Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry

lillyfan16

Right. Well, first off, I was a little put out after a review I had gotten, so I don't really feel like posting anything, but I am anyway. Anyway, I didn't edit this, so there may be typos. I apologize before hand. Also, 2 chapters ago, Harry was singing a song, it's called Powder by Yellowcard. I forgot to mention that in a disclaimer. Not mine. I think that's about it, and just a warning, this chapter is kinda long. And, things are not easy in this one either.

Language. That's another thing. The swearing may go up just a bit in this one, but don't be alarmed. The whole story shouldn't have too much cussing in it, just at certain parts. I think that's it. Don't forget to REVIEW!!!!

Recap! [rather long but I couldn't help myself!]

She couldn't keep the smile off her face, 'This was it.'

It was sad, really. Hogwarts was so amazing, Harry couldn't picture not coming back here next September.

"Are you ready to go to Hogwarts, Hermione?"

"I think it's best if I do this alone."

She was on her way to Hogwarts.

"Let me guess, mate, English just isn't your country?"

"These boys…they'll never grow up."

"Um…it's Hermione. And you wouldn't have seen me before because I'm new. I'm starting my Seventh Year. And you are?"

"What, you don't even know your last name?"

"What, you don't even know your last name?"

"That's Hermione."

"Hermione? Who'- wait that girl from the Ministry? The one that kissed you?!" Ron asked, his eyes wide.

With a deep, nervous breath, Hermione stepped forward.

'NO! NO! NO!' were Harry's only thoughts. 'Not a Granger. Not at Hogwarts. They were exiled. How could Hermione be a Granger?!?!' Harry's mind was reeling

'Oh God! He had talked to her! He had wished her luck! They had shared a hug and even an almost-kiss!' With a Granger.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

What was so special about this Harry Potter that Hermione didn't know?

What could she possibly be so goddamned determined about?'

A girl with dark hair reached over into her nightstand and took out a big, red marker. Making her way to the door, the girl opened it. Hermione watched as she made a big X through Hermione's name. "This isn't your dorm, it's upstairs.

Harry shrugged. "I don't think anything of her." Harry lied. "I don't know why she's here, but she sure as hell doesn't belong."

This was going to get interesting. What is the rest of the school going to have in store for this outsider?

Chapter 6: Front Page News

Harry looked around his circular dormitory. He had awoken a little earlier than usual, but Harry didn't sleep the best last night. The hangings from each of the four post beds were still closed, and loud snores filled the silence of the room. Harry licked his lips slightly, and picked up his book bag. He noiselessly made his way down the stairs and into the Common Room, which had a scattered few early birds, just lounging around, waiting for their friends so they can go to breakfast. There was a dull murmur. Most of the students were younger, all anticipating the return to classes or just beginning them.

Harry crossed the room and made his way out of the Portrait Hole, and to the Great Hall.

He was standing just outside the open doors, biting his lip. 'Was she in there?' he wondered, with slight apprehensiveness.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione made her way down the many stairs and corridors to the Great Hall. It was early in the morning, so the corridors were deserted. She was tired; she hardly slept at all last night. Hermione didn't know if it was anticipation or her nervousness that kept her up all night, but this was the second day in a row where she didn't get a good night's sleep and that wasn't good. With a large yawn, Hermione opened the door into the Entrance Hall. She made her way to the open doors that led into the Great Hall for breakfast. Not many students were there yet, and in look relatively empty in contrast to last night's attendance from the fantastic banquet.

Hermione walked to the same area of the Gryffindor table she ate at the night before. She tried not to notice the eyes that were following her to her seat. This was going to be a long day. Hermione could already tell. And from the looks of things, it wasn't going to be a pleasant day either.

She reached into her book bag and took out a Charms book. Propping Advanced Charmwork against the nearest juice jug, she began reading, while eating her eggs and toast.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With a deep breath, Harry finally walked in to breakfast, and his eyes scanned the almost-empty breakfast table, until they landed on a bushy-haired brunette, her head buried in a book. She was sitting in the same spot from last night, Harry noticed as he made his way over to the table. He sat down, a well away from Hermione, never taking his eyes off her. But she didn't seem to notice him at all because her eyes never left the pages of her book. She would turn the page every so often, but other than that, she just sat there and ate her food quietly.

Harry finally broke his gaze from her and began piling food onto his plate, trying to ignore her like she was him and everyone else in the Great Hall. He tried to focus on his food, and when people were starting to fill in to the Great Hall, it made it a lot easier. Draco and Ron sat across from him, and Professor McGonagall began handing out class schedules.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione was looking over her schedule for the fifth time when a sudden loud screeching noise filled her ears that made her jump. Hundreds of owls were swarming around the Great Hall, dropping off letters and parcels to the students. Her eyes were wide as she looked around at how many there were, and all the different breeds. She noticed a familiar looking barn owl swoop down on her. It was Clarence's. Hermione gave a small smile, before reaching for the envelope tied to its foot. She quickly disposed of the envelope and read her letter:

Hermione,

I just wanted to let you know how proud I was and wish you good luck on your first day. I'm sure it's going to be hectic and confusing. I hope you stick it out and don't let the other students get you down. Remember you are exceptionally gifted, and this will help you that much more to reach your full potential. I wish you well, and once again, the best of luck!

Love,

Clarence

Hermione gave a warm smile. This was just like Clarence, to do something special for her. Even if it was just a little note, Hermione knew she was in her thoughts. And she really appreciated that. After reading the note over again, Hermione folded it up and put it in one of the pockets in her robes. The way things were looking so far, it wasn't going to be a very good day, and she just might need to look at that note again for encouragement later on. The owls were beginning to disperse and breakfast would soon be over.

Hermione gathered up her things and exited the Great Hall, ignoring all the lingering eyes that fell on her as she made her departure. She had Charms with Professor Flitwick first, and she wanted to be there early to get a good seat.

There were people in the corridors, some talking to their friends, others just waiting around. Hermione made her way to the classroom, looking straight ahead, and once again, paying no attention to anyone. But just because she wasn't looking at them, she felt all their eyes on her. The feelings from last night resurfaced, and she began to feel uncoordinated and gawky. How she made it to Charms was a mystery to her.

The class was empty, as she expected, so she just took a seat near the front and got her book back out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry and his friends were making their way into the Charms classroom. They had that first with the Ravenclaw students. As they walked into the half-filled room, they took their place in the back, at their usual table. Harry got out his things and talked with his friends until Professor Flitwick came into the class. He was extremely short and had to stand on a large pile of books to reach his podium to teach. He sat his wand down and looked over the class.

"Good morning, class." And with that, be began the role call. When he got to Hermione Granger's name, there was a small, unnoticeable to most, pause. But after quick hesitation, he called her name and waited for her to say "present." Once the attendance was finished, he continued, "Right. So today we will be reviewing over a few of the rather simple charms from the last few years. First, we will begin with the Summoning Charm. Can anyone please demonstrate the wand movement and enunciate the incantation?" A few hands went up at Professor Flitwick's request, including Hermione Granger's.

