Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry

lillyfan16

I am so excited about this chapter. Um…just read and I just had a birthday (the big 2-0!) so as a birthday present for me, REVIEW!!! Thanks!

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: Hogsmeade

I've been a bad, bad girl for so long
I don't know how to change what went wrong
Daddy's little girl when he went away
What did it teach me? That love leaves

Dear, dear diary, I want to tell my secrets
Cuz you're the only one that I know who'll keep
them
Dear, dear diary, I want to tell my secrets
I know you'll keep them, so this is what I've
done

I've been down every road you could go
I made some bad choices as you know
Seems I've got this whole world cradled in my hands
But it
's just like me not to understand (yeah)

"Dear Diary" PINK

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

"What's wrong, Ginny? The truth hurt much?" She asked.

Still trembling from her toes to the tip of her raised wand as rage and shame coursed through her, Ginny fumed and finally slumped to the ground as sobs shook through her small body.

Satisfied that Ginny was ready to open up, Hermione went and sat Indian-style in front of her. She slipped Ginny's wand from her limp grasp and set it aside.

"What's wrong?" She asked directly. Ginny could only shrug in response. She opened her mouth to speak, but a strangled cry was the only sound she could make.

Hermione decided she would have to take a softer approach. Despite how gratifying it was to see someone who had tormented her go to pieces-especially when she was always so proud and confident-Hermione still held compassion for those who suffered. Clearly, Ginny was suffering.

"Ginny," She said gently, pushing a hair from the girl's face. "I need you to tell me what's wrong."

Suddenly, Ginny jerked away and gave a hollow laugh. "You would never understand." She insisted miserably.

With a determined look in her brown eyes, Hermione replied, "Try me."

Ginny stared at Hermione through teary eyes, with a look of disbelief and confusion. "You wouldn't understand." She repeated with gritted teeth.

Hermione remained silent, waiting.

Ginny pushed Hermione away from her. "You wouldn't!" She insisted.

Still, Hermione only gazed at the girl, not speaking.

Ginny's eyes narrowed. "Tell me, Granger, what do your parents do for a living?" She asked suddenly, rounding on Hermione dangerously.

Hermione furrowed her brow with confusion. "Er…what?" She asked.

Ginny stood and walked over to the sinks and splashed cold water on her face. Hermione stood as well and offered her a towel. "I saw the Daily Prophet. For Muggles, there certainly seemed to be a lot of expensive decorations. Your dress didn't look too cheap either. By the looks of it, your family isn't struggling. Now, a simple question: What do your parents do for a living?"

Still not entirely sure what she was going with this, though she had a nagging suspicion it had something to do with the Weasley family's financial issues. Finally, she responded slowly, "They're both dentists."

Ginny nodded almost knowingly. "Dentists-a rather high-paying career. And how many siblings do you have?" She pressed on.

"I'm an only child." Hermione replied without emotion.

The younger Gryffindor didn't look surprised. "Well-off family. No siblings. Probably never stepped foot into a second-hand shop. Must have been difficult." Ginny said sarcastically.

Hermione began with, "Well, I can understand that it must have been difficult to grow up with a bunch of brothers with a…" She chose her next words carefully, "With a limited monetary supply."

"Limited monetary supply?" Ginny repeated with a nasty laugh. "You don't have any idea what it's like." She snarled.

"At least you had siblings to interact with. And you have, what, six older brothers? To watch over you? Protect you?" Hermione pointed out.

Ginny scoffed. "You would see that. You would see me as an ungrateful brat. But you don't know the truth of it. You couldn't understand the sibling rivalry, the tight budget, the hand-me-downs…" She trailed off.

"Well," Hermione said evenly, "Let's sit and you can explain this to me." Hermione sat back down on the cold stone floor and motioned for a reluctant Ginny to do the same. After a few silent seconds, Ginny finally gave in and sat down.

"So what's the problem? What won't I understand?" Hermione inquired casually.

Ginny shrugged. "You have anything you could want, it seems. When I was growing up…" She looked away, almost in-what-shame?

"When you were growing up?" Hermione prodded.

"We had very little money. Even with magic…Well, it didn't make a damn bit of difference. The Burrow even leaned to one side, and barely looked like a house at all. I'm the youngest, which means a lot of the clothes I had had been in the family for years-patched and altered-and even boy's clothes at that. Any dresses I had used to be my Mum's, and were too big. I rarely got anything new." Ginny mused sadly.

"Must have been difficult." Hermione put in unhelpfully.

Ginny nodded. "Everything from clothes to books to toys-all second-hand. Then there was overshadowing. Two of my brothers have been made Head Boy. The other four were successful on the house Quidditch team. Fred and George were class clowns and loved by everyone-eventually even started the best joke shop around. Money isn't a problem for either of them anymore.

