Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

Bad Wolf: Part Two

As soon as Hermione blinked the darkness faded away and the soft light of the Anglia lit her up. She was home. But for how long she didn't know.

`Why did you threaten Ron?' she snapped angrily. Harry was acting strange, and she could cope with that, but she couldn't cope with him going against what they believed in, sounding like one of the people they stopped so often.

`Who says it was a threat?' Harry said darkly, but as Hermione raised an eyebrow at him incredulously he threw his head back in laughter `Ok, ok. It was an idle threat. All I'll do is turn him into something…I'm thinking festive here…how about a reindeer?'

`Well he does have red hair' Hermione laughed, glad beyond words to see Harry acting more like himself again.

`So its agreed' Harry said walking back and forth quickly as if his mind was still trying to work out where he wanted to go as he spoke rapidly `if Ron tries to interfere, then he becomes Rudolph!'

Harry raised his wand and closed his eyes, the sign of him doing magic, and as soon as he started she heard a large crashing coming from the other side of the main doors, which flew open to allow a blur of brown fly past her and into Harry's hand.

`This is it!' Harry said excitedly as he opened what Hermione could now tell wasn't a blur but was in fact a book `do you remember when I got this?'

`It was our second trip…third adventure if you count the Plastocrese' Hermione said with a little smile. So much time had passed since then, so much had changed that she could no longer remember the girl she once was

`Well done, you finally said it right' Harry laughed as he leafed through a few pages after throwing her a grin `Charles gave this to me before…before we saw Shakespeare…'

`So what's important about that book?' Hermione asked as she tried to peer over Harry's shoulder, but he was scanning the pages to fast for her to really take any in so she stopped.

`I don't know yet…' Harry said seriously `but I have an inkling'

`Haven't you read it yet?' Hermione asked curiously.

`No' Harry said shaking his head distractedly `didn't have the time'

`Time is all we have!' Hermione said laughing.

`You know what I mean' Harry said dismissively `all that searching was in the past for me, while I had just begun to get to know you, to travel with you…the archway didn't seem so important after you arrived…'

Hermione didn't know what to say. She hadn't realized, or even considered, just how much Harry's life had changed to. Before he was alone, a sole traveller on a mission, and she came into his life and changed everything. She hoped that it was for the better.

`There!' Harry cheered suddenly as he spun around beside her and opened the book to a page for her to see `that's the archway!'

And Harry was right. And even though the book was heavily beaten and incredibly old, every image and letter stood out clearly. On the page was heavily dense writing that she couldn't recognize as even letters let alone words, and at the bottom, under all the scrawl, was a picture of the archway with a man beside it with a long flowing white beard.

`Who's that beside it?' Hermione asked pointing at the old man who reminded her of Albus.

`That's Merlin' Harry said proudly as he looked admiringly at the book.

`As in The Sword in the Stone?' Hermione said with a smile. She loved that film when she was younger.

`The very one…Although without the sword. Or the stone. Or any of the oh so delightfully Disney singing' Harry said shaking his head unimpressed `makes you wonder what he did actually have?'

`An archway' Hermione said simply with a grin.

`That he did' Harry said knowingly `that he did'

`So can you read all of this?' Hermione asked pointing at all the writing.

`Pretty much' Harry said nodding as his eyes scanned the words `but its pretty dull…beware the archway!...all that rubbish'

`So is the book useless?' Hermione asked.

`Not at all' Harry said grinning as he slammed the book shut dramatically `it proves that I was right…that Merlin created the archway'

`And how's that helpful?' Hermione asked interestedly.

`This picture is kind of like a…magical photo…' Harry said looking at Hermione confused `which I just realized you've never seen'

`So what is it?' Hermione asked irritably, she hated not knowing things.

`Its…complicated' Harry said looking confused before his eyes twinkled again and he opened the book back to the page of the archway and handed it back to her `check out that picture again'

Hermione peered down at the picture knowing what she would see but as her eyes set upon it she was completely surprised. Merlin was now sat on the floor with his back resting against the archway, his large pointed hat over his eyes as he appeared to be dozing of to sleep.

`He's moved!' Hermione said finding this discovery delightful.

`Native Americas and Brazilian tribes people weren't all to far off when they thought that cameras stole the models soul' Harry said with a grin `the photo actually takes a picture of it, and magic allows it to show itself…this is a very early form of that'

`And as you can see his soul, you can see his magical force?' Hermione asked, hoping that she had got this right and didn't sound stupid.

`Fantastic!' Harry said `when I turn the archway back on, a billion different strands and souls of magic will fly through and only the right one will let me properly activate it… and if I didn't now have a clear image of Merlin's soul I would have to guess and would likely end up just stepping through into the void'

`Wait one moment!' Hermione interrupted `what's this got to do with the void?'

`Everything' Harry said cryptically.

`Harry…' Hermione said warningly `what is going on?'

Harry stopped and looked around the Anglia, seeming to be thinking hard of the words to explain to her, but as he turned back to her something else burned in his eyes.

`Have I ever let you down?' Harry said quietly, dangerously.

