Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

Bad Wolf: Part Seven

The smile deepened on Hermione's face into the glimmer of hope. Perhaps it was false hope, and only the tiniest hint even at that, but she was willing to hold onto anything at this very moment.

She looked down at the Pensieve, the grey silver fog floated casually in the machine like nothing had happened. Pausing for a moment, just half a second, she lowered her hand quickly into the substance, closing her eyes instinctively.

She expected to feel a pull, or some sort of pain, but all that flooded over her body was a cool light sensation as her cells tingled softly.

It wasn't in there.

She pulled her hand out and the tingling stopped with it. She grabbed the side of the pensieve and spun around it, looking for some sort of a clue, but the thing appeared to be nothing but solid stone. She lowered down towards the floor and looked around the base, but yet again it ended in a dead end.

She slowly stood up and took a step back to look at the pensieve again. What would Harry do? She strolled slowly around the machine, pausing every few steps in order to examine something slightly closer. Before she knew it she had done a full circle and was no closer to finding anything that might help her.

Harry had once said that he used the pensieve for ease, so his thoughts could control the device with ease. Harry had gone into battle with the device, so it couldn't be the pensieve itself, so it must contain the device somewhere in it.

She tried to calm herself down, to think rationally and work out what else she did know about it. And then it felt like a light switch had been turned on inside herself.

Harry controlled this with his thoughts…

Hermione lowered her hand once again into the Pensieve and felt the cool light sensation over her skin once again as she tried to concentrates on her thoughts.

I need the device…

Nothing happened, so she tried a different approach.

I need the device that Harry built…

Still nothing happened, but she was sure that she was on the right track, so she tried again.

I need the device that teleports us through time and space…I need the portkey and timeturner thing…portkey and timeturner combined…I NEED THE GODDAM DEVICE!!!

The coolness still floated over her skin and nothing had appeared. Anger was starting to flood over her. She needed to get back quickly as she had no idea what Harry would do without her. True, he had a different Hermione, but she didn't…

And then Hermione realized what she had missed.

I need the device that Hermione built…

As soon as she thought the words she felt a cold hard metallic object seemingly drop from somewhere and land in her hand. As she withdrew it instantly she was amazed at what she saw.

Resting in her hand was what appeared to be a necklace, with the amulet something like a turnable sand piece. But now was definitely not the time for being amazed.

She pushed the device into her pocket. She had the first piece of her plan, now for the second.

`I'm ready' Harry said blinking in the light.

`Are you sure you want to do this?' Hermione said, tears had already filled her eyes.

`Although it's not at the very top of the list on the ways I like to spend and afternoon…' Harry said brightly, he was trying to calm his heart as he strolled up to her. He was walking into who knew what and he needed a calm mind and heart. He added brightly as he took her hand `It'll do!'

He started to pull her until he fell into step next to him.

And he walked out of the door towards his battle. Towards his fate. Towards his death.

He walked through the large doors and into the corridor, his mind reeling as quickly as humanly possible. Possible spells, ways to use his knowledge of the void and maneuvers he had picked up fighting every fowl creature in the other world sprang to mind.

`What are we going to do?' Hermione asked, her voice sounding more controlled as battle approached.

Harry stopped and waved his wand over his head.

`I just lowered the wards over this place' Harry said with a smile.

`What?' Hermione said panicky.

`I need Voldemort to come here' Harry said brightly as he took her hand and led her down the corridor. He didn't know where he was walking, but he often found that just a stroll helped him to think.

`Come here?' Hermione said disbelievingly.

`Yeah' Harry said joyfully `I can't fight him in public where bystanders get hurt, and this place is just as good as any other'

`I guess that makes some sense' Hermione said looking at him with a small smile `plus we have what the Americans say is the home court advantage'

`Hermione Granger has knowledge of popular culture!' Harry said laughing `I never thought I'd see the day!'

`A lot has changed since you've been away' Hermione said with a grin.

`Evidently so' Harry said smiling. He had missed her so much in the last five years and wished he had more time just to chat and catch up.

`After all this we can go away and you can find out' Hermione said as they turned around and started to walk back the way they had come.

`A romantic getaway might just be what I need' Harry said thinking out loud.

`Romantic?' Hermione said stopping in her tracks.

`Can you accept that as a verbal slip up?' Harry said looking at her.

`Um…' Hermione said uncertainly.

`Don't forget to add in that it came from a man who was just about to die' Harry said as he took her hand and started to walk back down the corridor again. Hermione didn't speak again straight away and when she did her voice seemed lower and more frightened.

`Don't say that'

Before Harry could reply he felt a disturbance in the air around him. He whipped out his wand, impressed with how quick Voldemort had been, and listened carefully for some sort of trace of the intruder, be it sound or magic.

`Harry!' Ron's voice screamed throughout the house making Harry put his wand back in his pocket and look down the corridor.

`In here' Harry called back as brightly as he could.

He watched as Ron came stumbling into round the corner, blood was spilling down his face and his lips were bleeding heavily. Hermione, letting go of Harry's hand instantly, ran to him and jumped into his arms, planting her bushy hair into his chest.

