Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry

lillyfan16

Hi all! I know I said I would have this posted by the 26th, but I got REALLY busy with just about anything and everything, so it's a little late! Well, here's the next chapter. It's a whopping 30 pages, though I don't really feel like I wrote much. I didn't even really feel like stopping where I did, but I figured it would be a decent (and maybe even interesting) stopping point for the moment. Plus, I'm pooped. Very tired. So enjoy! And thanks to all of those of you who read and reviewed the last chapter! I will reply to the reviews this week as soon as I can. Most likely tomorrow night. Anyway. ENJOY!

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: Occlumency and Broom Rides

"Master, the Daily Prophet had a rather interesting story…" A voice whispered nervously, his eyes directed towards a large, over-stuffed recliner chair.

"Interesting, huh?" The chair seemed to respond.

The man nodded anxiously, shoving the Prophet forward.

This action displeased the creature in the chair. "Well? Read it to me, Wormtail!" It jeered impatiently.

"O-of c-c-course, my Lord." He stuttered, clumsily dropping the Prophet. He lumbered forward to pick it back up.

"You fool!" The chair ridiculed.

Finally, Wormtail began to read the front page article aloud to his master. Once he was finished, he bent down to show the creature in the chair the photographs.

The creature pushed it away, insulted. "Disgusting. Pathetic. Why would you think I would find this interesting?" The voice hissed angrily. "It's bad enough my mother's family had given up on regaining any power in the Wizarding World. Such weak fools. And now, one who has had the courage to come back into it isn't even trying to regain power. Even worse, fraternizing with such repulsive company. Harry Potter, worst of all." He spat the name, as if he could think of nothing more revolting.

"My Lord, I'm sorry. I-I-I just thought-w-with one of them part of the W-wizarding World. Close to Harry Potter. Perhaps…" Wormtail stumbled over his words, terrified.

"Perhaps what? Perhaps I could lure her away and join my side? And bring Harry Potter right into my hands, and allow me to restore to power? That's ludicrous. It would nev-" He stopped suddenly. "What was her name again?" He asked as reached out a near-transparent arm out towards the Prophet. With a weak grasp, he peered at the photographs.


"H-Hermione G-G-Granger, my L-Lord." The small petrified man stuttered.

Voldemort's head snapped up; his blood red eyes drilling his servant with a malicious stare. "It's been awhile since I've seen my family. Perhaps, a family reunion is in order." A malevolent laughed followed, causing Wormtail to shake.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

The visit with Harry's parents had been interesting, to say the least. Their reaction had been somewhat expected, of course. Dumbledore's addition, well, that had been a complete shocker. Harry and Hermione had barely been able to even begin sorting the mess out. Nothing made sense, and everything had been a complete surprise. Now what?

They had talked some while ice skating, but both had tried to avoid the subject for the most part. They decided to deal with only one thing at a time, and, as odd as it sounded, dealing with Harry's parents was actually the easier task at hand. Lily and James had still been at the Castle when Harry and Hermione returned. They stayed for dinner, with Sirius joining them. The dinner had been complete and utterly awkward. No one spoke of what had occurred in Dumbledore's office. Lily and James ignored Hermione's existence, for which she was more than grateful. Sirius had engaged the couple most of the time, leaving Harry and Hermione to sit in an uncomfortable silence, exchanging soft whispers every once in awhile. Eventually, Hermione excused herself to the Library, and didn't seen Lily or James for the rest of the evening.

Harry found her a short-while later, buried in a book. "Hey there stranger." He greeted cheerfully.

Hermione returned his greeting with a small smile. "Parents gone then?" She asked, wasting no time.

Harry plopped himself down beside his friend and nodded. "Yep. About bloody time, I say. And sorry about, well , everything. You didn't have to leave, though I definitely understand why you did. I wish I could have followed." He admitted.

Hermione gave a shrug. "It's fine. Let's just…I dunno, sort all this out, shall we?" She asked, closing her book.

Harry sighed. "I don't think I have the energy. It's late. Can't we `sort' tomorrow and just live with chaos for tonight?" He whined.

Hermione raised an eyebrow at his begging. "Honestly Harry. This is rather important, I would say. Putting it off probably won't be the best of ideas." She warned.

"I know. It's just until tomorrow." He reasoned logically.

"But we start classes tomorrow. What if we're too busy? You heard the professors. After Christmas vacation, the workload piles up pretty quick with the N.E.W.T.S. coming up." She fired back.

Harry gave a small groan. "Well then…we'll put it off forever. How bad can it be?" He asked with an endearing grin.

"And if Voldemort himself comes knocking at our doors, read for a War?" She pressed on.

"Then," Harry replied intelligently, "We will go hid under the blankets with a favorite comforting stuffed animal, pray we aren't found, and try to sort it all out then." He finished as if it was the most obvious thing to do.

In response, Hermione chucked a book at him.

000000000000000000000000000000000000

Putting it off had been a lot easier than Harry had thought. Between Quidditch and classes, two weeks had gone by without having time to spare to devote to figuring out the mess. Whenever Hermione would bring this to his attention, he would remind her that the War could be years away, and Dumbledore had even said to go on as if nothing had happened, and worry about their N.E.W.T.S.