`No' Hermione admitted before quickly adding `but we're suddenly talking about the void now, and that worries me…especially as all you ever do is talk about nothingness…please tell me what is going on?'

`The dead call it the eternal…my people call it the void' Harry said softly, carefully `but some people… some people call it Hell'

`So we're talking about Hell?' Hermione said shaking her head `maybe Albus was right…you're sounding very rash all of a sudden'

`Hermione' Harry said forcefully as he reached out and placed a hand on her shoulder `this is me. Harry. Would I ever walk you into Hell? Do you think I would, that I could, ever literally send you to Hell?'

`No' Hermione said shaking her head.

`Then have faith in me' Harry said, his eyes pleading with her to believe him `and I promise that I'll pull us through this…together…right through to the end'

Hermione looked at him and breathed deeply. An image floated into her mind, the image of the future she had seen months ago, a future that had her falling to her knees in tears. Tears that could only have meant one thing. That she had lost Harry.

She breathed deeply once again and closed her eyes. Harry was standing close to her, watching her, waiting for her. And then she opened her eyes and saw her Harry.

`Ok' Hermione said.

`Thank you' Harry said with a grin.

`But if I end up having tea with the devil' Hermione said laughing `I'm pointing him in your direction'

`Deal!' Harry said throwing his head back and laughing.

Harry slowly walked over to the large cabinet that they had bought in medieval Britain. Well, bought wasn't exactly the right term. She had won it in a game of poker of a self proclaimed King. She didn't know if he was one, but she really liked his taste in furniture.

`Here' Harry said returning with a wand outstretched for her to take `it's the one Albus lent me a while back'

`I can't take that' Hermione said not moving from her spot and keeping her hands tight to her side to resist the urge.

`Why ever not?' Harry said puzzled.

`I can't do magic' Hermione said shaking her head `there's no point'

`It's not to do magic with' Harry said kindly `it's more so people think you can'

`In the last year you've never asked me to carry a wand before!' Hermione said suspiciously.

`And before we visited the Taj Mahal I had never asked you to ride a donkey!' Harry teased `but looked how wonderfully you did that!'

`Donkeys don't make things disappear' Hermione said rolling her eyes as she went to take the wand.

`And who knows' Harry grinned as she took it from him `it could come in handy'

`I guess I could jam it in someone's eye!' Hermione said laughing as she pocketed it and felt the strange sensation of carrying a wand. She hoped she wouldn't have to get used to it.

Harry quickly sprung out his hand towards her ready for her to take it `I know we're a little early, but shall we get back?'

`Ok' Hermione said smiling as she placed her hand on Harry's, and as soon as she did the familiar sense of apportion stole over her and her vision went dark.

`Back already?' Ron said as soon as they reappeared, even before Hermione was able to open her eyes.

She looked around the room and saw that only Albus and Ron remained. This had evidently become a need to know incident, where only Albus and Ron was high enough to need to know.

`I pride myself on my punctuality' Harry said brightly as he walked past the pair of them and down towards the

`But it is a lot easier when you have a time machine' Hermione laughed as she followed him down the steps and towards the archway where Albus was awaiting them. Harry walked up close to him and held out a hand.

`Thank you Albus' Harry said as he shook hands with the old man `this really means a lot to me'

`It's been a privilege to know you, Harry Potter' Albus said earnestly `and even though I don't agree with what you're doing, I understand it'

`That's all I ask' Harry said smiling at his friend. At the one man he saw as a real equal.

`Till we meet again' Albus said breaking the hand shake and turning to Hermione, his eyes unable to meet hers `Hermione…please take care of yourself and return to us safe and well'

And with those words Albus walked of, up the stairs and away from the room.

`Hermione…' Ron said looking at her before he pulled her into a quick hug before looking at Harry `if you let anything happen to her…'

`Then I'll be sure to tell you, Rudolph' Harry said scathingly as Ron turned and left as well.

`You ready?' Hermione said as the pair of them faced the archway without moving.

`I think so' Harry said as he slowly raised his wand and waved it over the veil.

As soon as he started Hermione could hear something. She thought it was whisperings of people from beyond it. Slowly she moved closer, listening as intently as she could, but the whisperings got no clearer, hundreds, thousands, millions of people seemed to be talking from beyond it.

Hermione turned to look at Harry and saw that he was facing the veil, his eyes closed in concentration. Hermione turned back to it and listened again. She thought the voices sounded sad and scared.

`It's done' Harry said slowly, and as Hermione turned to look at him his eyes were open once more and facing into the archway `I can hear the voices…the link has been made'

`A link to what exactly?' Hermione asked nervously, but Harry didn't answer. All that she could see was the veil now moving slightly as if caught by a slow gust of wind, and all she could hear were voices crying out for help.

`Hermione…do you remember what I said when we visited the unicorns' Harry said nervously turning his head to the side to look at her.

`You said a lot of things' Hermione pointed out nervously, unable to completely tear her eyes away form the veil and onto Harry. The archway seemed very wrong.

`That every different time version of you is completely different' Harry suggested.