`The wards are down!' Ron said as he slowly disentangled himself from Hermione.

`I know' Harry said with a chuckle `and soon Voldemort will know, and then he'll come here for me…'

`But that's…' Ron started.

`This war is between us, and we need to finish it before anyone else gets hurt' Harry said forcefully, his mind half on the Dark Lords impending arrival the other half on the petite frame of Hermione that stood next to Ron. He looked steely at Harry for a few moments as if ready to argue, before he slowly breathed out and shook his head slightly.

`We're defending London and we seem to be winning' Ron reported.

`What about the rest of the world?' Hermione asked quickly.

`I… I'm not sure' Ron said gulping slightly.

`What do you know?' Harry asked.

`Wizards are flocking the streets of wherever they live, fighting for all they have…' Ron started `the muggles are fighting to…but the civilians are caught in the middle across the world…'

`What's the toll?' Harry asked slowly.

`Its…Well…' Ron said blinking slightly in shock as he processed the words he was about to say `Millions'

Hermione raised her hands to her face, her mouth open in shock at the figures Ron had said, but Harry wasn't surprised. Voldemort had been planning this for a year now, had men on every continent, and was launching a full out offensive of the likes the world had never seen.

`You get back to the fighting' Harry said quickly.

`I can't leave you' Ron said shaking his head angrily `not with you-know-who coming!'

`Don't be a plonker all your life, Ron' Harry said rolling his eyes `I'm a grown man, I can look after myself'

`But the more help the better, right?' Ron asked hopefully.

`Ron, millions are dying' Harry said sadly `your one of the best fighters, without you millions more might lose their lives than necessary'

`But what about Hermione' Ron said shooting her a nervous glance `is she coming with me?'

`No' Harry said shaking his head.

`Why not?' Ron asked, his face pinking slightly in anger.

`A million good reasons that I haven't got the time to go into' Harry replied hoping it sounded like he wasn't lying, because the truth was he just wanted her beside him.

`Give me one' Ron said steely faced.

`I helped him build the device' Hermione interrupted, Harry was very thankful because it was a lot better than his because I said so reply he had planned. `and it might come in helpful again'

`I guess so…' Ron said looking down at Hermione.

Harry had realized that Ron's crush on Hermione would live on for a while, but he hadn't expected it to still be going five years later. Still, he knew how it felt to be in love with Hermione.

`Can you protect her?' Ron asked looking straight into Harry's eyes.

Harry didn't know what to say as he knew the truth wasn't an option. He knew he'd die trying, but Harry also knew the chances of the world seeing another day was slim. If Harry lost, which was more than likely, then Voldemort would surely kill all of his friends, with Hermione and Ron at the top of that list.

`Ron' Harry said as forcefully as he could as he grabbed his shoulders in both of his hands `I promise I'll look after her. I promise no harm will come to her…I promise…'

`I…' Ron said nodding `I believe you'

`We have to hurry, Ron' Hermione said as she pulled on his arm.

Ron looked at the two of them, before turning on his heel and apparating back to the fight.

Harry wished more than anything that he'd see his old friend again. That some time in the future they would be able to sit around and laugh together like the old days. But he knew that wasn't a realistic wish.

`Let's go back to the Archway room' Harry said taking Hermione's hand.

`Why there?' Hermione asked as they started to walk towards it.

`Then we can make your lie to Ron seem slightly believable' Harry said laughing.

`And what does that matter?' Hermione said rolling her eyes.

`Because if he believes that, then he might believe our vacation is purely platonic!' Harry laughed again as he answered `you've never been to Paris, have you?'

`I went during our third year summer!' Hermione said sounding offended.

`I know that' Harry said throwing his head back as he laughed `I meant Paris 1789…during La Revolution!'

`That's your idea of romance?' Hermione said with a wink `I have a lot to teach you…'

Hermione pulled the door to the Anglia open and stepped through. Her heart was beating out of her chest as she scanned the room expecting no one to be there, but instead she saw Albus Dumbledore standing there as if the were waiting patiently for her to come back out.

`I hope your feeling better, Miss Granger' Albus said with a caring smile as she stepped forward and halved the space between them.

Hermione nodded excitedly as she pulled the device out and handed it the old man before her, a wide smile on her face on contrast to his frown.

`You can't get back' Albus said suddenly as he looked up at Hermione `even with this miraculous device'

`But…' Hermione stuttered.

`Harry had this device the whole time but he had to find the archway first…' Albus explained as he handed it back to her `if you use this all that will happen is you will tear through this world to another point in its time and space'

`But we have the archway' Hermione stuttered again.

`And it's been disconnected' Albus said shaking his head sadly `there is no way to get you into the void for you to be able to use that device'

`You must be able to open it?' Hermione asked hopefully.

`I had it for two months and tried everyday' Albus said sadly `I just don't have the knowledge, and I fear that my heart may have let me down as well'

`What do you mean?' Hermione asked curiously.

