Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

Power and Persecution: Part One

Hermione pushed the door open wildly and cringed slightly as it smashed against the wall, she added this newest misdemeanour to things her mum would get angry at. Top of her list would obviously be disappearing for two weeks, but she knew her mum would have to add in this as well.

`Who's that!' she heard her mother call loudly `I'll let you know I'm not defenceless!'

`Just me, mum' she called back, allowing Harry through the door and shutting it behind him.

`Hermione!' her mother screamed in disbelief, followed by a large crash of whatever she had been holding and the sound of her rushing through the small flat, banging several items as she usually did along the way.

Hermione had a moment to look around and see how little things had changed in the two weeks she had been away, except now she was here with all these amazing memories and an amazing man beside her who was grinning wickedly.

`Hermione!' her mum wailed as she threw her arms around her, shocking Hermione to stillness at the over the top greeting. As quickly as her mothers arms had sprung around her they had broken the hug `It's him!'

As quick as lightning her mother had pushed her out of the way and seemed to be attacking Harry, slapping him anywhere she could, Harry meanwhile tried to block the slaps by throwing his arms up over his head and crouching slightly. Hermione would have usually found this funny, but not this time.

`Mum, stop it!' she shouted as she tried to stop her mother but failing miserable.

`Get him, Hermione!' she shouted as she carried on her onslaught against a shocked Harry. She had seen this man face baying mobs and ghosts but had never seen him lose the ability of movement before like he seemed to have now.

`Stop!' Hermione screamed at the top of her lungs, which seemed to do the trick as both stopped mid pose to stare at her.

`What?' her mother said confused, like trying to batter Harry was completely normal behaviour, while Harry stood up and took a step back.

`More like what the hell was that!' Harry said annoyed looking at her mother in complete shock.

`You know what that was for!' her mother said angrily at him before.

`That you're crazy? Mad? A raving lunatic!' Harry shook his head at her and took a step closer to Hermione in an attempt to stop her mother launching another attack.

`You're the crazy one!' she said.

`Nuh-huh' Harry said not smiling.

`Are too!' she replied quickly.

`Both of you stop your bickering!' Hermione shouted again in exasperation at there actions `what is going on?'

`See' Harry said triumphantly `She's on my side'

`No she's not!' her mother answered back quickly.

`I'm on neither of your sides!' Hermione said annoyed, these two were becoming unbearable. Both didn't reply and looked slightly abashed at her words so she carried on `now, mother, tell me why you just attacked Harry?'

`He kidnapped you!' she said indignantly.

`I did not!' Harry shot back at her.

`Don't start this again!' Hermione said warningly `Mother, Harry didn't kidnap me'

`But…' her mother started to interrupt her but she carried on.

`I left with him' Hermione said. Her mother gasped slightly and threw a hand up to her mouth.

`Why?' she said breathlessly.

`It's only been two weeks' Hermione said looking at her mother like she had gone slightly crazy.

`It's been six months!' her mum said.

`Not too far out then?' Harry said brightly to Hermione who scowled back at him.

`And that's not what I meant!' her mother said nastily `I thought he had…I thought you were dead!'

`Why did you think I was dead?' Hermione asked, two months wasn't really long enough to give up hope even if they had thought she had been kidnapped.

`Because the police said you would be!' her mother squealed, she looked at Hermione for a moment and then threw herself into a hug `Thank god you're alive! Thank you!'

`Mum…' she said a little awkwardly as she hugged back, her mum seemed to be getting upset and Hermione knew if she carried on she wouldn't be able to stop her `Come through to the living room' she said gently and started to lead her. Thankfully her mum allowed her to and Hermione led her to the large couch, sitting down beside her and holding her hand as Harry entered behind them.

`Why did you say the police had told you Hermione would be dead?' Harry said lightly like he was just trying to make general conversation as he looked around the living room looking at things, he had a photo of her from school in his hand and smiled `that's nice!' and put the photo back down.

`Because they came round the next morning and told me' she said hotly before turning to Hermione and saying `The forms for your compensation came through…I didn't have the heart to throw them out'

Hermione laughed at this and said `You and that compensation!'

`You shouldn't laugh at it' her mother said as she nodded knowingly `Tina got two thousand because the man in the shop said she looked Greek…the fact that she is Greek is besides the point…but it's a lot of money'

`Hang on' Harry said interrupting her mothers' speech, he had now sat down in a large one person couch and seemed a little uncomfortable. Hermione however had to suppress a slight giggle as she saw Harry Potter, time travelling hero sitting down in a stereotypical old person brown couch. Harry leaned forward and asked `they told you the next morning that Hermione would be dead?'

`Just as I said' her mother replied before turning back to Hermione `now that compensa…'

`Sorry to keep interrupting' Harry said with complete bewilderment in his voice `but they don't do that'

`You calling me a liar?' her mother snapped.

`Its just the police don't say that after one single night' Harry said looking at her like she had turned simple minded suddenly.

