Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

The alarm went off buzzing, feeling like a drill in the side of her head. Reaching over she threw one hand down onto the machine to stop it, hoping that the absence of sound meant that horrible little machine would be dead. Laying there in silence she tried to open her eyes but failed as she found out that they were just too heavy for her, sighing she realized that it was going to be one of those days. She sat up, eyes still closed, and reached to her bedside table to pick up her glass of orange that she always kept there. The instant that the `orange' touched the back of her throat she spat it back out to be replaced by the feeling of vomit trying to work its way up her throat. As she slowly inched her eyes open she saw that she was holding last nights cold cup of coffee instead. She couldn't believe that she had did this, again, and after putting the cup down, she finished of her real orange juice.

Another long day stood before her, signaled as usual by a horrible start, just like every other person on this planet. Normal, but boring, she thought to herself.

`Hermione! Wake up, its time for work' She heard her mother call loudly from down the stairs. The sound of this second alarm made her groan as she swung her legs out from under the covers, ready to stand up to get ready for work. This was her morning ritual, just like she did on five other days of the week, just like she had done for the last 3 years out of the 19 that she had lived. Just like she would do for the next 50 years that stood in front of her.

*

`Thank you, Ms, and if you need to bring it back just remember to keep the receipt' Hermione said to an elderly woman, who had just bought a brand new dressing gown and was probably the highlight of her morning.

She looked down at her watch, it was one' o clock and consequently time for her lunch, thank the heavens she thought to herself. She pressed some buttons on her till and logged off, checking that everything was in its right place before wandering over to her boss to tell him.

`Hey Mike, its one already' Hermione said as friendly as she possibly could to a pervert like him.

`And?' he said sarcastically, his eyes still stuck on the clipboard before him as he seemed to ignore her.

`And it's my lunch break' she replied, trying to keep her voice neutral.

`And I guess you're meeting your boyfriend for it?' Mike said looking up at her, he spat the word boyfriend like it was an insult.

`Yeah…' she said awkwardly `So I better be going, see you in an hour'

`And with these words she began to stroll out of the shop, making her way through the busy streets of London on a Saturday, everyone so intent on buying even more rubbish for their tiny flat than they already had. The sight of all this made Hermione feel sick, not physically but in a strange way where she couldn't believe somehow that this was her life, her world, and that she would probably die looking for some new curtains.

Suddenly she felt a hand go around her waist, making her spin around quickly expecting to see a group of teenagers or something, but instead seeing the one face that could cheer her up, her boyfriend.

`Don't do that!' she said throwing her arms around him and pressing her lips to his `What if I had just swung an arm or something at you? You could have been hurt!'

`By your chubby little arm I don't think so!' he said grabbing at her waist with both his hands, Hermione effortlessly slipped from his grip and stood in front of him, both her hands on her hips.

`Now, take that back, James Stone, I don not have chubby arms!' she snapped playfully.

`Ok Ok, Hermione Granger' he said laughing `you have beautiful, model arms…now lets go and get some chips, I'm starving'

He took her hand in his and led her towards the closest McDonalds, the place they usually spent lunch and also the one place that Hermione actually managed to enjoy herself during the day.

*

`Thank god, I never thought today was going to end!' a woman said, aged about 40 or so with curly brown hair.

`Me neither, Lydia' Hermione replied watching the last customer leave the shop `At least its Sunday tomorrow'

`That doesn't mean that much when your married with kids' Lydia replied emptying her till into her cashbox as she spoke `Working here is more like the day off'

`Well hopefully I won't be saying that for sometime yet' Hermione said making Lydia laugh.

`What, a pretty girl like you' she said, cashbox in hand and turning to eye her up `I give you six months' she added with a smile `see you Monday'

Hermione looked at Lydia leave, her dark brown hair flowing out behind her, and became terrified that she would be like her in 20 years time. It wasn't that she disliked Lydia, in fact they spent evenings in the pub together sometimes, it's just that Hermione hadn't yet given herself up to an ordinary life yet, however much the facts supported it.

She opened her till, withdrawing the money slowly and carefully to her cashbox before closing down the system. After straightening the top she had on she made her way to the front of the store, ready to give her cashbox to Mike and leave for the night, but as she reached the doors she realized Mike wasn't there.

