to pick up. No, she wanted Harry Potter, and dammit, she would have him!

The physical aspect of their relationship was surprisingly easy and comfortable. They were both so new at the snogging, that Hermione found it difficult to get too embarrassed when she did something stupid. While they were only three weeks in and new to this whole relationship, they hadn't done a whole lot of snogging, but when they did…well, Hermione found it quite enjoyable. That thought made her blush even more. Ginny had tried giving her tips and instructions, but talking about it with the experienced redhead made Hermione feel very self-conscious and uncomfortable, and frankly, she did not need to know "what Neville liked." Harry had told her that Ron and Draco were giving him a few pointers as well, though he would never disclose exactly what those pointers were.

After one last look in the mirror, Hermione scooped her bag up from the floor and swung it over her shoulder before heading towards the door.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Three weeks! Three weeks until your N.E.W.T.S. I cannot stress how important this time is for you. These tests will…"

Harry allowed for McGonagall's voice to fade in the background as he absently tuned her out. He inattentively doodled faces on his notes. A sharp pain on his arm caught his attention and he looked up to meet Hermione's glare. He heaved a heavy sigh and focused on the Transfiguration professor once more, forcing his mind take in her words. It was the same speech that she had given at least once a week since the middle of his Sixth Year. He could just about recite it perfectly himself.

His attention span lasted only a few minutes before he grew bored once again. Instead of drawing, he turned his focus on Hermione. He smiled and watched her furiously scribble McGonagall's words down on a piece of paper, underlining and highlighting as she went. She had ink smudge on her chin from her first pen exploding and getting all over her fingers.

These last few weeks had been the best of his life, hands down. Despite his nose being red from being rubbed raw against the proverbial grindstone, he couldn't have been happier. He had won the Quidditch Cup, they were in the lead for the House Cup in points, he had the two best mates a bloke could ask for, and finally, he had Hermione-who turned out to be an even more amazing girlfriend than friend.

His parents had not been fond of the idea. When they had taken the team to the annual celebratory steak dinner for winning the cup, they hadn't said a word about it. Harry could tell-despite his previous chat with her during Easter break-his mother had been rather vexed that evening; Harry knew it wouldn't have taken long to discover the cause. However, he pretended not to notice and instead went about like nothing was wrong because honestly, nothing was. Everything was exactly right for once.

"Potter!" McGonagall's sharp voice rang through the otherwise silent classroom in an obvious irritated voice-much as she had done for the last seven years when calling Harry out for not paying attention. And just like he always had, Harry's head whipped up to meet her staring daggers at him.

As the scene played out like déjà vu, sadness washed over Harry as he widened his eyes and tried to look guiltless, just as he always did when she did this, "Yes, professor?" Harry asked innocently. How many times had this exact thing happened? Nostalgia struck him as effectively as being hit over the head with a hammer. It was suddenly hitting him that his time at Hogwarts really was coming to an end.

"It would do you good to pay attention and stop staring at Miss Granger." She warned him in an impatient voice.

Beside him, Hermione flushed bright scarlet and quickly bent over her notes and continued to write furiously, as if she couldn't hear the exchange taking place. Harry knew he was going to pay for this later but, taken by this sudden mad urge to savor every second of Hogwarts, he couldn't turn down a good banter with his favorite professor. "She just looks so beautiful today, professor, I couldn't help myself. You are a very lovely lady, don't get me wrong, but I stared at you all day yesterday." Harry pulled a pained expression. "Please, professor, don't be stingy with me-there is plenty of Harry to go around." He winked at the Transfiguration professor, crossing his fingers under the table that he didn't go too far.

From the corner of his eye, he saw that Hermione's blush had turned into a dark crimson. She and Professor McGonagall were wearing matching expressions: murderous glares that Harry had seen more times than he could count. However, behind those glares, Harry could also see that they were both fighting the urge to laugh at his antics. The rest of the class was stifling their own giggles. Harry could almost see the steam coming from McGonagall's ears. "Potter, see me after class."

Harry nodded as if he hadn't expected anything less. He made a clicking noise with his tongue and a finger-gun gesture with his hand and combined it with another wink. "Got it. Detention, Saturday morning-6:00 a.m. It's a date, babe."

McGonagall's nostrils flared and her hands came up to rest on her temples and rubbed in slow, soothing circles. "Out. Just…get out of my class, Potter. And yes-6:00 a.m., my office. Now please, get out! If you are not going to take your tests seriously, I am not going to let you disrupt the class for those who want to learn." Her voice was stern, and Harry knew he was dancing on the line.

With a causal flick of his wand, his books and notes gathered into his open book bag in seconds. He flashed Hermione a sly grin before walking towards the exit. "Don't worry, professor, I'll bring breakfast!" He called behind him before the door shut loudly behind him.

