Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry

lillyfan16

IMPORTANT: THE SONGS USED IN THIS FIC DO NOT BELONG TO ME, BUT SOME OF THEM I SAY HARRY AND HIS BAND WROTE, BUT OF COURSE, THEY ARE JUST SONGS BY BANDS WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE. I JUST DIDN'T FEEL LIKE WRITING A LOT OF SONGS (PLUS I SUCK AT IT). BECAUSE THEIR BAND IS JUST STARTING, THEY ALSO PLAY "MUGGLE SONGS" AS THEY CALL IT. I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW THE SINGERS AND ALL OF ALL THE SONGS PLAYED.

Disclaimer: I own nothing, and if I was JKR, I wouldn't have EVER come up with HBP and actually published it! Honestly, it would be so different and all…ok enough HBP bashing, I am still a bit steamed! I just glanced thru the book the other day, and within 30 seconds, I threw it at the wall…Hello, my name is Brooke, and I have anger management problems when thinking about HBP…I am not ashamed…lol

Recap!

'This must not be too hard for her,' Harry mused, as he watched her do the same task over and over flawlessly.

"Guess what you piece of filth, we don't like Mudbloods or Grangers, so you're just shit out of luck."

"You're sitting at our table," the redhead beside Harry informed her coolly.

'Hey, that's my table in Potions, so go near it again and I'll hex you into next Tuesday?

"It has nothing to do with the damn table! You don't belong here, so why don't you just take a hike back home?"

Hermione Granger, 17, has taken up post as a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, under the rule of Albus Dumbledore.

They were having a trip to the village next Friday

How do you guys feel about playing this weekend at the Three Broomsticks?

"Who do you think you are bitch? Do you think you can just butt in other people's business? Well, we're just going to have to show you what happens to nosy little motherfuckers like you!"

"Stay out of our business, of next time it will be far worse. Tell anyone about this, and you'll wish you were dead,"

"Maybe what some people are saying is right, maybe you did deserve getting your ass kicked, running that mouth of yours!"

ONWARD! AND ENJOY, PEOPLE!

Chapter 7: A Surprise In Hogsmeade

"Alright guys, I was thinking we could add these songs to our routine, so we'll have a mix of old and new. What do you think?" Harry looked at his friends expectantly, they were nodding, and Ron looked down at the list again.

"That's cool, we should also play this one, it's a lot of people's favs," He pointed to a song on the notebook paper that wasn't highlighted, and tried to act nonchalant, but Harry and Draco shared a knowing look.

Draco nodded, "Yeah, it's loads of people's favs, especially that little Ravenclaw, Mandy Brocklehurst's! Let's see, last time we played that song, she went over the fucking moon about it and told you how great you handle your bass, and how much she would like to play a few strings on your other guitar!" Harry and Draco started snickering while Ron turned beet red.

"God, get your mind out of the gutter, Malfoy! And don't even start in about me, if my memory serves me right, you played a solo for that Lisa Turpin chick. And you got what, a few snogs at the most?

Harry laughed and added, "Might I just say, you were horrible at it too! I don't think I've ever heard a worse version of "Screaming Infidelities." You really should stay away from Dashboard Confessional songs. Not to mention the fact the song had absolutely nothing to do with the little argument you two had and you weren't that cut up about it anyway!"

Draco just shrugged, "Hey guess what, it got me a lot more than just a few snogs, which is more than you can say, Potter. Not only are you still a virgin, but you never even kissed a chick before!" He said triumphantly, but Harry wasn't phased. He didn't mind when they tried to make fun of him because of his nonexistent history with the opposite sex.

"Unless," Ron's voice was full amusement and he had a glint in his eye, "Unless, you count him snogging Granger!"

Draco nodded and added, "Oh yeah, must've forgotten about your little rendezvous with Granger at the Ministry!

Harry shot them both a pierced look. They hadn't spoken of that incident much since it occurred, and he just tried to forget about it after he found out who she was.

Draco started talking in a higher pitch, recalling what Harry had said about Hermione after the day in the Ministry, " 'Well, she was…sorta cute… she is very pretty…she wasn't wearing much makeup, but her face looked beautiful…her beauty was more, I dunno, like it catches you by surprise and you can't help but wonder where they make them like that…' and loads of other things about her hair and eyes!" Draco finished with a smirk. Harry just blushed and looked away.