`He's already gone up' the security guy said to her as he started to get the locks ready `Told me to tell you to come up to the warehouse'

`That's just great!' Hermione said stamping her feet slightly like an impertinent child and spinning around to walk upstairs.

As she made her way towards the warehouse she gritted her teeth, at the end of the day she needed to leave as quickly as possible, James waited for her and she didn't want to spend extra time in the shop if she didn't have to. It was probably Mike's idea of trying to get time with her.

She reached the door and pushed it open. The main light was of and only a few torch lights and small bulbs kept it from being complete darkness. Hermione, who was usually braver than most, couldn't help but find this room somewhat creepy, like the darkness was hiding something. She shook her head to rid the crazy childish thoughts and took a step inside, her hand reaching for the light switch. Flicking it she realized why the light was off as it was broken and took a few, slow, steps in.

`Mike, you in here?' she called, trying hard to keep any fear out of her voice `The lights broken...I just…just thought you'd wanna know'

The warehouse was full of mannequins, completely black thanks to the lack of light, and every single one of them looked creepy and alive somehow. She stopped dead in her tracks in an instant, she had heard a sound. A footstep.

`Mike…This isn't funny!' she called back, still taking her slow steps forward, but now her steps weren't the only ones in the room, in fact it sounded like several people `Now that's it! If you don't stop I'm reporting you!' she shouted into the darkness.

She stopped in her tracks, spotting something that looked like a trainer near a small bulb. She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing fully that she found one of them and made her way over to it.

`I've found you Mi….' She stopped dead in front of the small part of light, where she had expected to see a smug Mike `Oh no…no, no…' she whispered in shock. The sight she had found was in fact Mike, but not smug or smiling, but dead. His head twisted roughly to one side, his eyes still open but no longer alive, a little patch of blood dripping down one side of his mouth. She threw her hand up to her mouth to stop herself from screaming, hardly noticing the sounds of dozens of footsteps behind her.

Turning around she instantly saw them, but what were they? They appeared to be mannequins, all walking straight at her, arms held up as if they were all eager to grab her. She couldn't move, logic told her that they couldn't be real, that plastic couldn't walk.

They inched closer, a few more steps and they'd be on her, and she'd end up like Mike.

A hand slid into hers quickly, as she turned to look at the owner of the hand she came face to face with a boy her age, raven black messy hair and glasses being all she could make out in the near darkness.

`I'm Harry' the man said with a smile which disappeared before he spoke again `Now follow me'

He literally dragged her the first few steps before her feet started working again and they ran threw a door, leading to the corridor to the fire escape. He turned around, withdrew something she couldn't see and she heard the sound of the door locking behind them. Hermione's brain couldn't work, Mike was dead, plastic was walking and a stranger had saved her. This couldn't be real.

`Aha!' The man named Harry said taking something out of his coat and attaching it to a radiator. Hermione's brain tried to work out what it was but was working slower than usual. She watched as he pressed a few buttons before it all clicked into place in her head.

`That's a bomb!' she said in shock and anger looking at the man who had saved her life, but turned out to be a…a…criminal, or something, she figured.

`You're not as stupid as you look!' he said happily, stopping what he was doing and looking at her with a bright smile attached to his face, seemingly lost on what he was doing.

`You can't blow up the shop!' she demanded, making him starting to press buttons again.

`I guarantee you I can' he said distractedly, now the sound of banging on the door he had locked was joining on in their conversation. If you could call this madness a conversation.

`But what about…Mike?' she said his name softly, somewhat scared of saying it too loud so close to his body. Harry stopped what he was doing again and looked at her, pain and sorrow etched on his face.

`I'm sorry, but he's dead…' he said all this softly, consolingly `I was too late…but if I don't do this now, I'll be too late for the rest of London'

And with one last look of sorrow he pressed more buttons on the machine, a loud beep beep following and he stopped. Turning to her he had a smile across his face again.

`Come on, we ain't got long, and I want good seats' he said all this quickly, almost brightly, before taking her hand and leading her quickly down the corridor to the fire escape. He withdrew that thing again and Hermione saw it was long and made of wood, but this wasn't very surprising now, in context to the rest of the evening anyway. Instantly the door sprang open and he led her through it and down the steps again till they were on the pavement.

