Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry

lillyfan16

So I am posting again. I want to repeat that. I posted on the 10th. It is now the 17th (4:00 in the morning actually) and I am posting for a second time this week. Yes, the world must be ending, haha.

Okay, so this is a big chapter. I actually thought it was going to be short-ish, but I'm over 30 something pages. Woohoo! Lots of important good, boring stuff, so DON'T SKIM!!!! READ IT ALL!!! Haha. But really, it's good stuff. I promise. I have worked through 2 VERY early mornings after 2 long shifts to get this for you (getting off work late, like 11, and writing until 4. To get up at 7:30 and go back to work…then start writing again at 10pm…and now done around 4 again) so yeah, sorry for any errors. Though I DID actually proof read this one!!!!

Anyway, read. Enjoy. Don't forget to review. If I get lots of awesome readers and reviews, I will have another chapter out in under ten days. Promise.

Chapter 21: Prophets, Parents, Prophecies, & Promises

Harry gazed at the Daily Prophet in horror, almost not comprehending. He scanned the article quickly, barely taking a word in. Finally, he managed to look up at Draco. "They're here…now?" He asked uncertainly as he slowly sat back down on the edge of his four-poster bed. What was he supposed to do now? His parents-probably in a fairly angry state-were waiting for him downstairs, most likely to discuss why their son made the front page of the Daily Prophet.

Draco, taking the hint that he needed some time, muttered something about how he'd tell them their son would be down in a few minutes before exiting through the door, leaving Harry in silence. After sitting on his bed, motionless for several minutes, Harry mechanically got up and finished getting himself dressed. His mind was so scrambled with different thoughts, he couldn't make heads or tails of anything he was thinking. After dawdling as much as he could in getting dressed, Harry finally walked to the door, took a deep breath, and stepped into the hall. `Time to face the music,' he thought lamely.

Harry stopped short of the door exiting to the Common Room. Was Hermione in there? He prayed she wasn't. It would be best if they didn't see her. He never had to deal with anything like it before, and wasn't sure how nasty it might turn out. `Maybe it won't be so bad,' he thought before letting out a snort of amusement. `Yeah right.' With a slightly less-foul mood, Harry opened the door before he lost his nerve. He easily spotted his mother and father standing against one of the walls of the room, staring out the window. He gave a slight cough as he approached them. His father turned to see him. Harry gave a small smile. "Hello, Mum. Dad." He greeted cheerfully.

Harry's dad returned a tight smile of his own, while Lily continued to stare out the window. "Good morning, Son." He father spoke. "Let's go for a walk." He led the way out of the Portrait Hole.

Harry looked over towards his mother, who had finally turned to face her son. The second his emerald eyes made contact with his mother's matching ones, and saw her anger, the only thought he could process was, `Oh shit.'

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Hermione gave a small yawn as she made her way into the Common Room. She scanned the room quickly, searching for her raven-haired friend, but he was nowhere in sight. Ron and Draco were in the corner of the room, talking quietly. She walked over to him. Once they saw her, both quickly motioned for her to join them. "Hi guys. Harry up yet?" She asked, slightly confused with their anxious behavior.

Ron nodded. "He's up alright. I take it out haven't seen the Daily Prophet?" He asked, tossing her a copy.

Hermione shook her head before taking a look to see what had them so bothered. "Great Wizards!" She gasped. She stared blankly at the photographs. Pulling the Prophet closer, Hermione began to read the article, mumbling under her breath. The article had referred to Harry as her "date" and asked the question of how long these two decedents of rival families had been seeing each other. Hermione snorted at the ridiculousness of it all. The article went on to talk about how the families had been rivalries for centuries and finally after getting fed up with the garbage, Hermione pitched the offensive material away. "That Rita Skeeter sure does know how to write stories. Honestly, can you believe it?" Hermione asked, amused. "I just don't understand how anyone could have even gotten those pictures. Surely Skeeter wasn't at the part? And the pictures aren't even moving, which means they were mostly likely taken by a Muggle. But I don't understand how anyone in my family would have known who he was, let alone take pictures and-" Hermione stopped suddenly.


Ron and Draco looked at her quizzically. "And what?" Draco asked, taking a look at the article once more. "I didn't even realize the photos weren't moving." He gave the Prophet a small shake, as if that would cause them to move.

Hermione shook her head as an uneasy feeling settled in her stomach. "And there's only one person in my family who I can see doing this. But to go as far as to writing to the Daily Prophet and sending pictures? I don't even know how she could have known…" Hermione trailed off, murmuring to herself at the point.

"Who?" Ron asked.

Hermione gave a scoff of resentment. "My aunt. She has a grudge against the Wizarding World, obviously. Doesn't even know I attend Hogwarts or have anything to do with magic at all. She's always been suspicious. And when she met Harry, she asked a lot of questions…I dunno."

"Well, there's more." Draco said, looking darkly at Hermione.

"What?" She asked, sitting down on the nearest chair.

"Harry's parents must have seen it somehow. They're here. And pissed. I woke Harry up about half an hour ago, and as soon as he got down here, the three of them left the Common Room. Don't be surprised if he doesn't come back in once piece."


Hermione could feel herself pale. She didn't know precisely what this meant, and she was sure Draco was exaggerating. But she knew from past conversations and actions concerning Harry's parents, that nothing good could come of this. "Oh shit." She swore, dropping her head in her hands.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

The trip was made in silence. Harry wondered briefly where his father was leading them, but thought better not to ask. He only followed, his eyes remaining fixed on the ground. He spotted a copy of the Daily Prophet in his father's hand.

Finally, his father stopped unexpectedly in a deserted corridor. Both his parents rounded on their son. Deciding to play dumb, Harry just stared at them expectantly, blinking a few times.

"Where were you on Christmas?" His mother asked icily.

This was it. Oddly enough, Harry felt all the fear he had felt leave him. "Home. We had brunch, remember?" He replied nonchalantly, looking from one parent to the other.

"After brunch?"

Harry bobbed his head, as if he hadn't understood the question before. "Oh, a party." He quipped truthfully.

"Who's party?" His mother pressed on. Harry could tell she was getting angry. And boy did she have a temper.

Keeping his own temper level, he responded evenly, "A friend's."

Suddenly, Harry felt his mother's hand collide with the side of his face, creating a loud `smack' that echoed throughout the stone corridor. A cold sting ached on his cheek, but Harry's gaze didn't falter. He had to fight the urge for his eyes to widen in shock. Very few times had his parents ever struck him. Taken aback but not trying not to show it, Harry retorted coldly, "Now that wasn't very nice."

He saw his mother wind her hand back again in anger, ready to strike again, but with his Seeker reflexes, he caught her hand before it could make contact with his cheek for a second time. His hand now had a firm grip on her wrist. He resisted the urge to squeeze harshly. "I said that wasn't very nice. I'd appreciate it if you didn't do it again." With that, he let go off her and took a step back.

Neither of his parents made a move. Harry could tell his parents were unsure on how to handle the situation, and he took advantage. He wasn't going to let them get to him. Not now.

James lifted up the Prophet. "Care to explain this? Care to explain how a co-worker had to show me of my own son's whereabouts, because he lied?" He asked with spite.

Harry took the Daily Prophet from his father to inspect the picture, though he already knew what it was.

"Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case, there are two. How much time do you have?" Harry replied, knowing he sounded like a smartass. But he didn't care. What made them think they had the right to come barging in here like this on some high horse? He decided not to point out the fact he never lied.

