Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Potter Vs. Granger Rivalry

lillyfan16

Why hello there, readers of my story! I got a new chapter done, and I thought I'd share it with you guys. I'm not even going to bother with getting into the whole "taken me ages" thing cause let's face it: we all knew it was going to, haha. But here it is! I actually really like this one!

Chapter Seventeen: Revelations

All of the strength Harry's hands had held suddenly vanished as he let go of Hermione, though he did not move from atop his friend.

Her soft meek voice echoed in his mind. He wasn't sure if he had heard her correctly. What? She killed them? His parents? Not possible.

Once his mind stopped reeling from this stunning revelation, Harry slowly climbed off his friend and shifted to a spot beside her now that her tantrum subsided and she no longer required to be held down. He glanced down and saw that her eyes were tightly shut and tears were flowing freely down her cheeks.

Finally, he managed to find his voice. "You what?!" Unfortunately, the voice he found was slightly higher than usual and shook slightly. He wasn't sure why. He knew his parents were perfectly fine. He had just received a letter from them. But Hermione's declaration and mad behavior together seemed to shake him up anyhow.

"Hermione?" He whispered, his voice still shaking. "Hermione, you have to tell me what you meant by-"

"I meant exactly what I said," she croaked, turning so he could no longer see her tear-streaked face.

His parents? How could she have killed Harry's parents? She had never seen them before, yet she had dreamed of their murder and easily recognized their photograph. It made no sense. How could she dream of real people she had never met? How could she recognize these people by name like this? She racked her brain. Not one scenario came to mind where Harry had told him his parents' names nor had he shown her their faces. Yet she knew them in her dream. How could she dream of people she never even knew existed?

And murder them in her dream.

The whole situation was frightening enough to make her quiver, even here in Harry's presence.

She was terrified.

Harry still couldn't understand. "Hermione…you didn't kill my parents. I just got a letter from them the other day. I don't understand…" He trailed off softly, his voice slow and unsure. For a fleeting moment, the trust he had put in his friend vanished.

Hermione's rage rapidly returned. "You don't understand, Harry? You don't understand?! Oh yes, I see how this could confuse you." Her voice began to rise and for a second, she could have sworn she saw fear flicker in those amazing emerald eyes of Harry's.

And she found satisfaction in it.

She continued, "I'm sorry if I'm making this confusing and difficult for you. It must be so much harder to deal with than nightmares, threats, killing, and everything else I go through. So I apologize for not making things easier for you when-oh how silly and inconsiderate of me-I was trying to sort things out in my own life!" With that, she stood and took a few paces closer towards the dormitory door.

Harry jumped off the bed and just stared, stunned. This girl was crazy. "What are you talking about, Hermione? Threats? Murders? How am I supposed to help if you don't tell me things?" He asked, raising his voice, hoping even a fight would stop her from walking out the door. She obviously had a whole other side, a side he knew nothing about. The side that journal entry must have been talking about. And she needed help before someone got hurt.

Hermione just stared at Harry. He had no idea. Not even the slightest clue. He looked so scared. Partially of her, partially for her, she realized. All her anger began to slowly disappear as she stood; still only staring. It was all too hard. She needed to tell someone everything. Not just bits and pieces anymore. She needed to let everything out. Everything.

Sweat began to seep from her forehead. When had the temperature in the room heightened? Her hand, which she suddenly realized was tightly clutching her wand, was quaking.

Her hand wasn't the only thing shaking. Her whole body was trembling slightly out of emotion, despite her attempts to remain calm.

Just tell him

Tell him. He deserves to know the truth. He deserves to know why his friend is such a psycho.

He needs to know.

He only wants to help.

If she told him, she knew he would help her through it, no matter what it took.

Which was exactly why she couldn't tell him. She had already put him through so much and dragged him through enough drama. He didn't deserve this.

"No."

Her voice was soft yet strong and defiant. It was hollow and seemed to echo through the silent room.

Before Harry could stop her, Hermione was already out the door and halfway down the stairs.