This time it was Ron's voice, "Granger is decent looking, but you made her sound like some super model or something! Sorry, but I mean, comparing her to eye candy like Mandy, she isn't even in the same area code!"

Harry's head shot up. "Not even in the same area code?" he said incredulously, looking at his friend like he was mad. "Dude, she may be a Granger and shit, but I think she looks ten times better than any girl here! All the girls here have to paint their faces on and flaunt themselves around so shallow guys like you two would take a look! At Least Hermione's got a brain and some dignity! And like I said, she isn't something you guys would stop and gawk at, but she's someone that I do notice. I dunno, it's just the way she holds herself confidently and-" He suddenly stopped, realizing who he was talking about. He swallowed hard, and looked away. With a deep breath he met his friends' surprised looks and said, gritting his teeth slightly, "Look, she's just a lot more than all those other girls, alright? Just…don't' worry about it, okay? She isn't anyone you guys would want, so just leave her alone and no harm done. Trust me, getting her bad side isn't very pretty," Harry warned, remember the scene in the library.

"And what do you know about getting on her bad side?" Ron asked, accusingly; Draco gave him a pointed look, wanting to know as well. Harry sighed and told them vaguely what had happened.

"Why in the Hell were you even asking?" Draco looked at Harry as if he was mad, Ron nodding in agreement.

"I-I dunno why I even bothered alright? I told you guys, it was a Head Boy obligation, nothing more. And what do I get for my kindness? A nice, bitchy 'Mind your own business and fuck off, Potter.'" Harry imitated Hermione's voice, still seething. He still couldn't believe the way she had acted. Sure, maybe he should've handled that better, but she wasn't exactly helping him out any.

Harry noticed the look his two friends shared. "What?" He asked, looking between them.

They just shrugged.

"Nothing."

"No, you two shared a look!" Harry accused, "Like you guys know something I don't." His eyes narrowed.

"Harry, it's nothing. Just can't believe she would act so bitchy to a kind gesture. Maybe she doesn't know how to accept kindness, and only knows how to be spiteful and shit," Draco replied, with a shrug.

"Well, at least people aren't lying when they call her "Granger Bitch." The Keyword bitch, meaning "spiteful woman" and they say people in Hogwarts judge too quickly," Ron threw in off-handedly, shaking his head in mock disappointment.

Harry still gazed between the two off them, not believing a word, but he decided not to push anything. "Whatever, I'm gonna go find Jeremy and see if he's can play this weekend too; we could use another guitar," and with that, Harry left the Common Room and tried to find his friend.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione was getting ready for her trip into Hogsmeade, which was right after breakfast. She decided to dress in Muggle clothes: a simple pair of blue jean capris and a gray and red top. She quickly pulled her hair back into a ponytail before making her way down to the Great hall.

Hermione smiled as she followed the other students to the village. She was so excited. The sun was bright and the weather was nice, a perfect day for an outing around Hogsmeade. As she made her way down the stone path, Hermione tried to fight off the twinge of jealously she felt when seeing other students laughing and talking carelessly with their best friends. She kept her eyes focused on the winding path and increased her speed.

Hermione knew everyone thought she was a loser because she didn't have any friends. But she didn't want to become friends with anyone at this school anyway, she told herself. Most people here were self-centered and cruel. Hermione was better off without them. Even after telling herself this many times, she still wished for a friend.

She didn't need to think about that right now though. Hermione was determined to have a great time, and musing about things that made her feel slightly sick to her stomach wasn't the way to go about it. Instead, she mentally went over her homework and listened as the birds chirped in the background. Hermione could smell the hint of Fall in the air as September was fading into October.

Hermione was beginning to wonder if they were getting any closer when they rounded the corner of the stone wall and a wrought iron gate was just ahead of them, with the words HOGSMEADE in calligraphy. The gate was open in welcome and Hermione could see people walking down the streets doing their daily shopping and whatnot. Thrill flooded through her as they passed the entrance gate.

Hermione tried to take in everything at once but soon realized that was impossible. Little shops lined the main street; other roads branched off into little paths with cottages lining each side. Hermione smiled involuntarily as her eyes took in the small village. It was obvious there was something special about this town. Hermione watched a mother of two, who was looking slightly agitated at her children who were watching as the Hogwarts students began breaking off into groups as they made their way further into the village.