The professor looked slightly surprised at her hand, but called on Dean Thomas instead.

"Acio, professor." and with that, he gave his wand a quick flick. Professor Flitwick nodded his head and gave a small applause.

"Very good, Mr. Thomas. Ten points to Gryffindor. I'm glad you remembered. If I'm not mistaken, I believe you had a spot of trouble with that one, but you have overcome it. Excellent. Now, moving on, I would like the rest of you to try it out. Please summon the cushions on the far side of the room to you. Carry on. And remember, swish and flick." he said, waving his arm through the air for emphasis.

Soon, cushions were flying in all directions in the Charms classroom. Some students were a little rusty; others had no problem at all. The trio didn't have too many problems, and were able to carry on a decent conversation while practicing.

The cushion Ron was trying to summon zoomed off course slightly and hit Harry in the head. "Hey! Watch what you're doing." Harry remarked, rubbing the side of his head where the cushion had hit. It didn't hurt, but it didn't feel too good either.

Harry walked passed Draco to retrieve his cushion, which had been knocked out of his hands when Ron's cushion had bumped into him. He bent down and picked it up, then made his way back to Ron and Draco. He looked around the room, seeing how everyone else was doing to gauge how much longer they would be working on this charm.

Harry gave a slight laugh when a book hit Neville, a fellow Gryffindor, in the nose. His aim was poor and he hit the book about a foot to the left of his cushion by mistake. When he was younger, Neville had been rather clumsy and awkward with magic. His lack of ability had subsided slightly, but he still wasn't nearly as skilled as Harry. But he had improved, and he was great in Herbology. Neville wasn't Harry's best mate, but still a nice friend.

Harry continued his gaze across the room, stopping at the sight of a familiar brunette. He watched as her cushion zoomed straight towards her perfectly. She smiled slightly, pleased with herself, before using a Banishing Charm to make it zoom back to the wall. 'This must not be too hard for her,' Harry mused, as he watched her do the same task over and over flawlessly.

"Hey, mate, what are you staring at?" It was Draco's voice. When Harry continued staring across the room, Draco followed his gaze. It was Granger. He hit Ron on the arm go get his attention and motioning with his head towards Hermione. Ron raised his eyebrows at Draco, inclining his head in Harry's direction. Draco just shrugged silently, before nudging Harry.

"What?" Harry asked, looking at his friends' inquisitive looks.

"What were you doing, mate? You kind of zoned out on us for a few minutes there. What were you looking at?" It was Ron's voice.

Harry just gave a shrug and shook his head, "Nothing, just seeing how many people were still having difficulties with this damn charm. It'd be nice to move on to another." Harry responded, nonchalantly, glancing at his wristwatch. "We only have about 10 more minutes 'til Potions."

He missed the look Ron and Draco shared, and began to pack his things up before returning to practice the Summoning Charm.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione was making her way down to the dungeons for Double Potions with the Slytherins. She noticed the air get a slight chill to it as she continued her route to the Professor Snape's classroom. The torches that lit the corridors flickered more often, creating a rather morbid feeling to creep into the pit of Hermione's stomach. Still, she pressed on until she found the right dungeons. The large, wooden door was firmly closed, so she sat down on the stone floor. The walls were cold and moist, and the air was slightly humid. She sat there for a good two or three minutes, reflecting on her first day so far, before being joined by a group of Slytherins.

The leader of the group was a tall boy with dark blonde hair. He had a pug looking girl on his left, and a pale boy on his right. Hermione could feel his gaze on her, but tried to ignore it and brought her knees to her chest, crossing her ankles, and then wrapping her arms possessively around her folded legs. She heard a few of them call out to her, and none of the names were too flattering. 'Just ignore it, and they'll stop,' she thought over and over, trying to block them out.

"Aw, look everyone, this little bitch it trying to play ignorant. Either that, or she's just plain deaf." It was the pale boy. He had his arms crossed and with an amused expression on his face.

'Just ignore them.'

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, I smell T-R-O-U-B-L-E...

"T-R-O-U-B-L-E" TRAVIS TRITT

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The boy in the middle stepped out, his lips twisted in what looked like a trademark smirk. "What's wrong, Granger? Are you deaf? Can you not hear us trying to get your attention.?" Still, Hermione would not meet his loathing gaze. He crouched down in front of her, but Hermione still looked away. "Tell me something, are your parents a witch and a wizard? Are they proud of their little girl trying to be all big and brave?"

Hermione finally turned her head to meet his cold, ice blue eyes. "It's none of your business." She said, trying to sound firm and confident. The boy just gave a soft snort.

"I'm just asking if your parents are magical or not." He replied, not looking deterred in the slightest.

"They're Muggles, now please just leave me alone." Hermione responded coldly. The corridor was beginning to fill up, and a dull murmuring was heard in the background. People were most likely talking about what they were witnessing right now.

"Muggles? Really, I guess that just makes you a dirty, little Mudblood, doesn't it? 'Cause that's what you are; nothing more than a filthy, Mudblood bitch that's trying to play a hero. Guess what you piece of filth, we don't like Mudbloods or Grangers, so you're just shit out of luck." His voice was low and menacing. His eyes were two, blue ice chips and he was giving her a nasty look, almost daring her to say something back to him,

Hermione just shrugged, "Well, I'm not fond of assholes or jerks, so I guess the feeling's mutual." She stood her ground. Hermione watched as he took this in. His expression didn't change, and he was about to respond when the professor made his way to the door.

"Stand up, Avery, you are holding up the class." Hermione looked up at the professor. He was wearing all black and had matching oily hair that hung in his pale face. He had a rather large nose and cold eyes. His voice was a little more than a mere whisper, but it was commanding. Avery shot her one last looked before, to Hermione's delight, stood up and joined his group of flunkies. Hermione stood as well. Professor Snape opened the door and the students followed him inside.

Hermione took the first table she saw, which was near the door in the back. She sat her things down and seated herself on the wooden stool. She let out a long, shaky breath then looked around. There were tables lined up, and she watched as the Slytherins went to one side of the room, and the Gryffindors moved to the other. Hermione reached over and began assembling her things on the table. Hermione had the whole table to herself so she could space her ingredients and other things out. She noticed people were looking at her, then at their friends, almost with a knowing glance, but she just rolled her eyes. The sooner they got used to her, the better because this was just flat out ridiculous. Hermione watched as the professor left the room and then met a pair of emerald eyes belonging to someone standing right in front of her.

It was him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry made a beeline for His Table through the crowd, only to find is already preoccupied. She was at His Table. Ever since First year, Harry, Ron, and Draco had sat there. Everyday. Ron and Draco were on either side of him, eyeing their table as well.