Harry stood there, dumbfounded for a second, before scrambling after her. He stopped before he made it down the first few stairs as he realized where she must be heading. He ran back up to his room for his Firebolt and Invisibility Cloak.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend
You could cut ties with all the lies that you've been living in
And if you do not want to see me again I would understand
I would understand
The angry boy a bit too insane
Icing over a secret pain
You know you don't belong
You're the first to fight
You're way too loud
You're the flash of light on a burial shroud
I know something's wrong

"Jumper"

THIRD EYE BLIND

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Hermione entered her empty dormitory, her mind reeling. Too much was going on. Everything seemed to be happening all at once, and there wasn't enough time to sort things out before more curve balls barreled towards her.

She wanted answers. But no one could give her any. How could someone possibly tell her why she had dreamed of killing Harry's parents, whom she had never even met? How could-

Hermione's thoughts abruptly stopped as her eyes landed on the drawer to her bedside table. It was open, and it was obvious someone had gone through it. Who-

Harry's Firebolt leaned against the wall.

"You really need to stop running away." A voice said. Harry suddenly made his presence known as he tossed his Invisibility Cloak aside, revealing himself.

Hermione was only slightly surprised, but not at all shocked. Nothing could shock her at the moment. She was already beyond shock.

Her voice was cold, "Funny, I don't remember this being your room."

Harry grinned, despite the situation. "Yeah, well, it's not like you've never came into my room uninvited."

Hermione glanced back at her table, where her things had been disturbed. She gave Harry a pointed look.

Harry shrugged. "So you have another free pass in my room and the option to rummage through my stuff." His voice grew serious. "We need to talk." He stated firmly.

"There's nothing to say." Hermione replied, waving her wand, adding more light to the room.

"Now I beg the differ. I think there is a lot to talk about here. And we can start with what you said back in my room. Tell me everything. I need to help you, Hermione." Harry said, stepping closer.

Hermione shook her head. "No," she whispered, and then repeated herself, louder this time. "No, I don't want you to get any more involved than you already are. You don't deserve-"

"Stop!" Harry suddenly interrupted, coming closer and grabbing Hermione's shoulders none too lightly. "Stop talking like that, okay?! I'm already involved. I already care about you, okay? I'm not just going to walk out of your life because things get tough. That's not what friends do. I realize you…you…I know you haven't had the best of luck with friends. I know you have trust issues with people, and I don't blame you. I know you feel guilty about involving me, but it's too late. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. And friends help each other out, right? Stop pushing me away. Please, tell what's going on. Tell me." Harry pleaded, before pulling her into a tight hug, trying to show her he wasn't going anywhere.

For a few minutes, the two teens stood there in the middle of the room, hugging. The display of emotion broke Hermione down. She really was ready to tell him everything. She was ready to confess her sins and repent. Be cleansed. Harry would be her savior on this night.

And maybe, just maybe, he will forgive her.

Once the tears were dried up and the two of them were comfortable, Hermione began to talk. She really wanted to share her burden.

"First, I want to apologize. I know I must have been, well, a right bitch to put up with and-"

Harry held up a hand, "There aren't any apologies needed. Just tell me what's been going on."

Hermione took a deep breath. "Okay, well…" now that she was here, Hermione had no idea where she even wanted to begin.

The nightmares seemed like a good place to start.

"I've been having these night…terrors. Almost nightly. I don't understand where they even came from. Well…I do, but don't at the same time, if that makes any sense. See, after that day in the Common Room, with Lavender and Parvati, I was approached by Avery. I didn't understand then, but I guess I do now. He offered me power. He said I would have servants and followers and I would be a Dark Lord of some kind. I think I kinda understand it now. He wants me to follow in Voldemort's footsteps. I'm guessing his family is part of that Death Eater thing."

Harry remembered Luna telling him all about this; he had just been so focused on gaining Hermione's trust that it had slipped his mind. He mentally chastised himself for being so careless.

"To make a long story short, he wanted me to join him. And well…I'm not going to lie, after all the shit I've had to put up with, a little revenge doesn't sound too bad. Anyway, I've been having these dreams. And in the dreams, I am this…person he was telling me I could be. It's like a whole other world, where I rule everything. Everyone fears me. I'm a leader." Hermione explained, opening up and telling Harry about all her dark secrets. She knew what he was waiting to hear though. She took a deep breath, "And that's where I killed…them."

Harry didn't need for her to elaborate on the identities of them. "My parents." He whispered softly.

Hermione nodded, "Yes, that's where I met Lily and James. I don't understand. I don't see how they really could exist. I mean, they were just supposed to be innocent victims."

