Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

The Cursed King: Part Three

`Tell me everything that you know' Harry said leaning slightly across the table and looking straight at the man before him, William Shakespeare.

`I've told you everything' he said, but words seemed to catch on the tip of his mouth and he stopped himself, and grabbed the tanker of beer in front of him and took a large gulp. He looked at them, his eyes with some desperation filling them `you will be able to stop this from happening'

Hermione wasn't sure if William had asked that or just stated it but either way they meant the same thing, that the legend in front of her was desperate.

`I'll try my best' Harry said, avoiding his eyes for a moment as he took a swig from his own drink. Hermione joined them in drinking but wished she hadn't, the beer had bits floating in it and as a standard rule she didn't drink gunk.

`How can you stop something we can't even understand?' William asked, Hermione thought the words were a little strong but decided against pointing that out as she couldn't correct the bard.

`I have an idea' Harry said, a smile back on his face as he evidently thought about their plan.

`Pray, tell' William said, it was now his turn to lean forward in anticipation.

`Ok…' Harry started but was quickly stopped by the arrival of Charles, who stood still, mouth agape as he stared at William Shakespeare who looked at him impatiently.

`Yes, Sir?' William said annoyed looking at him.

`William Shakespeare…' Charles said nervously `…I love your work'

`Thank you very much' William said impatiently `but if you can see we're a little busy right now'

Harry burst out laughing, spitting his beer straight into the bards face as he watched Charles turn red in the face through embarrassment.

`I can't believe that Charles is actually embarrassed!' Harry said laughing still `I've never managed that!'

`Leave it out, Harry' Charles said, still red in the face.

`Is he a friend of yours?' William asked Hermione.

`He's a friend of Harry's' Hermione said nodding, she still wasn't sure about him but knew she was going to have to trust Harry.

`I'm sorry, Master Shakespeare' Charles said, looking at his feet rather than William `But I came because I have some news'

`If the news is about…' William lowered his voice slightly but needn't had worried as Harry was still laughing his head of at Charles `…our problem…then join us, pull up a chair'

`Thank you, sir' Charles said, pulling out a chair and sitting down quickly, Harry had b by now seemed to control himself and looked at Charles.

`So what have you heard my timid friend?' Harry teased, but still meaning the question. Charles just batted of Harry's joke and lifted his eyes of the table and onto Harry.

`I've heard the strangest things ever' he said, looking a little worried.

`Strangest? What can be stranger than all the other stuff you hear? Like witchcraft and all that stuff' Hermione asked curiously.

`Just because some people believe in them things doesn't mean most of us do, London's pretty enlightened, not like some backwards village' Charles said simply.

`So what makes this different?' Harry asked.

`Because you're involved' Charles said with a smile `and when you're around the impossible seems to always happen'

`I think I'll take that as a compliment' Harry said smiling `so what is this'

`It's a ghost, seeking revenge…' Charles said, but Hermione interrupted him.

`Of a thief because it was built on his grave' she said all this very sarcastically. Harry gave her a weird look and Charles just laughed.

`You sound like the people who believe all the rest of the crap' Charles said laughing.

`She's a little simple' Harry said helpfully.

`Stop telling people that!' Hermione said a little annoyed, between her outfits and being called simple she was sure she wasn't coming across in the best possible light to William.

`Again, I meant simply wonderful' Harry said turning to look at her `Carry on Charles.

`Supposedly, and bare in mind this is just what I've heard…' Charles said this and leaned forward, somehow the way he had said it made all three of them copy him in leaning across the table `…It's the ghost of King Richard the third himself'

Hermione looked at him in shock, before bursting out in laughter, tears nearly rolling down her eyes, but no one else copied her example.

`The king as gods' representative would be able to perform such a feat' Shakespeare said, twiddling his beard in his hands.

`It makes sense' Harry said slamming his hand on the table in excitement.

`You can't actually believe this?' Hermione asked incredulously.

`You see since I've heard this ghost idea one thing has been playing on my mind, that last missing piece' he had turned straight to Hermione, seeming to exclude the rest from his explanation `and that's how a ghost has been following a play across the country… I know for a fact that their doomed to walk the same steps in the afterlife as they did in their actual life…this could be the link to allow the phantom to move around'

`But it seems so far fetched!' Hermione said, still in shock at the idea.

`I have to agree, but it fits all the facts' Harry said with a little self confirming no `and as Sherlock Holmes said when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth'

`Who is Sherlock Holmes?' William said confused.

`Oh, you two would get on' Harry said with a sly smile to Hermione.

`The man sounds like a fool!' Shakespeare said a little insulted, making both Harry and Hermione fall into each other laughing.

`What's so funny?' Charles asked as he raised an eyebrow at the pair of them

`Nothing!' Hermione said as she tried to stop laughing.