"Percy always followed the rules." She continued. "In my Mum's eyes, he could do no wrong. He even did excellent on in O.W.L.S. and N.E.W.T.S. Even Bill and Charlie were successful for Merlin's sake!" Ginny cried out bitterly before rounding on Hermione's own friend. "And finally, there's Ron. Well, somehow through all his mistakes and being a total prat, even he manages to charm Mum and Dad. It helps that he's best mates with Harry Potter-with my parents being friends with his parents. `Aw, the two of them are inseparable-grew up together and have been best mates.'" Ginny mimicked her mother resentfully.

Hermione listened as Ginny vented vehemently. She could tell the young girl had issues with jealously and individualism.

"Which leaves me. I used to be Mummy's little girl, but somehow, as my brothers grew up and became successful and started families of their own…I wasn't the youngest. I may as well have been just another son."

"So this is what molded you into who you are today?" Hermione asked carefully, trying not to sound offensive. "You just rebelled against your family?"

"When I came to Hogwarts, well, I was…made fun of, a lot. People joked nastily about how shabby my clothes were, and teased me about sometimes wearing boy clothes-though I resorted to that only when I absolutely had to. It was difficult. It got to me. I wanted the girlie clothes, and be…well, feminine. I didn't want to be a tomboy. I wanted the boys' attention. But in the rags I had to wear…I was lucky to have a skirt for the school uniform. Somewhere along the line, I grew up. I got curves. I noticed boys noticing me when I wore a shirt that was from last year and a bit tight." Ginny confessed with a look that was half-mischievous, half disgusted. "Then I got my first real boyfriend. He was two years above me. I don't need to tell you what was on a seventeen year old boy's mind." Ginny said with a cold laugh before coming to a halt in her story.

"I take it you two…" Hermione trailed off, unsure of how to finish that sentence.

"Had sex?" Ginny quipped shrewdly as Hermione shrugged. "I didn't want to. Everything was so new to me and he was so experienced. But he pressured me, told me if I loved him, I'd let him love me back. I had to show him. So I did. I knew it was wrong, but for the first time I felt in control-though I clearly wasn't. He was. He'd buy me things so I felt like I owed it to him. Then I caught him with another girl. I was brokenhearted. But…I realized I had a few things that I had been wanting. He had gotten me some cute clothes to wear, to pay for the sex, almost. So when the next bloke came along…well, you can imagine. It didn't take long for me to learn how to be good. How to make a man want me. I'd use them, and they'd use me. My family didn't approve of my `promiscuity'," Ginny revealed, using air quotation marks. "But my family wasn't there for me like these boys were. They didn't listen to me, and looked at me like I was just another child, or just another sibling. These boys…they saw me as a sexy woman. A lover."

"But you didn't want them? Not really?" Hermione asked, trying to piece together what she was saying because she was contradicting herself half the time.

Ginny made an impatient noise. "I dunno! At first, I wanted a boyfriend. Not for the sex, but just…for the acceptance. The love. But that didn't turn out the way it was supposed to. I mean," She shivered, "He all but raped me to have sex, you know? I didn't really want to, but I did just because he kept pressuring me. I was too young. Then, our relationship became more of a business deal. When he cheated, yes, I was hurt real bad. But truth be told, it didn't last. I realized how disgusting he was. But…he got what he wanted, and so did I. So I got over it. I moved on. Bloke Number Two came along. Didn't last long. I learned a little more from each bloke. I'm not saying I didn't want any of them-Merlin knows I did. I'm just saying...that I dunno what I'm trying to say, I guess. I turned into this person who I loved and hated. Sometimes I felt proud, sometimes I felt disgusted. I even went out with Neville Longbottom once, just because I knew he wasn't looking for sex. But then Darren-my ex at the time-wanted me and I went to him, just like I always do. Blew Longbottom off." Ginny saw wistfully. "He wasn't even that bad of a bloke, you know? Might have been good for me."

Hermione nodded. Clearly, Ginny didn't know what was going on in her life, or what she even wanted. It seemed like she used these guys just as much as they used her. However, it also appeared that she was disgusted with herself, and wanted a way out.

A few minutes of silence passed as the two girls sat there on the floor, pondering. Hermione noticed Ginny had started to silently sob. Feeling completely disconnected to the girl even more, Hermione could only watch with sympathy. This girl hadn't been the nicest to her, but Hermione couldn't blame her. She was confused, and lost. She just needed help. Her life had turned her that way.

Trying to sound comforting, Hermione slowly said, "Well, maybe you can try to change then. You obviously aren't happy with your life. You don't need a guy at the moment. Just restart." She offered.