Leading her down the alleyway to the main street he didn't say a word until they were before the shop, looking at the place she had spent most of her waking time since she was 16 years old.

`One moment' Harry said looking at his watch before he added `now'

In front of her eyes the shop went up in flames, followed by an ear splitting BOOM. People in the street were screaming and running in opposite directions, flames were billowing like mad throughout the windows, like the pictures you see from war. And in this carnage Hermione stood stock still holding the hand of a stranger, watching these things unfold in front of her like they weren't real, like they were common place in her life, where everything since closing was the opposite of Hermione Grangers life.

`Did you like that?' Harry said letting go of her hand and walking off down the street, adults screaming like they were children running past him as he enjoyed a relaxing stroll.

`Why did you do that!' she nearly shouted as she walked fast to keep up with him.

`'I guess your not all that smart' Harry said happily, looking at the people still running and screaming `didn't you see what one of them did your friend Mike, imagine what all of them would do to London'

`But you could of hurt someone' Hermione said angrily, annoyed at how blasé he was about blowing up a building in the middle of London.

`The shop was empty' he replied shrugging `and I designed the explosion to not hurt any bystanders'

`What about me?' she asked furiously.

`Well, if I remember correctly, and I assure you I do, I saved your life' Harry said happily `So everyone wins!'

She grabbed his arm and swung him round, a look of shock on his face as she did this, but she was too angry and confused to care about her rudeness.

`You have an answer for everything, don't you?' she demanded, hands on her hips. Harry seemed to think this over for a moment before replying.

`Generally I do' he admitted `but it was pretty straight forward this time'

`How on earth do you call this…' she pointed around at the blown out building and the terrified people before carrying on `…Straight forward?'

`Well…' Harry said this calmly like he was explaining the answer to one plus one `…they would have killed you, I saved you, they would of killed thousands, perhaps millions, so I saved them. Sorry, but what part of this isn't straight forward?'

Hermione's brain worked overtime, running through the millions of questions through her head to try and poke a flaw in this Harry's logic, to try and bring back sensibility to her life.

`You're mad' she said, hoping that he would admit that he was and snap her out of this nightmare.

`Probably' Harry said shrugging before he stopped stock still and stared at her `Why are you following me?'

`I'm not!' Hermione said defensively, annoyed at his accusationary tone.

`Then, if you don't mind, I have places to be, as I'm sure you do' Harry said this in a friendly tone, but one of the conversation being over. He gave her a smile and strolled of down the street, leaving her alone with only her thoughts as company, thoughts that mainly revolved around what the hell had just happened.

*

`Hey mum' Hermione called as she opened her front door, barely half an hour after leaving the stranger Harry.

`Hermione!' her mother screamed as she heard her run through the house to pull her into a bone crushing hug `I was so worried!'

`Why?' Hermione asked momentarily confused as her mother pulled away from her.

`The explosion!' she said pulling Hermione through to the front room and positioning herself in front of the Television. She looked at images in front of her, a man in a suit telling of the action before cutting to the explosion itself. There was more fire, more panic, more chance of death, than Hermione could remember there being, it seemed impossible that she had just been there half an hour ago. But not as impossible as what else had happened.

`I was so worried!' her mother said, slightly teary eyed before slapping her on her arm angrily `Why didn't you phone!'

`Oh…' Hermione said distractedly she knew she couldn't tell what really had happened `I must have missed it'

`Thank the heavens for that' her mother said as she walked over to the kitchen and brought back a cup of coffee for her `I was just thinking, you could probably get some compensation for this, you know, trauma and all that'

`Leave it out mother' Hermione said, eyes glued to the destruction before her, the destruction that the stranger Harry had made.

`Well…I'll look into it for you' she said cheerily as she looked down at the television as well. A few moments passed before the bell rang and her mother went of to answer it, Hermione was still trying frantically to work out what had just happened, but however much she milled over the facts, they just wouldn't make any sense.