Chills crawled up Harry's back. He wasn't sure why all this unnerved him so. They were just dreams. However, her words still worried him. "Tell me about the dream." Did he really want to hear how someone killed his parents in a dream?

This was for Hermione. Whether he wanted to hear it or not, he knew she needed him to listen.

"I walked into a house. I don't really remember details about how it looked or anything, but in the dream, the details were vivid. Lily and James were inside. They were scared of me. Avery was there too. The couple was completely terrified." Hermione's eyes remained locked on the bedpost and her voice was empty and hollow as she retold her dream. "They cowered. I…I tortured them, using the Crutacious Curse. James…he tried to save Lily. Begged for her to get spared. I only mocked him. I…you were mentioned. I said something about `their son.' Great Wizards, I had no clue it was you. Then, well…I talked about Evil and Power and Weakness. Then…I…I…the Killing Curse…" she couldn't finish; tears slowly slid down her cheeks.

Harry nodded. He knew what must have happened next. He didn't know what to say. "You're sure it was my parents?" He asked, though he knew it was useless. Hermione knew what she saw.

Hermione didn't even bother responding.

"Has anything else been going on? Any other-" his eyes landed on her bedside table and her journal entry thing came to mind. "What did Ron and Draco do?" He asked seriously, fearing the worst. He didn't think his old friends were capable of doing anything horrible, but he also didn't think they would desert him either.

Hermione raised an inquisitive eyebrow. "How do you know…?"

Harry pulled out the piece of paper and showed it to her. "When you were gone, I snuck up here to see if you happened to be in your room. I…I knew I should have gone through your stuff, but I dunno, my curiosity got the best of me. I found this. Now please, tell me what all this means! They threatened your life?!" Harry exclaimed, shoving the paper towards her.

Hermione was at a loss for what to say. Now that it was out in the open, she had to tell him something. But what if he didn't believe her? What if he thought she was making it up to draw him even father from his old friends? She would have to be careful. Hermione stood and walked over toward her window and looked outside into the inky blackness. The moon shone brightly, creating a blue sheen on the snow. She weighed each word carefully. "Have you ever heard of the Internecivus Araneus?" Hermione asked slowly, turning around. Harry shook his head. Hermione walked over to a pile of books and picked up Deadly Creatures and Their Origins. She quickly flipped to page forty-two and handed the book to Harry.

"Well, it's a spider of sorts. A very dangerous spider…" Hermione went on to tell him of the attack upon her, stressing just how dangerous the specimen was. As she relived the horrific experience, chills ran all along her body and she unconsciously rubbed her neck. She rushed through the story, not wanting to prolong the horror she had felt. Once she finished, she look at Harry. Instead of the look of anger she had anticipated on him, she found his expression unreadable.

Finally, she said softly, "Harry?"

Harry blinked and looked her in the eye. He glanced back down at the book in his hands and took in the picture. "A…spider? They threatened you with…a…spider?" He asked, flabbergasted.

Hermione scoffed. He didn't believe her. He sounded almost like he was mocking her. But she needed him to believe her. "Look, I know it may be hard to believe, but I swear I'm telling the truth. Ron put that thing on my neck! It could have killed me! As you can see, I even researched he spider. Everything they said was true! I promise!" She insisted, willing for him to believe her, pointing at the book.

"Ron held this…this…spider? Like…one of those things with a zillion eyes and eight bendy legs? They spin webs? A spider?!" Harry asked, still disbelieving.

Hermione was irritated now and made a disgusted sound. She went over and snatched the book from him. "Yes, a bloody spider! I can't believe you think I'm making this up!" Her voice was turning shrill.

Harry realized Hermione was getting upset with him. He hastily began to explain, "No, no, no. You don't understand, Hermione. It's not that I think you're making it up. I just...see, Ron is absolutely terrified of spiders. He hates them. And for him to even be in the same room as this thing…that's a stretch. It's just not him. I'm sorry. I know him. I…I really…" he stopped. Hermione looked heartbroken because she thought he thought she was lying. "Look, what else happened? What else was said?" He asked, hoping to find something that would help make her story plausible. It was just Ron was petrified of these things!

"I…I don't know. They said I was brainwashing you. Or giving you sexual favors," Hermione blushed, but pressed on. "In exchange for friendship. Something about me never fitting in with the Potters. They called me a Mudblood. Um. I was meant to be in Slytherin. I'm evil." Hermione strained her memory. "I don't know! It happened though, Harry, I swear to Merlin it happened." She was almost in tears.