Ginny shook her head. "There's more."

Hermione raised her head, waiting.

Ginny's eyes were cast downward. "I think I might be pregnant."

Hermione gasped. "Are you sure?" She asked. This girl was only sixteen!

Ginny shrugged. "I missed my period. Maybe. I dunno. I have an irregular period and well…it's been too long. And there have been a few times in the last few months where I think I could have gotten pregnant." The young girl confessed guiltily.

Hermione bit her lip, blown away. "Well, I suppose the best thing to do is find out for sure. Have you gone to Madam Pomfrey?" She asked.

Ginny shook her head. "I'm too scared. I'm too embarrassed to ask. I'm too scared for find out for sure."

"Ginny, ignoring a baby isn't going to make it go away. You need to find out. I'm sure Madam Pomfrey has a test of some sort. Muggles have them. I'm sure we have something here." Hermione insisted in a partial panic. She was not ready to get into something like this. At all.

Ginny's sobs only worsened. "I can't do this. Finding out will make it real."

"It's real either way, Ginny Weasley!" Hermione half screamed, getting angry. She could understand Ginny's reaction. Stupid girl. She shouldn't be having sex if she can't handle the consequences.

"This is why you should keep your legs closed!" Hermione hissed.

Ginny could only slump against the wall in remorse.

Realizing she was losing her temper, Hermione suddenly withdrew and calmed herself. Cooling off and regaining her lost composure, Hermione began again. "It is very important that you find out as soon as possible. Go to Madam Pomfrey." Hermione mentored.

Ginny shook her head once more in shame. "If my family found out…" She gave a sharp, cold laugh. "Actually, I don't know if they would be surprised or not."

Hermione sighed. Why did she have to be the one who stumbled in here? Why was she even caring? Because it's the right thing to do. She's Ron's sister. And she herself holds compassion for people. Compassion, she reminded herself.

As she internally battled what was easy and what was right, Hermione found words coming from her mouth that she hadn't even had the chance to process, "I'll go talk to Madam Pomfrey and ask about getting a test of some sort. And if they don't have one, I'll get a Muggle one…somehow."

Ginny looked up miserably. "Why are you helping me?" She asked, befuddled.

Hermione shrugged. "I'm asking myself the same. Just…I dunno. Gain some composure or something. I'll go see about it sometime today and meet up with you later. Please tell me you know who the potential father is?" Hermione asked earnestly.

Standing, Ginny gave a nod. Relieved, Hermione headed for the door. "Oh, and Gr-Hermione?" Ginny called, causing Hermione to halt. "Can you keep this private? Especially from Ron? And Harry?"

"Your secret is safe." Hermione confirmed before walking out. Hermione briskly walked through the corridors and found herself outside the Hospital Wing. She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. Oh why did she have compassion for people?

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

You got up out of bed
You said you had a lot of work to do
But I heard the rest in my head
And almost immediately I felt sorry
Cause I didn't think this would happen again
No matter what I could do or say
Just that I didn't think this would happen again
With or without my best intentions

And I want a boyfriend
I want a boyfriend
I want all that stupid old shit like letters and sodas
Letters and sodas

"Fuck And Run" Liz Phair

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

Feeling self-conscious, Hermione walked to Madam Pomfrey's office and gave a few quick taps on the door, which swung open. Hermione walked in to see the school's Healer sitting her office, pouring over some files.

She looked up at Hermione expectantly, "Yes?"

Unsure of how to go about asking, Hermione figured being direct was the best way. "I have a question, Madam Pomfrey." She said, and the Healer gestured the empty chair in front of her in response.

"I have a friend, well, I suppose it would be more of an acquaintance perhaps-doesn't matter-" Hermione was getting off subject, "A girl who thinks she might possibly be…pregnant. I know Muggles have pee tests or something, and I suppose I was wondering if you had…something…so she could find out for sure?" Hermione asked uncomfortably.

Madam Pomfrey half-glared at Hermione with narrowing beady eyes in an almost accusing way. "A friend?" She asked, suspicious.

"More of an acquaintance." Hermione corrected. "In all honesty, I can't stand the girl. But I found her crying and she told me her life story-and to make an even longer story short-she things some bloke may have gotten her pregnant. She's too ashamed to come in here herself, and well, let's just say I've been damning my compassion for people ever since I started walking over here." Hermione said with a smile, hoping her joking nature would win the woman over or at least save her from the third degree. After all, it wasn't her promiscuity in question.

The Healer sighed. "When did this student think she had become pregnant? Recently?" She asked.

Hermione shrugged. "Um…she might have said something about the last few months. I'm not sure. Does that matter?"