`That even if I bumped into myself five minutes ago, I would be in essence a completely different person?' Hermione asked, finally tearing her eyes of it and onto the clear green of Harry's.

`Keep that in mind' Harry said with a smile `and have a little imagination'

Harry went to take a step forward, to pass through the veil and into the archway, but he stopped, turned and faced her.

He slowly reached his hand up to her face and brushed her hair behind her ear, leaving his hand resting on her cheek. She thought she could feel every atom of his hand as it warmed her cheek and her heart threatened to explode.

Slowly he moved his face closer to hers, inching forward slowly, and instinctively Hermione already knew what was going to happen. She tilted her head up slowly, waiting for him to get closer.

And then his lips touched hers and fire burst throughout her body. She reached her hands up around his neck and pushed her whole body against his as he seemed to melt into her. His tongue pushed forward and she opened her mouth to allow him to enter her, feeling his heat burst through her like an explosion of light. And then he stopped, and pulled away slowly.

`Wha…' Hermione breathed slowly as she realized her eyes were still closed and fought to open them `why did you do that'

`Because' Harry said staring into her eyes `I think that may be my last chance'

And without an explanation he turned on his heel and disappeared into the veil.

Hermione placed her hand on her heart, quickly realized that if she did yoga for several hours that it still would slow down, and stepped through after him.

But nothing happened. No gust of wind, or squeeze or teleportation, not even a bright light. Just her foot making contact with the floor as she stepped the whole way through.

And then she saw Harry facing Ron.

`Didn't you leave?' Hermione asked confused.

But Harry didn't say anything, and Ron just stood there staring dumbstruck back at him.

`Bloody Hell!' Ron said, his voice ever so slightly lower than she remembered. And then something completely and utterly bewildering happened, Harry walked up to him, and the pair embraced like brothers.

`It's so good to see you!' Harry said, pure and utter relief in his voice as it broke slightly with joy.

Hermione couldn't breath. What on Earth was happening?

Harry slowly broke form Ron, identically huge grins on both of their faces as Harry took a slow step back and turned to Hermione.

`Hermione Granger…' Harry said slowly, the words seemed to be hard to say as he was smiling so widely `…meet Ronald Weasley'

`I already know Ron' Hermione said uncertainly and then something jumped out at her.

Ron seemed to be a little taller, or maybe he just seemed it as he looked slimmer than when she had just seen him. And his hair was longer, scraggier than the neat short look that he adopted and wore so well with his military manner.

`Bloody Hell!' Ron said, his words seeming to drawl on forever in shock as his eyes almost jumped out of their sockets.

`When are we?' Hermione said slowly, but then she realized something else. She knew the room they were in, and it wasn't where she just was.

`What is Ron doing in Grimmauld?' Hermione asked confused, her head was hurting as she tried to piece together so many things, none of which made the tiniest bit of sense.

`Hopefully looking after it for me' Harry said laughing as he turned to Ron `where is she?'

`She's…' Ron's aid slowly, his eyes stuck completely still on Hermione `somewhere…'

`I see your as much help as ever!' Harry joked, which made Ron's eyes snap back onto Harry and make his eyes look like they had life behind once again.

`Its really you, isn't it?' Ron said shaking his head as a grin appeared.

`Who else did you expect to come through?' Harry laughed.

`Maybe Sirius?' Ron said, but Hermione didn't get it but evidently by Harry's laugh it was a private joke. But since when did Harry and Ron have private jokes?'

`Where is she?' Harry said softly, looking slightly at his feet.

`I'll call her' Ron said snapping out of his daydream again and running to the door. As soon as he had it open he started to shout, his words echoing throughout the building, and maybe even the whole of London `HERMIONE! HERMIONE!'

`I'm here?' Hermione said confused, but neither of them was looking at her, both of their eyes stuck on the doorway.

`WHAT?' she heard a voice all too familiar voice call back from another room.

`HARRYS BACK!' Ron yelled `HARRYS HOME!'

With theses words came an almighty crash from the other room, and a squeal she knew instinctively. And a second later a blur ran into the room and threw itself at Harry. The sound of sobbing came from the bushy hair that was hugging Harry, as they ran their hands all over each other.

Hermione was close to passing out, fainting like in an old Hollywood film, as the facts, however impossible they seemed, hit home.

Slowly she watched as the woman broke form Harry's embrace, kissing him passionately on the lips and stepping back. And then their eyes locked. And she saw the woman's big brown eyes.

`Hermione Granger…' Harry said looking at the two of them `meet Hermione Granger'

*

So that's part two…hope you liked it! Oh, and the last line is definitely right! I have to assume that most people can guess what has just happened, but for those that haven't I'll tell you (there are still a lot of other things I have to answer anyway). Harry has come home. Back to his world. Back to the canon-world. Back to the world where his real Hermione and Ron live…

I hope you like this twist, as it was the whole purpose of the story from my point of view…

I might be able to update tomorrow, but the next chapter is a HUGE one, where I answer all of Harry's secrets…and Wednesday is the Arsenal game…so it'll either be tomorrow or Thursday…sorry…

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did…

Till next time…

Jms Granger…


-->