"I know, Hermione. I believe you. I really do. I know something must have happened. I don't doubt the event happened at all. It's just, I dunno. There must have been something else there. I mean, I really can't see Ron and Draco being so cruel. I know they've been assholes, but I also grew up with them. Calling you a Mudblood…? It's not them. Maybe they were under a spell or something. I dunno. Anything else you can remember? Anything at all?" He didn't want to believe it. Ron and Draco could never do something like this.

Hermione shook her head. "No…just…I dunno. We were trying to bluff each other. I said they were horrible. They said I was ruining your reputation. I've ruined your life. I've been trouble ever since the first day we met in Potions. Something about Granger qualities, which I'm guessing now, after all that's been revealed, must be the whole Vold-"

Something sounded off to Harry. "Wait, Potions? They said we first met in Potions class?" Harry asked suddenly. No, they knew all about the meeting at the Ministry.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "What? Oh, yeah, they thought we first met in Potions. And said I've been trouble-"

Harry shook his head. "No, none of this fits them. And I told them about meeting you at the Ministry. No…there's something else involved here. Maybe even Dark Magic, I dunno. I can feel it. It doesn't make sense, otherwise. Where would they get this thing? Sure, Draco's family may be able to get it, but it's not likely for Draco to go to his family for it." Harry finished, pacing the floor now.

Hermione walked closer to him, reaching a hand out and stopping his pacing. "So what exactly are you saying then? It wasn't them?" She asked, disbelievingly.

Harry shrugged. "Trust me, Hermione. It's not them. They could have been anyone in disguise. Who knows? But please, you have to trust me on this. I need you to." Harry pleaded.

Hermione didn't say anything. Harry had a point. It would have been someone else. Anyone. But who?

Someone who was obviously trying to push Hermione away from Harry.

Someone who would have access to Dark creatures.

Someone who would…could do such a terrible thing.

Hermione looked up at Harry. Suddenly, she recognized the sneaky techniques the boys had used.

They've been used on her before.

"Avery."

Harry nodded. "It wouldn't surprise me. Sounds right up his alley, the sneaky bastard. It would make loads of sense. But I'm going to ask Ron and Draco about it anyway. I'll know for sure then. Anything else?" Harry asked.

Hermione thought for a moment. Nothing rushed to mind. She had told Harry of her night terrors. Of her getting attacked by the alleged Avery. She shook her head.

Harry nodded, "Okay, well now it's time for me to share. Remember when I talked to Dumbledore? Well, I told him everything I know. I was worried. Remember the other night when my head hurt at the Shrieking Shack?" Harry asked, looking at Hermione.

She nodded. Where was he going with this?

Harry continued, "Well, it's not the first time it's hurt. And I've realized exactly what is hurting." He pushed his bangs back. "This scar from that wreck I told you about. I don't know how and I don't know why, but I know that's what's been hurting. And…I know what's been causing it…" He finished slowly. How could he tell her it was her touch?

Hermione still couldn't see where he was going with this. "Then what's causing the pain?"

Harry sighed, "This is going to sound crazy, but I talked to Dumbledore about it and he seems to think it's feasible…that…it's…well, you."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Me? I'm causing your scar to hurt?" She asked, completely thrown off.

Harry nodded. "It's just hurts when we touch. Sometimes it just twinges, other times, I feel like my head is going to split in two. It only happens when our skin touches. Here, let me…?" Harry stepped closer to her. He hesitantly reached out a hand and grasped Hermione's bare arm. As he expected, pain shot through his forehead. Not as much as before, but enough to be noticeable. He let go.

It's you." He confirmed.

Hermione just stared at him, unblinkingly. "But how? Why?" She asked, stunned.

Harry shrugged. "I think that's what Dumbledore wants to talk to us about."

Hermione nodded. "Sorry for all the pain I've caused you." She muttered sheepishly, almost embarrassed.

Harry laughed. "Don't worry about it."

Silence filled the room.

"So."

"So."

Neither could really think of anything to say.

Harry gave her an awkward smile, "Any more secrets?" He asked.

Hermione returned his smile. "Nope, none that I can think of. Any other crazy response from your body my touch gets?" Hermione asked innocently.