The mother finally reached her limit as one of her little children tore after a group of Third Year Ravenclaws and with a wave her of wand, both children were restrained with small leashes around their wrists and the mother pulled them in the other direction.

Hermione watched them disappear in the crowd before continuing further into Hogsmeade. She ventured into a few shops. She came upon a shop filled with students, it was called Honeydukes. Hermione's eyes widened as she finally was able to push herself into the small store. Shelves lined the walls full of different sweets. There were barrels and barrels overflowing with treats and candy. Students were pushing and shoving passed each other and Hermione watched with fascination was one of the staff members pulled out a lollypop that was red in front of a bunch of Third Years and then put it in her mouth for a second. Taking it back out, Hermione's jaw hit the floor when she saw a hole in the woman's tongue.

"Acid Pops!" She heard the woman say proudly, and watched as the astonished Third Years grabbing handfuls of the lollypop. Her eyes wandered over the rest of the shop and her smile slowly slid off her face when she thought about the expressions on her parents' faces if they found her at such a sweet shop. Her parents leaned more towards sugarless candies because of their profession, so Hermione rarely ate a whole lot of candy. With a small sigh, Hermione replaced the frown with a small grin and explored the shop before she chose a few sweets from the shelves and barrels and waited in line to pay for them.

Once she paid for her candy, Hermione made her way outside to the fresh air and started down the street.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry looked around Zonko's and watched a group of timid Third Years fall for the same tricks the owner pulled on all the new students every year. He shifted his bag full of Zonko's merchandise in his other hand so he could see his wristwatch. It was twenty after two. They told Madam Rosmerta they would be at the Three Broomsticks around three; that would give them about three hours to hang around the village before they had to play.

So far, the trio had spent most of their time at Honeydukes and Zonko's. They were going to go get some ice cream and hang out around the Shrieking Shack for a while next. Harry called over to Ron, who was talking to the store owner about some new product they should come out with, "Hey mate, we're going to be by the Shrieking Shack, meet us there when you're done, okay?" And with that, Harry and Draco left the joke shop.

They made their way to an ice cream stand, discussing their upcoming gig. It had been awhile since they played at the Three Broomsticks, so they were both pretty excited about it. They decided to use a mixture of Muggle songs and some of their own.

Once they reached the Shrieking Shake, Harry and Draco settled themselves on a large boulder near the barb-wire fence that kept obnoxious teenagers from going into the shack and vandalizing the inside. Harry's eyes wondered over it's features, taking in the familiar aspects of the old mysterious cottage. He and his friends knew of it's truth. Harry gave a wiry grin as he thought about how the Shrieking Shack had gotten it's haunted reputation.

Harry's father, James Potter, along with three of his other friends had been quite the troublemakers in their days at Hogwarts. Remus Lupin, a close friend of his father's, had been bitten by a werewolf in his youth, and when there was a full moon, the nurse would use a secret passage under the Whomping Willow which led to an underground tunnel to the Shrieking Shack. Once he was alone inside, he would transform. This precaution was to ensure the students' safety because having humans around a werewolf was very dangerous. The screams and shrieks heard by the villagers were Remus while he was in his were wolf state while inside the shack.

Once James, Sirius, and Peter had found out about their friend's transformation, they had become unregistered Anamagi. James could transform at will in a stag, Sirius into a large, black dog, and Peter into a small, rat. If in their animal form, a werewolf was no danger at all. And so, in the nights of a full moon, four friends would roam Hogwarts and Hogsmeade in their animal appearances. They had discovered so many secrets and hidden passage ways, the four friends had written an ingenious map, which they liked to call the Marauder's Map. It would tell where anyone on Hogwarts grounds were at any given moment and how to reveal secret passages. Being one of the Marauder's son, Harry had been given this spectacular map by his father in his Third Year as a birthday present. Harry also had his father's old invisibility cloak, which came in handy which sneaking around the castle at night, which was a habit for him, Ron, and Draco.

Harry's eyes roamed over the broken-down wooden fence that went around the small perimeter of the yard and then the earthy walk-way that led up to the cracked, stone steps. There were holes in the floor of the porch, with the broken, splintered wood sticking up in odd angles. From afar the windows just look black and grimy, but once you were up close, which Harry had been a few times, you could see the years of dirt caked dry onto the glass, and it was futile to try and take a peek inside, unless you looked through one of the many broken windows. Paint chipped off the wooden planks that made up the walls. The rain had slightly warped the unprotected wood, giving the shack an unnatural shape. What was once a deep, rich brown had now been chipped into a dull, faded gray. The door hung on unstable hinges and was slanted off to the left slightly. To enter the house, one would have a time jerking the door open because of the vines that had attacked the house and blocked the entry way. Forgotten shingles lay scatter through the unkempt, parched grass. What was once a brick chimney lay leaning to the right with many bricks missing because of the disintegrating mortar.