Harry knew winding McGonagall up-especially this close to exams-probably wasn't the best thing to do, but he couldn't help it. He didn't have many more chances to get under her skin. All of a sudden, he was freaking out. He had known all year that he would not be returning here in September. It would be time for him to start training in a field that he hadn't even decided on yet. It was passing too quickly. He had had his bouts of nostalgia on and off all year, but this was less of a bout and more of a full blown attack.

Harry checked his watch and saw that he still had an hour before Hermione would be out of class. He walked briskly to a statue of Donny the Delight that was down the corridor a bit and stashed his book bag and robes behind his tipped top hat. He then took off in a sprint down the corridor. Once he got to the Entrance Hall, he almost ran straight into the Headmaster and Professor Snape.

Instead of throwing out his arms to catch Harry's shoulders, the Potion's master simply side-stepped to allow Harry to crash to the floor. However, before Harry could fall, Dumbledore had whipped out his wand and an invisible set of hands snatched Harry up by the back of his shirt, righting him on his feet.

"Woah, Mr. Potter-is something wrong?" Professor Dumbledore asked, slightly alarmed.

Harry shook his head. "No, I was just going out to the grounds-see what I can see, take it all in, you know?" Harry explained with a grin.

The Headmaster raised an eyebrow. "Is there a class you should be in right now, dear boy?" Snape had a smug smile on his face as he nodded approvingly at Dumbledore's words.

Harry had to bite his lip to keep the smile from his face, and once again, crossed his fingers behind his back for luck. "Professor McGonagall kicked me out of class."

If the news surprised Dumbledore, he didn't show it. Instead, the man heaved a sigh, "And why this time, Mr. Potter? Or do I want to know?" He asked slowly.

"Not taking my N.E.W.T.S. seriously enough. Or maybe it was because I suggested she wanted all of my attention for herself because she's in love with me…" Harry feigned a look of torn confusion before shrugging and giving up. "You never know with her, professor."

Dumbledore's blue eyes twinkled in amusement. "And you will be waking up early Saturday morning…"

"Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in her office." Harry finished.

"Well then please, do not let me stop you: go out to the grounds and see what you see, take it all in." Dumbledore bowed and gestured for Harry to continue on his way. Snape looked perhaps even more murderous than the Transfiguration professor had this morning.

Harry nodded and bade them both adieu before briskly walking away. He got three steps before he heard his name called behind him.

"Oh, and Mr. Potter," Dumbledore spoke softly, his eyes holding Harry's gaze long enough for Harry to start feeling guilty, "You are taking your N.E.W.T.S. seriously, right?"

"Of course, professor." Harry replied politely, still feeling guilty. The Headmaster bowed his head once more and turned back towards the gargoyle that stood guard at the entrance to his office. Snape shot Harry one last look of loathing , then followed.

Harry continued outside at a jog this time and once he got out into the open air, all of his guilt dispersed. He took in a deep breath then jumped down the steps three at a time and took off at a full sprint towards the lake.

He spent the next hour re-exploring the grounds. Hagrid had a class so he steered clear from his hut. Harry walked around the Quidditch Pitch and into the locker rooms. He jogged around the lake and took a brisk stroll in the courtyard. Harry touched the edge of the Forbidden Forest, but knew he didn't have time to go in. He ran down the steps that led to the crystal boathouse. He untied a boat and hopped in before going out on the lake. The air was warm but the water was still cold, and Harry suddenly wished he had his robes. He shrugged it off and instead, pulled sleeves up and laid down in the boat with his arms behind his head. He felt a sudden jolt then the boat began to sway in a large circle, and Harry knew the giant squid must be guiding him with one of its enormous tentacles.

Harry's dream was odd. He felt taxed, yet stronger than he had been in years. He felt like he was part of something weak, but he could rectify that. This strange…encasement…would grow accustomed to his invasion. First, however, he had to do some adjusting himself. It was an awkward feeling-like not riding a bike for twenty years: the knowledge was still there, your body automatically took control over because it knew what to do, and yet, it was still…discomfited. The fit was not ideal, but it would work for now.

He tried to flex, and was rewarded with a slightly delayed reaction. A cold laugh resounded somewhere in the back of his mind, and was met with a faint, apprehensive chuckle. The boy was fading. His covert trips back and forth were taking a toll on him, no doubt. His body was not getting the much needed rest between these exhaustive efforts. However, this body was his ship, and was needed to get him where he needed to be to set the plan in motion. It would be a long journey in this condition, and he needed to make sure his ship would…sustain. He paced in front of a dirty, broken mirror and admired his reflection in the dim light. He couldn't quite make out his features in the darkness but he took in his pale skin and dark hair, and most prominent, his glowing bright crimson eyes…

SPLASH!