A slight blush crept into Harry's cheeks as he almost choked. "Uh, no. Everything's fine."

Hermione raised an eyebrow then suddenly realized what could have been taken from her words. Embarrassment flooded through her. "Oh. Um, I didn't mean…well…er...Sorry?" She offered, at a complete loss for what to say.

Harry laughed. "Well, it's getting late and I'm going to go see if I can find Ron and Draco before they go to bed. The sooner we get to the bottom of this, the sooner we can take care of it. Are you going to sleep now or coming down to the Common Room or what?" Harry asked, trying smooth over the tension.

Hermione shrugged. "I think I'll just get to bed. It's been a long day and I had a rough night last night. Plus we have our last week of classes tomorrow, so I want to be rested. Christmas break is coming up! I'm excited!" Hermione replied, smiling.

Harry nodded. "Alright, well I guess I'll go out the way I came in…" He grabbed his broomstick and headed for the window.

Hermione gave a nod back. "Well, good night then. I'll see you tomorrow."

Harry smiled, "Good night too. And Hermione?"

She raised her head, "Yes?"

Harry gave her a small grin, "Thanks for telling me everything. Thank you for trusting me."

"Thank you too."

With that, Harry flew out the window and headed back in the direction of his own dormitory.

After he left, Hermione locked the window and quickly got ready for bed. Once she was finished, she laid down in her bed and let relief sweep over her, as well as exhaustion. Telling Harry was a good thing.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

New meanings to the words I feed upon
Wake within my veins elements of freedom
Can't break now I've been living for this
Won't break now I'm cleansed with hopefulness

"Precious Declaration"

COLLECTIVE SOUL

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

The dormitory was empty when Harry got back, as he had anticipated. He quickly put his Firebolt away before heading down to the Common Room. Ron and Draco were playing Wizard chess on one of the tables while talking to Seamus and Jeremy. Harry took a deep breath, and before he could lose his nerve, he strode over to them. They looked up when they saw him with mild interest.

"I need to talk to talk to you two. It's pretty important. Can we step outside?" Harry asked, looking at his two old friends. He gave them an urgent look, and then walked to the Portrait Hole. Ron and Draco looked at each before following. They knew that worried look. Harry was halfway down the corridor when they got out there, waiting on them.

"What's up?" Draco asked as they stopped just a few feet short of Harry.

There was no point of beating it around the bush. "Did you guys do anything to Hermione?" Harry asked, giving them a pointed look.

Ron rolled his eyes. "No, we haven't touched her. Merlin, now what, just going to start accusing people of hurting her?"

Harry glared at him. "She said-"

Draco stopped him, "Oh so she's the one saying we're causing trouble then?" He started back towards the Common Room, Ron following suit.

Harry grabbed their arms so they were facing him again. "Look, I didn't think you guys had done anything. Someone must have been impersonating you-"

"Or she is lying," Draco muttered.

"She's not. And as far as you blokes know, there are a couple of students walking around the school, disguised as you two, threatening people with deadly spiders and such. That's Azkaban time. You two are the ones who are going to take the fall. Now I know it's not you two, Merlin, there's deadly spider involved here."

Draco shrugged. "I doubt you pulled us out here to warn us about this."

Ron nodded in agreement. "What is this really about?"

Harry sighed. "I just wanted to make sure. I mean, I know it wasn't you guys-"

"Obviously you weren't too confident." Ron sneered.

Harry just looked them, not knowing what to say. "I had to ask." He said with a shrug.

The two boys gave him one last look before turning around again.

Before Harry could stop himself, he called, "So when is this going to end?"

His old friends paused for a second, before continuing down the corridor.

Anger gripped him. They were being stubborn assholes. He found himself shouting after them, "You know, I've never deserted you guys, ever. I didn't let your dark reputation, Draco, stop me from being friends with you, even when you were a snotty prat. Or you, Ron. I've never let your jealous issues come between us either, even when you've acted like a complete prat. I've always been loyal, you hear that? I'VE ALWAYS BEEN LOYAL!" Harry screamed, but they just walked through the Portrait Hole, leaving him in the corridor by himself.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Harry was walking down one of the corridors in Hogwarts, nothing thinking anything in particular, just walking. The hall was well-lit and sunshine was pouring in through the windows, bright and reflecting off the snow. He was just thinking about getting something to drink when a door flew open and Ron and Draco appeared, broomsticks in hand. Ron's eyes were wide. "There you are! Hurry mate, the Quidditch game is about so start!"