Harry was broken from his musings by his best friend's suddenly standing up as someone approached the two boys. A Ravenclaw Sixth Year waved to them and gave Draco a friendly hug. "Draco! It's so good to see you! How was your summer? Good I hope," she said, twirling a strand of her dishwater blonde hair around one of her fingers, smiling flirtatiously. Harry glanced up at his friend, who had a smirk on his face.

"Hey Tina, my summer wasn't too bad, yours?" Draco replied smoothly, tossing the rest of his ice cream cone in the nearest rubbish bin.

"Mine was super! We went to Paris, and I modeled for a portrait! It was so amazing!" Her voice was perky and Harry found it very annoying when she kept fluttering her eyelashes. "Remember that night in the Astronomy Tower last year?" She asked, eyeing him coyly.

Draco just grinned and said smoothly, "Of course I do, who could forget such a night of infinite pleasures?" Then he reached out and ran the back of his hand down the side of Tina's smooth cheek.

The Ravenclaw retuned his large grin and tried to say off-handedly, "Yeah, it was a really great night, we should do it again sometime. But you promised me you would owl me a few times during the summer…" She pouted prettily, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

Draco raised and eyebrow and tried to put on a sorrowful expression, "I did say that, didn't I. Well, I meant to, seriously Tina, I did, but we were just so busy. You can ask Harry here, me, him, and Ron all got a job at a Muggle pizzeria in Harry's town for most of the summer. And then once we had to quit, you know how hectic the end of the summer holidays are, with getting our school things and all. We were pretty busy, but believe me baby, I really wanted to owl you." It was his turn to pout while running his finger down the side of her cheek, and he could tell Tina was fighting a grin. "And besides, I'm almost glad we didn't talk during the summer, because it makes seeing you now just that much sweeter…"

He finished, a sincere smile gracing his lips. The girl was putty in his hands.

Harry just rolled his eyes and tried not to laugh. 'Too busy my ass!' he thought and turned around so Tina wouldn't see the small smirk his was sporting. They had worked at Joe's Pizzeria over the summer, like they did the summer before last, but Draco still had plenty of time to owl her. Draco always had about three or four girls stinging along after him. Harry heard the Ravenclaw giggle.

"We're playing at the Three Broomsticks tonight, you fancying watching us?" Draco asked, wrapping his arm around her.

"That sounds great! But…what do you say we take a little walk and relive some of those "infinite pleasures" you were talking about before you guys have to play?" Once again, that coy expression followed by a lot of giggling. Harry looked up in time to see his best friend smirk.

"I can't think of a better way to get me ready for the show." and after a quick goodbye to Harry, Draco started off down the hill leading towards the road with Tina, leaving a snickering Harry behind.

When Harry could finally contain his laughter, he finished up the last bit of his ice cream before standing up and finding a tree to sit under while waiting for his other best friend. He took to watching everyone on the busy street at the bottom of the hill.

While gazing down at the crowded street, he saw someone that looked vaguely familiar. It was an older woman making her way through the throng of students, obviously looking for someone. He tried to place where he had seen her, but came up blank. With a shrug, he just found a more comfortable position and closed his eyes, enjoying the shade the large oak tree was providing.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione continued her wandering through the village with a sense of awe. She had never been to a Wizarding community or anything of the such, so she was amazed by the magic. Everything was so new to her and her curious mind was in overdrive trying to take it all in. After the mess at school, it felt so relaxing to be outside with the warm sunlight shining down on you, relieving all the stress and filling you in a carefree mood. Everyone was so busy with their own enjoyment, they didn't even seem to notice her, which was a great relief.

Hermione found herself in front of a building. With closer inspection and realizing what it was, Hermione felt a little giddy as she rushed into the bookstore. Inside, it looked much like a library, minus all the dust and not nearly as many books. Hermione skimmed the shelves, taking out random books and leafing through them.

