Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

Bad Wolf: Part One

`Do you really need all these clothes?' Harry said incredulously as he pulled two large suit cases over his shoulders `And how can you get through so many in just a month or so?'

`Because someone, not to mention any names…' Hermione teased as she walked up the path, her mothers' house standing ready to welcome her back from her travels with warmth and love `keeps on taking us to sunken towns… or Pompeii in volcano season… or Wales!'

`I always seem to stay clean' Harry said with a little grin that made her stick her tongue out at him.

For the last month things had gone brilliantly, with the majority of their visits ending with just plain and simple fun where very few, if any, people were trying to kill them or destroy the planet. They had really just been like any other youngsters travelling and laughing, with just a hint of heroics thrown into the mix.

Hermione dropped the suitcase with a loud thud as she reached the door.

`I guess I'll be carrying that one too' Harry teased.

`Well, it wouldn't be very gentlemanly of you if you didn't' Hermione joked as she rang the door bell.

`Hang on one moment, Pete' she heard her mother call. Harry gave her a quizzical look at the name Pete, but Hermione had a guess of who she meant.

The door swung open and a smile lit up on her mothers' face, only visible for a moment before she sprung forward to catch Hermione in a bone breaking hug.

`Oh, I've missed you!' her mother yelled as she rocked back and forwards before she broke the hug and looked at Harry `and you too!'

And then, for the first time where harm wasn't meant, her mother embraced Harry, kissing him roughly on the cheek as she broke from the hug.

`Come in, you two' her mother said as she turned and walked into the house, leaving Harry staring after her dumbstruck `you'll catch yourself a death of cold'

Hermione followed her mother chuckling to herself, evidently her mother had finally embraced Harry and now saw him as family. She had seen the same thing happen to James all those years back, first she hated and didn't trust him, but after time he became one of her `extended family'. She guessed that in her mothers eyes Harry had finally proven himself.

`So, Pete?' Hermione teased as she entered the living room, noticing that her mother looked away slightly.

`What of him?' her mother said nonchalantly.

`Been seeing much of him?' Hermione said `I only ask because you seemed to be expecting him?'

`He was coming round to fix the pipes' her mother said as she sat down in her favourite chair, Hermione sat down beside her. Thankful for being back she relaxed.

`Is that what you kids call it these days?' Harry said as he struggled into the room carrying three suitcases full of clothes.

`Never mind you what anyone calls it!' her mother said in a mock strict voice `don't want you getting any sorts of ideas in your head while you're travelling with my daughter!'

`Mum…' Hermione groaned, and even though Harry and her mother both laughed at the joke she couldn't help but feel embarrassed. She wondered if parents embarrassing their children would ever stop being a universal fact and made a mental note to check that when they started travelling again.

`So how long are you two back this time?' her mother asked Harry. He had definitely become one of her `extended family'.

`A few days' Harry said with a smile.

`Been anywhere nice?'

`A few places' Harry answered noncommittally.

`We went to the opening of the Great Wall of China' Hermione said impressively.

`Tina went in the summer with her compensation money for that man calling her Greek…' her mother said simply `she didn't think much of it'

Suddenly a large crash echoed throughout the room making Harry spring to his feet, his wand snapped out as a deafening hammering came raining down on the front door.

`What the hell?' her mother said annoyed standing up.

`Let me get it' Harry said forcefully.

`You sit down, love' her mother said shaking her head as she wandered out of the living room, leaving Harry looking bewildered once again.

`You're mother might be getting nicer' Harry said groaning as he looked at Hermione `but she sure is still mental!'

`Its only James' her mother called which was the words that made Harry drop back into his chair.

`And he brought a friend' her mother said cheerily.

`Ron?' Hermione said confused `I mean, sit down'

`I'll get us all some tea' her mother said, shooting Hermione a puzzled look.

`You have to come with us' Ron said instantly like a soldier `Albus' orders'

`We having tea' Harry said shaking his head and stretching out slightly. Hermione knew that the very worse word to use with Harry was said. Orders.

`Trust me, Harry' James said earnestly `you're going to want to see this…'

`I'm more interested in seeing Tina's photos of the Great Wall of China' Harry said shrugging.