"What? But I don't have my stu-" He looked and saw he was suddenly in his Quidditch uniform and his Firebolt in his hand. "Ok, well I guess let's go." Harry finished before he followed Ron and Draco. There were at the end of the corridor when they bumped into Hermione. As soon as she saw him, her face lit up.

"Harry! I've been looking everywhere for you. We have that Transfiguration project we need to work on. We need to get to the Library. Let's go! Hurry! We are going to run out of time!" Hermione grabbed his hand and began to pull him away from Ron and Draco. He felt another tug on her arm by Ron.

"No, he has a game." Ron said, pulling Harry back.

Hermione scoffed. "There isn't time for games. We have to finish that project, Harry." She gave his hand another small jerk. "The Library is this way."

Harry looked back and forth. Ron's face was red, and Hermione's was getting there.

"The game."

"No, he has a project he needs to finish." Hermione growled.

Both Ron and Hermione had a grip on each of his arms, and were pulling him in opposite directions.

"He has a game!"

"He needs to go to the Library!"

A door opened and Harry's father walked in on the scene. "Harry, what are you doing? What have we told you about the Grangers?" He gave his son a stern look. "We don't associate with them." Once that was said, he went over and stood behind Ron and Draco.

"Exactly, and besides, she killed us, remember?" He heard his mother's voice say as she walked in out of nowhere and stood beside her husband, but not before giving Hermione a look of distaste.

"Harry, the game? Scouts are coming to this one." Harry's father said with a note of finality in his voice, as if that summed the whole matter up.

A few more students made their way into view, all walking over to Ron and Draco's side, talking about the upcoming Quidditch game.

"However," an almost raspy voice sounded, "Sometimes there are more important things, like love and friendship." None other than Albus Dumbledore appeared, his blue eyes twinkling. Dumbledore sent the confused Harry a mischievous grin before winking at Hermione and walking over to her and gently putting a hand on her shoulder. She gave him a grateful smile before looking back at Harry with dark eyes and a pretty smile.

Harry looked back and forth between the opposing sides.

"It's against Slytherin!"

"Really, Harry, the project is due soon!"

"Quidditch!"

"Other more important things."

"Let's go to the game!"

"Want to go to the Library with me, Harry?

Finally, Harry jerked his arms free from the whole lot of them and took off down the corridor. Their yells echo down the hall and seemed to follow him, but he tried to concentrate on just running. After what felt like hours, he slowed to a stop as a stitch in his side throbbed with pain. He was half hunched over with his hands on his knees when he vaguely realized he wasn't wearing his Quidditch attire anymore, nor did he have his Firebolt.

"What's wrong, Potter, lose your Mudblood girlfriend, now did we?" Avery stood there in front of him, laughing. "Oh, what's that? You know all her dark secrets now, do you? Why aren't you with her? Afraid she'll murder your parents or something?" His cold blue eyes flashed.

Harry shook his head, "Ge…get." He was out of breath and couldn't seem to get any air into his lungs. "Ge…" Still, he couldn't breathe.

Avery laughed. "Ge…what? Forget how to talk? You better hurry; the Quidditch game just started. Now if you don't mind, I've got a project to do in the Library." He winked and started back towards the castle. Harry tried to go after him, but found that he couldn't move. "Sto…stop." He wheezed.

He felt a tap on his should and turned around, only to find Ron and Draco standing behind him, wild looks on their faces. "There you are! Hurry mate, the Quidditch game is about so start!"

Oh no, not again!

He shook his head. "Library!" He managed to get out, but couldn't seem to move in that direction.

Draco gave him a funny look. "What kind of Golden Snitch are you going to find in the Library, mate? It's the Quidditch stadium for. Let's go, we're going to be late!"

No, he needed to get to the Library, with Hermione. They didn't understand. Avery was up there and…and...a shrill scream floated his way, though no one appeared to even hear it accept him.

Hermione!

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Harry woke with a start and wildly took in his immediate surroundings.

He was in his bed. His clock read 6:24. He blinked a few times before coming to his senses and realized it had been a dream. The fighting and the arguing. Avery. It was all just a dream. Harry sat there motionless for a moment before getting up and heading to the bathroom for a shower, careful not to wake the other boys in the room.