Ron gave a shrug and said, "We'll just have to tell her to move," his voice held a hint of anticipation and delight. The trio proceeded to the table. There was no way she was going to sit there.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wanna push you around, well I will, well I will
I wanna push you down, well I will, well I will
I wanna take you for granted, I wanna take you for granted, yeah I will, I will

"Push" MATCHBOX 20

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You're sitting at our table," the redhead beside Harry informed her coolly. Hermione just raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"Er…excuse me?" She asked incredulously, afraid she might have misheard him.

This time it was Harry. "You're sitting at our table. We always sit here. You can find somewhere else to sit." His voice was quiet, and his green pools were looking into her brown ones. Hermione looked at him in disbelief. Did he expect her to move? Seriously? Who in the Hell did he think he was?

"Oh my God, you have got to be kidding me." Hermione said with a slight scoff. They all looked at her unblinkingly. Harry's eyes showed his anger.

He had a bite of impatience in his voice this time, "No we're not kidding. Now move…Granger." He said her last name with emphasis, with a hint of accusation. His eyes still burning into hers.

Hermione's expression hardened. She looked at them, not daunted one bit. "Well, I guess that's just too bad then, because I've already got my things out and I have no inclination to move at all. So it looks like for today, you are going to have to handle sitting somewhere else; there are plenty of other empty tables. You never know, it might be a good experience for you…Potter," Hermione retorted, her tone calm but definite, using the same tone as he did when using his surname.

They held each other's gaze, each silently daring the other to look away and show weakness. Harry and Hermione's little battle didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the class. Gryffindors and Slytherins alike watched in heavy silence as the two shared a stare-off. It wasn't even about the damn table, and Hermione knew it. No, he was sizing her up. Harry was seeing if she'd back down. In the beginning it may had been about the table, but not anymore. He was trying to show her up. Maybe he wanted her to feel inferior to him? Hermione wasn't sure, and frankly she didn't care. He could get angry and try to push her around. But she had news for him: She was going to stand her ground.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well I won't back down
No I won't back down
You could stand me up at the gates of Hell
But I won't back down
No I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
And I won't back down.

Hey, baby. There ain't no easy way out.
Hey, I will stand my ground.
And I won't back down.

Well I know what's right
I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground
And I won't back down.

"Won't Back Down" TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry couldn't believe she was going to be so difficult. This was His Table dammit! He continued to stare into her chocolate pools, his own blazing in anger. She was being stubborn and he was about to make another remark when Professor Snape walked in. He never liked Harry, so finding him out of his seat after the bell was a good reason as any to cost Gryffindor points.

"Potter! Would you, Weasley, and Malfoy care to take a seat. Ten points from Gryffindor for being tardy.

Harry shot daggers at Hermione one more time before responding a stiff, "Yes, professor," and finding another table with Ron and Draco. The only vacant one left was beside Granger.

After calling role call, Professor Snape began making notes on the board for them to copy about a difficult potion to relieve extreme pain. Harry started copying the notes in his untidy scrawl, but his mind was elsewhere.

'Who in the bloody Hell did she think she was?' Oh, he would put her straight. He had been at this school first, and if she thought she was going to come here and start screwing things up, she had another thing coming. He glanced over in her direction, and saw that she was copying the notes down with zeal and paying to up most attention to Professor Snape's words. After about ten minutes of copying the notes, the directions appeared on the board and they got to work on their potion.

It was just like Snape to start them out with a complex potion on their first day. Harry hated him with a passion, and the feeling was mutual.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione dropped in the last ingredient and with a hiss, her violet potion turned a bright shade of turquoise. A pastel yellow mist was rising from the cauldron, just as it should. She turned the flame down so the potion could simmer for exactly three minutes. This potion was very precise and you had to follow the tasks thoroughly and meticulously, otherwise it would ruin the whole thing. The professor was sweeping through the dungeon, inspecting everyone's potion. Some students' potion was giving off foul odors; other students were in danger of getting burned because of their potion was making loud cackling noises while emitting sparks over their cauldron. Hermione looked around and realized no one else had their potion correct. She felt a sense of pride in that fact. Here she was, a Granger, and never had Hogwarts schooling, yet she was the only one to get the potion accurate. Professor Snape came to a halt in front of her, scrutinizing her flawless potion.

"Miss Granger," he picked up the ladle sitting beside the cauldron, and scooped some of the contents up, then poured it back into the cauldron, testing its density. He gave a small nod, and then looked at his student. "This potion is perfect…" his voice was soft, with a hint of surprise and astonishment. Hermione tilted her head up to meet his cold eyes. His lips were curved in somewhat of a smile, very unlike his usual smirk. "I must say, I'm impressed. Full marks, Miss Granger. This is a very complex potion. I've never seen anyone get it so perfect the first time. Well done, and keep up the good work. Ten points to Gryffindor." His voice was still soft in wonderment, and Hermione couldn't help but smile warmly at him.

"Thank you, sir. I'll try," Hermione voice was barely over a whisper, her eyes meeting his. He gave another nod, then proceeded to the next table, which was Potter's.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Snape's remarks about Granger's potion didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the class. For the first time anyone could remember, he actually gave points, instead of taking them away, to Gryffindor house. The Slytherins were dumbfounded, as were the Gryffindors. Harry looked over to her table. He couldn't believe it, Snape was nice to a student that wasn't in his house. Not only was it was a Gryffindor, but it was Granger!

"Potter!" Snape's voice got his attention, breaking him away from his thoughts. He looked down at his teal-colored potion, with a white mist hovering over the contents. It wasn't right at all. "You potion is much too dark, do you know what you did wrong?" His voice was malicious, and his lip curled into a sneer. It was like night and day compared to the look he gave Granger.

"No, sir," Harry answered truthfully, trying to keep the contempt out of his voice. It just made him sneer even more.

"You're potion skills show their true colors again, Potter. If you intend on passing your N.E.W.T.S., I would strongly advise you read more carefully and follow the directions." And with that , he moved on to the front of the room to address the whole class, "Put a sample of your potion in a flask with your name for marks. Bring them to my desk."

Harry just heaved a sigh as he corked his flash and brought it to the front of the room. He watched as Hermione put her seamless potion among the disastrous ones, and made her way back to her seat to begin packing up her things, using a Vanishing Spell to empty the contents of her cauldron.