"Who is she?" His mother asked, ignoring his comment.

"Obviously you already know, otherwise you wouldn't be here. Let's just cut to the chase. Where's the problem?" Harry asked. He hated how they wanted to tap dance around the problem. Why not just come straightforward with it? If they were going to come and confront him, no need to be indirect.

"Fine." His father said, crossing his arms. "You know the rules."

Harry shrugged. "And I know who taught me to break them." He pointed out, looking at his father.

Lily shook her head. "You are not to see her anymore." She commanded.

Harry crossed his arms now as well. "She's my friend."

"Sounds like more than a friend." James replied accusingly.

Harry shrugged. "Because all reporters get their facts straight before printing a story. They always print what's true rather than what will sell." He said with a slight sneer.

"I don't care what she is to you." Lily spoke up, stepping towards her son. "You are to have nothing to do with her."

Harry didn't back down. "She's one of my best friends. I don't care who her family is. I care about her, and she's part of my life. You don't even know her." Harry shot back. How could they put blame on her so fast?

"I don't care!" Lily screamed. "I don't have to know her. Her family is dangerous! You are to have nothing to do with her!" She repeated as her temper flared.

"And I don't care what you say!" Harry raged back. "She isn't dangerous. She's the sweetest, most caring person I've ever met. She couldn't hurt anyone!" He continued furiously.

Before his parents could respond, the sound of someone clearing their throat at the end of the corridor caught their attention. The headmaster stood there, peering at the three Potters. "Why don't we take this to a more private place?" He asked politely. "My office, perhaps?"

James stepped in. "Albus, this is a family matter. I don't think-"

Dumbledore nodded in understanding. "I realize this is a family matter, James. But I can't have parents and students yelling in my corridors. Also…I believe it is time for some truths to be told. There are bigger things going on at the moment, I'm afraid." The headmaster explained, waving his arm out welcomingly to the stairs in the direction of his office. "And Harry, I believe you should go find Miss Granger and bring her along as well." Dumbledore said as they passed the Portrait Hole.

Harry went in and easily found his bushy-haired friend. Hermione, Ron and Draco all rushed to his side.

"Well?" Hermione asked anxiously.

"Come with me. Dumbledore wants to see us." Was all Harry could say.

Confused, Hermione followed him through the Portrait Hole wordlessly.


"Harry, I don't underst-" Hermione suddenly fell silent as her eyes landed on the small party waiting on the other side of the Portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Miss Granger." Dumbledore greeted cheerfully with a bow of his head.

Hermione just nodded in reply. She refused to meet Harry's parents' eyes, though she could feel his mother's gaze all but burning a hole in her skull. Silently, the small group trudged through the Castle towards Dumbledore's office.

Despite the awkwardness of the situation, Hermione couldn't help but grin as she watched the large gargoyle spring to the side, revealing a secret staircase. Harry had told her about it, of course, but seeing it was still amusing.

Once everyone filed into to office, Dumbledore conjured enough chairs for everyone to sit. "Please take a seat." He ushered before he took his own behind his desk. Once his guests were seated, he was the first to speak. "Welcome to my office." He greeted them all once again. "Just to make sure everyone is properly introduced," He began. "Miss Granger, this is Lily and James Potter. Lily and James, this is Hermione Granger." He said, tipping his head in Hermione's direction. "And now that we all know each other, shall we address the problem?" He asked, glancing from guest to guest.

Lily was the first to break the silence. "I believe the only problem we have can easily be removed from the room." She retorted steely, casting a furious glance at Hermione. Hermione felt her face heat up, embarrassed.

"I think we have more important matters, dear Lily. And no one will be removed from my office. First and foremost, I would like to say that I try to get to know each of my students as much as I can. For rather obvious reasons, I have taken a personal interest in getting to know Miss Granger here, and I must say, I have yet to have seen such a bright student in all my years here. As well as such a selfless one." Hermione blushed at his compliment.

Harry's parents didn't seem impressed.

Moving on, Dumbledore heaved a heavy sigh. "And as I mentioned previously…" He cast a knowing glance at Lily and James, "I believe it is time for the truth to come out. Miss Granger, Harry…I must ask you to wait outside for a few moments, if you will." Dumbledore said, eyeing his pupils.

Sharing a confused look, Harry and Hermione got up and exited the room, leaving the adults alone. He heard the door shut tightly behind him. He let out a steady breath.

Hermione rounded on her friend immediately. "Harry James Potter! What a way to ambush me!" She spat accusingly to her friend.

Harry just shrugged. "I'm sorry. I wish I could have told you, but they were waiting and there wasn't much time…I'm sorry." He replied apologetically.

Hermione just sighed. "Well then? Are you going to tell me what's going on? Why are we all here? What's this sudden truth?" She was firing questions that Harry couldn't even answer.

He decided to just tell her what he did know. Not sure of how long they had to wait on the steps outside Dumbledore's office, Harry quickly summed up the morning's events, from Draco shaking him awake to Dumbledore finding Harry in a shouting match with his parents in the corridor. In response, Hermione told her own account of the morning, from Draco and Ron frantically showing her the Daily Prophet, to her deduction of who had been behind it all. Once all the knowledge was shared between the two teens, a silence fell over them as they each took everything in.

"So Darlene then, huh?" Harry finally asked.

Hermione shrugged. "It makes sense to me. I don't see how it could have been anyone else."

Harry nodded in agreement.

"So how pissed were they?"

Harry gave a snort. "Let's just say my mother decided to brand my cheek with her hand print. Apparently, I'm a smartass." Harry replied, rolling his eyes.

It was Hermione's turn to chortle. "How long have they known you? And this came to a surprise?"

Harry pretended to look offended before glancing over at the door with a serious look on his face. "I wonder what they're talking about." He implored curiously, pressing his ear up against the door. He shook his head. Nothing. "I'd like a pair of Fred and George's Extendable Ears right about now." He said, fruitlessly checking his pockets.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He's one of the most powerful wizards alive, Harry. I doubt the seal on his door can be hoodwinked by a joke product created by a pair of troublemakers. If he doesn't want you to hear this, then you aren't going to hear it." She pointed out wisely.

The two waited for another few minutes before the door swiftly creaked open, inviting them to rejoin the adults. After sharing one last look, the two teens returned to their seats. Harry could tell his parents were more irritated than when he had left. Uncertainly, he looked up at the headmaster for answers to questions he didn't even know.

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "I am going to give a brief overview of my knowledge. You are all going to have questions, but I must ask you to wait. I will be more thorough once I get everything out."

Baffled, Harry and Hermione each unconsciously leaned forward with baited breath.

"First, I must ask for you, Miss Granger, to take Harry's hand." He instructed. After Hermione gave him a puzzled look, he gestured his hand towards Harry encouragingly. Harry reached his hand out to his friend, which Hermione hesitantly took. She noticed Lily purse her lips wordlessly. She looked up at Harry's face for a reaction. From what she saw, there wasn't any intense pain.

"How do you feel?" Dumbledore asked Harry, glancing at their joined hands. "How is your scar?"

Harry gave a small shrug. "No pain."

The headmaster dipped his head in acknowledgement. "And when is the last time you felt pain?"

Harry thought for a moment silently. "At Hermione's house. We…" He eyed his parents for a brief moment. "We were exchanging presents, and we actually shared a hug and maybe even brushed arms, and there wasn't any pain. Then, suddenly, five minutes later, it was there again. I-we didn't understand what happened or why it changed." Harry confessed, careful to choose his words.