That morning found him and Hermione sitting at their usual end of the Gryffindor table, neither really talking much. A few words were exchanged concerning the breakfast, but Hermione was mostly engrossed in a textbook across from him while Harry was content with eating his food. With nothing on his mind in particular, he sat in the silence, almost in a daze until he was disturbed by footsteps coming towards him. He glanced up and saw that Ron was standing in beside him. Without a word, he sat down beside Harry, while Draco sat across from Ron, next to Hermione. Hermione, clearly uncomfortable and confused, searched Harry's face for an explanation. Her eyes were wide and Harry could see a slight fear.

"So," Draco said in a forced-pleasant voice, "How's breakfast this morning? Anything especially tasty in particular?" He asked with a smile. He glanced over at Hermione, but she quickly returned to her book, her face slightly pink. Her shoulder gave a small shrug.

Harry cleared his throat, "The eggs are pretty good." Draco nodded.

Harry glanced over at Ron, who was looking down at his food, before back to Hermione. Her eyes were hard to read. She was staring down at her book, under the pretense that she was reading, but Harry could tell she wasn't. Finally, she closed her book with a loud snap and grabbed her stuff before addressing Harry quietly, "I'll see you in class, I've got to run to the Library real quick." And with that, the brown-haired girl rushed off, out of the Great Hall.

Harry let out a slow breath once she left. He was half-glad she did. It was going to make this next conversation a lot easier to have and less unnerving.

"So what in the hell is this?"

Ron and Draco both looked up from their food. Draco finished chewing and swallowed before replying, "We realized we were indeed being complete assholes. You're right. You've always been there for us, no matter what."

"We're sorry. If you want her in with us, then that's cool. If you trust her, then we trust her. Screw everyone else." Ron chimed in, almost choking while trying to talk with his mouth full.

Harry had a stern look on his face, and looked from one bloke to the other. He could blow up. He could yell. He could grab them and shake them, demanding what had taken so long. They could have a good row about it before ending nicely.

His face broke out in a wide grin. "About bloody time!"

Or he could just accept it, and go on. Shit happens.

They laughed, and for a split second, it felt just like it used to be, before all this mess.

Draco grinned, "Any road, so now what? We're all cool, right?"

Harry nodded.

It was Ron's turn to grin, "Alright then, so tell us, what have you and your bint been up to anyway? We're not too thick to realize you aren't in fact an arse bandit, and Hermione is a girl. Are you two snogging or what?"

Harry spit up his juice in surprise. "Ron! No, we are not snogging. We're just mates, that's all."

Draco made a noise of disbelief, but decided not to push it. "She was uh…quite detached this morning, as it seems. She really isn't very fond of us at all, is she?" He asked.

Harry laughed, "Well, we decided it wasn't you who had attacked her in the Common Room, but for her, there's still no actual proof. I know you blokes aren't under any obligation or anything, but if you made a bit of an effort, I think she'd come around." Harry offered, hoping it was true. Hermione seemed to believe him last night.

Ron nodded. "Okay, we'll show her there's no need to get her knickers in a twist when she's around us-that is, if Harry isn't' carrying them in his pocket already." He finished with a wink.

Harry laughed. He could already see all the teasing and taunts that were coming his way. "Well I'm going to go catch up with Hermione; this is obviously quite odd for her. I'll get her up to speed and…we'll go from there. And uh, thanks guys." He stood and started for the door, leaving his two friends.

He found Hermione outside their first class that morning, Charms. She was looking at a book. "Hello there mate." He greeted her happily before plopping himself down beside her.

Hermione smiled stiffly at him. "Hi."

Harry gave her a small poke, "So what'cha reading?" He asked, looking at her book.

"Charms." She responded.

Harry nodded. "So earlier in the Great Hall…"

Hermione started hard at her book, "You're just going to let them come back. Just like that." Her voice was cold.

Harry didn't know what to say. "Well, when you put it that way. See Hermione, I know they've been right arseholes, and they know that too. They've apologized. They just had a moment of idiocy. They're great blokes, trust me. You'll like them. As far as that thing in the Common Room goes….it wasn't them, I promise."

Hermione nodded coldly. "Okay."

"That's what friends do, Hermione. They have fun, act stupid, are idiots for awhile, then we forgive and forget. We can't hold grudges forever. And I've been mates with them for a long time, as you know. So, do you think you can play nice if they do? For me? Who knows, you might even like them more than you like me!" Harry joked, causing Hermione to smile.