"If the intercourse had occurred while at Hogwarts-something rather disrespectful if you ask me-then she is not pregnant. Let's just say precautions have been in place for many hundreds of years against such things. Wards are up so no student can get impregnated while on Hogwarts ground. However, it does not protect them once they go home for the summer holidays. So if it has been recently, then no, she is not pregnant. Otherwise, she is six months pregnant and she would know for sure." Madam Pomfrey told Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "I see. Well, I'm doubting she is six months pregnant. This should be good news. However, I would not like to divulge this information to her-for purposes of keeping her from having unprotected sex even more-so is there any sort of fake test I can get? Just to scare her a bit? She's certainly too young to handle this." Hermione asked.

The Healer almost cracked a smile before standing and going over to some drawers. She pulled out a standard Muggle pregnancy test and handed the box to Hermione. "You're a sharp one."

Hermione smiled. "Thank you, and," Gesturing towards the EPT in her hand, "Thank you." And with that, Hermione easily slipped the small box in her robes and headed towards the Gryffindor Common Room.

Harry was the first to greet her in the Common Room. "About bloody time!" He said. "Is everything okay?" He asked, concerned.

Hermione smiled. "Everything is fine. Sorry I took so long."

"What was wrong?" Draco asked lazily, thumbing through a magazine.

"Um, just feminine issues, that's all." Hermione said, scanning the room for the redhead.

"Did some girl need help getting her knickers off?" He asked with a smirk, turning the page. "That could have been hot."

Hermione threw a pillow at him.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

Ginny didn't manage to corner Hermione until dinner came around. While walking down the corridor, she came up and asked Hermione if she could have a word. Ignoring the looks both girls had gotten from the blokes, Hermione shooed them down the corridor and led Ginny to the nearest loo.

"I hope you have to pee." She said, opening the box and handing Ginny the stick, which Ginny stared at blankly. "Go pee on the stick." Hermione instructed.

"What?" Ginny asked, confused.

"Oh just go piss on it already!"

A few awkward minutes later, Ginny emerged from the stall with a dripping stick. She offered it to Hermione.

"Well I'm not holding it." Hermione said with a laugh. "Now we wait three minutes. If a minus sign pops up, you're negative. If it's a plus, then…well, start knitting baby booties."

Ginny nodded.

"I can't believe I got myself in this mess." Ginny cried dropping her face in her hands.

"Well, perhaps you should be a little more careful. Why are you putting yourself through this anyway? Find a good bloke and stick with it. Or just don't find one at all." Hermione advised.

Ginny shrugged. "No good guys are attracted to me. I need…I need a bloke like Harry or something. I know he would make a great boyfriend."

Hermione could almost imagine the steam coming from her ears. "Harry?" She echoed.

Ginny nodded. "Yeah, he's a great guy. And I know he wouldn't try to use me for sex."

Hermione toyed with the idea of letting Ginny know that she and Harry just so happened to be going to a date on Valentine's Day. "Hm, well maybe there's some other guy. What about Neville? You said you went out with him once?" She asked, trying to steer Ginny's desires away from her best friend.

"Maybe." Ginny said with a sigh.

"How about you ask him to Hogsmeade on Valentine's Day?" Hermione asked, getting an idea.

Ginny scoffed. "Right."

Hermione chose her words carefully, trying to be mysterious, but not like she was trying to make something of it. "Well…Harry and I are going on a double date with Ron and Luna on Valentine's Day…perhaps if you wanted to make it a triple date, we may be able to arrange that. I know we are going to meet up at the Three Broomsticks for drinks, and then maybe hang out a bit but then going our separate ways so…" Hermione trailed off.

Ginny eyes slightly widened. "Oh. You are going with Harry?" She asked.

Hermione nodded.

"Lucky. I wasn't trying to some on to him a minute ago by the way…I just meant a guy like Harry, that's all. I doubt Neville will want to go out with me after I blew him off last time." Ginny said wistfully.

Relieved, Hermione smiled brightly. "I'll talk to him. Anyway, it should be time now. What's the verdict?"

Ginny picked the stick up and glanced down. For a moment, her face was unreadable before she broke into a grin. "Talk about lucky!" She said, smiling widely. "Negative!"

Hermione smiled and acted surprised. "Well, looks like you get a second chance. If you want me to talk to Neville, I will. But if I do, and you shit on him…we'll we will have issues because he is a good bloke." Hermione warned.

Ginny nodded. "I won't, I promise. I…I want to turn a new leaf, Hermione, I really do. I hate who I've become. I've done nothing but bring shame to my family. My brothers can barely look at me. I really want to change. I know I've been a bit of a…" Ginny trailed off, searching for the right word.