`I fear this device' Albus said looking at it `I fear what will become of us because of it…I believe subconsciously I stopped myself from opening it…'

`Then if you can't be bothered to do it…' Hermione shot angrily `I'll tear a whole in this world to get there!

`No you won't' Albus said softly as he placed a hand on her shoulder `you could never do that to James or your mother…to anyone for that matter, let alone a whole world'

Hermione looked up at him ready to argue but she knew he was right. She would never be able to harm people just because her will needed it, and even if she could she would lose Harry even more.

She slowly closed her eyes and ran her hands across her temples as she tried to ease the headache from exploding in her head. There must be another way around this that she was missing, Harry had taught her so. All she needed to do was to find this strand of hope and pull on it.

Hermione breathed softly, trying to calm her mind as slowly a song seemed to appear in the room and as she opened her eyes she saw a familiar sight.

`Fawkes' she said with a smile as she lowered down to the floor to stroke him. He was singing a beautiful song which seemed both happy and sad at the same time. Calmness was spreading over herself slowly and she knew it was him `thanks'

Fawkes looked up at her with what seemed to be a smile, and then its eyes turned to the archway and stopped. Tears flooded its eyes as it stared at the silent, unmoving archway.

`He's fighting' Hermione said stroking the bird `he's fighting for his world, for our world…for all the worlds…'

Fawkes slowly looked up at Hermione, a puzzled look on its face which let her know that he understood.

`I wish I could be there with him' Hermione said stroking the bird even more `but Albus cant open the archway…only Harry could…'

The bird looked back at the archway, the tears had stopped flowing and it looked purposefully at it before snapping back to her.

`I don't understand?' Hermione said softly.

Fawkes repeated the motion, first looking at the archway and then at her, as if desperate for her to understand his charades.

`It's closed of…' Hermione said shaking her head but Fawkes kept repeating it, as if desperate for her to understand his point `no one in this world can open that archway…no one…'

`I think he disagrees' Albus said softly as he took a step closer to her and laid a hand on her shoulder again.

`But you tried' Hermione said looking at him.

`But I think what he's trying to say is… you haven't' Albus voice was low and mildly surprised.

Harry looked around the room yet again, and still found nothing. No traces of magic, no flow or stream of it coming, not even a reflection of events. The room was completely dead.

`The wards have been down for nearly half an hour now!' Harry said impatiently looking down at his watch.

`You don't expect him to just come bumbling in at the first chance, do you?' Hermione said raising an eyebrow.

`It's what I would have done' Harry said shrugging his shoulders.

`He probably won't be alone either' Hermione said laughing, as if she thought this was as obvious as him taking his time. Harry however was slightly surprised. He always just assumed that in the end it would be just Harry and Voldemort, but then again he had brought Hermione, and anyone Voldemort would bring could be easily dealt with.

Harry stopped as he felt a disturbance and looked to the corner of the room, half expecting it to be full of a hundred Death Eaters.

`I think this is them' Harry said pointing to the corner so Hermione would be ready to see them arrive.

As sure as anything Harry watched as three figures appeared in the corner of the room, all of there wands raised aggressively at Harry and Hermione. But none of them shot, obviously under orders from Voldemort Harry figured.

`Good of you to come!' Harry said brightly as he raised his wand at Voldemort and saw that it was Lucius and Bellatrix that made the party three `although you have taken longer than I thought'

`And I guess you thought I come alone as well?' Voldemort sneered making Lucius and Bellatrix laugh. Harry however was annoyed at this, was it that obvious to everyone but himself?

`And it's especially good to see Bellatrix here' Harry said smiling `it'll save me a trip after I beat Tom'

`Still think you'll kill me, Potter?' Bellatrix sneered `even though we out number you?'

`Not think, poor Bella' Harry said brightly `but I do guarantee that by the end of the day, you'll be dead'

`Over confident Potter?' Lucius laughed.

`Nope' Harry said taking a step forward and enjoying that Lucius recoiled ever so slightly `just the benefit of being a time-traveler'

Bellatrix' faces screwed up in anger as she eyed him with disdain. This was exactly what Harry needed. If Bellatrix got emotional and made a mistake then it'd be two versus two, and Hermione could easily handle Lucius.

`Or maybe you'd prefer the void?' Harry asked playfully making even Bellatrix fearful at the mention `Sirius would be more than welcome to greet you!'

Bellatrix looked completely confused at Harry's light tone about Sirius, and so did Hermione for that matter, but Harry knew what he was doing.

`But then again you might enjoy that…you pure bloods sure love incest' Harry laughed and noticed Bellatrix look even angrier `is that why you killed him? Sexual chemistry gone awry? Did he turn you down?'

`SHUT UP!' Bellatrix screamed, her hand shaking with fury.

Harry let out a little whistle and turned to look at Hermione, although constantly concentrating on Bellatrix who was close to snapping.

`I think I might have hit a sore spot' Harry said laughing when he saw her move out of the corner of his eye.

`Avada Kedavra!' she screamed as if in pain and hate.