Harry's world was suddenly upside down. Surrounded by water, he didn't know which way was up. Jolted awake by the sudden invasion of cold water, Harry kicked his feet and propelled himself towards the light, as someone long encircled his waist and aided him in his accent-a tentacle from the giant squid.

Harry's face broke the surface of the water and he drew in a deep breath. Looking around at his boat, he saw that it had capsized some thirty feet away.

Then he heard the laughing. Standing ashore on the dock stood his three favorite Gryffindors, though by the looks on their faces, they were about to become his least favorite. Shaking his head, Harry swam over to the dock. "That was a little unnecessary." He said shortly, eyeing Draco. The blonde shook his head and he and Ron both pointed to the girl between them.

Hermione smiled. "Yes well, your little performance in Transfiguration wasn't exactly necessary either, now was it?" Despite her smile, Harry could see the danger he was treading in her eyes.

He shrugged. "Just having a bit of fun."

Hermione turned her wand on him and Harry felt heat start to dry his clothes. Within seconds, his clothes were nice and toasty. Finally, Hermione replied, "Yes, well, I'm just having a bit of fun too then." She smirked then turned towards the castle, the three boys a step behind her.

Ron was chuckling beside him, "That was brilliant. We got a little worried when we couldn't find you but then we saw a lone boat out randomly on the lake and knew it was probably you. Then Hermione had the wicked idea to capsize you and all…Not going to lie, Draco and I were so proud." He laughed.

Harry nodded. "Yes, very brilliant." Then a smile finally found its way onto his face. He had to admit, it was pretty funny. He suddenly lunged forward and wrapped his arms around his girlfriend from behind and planted a wet, sloppy kiss on her cheek. "I"ve got to say, I'm impressed that little Miss No-Nonsense had it in her-capsizing my boat and trying to feed me to the giant squid!"

"Oh honestly, you act like I never break any rules!" Hermione griped, wiping off the remains of Harry's kiss from her cheek.

In perfect unison, the three boys chorused, "You don't!"

Hermione rolled her eyes in response and continued up to the castle. "What were you doing anyway?"

As they all fell into step together and Harry took Hermione's hand in his own, he shrugged again. "I dunno. I had a bit of a panic attack earlier when I realized just how much I was going to miss this place. So I've been out here exploring a bit for old time's sake and fancied a nap."

Draco nodded, "Well I hope you enjoyed it because I don't think McGonagall is too happy with you."

Harry laughed and thought mentally that he had enjoyed himself. The weather was nice, the grounds were quiet, and the lake placid…Harry's thoughts slowly went back to his weird dream. He had felt odd to say the least. The memory was already growing distant. He was pacing somewhere, it was too dark to make out many details but the house had been old and dusty. He couldn't remember his thoughts exactly, but he could remember the feelings almost too well: he felt malicious and uncomfortable in his body. Then of course there were his eyes. No, he couldn't forget his blazing crimson eyes.

"Mate, you okay?" Ron's voice seemed far away, but it was enough to cause Harry to snap back to reality. He looked up at his taller friend, his blue eyes slightly concerned. He realized all three of them had stopped around him. Harry blinked a few times before nodding slowly.

"What's with you?" Draco's voice asked as he brought his hand up to Harry's forehead. "You feel sort of cold and clammy. Are you sick?"

His hand was replaced immediately by Hermione's as concern was etched in her deep brown eyes. "You do. I'm taking you to the Infirmary. I'm sorry! What was I thinking-it's was much too cold for me to chuck you in the lake." She concluded frantically.

Harry shook his head. "No, I'm fine. I just need some food. Let's go to lunch."

Hermione's eyes narrowed, but she didn't object. Instead, she grabbed his hand and towed him to the Great Hall.

Ron and Draco's concern had vanished as quickly as it had come. Hermione, however, kept shooting him furtive glances and watched him as he ate. Harry didn't feel all that hungry, but still he made a show of stuffing himself until he was rewarded with a satisfied nod from Hermione when she asked how he was feeling. Then he excused himself to the loo and promptly got sick.

It took him all afternoon to shake the disturbing feeling he had. He didn't know where it had come from, but for some reason he kept looking over his shoulder and every time he saw a mirror, he would inconspicuously check his reflection-or more accurately, his eyes.

It wasn't until later on that night, when the four of them were doing their homework and Hermione caught him watching her in the firelight that Harry's troubled feelings seemed to ebb away as he watched her cheeks flush.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Well, it's ok. It's so nice
It's just another day in paradise
Well, there's no place that
I'd rather be
Well, it's two hearts
And one dream
I wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the lord every night
For just another day in paradise

"Just Another Day In Paradise" PHIL VASSAR

Please review!

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->