Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

The Cursed King: Part Two

`And who may you be!' an old woman practically screeched.

`I?' the man said confidently looking around him `I am William Shakespeare'

`Oh my god!' Hermione squealed, her mind throwing from one side to the other `is that…I mean is he ok? Is that Will…?'

She couldn't decide what to do, amaze at the living legend, the greatest writer the world had ever seen, or rush to the man who had fallen down in pain. Fortunately Harry seemed to be taking the dilemma better than her and rushed towards the stage, leaping up onto it effortlessly and falling to his knees beside the actor playing King Richard. Hermione ran after him, hoping that there would be a lot more time to talk to William Shakespeare after making sure the man was ok.

`What are you two doing?' William said, his voice as refined and English as Hermione had always dreamt it, but she didn't have time to dwell on the fact that one of her idols had just addressed her as now she had got closer to the actor she realized just how bad he seemed to be. The man was perfectly still, his eyes closed tight, and Hermione couldn't see his chest moving.

`Is he?' she asked quietly to Harry, who had his fingers on the mans neck, checking for a pulse.

`No' Harry said distractedly.

`What happened?' she asked, dropping to her knees, a lot happier knowing the man was alive, and with Harry here she knew he wouldn't be in any danger.

`What's going on?' William said strolling up towards them and standing over the three of them, looking down confused `And what are you wearing?'

`Do you feel that?' Harry said quickly, his face turning instantly to Hermione as his hands took hers in his, completely distracting Hermione from another person commenting on her clothes. He slowly loosened his grip of her hand until his skin was barely touching hers, only the tiniest amount of skin was in contact, and Hermione could feel something that could only be described as a breeze pushing between their hands, making its way around the skin that still touched.

`That's weird' Hermione said confused.

`How come?' Harry said, eyeing her with curiosity.

`Because the wind doesn't seem to be stopping' Hermione said as it continued to breeze between them `and we're inside'

`Fantastic!' Harry exclaimed impressed and wildly happy, breaking the last bit of contact with Hermione's hand and standing up `and William Shakespeare!'

`I am he, sir, but I'd prefer to know who you are' William said taking Harry's hand and shaking it politely.

`Only your biggest fan!' Harry said happily as Hermione stood up to join him `as well as Hermione here, please mind her clothes, she's a little simple'

`What is a fan?' William said looking at them in confusion.

`I am not simple!' Hermione declared slapping Harry on the chest softly.

`I meant simply fantastic' Harry said laughing `And fan means a fanatic'

`So you have something to do with this?' William said, eyeing them both suspiciously.

`Nope!' Harry said delightedly, rocking on the base of his heels slightly.

`But you're here' he said, no less suspicion I his voice.

`So are you…' Harry said stopping mid thought and looking at him confused `…actually, how come you are here, if I remember right you should be in Staffordshire at this time?'

`How do you know that?' Shakespeare demanded, a little angrily.

`He's you're biggest fan' Hermione stated, trying to be helpful, all this seemed a little too much for William, and remembering when she had first met Harry she couldn't blame him.

`You seemed to know something was going to happen?' Harry said eyeing William, an unreadable expression in his eyes.

`What are you implying' William said in outrage.

`Only that you seemed to be trying to stop the play from happening' Harry said, still unreadable.

`I think he means that you seemed to know that something bad was going to happen and was trying to save the actor from what happened' Hermione said, nudging Harry as she silently told him to behave, this was William Shakespeare after all.

William stared at them for a few moments, before he sighed and put his hand to his head.

`I don't know whats happening' he said, and Hermione could tell how painful that was for him to admit `Every time someone tries to perform Richard the Third they break down, can't even finish the opening dialogue, and what they do get to say isn't even any of my best work!'

`And what happens to them?' Hermione said instantly, cutting in before Harry could ask something, but he seemed pleased about this question for some reason.

`Their Ok' he said, sighing again `If being in a coma can pass as ok'

`How long had this been going on?' Harry asked, taking a step away and lowering himself down towards the unconscious man, turning his back to her and Shakespeare. Hermione knew that Harry must be using his wand and didn't want Shakespeare to see. She figured getting out a stick in front of most people wouldn't arise suspicion but in front of Shakespeare it could prove a problem.