"Slaggly bitch." Hermione put in.

Ginny reddened but realized she had that shot coming. "A slaggly bitch, but I really am sorry. You've helped me more today than any of my other friends had in years. Can we be friends?" Ginny asked gingerly, throwing the EPT away.

Hermione crossed her arms. "If you can get your act together, I'm sure we can be good friends. Just prove it."

Ginny nodded as she straightened her short skirt.

"But if we're going to be friends..." Hermione waved her wand, causing Ginny's revealing clothes to alter themselves. Her jean skirt suddenly lengthened to a pair a jeans, and her tight top loosened and covered her cleavage as the sleeves grew to her wrists. Hermione smiled at her handy work as Ginny stood in front of her in a long-sleeved, loose shirt and a pair of jeans. "Put some clothes on girl, it's the middle of February." Ginny tugged at her clothes a gently before giving her a smile. Hermione couldn't help but laugh as Ginny suddenly looked two years younger.

The two wordlessly made their way to the Great Hall and Ginny followed Hermione towards Harry, Ron, and Draco.

"Hi. Miss me?" Hermione greeted them.

Harry smiled, "Of course we-" His voice faltered as he caught sight of Ginny sitting down on the other side of Hermione. "Did." He finished, puzzled.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I bet. Pass the potatoes please, Ronald?" Hermione asked, trying to act as casual as she could.

The three boys looked from each other to their newcomer. "Hi Ginny." Harry greeted as he felt Hermione kicked him from under the table. After another two kicks, Ginny got a greeting from Ron and Draco.

"Ginny." Draco said with a nod.

"Hey there, little sister." Ron said, nursing his shin.

"Hi guys." Ginny greeted back.

"I'll be right back." Hermione said before standing and wandering over the empty seat next to Neville.

"What's she doing?" Harry asked as she watching Hermione smile and laugh with Neville Longbottom.

Ginny couldn't help but smile at Harry's concern. "Talking to Neville." She said unhelpfully.

Harry gave a tight smile. "I can see that much, thanks."

A few minutes later, Hermione returned. "Neville is very excited for you date, Ginny."

Ginny smiled. "Really? Even after last time?"

Hermione nodded as she turned to Harry. "Hi." She said softly with a smile.

Harry grinned back. "Hey you." He half-whispered.

"Ginny and Neville will be joining us at Hogsmeade. I hope that's okay?" Hermione announced to Harry and Ron, who both nodded in agreement.

"About time you date someone worth something." Ron chimed in.

"I could say the same for you." Ginny shot back.

"Touché, little sister, touché."

00000000000

Later that night, Harry and Hermione managed to get a few minutes alone. Hermione knew from his curious looks he wanted to know what in the bloody hell was going on. They sat out on the Quidditch Pitch, enjoying the cold air on their flustered faces from yet another broom ride.

"Now would you mind telling me what's this is all about? Ginny? Really?" He asked, setting down his broomstick.

"She isn't so bad. She's just been…misunderstood." Hermione said with a shrug.

"Misunderstood? She's treated her family like shit. And you. Now, suddenly you're going off with her and bringing her to dinner with us? And then inviting her on our date?" Harry asked uneasily. "She's bad news."

Hermione laughed. "Calm down. She's not contaminated."

"She might be!" He insisted.

Hermione smiled at his antics. "We talked and let's just say she's ready to turn a new leaf. Can we leave it at that, and just play nice?" Hermione asked.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

She was so adored by everyone
When it came to looks she was next to none
But loved partying and having too much fun
Then she hooked up with the wrong someone
And he promised everything under the sun
And it seems to me
She's a causality of all the pressure
That he put on her
And now we've lost her for good
It's such a shame shame shame
That our homecoming queen
Was a lot like you and a lot like me
And she never walked on water
Cause no one really saw her
It's such a shame shame shame
That our homecoming queen
Had a lot to prove and so many to please
She's just somebody's daughter
Just looking for somebody to love her

"Homecoming Queen" HINDER

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

Harry sighed dramatically. "Fine."

"Our date? You certainly seem to get all defensive about someone intruding." She said with a grin.

"Well, it's important that we are there for Ron, you know. Can't let a best mate down." He said, standing and offering her his hand.

"Technically," She said, taking his offered hand and letting him spin her around in the snow as if began to fall heavily. "Ron needed someone in his corner to be there. Who better than his own blood? With Ginny and Neville there, I don't think we have any more obligated duties and aren't needed." She pointed out.

Harry smiled and pulled her close, their fingers intertwined. "I think we better go, just for good measure."

"I just think you want to go on a date with me, Harry James Potter." Hermione openly flirted, surprising even herself.