Behind his desk, Dumbledore let out a small breath. "One minute, things were fine, and then the next, touching was painful?" He confirmed.

Both Harry and Hermione nodded.

"Did anything change?" Dumbledore asked. "Be very thorough. Walk me through the entire scenario. I need to know exactly what happened and what was said. Everything you can remember."

Harry looked at Hermione for help, unsure of what all to say, and how far he needed to go back. Taking the hint, Hermione started. "He had just met me and my cousin at a small yogurt shop. I believe we greeted each other with a hug, and Harry didn't feel any pain. We walked to my house, I gave him a tour. We chatted for a few minutes before exchanging Christmas presents. Harry had wrapped my present in numerous boxes that were covered in tape, so it took several minutes to unwrap it. It had been a great present, so I thanked him with a hug…"

Harry picked up from here. "And once again, there wasn't anything. I opened my present. I gave her a hug in thanks, and suddenly realized my scar hadn't hurt at all. Despite the contact we had had that day, I had no recollection of my scar even twinging. I brought this to her attention. And then," He look at Hermione again for help.

Hermione shrugged. "I dunno. Then he grabbed my hand or something to prove it, but it hurt again, I think." Harry nodded in agreement.

Dumbledore was silent for a few moments. "Did anything change?" He asked again. "Was anything said? Had the mood be altered in any way? Do you remember the conversation?" He pried, asking for every detail they could remember.

The two teens searched their memories, but shook their heads.

Dumbledore got up and went into a cabinet. Harry craned his neck to see what the headmaster was doing. He caught sight of a small basin, which Dumbledore carried over to the desk and gently sat it down. Harry couldn't tell if it was filled with a liquid or a gas. He knew what it was, though he did not know much about it. A pensive. He had seen only a few in his lifetime.

"Miss Granger, I would like for you to concentrate on this memory. Every detail." Dumbledore instructed, picking up his wand and walking over to Hermione. Feeling slightly selfish, she closed her eyes and focused on her and Harry exchanging presents. She felt the tip of the headmaster's wand at her temple, then felt a small chill on her neck as goose bumps sprung up.

Harry watched as Dumbledore extracted a silvery substance-Hermione's memory-from her temple and place it in the pensive. The substance swirled around and the image of Hermione's room became clear. Everyone crowded around the pensive for a better look. Dumbledore gave a flick of his wand, and the sound of Harry and Hermione's voices filled the room. With a sense of déjà vu, Harry and Hermione watched the scene play out before them, as if on a small television screen.

Hermione opened the box and was met with a bunch of tissue paper. She sifted through it and pulled out the gift. Once she read the cover, she suddenly stopped. "Harry!" She shrieked before launching herself forward to give him a hug, knocking him backward. She squeezed him tightly, muttering, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" over and over. Once she untangled herself from him, she continued to gush, "This is the best Christmas present ever! Thank you so much!"

Harry laughed at her reaction.

Hermione's eyes fell on her present to him and her happiness vanished.

"I get to open mine now!" Harry cried as he moved to pick it up. Hermione quickly snatched it up first. Harry looked at her quizzically. He made a move to take it back, but Hermione stood and ran to the other side of the room. "What's wrong?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "Did you get me the same thing or something?" He said jokingly.

Hermione shook her head, near petrified. "This present isn't yours." She lied, taking another step back.

Harry laughed. "Don't be silly. It has my name on it. I saw it, Hermione." He told her.

Hermione sighed before bluntly confessing. "My present to you sucks. It sucks and I don't want you to open it. I'll…get you something better or something." Hermione told him.

Harry grinned before reassuring her, "Hermione, I'm sure it doesn't suck. Stop being silly."

"But it does!" She shot back, her grasp on the box tightening.

"No it doesn't!" Harry replied.

"Yes it does!" Hermione cried back.

"Does not!"

Hermione ripped open the present and threw the box at him. "See? It sucks!" She said before dropping to her knees.

"Well," Harry replied in a snooty voice, "Now that you opened it and took away my favorite part of opening presents, it does suck."

Hermione didn't say anything.

Harry laughed and finished tearing off the paper so he could see what it was. An electric shaver. He smiled. "Aw, thanks, Hermione. It's great, really." He said with a grin. "Thanks! I don't have one of these!"

Hermione sighed, "You hate it."

"No, I don't hate it. I love it. It's a great gift. I think of the two of us, I faired off better than you. I've always wanted one of these." Harry declared.

Hermione shook her head. "You're not excited about it at all."

Harry jumped up and ran over to her, tumbling her backwards and mimicked Hermione's actions from earlier. He leaned forward to kiss her on the cheek. He stopped short, wet his lips up real nice, and gave her a sloppy kiss. Hermione pushed him away and quickly wiped away his slobber. "You're disgusting!" she stated with a mock look of revulsion, trying to hide her surprise.

Harry laughed and stood before offering her a hand and helping her up. He grabbed Hermione's arm.

Hermione looked over at Harry and then down to his hand. "Something wrong?" she asked.

Harry grinned. "This doesn't hurt. Touching you…my head hasn't hurt at all today, not even when we…you know."

Hermione shrugged. "That's odd. Because usually it does. Are you sure there wasn't even a little pang?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. Hermione moved over to sit on her bed. "Well, this is all quite odd. I've looked up everything I could think of, and found nothing. It doesn't make sense. And now, all of a sudden, it's gone? That makes even less sense."

Harry nodded again. "I dunno, Hermione. Maybe, whatever it is, it's cured."

"I don't think these things just suddenly cure themselves overnight, Harry." Hermione pointed out.

"True, but you never know. I mean, we've been so busy with things; it seems as if a lot of things have just gone away. What about your dreams? When was the last time you've had one of those?"

Hermione shrugged. "I dunno. It has been awhile. But I don't think that has anything to do with it. I mean…well, honestly, those dreams…" Hermione gave a shiver. "I dunno, Harry."

They were both quiet for a moment.

Hermione finally broke the silence by clearing her throat. "Erm…well, I suppose it's nice I don't hurt you anymore?" She offered with a smile.

Harry forced a laugh and reached over to squeeze her arm. However, this time, the familiar pain rushed through his head and he quickly let go. He looked away.

Hermione could read it in his reaction. "…Or not…" she finished, glancing down at her feet, almost ashamed now.

Harry sighed. "We were supposed to go to Dumbledore about this, but things have been so terribly busy lately, with the N.E.W.T.S. and Quidditch and Christmas. We should probably really go talk to him about this. It isn't normal. I mean, it doesn't happen when Ron or Draco touches you or me or…I dunno." Harry really didn't know what to say.

Hermione nodded and looked over at her new present. "In the mean time, Harry, Happy Christmas and thank you so much for the present. You will be getting yours shortly."

Harry laughed as the mood lightened. "Happy Christmas to you too. And really, it isn't necessary. This," He picked up the electric shaver, "Is great, really. Thank you." He meant it. He did love his new gift.

"Absolutely not. I would feel terrible. Please, just let me redeem myself?" Hermione asked seriously.

Harry sighed, "Alright. I will let you attempt to outshine yourself and buy me another present. But please, don't make it something impractical and stupid like an electric shaver or something. Come on, seriously! Can you say bloody lame?!"

