Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

Power and Persecution: Part Four

Hermione looked at her watch and sighed, it was starting to get a bit late and she had to go home soon, otherwise her mother would start thinking she had disappeared again.

`Hermione' Ron said walking up to her from across the room, he was wearing a beaming smile that told her before his words that he had good news `So, Remus thinks that he might have the potion in the tea cracked'

`He's made a cure?' Hermione asked, conscious of the fact that she had incredulousness in her voice. It was a little hard to believe that they could do something without Harry, she knew how hard she had been finding it so far and she couldn't help but think that they seemed slightly amateur. The things she had found to read through were organized in no way that man had ever done before, and the way made it impossible to find anything, consequently she hadn't gathered much ground.

`Since your Harry named what we were dealing with, where it was, and pretty much the exact mix it wasn't really very hard' Ron said with a grin.

`He's not my Harry' Hermione said in an offhand voice.

`Seems like it' Ron said smirking `he tracked us down in a matter of minutes for you, and seems only to be helping us because you wanted him to'

`How do you figure that one?' Hermione said laughing.

`I don't know…' Ron said shrugging `he jumped on board the idea when you told him about it'

`You are so off!' Hermione said throwing her head back as she laughed `he just craves the action'

`Way to go on making us feel special' Ron said chuckling `So if Harry's not yours, then who is the fortunate man?'

`Umm…' Hermione said blushing slightly `Why do you think there's a man?'

`Because if their wasn't I'm pretty sure I would have already asked you out' Ron was grinning wickedly at her `unless I'm getting sloppy in my old age?'

`It's James' Hermione admitted, her thoughts momentarily drifting to where he was and how he was doing.

`Sounds like a lucky man' Ron said.

`I doubt that' Hermione said.

`However could Hermione Granger be a bad girlfriend?' he teased.

`Try having your girlfriend disappear for six months, then when she finally appears she runs off and disappear for the evening again' Hermione said shrugging sadly `I don't think I'll be getting any girlfriend of the year awards'

`Maybe you just need a change of boyfriend?' Ron said as he took a step closer. Hermione looked up at him, her heart was beating a little faster and her throat seemed to have lost the ability to make noise.

`I hate to have to interrupt' Albus said seeming to appear from nowhere to right beside the pair, Ron smiled at her again and took a step back `we have some information, and would care to hear your opinion on the matter?'

`Shoot' Hermione said inching even more away from Ron.

`I have it from a source that I trust that the pensieve containing the memory of Harry is to be moved, tonight none the less' Albus explained `I believe you have no way to contact Harry?'

`None' Hermione said worried, that memory seemed to have been important to him, and the images she had seen hadn't left her mind since `Don't you think it's a little strange that this is happening right now, when Harry comes back to town for the first time?'

`That's exactly what I feel about this as well' Albus said his eyes sparkling g over Hermione `but however this seems, I still believe that it may be in our best interest to try and…obtain…the pensieve in some manner?' Albus said all this and looked down at her like he wanted an answer.

`Of course' she said `but how?'

`That is the problem I was trying to solve, when I figured that a resourceful girl like yourself might just be able to help' Albus said, eyes twinkling slightly in the light.

`We should launch a full out offensive' Ron said straightening up as if he was already preparing for a fight `we have enough man power to overpower the whole building, set up a containment force, before portkeying away'

`That sounds too risky' Hermione said simply `dozens of you raging in would be spotted before we got past the door'

`I am also of that opinion' Albus said agreeing `we still have no idea how the Slytherins have become more powerful, especially as their numbers are still smaller than our own'

`I was wondering about that' Hermione said curiously `How can a group of about 20 take control against your whole operation, and throw in the whole world as well, in the matter of a few weeks?'

`I see then that we have both been pondering the same question' Albus said kindly `but, I expect, that I am no closer to solving that problem after six months than you are, after two days'

`How about a small task force?' Ron said excitedly `Say, myself, Hermione, you Albus, Remus and Kingsley?'

`Even if Hermione believes this to be the right course of action, then I still wouldn't be able to join a raid' Albus said sadly.

`Why not?' Hermione asked, confused as it seemed obvious that he was the most powerful here.

`I must be here to defend against an attack' Albus said, and Hermione could tell he was upset at the idea.

`Why do you think there will be an attack' Ron asked.

`The Slytherins seem attached to the prospect of big moments' Albus said thinking `when they won the election by manner of magic was also the same evening as they attacked the school'

`They attacked a school?' Hermione said horrified.