`About 2 months now' Shakespeare said `This is the 6th Richard we've been through'

`6 people are all in a coma' Hermione said appalled, she had just realized how popular this play would prove to be, and how many people throughout the next 400 years could be at risk. She turned to look at Harry who was on his feet with a smile on his face, a smile that told Harry that things were looking better.

`So what is happening?' Harry said stepping towards the bard.

`I've already told you that I don't know!' he said loudly `It started 2 months ago and I came to London to try and resolve the issue! That's it!'

`Oh come on!' Harry said annoyed `you're the greatest mind of your generation, perhaps the greatest mind of all writers ever, and your trying to tell me that in 2 months you have no idea what so ever? That the William Shakespeare, writer of Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet…that sounded weird, like all three of them were in a play together…God, that'd would have been weird…

Harry was looking of into space, contemplating Romeo, Juliet and Hamlet all in a play together, so Hermione carried on for him `you must have some idea what's behind this'

`There is no news, no ideas, nothing but tavern gossip and old wives tales' William responded softly, depression in his voice, Harry however seemed quite giddy at this news, taking a step closer and looking very pleased.

`What is this tavern gossip?' Harry asked simply.

`Nothing but the ramblings of scared, drunk old men' William said shaking his head in disgust at the ideas.

`My favorite type of people!' Harry said happily, like he had just received the answer to his problems `the old are wiser, the scared more resourceful and the drunk…well their just a bit more fun…but all added together and the greatest are made!'

`You are a strange man' William said, eyeing Harry in a way like he knew him somehow `Have I met you before?'

`I don't think so' Harry said a little awkwardly, running his hands through his hair. William carried on staring at Harry before he shook his head, like he was trying to loosen his thoughts from his brain.

`They…' William started as he said the word in disdain `…believe the play to be cursed, that a ghost of a thief is displeased at the Curtain being built on his grave, and is now about seeking vengeance!'

`Now that is a tall tale!' Harry said turning to Hermione `what do you think? A ghost of a thief running amok with post-life issues in fifteen ninety… something or other?'

`1597' Hermione said getting and of thanks from Harry `and I think it's impossible'

`Impossible you say?' Harry said beaming at her, before turning back to William `Master Shakespeare, if you would do me the honor would you have lunch with us?'

`Why would I?' he said looking at her in confusion `don't you see I have more to worry about than an…an…eccentric and a girl in weird clothing!'

`Seriously can people lay of my outfit!' Hermione said a little angrily, throwing her hand to her mouth as she realized that she had just shouted at William Shakespeare, who just looked at her in shock.

`Lunch, in an hour, Hermione here will be paying' Harry said happily but she could see that the bard hadn't been won over. He placed his hand on his chin looking at them both in concentration.

`If you tell me who you really are first' he said eyeing them both.

`Let's just say that we're, probably, the only people who could make it so Richard the Third will ever be performed again' Harry said confidently, but William was still thinking it all over.

`In other words we're here to save the day' Hermione said, not knowing how she was going to justify the use of the word we, but determined none the less to try. William looked at her, making full eye contact for the first time for a moment until he nodded.

`Ok then, in an hour' William said, smiling for the first time directly at Hermione `can I recommend the Oak and Daisy?'

`Yes you may' Hermione said, smiling back.

`So we'll see you then Bill…' he said starting to walk away towards the door, before he stopped and turned back around `…can I call you Bill?'

`No, you can't' William said looking at him `Are you sure I haven't met you before?'

`I think we'd both remember that!' Harry said laughing loudly before he added `I'll see you in an hour, Bill…Come on, Hermione, work time'

Hermione smiled and, for some reason unknown to her, made a slight curtsey at William who chucked at her actions. She walked fast after Harry, stepping down off the stage and catching up to him as he left into the street.

`Are you just going to leave that man unconscious in there?' Hermione said catching up quickly with Harry.

`There's nothing I can do for him' Harry said shrugging slightly.

`What? Nothing?' Hermione said in complete shock, her breathe catching in her lungs.

`I forgot to add the word yet to the end of that sentence' Harry said apologetically, allowing Hermione to breathe again.

`But you will be able to help him?' Hermione asked.