Hermione was reading a rather long passage in a book about early Astronomy records and such, when she heard a familiar amused voice behind her, "Astronomy, huh? I myself fancied reading more along the lines of Transfiguration."

Hermione jumped from shock and quickly spun around to see the person who had disturbed her reading. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. Standing before Hermione was her mentor, Clarence. Hermione completely forgot about the large leather-bound book in her hands and let it slip from her limb fingers, before engulfing Clarence in a tight hug, which Clarence returned just as eagerly.

"Oh my God! What are you doing here. Clarence? Oh my God! What….?" Hermione finally let go and took a deep breath, trying to regain the composure she had lost. She had one of the largest and most genuine smiles she had for a while stretched across her face.

Clarence nodded in understanding of Hermione shock, and had a rather large grin of her own, "Hey stranger, fancy meeting you here!"

"What are you doing here?" Hermione asked again, excitement evident in her voice.

Clarence just smiled warmly, "Well, I owled Albus, asking when the next Hogsmeade trip was, and I thought I'd surprise you!" then with a small smirk, she continued, "So, how about me giving you a tour of Hogsmeade.?" and she held out an outstretched arm.

Hermione just smiled back, linked arms with the older woman, and replied, "I would love to." With that, the two made their way out of the book shop.

Clarence really did know the village well; she proved to be a fantastic guide. Hermione was amazed at some of the things she had overlooked. Clarence also provided some means of history for each shop they went to. Hermione had a blast listening to stories of Clarence's days at Hogwarts.

After exploring the village, the duo decided to go to the Three Broomsticks for a butterbeer, which was something Hermione was eager to try.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry looked around at his "band." They were about to walk onto the small stage Madam Rosmerta had in her pub. He mentally went over the songs they were about to play.

"You guys ready?" Harry asked his friends, while picking up his guitar and pulling the strap over his head so it rested on his shoulder.

"Let's play!" Ron said, mimicking Harry's actions by picking up his bass. Draco slipped two drumsticks in his back pocket and Jeremy grabbed his own guitar. Then, the foursome made their way to the stage. Since they couldn't use electric in the magical atmosphere for speakers and mics, they charmed their instruments and voices to sound louder than usual, but not blaring so everyone would be uncomfortable with the loud noise. After all, this was still just a pub that people went to so they could hang out.

There was a nice sized crowd surrounding the stage, all either sitting at tables or leaning against the walls. Harry picked out Madam Rosmerta and gave her a smile. They all got into their places and looked out at the audience. Harry felt a rush looking at the many faces that had all their attention on them. Usually, Harry hated any attention given to him, like when a teacher made a big deal about Harry knowing an answer that no one else knew, but right here, Harry couldn't help but just grin. The only other time he felt like this was on the Quidditch Pitch. "Hey everybody, for those of you that know us, we're Flipside. And for those of you that don't…well, we're still Flipside." There were a few laughs. Harry just nodded and then continued, "So, everyone doing alright? Enjoying our time away from school?" There was a loud murmur of "yeahs" and a few people hooted. "Good then," Harry said, grinning, "I say let's just start the music and jam!" There was loud hoots again, followed by applause.

"Ok, this one is own of our own. It's called Hero." Harry glanced back at his band to ensure that everyone was ready, then gave a nod. Draco started on the drums, making a fast beat before everyone else joined in all at once. Harry started singing in a soft, slow voice, "I am so high…I can hear heaven….. I am so high… I can hear heaven. Oh but heaven, no heaven don't hear me." Harry's singing grew louder, as did their playing. "And they say that a hero can save us. I'm not gonna stand here and wait. I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles. Watch as we all fly away."

Their playing softened again, as they started the verse. "Someone told me love will ALL save us… But how can that be, look what love gave us. A world full of killing, and blood-spilling. That world never came." They increased the volume and their energy for the chorus again. "And they say that a hero can save us. I'm not gonna stand here and wait. I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles. Watch as we all fly away." Then they increased their volume even more for a short instrumental, with Draco hitting the drums every few seconds, and the guitarists stomping one of their feet with the rhythm as they grew louder.

All the band members suddenly stopped except Harry, as he softly strummed his guitar and sang slowly and quietly, "Now that the world isn't ending, its love that I'm sending to you. It isn't the love of a hero, and that's why I fear it wont do." They rest of the band suddenly picked up again and the chorus came next, "And they say that a hero can save us. I'm not gonna stand here and wait. I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles. Watch as we all fly away."