`Tina?' James said momentarily baffled before recovering `she didn't like it so didn't take any'

`Maybe she has some nice snaps of the hillside then?' Harry said hopefully.

`Nope' James said shaking his head `just a lot of a Chinese guy she had a…thing…with. And trust me, you don't want to see them'

`Can you two shut up and pleas come with us?' Ron said angrily.

`With a tone like that I'm not going to do either' Harry said looking at Ron in disgust.

`Then I wont tell you what's so important' Ron snapped back.

`good!' Harry said brightly turning to James `so what's wrong with the photos of that Tina's…'

`Albus has found it' Ron snapped hastily, instantly stopping Harry in his tracks.

Harry looked at Ron carefully for several long moments before h slowly stood up and walked over to him.

`You better not be lying' Harry said menacingly `for your sake'

And without another word Harry walked out of the room and evidently out of the house.

Hermione sprung up quickly and ran into the kitchen, seeing her mother trying to balance 5 cups of tea in her two hands.

`I'm sorry' Hermione said taking two of the cups of her and placing them on the side `I've got to go'

`Where?' her mother said `you just got back!'

`I'll be back later' Hermione said kissing her on the cheek, but as she turned away her mother took her arm.

`Every time you come back you stay for shorter' her mother said quietly `soon you'll leave and never come back'

`And miss your cups of tea?' Hermione joked lamely, giving her mother another kiss, she turned on her heel and ran from the house to catch Harry up.

She was desperate to find out what was happening, but another thought occupied her mind. Her mother was right. One day she would never return.

*

The four of them, her, Harry, James and Ron, had all shared a particularly uncomfortable silence filled taxi journey. The only thing that broke the monotony was the fact that throughout it Harry and Ron constantly exchanged dangerous looks at each other.

All in all Hermione was glad that it was over, and now strolling down thee corridors together she felt the familiar buzz of adrenaline that told her an adventure was on its way. And, judging by the look of concentration on Harry's face, this was a big one.

`This is where I leave you' James said as they reached a door.

`Why?' Hermione asked, wishing that he would stay with them, if only for a friendly face.

`I…' James said uncertainly `I don't like it in there…besides I have things to do'

`Ok' Hermione said uncertainly, and with a small wink James walked off down the corridor, and back of to work.

Ron gave the two of them a knowing look and used his wand to open the large metal doors in front of them, and all three stepped forward. Hermione followed Harry into the room and saw that it was lined with hundreds of steps on all sides, dropping downwards like a Roman Amphitheatre, but completely surrounded. Around the top of the stairs stood a few men, all large and each of them with wand in hand. And in the middle of the room, at the bottom of the steps, was a simple, plain Archway. A black cloth lying motionless over the front.

Hermione was just about to ask what was happening when Harry stepped forward and caught her eye. His whole body was tensed as he stood still staring at the Archway, his eyes were narrow as he watched it closely, as if expecting the object to grow legs and run away.

`Oh my god…' Harry said breathlessly, his voice no more than whisper. And before Hermione could speak again he bounded forward, jumping three or four steps at a time, stopping a centimetre short of the black cloth.

Hermione followed him, hoping down the steps as fast as her legs could carry her, but as she reached the bottom Harry held out a hand to stop her from coming any closer to it.

Harry stared into her eyes as he put a hand up to his lips, indicating her to be silent. And slowly he moved his head closer to the black veil, his ear poised as if to listen to it.

`Can you hear that?' Harry said, a sparkle going of like fireworks behind his bright green eyes.

Hermione copied Harry, feeling her heart pumping as she placed her ear closer to the archway.

`No…' Hermione said uncertainly `I don't hear anything'

`Exactly!' Harry said with a slightly maniacal grin as he sprung back away from it, grabbing Hermione's hand and pulling her up the steps back towards Albus by the entrance. Harry was now speaking feverishly fast and he was slightly hurting her as he pulled her too fast `I was right! It must have been cut off! It's the only explanation'

`What is going on?' Hermione asked as she pulled her arm free of Harry's grasp and rubbed it softly.

`No time to explain!' Harry said brightly as he approached Albus.

`I trust that you're glad you came?' Albus asked gently as he looked from Harry to the archway and back again.