Hermione wasn't as convinced. She was terrified of the whole mess. She had actually been charmed by someone, without knowing it. Someone was controlling her dreams. She had been vulnerable. And she vowed she would not let such things happen again. She had her first lessons in Occlumency with the Potions Mater this evening, and she had done more than enough research on the subject, as well as practicing on her own. Harry may be willing to sweep al the new information under the rug for the time being, but she was not. Instead, she had been researching at night, once her homework was done, trying to find every ounce of information concerning Voldemort, prophecies, Occlumency and its counter Legilimency, pretty well anything she could get her hands on.

She left Harry in the Common Room with Ron and Draco, who all swore to do their Charms essays, and headed to the Dungeons.

Hermione wished they could have had these lessons somewhere else. She was used to being down here for her classes, but there was a group of students then. Now, it was just her and Professor Snape, who she could never figure out. When she first came to Hogwarts, he almost appeared-dare she say it-nice to her. However, once her and Harry had become friends, his liking for her-if that what it had been-had gone down.

"Miss Granger," he greeted with a nod, opening the door to allow his student in. Hermione walked in gingerly, a little nervous. "Sit." He ordered, which Hermione obeyed.

"As you know, the Headmaster wishes for you to learn Occlumency. He has informed me of certain dreams you have been having. He believes you had been bewitched, and hopes for that not to happen again. Occlumency is a very obscure branch of magic, and when used correctly, can prove to be highly useful."

Hermione nodded in understanding.

"What do you know about Occlumency? I'm sure a know-it-all like you has taken the initiative and done research on the subject." He said disdainfully, causing Hermione's cheeks to heat up.

"I actually have, professor." She confirmed. "I understand that it is a branch of magic that helps one to seal their mind against attacks, and is particularly used to counter Legilimency. I don't understand the exact process. I know Legilimency is breaking into another's mind, almost of if reading their thoughts. And if someone is well-practiced in Occlumency, they can block these intrusions successfully. I think the Headmaster thinks this will help me prevent being bewitched again." Hermione finished quickly.

Snape nodded. "Occlumency is normally used to counter Legilimency, yes. It has much to do with will-power. You have to leave your mind blank and empty. The way he wants to use it with you is not unusual, though it is not the big purpose for it. `Reading thoughts' is a native interpretation. The mind is not a book one can just read at leisure. The mind is a complex, powerful thing. Legilimency allows an attacker to gain access to memories and even feed fake memories or dreams to their victim. Eye contact and a close distance are usually needed, though there are those mastered Legilimens who can do it despite time and space.

"Your mind has been bewitched. You have been experiencing dreams you don't understand with real people you have never met. The only explanation is that someone had planted these thoughts into your head. Dumbledore believes this wasn't done through Legilimency, but rather a simpler charm. Once you can practice Occlumency successfully, these attacks will be blocked. Even if you are unknowingly bewitched again, as long as you use this, they will fail to penetrate your mind, and their charm will basically be snubbed." He explained.

This all made perfect sense to Hermione. "I've been practicing for the last two weeks. I read the practitioner must clear their mind and become void of all emotion." Hermione closed her eyes and raised her wand. "I'm ready." She told him matter-of-factly.

Snape raised an eyebrow at her know-it-all demeanor. Did she think she had nothing to learn? "That's it?" He asked smoothly. "You're `ready?'" He asked with a hint of obvious skepticism, to which she just nodded, eyes still closed. He raised his wand, "You may try to defend yourself however you would like." He offered. "Three…two…one-Legilimens!"

Whatever Hermione was expecting, this was not it. She had practiced clearing her mind, and despite knowing the attack would come, nothing could prepare her for it. Images tore through her memory, flashes just seconds of each flashing before her before quickly going to another, and she had no idea how to stop it.

She was ten and had just been pushed over by a boy in her class. As he ran away laughing, his shoe laces mysteriously became untied and tied together, causing him to trip. She was fourteen at Madam Suddusk's Volumes, stuttering her last name Solstice. Now she was seventeen at Girls' Club, being teased. Her parents taking her wand away. Now she was under the Sorting Hat, as it told her she would do well in any house. Her first day in Potions, as Harry told her she was in his spot.

"STOOOOOOP!"

Hermione suddenly felt pain hit both her knees. She opened her eyes to find her knees had hit the stone floor. It took a moment for her surroundings to come into focus. Snape was thrown backward, with his wand out of reach.

"You used the simple Disarming Charm?" Snape asked, standing up and brushing himself off before locating his wand.

Hermione shrugged. "I don't know. I just…something exploded and I hit the floor." She explained.

Snape nodded. "Not as poor as it could have been. You let me get in too far. Are you sure you're ready?" He sneered vehemently.

Hermione knew he was making fun of how sure she was she could do this. "Did you see everything I saw?" She asked, trying to change the subject.

"Flashes of it." He responded, trying to sound indifferent. Did she just see a hint of pity in his cold black eyes?

Embarrassed now, Hermione raised her wand. "What is the most effective spell to use to defend it?" So maybe she didn't know everything.

"A simple spell is not the most effective way to counter Legilimency; have you listened at all? Occlumency counters Legilimency." He spat, his eyes harsh now. "What is Occlumency, Miss Granger?" He asked.