Hermione gave him a small shove, careful not to make contact with his skin. With a satisfied smile, she suggested, "Shall we go to lunch then?"

The memory slowly began to fade. Dumbledore dipped his wand back into the pensive and gave it a small stir, causing the memory to resurface and play once more. After watching it a second time, Harry watched as Dumbledore dipped his wand back into the pensive again. Expecting him to play it again, he was surprised when he extracted the same silvery substance and raised his wand back to Hermione's temple, replacing the memory.

Everyone returned to their seats and looked up at the headmaster expectantly. Harry refused to look at his parents. The scene had been rather private, and now he felt near-exploited. He didn't have to look at Hermione to know that she felt the same. He could almost feel her discomfort.

"Well?" James asked, looking at Albus.

The headmaster bowed his head. "After acknowledging the contact no longer caused pain, you referred to dreams. Tell me about these dreams." He uttered, straightening his half-mooned spectacles as his gaze shifted to Hermione.

Hermione felt her face flush once again. Did she have to? Especially with Harry's parents in the room? Reluctantly, Hermione gave a brief, vague overview of what her dreams contained, leaving out specifics as far as names and such. As the content of her dreams was shared, the mood of the room immediately shifted from anger and confusion to apprehensive and nervous, particularly from Harry's parents. It was almost as if their worst fear had come to life.

Despite knowing this wasn't helping matters as far as making a good impression on Harry's parents, Hermione continued anyhow. Dumbledore listened attentively, though Hermione could tell he wanted more from her. But she wasn't going to give it up. Harry shot her an anxious look, encouraging her to keep certain parts of her dreams private. Finally, the headmaster gave a look of understanding as he realized Harry's parents' presence was a factor in her going any further.

Dumbledore dipped his hand into his robes and pulled out a pocket watch. "It's near lunch time." He remarked, looking back up to his guests. "Lily, James," he addressed, "I believe you have something you would like to discuss with Harry. I would like to continue this," He gestured the small meeting they were having, "After lunch, if possible. James, Lily, Harry, you may all be excused to the Great Hall for lunch and if you could, maybe be back up here in an hour or so. And Miss Granger, if you could join me for lunch?" He asked.

Hermione should have seen that coming. "Of course, Professor." She replied, sitting back in her seat as she watched all the Potters leave the room. Now alone with the headmaster, Hermione felt her stress and anxiety level plummet.

"I'm not quite sure what you like, Miss Granger, so," Dumbledore gave a flick of his wand and all the instruments and items on his desk levitated straight up, leaving it clean. Another flick, and food and two sets of plates appeared. Hermione gave a small grin, impressed. "Well, no need to be shy. Dig in!" Dumbledore encouraged.

Hermione grabbed a sandwich before spooning a few sides onto her plate. Soon, the two of them began their meal.

"So tell me, Miss Granger, is there…well anything else you would like to tell me?" He asked with a small chuckle.

Hermione nodded. "About my dreams…there's more. I didn't…with Harry's parents."

Dumbledore inclined his head in understanding. "Of course. However, this is very important, Hermione. I need to know everything. And by the sound of it," He glanced upward towards his pensive, "I may need to see it as well. But let's wait until after we eat."

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Harry and his parents made a silent trip to the Great Hall. He was expected to be bombarded with questions, but was relieved there were none. He was anxious to find out what they had to say to him, as far as needing to tell him something. As they sat down at the end of the Gryffindor table, Harry massaged his temples. This whole thing was giving him such a headache. Everything was happening so fast, yet nothing was really happening at all. It seemed as if everything was suddenly being questioned and things that never held much importance now needed to be dissected for every detail. And that was just a memory. What else was in store for them?

Not feeling very hungry, he dished a small amount of food on his plate and picked at it for fifteen minutes as his parents ate. Still, no one said anything. He wished they would hurry up.

After what felt like forever, the three Potters had eaten their fill and now had nothing to do but address the situation. "So?" Harry started, ready to get whatever conversation they had in mind out of the way.

Harry's parents shared a look, and Lily leaned forward and pushed Harry's bang back in a motherly gesture. Harry stiffened at her touch as thoughts of the corridor flooded his mind. His parents stood and gestured for him to follow.

The three of them made their way into an empty classroom and sat down on the deserted desks.

James began. "This isn't going well at all. I don't think we handled the situation in the best of ways. We came here, assuming and angry. However, perhaps you will now understand why. Your scar. We were never in a car accident when you were younger. When you were a child, it was dark times. Voldemort had risen to power, destroying anything and everything he could. He had an army. Your mother and I were obviously with the Order of the Phoenix, an organization that fought against Voldemort. We were prime targets, particularly because of you."

"But why?" Harry asked, confused.

"There had been a prophecy foretold that there was only one person who could stop Voldemort. I don't know the prophecy exactly; Albus will be able to fill that in. In short, a child who was born at the end of July to parents who had defied Voldemort on three separate occasions, and the child would eventually defeat the Dark Lord. There were two babies during this time. You and another. He had to mark his equal, and he chose you. This put us in even a greater danger. Albus used a charm-a Fidelius Charm-to keep us safe. We used Peter Pettigrew as our Secret Keeper, which meant no one could find us unless he told them of our location. We thought he was one of us. We knew someone was giving Voldemort information, but we didn't know who it was. We wanted to use Sirius, but he insisted that Voldemort would never go for Peter. Peter was too weak.

"As it turns out, Peter was Voldemort's spy. He told Voldemort of our whereabouts. On the night Voldemort came to attack, your mother and I weren't there. We had gone out for the night. You were left with friends of ours. Voldemort came. The couple we had left you with-Eustace and Clarence-tried their best against the attack. They loved you very much. Once we got home, Aurors and wizards were everywhere in our house. Eustace had been killed by Voldemort. However," James paused for a second, getting slightly choked up, "He had given his life, trying to save yours. He was like a grandfather to you. Apparently, Voldemort had come in, and went after you. Eustace's love for you saved your life. After he was killed, Voldemort turned his wand on you. His spell backfired, and he Avada Kedarva'd himself. Clarence said he was ripped from his body. The house had been blown to smithereens. The scar that is on your forehead was the only injury you had sustained, marking you." He finished, looking at his son.

Harry's head was spinning. And he thought things were confusing earlier? "Let me get this straight. Voldemort tried to kill me because there had been a prophecy made saying I would defeat him. He came and attacked the house, killed one of my caretakers for the night, and…killed himself?" Harry asked uncertainly.

Lily gave a shrug. "No one knows what really happened to him. Did he die that night? No one knows. Albus doesn't think so. He hasn't been in the Wizarding World for over sixteen years. It was said that you were the only one who could destroy him…but no one knows. A very select group of people know about the prophecy. Albus, your father and I, the Seer, Sirius and Lupin of course, Clarence and Eustace knew…" she trailed off.

Harry's eyes widened suddenly. Clarence? "What ever happened to Clarence?" Harry asked slowly.

"She was devastated. Kept to herself. She owns a Wizarding Library now. Haven't heard from her in years." Lily replied.

Harry nodded. That was Hermione's Clarence. He didn't have the extra brain power to sort that one out right now. "Why did the spell backfire?" He asked.

"The ultimate sacrifice of giving your life for another out of pure love is a very, very old branch of magic that Voldemort-who know nothing of love-never accounted for. Eustace's love for you saved your life." James answered softly.

Wow. Harry didn't know what to say.