`Do not worry, I was able to get all the pupils out unharmed' Albus said smiling sweetly `and then as they set up the testing labs they also declared Marshall Law'

`Isn't that how the Nazi's did it? Striking in multiple places and things all at the same time' Hermione pointed out as she remembered her old history classes.

`Yes, blitzkrieg was their plan of rolling over a situation in full force' Albus seemed to be enjoying the conversation.

`So their forces should be pretty thin at the building, so a small force should work pretty well' Hermione pointed out logically.

`Excellent Hermione, I can see why Harry has chosen you to travel with' Albus said, rocking back and forth slightly on the balls of his ankles.

`I can think of many other reasons for that, Albus' Ron said laughing `but I have to admit this plan is brilliant'

`How do you think we should do it?' Hermione asked, from what she had been able to gather Ron believed in the storming in belief and thought his ideas on how to do this would be invaluable.

`Well…' Ron said thinking for a moment before nodding as if to himself `Well, Me, you, Remus, Kingsley…'

`Kingsley also will not be able to attend' Albus said sadly.

`Why?' Ron demanded confused `You don't need him to protect base site'

`But I do need him for something else' Albus said strictly `and believe me when I say that I wouldn't be using him, or Alastor who will be used up also, unless I believed it to be of the utmost important'

Hermione looked at Ron who seemed ready to argue, so she spoke up first.

`When we gather the team, then what?' Hermione asked directly to Ron, who turned away from Albus to answer.

`From my scouting I know that the building is protected from a direct portkey…' Ron started but Hermione interrupted him.

`How come we were able to earlier then?' she asked confused.

`Well around the pensieve itself is still portkeyable, the Slytherins seem a little worried about anything having a detrimental effect on the memory to allow a magic prohibition to surround it' Ron said.

`Your staring to sound like Harry' Hermione said as she tried to contemplate what he was saying `but fortunately I'm starting to get used to it'

`So the problem we have is bringing a whole team in to a small space that we know existed earlier but might not anymore' Ron explained.

`Why would they change it?' Hermione asked.

`We don't know that they will' Albus said stepping in `the problem we have always had is they seem to know more than us, and we don't even know what they've decided to move the pensieve today'

`But if we could appear close to it shouldn't we try?' Hermione asked.

`And end up splinched' Ron said shaking his head `I think our best attack would be to storm the front which will be lower in numbers, break through and make our way to the area, take it then attempt to portkey out'

`And what if the portkey field is in fact up?' Hermione said.

`Then we battle out and take it out the front door' Ron said, a little sparkle in his eyes told Hermione that the idea of battling throughout the building appealed to him.

`I don't like it' Hermione said honestly.

`What do you think Hermione?' Albus asked stepping towards her slightly.

`I think we should try portkeying from the start, at least that way we'll know how were going to leave' Hermione said.

`Well…' Ron said looking intently at her `It is a risk, but maybe we could put the two together?'

`Yeah' Hermione said catching his idea `Send a group to the front for back up, while we portkey in'

`Exactly' Ron said `Splinching is a problem but if you say we should, I'm game for it'

`You two seem to be perfecting this, so I shall go and set up the portkey' Albus said happily `you two come to me when all the preparations are ready'

Hermione watched as he gave her a little bow and a nod to Ron before walking away to a different room, leaving her with Ron to make their plans.

`Lets get this all planned out, we can't afford a mistake' Ron said, no trace of a smile, just concentration.

`Ok' Hermione said brightly `lets save the world'

*

`Are you sure that everything is set?' Albus asked looking at her directly.

`We think so' Hermione said attempting a smile, her stomach now playing up a little as she looked around at these people. Five would be sent to the outside of the building while her, Ron, Remus, Jack and Sarah would try and take the Pensieve. All of them were worried about the Portkey except Hermione, who just somehow knew that it would work.

`We are set up and ready to do this' Ron said confidently.

`While I have to admit a little bit of nerves' Remus admitted `are you sure that the portkey field will not be up?'

`Remus, trust me on this' Hermione said . Remus looked at her for a few moments then nodded.

`Now if everyone is ready, if you would all put a hand on this' Albus said holding out a can of coke, and for a moment Hermione wondered why.

`Ok, we're ready' Jack said taking the thing in his hand of Albus, he was a stocky man who was more adept at just taking orders than most, and Hermione knew that he could come in handy. Sarah however seemed incredibly scared at their plan and as she held out a finger anyone could see her hand shaking back and forth violently. Ron had promised her that she was a good witch, and Hermione had to accept it as she didn't know the girl.