'At least she balanced out the points he had lost at the beginning of class,' Harry thought, slightly peeved at her because of her perfect bloody potion and for impressing his most hated professor. Adding the way she had no trouble at all in Charms with those two spells, Harry came up an explanation, 'She's probably just a goddamn know-it-all,' Harry mused, disinterestedly, packing up his own things.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione was eating her lunch, a book propped up against a jug again, this time on dealing with superior Transfiguration. She had that after History of Magic, which she had right after lunch. Pausing in her reading to take another spoonful of her vegetable soup, she glanced over the Great Hall. By the open entrance doors, she saw a group of teenagers laughing and playfully shoving each other around. She just shook her head at their horseplay, 'They should be doing something productive.' Hermione thought as she returned to her soup and book.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry and his friends wanted in their seats for the professor to show up. This was the last class of the day, and they were groaning about the two-foot-long essay McGonagall had assigned them on human transfigurations. They weren't even going to be getting into that for a few weeks, but she wanted her class to "be prepared for such highly difficult transfigurations," That did make them feel any better about the complex essay that promised at lease three or four hours of research and writing. Combine that with the notes they had to research for Charms and Bin's foot-and-a-half essay assignment, you could say they already had a pile of homework. Hopefully Sirius won't have anything for them, otherwise they could forget about the pick-up game of Quidditch they had planned after lessons.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione was in the middle of her research for Professor McGonagall's essay. This was quite difficult, no wonder their professor strongly urged them not to put it off. She looked down at her notebook that she was writing her note in. She had three whole pages, back and front, so far, and her hand was beginning to cramp up a bit. Laying her pen down, she stretched her hand out to relieve the cramp. Sitting back in her chair, she looked around the dusty library. Bookshelves lined up against the wall then in several rows. There were round tables with wooden chairs in one area of the library, but all were vacant. A lot of the students were hanging out with their friends and playing outside. But not her. No she was all alone in the library with no one to keep her company but Madam Pince, a rather aging vulture looking woman that was extremely sensitive to how her books were handled, which Hermione couldn't blame her because she knew just how careless and sloppy people could be with things, especially with something trivial to them, such as books.

Hermione looked at her watch, dinner already started about fifteen minutes ago. She'd better hurry if she wanted to get a bite to eat before starting on this essay again. Maybe she could take a few books back to her room and research there. This library made her feel slightly uncomfortable, especially with the librarian's suspicious gaze on her every few seconds. With that, Hermione gathered her things and a few books, before making her way to Gryffindor Tower to drop her things off before dinner.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry was walking through the empty corridor. He was on his way to dinner; he had just dropped off their broomsticks off in their dorm before meeting Ron and Draco for dinner. He heard a sudden crash. Whipping his head in the direction of the noise, he saw a student on the ground, picking up the several books they had been carrying in the corridor to his left. The books were scattered around the person. Harry started towards them to help, but then stopped suddenly when the person lifted their face to reveal her. It was Hermione. She couldn't see him; her eyes looking around at the mess. She dropped one of the books while trying to pick up another. Finally getting frustrated, she stood and with a wave of her wand, all the books flew neatly in her arms. With that, she started down the corridor towards him, then stopped.

Harry was eyeing her , waiting for her to say something. She took a few more steps his way until she was about five feet away from him.

"What? Are you just going to stand there and stare at me all day? I'm not a caged animal in a zoo!" Her voice was agitated. She didn't look to happy. Harry still didn't say anything, he just folded his arms across his chest.. She must have gotten fed up with his silence because with a huff, she walked straight passed him. Harry just stood there, not really knowing what to do. He was still peeved about Potions, and he wanted to say something about it. He turned around to watch her disappear through the Portrait Hole. 'Should I wait here for her to come back?' he wondered. But what could he even say to her? 'Hey, that's my table in Potions, so go near it again and I'll hex you into next Tuesday?' No, that wouldn't work. Besides, she looked like she could throw a few hexes herself. He stood there, musing about what to do, when to Portrait Hole opened again Hermione stepped out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione couldn't believe it, He was standing there, waiting for her. 'What in the Hell did he want?' "Do you want something, or are you just trying to annoy the Hell out of me?" Hermione asked, not even trying to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

Finally, after a moment, he seemed to have something to say, "That's my table in Potions, so you can just steer clear of it." His voice was emotionless, and Hermione just rolled her eyes.

"Is that what this is about?" She asked, with a slight scoff, " Honestly, if it means that much to your maturity level of a two-year-old, you can have the damn table, alright? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some studying to do after dinner, so I'm not going to waste anymore more of my time with you." And with that, she started off down the corridor, leaving a fumed Harry behind.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey- man you talking back to me?

Take him out

You gotta keep 'em separated

Hey- man you disrespecting me?

Take him out

You gotta keep 'em separated

Hey they don't pay no mind

If you're under eighteen you won't be doing any time

Hey come out and play

"Come Out And Play (Keep 'Em Separated)" THE OFFSPRING

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

'Maturity level of a two-year-old? She doesn't know me, and she has no right to start making cracked assumptions about me either!' Harry took off after her. "It has nothing to do with the damn table! You don't belong here, so why don't you just take a hike back home?" She spun around and glared at him. Harry could tell she was angry, but so was he.

"I don't belong here? Who are you to say that?" Her voice was loud, and she was making her way back to him. The girl stopped about six feet in front of him. "What makes me so bad that I can't be here just like the rest of you?"

Harry just glared at her. His emerald eyes blazing with annoyance and anger, "You. Are. A. Granger." He said it as if it was the most obvious thing in the world through gritted teeth. She looked indifferent.

"Yeah? Well you're a Potter, but do you think I care? We are feuding about something that happened ages ago! Newsflash, Potter: I don't care how much bad blood is between us; I'm not going home! The sooner you get that though your thick skull, the better. I haven't done anything to you, so just leave me alone, and I won't bother you!" And with one last glare from those dark, chocolate eyes, she stalked off towards the Great Hall again, leaving a very dumbfounded and angry Harry Potter.

Harry just stared down the long corridor, feeling utterly wrong-footed. "Wha…?" With a sigh, Harry made his way to dinner, careful not to look her way even once. He was quiet all through diner, his mind was a bit preoccupied.

"Hey mate, what's up? You've barely touched your food and haven't said two words." Ron's voice was concerned, and Draco was also looking at his discouraged friend with a worried expression.

Harry just shrugged and muttered, "I'm a little tired after Quidditch and all. I know I should get started on that essay, but I think I'll just go to bed," and without another word he made his way back to his dormitory. "Granger may have won this battle, but she is sure as Hell gonna lose the war." Harry said defiantly to the empty room, lying on his back with his hands behind his head, looking at the canopy of his four poster bed. "No, this definitely isn't over…"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Hey, Granger, looks like you made the papers! I never knew the Prophet would sink down this low to do some article on a piece of worth filth like you!" Someone called out and threw a scroll of parchment her way.