Harry fell as quickly forward as he could, helped by the fact that he had faced away to talk to Hermione, and rolled to his right to avoid the green light, barging Hermione effortlessly to the ground as he raised his wand in the same motion at Bellatrix.

He slowly straightened himself as he stood back up to a room now full of four people, only which were two Death Eaters.

`Did you send her to the void?' Voldemort asked, his words were spoken slowly and Harry thought he could hear fear as he said the word void.

`Nah' Harry said shaking his head `I've cut of the link so not even I can use it anymore'

`Then where is she?' Lucius asked looking around as if he expected to see her hiding in a corner.

`London' Harry said with a smile `right into the middle of our forces…I wouldn't be expecting her to come back and help you any time soon'

`To noble to kill?' Voldemort asked with a silky small laugh `or do you just prefer to get others to do your dirty work for you?'

`It's true that I don't take any pleasure in killing, Tom' Harry said emphasizing his name `but I'll try and make an exception for you'

`So here we are' Voldemort said smiling as he withdrew his wand slightly and stepped before Harry.

`Here we are' Harry said as he put his wand down by his side.

`The two greatest wizards in the whole of time' Voldemort said with a wry smile as his wand went to his side. Harry stole a glance to his side and saw Lucius and Hermione were following them in their actions and Harry prayed that Hermione was as good at dueling as she had been.

`Ready to fight for the world' Harry said as they bowed down low to each other, their eyes never leaving the other for even the briefest of moments.

`Avada kedavra' Voldemort screamed as his wand swished in the air, Harry rolling to his right and scanning the room for Voldemort. He had disappeared with lightning speed. The battle had begun.

Hermione looked up at the old man for several long seconds, her brain somehow unable to comprehend what he had meant. And then it clicked in. and she threw her head back and laughed.

`That's priceless' Hermione said unable to control the laughter `but probably not the right time for joking!'

`I'm not joking' Albus said slowly, his voice controlled and truthful.

`But I can't do magic' Hermione said shaking her head now. This had stopped being funny and had quickly became confusing.

`Just because you never had doesn't mean you can't' Albus said with a small smile.

`But…but…' Hermione said blinking rapidly `that's crazy!'

`Is it?' Albus said smiling even broader `the Hermione in the other world, who by your own words is exactly the same as you, is a witch?'

`But Harry said we were completely different people' Hermione said defensively.

`I think we can all admit Harry has a…blind spot…when it comes to you' Albus said with a smile `and he even gave you a wand'

`So it looks like I can do magic' Hermione said shaking her head `it's just for show'

`The wand picks its owner' Albus said gently `and your wand is from Fawkes'

`And?' Hermione said slightly rudely.

`In this world Fawkes has only ever given a single feather before which has become the core to the wand you carry, and even in Harry's world he had only ever given two' Albus explained slowly `I have to take the logical step and assume that fate has led you to that wand'

`But…' Hermione started but Albus held up a hand to quiet her.

`The magic Harry uses often is extremely advanced' he spoke faster now `so advanced that it leaves so little trace I can barely see any of it…have you ever seen anything…strange…'

Hermione went to answer no but caught the word in the mouth. Often she had seen the flashing light, the sound of magic be it a hum or buzz. She remembered that she heard whispering coming from behind the veil, and when the gargoyles had attacked she had seen the storm of them coming through space, somehow felt them ripping through.

`Did you ever see the Magicallds?' Albus asked looking pointedly at her.

Slowly she nodded.

`Wouldn't Harry have realized?' Hermione spoke after several minutes of silence.

`Alas, no' Albus said sighing `it is a problem for the powerful that they often see things how they want to see them…especially when it concerns those they care about'

`But why would he avoid realizing this?' she asked.

`He had largely withdrawn from the world of magic and concerns himself with what he likes to call humanity, but what we call muggles…before you got yourself mixed up with us anyway' Albus said shaking his head `I believe that magic has brought him nothing in this life except losing those he loved…somewhere inside him he wanted to keep you safe away from that world that had been so harsh to him'

Hermione slowly nodded, it made sense but she still couldn't believe it.

She reached down into her pocket and held the wand out before her eyes. It felt warm to the touch, like it was more than just wood. She wondered if this was good news or not.

She stood up quickly, time was not in her favor for once and she spun to look at the archway.

She had no idea what to do, what words to say or motions to wave the wand.

`A wand is just a way to focus the magic' Albus said as he stepped up beside her `all magicians lose their control of their emotions from time to time and perform wandless magic without any idea how they did the spell…I think as my subconscious has hindered my attempt at opening the Archway, yours might just give you what you desire…'

`So I just have to let my emotions out?' Hermione said as she eyed the archway `I've been crying for the last half an hour so it shouldn't be too much of a problem'

`But think on it first' Albus said holding out a hand and taking her shoulder once again `Harry wanted you to come here, so you could be safe and so Voldemort couldn't escape that world…he doesn't want you to risk yourself or the whole of time!'