"Oh really? Someone's got a big head." Harry teased.

"Or someone is just speaking the truth."

Harry bent down and picked Hermione up and carried her over to a large pile of snow before dropping her in it. "Mmmm hmmm." He responded, throwing a snowball at her.

Hermione shielded herself and lay down in the snow, and made a snow angel. Harry laid down so his feet were against hers.

"Let's do the bicycle!" She shrieked happily.

Harry laughed and sat up on his elbows. "The what?"

Hermione initiated the old childhood game. "My cousin and I used to do it all the time." She said as they began to play the game. Their coordination was off and they were having trouble, especially with the stiffness the cold caused, but it was fun nonetheless.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

I gotta get to you cause you sure been gettin' to me
Gotta find a way to get to your heart to sweep you off your feet
I'll wrap you up, in my love, cover you with kisses so sweet
I gotta get to you cause you sure been gettin' to me

I'll win you over, over and over again
I'm gettin closer, closer than I ever been

"Gotta Get To You" GEORGE STRAIT

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

Hermione stared at her mirror. She was in a towel and had just gotten out of the shower. She wondered vaguely why both Ginny and Luna had invited themselves into her room to get ready for this date of theirs. Why did they all have to get ready together anyhow? Whether she liked it or not, both girls were going to show up any minute to do hair and makeup and clothes and, well, probably anything else they can think up. Hermione could understand where they were coming from. They were going on a real date. Her and Harry were just going for the others. She was excited, but still, didn't feel the need to put in this much effort.

This last week had gone by rather quickly. Ginny had proved to be a decent friend, and Hermione almost enjoyed her company. The boys were still getting used to this new Ginny Weasley, which Ginny could sense and often left once the boys joined them.

She suddenly heard a light tapping sound, and looked over to see Hedwig at her window. She rushed over to open it and let the owl in. It was carrying a small parcel with an envelope that had her name on it in Harry's handwriting. She opened the envelope and pulled out a piece of heart-shaped parchment: Be my Valentine? Love, Harry P.S. Will you go on a date with me for real? Hermione smiled and unwrapped the long parcel and pulled out a bright red rose. Her smile widened as she laid both gifts on her bedside table.

He wanted to go on a date for real? Before she let herself go into over-analyze mode, she opened her drawer and pulled out a card she had made for Harry. She tore a piece of paper from a notebook and quickly scrawled her answer before sending it off with Hedwig.

Excitement began to take hold as she looked from her bedside table to herself in the mirror once more. She was already processing different outfits and how she could wear her hair.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

I've been awake for a while now
You've got me feelin' like a child now
'Cause every time I see your bubbly face
I get the tinglies in a silly place

They start in my toes
Makes me crinkle my nose
Wherever it goes
I always know
That you make me smile
Please stay for a while now
Just take your time
Wherever you go

The rain is falling on my window pane
But we are hiding in a safer place
Under covers staying safe and warm
You give me feelings that I adore

"Bubbly" Colbie Calliat

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

Harry, Ron, and Draco were all sitting at the table in the Great Hall and noticed a large part of the female population missing. "Wow, what a day, huh?" Ron said, shaking his head. "It's Valentine's Day and suddenly every girl goes even more nutters than before."

Harry and Draco shrugged. As the morning post flew down from above, Harry spotted Hedwig flying towards him with a letter that read his name. He smiled and offered the owl a piece of bacon while he opened the envelope, which housed a card made by Hermione. He smiled read the card a few times before standing.

"Where are you going?" Ron asked with a mouthful of food.

Harry twirled around and gave a grin. "I've got a date."

Ron quickly shoveled in a few more bites, stood, and started after him before turning and putting a few biscuits in his pockets and turning back around. He turned back around once more and grabbed one more biscuit. "Actually, you know what, I better just-" He began to load his plate with everything in sight before grabbing that and running out of the Great Hall. "Wait up! I've got a date too!" He yelled Harry. "Oh shit, I forgot a fork." He muttered.

0000000000000000000000000

Harry couldn't explain it. He felt a certain way about Hermione. Did he like her? He didn't know. He did know he loved spending time with her. And when he was looking for that rose and charming it so it would never fade or die, something came over him. He was writing the note, and before he knew it, the postscript was there and the letter was gone. And now he was here in his dormitory, fretting over what to wear and if he needed to shave.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

Neither Luna nor Ginny proved to be very good about helping with getting ready. Luna's style was too far out there, and Ginny's…well Hermione was doing some altering of hers already.

"You aren't wearing that." Hermione said bossily, throwing yet another outfit of Ginny's back down on her bed.