`To tell the truth I'm not sure' Harry said glancing at her quickly, still strolling down the street, Hermione unsure where he was leading them. Hermione didn't want to press this anymore, she knew Harry would save them, she had faith in him. Although, as she thought on it, Mike had died and so had the unicorns. Her stomach jumped a little as she looked at the man beside her.

They were starting to walk faster along the street, Hermione didn't know where they were going but just followed in his path, when they were stopped by a voice.

`Harry! Hermione!' she looked round quickly at the man and realized it was Charles. Harry stopped dead in his tracks and walked over to him `Why aren't you two in the theatre?' he asked curiously, something Hermione couldn't read seemed to be in his eyes.

`Just a minor problem' Harry said, obviously happy at seeing his friend again.

`What's the problem?' Charles asked, Hermione thought it was a little to serious for how Harry had said.

`Unconscious King Richards', six of them, and it makes the play a little harder without him' Harry said, making Charles chuckle.

`Six unconscious King Richards? Sounds like the beginning of a joke' Charles said, Hermione didn't like his frivolity at the situation, but she had to remind herself that he didn't know the situation.

`People seem to think it's a curse, you haven't heard of any of this, have you?' Harry asked suddenly more serious.

`No' Charles said, running his hand across his stubbly chin, seeming to be pondering this seemingly absurd question `and King Richards fall unconscious at the beginning?'

`He didn't say when they fell into a coma' Hermione said before she realized.

`I saw you only twenty minutes ago' Charles said looking at her and shrugging.

`Anyway' Harry said loudly `If you hear anything, can you let me know?'

`I'll go and ask around' Charles said `Where will you be?'

`I'll be in the Oak and Daisy in an hour, along with Bill' Harry said, Charles mouth dropped slightly.

`William Shakespeare is going to lunch with you?' Charles said impressed and in shock.

`Me and Old Bill go back years' Harry said laughing.

`If William Shakespeare is going to be there I'll make sure I find something!' Charles said

`I'll see you in an hour, old friend' Harry said embracing Charles, who smiled at Hermione before walking away in a near jog.

Harry started to walk away slowly, making it easy for her to keep up before he started to walk at his usual brisk pace. Hermione was thinking things through, and something didn't seem right.

`So what do you think is going on?' Hermione asked as they rounded a corner to a near deserted street.

`I'm guessing it's a ghost' Harry said nonchalantly.

`Ghosts are real?' Hermione asked, remembering the nightmares that all kids have when their young and shuddering slightly.

`Most certainly' Harry said happily `I use to be pretty good friends with some'

`Oh' Hermione said `you didn't believe that whole thief thing, did you?'

`Nah' he said shaking his head dismissively `although it could be'

`You don't know why this is happening, do you?' Hermione asked seriously.

`Not yet' Harry said `but I'm working on it being a ghost'

`What do you think of Charles?' Hermione asked, trying to sound as if this was a throw away question. They were now completely deserted in a street that seemed familiar, and Harry stopped and turned to look straight at her.

`What do you mean?' Harry asked eyeing her, seemingly not too pleased at her words.

`It's just…' Hermione said a little awkwardly, she didn't want to come across as crazy or, worse, jealous `…He seemed a little odd'

`Hermione if you're trying to say…' Harry started but she stopped him.

`How can you be sure he isn't involved in all this' Hermione said reasonably.

`Because that's a crazy idea' Harry said without a trace of humor in his voice.

`But how can you be sure?' Hermione asked, taking a step closer to him, now they were within touching distance.

`It all comes down to having faith in people, Hermione' He said looking directly at her for a moment `and trust me when I tell you that it always comes down to that trust'

`But he owns a shop full of antiques and even things to interest you…' Hermione started.

`Many things interest me' Harry said normally `I had to tune into the series finale of Lost the other day, that crazy show drives me insane with interest!'

`But Lost isn't an time from the past' Hermione said gravely.

`What difference does it make if the item was from fifteen ninety…' Harry stopped in thought at this.

`1957' Hermione said helpfully.

`Why can't I remember that!' Harry said a little annoyed and confused before carrying on `anyway, what effect does time have on something being interesting or not?'