`Just William Shakespeare slagging of Arthur Conan Doyle' Harry said, making Hermione splutter out another laugh.

`You said Sherlock Holmes!' William said incredulously `that Arthur whatever his name sounds fine'

`Stop it!' Harry said, his arms were now round Hermione waist as they laughed together of this unique and amazing example of literary criticism.

`Harry get serious, people lives are in danger' Charles said slightly annoyed, Harry stopped laughing and wiped a tear from his eye and turned back to the others `So, before I go on a monologue, have you to got any ideas about how to stop this from ever happening again?'

`I was going to seek an audience with the king' William said confidently like this was the obvious course of action.

`I think we could seek guidance from the church, their experts on the dead' Charles said thoughtfully.

`Both are interesting ideas' Harry said kindly `but I think we'll go for my plan'

`Which is?' Charles asked.

`Haven't I said yet?' Harry said completely bewildered.

`You were working to it before you got sidetracked' Hermione stated helpfully.

I think I'm losing my mind!' Harry said sighing, before a smile appeared back on his face `never mind, I will play Richard the third and draw the ghost out myself'

`Nonsense!' William said, slamming his tanker onto the table.

`It's too dangerous' Charles said worryingly.

`I meant that it won't work' William added.

`Charles, no its not, and Bill, yes it will' Harry said standing up, Hermione following him in this action `Now to the curtain'

`How will you get permission to use it?' Charles asked sitting up from his chair.

`Nobody will be there now and anyway I have William Shakespeare himself with me' Harry said logically.

`I will not do it till you tell me how you wish to help by doing this?' William said, still rooted to his chair stubbornly.

Harry looked at him for a moment, before whipping out a piece of paper which Hermione realized to be the magic paper, and put it just in front of Williams face. Hermione couldn't read what the paper was showing him, but from Shakespeare's reaction she knew it was something big. The man went white and shuddered, his eyes rereading the paper over and over again till he looked up into Harry's face in panic.

`Is it…true?' William asked nervously to which Harry nodded his reply. William continued to look at him for a while before he leapt up out of his seat as quickly as possible and started to walk towards the door `Follow me to the curtain' he said, not sparing a moment to look back at the three of them.

Both Charles and herself looked questioning at Harry, who just shrugged and walked off after him. Hermione followed him out into the street, the sun was now starting to set and a great deal of red and yellow was added to the scenery before them. She walked fast, keeping in step with Harry as Charles did the same on the other side, William leading the way purposely a few steps in front.

As they started to approach their destination Hermione couldn't believe the group they made, she was a twenty first century girl, Harry an eccentric hero, Charles the sixteenth century antique seller and William Shakespeare was himself. Just a week ago she would have been walking home after work at this time of the day, now she was of to stop a ghost.

They reached the curtain and saw a man on the door, shabby and poor but evidently a guard had been placed after the accident of earlier that day. William strode right up to him and shook the mans hand.

`The curtain is empty Master Shakespeare' the man on the door said, eyeing each of them specifically and Hermione's dress especially.

`I know that!' William said indignantly making the man blush `I have work to do and my companions and I need the curtain to do it'

`Ok, sir, proceed' the man said, looking at his feet. The four of them pushed past and found and empty theatre in front of them. It was so still and quiet that it somehow made the hairs on the back of Hermione's neck stand up.

`I can't believe I'm about to act out Richard the third in front of William Shakespeare' Harry said, leaping up onto the stage and looking down at them.

`But who will be John of Gaunt and the Duke of Surrey?' William said, strolling up the stairs and onto the stage with Charles.

`I'm going to be Gaunt' Hermione said happily, jumping up onto the stage as she said it and walked over to Harry who was beaming at her.

`But you're a woman!' William said in shock.

`Actually she's the first ever actress!' Harry said joyously.

`I'll be the Duke of Surrey, then' Charles said walking over to join them by one of the sides.

`William, would you care to introduce us?' Hermione asked.

`No I would not, you three are a tragedy happening on my play!' William said outraged, but not moving from his spot.

`William, dear old Bill, would you do us the courtesy of introducing us?' Harry asked nicely. Bill only stared at him for a moment before dropping his head.

`If the queen hears of this…' he mumbled.

`Ok, you two, if I say anything, and I mean anything I need the pair of you to follow it, ok?' Harry said to her and Charles.

`What if you're telling us something that's obviously wrong?' Hermione asked, not overjoyed with his idea.

`Oh, Hermione!' Harry said a little annoyed but stopping `I'm not going to win this, am I?'

`Probably not' Hermione said honestly.

`Fine, listen to what I say and do what's right, better?' Harry said to Hermione to which Hermione nodded happily `and then we'll be able to take down this dick ghost' Harry said, looking at Hermione directly.

`Not very good' Hermione said shaking her head.