`Glad?' Harry said throwing his head back and laughing loudly into the air `try delighted! Elated! Euphoric! A Permanent resident up on cloud seven!'

`What's with all this?' Hermione asked, she was worried at how strange Harry was being. Well, stranger anyway `you want to decorate the Anglia?'

`Not at all…' Harry said softly as he looked back at it longingly `this Archway is perhaps the most dangerous thing in the world…'

`What?' Hermione laughed incredulously but she could tell from the exchange of looks between Ron and Albus that Harry was right. `What is it?'

`That is the million pound question with all your lifelines gone!' Harry said staring at the archway again `and a question I can't answer…'

`Then why do you think it's so dangerous?' Hermione asked puzzled.

`Because Hermione, dear sweet Hermione' Harry said placing a hand on her shoulder `because I know what it does…'

`What does it do?' Hermione asked nervously, she could feel her stomach swirling with nerves. Harry may be dramatic, but he didn't lie, so if he said this was dangerous, then it was.

`I…' Harry said looking straight into her eyes `I…I'll show you…soon'

`I don't know about that' Ron said interrupting.

`What?' Harry said baffled.

`If its as dangerous as you say, and as important as we suspect it to be' Ron said steadying himself against Harry's scornful look `then we cant let unauthorized people near it'

`And I count as unauthorized?' Harry said turning to Albus, who just looked at him and slowly nodded. Harry suddenly laughed and said `You can't stop me'

`You would fight us to get to it?' Ron said incredulously.

`I would fight the whole world' Harry said low and strong `and I'd win'

`Harry, we know we can't stop you' Albus said softly stepping forward closer to Harry `your more powerful than we could dream of being…but your being rash, your moving too fast'

`Albus' Harry said caringly `I've been waiting for this for five years. Before I met Hermione I travelled alone, and all I ever did was think of this, plan what I'd do, hope that the day would come when I would find myself before the archway'

`Think of the life you have built here' Albus said passionately `think of the people who rely on you… we rely on you!'

`You'll cope…' Harry said with sorrow in his voice `the 21st century is when everything changes…and you're ready for it…'

`Think of Hermione!' Albus begged, his voice pleading with Harry.

`What about me?' she snapped instantly.

`Could you leave her?' Albus said still looking into Harry's eyes `could you hurt her…as you know she will be…'

`We've coped with many things and always come through' Harry said, his voice sounded uncertain but he flashed her a look and his bright green eyes told her to have faith, that he was her Harry and always would be.

`Everywhere we go we could be hurt' Hermione said smiling at Harry `and standing side by side and working together, we make it through'

`Always have and always will' Harry grinned.

`The Golden Duo' Hermione added which Harry gave a simple nod to, the pair of them watching each other eyes closely, lost in the moment.

`I see you've made your decision' Albus said, his voice sounding broken and defeated.

`Albus, you can't be thinking of letting them…' Ron said angrily.

`Even if you can't see it, Ron, I can' Albus said sadly `now we have brought the archway to Harry he wont stop…it's my mistake…'

`Than k you' Harry said gently `I'll be back in one hour'

`Where are we going?' Hermione asked curiously as she took Harry's hand in preparation for apparition.

`Back to the Anglia' Harry said brightly `we need a few things…'

Harry pulled her gently towards him, swivelling the pair of them slightly as he did, but then he stopped.

`And one last thing' Harry said turning back to face Ron `if you try anything to stop me, then I'll kill you'

And Hermione was left with Harry's threat ringing through her ears as she was pulled into the squeeze of appirition, wondering what had just happened. Wondering if the archway was Pandora's box, and just what would happen when Harry opened it.

*

Hey, hope you liked that…I'm updating the next chapter next. This was very much just a set-up, necessary but slightly dull in my opinion, the next one is when things REALLY start! And I can promise you fireworks with it! But if you want me to update as quickly as humanly possible, please review! It's coming to the end and I want to hear what you think of this story while I still have the chance…

Also, a lot of people seemed to have missed chapter 32-37 and jumped straight to Hermione's epilogue? If you missed the adventure in renaissance Florence where Hermione becomes a `model', then I suggest you go back and read it…especially as I really liked that one!

Now turn to the next chapter…(after reviewing!)

Jms Granger…


-->