Ginny sighed. "Well what would you have me wear?"

Soon, Hermione's room was cluttered with outfits and makeup. They were laughing and trying crazy outfits on. Hermione had her camera out, and was reminded of the time during Christmas break with Jenna. Jenna would know exactly what to wear.

Finally, after what felt like hours though was only a little over one, the girls were all ready. Luna had settled on a long Bohemian style skirt with a white long-sleeved shirt with an orange shirt over it and flip-flops. When Hermione point out there was snow on the ground, the girl didn't seem the least bit phased as she put on her famous radish earrings and necklace made from butterbeer caps. Hermione finally found an appropriate outfit in Ginny collection: a jean skirt with black leggings underneath and a nice sweater and trainers. As for herself, as Hermione looked in the mirror, she saw that she had one a pair on simple jeans, a gray shirt with a pink zip-up jacket. Ginny had let her borrow her hoop earrings. Hermione looked at her reflection. She looked nice, she decided.

As the girls stood in the mirror to look at themselves, Hermione stowed away and went over to her bedside table where Harry note lay. She read it again and couldn't help but smile.

This was going to be interesting.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

Nervousness crept into both Harry and Hermione's stomachs as the six of them met in the Gryffindor Common Room. Both Neville and Ron had flowers for each other their dates. Harry gave Hermione a paper flower he had made, causing Hermione to laugh. "You can't ever just be traditional, can you?" She teased.

"Tell me when to stop, and I'll be as traditional as you want me to." Harry greeted back.

Hermione shrugged. "Your oddness is rather endearing." Suddenly, her face grew serious. "Did you really mean what you said in your note?"

"About making this a real date?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded.

"Did you really mean what you replied back with in your card?" He fired back.

"About me saying I'd love to?"

It was Harry's turn to nod.

"I want to if you want to." Hermione admitted.

Harry smiled and held out his hand out for her to take.

Their little exchange didn't go unnoticed. Ron and Draco both shared a knowing look. Even Luna, Ginny, and Neville noticed something change.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

I packed a cooler and a change of clothes
Let's jump in, see how far it goes
You got my heart in your daddy's boat
We've got all night to make it float

We could sit on the shore
We could just be friends
Or we could jump in

The whole world could change in a minute
Just one kiss could stop it spinning
We could think it through
But I don't want to, if you don't want to

We could keep things just the same
Leave here the way we came
with nothing to lose
But I don't want to, if you don't want to

"Want To" SUGARLAND

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

As the eight of them made their way to Hogsmeade, all the teens laughed loudly and spirits were high. For Harry, going to Hogsmeade was like visiting a fair or carnival that came into town once every year. It was all the same, but still, there was something new and exciting every time. Right now, with Hermione by his side and his hormones and emotions going delightfully mad, he couldn't ask to be in a better mood. Draco and Amanda left them once they made their way into the small town, leaving the six to figure out what to do.

Ron suggested they hit the Three Broomsticks, and so that was first on the list. Harry couldn't remember having more fun at Hogsmeade that what he was having right now, except perhaps when he had given Hermione a midnight tour. Ron was being as charming as ever, which wasn't necessary because it was already obvious Luna was head of heels for the redhead already. And if Harry wasn't mistaken, his friend was quite taken with the blonde Ravenclaw as well. As for Neville and Ginny, the two looked as if they were complete novices on a date, which, as Hermione pointed out, perhaps they were.

Surprisingly, there wasn't any awkward feelings between Harry and Hermione. They had both been worried that perhaps by calling this an official date, there would be an ocean between the two. But there wasn't. For once, Hermione put her mind out of control and instead just listened to her instincts. She was flirtatious and happy. She felt like a whole different person.

After spending an hour of so at the Three Broomsticks, Harry said something about taking off. He and Hermione wanted to go to Honeydukes, while Ron and Luna wanted to stop by the Zonko's to "check out the competition" as Ron put it.

Nervously, Ginny pulled Hermione aside. "You're leaving us!?" She hissed.

"Calm down, Ginny. What's wrong?" She asked.

"What if I mess this up? You're supposed to make sure I don't do that!" Ginny reminded her.

Hermione laughed. "Just have fun. Don't try to be too romantic or sexy or anything. You guys are just friends. Remember that. Just…get to know each other!" Hermione said before meeting Harry up at the cash register, where he was paying for their drinks.

"Here, let me get mine." Hermione said, pulling out her purse.

"You money is no good here." Harry assured her before offering her his arm and the two strolled out onto the street.

Shop after shop, place after place, the two went to see them all. Hermione bought Harry a shirt at Gladrags, and to return the favor, he bought Hermione her first quill (as she had refused to use them) from Scrivenshaft's Quill shop with ink that changed color as your wrote.