`Ok, what about how he had that leaflet at his shop, for a play that was cursed?' Hermione said rationally `or the fact that we saw him just after it happened close by, or the fact that he made a joke about it?'

`Hermione, listen to me on this' Harry said turning strict `Charles has my complete trust'

`But what about all that?' she said, putting her hands on her hips and wanting an answer, Harry stared at her and chuckled.

`No beating you, is there?' Harry said smiling knowingly at her `fine! He had the leaflet because he's a huge Shakespeare fan, he was walking the street because he has a life and he made a joke about it because that's exactly what I do, and he's my friend…is that better?'

`But still…' Hermione started.

`Hermione, please just trust me?' Harry said as he put his hand son her shoulders, the unexpected contact made her stomach jitter slightly, and she knew she had to trust him, he was Harry.

`Ok then, you've haven't let me down yet' Hermione said acceptingly, and it was true, he hadn't.

`Come on, let's get out of here' Harry said as he let go and removed his wand. He looked away, at the corner of the street, looked around him to see that no one was about and waved his wand. At that moment the door of the Ford Anglia appeared, seemingly floating in midair `The rest is invisible, cloaking device, very simple'

Hermione shrugged at the words pretty simple and made her way over to it realizing it was next to the wall she had previously touched only to be shouted at by an old woman. She reached for the handle on the floating door but as she tried to open it the thing wouldn't budge. Harry's hand suddenly appeared and unlocked it with a set of keys, opening the door for her. She stepped through into the cavern of the Ford Anglia with Harry close behind, and as she looked around she breathed a sigh of relief, this place was already feeling like home for her.

`So why have we come back here?' Hermione asked watching as Harry whipped out his wand in front of her and waving it, a door instantly opened about fifty meters away.

`Just fetching something' Harry said concentrating on his wand. After a second Hermione heard the noise of rustling and watched as a huge chest of draws came floating quickly through the open door and landed next to them. Harry pocketed his wand and started looking through the chest of draws, taking his time at first but speeding up as it took longer to find.

`You really should organize things better' Hermione pointed out to which Harry only laughed `so, what we getting, and what exactly is it going to do?'

`Well…there was this poltergeist, and …well lets just say I have some experience with phantoms and the like' Harry said distractedly, rummaging through his draws and clenching a fist in celebration as he pulled something out, it was quite a large, about the size of a football and was just plain and white, made out of something as plain as plastic `this wonderful machine, a captornasm, will allow me to locate the phantom and make it visible, bring it from their… world, or wherever they come from… into ours, and then I will deal it'

`But how can you be sure it is a phantom' Hermione asked, not sure if Harry's great idea was quite so great.

`I can't, but I intend to find out' Harry said, beaming excitedly at the prospect.

`But how can you? Stand in the theatre and shout come out, come out, where ever you are, then use that machine?' Hermione said, a little mockingly

`However much I prefer that idea to mine, I'm not sure that it'd work' Harry said smiling at her.

`So what are you going to do?' Hermione said, her voice rising in exasperation.

`I'll be…' Harry said, pausing for dramatic effect with a grin on his face `…Playing Richard the third!'

`But?' Hermione said, her heart skipping several huge beats.

`It's the only way' Harry said stepping towards her, a sad smile on her face.

`But what if the machine doesn't work and you end up the seventh unconscious Richard?' Hermione said, her heart still not working like normal peoples.

`We'll just hope it does' Harry said smiling `Hermione, it is the only way'

`But…can't you just…' She started, but she had no idea and Harry only smiled sadly at her. As she looked into his green eyes she knew she had to accept it, but she also had to do something else `…Then I'll act with you, I'll be Gaunt'

`I can't ask you to do that' Harry said softly.

`You're not' she said simply, telling the whole truth `I want to be there for you'

Harry looked at her, a small smile spread across his face for a few moments before it broke into a grin and he laughed loudly, throwing his head backwards.

`Harry Potter will be Richard the Third and Hermione Granger will be John of Gaunt, the first ever actress!' Harry said laughing his head of before adding `Fantastic!'

*

So that's chapter 2, of my now 4 (not sure if that's pleasing or not?) part adventure… hope you liked it? Next part soon, Harry and Hermione do Shakespeare…

Jms Granger.


-->