Harry sang, "And they're watching us"

And Ron repeated after him, "Watching Us"

Again, Harry said, "And they're watching us"

With Ron once again repeating, "Watching Us"

Harry then continued, "As we all fly away…yeahaahh...ooouuhh"

They repeated the ending twice more, before slowly fading out. The crowd broke out in applause at their finish, and the band members all flashed grins to the crowd. They were just warming up.

"Alright, thank you guys. How about another one?" The crowd roared with approval. "Looks like we have no choice!" Harry's voice brought silence to the crowd; everyone was ready for another song. "Well, unfortunately, we cannot take credit for the next one. It's a Muggle song, some of you may know, some of you won't, but it's really good. I'm sure everyone here can relate to this at some point in their life. Just a little teen angst," Harry said with a slight chuckle. "It's by Simple Plan, and the song is, I'm Just A Kid."

Harry started playing his guitar, while the rest of the band members waited for their cue. Harry sang along with the guitar part, "I woke up it was seven… I waited 'til eleven, just to figure out that no one would call…I think I've got a lot of friends, but I don't hear from them…What's another night all alone…When you're spending every day on your own…And here it goes!"

Suddenly, the solo was broken when the rest of the band kicked in, loud and hard as they all started singing the chorus. "I'm just a kid, and life is a nightmare! I'm just a kid…I know that it's not fair Nobody cares, cause I'm alone and the world is having more fun than me!" They slowed down again, playing softly as Harry sang the next verse.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hermione and Clarence walked into the Three Broomsticks, and the first thing Hermione noticed was the music. It wasn't too loud, but was definitely noticeable. Hermione searched the pub for the reason for this sound, and her eyes landed on him. Potter and a few of his friends were on a small stage, playing on Muggle instruments. Hermione raised her eyebrows slightly. She knew Harry played the guitar, she had seen him playing it in the Common Room or outside under a tree. She had never really heard him because he never played loud enough for everyone to hear him. But now he and his friends were playing loud and all the attention in the pub was focused on them.

Hermione recognized the song from a Muggle punk band. Hermione felt someone nudge her from behind and then remember Clarence was just behind her and she was blocking her way. She mumbled a quick apology and made her way into the inn.

The two of them found a small table to the left of the stage. Clarence went up to the counter to get them both drinks, leaving Hermione alone at the table. She looked around the pub, taking everything in. There were several tables and booths placed throughout the place. There was a long bar where people could order their drinks. Hermione once again looked at the stage where her fellow classmates where playing. She listened to the words of the song they were singing and couldn't help but let out a sigh at their truth.

"and here it goes!" Harry, Ron, and Jeremy all jumped at the same time with the rhythm, and the music grew louder for the chorus, "I'm just a kid, and life is a nightmare! I'm just a kid…I know that it's not fair Nobody cares, cause I'm alone and the world is having more fun than me!" Hermione could see Clarence making her way back to them as the band sang on, "What the fuck is wrong with me? Don't fit in with anybody…How did this happen to me?…Wide awake I'm bored & I can't fall asleep…"Their voices softened again, "And every night is the worst night ever…"

"Here you go, hun. Try this, and you will love it!" Clarence's voice broke into Hermione concentration on the band, making her look up at the older woman. She just sat down two mugs, full to the rim of butterbeer. Hermione gave her a smile before taking the on she was offered. She took a small sip of the warm liquid and closed her eyes to the heavenly taste. It was sweet and had a cider taste to it. She took a second larger sip before setting the steaming mug back down.

"You're right! It is delicious!" she said eagerly over the music. Clarence nodded her head in acknowledgement and took a mouthful herself.

"I ordered us a sandwich and some chips as well. I hope you're hungry." Clarence's voice was cheery and careless, which was something Hermione needed right now. The two of them had danced around the subject about how Hermione was doing. Hermione didn't want to bring it up because of the humiliation, and Clarence didn't want to think about what she had gone through. So they waited in an awkward silence for their food, which was brought out only minutes later.

"So…how have you been?" Clarence's voice was even, and she glanced over at Hermione, who kept her eyes on her plate to avoid eye contact.

Hermione tried to disguise the pain in her voice, "Me? Oh, I've been fine. This is all really great! The student and teachers are nice, and all the learning is fun…I'm really glad I'm here…" she finished with fake cheerfulness. She didn't want Clarence's pity. Today was suppose to be fun.