`Well they did' she said pointedly `They said that you're a known killer and Hermione would already be dead'

`Sorry, what did you say?' Harry stood there in eye wide shock.

`That Hermione would…' she started to explain.

`The other part' Harry said quickly.

`That you were a known murderer' she said looking disapprovingly at him.

`That's impossible' Harry said quietly as he stood up slowly `completely and utterly impossible'

`But you always say that nothings impossible' Hermione asked a little confused.

`And I've meant it every time' Harry said laughing slightly as he walked up and down before the electric fire before them `But this? This is impossible!'

`No its not!' her mother said standing up and walking to the kitchen.

`She's not gone to get something to hit me with again, has she?' Harry groaned as he looked at Hermione who couldn't help but chuckle.

`I think you're safe for the time being' she said honestly as she watched her mother walk in back in through the door with a paper in her hand. She handed it to Harry who looked down interestingly at it.

`There all like that' her mother said sitting back down on the couch beside Hermione `been like it for months'

`Oh Damn!' Harry said slightly annoyed `That's a terrible photo!'

He waved the photo at Hermione who briefly saw that a full page close up photo of Harry was on the front cover of the Daily Mirror.

`What's it about?' Hermione asked standing up to try and look at it, but Harry was reading it quickly.

`How I'm a terrorist' Harry said brightly `never been called a terrorist before!'

`But why do they think that?' Hermione asked confused.

`According to this I blew up your job' Harry said which made Hermione smile as it was in fact the truth`... but also I'm responsible for drug trafficking, piracy ring, high house prices and…oh say that's not true!'

`It is' her mother said knowingly without even hearing what it was.

`But that show was sooo good!' Harry said slightly distraught.

`Did you see the one where the bear got locked out all night so he tried to…' he mother said.

`Break through the window but got stuck!' Harry finished for his mother as both laughed at it.

`What are you two talking about?' Hermione asked.

`They say I got Bear and me cancelled!' Harry had stopped laughing and looked indignant.

`Who cares?' Hermione said but both of them looked accosted by the idea `I mean compared to the rest?' they both still looked disbelieving so she just shrugged and changed her topic `Why are they saying all this stuff about you?'

`The better question is how' Harry said with a smile.

`What do you mean?' Hermione asked.

`I'm not that easy to track down, Hermione' he said quickly `I have no record of my surname in the world, and I hardly even say it, but here it is planted across the front page of a national newspaper'

`Some one got lucky?' Hermione asked hopefully.

`No way, not possible, not this lucky' Harry said shaking his head `and the explosion at your shop, no proof of that exists, I made damn sure of that one!'

`Are you sure it's not just someone's entire luck in one scoop?' Hermione asked again.

`Hermione' he said stopping mid step and looking at her `I have ways to conceal things, you see the cloaking device with the Ford Anglia'

`But you weren't invisible that night, I was there' Hermione pointed out.

`Invisible?' her mother said `What's this about, Hermione?'

`We have a very simple charm that makes people become distracted, confused, rush away when they get near a building or place…' Harry started to explain in his usual quick speaking manner `…or, and this is the important one, make a place unplotable, it's a very standard spell. Well, me being the absolute genius that I am…'

`And awfully modest too' Hermione added smiling.

`…I was bored one night and wondered what else you could make unplotable. I had this idea of creating the greatest game of hide and seek with unplotable items, 2 teams of 12 and a set of dragons, one for each team, and they would...'

`Harry' Hermione said nudging him slightly to get him back on track.

`Oh yeah' Harry said apologetically `anyway, to cut a short story I made long back to short, people cant take my photo, draw me or write my name…although with a modified Fidelius charm I can directly let people, or the people I've told can let others, or those people can…well you get the idea, a snow ball effect'

`Why do you let the people you've told pass it on?' Hermione asked curiously at this hole in his security.

`Have you ever been to a party and have to introduce yourself every single time you speak to anyone' Harry asked to which Hermione nodded her reply `well my whole life ended up being like that! So I modified it slightly'

`So how are you on the paper?' Hermione asked.

`More like what the hell are you two talking about?' her mother said and both of them looked at her suddenly having forgotten she was in the room.

`Um…' Hermione said `Harry's a…wizard'

`This boy here is a wizard?' her mother said strained, like she was waiting for the punch line. Harry whipped out his wand and made a glass, full to the brim of what Hermione thought must be wine.

`Guilty as charged' Harry said beaming at her.

`You two are mad' her mother said taking the glass from him and looking at it `can you make as much wine as you want'

`Pretty much' Harry smiled at her.

`You two are mad!' she said again before taking a swig `like how much wine?'

`Enough' Harry replied rolling his eyes. His mother looked at him, and Hermione could see she believed it somehow, but was just having difficulty accepting it.

`Carry on, Harry' she said leaving her mother to her thoughts. Harry just looked at her in confusion so she spoke again `you were talking about how you could be on this paper'

`Exactly' Harry said grinning triumphantly `the fact is I can't'

`So no one can ever take your photo, draw you or get your name unless their told by you or someone you've told?' Hermione asked, somehow the idea sounded a little creepy to her.