She put her hand out at the same time as Remus and Ron, and all waited, worrying that something was going to go wrong, especially as so many things could happen. Hermione wasn't so much worried about the portkey not working, she had gathered from Harry that you had to be bold in situations like this, but the problem was that she wasn't sure what she was walking into.

She looked up at Ron who seemed nervous, but as he noticed her looking he gave her a smile just at the same time as the feeling of the portkey took over and she was pulled violently from what felt like her whole face, but fortunately just as the feeling had come over her it had finished and she stumbled on her feet and nearly fell over. Ron had threw his arms out under her and kept her up.

`In future I have to remember not to try and give my best smile as I'm about to portkey' he said laughing slightly as he let go of her and removed his wand. Hermione looked about and saw that the others had their wands out already and had fanned out along the walls. As she looked around she realized she was in a corridor close to the pensieve and that no one else seemed to be about. The corridor was shrouded in near darkness and only the slight humming of the sound of pipes was happening.

`Lead the way quickly, Ron' Remus said shooting the pair of them an anxious glance. Ron nodded at him and led the way, Hermione following next to him as they walked down towards the door. Hermione only noticed that they were there when Ron turned and pushed open the door, and instantly she could see the glimmering silver light of the pensieve.

`Quickly' the girl name Sarah said nervously as she stood by the door.

`Working on it' Remus said, he was now standing by the pensieve and running a hand quickly over it.

Hermione stepped up quickly next to it and looked down at the swirling picture infront of her. She could see Harry walking forward again, but it wasn't her Harry but a younger one. Now she knew what was happening she could see it all clearer and he looked a different person, not the care free, rather eccentric, man that she had met and got to know.

`Something's wrong' Ron said, and Hermione forced herself to tear her eyes away from the images and look at him. He was looking around the room, wand raised as if ready for an attack.

`What?' Remus said urgently looking at Ron.

`Hermione, what else was in this room before?' Ron said as he stepped back so his back was against the wall. Hermione looked around and gasped slightly.

`Where have all the boxes gone?' Hermione said, standing stock still in worry, but Ron's voice didn't answer.

`We've already moved them' a slow drawling voice said as the door pushed open, and in walked the blonde haired boy who had been her boss, flanked by a dozen or so men all wearing what she now realized couldn't be anything else than robes.

`Draco' Ron said stiffly and walking over and stepping in front of Hermione. She shifted to his side, determined to do what she could to get out of this situation.

`If you would drop your wand, Ron, I would hate for you people to get hurt' he sneered in an ugly way at Ron. Remus and the others had joined them and now all were facing the Slytherins. Hermione noticed that Draco appeared to be amongst the youngest, with the majority of them all being middle aged men.

`We wont' Ron said stiffly, Hermione could tell that he was looking around for any way of getting out of here, but she couldn't see anyway out for them, all she could think to do was buy time.

`Why are you people wearing robes?' Hermione said, it was the first thought that had crossed her mind and by the confusion that appeared on most of their faces it seemed to work.

`How dare you talk to me, you filthy little mudblood' Draco sneered at her nastily.

`What did you call me?' Hermione said, trying to suppress a little giggle which she quickly realized wasn't the usual reaction.

`I'll have you for that' Ron snarled angrily stepping forward.

`What?' Draco said in pretend fear `you four and the muggle are going to take us all down?'

`You…' Ron barked angrily at the man, but Hermione cut him off, she was buying time and knew Ron was getting ready for a fight.

`You seem to have forgotten someone' Hermione said simply. At her words all of them looked straight at her, and she could tell that a note of fear had come over them.

`Where is he?' Draco spoke confidently.

`And why would I tell you that?' Hermione asked brightly as she tried to hide the fear that griped her, the Slytherins had been spreading out slightly and now they had started to arc around them and things were looking worse.

`If you haven't realized little girl…' Draco started.

`If you call me little girl anymore then I'll call you little boy, deal?' Hermione said annoyed, enjoying the image of Draco blushing slightly.

`We hold all the cards, now tell me where he is' Draco sneered.

`Cards?' Hermione said throwing her head back as she laughed `Ron, who is this guy?'

At that moment she felt a sharp pain flash across her face as she fell backwards to the floor. She had hit the ground by the time she had realized that Draco had hit her, and had hit her hard. She stumbled to her feet as the sound of a fight broke out above her, and as she put a hand to her face she realized that Draco must have been wearing a ring as the blood was flowing down her cheek.