"A branch of magic that allows the Occlumens to conceal their mind to-"

"No! What is Occlumency? Not the textbook definition. What IS it? I already told you. What is it, really?" Professor Snape demanded, making Hermione cower slightly.

"It allows the mind to be free of emotion and-"

Snape suddenly flicked his wand in anger, causing one of the jars floating in his office that held some unknown creature suddenly explode. "Not what it does. What is it about?!" Hermione could tell she was making the Potions Master angry with her stupidity, but somehow, she must have missed what it was.

"I-I don't know, Professor." Hermione admittedly whispered, looking down at the ground. She felt like crying.

Snape said nothing, but just stared. "Will-power." He said smoothly. "Occlumency is about will-power. It is closing your mind. No spell will do this. Will-power and discipline. Empty of all emotion. Close your mind. Block out the attacker. Once you can conquer your emotion, you will succeed in Occlumency." He finished.

Hermione nodded. `Clear my mind,' she thought to herself. `Empty all emotion.' She shook her hands, as if this would cause all emotion to fly out of her fingertips. After another few shakes, she closed her eyes again, mentally preparing herself for the next attack.

"I will go again on the count of three. One…two…three-Legilimens!" He attacked.

Hermione felt her barriers being instantly broken. Flashes of memories swept through her mind once more.

Cho was corning her in the corridor. Avery and his friends were bullying her. She and Harry were laughing in the Shrieking Shack. Sitting alone outside her house, waiting on her parents. She was crying hysterically at Clarence's house.

Suddenly, she felt the same pain shoot through her knees as she dropped a second time. Her eyes snapped open, and she found Snape in the same state as last time as well. He wiped his greasy hair from his eyes.

Hermione's breathing was slightly heavy. Sweat dripped from her forehead. Anger coursed through her, partly because he was witnessing such private memories, and partly because she hadn't mastered Occlumency yet.

Snape stood and dusted himself off a second time, irritated. "That wasn't much better." He observed cruelly.

Hermione tried to ignore his snide comments.

"You aren't trying hard enough." Her professor informed her.

Hermione just shook her head. "I'm sorry. I am trying. It's difficult." Hermione replied, making excuses.

Snape's lip curled. "But I thought you were `ready?'"

Hermione refused to meet his eyes. She felt tired and as if her energy had been drained.

Snape raised his wand again. "Prepare yourself." He warned.

Hermione closed her eyes, fought off the tears that started to sting because of her failure, and raised her own wand, attempting to clear her mind.

0000000000000000000

Hermione's mind felt weaker than it ever had by the time she trudged back up to the Gryffindor Common Room. She felt tired and sore. As she slumped in a an empty chair in front of the fire, Hermione felt as if she could finally calm down. The room was mostly vacant. She spied Harry laying on the couch, fast asleep as if he had been waiting up on her. She smiled for the first time in the last couple hours. He was so sweet sometimes.

With a mischievous grin, Hermione used the Aguamenti Charm and sent a small jet of water in Harry direction, splashing him in the face. He jerked away, nearly falling off the couch. Hermione giggled.

Harry looked over at the source of his rude awakening and grinned. "Hey you." He greeted. "How long have you been back?" He asked, sitting up and wiping his eyes.

"Only a few minutes," Hermione replied.

Harry moved over and motioned for Hermione to join him on the couch. "Was is dreadful?" Harry asked, giving her a pitiful look.

Hermione shrugged in response. "I dunno. I never really got the hang of it. I'm supposed to go back next week. I knew it would be difficult, but I didn't expect this. It's like he's just...prying into my memories, and I can't stop it." Hermione confessed, feeling like a failure.

Harry placed a comforting arm around his friend and pulled her into a hug. "It's okay, Hermione. I mean, this is only your first night. You already said before that this was a difficult branch of magic to master. You'll get it; don't worry. You're the brightest witch I know."

Harry's words caused a smile to grace Hermione's lips. Despite feeling angry and upset with herself, Harry seemed to melt that away. She knew he was right. She would get it eventually. "It's not very fun." She said whined.

Harry laughed. "You're stuck with Snape in the Dungeons. I don't think fun was even a possibility."

Hermione nodded. "I know, right? And my knees hurt really badly. I knew I fell on them several times when I tried to block my mind. It seemed like every time I finally managed to stop his attack, I just dropped. I even hit my knee on his desk at one point!" She recalled.

Harry's face suddenly became full of concern. He reached down and gently eased her skirt up just above her knees. Bruises marked her legs, making Harry frown. "Are you okay?" He asked, rubbing her knees slightly.

Hermione grimaced and Harry hastily pulled away. "I'm sorry!" He apologized quickly. Hermione blushed, as did he. "I'm sorry, that was…inappropriate." Harry said, looking away. "I was just…"

"No, no, no. It's okay. I-er…it's just tender. I fell a lot." She laughed, trying to lighten the sudden awkward mood.

For a few minutes, neither said anything. Finally, Hermione stretched. "Well, I should probably get to bed. Um, I'll see you tomorrow then?" She said, standing.

Harry quickly stood as well. "Yeah, er, I'll see you in the morning. Good night." He replied with a small smile.

Hermione returned his good night, and started up the stairs. She stopped and cast one last look at Harry, who was watching her exit. She smiled and gave him a small wave, which he returned.