`Yes…well kinda' Harry said uncertainly.

What does kinda mean?' Hermione said narrowing her eyes.

`It mean's kind off' Harry said laughing as he started to walk back and forth again.

`You know that's not what I meant' Hermione said.

`Ok, kind of means that about 0.0003% of the population of the world can' Harry said confidently.

`Why 0.0003?' she asked.

`Various reasons' Harry said `Like the persons powerful enough like me, or just a complete freak accident…The system I've made isn't fool proof'

`Why haven't you made it unbreakable?' Hermione asked.

`Because that takes a lot of time and effort, and if they can break what I've already made then I have bigger problems than them knowing my name' Harry explained, not breaking his constant walking back and forth.

`So we're in trouble!' Hermione asked, knowing she would regret the question. Harry stopped mid step and looked at her, a huge grin on his face.

`Exactly!' he almost shouted.

`So what's the game plan?' Hermione said, stepping up close to him and ready for action.

`You can't go yet!' her mother said standing up angrily.

`I have to' Hermione said impatiently, ready to hear another one of Harry's crazy yet brilliant plan.

Actually, and I can't believe I'm about to say this' Harry said with a little shudder `but your mothers right'

`Oi!' her mum said annoyed.

`What do you mean?' Hermione said confused.

`You're going to have to stay here' Harry said with a consoling smile.

`No way!' Hermione said, throwing her hands onto her hips.

`I don't mean it for your safety!' Harry said throwing his head back I laughter `I mean I'm going to need a little bit of time in the Ford Anglia to work out how this has happened'

Hermione looked at him and knew he was being honest but still didn't like the idea of leaving him on his own, He was just about crazy enough that if she did he could get himself into real trouble.

`How long is a little while?' she asked.

`Probably…' Harry said as he looked at his watch `…2 days'

`And you got that from a watch?' her mother said suspiciously.

`It's not a normal watch' Harry said leaning forward to show her the face `It's a Rolex!' Harry added laughing and turning to walk away.

`See you in two days, Hermione, Mrs. Granger' Harry said waving `Be…Fantastic!'.

`Hurry' Hermione said, that being the only word she could think at the time.

She watched as he left the room and felt a sinking feeling come into her stomach, a feeling that something bad was coming, that only intensified when she heard the front door slam shut. She looked after him for a few moments before she felt her mum take her hand and she allowed herself to be led to a chair, where she threw herself down. She caught herself looking longingly at the clock, already counting down the time till the two days were up.

`EastEnders is on in a little while, I'll make tea so we can eat with it' she said softly, but Hermione didn't look up at her.

`I don't know' she said shrugging, the idea didn't exactly get her heart pumping `I think I'm going to go for a walk'

`You can't' she said, a little streak of panic in her voice.

`Why not?' she asked, completely thrown by both her mums' words as well as the tone of voice.

`Because of scenario 3' her mother said.

`Scenario what?' Hermione said completely confused, but her mother smiled suddenly and laughed as she sat back down next to her.

`I forgot how long you had been away for!' her mother said as she sat forward on the couch to get comfortable `The government have issued all these new laws, drago impedia and bad wolf…it's because of all these health scares, but you wouldn't know about that, would you!

`Mum' Hermione said sitting up in concentration `what health scares?'

`Oh loads of stuff!' she said `started just after you left…all neutons and…explotons…well, it's all science talk and I cant make out a single thing from that language…but the government say it's bad, so bad the army have all been called in'

`So why can't I go outside?' Hermione said worried at all of the words her mother spoke.

`Because it starts at 7' she said brightly.

`Mother, what starts exactly?' Hermione said.

Her mother looked at her for a moment before speaking softly `Enforced curfew'.

`What the hell?' Hermione said loudly as she stood up. She had only been gone for 6 months and suddenly a curfew was put in place

`There's a lot of them' her mother said shaking her head `we're allowed to work from 8 till 6, and go shopping till 7, then we have to be indoors, and electricity is stopped at 8' she said all this before adding as a happy afterthought `It starts again at 7 though!'

Hermione couldn't believe what she was hearing, the world had gone mad in just 6 months.

`So everyone wakes at 7, work at 8, finish at 6, home for 7 and bed at 8?' Hermione asked incredulously.

`Um…' her mother looked upwards as she thought through the question `Yep. Well except for the MPs obviously, but they have important work to do'

`The MPs aren't affected by these laws?' Hermione said, eyes wide in shock at every new piece of information she received `Labour did this?

`Not Labour, they lost the election in a landslide' her mother said standing up and walking towards the kitchen.

`So who won?' Hermione asked `not the Tories?'

`Nah' her mother called `they've been banned'

`So who did win?' Hermione demanded a little panicky, but the answer she got was a word she had never heard before.

`The Slytherins'

*

Hey, hope you liked that… A good start? A good premise? What do you think? Let me know…

Jms Granger.


-->