Lily took a step forward. "Can you see it now, Harry? Voldemort is part of her family. And he tried…tried to kill you. He tried to take my baby away from me." She began to sob, and Harry took her in his arms. He hugged his mother. This must not be easy for her. "That's why you can't have anything to do with her, Harry. You know about her dreams and her touch causes you pain already. She is bad news."

Harry released his mother and drew away from her. "No, you don't get it. I don't care. That's not her. Her dreams…it's not, Mum. She doesn't even have them anymore. She has no connection to Voldemort, and is nothing like how he was." Harry responded defensively, feeling himself becoming heated over the subject.

James reached out to rest his hand on Lily's arm in a calming gesture, which half-worked. Instead of ripping Harry, she just let out a small puff of air and walked over to the window in the room, wordlessly. James gave Harry a warning look, which he heeded and allowed his own gaze to quietly fall to the floor. He could see they weren't ever going to understand. And really, they didn't need to.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Once the food was cleared away, Dumbledore asked Hermione to go into more detail with the dreams she had been having. Upon her silence, he then asked her if it would perhaps be easier to see them. Feeling ashamed, Hermione nodded and allowed him to extract more of her thoughts.

"This time," Dumbledore said, standing up and gesturing for Hermione to do the same, "We are going to take a closer look."

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked, stepping closer to the pensive. The headmaster held out his hand, which she hesitantly took. Before she knew it, she felt herself being tugged into the basin. As her surrounding spun around her, Hermione felt as if she had been here before. Of course she had. It was one of her dreams. She looked up to see the headmaster standing beside her.

"Where are we, Hermione?" Dumbledore asked calmly, looking around.

Hermione gave a shrug. She hadn't had this dream in a long time. She spotted two hooded figures just a few yards away. Immediately she made to move behind a tree. "Quick, hide!" She whispered.

Dumbledore gave a soft laugh. "No, it's okay. We're just visiting the memory. No one can see us. On the contrary, let's move closer."

As they stepped closer to the figures, Hermione recognized herself and Avery immediately.

"Mr. Avery?" Dumbledore questioned, somewhat surprised.

Hermione nodded. "He thinks I can do dark things and wants me to pick up where Voldemort left off." She managed, unsure if the headmaster would believe her about one of the fellow students.

Dumbledore bowed his head with grave acknowledgement. "It's a shame some young students wish to follow in their parents footsteps so."

Suddenly, out of thin air, several people Apparated into a circle, surrounding the two hooded figures and the visitors. Avery bowed his head to the hooded Hermione in respect and joined the surrounding circle.

"Welcome, my loyal subjects." The hooded Hermione welcomed, lowering her hood. "I wish to thank you for joining me on such short notice." Hermione gave a cold laugh. Watching it from the outside, Hermione felt chills run down her spine. She appeared so heartless. "Tomorrow will be sunny. Children will laugh and play in parks. Couples will kiss and hold hands on the streets. Parents will appreciate the nice weather. The older folks may even go out for a nice stroll around the block. Tomorrow…will be a good day." She said to her masked followers, who looked at each other, as if confused.

The sly sneer found its way on their master's face. "Yes, tomorrow will be a good day…tonight, however," she paused for dramatic effect. "Tonight, this town-" she pointed to a small town at the bottom of the hill they were gathered on, "Will burn. And tomorrow," She laughed cruelly, "Will not have enough sunshine to put a smile even on a blind man's face."

Those crowded around her started to laugh and jeer in excitement. As if to signal the war of the night was to begin, Hermione lifted her wand, and with a flick of her wrist, a ball of fire exploded from the end of her wand, hurling towards the small group of houses. Evil laughter filled the air as everyone rushed to the small town, wands ready.

Hermione looked back up at Dumbledore, who appeared quite calm. Before she could say anything, she felt her surroundings abruptly change. She was still outside, but in another place. A field, just outside a small house in the country. But this time, there were only two hooded figures with no masks. Her and Lucious. Two others were there as well. The moon was full, and a man began to transforminto a werewolf. Hermione watched herself kill the man-now-werewolf with ease. Then she began to battle the woman, Nymphadora. Lucious intervened and took the woman's life. More evil mirth. She watched herself suddenly shout, "Morsmorde" and shoot a spell in the air. Her mark. A red neon skull with a green serpent tongue hovered over the house of Remus and Nymphadora. The world started to change again.

This time, she found herself and Dumbledore inside a foyer of some kind. She felt her stomach twist as she heard a knock on the door. A man with dark hair and glasses came to the door. James Potter reached out for the door, but before he could open it, it blew open and off its hinges. Hermione watched as she and Avery walked inside the house. "I hope you don't mind," the dream Hermione said with her lip curling, "But we just let ourselves in."

She and Avery made their way into the sitting room, where Lily sat with a book. James ran to his wife. Hermione couldn't watch this dream again. Her stomach twisted even more painfully. Knowing who they were. She noticed a small bassinet in the corner. Something she had never noticed before. Tears came to her eyes as she watched herself taunt the Potters, cruel and heartlessly. James tried to beg for his wife's life to be spared. Hermione's head started to spin wildly. She was going to kill them. She tried to turn away, so she didn't have to watch, but found it hard to do so. Almost sickenly mesmerized by her dream-self, Hermione-disgusted-watched her grotesque actions. From the torturing to the taunting to finally a flash of green light. Dumbledore grabbing her arm caused her to jump. She had almost forgotten he was there. She felt that familiar pull, and swiftly found herself back in Dumbledore's office, out of her nightmares.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Guess I just got lost
Bein' someone else
I tried to kill the pain
Nothin' ever helped
I left myself behind
Somewhere along the way
Hopin' to come back around
To find myself someday

Lately I'm so tired of waiting for you
To say that it's ok, but tell me
Please, would you one time
Just let me be myself
So I can shine with my own light
Let me be myself
Would you let me be myself

I'll never find my heart
Behind someone else
I'll never see the light of day
Living in this cell
It's time to make my way
Into the world I knew
Take back all of these times
That I gave in to you

"Let Me Be Myself" THREE DOORS DOWN

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

She couldn't meet his eyes. Hermione knew he judged her now. He had seen her do disgusting things. Tears she didn't know she had were carelessly trailing down her face. How long had she been crying? She rushed to the door and tried to open it, but found it locked. "Open the door!" She ordered, refusing to turn around.

"Miss Granger," Dumbledore whispered softly.

"Open the door." She demanded once again, pulling the handle. She grabbed her wand, but found her magic useless against his.

"Hermione." Dumbledore repeated, using her first name this time with a little more urgency. "I know you must feel ashamed-"

Hermione whirled around, tears blinding her by now. "You don't know how I feel! You don't know what it's like to watch yourself kill people like that. Even if it's just in my dreams! You don't know!" She screamed.

"Hermi-"

"NO! You don't know! You don't know what it's like. To be terrified to fall asleep, afraid of what you might see. Scared shitless that you just might actually enjoy it. You don't know how it is to feel torn between two different worlds, even when you know right from wrong. Don't tell me you know how I must feel, when you don't know a damn thing." Hermione said, starting with a shout and ending in a quivering, ashamed whisper.

Dumbledore looked surprised at her outburst, Hermione could tell. She was too. But no, he didn't know. He couldn't. He couldn't know how it felt to see yourself so full of devilry and wickedness, be disgusted and at the same time, shamefully yearn for such power. No, he didn't know.