She gave a dramatic sigh, "Okay, I'll try to play nice. And I doubt I'll like them more than I like." She replied with a grin.

Harry grinned. "Brilliant. Now shall we get inside? Heaven forbid the seats in the front row get taken!" He narrowly missed Hermione's swat as they made their way into the classroom, front row, as always.

Harry couldn't help but think things finally seemed to be going in the right direction for about the first time this year.

000000000000

"And now," spoke Professor Flitwick, "If you would just partner up, practice all of last week's spells for the quiz tomorrow." His voice squeaked.

Harry was about to face Hermione when Draco stopped him. He grinned, "Let me partner up with her with round." He gave a wink.

A cold fear suddenly ran through Harry as Draco looked at him. He knew how Draco was with girls. He wasn't about to let Draco have a go at Hermione. She wasn't some tart. He cocked an eyebrow suspiciously. "She isn't a tart who-"

Draco laughed, "No, not like that. I know, I know, she's your girl. I got it. I'm not looking for fanny. I just want to talk."

Harry nodded. "Okay, I thought…"

Draco shook his head, "I'm not going to do you like that." And with that, he walked over to Hermione and said smoothly, "Hello there, milady, I hear you seek a partner." Harry rolled his eyes. He always did try to be suave with the ladies, whether it was his grandmother or even a little girl.

Hermione looked up at Harry, slightly alarmed. Harry smiled and gave her a coaxing nod. She relented and looked back at Draco. "Okay."

Draco smiled, "Good. So how are you?"

Hermione shrugged stiffly before attempting the first spell listed on the board, which she got easily. Draco offered her praise, before effortlessly doing the spelling himself.

"Harry told us about what happened in the Common Room." Draco finally said, as they moved down the list of spells.

Hermione didn't respond.

Draco pushed on, "Look, I know you can't like us too much at the moment, and we don't blame you. We've acted like jerks, and by the sound of it, we've attempted to take your life. You have to know that wasn't us. I swear on my life."

Hermione stopped. "I know. I trust Harry. If he says it wasn't you, then it wasn't you."

Draco nodded before snickering. "But say you don't believe me. Harry told us more about this attack at breakfast. You say the alleged Ron handled this spider, correct?"

Hermione just looked at him blankly.

Draco took her silence as a confirmation. "Alright, well want to see a boy almost piss his pants?"

A smile slowly crept on Hermione's features. "What do you have in mind?"

Draco laughed and glanced over at Ron, who was talking to Harry. "Watch closely." With a low mutter and a flick of his want in Ron's direction, a harmless black spider appeared on Ron's shoulder. At first, he didn't notice it.

Hermione watched as Harry pointed it out Ron. Ron's eye widened instantly and his arms started flailing. He was screaming shrilly, "Get it off! Get it off!"

Hermione and Draco were bursting with laughter at the humorous sight before them. Ron was running in circles, bumping into desks and falling over them as he tried to get the creature off him. Hermione could tell instantly this was not the same bloke who handled that other spider. She nodded as laughter still poured out.

Draco caught her eye. "See?" he asked innocently, chuckling. "Definitely not the type who could even touch this specimen of which you speak.

Harry walked over, laughing, and gave Draco a high-five. "You do realize Ron is going to kill you, right?" He asked.

Draco shrugged, "He can try."

And try he did. After Ron finally got the spider off him, he looked over at Draco, who was trying to look innocent. Red in the face, he came after his friend. Draco laughed, "Well, it was nice being partners with you, Hermione, but this is where he tries to make me pay for winding him up, so I must dash!" Draco rushed for the door and called behind him, "Sorry, Filius, I'll come back for my detention later!"

Ron rushed after him, calling back something similar.

The Charms' professor looked almost angry at first, before shrugging with a nod as if to say `Yeah, that sounds about right.'

Hermione turned to Harry, speechless. "Talk about total wankers!"

Harry laughed. "Yep."

I did my part, so you guys do yours and review!!! Think of it this way…I spent hours writing this for you (I could have just kept it all in my head!)…so spend a few seconds (or even minutes if you want!) and let me know what you think about it!!!!

Thanks and I'll catch you all in the next chapter!!!

*~Archie~*

-->