Right as Hermione was about to disappear through the door, she heard Harry's voice call after her. "You know, you still owe me that broom ride." He reminded her, smiling.

Hermione laughed softly, rolling her eyes. "I never promised you it would be any time this century." She countered easily.

Harry scrunched his nose. "That's not playing fair."

Hermione chuckled again and disappeared behind the door.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Hermione had pondered and contemplated for great lengths of time, racking her brain while trying to figure out a suitable Christmas present. Now knowing how brilliant Harry's gift to her had been, Hermione felt as if she had high expectations to meet. Despite knowing Harry quite well by now, Hermione still couldn't think of anything that he wanted that he didn't already have.

Hermione sighed as she closed her book. She had no interest in researching Voldemort right now. Harry's present had captured all of her concentration at the moment.

Hermione slowly climbed off her bed and walked over to the window to peer out at the icy lake where the moon reflected beautifully. She signed once more and sat back down on her bed and reached over in her drawer where her camera was. She had charmed it so it would still work properly despite the magical atmosphere. Smiling, she slowly went through the pictures. She stopped at one of her and Harry at her Christmas party. It really was a great photo of them. Hermione picked up her wand and conjured up a simple wooden frame. With another flick, the photo of her and Harry popped behind the glass of the frame. The picture stared back at her, motionless. She needed to develop the film in a special potion so the pictures would move. This would suffice for now though. She absently admired the photo silently for a few more minutes before placing it on her bedside table by the one of her and her parents.

After looking out at the night sky, Hermione gave one last sigh before finally deciding on a present for Harry. It was petty, but unless she could come up with something better, it would have to do.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

"Are you ready for this?"

"Yes."

"Do you want to?"

"Not even a little bit."

Hermione giggled. "Harry , we need to talk about this."

"Fine." Harry said, crossing his arms in mock anger.

"I've been doing some research, and-" Hermione started.

"Without me?!" Harry interrupted with wide eyes.

"Harry, this is serious!" Hermione reprimanded.

Harry pulled a straight face. "Okay, I'm ready. What did you find out?" He asked. He really was ready to figure this out. As much as he didn't want to face it, he knew they needed to.

"I've been doing some research. Dumbledore did give us a lot of information to go on. I couldn't find anything about the prophecy, but I don't think too many people know about it. But we know what it is. I couldn't find much about the connection we have. Honestly…I don't know what we have to sort out…" Hermione admitted.

Harry sighed. "I dunno either. I think…rather than sorting these things out, we need to more…come to terms with it, maybe? Like accept it, you know?" Harry expressed, running a hand through his hair.

Hermione nodded. "Okay. So what do we accept then? I've read about as much as I could about Voldemort. This `War' that's coming up…well, let's just say judging by how it had been in the past, it's not going to be a good thing. A lot of lives were lost, both Wizard and Muggle alike. It's frightening." Hermione rambled.

"Okay. First, let's come to terms, and then we'll move on. Voldemort tried to kill me." Harry said simply. "He tried to take my life, and did not succeed. Now I'm supposed to kill him and pretty much save the Wizarding World."

There was a silence.

"And if you don't kill him, he will kill you. Remember the prophecy said `Neither can live while the other survives.'" Hermione reminded him.

Harry sat there and let everything sink in. "I have to kill Voldemort. Who tried to kill me. And took someone who I suppose was very dear to my family." Silence. "I have to kill him. I have to become a murderer."

Hermione watched as Harry tried to process this. Despite having known this already, neither had really tried to take in exactly what it meant. Now, she was all but forcing them to take a good look at what was presented to them. Hermione could tell Harry was having difficulty wrapping his head around this.

"I have to kill someone." Harry whispered, blinking.

"Someone bad!" Hermione quickly added. "Someone who has wreaked havoc for years. I'm sure you'll be a hero." She tried to lighten the mood.

Harry shrugged. "I don't think I want to be a hero, Hermione." Harry told her simply.

Hermione nodded in understanding. "Maybe…I dunno. Maybe he'll off himself first, who knows?"

Harry smiled. Despite admitting the inevitable, he still couldn't quite comprehend what he had to do. Could he really take someone's life? No, he couldn't.

Hermione looked at him worriedly. "Are you okay?" She asked, concerned.

Harry shrugged. "I don't think I can do this. I don't think I could…you know…kill someone, you know?" Harry confessed, not meeting her eye.


Hermione nodded. "I know. I can't even believe it. But…maybe we don't have to, right now. I thought we were, but maybe…instead, we just have to say it, even if we don't necessarily believe it."

"Okay. That makes sense. I mean, Dumbledore said the War could be years away. We don't have to prepare right now or anything." Harry insisted.

"Right." Hermione agreed. "But it doesn't hurt to just, you know…discuss what has been said to come. And of what's happened." She said slowly.

"Alright then. So Voldemort tried to kill me. I can't believe it, honestly. Even more, my parents never even said anything! How could they keep this from me? They said it was because they wanted to protect me. You know, it would be a lot easier to take all this in if I had know even known a smidgen of…of…of this!" Harry exclaimed.

"At least you knew more than me! And Harry, I can see where you're parents are coming from. Can you imagine knowing all this at a younger age? How do you think a child or even younger teenager would react to this? I think," Hermione chose her words carefully, "That by waiting…they in a way did protect you. This whole thing is too big for someone of a lesser maturity level to comprehend."