A heavy silence filled the room, which Dumbledore finally broke. He waved his wand, and Hermione heard the lock on the door click, signaling it was now free to open. She turned the handle daringly, her eyes glaring at the headmaster. "Hermione, I will not try to pretend I know exactly how you are feeling, because in all honestly, I do not know. I am a very powerful wizard, always have been. I have also always been for the Light. I have spent most of my life against the Dark side. So no, I don't know how it feels to be conflicted between the two worlds. But I am willing to understand, Miss Granger. Teach me. Tell me how it feels, so I can appreciate your bravery and courage to resist even further. Because you are a good person. I know this much. As does Harry. He cares a great deal for you.

"We are living in trying times, even if no one knows it. There is a war raging that has yet to surface. It may not for many years to come. And you, Miss Granger, are a main component of the War, I am sure of it. You will either be a Savior to the Wizarding World and Muggle World, or you will cause both worlds' damnation. You know your feelings. You know your desires more than anyone. What do you want? To be the Blessing…or the Curse?" He asked softly.

Confusion began to fog Hermione's brain. His words didn't make sense. What was coming? Damnation? How was she so important?

Taking advantage of Hermione's deer-in-headlights state, Dumbledore continued evenly, "But before you make that choice, you can make an easier one. You can leave and try to forget about everything…or you can stay, and get answers." He proposed, sitting back in his chair.

After several long minutes of silence and staring, Hermione finally let go of the door. "I'm not a blessing, nor am I a curse. A wise man once told me to be absolutely sure about who I am and what I stand for, and never to compromise. To go the distance." Hermione said, causing a small smile to find its way on the headmaster's lips. "I'm not entirely sure about who I am. Nor do I know everything I stand for. But I've had thoughts and feelings that felt more real than anything I had ever felt before since I've been here at Hogwarts. Not all of them were morally good. It's hard to be teased your whole life, to never fit in with anyone. Scorn from every direction is difficult to take. So when someone comes in with a solution, with revenge, it can sound as sweet as iced tea on the sunniest of days. And it's caused me to compromise even my strongest beliefs. I've reconsidered morals and rules I've never even had to think twice ago." Hermione spoke softly, captivating Dumbledore's attention. After a small pause, she continued, "However, I've learned. And I do know a few things about myself. I know I'm a good person. I know I've made mistakes. I know there are people I love and care about more than anything. I know I'm smart. I know about wise choices, and how to make them.

"I know a few of my morals that will never change. I will never find it acceptable to go into a house and take the lives of innocent people I don't know, or even of those who I do. I know I could never even think to rid the world of a child. And I would never compromise myself enough to the point where it would put my personal beliefs in jeopardy, particularly when things become as serious as life and death.

"And finally, I can't promise I'll go the distance. I used to think I would always go the extra mile, always fly by the finish line, only to keep going because it wasn't good enough. It never was good enough for anyone. I'm not so sure anymore. I don't know how far I'll go. But I do know I will go as far as I can, with everything I do. Because that's one of those things I know about myself. It's one of those things I stand for. Something I'll never compromise." Hermione finished her voice low, but stern and full of confidence.

Dumbledore was quiet for a moment. "Then, Miss Granger," He replied with a small smile, "You are the Blessing."

Hermione shrugged. "Call it what you want."

"I know this is hard for you, Miss Granger, but I need you to relive your nightmares once more. I need you to explain them to me. The people in them. How did you find out about them?" He asked seriously.

Feeling more comfortable with the situation, Hermione told him the truth. "I don't know. I never knew they existed. I've never seen them in my life. I never knew they were real. I saw a photo album of Harry's once, and recognized his parents. I was terrified. Then I saw Remus. How could I see people I never knew existed in my dreams? I had their names right, their faces…I even knew of Remus being a werewolf. But how?" Hermione questioned curiously. She could tell the mood suddenly changed in the room. This surprised the headmaster, she could tell.

"I-I don't know. You've never seen them before? No knowledge whatsoever? And what about the Dark Mark? You knew the spell to conjure it. Not many know that spell. How much research have you done on Voldemort? Did you see pictures?" He asked, leaning forward. Hermione could tell he was becoming more urgent for his answers.

Hermione shook her head. "The dreams started way before I began any deep research. I don't know how I knew the spell. I've never even read about it. Eventually, once Harry and I became closer, I began taking Dreamless Sleep potions to stop them. Then after awhile, they stopped on their own." Hermione told him truthfully.

The headmaster nodded in understanding. "You had no recollection of anything in your dreams before having them, but you were to dream with significant detail and accuracy, down to the Death Eaters such as Lucious Malfoy." He muttered, and Hermione could tell he was having a hard time believing so.

"Lucious Malfoy? Is that…Draco's father?" Hermione asked, never making the connection before. Looking back at it now, she couldn't see how she had missed it. They looked so similar. Though, Harry looked very much like his father as well, and she never made that connection either.

"You've never heard of him, either. Yes, it is." Dumbledore confirmed, wiping his brow. "I can only think of one explanation. Your dreams have been controlled. Someone has had you bewitched. Perhaps Voldemort himself." He continued, though Hermione almost felt as if he was talking to himself more than anyone else.

"And the dreams have stopped?" He asked.

Hermione nodded.

"So the connection must have been broken." He went on, standing now and starting to pace.

"What does this mean, Headmaster?" Hermione asked, fear creeping into her mind. She had been bewitched?

Dumbledore stopped suddenly and sat back down. "I don't know. We must keep a closer eye on this. You must learn to block your mind. You will start training Occlumency immediately. It is a powerful branch of magic, but necessary."

Hermione looked at her headmaster, befuddled by the sudden sense of urgency. "But why now, Professor? Why all this sudden rush?" She asked.

"Because I didn't know things had progressed this far. I told you, Miss Granger, a war is brewing. Voldemort is still out there. I don't know w hen it will happen, could be in a year, it could be in ten. But you must be prepared. You must protect yourself. Even in better times, you never want to let your guard down and let another wizard into you r mind."

That made sense. "I see what you mean, Professor. But this war you keep talking about…how do you know it's me?"

Dumbledore sighed. "That is for a different conversation. Harry too. Others will play a role in it as well, but it would be unwise to reveal the reasons behind these truths. The revelation could be a catalyst for a forced situation, which will cause failure." He could almost see Hermione's mind trying to make all these connections. "Right now, you must not worry about it. There are other things to think about. Protect yourself. Study for your N.E.W.T.S. Rejoice in choosing what's right, rather than what may seem easier. Keep me informed. Occlumency will help you guard your mind. Professor Snape is highly skilled in Occlumency. He will help you. For now, that will be enough." He finished.

"So what now then?" Hermione asked, looking at Dumbledore expectantly.

"Now, we wait." He quipped. "Lemon drop?" He asked, pulling out a jar of yellow candies from a nearby drawer. Hermione thought it was a rather absurd thing to ask in a situation like this. However, she took him up on his offer, and popped one of the candies in her mouth. Her face contorted into a sour expression, and she immediately spit it out.

Dumbledore laughed. "Yes, they're quite strong." He warned before slipping two in his mouth.

They waited in silence for a few minutes before there was a soft knock on the door. Dumbledore waved his hand, and the door swung open, revealing the Potters.

"Please, come in." Dumbledore ushered, gesturing towards the chairs. "I trust things went well?" He asked.

James looked from his wife to his son, neither who were in the best of moods. "He knows."