`I've thought of that!' Hermione said triumphantly, feeling her heart almost explode as hope flooded through it `and I'll just be doing the same thing Harry did…step into the void and pull myself out of the other side, and when Harry did that the archway on this side didn't re-open, did it?'

Albus seemed to think on this for a moment, before his eyes misted up and he sighed.

`Alas, you are right' Albus said with sorrow `the archway on this side will be open to the void, but the other world will remain closed…but you will still be in danger Harry didn't want you to be in!'

`So why did you tell me I had a chance to get back there then?' Hermione asked turning her head to look at the man.

Albus looked away from her and at the archway deep in thought.

`I guess because you're in love...because I believe in both you and Harry…because it really is your life, and thus your choice' Albus said softly.

Hermione closed her eyes and thought of Harry. Was she doing the right thing by fighting to be back there? She laughed to herself as she realized that only time could tell on that one.

`Everywhere we go, every time we visit, Harry risks himself, steps forward to fight whatever it is' Hermione said looking at Albus pleading for him to understand `he sacrifices himself every time to save strangers, to save humanity…and if I die when I reach him, then that's a price I'm willing to pay…I cant let him do it alone…'

She stepped forward slowly and out of Albus' grip as she raised her wand. She filled her mind with Harry. The first time they met when she took his hand, when she left to travel with him that first time, watching Shakespeare together…

She could feel the wand starting to vibrate softly in her hand.

She remembered all the times when Harry and her mother had fought and bickered, and when James accepted how she felt about Harry, and the first time they kissed as they heralded in a new millennium.

She heard Fawkes song and realized that he was now circling her as her wand vibrated even more.

Finally she remembered kissing him as she prepared to leave his world, she remembered telling him she loved him. And she felt how true those words had been.

The room flashed complete darkness for a fraction of a second, and when the light returned she could hear the whispering again, and the veil blowing slightly in the non existent wind.

`You did it' Albus said, his voice told her that he had expected this `when you step through you will enter the void…'

`Hell' Hermione said softly, the first beat of a nervous heart issuing in her chest.

`Use the device as you enter, it is a simple turning device' Albus said breathing heavily `and think incredibly hard of Harry and his world…that will hopefully be enough to pull you through'

`But couldn't I end up anywhere?' Hermione asked, her nervous heart still beating in her chest.

`You could, but I don't think you will' Albus said sincerely `Harry has just stepped through, Voldemort had just ripped himself after Harry so their should be enough residual energy flowing that you should pop through'

`I think the word should should be banned' Hermione said making Albus chuckled.

She took a deep breathe and closed her eyes. She was just about to step into hell, but it was the only way she would ever see Harry again, and a world of demons is tolerable for the sake of an angel.

She stepped forward, her eyes closed, and felt the veil press softly over her face.

And then she felt nothing.

Complete darkness flooded her eyesight, but it was worse than that. She couldn't feel her body. She felt nothing, thoughts even slipped away effortlessly.

She went to turn the device but realized she didn't have any hands. Thankfully though the fact that she had no body meant her heart couldn't start beating any faster, and all she had was thoughts.

Harry had managed to use the device in here, so she wasn't trapped indefinitely. This was just another problem she had to solve before getting back to him.

She realized the only thing she had was her thoughts, so that's all Harry would have had.

She concentrated on imagining her hands, the feeling of having them, where they would be, and more importnantly the device they held. And in her mind she slowly turned the sand dial around and around, thinking as hard as she could of that last kiss she shared with Harry.

And then a strange feeling flooded her body, as if every limb was growing back in seconds. She could feel the bones appearing, the veins and muscles encasing them, and the skin overlapping everything.

And then her eyes were filled with light, and before her stood Harry.

Harry shot of a stunning charm that vibrated powerfully of the walls, missing the disappearing Voldemort by milliseconds.

The fight was hard, he was bleeding, but he was still alive. If he could keep going Hermione could beat Lucius and maybe the two of them could beat Voldemort together.

But just as hope filled his head, a cold wind swept throughout the room.

Harry instantly stopped dead in his tracks, his wand falling down to his side in his hand as he felt the soft wind flutter over his body. However impossible that feeling was he knew now it was real, and that it was full of power.

He looked at the archway and saw the veil perfectly till as he knew it would be. What he was feeling wasn't the Archway, it was a ripping of the world. He knew it was impossible, but he also knew why it was happening. The fighting had stopped at the exact same moment as he had ended it, letting him know that they all felt the intrusion into their world.

Voldemort was now staring at him, a smile appearing on his face as he took an eager step forward. Harry felt a trickle of blood work its way down his chin, surprisingly cooling the skin that it touched as worked its way down to dripping to the floor.

He felt his skin pulled softly as a dent in his world was forming, the feeling so tiny and insignificant that he knew only Voldemort would feel it too.

And then she stepped forward blinkingly into the room, appearing just beside the Archway out of thin air. Still unaware as to where she was, what was happening, and how catastrophic her return would prove to become.

This worlds Hermione stood staring at the counterparts return in shock and worry. Her eyes shooting around the room as if trying to comprehend what this all meant.