Hermione gasped as she looked at the headlines: GRANGER HITS HOGWARTS. 'What in the Hell?' Hermione glanced around the Great Hall, and it wasn't hard to guess what they were all discussing. The Daily Prophet's headline seemed to catch a few eyes. Hermione looked back down at the paper and began to read the article:

They haven't been in the Wizarding World in ages, and we thought they no longer had any magic in their bloodline, BUT WE WERE WRONG! Hermione Granger, 17, has taken up post as a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, under the rule of Albus Dumbledore. Never having been schooled in the Magic World, many wonder if this girl will be up to the complexity of a Hogwarts Seventh Year student, as many of us are doubtful. We are still trying to discover how she had learned the beginner points of magic, but haven't uncovered anything yet. But what we do know is that her presence at Hogwarts did in fact, raise more than just a few eyebrows. After talking with several concerned parents, I have found out the majority are against Hermione Granger attending Hogwarts. Many think of her being nothing short of a nuisance and are concerned about her presence may distract their children from learning.

Hermione stopped there. She didn't want to read anymore, instead she tossed the paper aside carelessly and began eating her food again. Who cares about the Daily Prophet anyway? She didn't, that's for sure. Let some hideous newspaper reporter make a buck by selling a few articles about her. The only difference it made was now, the whole Wizarding World knew she was here. 'I guess it almost helps me really,' Hermione thought dully, 'Now they know Grangers aren't quitters and I'm not going to go home, no matter how much I am ridiculed.' Hermione heard her name being called and looked over to the source of the noise.

"So, Granger, what do you think now that you have been made into a," the boy looked down to consult the article, before continuing, "ah, yea, 'a nuisance'?" He used his fingers in quotation mark gestures while saying the clip from the Prophet for dramatic effect. Hermione just gave them a smirk and replied with a cool, "I don't think much of that trash anyway, so the junk they decide to write about isn't going to affect me, so it's nothing," and with that, she made her way out of the Great Hall, a tight-lipped smile in place.

It was Tuesday, so first she had Double Herbology with the Hufflepuffs. 'Hopefully, today would go smoother than yesterday,' she mused as she made her way outside. 'I still can't believe that Potter kid,' she continued thinking, giving a slight scoff, 'Did he honestly think she was going to leave? Did he really think he was intimidat-' CRASH! Suddenly, she fell headfirst to the ground, still slick with last night's rain. To be exact, she fell straight into a muddy puddle. Hermione pushed herself to her knees and tried to wipe the mud and water from her face. She could hear laughter ringing in her ears, and looking around, a few groups were pointing and snickering at her. Hermione got to her feet slowly.

"Have a nice trip? Sorry about that, you really should've seen my leg there. I guess you may need some glasses, bitch." The boy's taunting rang in her ears. Then she realized she had in fact, been tripped. She looked down at her now muddy and wet robes.

"Immature prat!" She muttered under her breath as she continued to the green houses, pulling her robes closer to her body and trying to ignore everyone's teasing and scorns. She looked liked a mess, but she just kept walking, deciding she would use a few spells to fix her robes and uniform until lunch, when she could go change. Today wasn't looking so good either…

00

That's the next few weeks went. Hermione had gotten upset and very discouraged in the beginning, but now she expected about everything they could throw at her. She just took it and kept on going. She studied. She wasn't here to make friends. No, she was here to further her magical education, that's all. And she could do that alone. So ignoring their daily jeers and taunting had become a regular task for her. No matter what they said, no matter what they did to her, they couldn't take away her spirit. No, Hermione would just get right back up and keep going. They couldn't keep her down.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I get knocked down

But I get up again

You're never gonna keep me down

I get knocked down

But I get up again

You're never gonna keep me down

"Tub-thumping" CHUMBAWAMBA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But there were a few people that weren't totally against her. A Ravenclaw, Luna Lovegood, was pleasant with her, though they didn't talk much. A fellow Gryffindor, Neville Longbottom, wasn't cross with her either, he even asked Hermione for some help on homework once. And a Slytherin, Blaise Zabini had helped her pick up her things when she had "tripped" again, this time in a corridor. Also, she had a posse of First Years from Flying lessons that didn't mind her being a Granger. But the list stopped there. None of them were her friends, but they came about as close as she was going to get as friends.

There were others that didn't really do much, which she was grateful. But there were those that had to make her day a living Hell every time they saw her. The top of this list was Cho Chang, a popular Seventh Year Ravenclaw Seeker. Hermione couldn't stand her at all. It was bizarre how fake she could be. One minute, she was cruel and hateful to people like Hermione, and the next she could be so flirtatious and nice to others in "her crowd." It made Hermione nauseous how she threw herself at guys sometimes. Another was Cho's best friend, Marietta Edgecombe. They both never missed an opportunity to humiliate or torment Hermione. Pretty much all the Slytherins hated and badgered her, most of all being John Avery, the same boy that had called her a Mudblood outside the Potions classroom.

A Seventh Year Hufflepuff, Ernie Macmillan, who was intelligent but extremely arrogant, always tried to make Hermione feel inferior to him. He couldn't beat her marks though, which Hermione pointed out a few times to make him shut up. She was top of the class, and many hated her for that as well. There were other Hufflepuffs that didn't hide the fact they didn't like her either, such as Hannah Abbott, Susan Bones, and a few others.

The Gryffindors were just as bad as the other houses. Hermione still had her own dorm that still wasn't very comfortable. Ginny Weasley told her what an "ugly bushy-haired bookworm" she was, which happened to be another one of her not-so-flattering names. But Hermione liked to keep to herself so she wouldn't have to put up with such insults.

Also, there was Harry Potter. Hermione sighed as she thought about him. He was known as a nice, funny guy that didn't insult people or anything unless he was provoked. He was also known for a temper, and his dueling abilities. Hermione had seen him in Defense Against the Dark Arts, and he did know what he was doing. A lot of people looked up to him and Hermione couldn't blame him. Harry was a nice guy…just not to her. He was good at Quidditch and his studies Harry was quite good-looking, with his midnight messy hair and intense emerald pools. Also, he had a scar, the shape of a lightening bolt on his forehead. Hermione had no clue what it was from, but it gave him a slight mysterious look to add to his friendly appearance. He wasn't very muscular, but had a decent build. He wasn't fake and didn't put people down. And Hermione saw all this. But none of it was ever directed to her. No, to him, she was a goddamn Granger, a rival. So he wasn't nice to her, but he didn't go out of his way to harass her either. There was a remark here, or a glare there, but that was about it. Harry and his two best mates, Draco Malfoy and Ronald Weasley, had the reputation of troublemakers, but they did well in their studies. Well, Harry did anyway, Hermione didn't know the others' work. Harry seemed to grasp things quickly, but he wasn't as good as Hermione, no one was.

Hermione pushed all these thoughts out of her mind as she made her way to Flying lessons with Madam Hooch. Hermione loved this class the most out of all her classes. At first she had felt out of place because she was among a bunch of eleven year olds, but that was also why she liked it so much. They were only eleven, and didn't taunt her or anything about being a Granger. At first, they made a few cracks about her taking this class because she was seventeen and it was a First Year class, but all that died down and now she looked forward to this class every Friday, despite her fear of heights. She never got more than fifteen feet off the ground, but she didn't really care.