"Promise me you'll use this?" Harry asked before he bought it.

"Of course I will!" Hermione squealed.

"But you haven't used a quill all year." He countered.


Hermione took the quill from him and smiled. "This one has an everlasting flow of colorful ink. If I had one of these, I would have used one."

Harry laughed before paying for it.

The two stopped by Madam Puddifoots Tea Shop, where they caught Draco and Amanda snogging over a cup of tea. They laughed and took the mickey out of half of the customers in there until finally, Madam Puddifoot herself came over to their table and told them they were ruining the "vibe" of her establishment, and not-so-politely asked them to leave.

"Honestly, she likes to sit there and watch teens snog each other. If you ask me, the horny old lady needs to learn a thing or two about the `vibe' she is giving out." Harry snorted as they were all but pushed from the doors.

Minutes or perhaps even hours later-time seemed to fly by-the two could be found sitting in front of the Shrieking Shack before Harry asked if she wanted to head back to the Castle and perhaps watch the sunset by the lake.

The trip back to Hogwarts was a rather short one. The two were in a carriage and looked at all the pictures they had taken today. Pictures of the group from the pub, pictures from Gladrags and Zonko's Joke Shop. They had even taken secret pictures of Draco and Amanda, which may have been one of the ways they were ruining the "vibe" at Madam Puddifoots.

As they made their way to their tree under by the lake, they were silent.

Harry suddenly pulled a miniature broomstick from his pocket and charmed it to its full size.

Hermione laughed. "I think you're getting a little too comfortable with these broom rides, Harry Potter." Hermione said.

"Oh just get on, you know you want to." He shot back.

Hermione hopping in front. "I'm driving." And with that, they flew off.

A thought kept creeping into Hermione mind, though she pushed it away every time. Today had been absolutely perfect. She didn't want to ruin it. But every time she caught sight of the breathtaking sunset, she got an idea. Suddenly, before she could stop herself, she halted the broomstick in midair, right in front of the sunset.

Harry looked puzzled. "What are you doing?" He asked.

Hermione smiled mischievously. "I just thought this would be a nice backdrop for a picture." She responded innocently, pulling out her camera.

Before she could say what she was wanting to, what she had planned in her head to sound flirty and perfect, she chickened out and went ahead and took a regular picture of the two of them in front of the sunset. Afterwards, she still didn't move the broom.

"Hermione?" Harry asked slowly?

"Um, maybe we can take another picture." Hermione said, trying to sound flirty but for the first time that day, her cockiness eluded her.

Almost as if reading her mind, Harry leaned forward and cupped her face with one of his hands. After several seconds, he began to slowly lean even more into her until his lips were just above hers, giving her the chance to say no.

"Would it be too cliché for me to kiss you on Valentine's Day?" Harry asked, smiling.

Instead of replying, Hermione used one hand to keep her balance, while using the other snake itself around Harry neck and bridging the space between their lips. Her eyes flutter closed as did his. Her lips parted ever so slightly, inviting Harry to deepen the kiss.

She felt Harry take her camera from her hand and didn't need to open her eyes to know he was stealing her idea. A quick flash later confirmed it and she smiled into the kiss.

After a few seconds, they parted, dazed.

"Suddenly I don't feel like I have enough control over my head that I don't feel safe flying us around anymore." Hermione said, breathless.

Harry smiled and easily brought them to a landing at their tree. They both went over and sat against the tree in the snow and watched the remaining of the sunset, fingers intertwined.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0*0

I can't fight this feeling any longer.
And yet I'm still afraid to let it flow.
What started out as friendship,
Has grown stronger.
I only wish I had the strength to let it show.

I tell myself that I can't hold out forever.
I said there is no reason for my fear.
Cause I feel so secure when we're together.
You give my life direction,
You make everything so clear.

And even as I wander,
I'm keeping you in sight.
You're a candle in the window,
On a cold, dark winter's night.
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might.

And I can't fight this feeling anymore.
I've forgotten what I started fighting for.
It's time to bring this ship into the shore,
And throw away the oars, forever.

Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore.
I've forgotten what I started fighting for.
And if I have to crawl upon the floor,
Come crashing through your door,
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore.

My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you.
I've been running round in circles in my mind.
And it always seems that I'm following you, girl,
Cause you take me to the pla
ces,
That alone I'd never find.

"Can't Fight This Feeling" REO SPEEDWAGON

WOW! I can almost hear the rains of FINALL FINALLY FINALLY. HAHA. A lot to take in. Please review!!!! For my birthday last week!

I hope you liked it!

Thanks!

Until Next Time,

*~Archie~*

-->