Lucius stood in wide mouthed shock at a second Hermione appearing in this fight, and his face told Harry that he was working out what this meant. If a victory or loss would soon be at hand for him.

Harry however already knew what this meant. He knew it all as it snapped into place. The wand he had leant her. The hints of magic she had showed that he had turned a blind eye too. The Anglia he had left in the other world. But he was ahead of everyone else, for he knew the future now. He knew what was soon to happen. He knew his story was over.

`Harry…' Hermione started as she stepped forward, but her voice and movement was stolen from her as she realized that Voldemort had just raised his wand and held it on her.

This worlds Hermione inched forward as if ready for attack, but stopped as she realized what Harry knew, or at least some of it, that there was nothing they could do.

`It appears that you have another decision to make' Voldemort said struggling to hide the joy from his voice at this unexpected present `and I urge you to make the right choice this time'

Harry felt his right hand clench around his wand and anger surge through his body, but this was almost instantly replaced by sorrow.

`Go on' he said through clenched teeth.

Voldemort took another small step forward, his wand always trained on the new arrival.

`I will allow Hermione, and the other one as well, to leave through the void' Voldemort said with his now permanent smile.

`How can I be sure you'll keep your word?' Harry said staring directly into his red hateful eyes.

`In essence you can't' Voldemort said shaking his head slightly `but why wouldn't I? There are infinite worlds out there, infinite Hermione's…what do I care for them or that other small world?'

`But you do care about me…' Harry said his eyes refusing to budge from Voldemort.

`Yes' Voldemort said softly `so I will let them go…'

`In exchange for?' Harry said, but he already knew the answer. He had known it from the first moment that he felt the wind from the void sweep across his skin.

`Your life' Voldemort said with a hateful grin.

Harry thought he heard both of the Hermione's gasp in shock, but he wasn't sure. Although his mind had accepted his fate, his body hadn't until these words were said. His stomach felt sick, and his cells seemed to shake with the knowledge of impending death.

Harry looked to his side and saw this worlds Hermione, one of his oldest friends. It was fitting that she would be here, fitting but terrible. They had been through so much together, and it was mainly because of her that he had become the man he was.

He looked to the other Hermione and smiled. He feared for her life and knew that even if Voldemort kept his word and she lived she would have to cope with watching him die. But he couldn't help one little spark of joy from happening with inside of him. He had been granted the chance to see her one last time.

Harry dropped his wand to the floor and heard it echo throughout the room as his eyes snapped onto Voldemort.

`Agreed' Harry said nodding his head determinedly. He wanted to die like a man, his head held high as he went to the pit to die.

`No, you can't do it!' the two Hermione's shouted in unison, and despite himself Harry had to laugh.

`I guess I was wrong about you two being completely different' Harry said smiling as he thought of what their lives would become.

`You cant…' they started to say again in unison but stopped.

`Harry…' this worlds Hermione said first, beating the other by a slight second `you can't just give up…what will happen?'

`Promise me, the two of you, that when this is over you will leave through the veil…live your life's and not think about me…' Harry said.

Both of them shook their heads, tears streaming down their eyes.

`Please…?' Harry said shaking his head in desperation. He knew Voldemort wouldn't give him long `just do it…for me?'

`I'm so sorry…' the other Hermione said `I can't believe I was so stupid…I thought…and now…'

`Don't worry about me…to the organized mind death is nothing but the next great adventure' Harry said smiling at her as well as he could before he turned back to Voldemort.

Voldemort smiled at Harry and turned his wand of Hermione. Harry knew at this point that he would keep his word. Harry was defenseless, and if Voldemort wanted to he'd kill the pair of them just so Harry could watch them die.

Harry closed his eyes and smiled.

`Let's do it'

*

Hermione felt her eyes stinging violently. She had caused the end of everything. The end of her Harry, the end of this world, and the end of the millions of others.

Voldemorts wand was now off her, but the only thing that happened was her fear and panic had doubled, taking the place of all hope as it rested squarely at Harry's chest.

She couldn't let this happen, and an idea flew into her mind.

She looked to the side and her eyes met the other Hermione's, looking as swollen and tear stained as hers. But a fire burned behind them, and she wondered if hers looked like this and if the fire meant that shared the same idea.

She looked away and watched as Voldemort stopped carefully about ten feet away from Harry. But this was ideal. This meant her plan could become a reality.

She could hear Voldemort speak, but the words held no meaning as her mind drifted back home, back to the world. James would be waiting for her, Albus having told him what had happened. At least he would have answers.

Her mother would probably never know, never having known that she had left in the first place. She would keep her room for years to come, keep the same house, always hopeful that she'd one day return.

But that day would never come. This was the end of her story. And she hoped they would all forgive her.

`Avada Kedavra' Voldemort said, and as if in slow motion she stepped forward, once again in unison with the other Hermione, between Harry and the curse.

And the last thing she saw was green.

Harry couldn't breathe.

His skin had lost all sense of touch.

And time seemed to have stopped.