`Hermione!' came a new voice making her jump, as her vision shifted she realized it was James `Where did you run off to? I was looking everywhere for you'

`I'm sorry' Hermione said as James sat next to her, she could tell how worried he was, a look of happiness on his face as he realized she was ok. But the only reason she was ok was because of that Harry.

`That's ok, as long as you're safe' he said leaning over to kiss her. His lips against hers made her feel safe, normal, back in the real world. `Can you believe this?' he added pointing at the screen.

`No…I can't' Hermione said softly thinking of her own evening.

`So…' James said after a few moments `I was thinking we could go to the pub?'

`I'm a bit tired' Hermione said, her eyes never leaving the television. She somehow thought that sooner or later they would announce it as a hoax, or some reality TV joke.

`But, you know, we should…you know, act normal' James said a little anxiously, making Hermione look at him. She realized what was on his mind like only a girlfriend could.

`The match is on, ain't it?' she asked with a smile.

`Yeah' he admitted `If we leave now we can catch the second half?'

`You go on, I'm gonna have an early night' Hermione said accepting of how much he loved his Arsenal.

`Thanks babe' he said standing up a and kissing her `Love you'

`Love you too' she replied kissing him again.

She watched him as she left, giddy like a school kid as he prepared to watch football. She thought of how safe he made her feel, how secure and normal he was to her, how strange and different Harry was.

*

A buzzing went of in the side of her head, splitting all the way through to her brain, throwing a hand over to the side of her bed she slapped the alarm to off, the alarm that was the bane of her existence. She opened her eyes, happy at how well the morning was already going and sat up.

`Hermione!' her mother called from the next room `no need to get up, not now your job got blown up!'

Hermione sighed annoyed, in all the excitement of yesterday she hadn't thought of where she was going to work, how she was going to get money and support herself. She swung her legs out of the bed quickly, she needed to get a move on and work out what she was going to do.

After changing quickly and brushing her hair though she made her way to the front room, finding her mother with a cup of tea and the morning paper beside her.

`Didn't you hear me dear' she said happily `no need to get up today'

`I know' she said sitting down at the table with her `But I still have things to do. Need a new job'

`I hear they've got work at the shoe shop in town' her mother said helpfully.

`Knowing my luck it'll be McDonalds for me' Hermione said a little grumpily.

`Nothing wrong with working there' her mother said a little sternly.

`I know, I know' Hermione said, running her hand over her face. She couldn't get that Harry out of her head, and she knew she'd probably never see him again.

`I'm going to go to the police station today, see about some compensation for you' her mother said happily but as she spoke the bell rang `get that for me dear'

Hermione stood up, and made her way out of the kitchen to the front door. Yawning slightly she opened the door and saw a sight she would never have expected.

`What are you doing here?' Harry, the stranger, said to her slightly rudely.

`This is my house!' Hermione said quickly `what are you doing here?'

`Oh' Harry said confused looking at her `well… I didn't catch your name, and as you know mine I thought I should at least know yours'

`Its Hermione' she said confused looking at him.

`Excellent' he said and walked past her into the house `You don't mind me coming in, do you?'

`No…sure' Hermione said following him as he looked around making his way through the house. He wandered into the front room and spotted her mother.

`Hi' he said brightly to her mother.

`Hello' her mother said happily, looking at Hermione in teasing shock.

`Mum, can you give us a minute' Hermione said forcefully, her mother looked at her for a few moments before shrugging and wandering off to her own room. When she was sure she was gone she turned to look at Harry.

`What are you doing here? And tell me the truth' Hermione demanded, nothing this Harry did was ever normal, including showing up at nine o'clock in the morning.

`The truth?' Harry said wide eyed looking at her `Well the truth is it has something to do with last night'

`What has my home got to do with last night?' Hermione said, getting annoyed at all of his half answers.

`To tell the truth I don't know' Harry said, running his hand though his hair and looking around the house `I have absolutely no idea why I'm here'

`So why did you come?' Hermione asked like he was a simpleton.

`I followed a residue signature here…' Harry said, Hermione could tell that his mind was thinking everything through `…And you would have a residue signature because…when you came in contact with them cell transference started, absorbing the residual energy along with your own!'

`You're making no sense again' Hermione said confused.