Harry didn't say anything. He knew she was right. But that didn't help matters. He knew he may not have been able to handle it before now, but he still felt as if he should have at least known something. He decided not to press it. Trying to win an argument with Hermione was pointless.

Instead, he took the high road. "Okay. Now, what about you?" He asked. "What do you have to accept?"

Hermione shrugged. "Dumbledore made it sound as if we had a big part in this coming war…I mean, I can see how you have a big role, but as for myself…I just don't see how I could be important. Is it because of Voldemort?" Hermione questioned, not really expecting an answer.

"Well, it's probably because you're so brilliant. And close to the Great Harry Potter." Harry said jokingly.

Hermione shoved him playfully. "I'm being serious!"

"Okay, okay. Honestly, Hermione, I have no idea. I think…I think we've done enough thinking. Everything will work itself out in the end. I mean, what will come, will come; and we'll just have to meet it when it gets here. We don't have to worry about this now. Instead…let's just pay a little extra attention in Defense class?" He offered.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Did you come up with that all by yourself?" She asked, slightly impressed with his persuasion attempts.

Harry gave her a cheesy grin. "How long have you known me? Are you even aware of my charming wit?!" He asked in mock outrage.

Hermione laughed. "Whatever. I have a present for you." She said suddenly, pulling out a small wrapped box.

Harry's eyes lit up and he made a grab for it, though Hermione quickly levitated it way above their heads. Harry jumped a few times, trying to snatch it from the air before pulling out his own wand. However, Hermione's charm was much too strong. Finally, Hermione allowed the present to drop directly on top of his head.

Harry rubbed the spot it hit for a few seconds, pretending to be wounded, before carefully starting to unwrap his present. After a few small rips, he stopped and said, "Yeah, we both know this isn't me…" A gleam took hold in his eyes and he started to shred the present's wrapping apart.

Hermione laughed though she felt nervous again. It was lame, she knew. But it was kinda funny in a way, as well.

Harry finally got to the small box and opened it. Inside, there was a coupon-like piece of paper. On it, read GOOD FOR ONE FREE (RELUNCTANT) BROOM RIDE. REDEEMABLE AT ANY GIVEN TIME. VALID ONCE. Harry started laughing loudly. "Priceless!" He said, pulling Hermione into a hug. "This is great." Harry said happily.

Hermione smiled at his reaction. "I know it's lame, but you're hard to shop for!" She said defensively.

Harry shook his head. "No, honestly. This is great. And the other present. Really, don't beat yourself up. Now…when should I redeem this, is the question." Harry wondered aloud.

Hermione shrugged. "I dunno, but class starts," she looked at her watch, "In about fifteen minutes, so not now."

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Harry trudged through the snow towards Hagrid's hut. Smoke billowed up from the chimney, urging Harry to move faster because he knew that meant warmth. Finally, he knocked quickly and was relieved when the door creaked open.

"'Ello there, Harry." Hagrid greeted him, ushering him in.

"Hi Hagrid." Harry returned, shoving off his snow-covered coat.

"No `Ermione?" Hagrid asked, pouring some steaming tea.

Harry shook his head. "No, she has lessons with Snape. Hagrid, what do you know about horses?" Harry asked curiously. "Or maybe a similar animal in the Forbidden Forest even?"

000000000000000000000000000000000000

Occlumency, Hermione decided, was the worst thing ever. She had strong magical capabilities. She knew this. She was a powerful witch. Snape, however, was a very powerful Wizard. He kept taunting her, asking how she was going to block her mind from an attack she didn't know coming, maybe even from the Dark Lord himself.

Hermione just kept picking herself up off the floor, half-embarrassed because of some memory he had surfaced, half-embarrassed because of her incompetence. She wasn't getting worse. In fact, she was improving. However, it wasn't at a pace that neither impressed neither she nor her professor.

"Tell me, do you know the meaning of will-power, Miss Granger?" Snape sneered.

Hermione nodded. "Yes, sir." She answered.

"Then show it!" He commanded.

Hermione nodded again.

She tightened her grip on her wand and attempted to clear her mind, despite the difficultly she was having at the moment. Finally, she let out a steady long breath.

"Legilimens!"

Memories flashed through Hermione's mind's eye. She was clobbering playfully by Harry into the snow. Her mother was hugging her, telling her she was proud. She was staring at Harry under the mistletoe.

Hermione pushed as hard as she could. What she was pushing, she didn't know. `Get out!' her mind exclaimed. Pushing and pushing. She tried to use all her strength and will to push him out of her mind.

Suddenly, another memory flashed, one that Hermione had no recollection of. A small boy with a rather large nose and greasy hair was sitting in corner, crying while two adults-parents perhaps-fought and argued. Fast forward, the same boy was being taunted by a pair of boys with dark hair, who had him levitated in the air, hanging upside down. Another flash and a man knelt at the feet of a tall and thin pale-skinned man, with slits for nostrils and deep red eyes.

Hermione found herself being hurled back. She gasped for air as her wide eyes met her professor's equally surprised ones. Hermione knew exactly who those memories belonged to. She must have done something to reverse the spell and allowed her to peek into Snape's mind. Chills ran down her spine. It was difficult to see how someone who-by the looks of it-had been bullied and even cried as a young boy could be the very same man who bullied his own students maliciously. Even more bone-chilling was the last memory. Hermione knew exactly what it was. Snape was a Death Eater?