Dumbledore nodded in approval. "Miss Granger and I had a nice lunch and chat. I put my full faith in her being an asset to the Order. It is necessary for the past to become just water under the bridge," Dumbledore said, eyeing Lily in particular. "Time may be of the essence, or perhaps not. The knowledge of not knowing is very dangerous. Harry, do you have any questions?" Dumbledore, addressing the befuddled teen.

Harry looked up to see all eyes on him. Questions? There were so many, he didn't even know where to begin. He sighed. "The prophecy. Can you elaborate?" He asked uncertainly.

"No beating it around the bush with you, Mr. Potter." Dumbledore replied with a slight laugh. Many years ago, Sybill Trelawney made a prophecy concerning Voldemort and his reign of power. The prophecy reads as follows:

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...."

The mood of the room suddenly shifted. Dumbledore looked almost grave after having to tell Harry of his fate.

Did Harry just hear what he thought he had just heard? "I'm sorry, Professor. It almost sounded like you just said neither can live while the other survives…and one must die at the hand of the other?"

Dumbledore dipped his head in confirmation.

"So…are you saying that I have to kill Voldemort, or Voldemort must kill me…?" He asked meekly.

Once again, Dumbledore bowed his head. "I am sorry. But you are very important to this war. You have the `Power the Lord knows not.'"

"What is that power? I don't understand. I'm just Harry, nothing more, nothing less. I don't have any more power than anyone else." Harry explained.

Dumbledore held up a hand to halt Harry's explanations. "Harry…I wish I had the answers you seek, but I don't. You have the Power. I don't know what it is. It is something you must find out for yourself. Voldemort has marked you as his Equal." He responded unhelpfully, his eyes fluttering up to Harry's forehead.

Harry's mother reached out and took her son's hand. Tears had formed at the corners of her eyes. She had known this for seventeen years, but that still didn't help matters.

Not feeling any better about the situation, Harry just nodded. Nothing was making sense right now. How did this even happen? If someone would have told him all this when he had woken up this morning, he would have laughed in their face at the absurdity. Instead, he's facing the absurdity now, and there was nothing to laugh about. Did anyone honestly expect him to become a murderer?

Hermione wasn't taking the news any better. She had gasped when Dumbledore revealed the nature of this prophecy Harry had asked about. That must have been the truth his parents had to tell him during lunch. Hermione didn't miss Dumbledore's eyes locking on Harry's forehead where his lightening bolt scar was. She cleared her throat. "How did he mark him as his equal?" She inquired, looking from Dumbledore to Harry.

However, it was Lily who retorted with an upset tone, "He tried to kill him!" Her voice was angry, and Hermione could tell letting bygones be bygones was the last thing on her mind. Hermione suddenly regretted asking. "I'm sorry to hear that." She replied forcefully, though not for the first (or even the second time) that day, she felt as if a wrench had been thrown into the works, adding to chaos. Voldemort, one of the more powerful Dark Lords-her ancestor-had tried to kill Harry? She would ask Harry more about it later.

Dumbledore addressed the two young adults. "I realize this is a lot to take it. You don't have to understand everything today before you leave my office. I will here to help you, to guide you. Harry, I will be here to help you cope with your fate, and prepare for an inevitable battle. And Hermione, Occlumency isn't an easy skill to master. But is essential that you do so, and I have no doubt that you will soon perform it well. I've witnessed your powers. And Lily and James. I know this is very hard for you right now, but you know this is necessary. Voldemort will come back; it's only a matter of time. I hadn't realized just how far things had gotten, for which I apologize. Both Harry and Hermione will have very important roles in the War. We must let Fate run its course. What will come, will come. What has happened, has happened. And we are going to have to deal with it the best we can." Dumbledore stated gravely, his light blue eyes-without that familiar twinkle-pierced the pools of each of his guests meaningfully. "And I think that will be all for today. I do not want to put a fear in any of you, so please, continue as you had in the past. But now you have the knowledge that there is something to start preparing for. Perhaps it's time for certain amends to be made. The Order must be working in full harmony if we want to even stand a chance."

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

I'd like to believe we could reconcile the past
Resurrect those bridges with an ancient glance
But my old stone face can't seem to break her down
She remembers bridges and burns them to the ground

"Cumbersome" SEVEN MARY THREE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"One last thing. Miss Granger, could you please take Mr. Potter's hand once more?" Hermione did as she was told, and by Harry's eyes snapping shut, Hermione could tell what effect she had on him this time. She quickly broke the contact.

Dumbledore nodded. "Both of you have a connection with Voldemort, Hermione by blood, and Harry by your scar. It seems that your scar hurts when Hermione had Dark feelings or urges, either consciously or subconsciously. You say you haven't felt it in awhile. While looking at Hermione's memory, once her dreams had been brought up, a Dark energy-even if it was just memories-had surfaced. Before the revelations of today, Hermione's mind was clear and there was no pain. Now, after giving accounts and visiting her dreams again, the energy had come back. I believe I know a solution to this problem. I will get back to you once I know a little more. In the mean time, you two are dismissed." Dumbledore finished, standing and opening the door with a wave of his arm.

Both Harry and Hermione got up and left the room quietly. They almost ran down the stone steps and out into the Entrance Hall. They stopped and looked at each other knowingly. "I think we have a lot to share." Harry said, though his brain felt as if it was already in overload.

Hermione laughed and nodded in agreement.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

So you found out today your life's not the same
Not quite as perfect as it was yesterday but
When you were just getting in the groove
Now you're faced with something new
And I know it hurts and I know you feel torn
But you never gave up this easily before
So why do you choose today to give it all away

Well it's not so bad y'all
Together we all fall
Just as long we get up we'll stand tall
We shouldn't waste another day
Thinking 'bout the things that we forgot to say

"No Giving Up" CROSSFADE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

A little over half an hour later, the two of them could be found bundled up, sitting at the base of a tree in the snow near the Lake after already having made two laps around the frozen body of water. Both shared everything they had heard and said. Harry told Hermione about how his parents had told him about his past, and how he had had a connection with Clarence. Hermione was shocked at the news. Hermione told him how she and Dumbledore had relived her dreams and how he had deduced she must have been bewitched, which was why she would be taking Occlumency lessons. She even told him about her outburst.

Once everything was said, Harry pulled Hermione close to him by her arms and stared deeply into her brown eyes. He had a very serious question to ask. He felt bad for asking, but knew it was necessary. "Hermione, after today and all the headache they've given us, I need to know. I trust you, Hermione, I really do. I know you're a good person. I know what Avery has said to you. I know about your dreams. I know the conflicts and internal battles you've had to face. I understand completely. But I need to know this is what you want, Hermione. I know we can't see it now, but it sounds like things are getting serious. Things will be serious. I'm still confused. I still don't understand the who's and what's and why's, but I know something big is coming. I need to know this is your side, and this will remain your side. Promise me this is where your loyalty will always lie, and I'll believe you, Hermione." Harry told her slowly, not wanting to make it sound as if he was accusing her.

Hermione's first reaction was to get defensive, but that passed quickly. She batted away her instinct to be offended. She looked down at the snow. She could understand where he was coming from. Was this always going to be her side? Her thoughts drifted back to the speech she had made to Dumbledore. She eased off her glove, motioning for Harry to follow suit. Clearing her mind, Hermione tried to erase any Dark energy she may be harboring. Instead, she focused on all what she thought was good. Her parents. Harry. Dumbledore. How Christmas vacation had gone. Harry saving her with a kiss. Their moment under the mistletoe. Harry playing on stage. His desperate phone calls. She giggled internally. Finally, she reached out and took Harry's hand. She easily laced her fingers with his so their palms met. She looked up at his deep, green eyes. Such beautiful eyes. She smiled. She saw no pain there. "I promise." She whispered softly, squeezing his hand to reinforce her decision.