`I meant it with the Richard/dick pun' Harry said pleadingly.

`I did get it' Hermione said `but it's still not very good'

Harry looked annoyed at himself before rolling his eyes and turned to William `Ready to start'

`Enter king Richard, John of Gaunt, with the Duke of Surrey, other nobles and attendants' William said very professionally.

`Old John of Gaunt, time-honored Lancaster, Hast thou accordingly to thy oath and band brought hither Henry Hereford thy bold son, here to make good the boist'rous late appeal' Harry said this all then stopped, dead in his tracks, a confused look on his face. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped, and looked at Hermione, whose heart was threatening to implode at seeing Harry like this.

``I have, my liege' Hermione said, hoping that like the play she had seen Harry would recover at these words.

Tell me…moreover… hast thou sounded him, if he appeal the duke on…' Harry stopped at this.

`Harry?' Hermione said worried, but saw him smile.

`The actor we saw came unstuck on the next word, so I'll stop here' Harry said happily, removing his wand and making a glass of water. Hermione's eyes nearly bulged at this, as she had never seen him do anything like this before. She watched amazed as he downed the whole glass.

`What happened' Hermione said.

`The ghost tried to posses me' Harry said brightly, removing an object from inside his coat pocket, the captornasm and smiling happily `Nasty little phantom, couldn't speak and it felt like fire was being driven down my throat'

`How come it didn't work?' Hermione asked, horrified at his description as he waved his wand at the captornasm.

`I'm more powerful than the others' Harry said happily, shooting her a smile `here we go'

The room filled with a buzzing for about three seconds then stopped, Hermione looked around and saw nothing and was worried it hadn't worked.

`You are Richard the Third?' Harry said in shock, making Hermione spin around and realized Harry was looking up.

Before her, floating above head height was a translucent man, dressed in heavy animal fur and metal, with a crown on top of his head. Hermione gasped as she realized he was in fact dressed as a King.

`Among other things' the Ghost said nastily, looking down at Harry in disgust as he floated down, his feet just above the floor now.

`How have you attached yourself to this play!' Harry shouted angrily at the ghost, whose image didn't move but whole body floated back like it recoiled from him. Hermione couldn't believe what she was seeing and looked around the room. Charles was close to Harry, while Shakespeare stared at the ghost, his face white an unmoving.

`It's MY play!' he said, trying to match Harry's anger.

`It's the livings play' Charles said taking a step closer to Harry and the ghost.

`You are mistaken' he said in disgust. Harry looked up at him in concentration, his brain still furiously trying to work out how all this made sense.

`Why are you striking the living?' Harry said finally, most of the anger now out of his voice and replaced by curiosity.

`None have died' the ghost replied instantly.

`But why haven't they?' Harry said taking another step closer `If you've managed to become corporeal enough to put them in a coma, then why haven't you fini…ahhh'

Hermione watched as Harry put a hand up to his head and ran it through his hair, a look of understanding on his face.

`I see you have put two and two together finally?' the ghost sneered.

`You are keeping them alive to live of their life-force' Harry said as the ghost smiled a cold smile `you wish to become fully corporeal'

`I wish to get back what I knew, I was happy like that…so would you' the ghost said.

`But I wouldn't kill for it' Harry said simply.

`Wouldn't you?' the ghost said, floating towards Harry, who now took a step back `is there anything you wouldn't do?

`I…wouldn't…' Harry said regaining his control `You kill indiscriminately, I would NEVER do that!'

`But yet again you are mistaken' the ghost said `I do not kill indiscriminately'

`What do you mean?' Harry said, confusion and fear on his face.

`Do not think I wish to kill… but realize I have to' the ghost said seriously, a first flicker of compassion in his face.

`They add up to then same' Harry said angrily.

`You know as well as I do that's not true, I can see it in your eyes' the ghost said.

`In your case it does' Harry said uncertainly.

`No it doesn't' the ghost said, floating ever closer to Harry `I've been using who I need, always on the look to find people who will limit the number of casualties…'

`But…' Harry said, panic on his face as he groped for his wand.

`It's not there, is it?' the ghost said mockingly, with a cruel laugh.

`Where have you taken my wand?' Harry said fury in his eyes which only made the ghost laugh.

`Let me continue' the ghost said, Harry was now against the wall, the ghost only about 10 steps in front of him, Hermione stepped closer to the action at the same time as Charles did `I've been looking to keep the death toll down, something I was believing to be impossible…then I found you'

Harry looked stricken, understanding in his eyes but fear in his face at the ghosts' words.

`And with your death on my hands, I will be whole once more' the ghost said, laughing a loud cackle as it shot straight at Harry.

*

That's chapter 6, what did you think? The finale to this adventure comes next, hope your enjoying it so far…

Jms Granger.


-->