"I don't remember suggesting a Shield Charm." He said, his voice deathly soft, "However it did prove to be somewhat effective."

Hermione was utterly terrified. She could tell he was very angry.

"I'm sorry, Professor." She apologized. "I didn't mean to-"

He interrupted her, ignoring her words completely. "Let's try again, shall we?" He asked, then, without warning, Hermione felt her mind being attacked again.

This time, it felt like an unstoppable force-an unstoppable painful force. No matter how much she pushed and willed herself to get him out of her head, it didn't seem to have any effect. She drove herself, the grip her wand tightening painfully as she mentally begged for it to stop.

Harry and her ice skating. Her being banished from her original dormitory. Harry apologizing for his behavior. Dumbledore speaking to her in Hogsmeade. A Quidditch game. Girls teasing her relentlessly during Christmas break. Harry's lips crashing onto hers.

Then she blacked out.

Hermione was awoken by jets of water shooting at her face. She was laying on the floor of the Dungeons, with her professor standing over her, his expression unreadable. Angry red marks inflamed his cheek.

"What happened?" She asked, dazed.

"You produced a strong Stinging Hex." He said, not bothering to ask if she was okay nor help her up.

Hermione looked down at the floor.

"You let me get in too far." He sneered, walking behind his desk and taking a seat.

"I'm trying." Hermione said as tears threatened to spill over.

Snape's expression didn't soften. The red welts contrasted noticeably against his skin. "You are not trying hard enough." He said angrily.

Tears stung at her eyes even more. "I am!" She declared, getting angry.

"You are not!" He fired back, standing up.

"I am! I've been progressing and you know it. Just because you've been bullied your whole life, doesn't mean you have to bully everyone else!" She spat angrily as all fear left her briefly. As soon as she said this, she gasp and clasped her hand over her mouth, as if that would cover up her words.

Snape's cold black eyes didn't flicker at her words. He didn't move, only drilled her eyes with a harsh stare.

Hermione's fear suddenly came back to her, flooding her body and immobilizing her. For a few minutes, Hermione just cowered under Snape's glare.

"That will be all for this evening. Get out." Snape ordered softly.

Hermione tried to move, but her feet seemed rooted to the spot.

"I said, get out." Snape repeated, his voice more persistent.

"I'm sorry." Hermione began to apologize, stepping closer as she found her voice.

"GET OUT!" He demanded once more, this time the floor flew open and off its hinges angrily.

Hermione grabbed her wand and ran out the door without looking back.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Hermione found solace in a deserted corridor. She sat on the cold stone floor, slumped up against the wall. What had she done? Whatever it was, she knew nothing good could come of it. Would he stop teaching her now? What would Dumbledore say?

Despite the situation, Hermione couldn't help but feel better about her ability. She had definitely made some progress. Perhaps a little too much. In all honesty, she didn't see how it was such a big deal. He had attacked her mind dozens of times. So what if she reversed it? With a sigh of defeat, Hermione found a more comfortable position and closed her eyes with her head up against the wall. She felt tired, as she always did after her lessons. It drained her energy.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

I guess there's no use
I'm screwing up every little thing I ever try to do
I'm born to lose
yeah yeah yeah yeah
god must hate me
cursed me fo eternity
god must hate me
maybe you should pray for me
I'm breaking down and you can't save me
I'm stuck in hell and I wanna go home

"God Must Hate Me" SIMPLE PLAN

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-


Harry glanced at his watch. Hermione should be back by now. It was very late and the Common Room was empty. Finally, he picked up the small duffle bag he held in his lap and pulled out his Maurder's Map and Invisibility Cloak. After scanning carefully, he found Hermione's dot in a corridor, unmoving. He quickly darted out the Portrait Hole, worried.

With the worst in mind, Harry rushed through the Castle. He knew he was being noisy, but he figured he could use the excuse of being Head Boy and was still merely making his rounds. Fortunately, he didn't meet anyone, and finally skidded to a halt to the corridor Hermione was in. With the tip of his wand lit, he quickly searched for her. He found his friend slumped up against the wall, and felt suddenly sick. However, upon closer inspection, he realized she was peacefully sleeping with a serene smile on her face.

His worry instantly vanished. He watched her for a few moments before sitting in front of her and easing her awake.

"Hermione? Wake up!" He whispered, shaking her.


Hermione jerked awake, eyes squinted.

"Harry? What's going on?" She asked, sitting up and taking in her surroundings.

Harry furrowed his brow. "I dunno. Did you get tired and decide to take a nap?" Harry joked.

Hermione shrugged. "I-I guess. I was doing my lessons with Snape, and somehow, I accidently broke into his mind and saw his memories. They were slightly embarrassing. He was very angry and kicked me out. I stopped here to sort out what had happened, and well…I was pretty tired." She said through a grin.

Harry smiled. "I was getting worried, so I looked you up," he said, pointing to his map.

Hermione smiled. "What time is it?" She asked, looking at her watch.

"Late. Past midnight." Harry answered. He stood and reached out a hand. "Shall we?"