He looked up at the two of them, both lying motionless on the floor, entwined together as if sisters.

`Hermione…' Harry tried to say but all that seemed to come out was his breathe as he stared down unbelieving at them.

`Such a pity' he heard Voldemort said but cared nothing for the words `only you had to die…'

Harry still couldn't move forward. He wanted to run from the room, and felt that if only he could get far enough away that it would somehow bring them back.

`The other one can still leave though' Voldemort said snapping Harry from the bodies of the two people he loved most in this world and onto the murderer before him

`What?' Harry snapped angrily.

`The killing curse only kills one person, the other must be knocked unconscious from the blow' Voldemort said as he made to step over the bodies in an attempt to get closer.

Harry felt the surge of anger flood through his body as his mind, the human part, switched off. He lunged desperately forwards towards Voldemort and hit into his stomach, flooring the monster and landing on top of him, all thought of magic gone from his head and only violence remained.

He felt a sharp pain as his fists smashed down violently onto his face, each blow bringing yet more pain. But the pain was a different feeling, distracted his whole body at the thought of which Hermione was still alive. The question over which one he hoped had survived.

He felt what he knew must be Lucius wand pushing into the back of his neck but he didn't care. His fists carried on raining down on Voldemorts hard skin, determined to make as much damage as possible.

A loud bang filled his ears, and pain shot throughout his body, the feeling of tumbling over and over filling his senses, and when he opened his eyes he was about ten foot away from Voldemort and Lucius.

Harry couldn't stand up, not through pain or injury, but through despair. Because of him Hermione was dead, and which ever it was he knew he would never get over it. Anger coursed through him as yet another person had joined the list of dying to protect him.

Voldemort struggled up to his feet, his mouth full of blood as he pointed his wand into Harry.

`For that…' Voldemort shouted angrily `Lucius'

The sound filled the room as he screamed `crucio!'

The pain burst through every cell in Harry's body, every vein felt like it was coursing fire as he brain swelled up in pain. The pain was so great he wished for death, so great that all though of Hermione had fled him, and he wished it would never end.

Physical pain, however terrible, was easier than real life. At least his life.

The pain stopped and it felt like it was physically leaving his body. Only exhaustion remained, and the thought of the people he loved.

`Was that it?' Harry laughed, knowing this was the only way to get rid of his thoughts `Tommy-Tom, you should fire the loser!'

`Crucio!' Lucius screamed once again.

The thoughts ended as blissful pain scorched through his body causing such great damage that he was sure he would die. With each thumping of his head he wished the memories of that day would die. With all the fire bursting through his veins he wished it would burn through his heart.

He had no idea how long this had been going on, perhaps five minutes, but eventually the pain died once more.

`Slightly better' Harry laughed once again as he tried to roll over, but his muscles failed him `but only good enough to get a troll'

`Cru…' Lucius said and Harry closed his eyes in anticipation but this time no pain came.

Harry leant his head back and saw that Voldemort had his hand held up to stop Lucius, and was walking towards him.

`How does it feel Harry?' Voldemort laughed as he wondered within touching distance of Harry. Harry tried to pull at his muscles to make a grab for him but they had been pretty much burnt out by the crucio.

He fell over to his side and managed to sit up slightly with his back against the wall.

`I said how does it feel?' Voldemort said with such anger that Harry decided to answer.

`It wasn't bad…but Bellatrix was much better' Harry said shaking his head to check if his muscles were gaining back any energy `was being the main word there as that bitch is probably dead by now'

`You think I care? I have infinite more Bellatrixes to recruit across the worlds' Voldemort sneered `and I have one Hermione to, entertain, myself with'

`You touch her and I swear I'll kill you!' Harry shot back angrily. He didn't need Voldemorts laughter to tell him that it had been an idle threat so he took a deep breathe and tried to think of something to say to the man who was about to murder him `so what's the plan? Make me watch as you torture the one that lived? Make me watch as the two people who I love most in the world are killed? It works and all but it's not exactly original'

`No' Voldemort said simply with such a cruel smile on his lips `I'm going to kill you before you know which one died, and unknowing of what I did to the other'

Harry blinked and his head thundered. He would never know who lived on, would never even have a moment of hope, and would die broken on the floor with unanswered questions.

He felt tears begin to form but stopped them. He wouldn't give Voldemort the enjoyment of that.

He loved both of them, and once again the curse of Harry Potter has gotten more innocent victims. Wherever he went people died, people he cared about were hurt and those he loved were taken from him.

And he did love them, the pair of them, for completely different reasons. And he hoped they felt the same way for him. As he thought this his mind clicked, and a small smile appeared on his face.

They did love him. He was sure of it.

`And now, Harry Potter, you will die'

Voldemort stood up and pointed his wand down at Harry. Harry closed his eyes again and hoped that whoever had lived would find their end quickly and without pain.

`One last thing…'

She felt her head aching and thought the floor beneath her was spinning. She had no idea where she was, what was happening or even who she was. All memory had died away leaving her alone in a spinning world.