`Don't worry, I do that a lot' Harry said brightly `I better be going'

`No way!' Hermione said, jumping to one side to block his path. Harry stopped and looked interestedly at her.

`What's wrong?' Harry asked, a smile playing on his lips.

`What do you mean, what's wrong!' she demanded `How about you coming here, Mike being murdered, those things trying to kill me, oh, and you blowing up my job!'

Harry looked at her for a few moments before laughing loudly, throwing his head back and just laughing like he hadn't done it in years.

`I guess you have a point' he said as he regained control and sat down by the table `how about you make us a cup of coffee and I'll explain some things to you?'

`You promise?' Hermione said eyeing him carefully. He nodded and she knew he was telling truth `Ok, I'll be right back'

She walked through the door and put on the kettle, her brain running a hundred miles an hour, unable to stop on any single thought. Harry, the most amazing and exciting person she had ever met had shown up at her house. She fought hard to suppress a uncharacteristic giggle.

Picking up the two cups she made her way back into the room, dropping each cup instantly at the sight of what was in front of her. A white, plastic arm, was seeming gashing at Harry's face, he in turn was scrambling around the floor trying to pull it off. Hermione had no idea what to do, even if there was anything she could do, but she had to try, Harry seemed to be losing.

Grabbing up a lampshade from the mantel piece she swung as hard as she could, eyes closed, as she tried to knock away the arm.

`What the hell!' she heard Harry shout out in pain, instantly realizing she had missed the arm. She dropped the, now broken, lampshade and tried to grab the arm. As she held onto it she realized it was stronger than the average man, but still she pulled with all her might. A second later it was off Harry, and was still in her arms, like the arm had died. She looked up at Harry, confused at why it had stopped and realized that he had that wooden thing in his hand again, and a smile attached to his face. He grabbed the arm of her and pointed the wooden thing at it, a brighter smile across his face.

`Fantastic!' he almost yelled turning to her `thank you, you saved me there'

`That's…alright' she said unsure of herself once again.

`I've gotta get going' he said walking out past her and to the front door. She was momentarily struck still, unable to move. Quickly turning she ran after him, catching him quickly.

`Where are you going?' Hermione yelled as she caught up with him and fell into step beside him.

`I guess I'm off to save the world' Harry said shrugging.

`What the hell? She said confused, slamming herself for sounding so dumb.

`Well…I guess I'm not saving the world, but probably humanity' he replied in a friendly tone.

`You're not making sense again' she said shaking her head at how bizarre Harry was.

`And yet again I'm sorry for it' Harry said `are you ok?' he asked seriously stopping walking and turning to her.

`Yeah' she replied taken aback by how concerned he sounded. Instantly he turned and started walking again, Hermione almost jogging to keep up.

`Who were they?' she said exasperated, unsure if she wanted to know the answer or not.

`Mannequins' Harry said brightly, evidently happy at the conversation taking a turn to something more `normal'.

`I know that but why were they…walking and…stuff' Hermione ended this sentence lamely, nothing in her life having prepared her for this kind of thing.

`They were being controlled' Harry replied equally brightly, stopping to look at the arm he held once again and then taking a turn down a new road.

`Controlled by what?' Hermione asked, having to speed up her walking to keep up with him.

`If I had to guess…' Harry said stopping and looking around him, like he was seeing things that Hermione couldn't `…I'd have to say a Plastocrese'

`A what?' Hermione said confused, positive she had never heard such a word before in her life.

`Plas-to-crese' Harry said to her, not helping one bit `A creature that can control plastic. Made out of plastic but with sentient intelligence, but one nasty personality. Almost impossible to kill and incredible strong'

`So a near indestructible creature made them mannequins come to life and walk around?' Hermione said incredulously. She had to believe what she had seen but she wasn't going to believe anything she didn't have to `Why are they after me?'

`Rather full of yourself, aren't you?' Harry said teasingly as he raised an eyebrow at her.

`They showed up at my job and my home' Hermione pointed out, but Harry only sighed.

`Actually they were after me' Harry said looking at her and explaining as he walked along the road `I was at your shop, so they came there. And I guess I left some sort of…imprint…on you, so they followed you here'

`And you're out to stop them?' Hermione asked cautiously, knowing that he could answer in any manner of strange ways.