As they started down the corridor, Hermione made to go one way, but noticed Harry was headed the other.

"Harry?" She asked quizzically.

He winked and ushered for her to follow. In silence, the duo walked to the Entrance Hall. Hermione noticed the duffle bag Harry was carrying and knew what was going on.

"Now?" Hermione asked, looking at her watch again. "You want to fly now?"

Harry only shushed her and unlocked the doors before easing them open. He handed Hermione the hoodie of his that she had come accustom to wearing before the pair of them trudged out into the snow. Harry led them to a secluded area, and suddenly a large sleigh came into view, drawn by two breathtaking unicorns. The sleigh was a deep red, with small bells lining the sides.

Hermione gasped, causing Harry's already-large grin to widen even farther.

"Great Wizards!" She exclaimed joyfully.

Harry grabbed her hand and pulled her closer. "Well come on then!" He urged. Hermione quickly followed and was blown away by how white the unicorns were. They made the fresh fallen snow look dingy; she never knew a color so pure ever even existed.

Harry helped her up into the sleigh before climbing in himself. He opened his bag and pulled out a flannel blanket, a large thermos full of chocolate, and a small bag of chocolate chip cookies. Once they were settled in, Harry reached for the reins and gave a small tug, causing the unicorns to pull them forward.

Hermione's head was spinning. This was so surprising. "This is absolutely wonderful!" Hermione gushed in disbelief.

Harry could only grin. "Well, I figured I could maybe ease you into the broom ride." He answered before pulling a miniature version of his Firebolt from the bag and enlarging it to full size and placing it beside them.

"Have you ever seen a unicorn before?" Harry asked, taking a bite of a cookie.

Hermione shook her head. "They're so…breathtaking!"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, there's nothing more pure. Completely magical."

As they slowly made their way across the grounds, Harry began to hum. "Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring-ting-tingling-too. Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you." He said, half-laughing.

Hermione giggled. "Giddy yap, giddy yap, giddy yap, let's go, let's go at the show.
We're riding in a wonderland of snow. Giddy yap, giddy yap, giddy yap, it's grand, just holding your hand. We're gliding along with a song of a wintry fairy land
." She sang back, bobbing her head back and forth.

"Our cheeks are nice and rosy, and comfy cozy are we. We're snuggled up together like two birds of a feather would be." Harry sang, wrapping his arm around her and snuggling her close to him.

Hermione opened her mouth to start singing, but couldn't think of any other lines from the song. "And…er…I dunno." She said, laughing.

They continued their ride in a comfortable silence, before Harry finally tugged the reins once more, causing the unicorns to come to a halt. He stood and hopped from the sleigh and offered Hermione a hand.

"Alright, I know you're a little scared, but it's okay. I'm a great flyer." Harry assured her, levitating his Firebolt.

Hermione nodded as she felt fear creep into her stomach. "Have you ever had any other passengers?" She asked, slightly out of nervousness, slightly out of curiosity. Or could it have been jealousy?

Harry shook his head. "No, you'll be my first. But my dad used to take me on broom rides when I was too little to ride one myself. It won't be too hard." He insisted.

Hermione wasn't sure if this caused her to be even more scared or relieved.

"Alright, do you want to ride in front of me, or behind me?" Harry asked, lifting one leg over the broom. After one look at Hermione terrified face, his smile faltered some. "Hermione," he said softly, "If you really don't want to do this, then we don't have to. I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

I had no choice but to hear you
You stated your case time and again
I thought about it

You treat me like I'm a princess
I'm not used to liking that
You ask how my day was

You've already won me over in spite of me
And don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet
Don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are
I couldn't help it
It's all your fault

"Head Over Feet" ALANIS MORISSETTE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Hermione shook her head. No, she promised him a broom ride. She tried to conceal her fear as she through all-or at least some-caution to the wind and hopped on behind him. She pulled up close behind him and rested her hands on his waist. Harry grabbed then and readjusted them so they wrapped around his midsection. "We'll need to be close." He said. "Ready?" He felt more than heard Hermione's confirmation as she nodded into his back.

Harry softly kicked off the ground, going slowly. He made a slow, lazy circle.

"We're going to die!" He heard Hermione's muffled voice say.

He laughed. "Hermione, look down. We're less than five feet from the ground."

"Oh."

"Alright, I'm going to go a little higher. You should look." He insisted as he brought the broom a few feet higher, careful not to scare her.

Hermione slowly pulled her face away from his back and looked around. They were pretty high up by now, maybe fifty feet. Harry was going slow, just circling the grounds.

"Are you okay?" He called back to her.

"I'm fine!" She replied, smiling. "This is fun!"

Harry laughed and sped up some. He felt Hermione's grip tighten to a death grip.

"Not that much fun!" She shrieked.

Harry slowed them slightly.