Groaning she tried to open her eyes but failed. She wondered if this was right or not, maybe she was blind? She tried to lift her head of the ground but stopped instantly as the pain scorched across the back of her skull. Thoughts flittered through her mind and she thought she could hear words spoken close by.

`and I have one Hermione to…entertain…myself with'

It had come from a cold low voice said full of triumph. The voice made her insides feel cold and she wished that the girl named Hermione was far away from the person who spoke of her as the word entertain held more fear than any threat.

`You touch her and I swear I'll kill you!'

This new voice sounded defiant, and somehow seemed to ease the pain coursing through her body. She tried to move her fingers and found that she could.

`I'm going to kill you before you know which one died, and unknowing of what I did to the other'

It was the low cold voice again and it made her yarn for the other speaker to come back again. The other voice was full of hope and somehow made her body feel stronger.

She wished she could remember why she was here, or even who she was, but those memories were out of reach for her.

Slowly she opened her eyes, but as the light came in blurring her vision and searing pain entered her head she closed them again.

At least she knew she wasn't blind, and she thought she had seen the outlines of people in the room.

`And now, Harry Potter, you will die'

Harry…

She opened her eyes and turned towards the voices. She knew who she was, and knew it was her fault they were here. She saw Voldemort standing above Harry his wand pointing downwards at him and she tried to call out at him. Warn him of what was about to happen. But her voice had gone and all she could do was watch.

`One last thing…' Harry said as he looked up at Voldemort.

`Not this time, Harry…' Voldemort said `Avadad Kedavra!'

As the green spark started at Voldemorts wand Hermione saw the tiniest hint of a smile spread over Harry's face as he spoke out loud.

`She loved me'

Hermione watched as the green light bore down at Harry and hit him in the chest. Hermione tried to look away but couldn't. A solitary tear found its way into her eyes as she watched what must be the death of the man she loved.

But the green light didn't die.

Harry keeled over slightly in pain, but he was alive, and what was more was that the green light hadn't gone away.

Voldemort was now ensnared in green light, and was looking around manically. The blonde haired man had fallen backwards away as the green light got closer and closer onto Voldemort.

`Not like this!' Voldemort screamed as the green light got closer to him by the second `not again!'

The green circles of light seemed to pull over him like a net, and compressed into nothing, until it was gone.

As the green light died, the room was changed. Voldemort was gone.

She watched as Harry stood up slowly, not looking anywhere in particular as he steadied himself on his feet. Hermione couldn't understand what was happening, how Harry was alive, but as the tears came flowing from her eyes she knew she didn't care.

`What happened!' Lucius shouted angrily at Harry who just laughed.

`History has a way of repeating itself…' he said as he strolled over past Hermione. She tried to call out, and hoped he'd see her eyes were open, but he strolled past her without even looking at her `Voldemort, the evil monster he was, always saw his magic as more powerful than anyone else's…the first time I fought him I thought the same…fighting him with curses and plans…'

`What did you do!' Lucius screamed.

`I was loved' Harry replied, his voice low and full of feeling `my mother loved me and died protecting me…and Hermione loved me and died protecting me…'

`That's…impossible' Lucius stuttered.

`Nothings impossible' Harry said shaking his head `seems like Albus won after all…'

Hermione didn't understand what was happening and her head ached. She wondered how she was alive, and with the pain searing through her head how she was still conscious.

`The question I'm left with is what to do with you' Harry said walking up to Lucius, his wand raised at the mans chest.

`I won't go back to Azkabam!' he said defiantly.

`I agree' Harry said walking up closer to him `in fact you won't be going anywhere'

Lucius seemed to hesitate momentarily before letting out a high pitched laugh.

`You won't kill me!' he said laughing even more.

But as Harry stepped closer to him, facing him eye to eye, his body froze in panic. Hermione had no idea what Lucius had seen in Harry's eyes, but only knew that it seemed to drive Lucius mad with fear.

`Avada Kedavra' Harry said softly, and Lucius crumbled to the floor in a green light.

As the green light filled the room pain exploded down the back of her skull, filling her lungs with an intense pain she couldn't pinpoint.

And as the green light faded, her eyes shut, and the memory of what she had just seen faded.

Hey, so that was pretty much the finale, just a funeral to go to now…and that WILL be done tomorrow…now onto my apology.

I know I said this would be finished by Christmas, but I'm really sorry that I let you down. I went away on holiday for three weeks on Christmas eve to America…it was my first time in the states and visited: New York, Boston Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Georgetown, Newburyport and some other places…it was awesome, but completely unplanned! That's why I took so long to update! I hope you guys can forgive me…

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this, and I hope I can be forgiven for killing `a' Hermione… I did warn you several chapters ago that Hermione was going to die…and I do expect that everyone can guess just which Hermione died…I didn't mean to leave that open as a cliffhanger, so I apologize if that happened…it was canon-Hermione that died…

Anyway…funeral next… and some other cool stuff…

Also, the last part with Hermione was purposefully confusing…you'll find out why…

Till next time…

Jms Granger…


-->