Even though Hermione wasn't ridiculed about taking that class by the First Years anymore, that didn't stop the older students from bringing it up every now and then.

Still, Hermione just shook her head of these thoughts as she reached the group of First Years. "Hey, Hermione!" A small girl called out with an energetic wave. Her name was Veronica, but Hermione liked to call her V.

"Hey V, how was that Potions test? Did those pointers help much?" Hermione asked kindly as she positioned herself over her broom, still looking at the young Gryffindor.

"Oh yes, thank you so much Hermione! I really think I did well on this one. You are so smart! I wish I could be like you!" Hermione just laughed and shook her head. V was very dramatic and always looked as if she had been hit with a permanent Cheering Charm. But nonetheless, she seemed to worship the ground Hermione walked on, and wasn't bothered one bit about her being a Granger.

"That's great, V. I'm sure you did super. How about you, Denny? Do you think you did ok?" She asked, looking at the boy to her right. He blushed and gave her a smile.

"I think I did better than last time, but not as good as Ronnie over there," he said, gesturing to Veronica.

Hermione put her hands on her hips and gave a mock glare. "Dennis Stokes, I don't care if you did better than V or not, as long as you're improving, I'm proud of you. So don't go comparing your marks to others, just do better than last time and that's all you need to worry about!" She then gave him a warm smile that made him blush even more.

"Yes, Hermione," He mutter quietly, giving her a shy grin.

"That's what I thought mister," Hermione replied.

Madam Hooch's voice interrupted their conversation, telling them class was about to begin.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry watched from the tree he was sitting under at the First Years' Flying lesson. Classes were over for him, and he was just resting under this tree with a pencil and his sketchbook. He watched as Granger almost fell off her broom, and involuntarily smiled slightly. She had no clue what she was doing. It was so funny to watch this class because a lot of them weren't real good fliers, especially Granger. Madam Hooch was telling her something, but she was shaking her head, looking at Madam Hooch as if she was mad. Harry watched as the Flying professor kept urging her to do something, but she would just keep shaking her head. Finally, she seemed to give up and move on to another student.

Harry looked down at his barely started drawing, and with a sigh, he closed his sketchbook and tried to find a more comfortable position against the tree, still watching the lesson. 'Damn, she's a terrible flier', he mused, never taking his eyes off her. She tried to go a few feet higher, but then thought better of it, descending back down.

Harry continued to watch the rest of the lesson before going back into the castle to find Ron and Draco. They were in the Common Room playing a game of chess. Draco was losing miserably, more than usual anyway. Everyone lost miserably to Ron Weasley.

"What's up, mate?" Harry asked, plopping himself in a plush chair between them, looking over the board. "Getting your ass kicked by Ron?" Harry questioned cheerfully, looking at his doomed friend. Draco just gave an unintelligible grunt, his eyes looking over the board, contemplating every possible move and its possible outcome. Harry caught Ron's eye and they both just smirked.

"Hey mate, Hogsmeade trip next Saturday. It's on the bulletin." Ron said, looking over in Harry's direction. Harry just nodded in acknowledgement. Hogsmeade was a small town just beside Hogwarts. Only the Third Years and above could go. It was an all-wizarding community, the only one in Britain. Even though they had been there loads of times (on school trips and the trio snuck out a few times), the village was always fun to go to. There was Zonko's Joke Shop, the Three Broomstick and a few other pubs, and all sorts of different shops. It was a nice escape from the stresses of schoolwork.

Harry watched as Draco's bishop got brutally tackled by Ron's knight, and Ron called out a triumph "Checkmate!"

Draco gave the board a half-hearted shove and leaned back in his chair, rubbing his temples with his forefingers.

"So, Hogsmeade trip next weekend. I could definitely go for some butterbeer, it's been awhile." Draco said, sitting back up and looking at his two best mates. The other two agreed. Then, they decided to get some of their homework done before and got their books from upstairs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione was excited. They were having a trip to the village next Friday. She had heard about it from Clarence, and wanted to visit Hogsmeade ever since. September was drawing to a close, but the sunshine was still out. Right now, Hermione Granger could be found in her dormitory, reading a book for Ancient Runes. Her room was bright from the sunrays shining through the open windows. She moved to find a more comfortable position on her bed, before giving a sigh and closing the book. It was a much too bright and beautiful day to be sitting inside, reading a book. With a small smile, the girl quickly placed her book on her bedside table and exited through the door.

As she made her way through the bright corridors, Hermione heard a strangled whimper coming from a corridor just ahead to her right. She quickened her pace and looked down the long hallway. It was much darker because there weren't any windows for the sun to shine through. Looking closer, she saw a group of older students surrounding a few what looked like frightened Second Years. One of the older students was shoving a younger one, calling them obscene names.

"Hey!" Hermione said angrily, making her presence known. The group of older students whipped around in her direction. Hermione recognized them as Seventh Year Slytherins. They all smirked. "Leave them alone!" Hermione was fuming. These Slytherins were twice the Second Years' size!

"Oh, and what are you gonna do about it, Mudblood Beaver Bitch? Are you gonna go run to a professor like a little baby?" One of the guys asked, taking a step towards her. It was Avery.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size? What, you can't take a challenge so you have to beat up little kids half your size?" She fired back, taking a step their way.

The little Second Years whimpered again. Avery looked at one of his friends and nodded his head in the direction of the frightened students, "Get them out of here," and with that, the little kids were ushered of out the dark corridor, but not before being threatened if they told anyone, the Seventh Years would have a nice surprised lined up for them next time they met. The little twelve-year-olds nodded before running down the corridor. Hermione was about to follow them out of there, but Avery grabbed her arm and shoved her in the direction of the group of Slytherins.

"Who do you think you are bitch? Do you think you can just butt in other people's business? Well, we're just going to have to show you what happens to nosy little motherfuckers like you!" and before Hermione could reach for her wand, she found her chest being shoved up against the wall, her head colliding with the cold stone. Avery yanked her head back by her long hair. Hermione felt his knee in her back, applying an enormous amount of pressure, cried out in pain. Another yank of her hair, making her head snap backward. She bit her lip in pain, and tasted blood. She gave a jerk, trying to free herself, but was thrown to the cold, stone ground. Hermione rolled over, but then felt someone kick her in the stomach. She gritted her teeth and rolled over again, and tried to push herself up on her knees, still doubling over in pain. Her head ached and she felt something warm trickle down from her left temple. Her abdomen was throbbing, and she pulled her arms around stomach protectively, before being pulled to her feet again. This time they shoved her against another wall, and a sharp pain seared through the back of her head when it was rammed against the stone.