Hermione was scared of heights. And the thought of a tiny broomstick between her legs being the only thing holding her up sixty feet from the ground was terrifying. But somehow, after the first ten minutes, she felt almost safe. She had seen quite a few Quidditch games. And practices. She knew what Harry could do on a broom. And she knew he wasn't going to let anything happen to her. So instead, she tried to push all fear from her body, and enjoy this small present from him. Or from her, rather.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Let me be your wings
Let me be your only love
Let me take you far beyond the stars
Let me be your wings
Let me lift you high above
Everything we're dreaming of will soon be ours
Anything that you desire
Anything at all
Everyday I'll take you higher
And I'll never let you fall

"Let Me Be Your Wings" THUMBELINA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

She didn't know how long they had been up there, but once the wind became too cold for them, they finally made a graceful landing near the sleigh. They went for once last small ride, until they were near the Forbidden Forest. Harry halted them. "I'm going to go ahead and let the unicorns go." He told her. "Do you want to pet them first?" He asked.

Hermione did. After a few minutes of appreciating the beauties, Harry released them. Then he shrunk the sleigh to a miniature size that fit in the palm of his hand, which he put in his pocket.

"I know I said the ticket was only for one ride, but how about I fly you up to your dorm?" Harry asked.

They flew up to Hermione's window, which she easily opened, and they slowly climbed in. Hermione lit a few candles, allowing them to see. Harry retrieved the sleigh from his pocket and handed it to Hermione. "Just a little something to remember it."

Hermione took the small sleigh and looked up at Harry. "Thank you." She breathed, beaming.

Harry smiled softly at her. "Thank you, for letting me. Maybe we can go on another ride some time. Surely it wasn't as terrifying as you thought?" He asked.

Hermione nodded. "I'd like that. It wasn't so bad."

"I told you so."

"Did not."

Harry rolled his eyes in a very Hermione-like fashion. "Whaaatevver."

Hermione laughed as a silence settled between them. Suddenly, Hermione was very aware of the fact that Harry was here, in her room. And very close. And was looking at her, smiling.

She cleared her throat and took a small uncomfortable step back. She looked at her watch. "We should probably be getting to bed soon." She said, refusing to meet his eye.

"Yeah. Um…I'll see you tomorrow then." Harry said indifferently, walking to the window.

Hermione suddenly felt terrible. Was she kicking him out? Just because she felt uncomfortable? "Wait!" She said quickly, rushing over to the window before Harry could leave. "Er…I just wanted to say thanks again. This was truly wonderful." Hermione insisted.

Harry smiled. "No problem. It was fun." He replied, hopping on his broom.

"Er…" She looked down at her watch again, "You know, we don't have classes tomorrow. If you want, you don't have to go just yet. We could talk for awhile, maybe study." She joked before quickly saying, "I'm kidding. Um…unless you don't want to, or if you're too tired. I understand." She finished lamely as the awkwardness settled in her stomach.

Harry shrugged. "Whatever you want to do. If you're not tired, I suppose I could stay for a few more minutes. I'm not really all that tired." He confessed.

Hermione smiled. "Alright, let me just," She lit a few more candles so her room had more lighting. "Um, just let me," she grabbed some clothes and motioned to the restroom.

Harry sat down on Hermione's bed awkwardly as he waited. He then stood and sat down on the floor. He shouldn't get too comfortable. He noticed a desk and chair, so he got up and sat down on the chair.

Hermione returned to the room, wearing a pair of navy sweatpants and Harry's hoodie. "I hope you don't mind." She said, looking down at his sweatshirt.

"Not at all." He said, pulling the chair around to face her.

Hermione went over to the window and shut it then sat on the windowsill. Harry pulled the chair over to join her.

Awkwardness ensued. Neither spoke. Neither knew what to say. "I noticed the picture from Christmas." Harry said, nodding towards her bedside table.

Hermione felt herself blush for some reason. "Oh. Yeah…I thought it was a good one so I hope you don't mind…"

Harry shook his head quickly. "Not at all. I'd like a copy as well. It's a good picture. That whole night was amazing."

Ice breaker. Suddenly, the conversation began to flow, starting with the Christmas party and the topics only stemmed from there. The unknown awkwardness vanished as familiar territory and conversation were found. The stony exterior of the windowsill along with a cold draft caused them to eventually move over and each sit on Hermione's bed, with each of their backs up against the wall.

They chatted and ate all the snacks they could find. Hermione pulled out her camera and showed him all the pictures from Christmas break, including ones she and her cousin had taken. This inspired them to take a few goofy ones in the present. As they talked well into the wee hours of the morning, drowsiness finally took over and they fell asleep in Hermione's bed.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Take time to realize,
That your warmth is

Crashing down on in.
Take time to realize,
That I am on your side
Didn't I, Didn't I tell you.

But I can't spell it out for you,
No it's never gonna be that simple
No I can't spell it out for you

If you just realize what I just realized,
Then we'd be perfect for each other
And will never find another
Just realize what I just realized
We'd never have to wonder if
We missed out on each other now.

"Realize" COLBIE CAILLAT

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Speaking of drowsy…I'm tired. Gotta get up in 5 hours to work out, then go to work. Ugh. Not fun. Maybe I'll skip the work out. Haha. Doubt it though. So even though I have an early morning, I wrote this for you guys and posted it because I know I won't get to it tomorrow. So with that (guilt) in mind…please tell me what you think! I don't feel like this chapter really went anywhere, but that's okay sometimes. It should at least prove to be an interesting morning. I'm sorry for any grammatical errors. I didn't have time to proof read.

Anyway, I hope you liked. Until next time (I'm shooting for before the end of March for the next post), enjoy my other stories and…just be good. Haha.

Archie

-->