`You…' Hermione shouted as she tried to slap Draco, but all that happened was she was grabbed roughly by two large men and thrown against the wall, her face pushed up hard against the wall, her cut pushed against the wall so hard that the stinging was starting to get so bad that she could feel she was close to passing out.

`That's not a good thing to try, little girl' Draco spat as he laughed in her face.

Hermione went to answer but looked around, the other four had been grabbed and pushed hard against the wall, no sight that magic had been used once, she grumbled to herself that her thought that they had been amateur seemed incredible correct.

`I swear I'm going to kill you Draco' Ron spat as he was pushed harder against the wall.

`I actually think it'll be me doing the killing' Draco said walking up closer to him. Hermione tried to move and struggle against the two men holding her but couldn't break the lock they had on her. She watched as Draco looked at Ron for a moment before hitting him straight in the face, the sickening sound of a crunch as Ron's head smashed back hard against the wall `That was actually as much fun as I thought it would be'

`Your not going to get away with this' Hermione said, trying to sound as confident as possible. Draco smiled and walked over towards her.

`How could we possibly not get away with this' Draco asked with a sarcastic smile on his face `Your all going to die, then we're going to…meet…your Harry'

`And then he's not going to let you get away with this' Hermione said wishing that she could move out of this hold and get away slightly.

`We'll see about that' Draco said spinning around to face the others `Remus, what happened when you tried to do magic? You know, just after I slapped the mud blood'

Hermione looked at Remus who she hadn't seen yet. He was also pinned up nastily against the wall, his limbs at weird angles as he tried to fight against it. Etched all over his face was a sight that she wished she had never seen, pure fear.

Draco stopped all off a sudden as everyone else did and looked around confused, a low humming noise bouncing around the room. Hermione smiled as she heard it, and knew that finally things were turning back around.

`Keep them held!' Draco spat at the other Slytherins, as he wheeled around and his eyes searched around as he tried to locate where it was coming from.

The door appeared right in front of her in the middle of the air as she knew it would do, and as the door opened she smiled as she saw her Harry step out and look around. He looked around and smiled slightly, an apparent air of confusion on his face as he ran his hands through his hair. After a moment he saw Hermione and walked over towards her.

`One thing!' Harry said dramatically strolling up like he didn't have a care in the world, Hermione noticed that all off the Slytherins looked worried `Only one thing I asked you, and that was to make sure that they didn't do anything stupid!'

`We were actually doing this for you' Hermione said, she could feel that the two men holding her was loosening their grip but she still couldn't get away properly.

`Really?' Harry said stopping excitedly mid step, he was now only a matter of a metre away from her `did it work as well as you had hoped?'

`Obviously not' Draco sneered, he had now walked up closer to Harry, but seemed to be keeping a bit of distance. Harry looked at him for a few moments before turning towards him.

`How rude of me' Harry said extending his hand out towards him which Draco didn't take `I'm Harry potter, I assume you know me'

`We know off you' Draco said simply, his eyes were darting over him like he was weighing him up for a fight.

`Please don't say you gathered your info from Hermione's mother' Harry said with a smile `She doesn't hold a great opinion of me'

`We've gathered many sources on you' Draco said `And surely you know of us?'

`Not a clue' Harry said happily before he turned back to her `What the hell are you doing?'

`What do you mean?' Hermione asked confused.

`Why are you being pushed up against a wall?' Harry said genuinely bewildered.

`Well it wasn't much of a choice' Hermione said, the two holding her was loosening their grip even more and now she knew she could escape, but she decided she should take Harry's lead on what to do.

`Draco, my old Slytherin pal, tell your guys to let go of Hermione' Harry said turning towards him.

Draco looked at Harry for a few moments before he turned to the men and nodded, and as they let go she ran over to Harry and threw her arms around him. She pushed her head so hard against Harry's chest she could hear his heart beat, and just the sound made her smile

`That's better' Harry said, as he ran a hand through the back of her hair.

`I'm sorry' Hermione whispered, she looked around at her new friends who were still being held by their captives, while all eyes watched upon Harry.

`That's ok' he said smiling at her `now to work. Draco, what do you guys want exactly?'

`What?' Draco said a little flustered at his question.

`Harry…' Ron said but Harry interrupted him.

`Why have you guys taken over the world and tried to hunt me down?' Harry explained like Draco was a simpleton.

`Are we going to be that vulgar?' Draco asked sarcastically.

`You just hit a woman, so I think vulgar seems to be the setting' Harry said nodding.

`Ok then' Draco said recovering himself `We want you to join us, teach us of your magic, think of what we could accomplish with your help'

`What do you want to accomplish exactly' he asked curiously.