Harry returned her smile with a soft one of his own, as well as her affectionate squeeze. "I knew you would."

"Then why did you ask?" Hermione fired back, not angrily, just as a simple question.

Harry looked down at their interlocked fingers. "Because I needed this."

Hermione squeezed his fingers again, this time with a more playful force.

Harry dramatically wrenched his hand from hers and dropped to his knees. "Now you are causing me pain!" He whined, holding his `pained' hand in his gloved one.

Hermione giggled and pushed him over in the snow. In response, he grabbed her pulled her down, forcing her to drop to her knees as well. "You are such a goof."

Harry pulled her into a hug. "So? You're an evil little girl. We're even."

Hermione laughed. She pulled out her wand suddenly and aimed it at Harry's shoes, transfiguring them into ice skates. She then did the same to hers. She stood and offered him her hand, which Harry eyed warily before taking it. Before they could step out onto the Lake, half of which had been bewitched to remain frozen for ice skating while the other half resisted any freeze (with an invisible barrier between the two areas so students couldn't go into the unfrozen portion), Harry pulled her back.

Hermione looked at him quizzically.

"I'll go ice skating with you…if you let me take you flying with me." He proposed compromise, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

Hermione laughed. "We both know that isn't going to happen, Harry Potter."

Harry shrugged. "Then I'll watch you from our tree."

"You know I'm terrified of heights. That's not fair." Hermione shot back.


"And I'm terrified of ice." Harry argued without missing a beat.

"Liar"

"So?"

Hermione bit her lip. "You know, I'm not suppose to compromise. Headmaster's orders." Hermione retorted.

"And I'm not suppose to go-what was your world-ah, yes, gallivanting around with a Granger. Mother's orders." Harry countered.

" Touché." Hermione responded. She considered his ultimatum before finally giving in. "Just a small ride, only ten feet from the ground. Over a safety net." She agreed.

"Twenty feet."

"Ten. You're lucky. I was going to say five."

"Five?! You'll still feel the Earth under your feet!" Harry exaggerated earnestly.

Hermione hopped onto the ice and started skating off, hollering behind her, "Which is exactly how I like it!"

Harry laughed before jumping on the ice himself, only to fall flat on his face. Hermione came to his rescue and helped him up. "Honestly, Harry, how will you ever vanquish a Dark Lord when you can't even stand on your own two feet?" She teased.

Harry laughed. "Just for that remark, I'm taking you to the tops of the trees!" He said, grabbing onto her for stability.

Hermione scoffed. "Keep dreaming. He won't have to kill you. I'll do that myself. Broom accident. I'd say it's believable. Wonky-faint-things shouldn't be attempted with a passenger." Hermione said, sticking out her tongue.

"Wronski Feint. Honestly, Hermione, haven't you ever opened a book?!" He teased, earning an `accidental' trip from Hermione, ending with him landing on him bum on the ice once more.

While neither were very strong skaters, the two held onto each other to keep their balance. Once they got the hang of it, the two made a few slow laps around the iced lake in a comfortable silence, both thinking it was nice that they could joke about what the future held now, but knew there would be a time when joking about it was going to be the last thing on their minds.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

It's an itch we know we are gonna scratch
Gonna take a while for this egg to hatch
But wouldn't it be beautiful

Here we go, we're at the beginning
We haven't fucked yet, but my heads spinning

Why can't I breathe whenever I think about you
Why can't I speak whenever I talk about you
It's inevitable, it's a fact that we're gonna get down to it
So tell me
Why can't I breathe whenever I think about you

High enough for you to make me wonder
Where it's goin'
High enough for you to pull me under
Somethin's growin'
out of this that we can control
Baby I am dyin'

"Why Can't I" LIZ PHAIR

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

From a distance, two adults looked on to the younger duo.

"I don't like it."

James sighed. "I know, dear. I don't either. But Albus usually knows what he's talking about. He's guided us and others through hard times." He said, not liking what he was seeing either. His son, hand-in-hand with the decedent of none other than Lord Voldemort himself. The very wizard who had tried to take his son's life when he was just a baby.

"Would it be so terrible if I charmed the lake under her to turn into water for just a few seconds?" Lily asked, tilting her head slightly to the left. "Just long enough for her to fall in. It would return to its ice state right after, of course."

James laughed in response. Before he could say anything, a voice from behind said cheerfully, "I think it would right up there with letting her drop off a cliff into burning lava and perhaps locking her in a trunk with a boggart that would turn into Minerva, saying she had failed all her N.E.W.T.S. for two days."

Lily and James both turned their heads to see their mutual friend Sirius Black, who came up behind them and looked out onto the Lake.

"Sirius Black. You knew and you never told us!" Lily accused, letting go of her husband and reaching for her wand as she rounded on Sirius.

The man held his hands up in surrender. "Lily, dear Lily, what would you have me do? The boy trusts me! We're men! Us blokes stick together!"

Lily shook her wand at him threateningly. "Well if you blokes want to stick together so badly, I can make it a permanent situation for the pair of you!"

James stepped away from his friend. "Hey, hey, hey. I like women. I don't stick with the blokes, honey, remember that!"

The trio all laughed.

"So really, who is she?" James asked Sirius.

Sirius bobbed his head. "She's a good girl. Smartest witch I've ever met. Never been to a Wizard School before. I'm sure Dumbledore told you she was trained by Clarence." Sirius said.

"Might have mentioned it." Lily said stubbornly. "The fact that she is entirely too bright for her own good despite never having proper schoolling isn't at all impressive. Not really." She pointed out bluntly.

Sirius snorted. "I don't think your eyes are the only thing green on you at the moment, Lils."

In response, Lily waved her wand behind her, towards the offending friend and muttered, "Tarantallegra."

Sirius's legs took on a mind of their own and he began to dance, arms and legs flailing about wildly. The slick snow caused him to slip and fall, though his feet continued their disastrous dance in the air while he was on his back, causing snow to fly in his face. The Potters laughed at their friend's predicament.

After a few more seconds of enjoyment, Lily ceased her hex. "What were you saying? Trying to be cheeky, there?" she asked mischievously.

Sirius stood and dusted the snow off himself. "No comment." He mumbled, picking snow from his hair.

And that concludes Chapter 21. Good stuff, right?! Like I said, if I get some good encouragement, I will have the next chapter out by the 26th, promise. Otherwise…psh, it could be months, who knows, ;) Haha. I am holding my story hostage!

Hehe.

P.S.--> I have never had a particular liking for Lily (don't get confused with the name on here, I joined accounts with my old beta, she's the fan). However, I loved writing her in this. Especially the ending.

P.S.S.--> In her defense ^ I don't want to make it sound like she's terrible for slapping Harry. This isn't something she does. It was one of those super-angry things…and let's face it, he WAS being difficult.

Okay, I'm done. I love you all. Please review. And keep reading! I've replied to all the previous reviews…just in case there are any of you who read my responses to you…

BYE!!!!

Until next time (which could be before the 26th…)

Peace out.

*~Archie*~

-->