"You want to play hero again, bitch?" Hermione felt tears well up in her eyes, but was determined not to let them see. She slid down the wall, her eyes screwed shut in pain. Another blow to her stomach, making her yelp. "Stay out of our business, of next time it will be far worse. Tell anyone about this, and you'll wish you were dead," Avery's voice was colder than the stone she was leaning against, and Hermione opened her eyes to meet his. No tears were shining in her eyes, but she was fighting Hell to keep them at bay. With one last look of disgust, he and his posse left her alone in the dark and empty corridor. Hermione tried to gain her composure and ignore the soreness of her stomach while the throbbing on the side of her head seemed to intensify. With a few death breaths and struggles to stand, Hermione finally made her way to the end of the corridor.

The sun didn't seem as bright anymore and the warmth was gone. It was deserted, for which she was thankful. Hermione continued back to Gryffindor Tower. She turned left into a corridor that wasn't so deserted. Hermione didn't meet anyone's eyes, but she could tell from the sudden deafening silence that all eyes were on her. She just passed them all, still fighting the urge to cry, not only from pain now, but also humiliation. They all knew what just happened to her. As she turned the corner, Hermione heard a murmur of voices behind her, and she caught a few words being exchanged,

"Who do you think did it?"

"Did you see that cut on her cheek?"

"She had it coming!"

When Hermione finally reached the corridor leading to the portrait of the Fat Lady, Hermione was relived to find this corridor empty. She was about to say the password to the Fat Lady when it suddenly opened and three boys stepped out. Hermione felt embarrassment settle in her stomach again. It was Harry Potter and his two friends Ron and Draco. Hermione met those green eyes that were now staring at her, surprise now etched in his face. Hermione just ignored the question look and walked passed them, into the Common Room. She was able to keep the tears from coming so far. When she got to her room, her face was still dry. Hermione even managed a warm shower to relieve the pain. But as soon as she stretched out on her bed, the dam broke and she cried herself to sleep. This wouldn't stop her though.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And with a broken wing, she still sings.
She keeps an eye on the sky.
With a broken wing, she carries her dreams.
Man, you ought to see her fly.

With a broken wing, she carries her dreams.
Man, you ought to see her fly. (With a broken wing Oooooh)

"A Broken Wing" MARTINA MCBRIDE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry stood there, dumbfounded. Harry looked at his two friends, who had equal looks on their faces.

"Did you see her? She looked like she just went thought the windmill!" It was Ron's voice, slightly alarmed.

"Yeah" Draco agreed, his voice held a hint of worry.

Harry just stood there, his eyes wide. Who in the Hell could've hurt her like that? There was a deep gash on her cheek, and Harry could tell she was in pain by the way she was walking. It wasn't her usual swift stride. No it was more of a painful stagger, as much as she tried to hide it. Her hair had been messy and some of it matted with blood. Her face had some dirt marks and there had been a nasty cut on her lip.

"Harry?" Ron's voiced was concerned, and Harry looked his way. "You alright man?"

Harry tried to clear his throat and gave a hoarse, "Yeah." Harry could still remember the pain in her dark eyes. Harry looked back at the Portrait Hole. He was Head Boy, should he report it? Should he at least help her? Would she tell him who did it? Harry was torn. His friends seemed to realize his situation.

Draco stepped toward him, "Look mate, she's a big girl and she take care of herself. If Granger wants to tell a professor about it, let her, but it's none of our business."

"But I'm Head Boy," Harry muttered, looking away.

"Harry, if she hurts that much she can get something from Madam Pomfrey. And like I said, she can tell McGonagall if she wants to."

"But she won't! She too damn stubborn to go to the Hospital Wing or McGonagall!" Harry protested feebly, looking from Draco to Ron. They just shrugged.

"That's her problem. It must not hurt too badly if she refuses to get treatment. It'll be her own damn fault for suffering, not yours. Now come on, no use just standing around here like a couple of idiots." Ron stated before turning around and walking off. Draco gave Harry a weird look before following suit.

Harry looked back at the Portrait Hole, then in the direction of his friends. 'Why do you care so much, Potter?' he asked himself. 'This is Granger, for God's sake!' Still, Harry did appreciate people just going around hazing others who didn't deserve it. And Harry was pretty sure she didn't have this coming. With a last sigh, he started in the direction of his friends, but instead of going to dinner, he made his way to the lake, trying to forget the look on Hermione's face when their eyes met.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm Drunk and I'm feeling down
And I just wanna be alone
I'm pissed 'cuz you came around
Why don't you just go home?
'Cuz you channeled all your pain
And I can't help you fix yourself
You're making me insane

"Scars" PAPA ROACH

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the next day, most of the school, save the professors, knew Hermione had gotten beat up. She tried her best to ignore their leering faces and comments like "Finally got what you deserved," or "Damn, I just wish I could've gotten to you first!" Hermione had a sneaking suspicion that some of the professor did know, but they just weren't telling. But still, she tried to go on as if nothing happened. Hermione wasn't a Healer by any means, and her spell work had been a little patchy, but the cut wasn't as noticeable, and she had brewed a headache potion and kept a surplus of it beside her bed and a small flask in her book bag. Other than that, she was fine. When Hermione had come face to face with her attackers, she just dismissed their glares and knowing glances.

Despite the careless attitude she was showing the school, Hermione felt hurt. She didn't feel that constant vigorous confidence she had just last week. She felt violated and defenseless. If they did it once, would they try to break her again?

As the week progressed, Hermione tried to forget about the incident altogether. The Hogsmeade trip was drawing near and she couldn't wait. It was Wednesday, and Hermione was looking forward to the weekend so she wouldn't have to be around all the other students. She wouldn't have to watch her step and try to dodge their outstretched legs. Hermione wouldn't have to listen to their snide comments about how she didn't belong here and didn't fit it. The week couldn't go fast enough for her liking.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One long walk down

Through the hallway now

You're finding out

That you don't fit in this time around

One long walk down

Through the hallway now

You feel left out

Left out

The one they picked last

For the big ball game

Beat up after class

No doubt

Showed up one day

You were not the same

You won't be the last one anymore

"Underdog" YELLOWCARD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry re-read his letter before looking over at Ron and Draco. Ron was currently shoving half a pancake and two pieces of sausage in his mouth while Draco was thumbing through the latest installment his monthly subscription of Quidditch Pastime Entertainment, or better known as QPE, not even paying attention to breakfast.

"Hey, Ron put the fork down for a sec and Drakes unglue your eyes from the Tornados' latest loss and listen up. How do you guys feel about playing this weekend at the Three Broomsticks? Madam Rosmerta just sent this, apologizing for it being such short notice, but asked if we were interested in playing at her pubs for a few hours. Her brother or something is coming in, and you know how they always had that my-pub-is-better-than-yours thing going on, so she wants to draw a crowd. So, you guys up for it?"