Clarence gave a sigh then asked more urgently, "Hermione, how are you really? I know this is hard on you. And I know how hard it is for you to tell me because of the proud and determined person you are. But I am here to help you through this, Hermione. And I can't help you unless you tell me what you're feeling, honey," her voice was reassuring and caring.

Hermione bit her lip and felt slightly nervous. She hadn't voiced out loud to someone just how much she was getting hurt in this school. She hadn't told anyone about how she cried herself to sleep almost every night. But now she had someone she trusted and could spill her soul to right here in front of her.

It was Hermione's turn to sigh. "Things have been…difficult, Clarence. No you seems to like me very well, which isn't really a shock. I mean, I knew what I was getting into. And everyone seems to come up with something new to use against me all the time, whether it be my hair, my reading habits, me being a Granger…it hasn't been easy. Not that long ago, some Slytherins roughed me up because I stopped them from hazing a couple Second Years." Hermione felt tears start for form at the corner of her eyes as she relived the school year so far.

Clarence nodded in understanding, then glanced up towards the stage, where Potter was, singing with his band mates. Timidly, she asked the question that had been plaguing her for some time now, "And, how are things with…him?" she asked, looking towards the stage once more. Hermione didn't have to follow her gaze to know who she was talking about.

Hermione gave another sigh and closed her eyes, as if it might make this nightmare just disappear. When she opened her eyes, everything was still there. The band was still playing loud music and Clarence was looking at her expectantly. Hermione didn't even know where to begin. She decided to take it from the top, "Well, after I had been sorted, he was throwing me all these glares all through dinner. I didn't understand until they acknowledged him as Head Boy. We kinda had a stare off right there in the Great Hall. Then, the next day, I guess I sat at His Table in Potions, so he told me to move. Of course, I wasn't going to budge. Well, finally, the Potions Master told him to find a seat and took away house points. Then, later on that day, he came up to me to say that was his table, and I better clear off; he even told me to go home! After I had gotten physically hazed by those Slytherins, he came up to me in the Library, and said it was a Head Boy obligation to see if I was alright. I told him to quit the act and just leave me alone. I didn't need his mocking. Then he had the nerve to tell me that I probably deserved to get my ass kicked, running this mouth of mine!"

Hermione felt the tears start to form again, but she tried to hide it. Looking back up at the stage, Hermione felt a renewed loathing for her enemy.

Clarence looked disappointed to say the least. Closing her eyes, she shook her head softly before following Hermione's gaze to him. She felt such pity for the poor girl. But she knew that wasn't what Hermione needed nor wanted right now. She needed a friend, and that's what Clarence would be.

After a few minutes of silence while they munched away on their food, neither feeling as hungry as before, Clarence asked whether she had heard from her parents or not.

Hermione's eyes glazed over once more before she cleared her throat, "I wrote them on the train, explaining where I was going and why, and I didn't get a response. So earlier this week, I sent them another letter, asking them not to be angry with me and such. Telling them this is something I need to do…"

Hermione's voice was soft and her expression was faraway, as if it was all surreal to her. "They wrote back, telling me how disappointed they were and about how much trouble I will be in. They want me to come back home. They said that if I come back home now, then we will all just forget about this…" her expression suddenly turned urgent, and she looked at Clarence with big, brown teary eyes. They almost had a possess look to them. Clarence shifted slightly under their powerful intensity. "But I can't, Clarence. I'm too far into the game, if I turn back now, I'll be a coward. Then they will win! I can't let that happen! I can't!" Her voice was cracking, and Clarence saw something she never thought she would see: a broken Hermione Granger. Hermione was such a strong person, it tore at Clarence's heart to see her in such a state. But she also knew Hermione wasn't going to give up.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At times life is wicked

And I just can't see the light

A silver lining sometimes isn't enough

To make some wrongs seem right

Whatever life brings

I've been through everything

And now I'm on my knees again

But I know I must go on

Although I hurt I must be strong

Because inside I know

That many feel this way

Children don't stop dancing

Believe you can fly

Away…away

"Don't Stop Dancing" CREED

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry was doing a jig on the stage with Ron during the ending of the song they were playing. They were met with a thunderous applause from their audience. Harry grinned and he and Ron gave an extravagant bow.