`Yeah…' Harry said slowly, Hermione could tell by his tone that he was slightly unsure of himself.

`What's wrong?' she asked.

`It's just that…' Harry said this and stopped to look at her, moments passed where he just looked into her eyes, she could tell if he was judging whether or not to carry on `…its just that their range isn't anything like what I've been seeing, that in the shop last night was impossible…unless…'

Harry had stopped once more, his eyes not moving but his brain obviously running over time.

`…unless…the Plastocrese has set up some kind of transmitter…' Harry said, his eyes excited at the idea `ohhh…but what a transmitter they would need, the power would be way past anything available in London…'

Hermione looked at him, standing in silence, his hand running through his hair as he thought. She didn't want to interrupt him, he seemed like he was close to an answer, an answer to a question she didn't really understand. She looked about her, they had walked to the Thames, and she could see children out on the boats going on the tour of London. She remembered the tour from when she was young, before the Millennium Dome or the London Eye.

`It'd have to be huge…' he said turning his eyes onto hers `…like hundreds of meters…where could they hide it?'

`What would it look like?' she asked, trying to be helpful.

`A big circle, like a sky satellite dish, just bigger than any that's ever been made' He sounded annoyed, angry even, at why he couldn't work it out. He paused to look at the arm, fear coming into his face `damn…we ain't got long left'

`Till what?' she asked scared, fearing she knew the answer already.

`Till plastic takes over the earth' Harry said looking at her in worry. A fierce determination came into his face like fire `Now where is this Transmitter!' he almost roared this last part in anger.

Hermione watched as he looked around, then she stopped, a smile coming into her face.

`Harry?' Hermione said quietly.

`What?' Harry said annoyed slightly.

`Look at that' she said pointing across the river.

`And?' he said stonily. Hermione just smiled for a few moments pointing at it. `I'm not going on the London Eye…'

At this he stopped, his frown instantly spreading into a huge smile as he looked at the London eye, the largest Ferris wheel in England, the biggest thing you could use as a satellite

`Fantastic Hermione!' Harry said grabbing her into a hug and swinging her around `you're a genius!'

He let go of her and looked at her, a smile of genuine happiness and excitement on his lips.

`Ready to save the world, Hermione?' he said with a wink making Hermione's heart jump slightly, as she nodded he grabbed her hand and led her down to the embankment. He spotted a pothole and pulled her after him. Quickly pulling of the pothole he jumped down, leaving Hermione on the embankment alone, with a huge decision in front of her. If she went down, followed this exciting man named Harry she might save the world and see things she had never seen before but things might go wrong, like they did for Mike. But if she stayed she would miss out on…on…well she didn't know exactly what she'd miss out on, but judging by Harry so far, it'd at least be interesting. There was never any contest.

Jumping down on the ladder she climbed it quickly, reaching the bottom almost instantly.

`I thought you weren't going to come you took so long' Harry said as she reached the bottom, a teasing smile on his lips. She gave him a pretend slap on the arm and indicated she was ready to go.

`So what are we going to do when we find this Plasotarfeese?' Hermione asked, a little scared at his description earlier.

`It's Plastocrese, and we'll try and tell it to leave...' Harry said brightly, but Hermione seemed to think this a little stupid.

`Why would it leave because we told it to?' Hermione asked, the thing seemed to be ready to take London, what could she do.

`No' Harry said simply `I expect it to leave because I told it to'

Hermione stopped in her tracks and looked at him like he was mad, who did he think he was. Harry looked at her and laughed before he withdrew a shiny bottle from his jacket.

`And also because I have this' Harry explained as he handed it to her. As she held it she realized it was nearly freezing, but the liquid inside seemed almost solid `That's a potion I've created, a sort of anti-plastic you might call it…one touch of this and its dead, game over, bye bye'

Hermione looked at him in shock, they were walking into a probable trap to kill a near indestructible monster. She wished she had gone home now. Harry took the bottle from her and slipped it into his pocket. He took her hand once more and led her through a few passage ways for a few minutes, stopping in front of a large open space.

`Wait here' he said simply as he took a step forward.