Ron, who was still trying to chew the pancake, nodded his head while Draco was eyeing Ron with a disgusted look on his face. "Sounds cool. We can play some of our new shit, see what people think of it," and after that, Draco returned t his magazine. Harry scribbled a quick note in the affirmative and sent it off with the tawny owl before digging back into his own breakfast. Now he was really excited. He loved playing at the Three Broomsticks; they could usually draw a nice sized crowd there too. They would need to practice tonight and every night for the next few days, but that was nothing. Harry chewed his food thoughtfully, trying to mentally plan the songs they could play. It would just be a few hours because Madam Rosmerta knew they would want to visit the village for a little while at least.

00

Later on that day, while Harry was studying in the library, He saw Granger. She was sitting among a group of young Gryffindors, helping them out with their homework. Harry thought about that day passing her by the Portrait Hole. He sighed. She hadn't said anything to anyone about it, and she ought to. He watched as she stood up and disappeared in the bookshelves, and before he knew what he was doing, he was following her. 'It's part of my Head Boy duties,' he told himself. He had to make sure she was at least alright, anyway.

He stopped as he watched her stretch to the top shelf for a book. With a deep breath, he made his way over, stopping in front of her. She raised an inquisitive eyebrow, one hand on her hip and the other at her side, holding the book.

"Did you want something?" she asked slowly, and Harry could hear the impatience in her voice. She still had a cut on her cheek, thought it wasn't as noticeable. Also, a slight bruise on her temple.

"Er…I-I was wanting to make sure you were alright, you know." he muttered, slightly unsure of what to say.

She cocked her head back slightly, her face becoming emotionless, "If I was alright?"

"Yeah, you know, after getting…um…you know a few days ago," Harry was getting uncomfortable.

"No I don't know, why don't you tell me," her voice was cold and she folded her arms across her chest. She continued to stare at him in the eye.

'Tell her? Like she doesn't know!' Harry thought irritably. He sighted inwardly, maybe he should've just kept his mouth shut, dammit. "Well, you know, with your injuries and all."

"Injuries?" Her voice was flat, "Oh, and do you know how I sustained these 'injuries'?"

'You got your assed kicked,' Harry thought, but something told him that wasn't the right thing to say. "Er…you…um got beat up?" He asked wit a shrug. He watched as her eyes hardened and her knuckles became white because of her increasing grip on the book.

"Got beat up? Tell me, Potter where you there? Do you know exactly what happened?" Her tone changed and Harry could tell she was about to lose her temper.

"We'll, not exactly, but-"

"Then don't worry about it. You weren't there so it's none of your business. No reason to pretend to care now." She dropped her hands to her hips and fixed him with a glare.

Harry was stunned, he was here to help! But whatever, he gave another sigh, "Look, as Head Boy, I thought I'd make sure you were alright, I guess that was a mistake. I guess I'll stop pretending to care. You're right, I wasn't there and it's none of my business." Harry through his arms up in the air, but he didn't stop there, "Maybe what some people are saying is right, maybe you did deserve getting your ass kicked, running that mouth of yours!" Harry's eyes widened, and so did hers. He didn't mean to say that, it just slipped. Her nostrils flared. But Harry noticed her eyes flash with sadness and pain, and he immediately regretted his cold words.

"Look, I didn't mean-" He started, was cut off.

"No, you look, Potter. It's none of your business, and it was a mistake for you to come here. I've got things I got to do, so fuck off!" and with that, she shoved passed him and Harry whipped around in time to watch her make her way over to the group again, give them the book and say something, before exiting the library in haste.

He hit his head against the bookshelf a few times. 'Well, that was tactless, Potter.' He gave another sigh before making his way back to his table. 'Oh well, the only reason I asked her was because of my Head Boy duties, otherwise, I wouldn't've even bother!' Harry thought as he, too, stalked out of the library.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I tried to help you once
Against my own advice
I saw you going down
But you never realized
That you're drowning in the water
So I offered you my hand
Compassion's in my nature
Tonight is our last stand

I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut
And my weakness is that I care too much
And our scars remind us that the past is real
I tear my heart open just to feel

I can't help you fix yourself
But at least I can say I tried
I'm sorry but I gotta move on with my own life
I can't help you fix yourself
But at least I can say I tried
I'm sorry but I gotta move on with my own life

"Scars" PAPA ROACH

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione couldn't believe him! Was that suppose to make her feel any better? He practically told her this was an obligation and he wanted no part in it at all. 'He couldn't have been more rude!' she thought, as she made her way back to her dormitory. She tried to put it behind her, she had things she need to get done. 'Don't get yourself worked up over some insensitive asshole, Hermione! It's not worth it.' He doesn't know her, and had no business prying into her personal affairs. Did he want to remind her of how she had gotten the thump on the head and gash on her cheek? He was probably trying to play a joke her, trying to make her think he cared, but then scoffing in her face and snickering about her with his friends. He wasn't very nice, Hermione decided. She took few deep breaths and calmed herself down before tuning to her trunk.

Hermione took a few things out of her trunk before finding a light blue folder. She opened it and took out a receipt from on of her parents' dentist appointments, which had her parents' signatures on the bottom. Clarence had told her she would need her parents' signature for a permission slip to Hogsmeade. Hermione had simply copied a receipt on their copier at home so she had their signatures. She could write up the form, and then use a charm to copy the names onto the permission slip, which would be a little tricky, but nothing she couldn't handle. So she quickly wrote out a standard permission slip on a piece of notebook paper. Then after failing a few times, she got the charm right and her parents' signatures appeared at the bottom of the paper in blue ink. Hermione smiled and stood up, with a quick wave her wand the items she had taken out of her trunk were replaced. She folded the paper in half, then in half again, making sure the folds were neat and the creases tight before setting it on her bedside table and getting into bed. She reached over and took her headache potion and took a drink of it. Her head still gave a nasty throb every once in a while over the last few days, but it was getting better. The cut was still there, but the light makeup Hermione wore and a few Blemishing Spells covered it up for the most part. She glanced at the note sitting folded neatly beside her clock. Hermione thought about the names at the bottom of the slip and sighed while setting the potion back on the bedside table.

She missed her parents dearly. She hadn't heard from them at all. She decided she would write a letter to them tomorrow and hoped they weren't too angry with her to reply back. Leaning back and pulling the cover tight around her body, Hermione rolled to her side and closed her eyes. The pain in her head ceased to a dull pounding that would soon disappear when the potion took on its full effects. Thinking along those lines, Hermione drifted off into a restless sleep about her parents and them not ever talking to her again.

Alright, now be brutal, what did you guys think? Please review, let me know if you hate it (or love it!) and we'll all be happy campers! I'm not completely happy with this chapter, I dunno, there's just something I want to do to it or change, I haven't got any idea what it is though, but I think it might have something to do with Harry, not sure though, BUT anyway, tune in for the next chapter (which I will post soon!) and REVIEW!