"Right, so what's up guys? Everyone here been having some fun?!?!" Harry's voice rung out to the crowd, which just praised them even farther. "Alright, unfortunately, our time here is coming to a close." There was a sound of disapproval from the crowd, it was evident they didn't want to see the band leave. Harry gave a huge, fake sigh and said, "Yes, I know, it's tragic. BUT you all know Ron can't go too long without shoveling some sort of food substance in his face before he starts going through withdrawals, and we don't want anything rash to happen, now do we?" his words were met with roars of laughter from the crowd and a scowl from Ron. Harry snickered and looked around at the crowd. His chortles were cut short when his eyes saw her. He had seen her in here earlier, but not how she was now.

Granger was talking to that older woman he had saw earlier that day, which he recognized as the woman Granger had been with at the Ministry, in a very urgent manner. She had tears in her eyes, and even though Harry couldn't hear her pain-filled words, he knew how hurt she must have felt. Harry felt a pang in his heart while watching her. She looked so tired and worn. Harry gazed her way for a moment. Then, as if she had felt his eyes on her, she looked his way and met his sorrowful emerald orbs with her broken brown ones. He couldn't place the feeling that was inside him right now, but he felt such regret for all his cold words he had said to her. Swallowing hard, he tried to concentrate back on the show, but he couldn't forget the look on Hermione's face when she met his gaze.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Me…I'm rusted and weathered

Barely holding together

I'm covered with skin that peels

And it just won't heal

"Weathered" CREED

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Harry cleared his throat once more, "So, this is our last song," his voice was a little hoarse, and it wasn't only caused by the singing, "I am proudly able to say this is one of our own, and it's called "Silhouettes," and we hope you all enjoy it!" Swallowing once more, he searched her out in the crowd. She was looking his way, and he met her gaze, silently dedicating this song to her.

Harry started playing a slow rhythm solo to the silent crowd. This was a rather personal song to him. He had been torn between what his parents wanted of him, and what he wanted himself, so he sat down one day and wrote this song.

He had stayed up until three in the morning.

"Silhouettes above the cradle…hold me down…They won't let me go the wrong way…My mother taught me all the fables…told me how…In the end all the sinners have to pay But…" Jeremy's guitar joined in on Harry's solo, increasing the volume of the music.

"I don't wanna live like my mother…I don't wanna, let fear rule my life…And I don't wanna live like my father…I don't wanna, give up before I die," Harry closed his eyes for a few seconds, playing a tiny instrumental before hearing Ron and Draco join in with a slow rhythm, which was his cue for the next verse.

"He worked so hard his bones are breaking…He wore them down, but long ago he lost the feeling…His good intentions leave me shaking, show me how I don't ever want to end up like he did… And I don't wanna live like my mother…I don't wanna, let fear rule my life…And I don't wanna live like my father…I don't wanna, give up before I die," Harry's voice grew louder with they playing, his eyes fluttering shut once more before they softened once more.

"When I have kids…I won't put any chains on their wrists, I won't…..I'll tell them this…There's nothing in this world that you can't be if you want it enough…" Once again, they sound increased and Draco accentuated the drums for a second.

"I don't wanna live like my mother…I don't wanna, let fear rule my life…And I don't wanna live like my father…" Draco hit the drums particularly loud before a silence few for the shortest of seconds. Then they started playing again, "I don't wanna, give up before I die…" Harry's voice grew louder, so he was almost screaming, "I don't wanna live like my mother…I don't wanna, let fear rule my life…And I don't wanna live like my father…I don't wanna, give up before I die." They continued playing, each of the band members fading out until it was just Harry playing a similar solo to the beginning for a few seconds before coming to a stop as well.

They were met with a standing ovation, people cheering and hooting. Harry grinned at the crowd and lifted the strap of his guitar off his shoulder. He raised one fist in the air towards the crowd, and just before he cleared off the stage, he caught her looking his way, standing and applauding with the rest of the crowd, an unreadable expression on her face.

Alrightly then. So, what do you guys think? PLEASE review!!!

Musie Credits:

First Song Harry Played- song: Hero; Artist- Chad Kroger from Nickleback featuring Josey Scott from Saliva

Second Song Harry Played- song: I'm Just A Kid; Artist- Simple Plan

Thrid Song Harry Played- song: Silhouettes; Artist: Smile Empty Soul (I saw them at X-FEST 2 years ago! They rocked!)