`Plastocrese!' Harry yelled to the room, Hermione gasped as she saw hundreds of mannequins appear from the wall and floor, sucking up into form from piles of wet plastic on the floor, but Harry seemed to be expecting this, or he was a very good actor `I am Harry Potter and seek an audience under section 5 of the Wizengamot Charter…'

`There is no Wizengamot!' came a loud shrill voice, like the whistle form a train `and no ministry to protect you!'

`So you reject my meeting!' Harry said forcefully, a little too confrontationally Hermione thought, but by the reaction of the mannequins who all took a step back she realized he knew what he was doing.

`We accept' came the piercing voice again, making the hairs on Hermione's neck stand on end.

`Then show yourself' Harry demanded.

Nothing happened for a moment, but then it appeared. A small dripping came from the ceiling, a green like metal liquid coming faster and faster, all landing on the same spot. As the dripping stopped the liquid swirled violently around the floor, seeming to splash violently about, before it stopped and in its place stood something Hermione had never seen before. It was about 3 foot tall, fat and green like a frog, but with only the one limb being used as a leg, and a huge mouth above its three eyes. The strangeness of the creature was evident but what was even more striking was the waxy covering over it, making it obvious it was living plastic. It was more the hideousness of the creature that made her gasp softly, but not because of fear.

`You are Harry Potter?' the creature spoke.

`You know full well I am' he said confidently.

`What do you want, Harry Potter?' The creature said Harry's name like an insult.

`For you to leave London, leave the muggles alone…' Harry said this passionately, but Hermione could tell that it wouldn't work `…Your war is not with them…'

`You're both wrong and right…' the creature said softly, looking around at the room evidently checking for back up. As he didn't spot Hermione the creature nodded, and instantly four of the mannequins grabbed Harry by the arms. Harry was obviously not expecting this to happen and was easily taken, and as Hermione realized how strong the mannequins were she knew he couldn't escape `…We're at war with you too!' the creature said laughing, sounding like a girlish giggly coming from his dripping wide mouth.

`Plastocrese, your making a mistake!' Harry said angrily, struggling unsuccessfully against the mannequins as they dragged him nearer the creature `Leave now and I'll let you live!'

`I think, Harry Potter, that you will…feel… good…' The creature said, in its girlish giggle once more. The creature stopped, tilted his head back and opening its wide mouth. Wide enough to eat a person Hermione realized in fear, and Harry seemed to be the next meal. Before she knew what she was doing she stepped out.

`Plactofeese!' Hermione yelled, instantly every mannequin stopped and Harry was safe, for a few more minutes at least.

`Who are you?' the creature spoke in confusion looking at her.

`I am Hermione Granger…and under section…G of the Gizemgot…' Hermione started to speak as she walked up closer, next to Harry. The creature bellowed with laughter at her words.

`It's Plas-to-crese, Hermione' Harry said looking at her `and I have no idea what you were trying to say with the rest'

`I was trying that whole section thing you said at first' she answered.

`Oh, section 5 of the Wizengamot Charter?' Harry said chuckling `That's a good section'

Hermione couldn't help but laugh softly, amazed at how calm and collected Harry was as he faced imminent death.

`You two shut up!' the creature barked, annoyed at having been ignored and overlooked.

`Sorry' Harry said brightly, annoying the creature even more.

`You will join young Harry potter here as well…and become part of me!' the creature said dramatically.

`Um…' Hermione said this gently turning to look at Harry for an answer `What does that mean?'

`It means…' the creature started but Harry interrupted it.

`You know when I said that when you came in contact with the mannequin that they left a cell residue as they tried cell transference?' Harry asked this casually to her.

`If you say so…' Hermione said this slightly confused, as she only slightly remembered this conversation.

`…anyway…' Harry said exasperated `…Well the Plastocrese here will absorb us, and we become part of plastic like him…pretty nasty way to die by the way' he added this last part like he was explaining that the pub they were going to was rather nice.

`AND…' the creature said loudly again `…you two will…feel…brilliant…'

`I don't think I can do that' Harry said this apologetically.

`What?' the creature said confused, his eyes shooting around like crazy.

`I kinda have an appointment I can't miss, Hermione could you grab my diary, it's the pocket on the left…' Harry said all this quickly and Hermione instantly knew what he meant and made a way to the pocket, fortunately the creature was too confused to react `…my doctor thinks I might have oxbarian flu…of course I don't by the way…and if I did I'd just make a potion…I am good at that…'

Hermione picked the potion from Harry's pocket and looked at it, it was the right one. She uncorked it and waited for a sign.

`…Why, just look at this anti-plastic potion I made…' Harry said signaling Hermione with his head. As soon as he had the mannequins let him go and stepped back rapidly, and if they had faces Hermione knew that fear would be on them, just as it was on the creature.

`Why you…' the creature started but Harry just put his hand up to stop him. He took a moment to turn to her and give her a smile before he took the open bottle from her grip.

`Now will you leave?' Harry said directly to the creature, which was trying to move back on its on leg but failing miserable.

`I wont!' the creature screamed at him.

`If you don't, you won't leave me any choice…' Harry said this a little sad looking at the creature. The creature looked back at him and moments passed. All of a sudden the creature screamed and all the mannequins came running at the pair of them.

`I'm…sorry' Harry said, sorrow etched on his face as he threw the potion at the creature. Instantly all the mannequins stopped dead, all watching the creature shrivel as it screamed in pain. Hermione turned her head and placed it in Harry's chest, tears running down her eyes as she listened to the screaming dying out. Harry stood watching it, running a consoling hand along her back, a motion that calmed her and made her feel safe.

As the last of the screaming died he turned her round and looked at her, a small sad smile on his lips.

`You were fantastic Hermione' he said looking into her eyes. For the first time Hermione realized that he had green eyes, green eyes that were made brighter by the few tears that was in them `Now let me get you home'

And with that he took her hand and led her away.

*

Hermione opened the door to her house, and walked in. She felt like she was in a dream world, a scary world, but a better world. She walked through to the front room, turning round to see Harry behind her.

`So…' Harry said awkwardly `…Thank you for everything…'

`That's ok' she said simply. She just realized that they had never talked before, not when their lives weren't in danger. There were so many questions she wanted to ask.

`You wanna come with me?' Harry said quickly, his eyes looking at his feet. The question almost knocked her down it was so strange.

`Come where?' she said quickly. Harry looked at her and laughed.

`Everywhere and anywhere' he said with a cheeky smile and a wink making her almost blush.

`But why?' Hermione asked looking at him.

`Why not?' he said simply.

`Is it always this dangerous?' Hermione asked nervously.

`Yeah' Harry said happily.

`Hermione, you're ho…' her mother entered the room and looked at the pair of them, quickly followed by James `Oh, you have company'

`Hey Hermione… who's this?' James said strangely, eyeing Harry up and down.

`This is Harry, a friend' Hermione said simply, looking at her mother and her boyfriend `He's just leaving'

She said this softly, unsure of the words she was speaking as they came out, but as they did she knew they were for the best. Harry looked at her sadly, nodded to the other two and left. The bang of the front door almost broke her heart. She knew she'd never see him again.

`Where have you been?' James said coming up and putting an arm around her.

`Nowhere' Hermione said simply, not wanting to tell them the truth.

`I went to the police today, they think you might have a case for compensation' her mother said sitting herself down in front of the television just as the doorbell went `Now, who could that be?'

`I'll get it' Hermione said, thankful for having anything to do.

She slipped out of James' arm and walked out the room towards the door. Harry had been amazing, but how could she leave her life behind, she opened the door and saw…

`Hello, it's me again' Harry said, a smile on his face. Hermione looked at him, amazed at how she could have possibly been missing him already `Did I tell you I also travel in time?'

Hermione looked at him amazed, a huge smile form ear to ear on his face. He held out a hand for her to take, and she knew what she had to do. She couldn't miss this chance twice, and without a look back at her old home she took his hand, and disappeared with him…

*

So that's the opening chapter…hope you liked it…

I know it might read a little rushed in places, but I really needed all of this to happen in one chapter so their journey could start properly, and unless I made this chapter like 20 thousand words or something (which I just detest) I had to cut down parts to fit it in. Hope I didn't do it too bad…the rest will be better paced, hopefully…till next time

Jms Granger


-->