`We want what you want, power' Draco said simply.

`Now why do you assume I want power?' he asked.

`You travel through time and space to save the world, you've invented things that should never have existed for your personal use' Draco said taking a step forward `You seek knowledge and power for yourself, to use as you want'

`The old were just like you line' Harry said rolling with laughter `You guys are so retro!'

`But we are the same' Draco said, Hermione could tell that he had to work hard to keep his cool at Harry's laughter that was still coming.

`Harry…' Ron said urgently but Harry ignored him again.

`If I wanted to take over the world and rule it, don't you think I already would have?' Harry said shaking his head back and forth `power wise you people aren't even close to my league, I use my knowledge and power for my own use, but fortunately that is for the greater good'

`So you refuse?' Draco said as he looked at his friends, Hermione knew he was telling them to get ready.

`Come on, you didn't actually expect me to join you?' Harry said laughing `you even went about and hit Hermione, that's gotta mean you knew I wouldn't'

`You will join us' Draco said, he was now slightly bearing his teeth, like an animal readying for an attack.

`I'm assuming you have a plan? You seem to be a fan of the retro so I'm guessing that it revolves around blackmail or force?' Harry said stepping up close to Draco and tilting his head close to his, whispering the next words `You better think long and hard before you go and start a war with me'

`I'm pretty sure that we'll cope, thank you' Draco sneered at him back.

`HARRY!' Ron yelled at the top of his voice making all eyes shoot to him.

`What the hell could be so important to mess up mine and blondies dramatic showdown?' Harry said looking at Ron.

`We couldn't use magic' Ron said. Hermione looked at Harry whose face turned blank while a smile spread over Dracos'.

`See, I think you may just be joining us' Draco said with a low laugh as two men walked up and stood next to Harry, ready to pounce on him.

`Now that's clever' Harry said looking off slightly into the distance `incredibly clever'

`Thank you' Draco said with a grin, obviously loving his apparent victory.

`But how did you manage to only block a persons magic but still allow portkeys, that's beyond you' Harry said his eyes shooting quickly to Dracos enquiringly.

`It's simple really' Draco said confidently '20 of us all pulling together, you wouldn't imagine what we can accomplish'

'20 of you pulling together…' Harry said looking at him `but does that mean…oh, Fantastic!'

Harry bounced slightly on the balls of his feet in excitement looking all over Draco before he stopped on his hand.

`And you're keeping it all in a ring?' Harry said laughing `It always surprises me how you guys like your rings, I'm much more of a watch man myself, '

`It's simple and impossible to lose' Draco said confidently, another two men walked up around Harry and herself, and the feeling of confusions and fear hung over her, while Harry seemed as happy as ever.

`Hermione, remind me to get a watch next time were out' Harry said flashing Hermione a grin.

`What are you talking about?' Hermione asked nudging Harry.

`I think we'd all like to know that one' Ron said, he was now barely being held as everyone's concentration was now on Harry and Draco.

`Oh, I'm sorry' Harry said looking at Hermione `I've explained how people hold a certain amount of power in themselves…'

`Like how the magicallds feed of off it?' Hermione asked.

`Exactly' Harry said brightly `Now usually how powerful a person is means how much magic they can produce, like a battery might be alright for powering a torch but not strong enough to run a car?'

`Ok…' Hermione said as she tried to process all the information.

`Well these delightfully resourceful Slytherins have managed to find a way to use their individual power collectively, allowing them to perform tasks one of them could never hope to achieve' Harry said brightly like the information was a joy to hear.

`So that's how they've managed to do everything?' Ron asked, his voice between impressed and anger.

`Yep, their all linked twenty four hours a day, and while it doesn't make all that much difference on the day to day issues went hey gather and work together they can produce some marvellous magic' Harry explained cheerfully.

`How did they manage that?' Remus asked looking interestedly at Draco

`We stumbled across the idea when we found the memory of you' Draco was obviously excited and enjoying being able to brag.

`So what do we do know?' Hermione asked stepping closer towards Harry.

`Well we go with them' Harry said shaking his head like Hermione's question had been foolish.

`Where?' she asked.

`I guess to some sort of laboratory where they try and force all of the power out of me and your friends there and into a stock pile that they can push into their rings' Harry said happily as if the idea was exciting `I should say it will probably be a painful and messy process, but I'm sure they'll crack it eventually'

`But…?' Hermione said stunned at Harry's lack of fight.

`You let me down, Harry potter' Draco said with a bitter laugh `We had been led to believe you were some sort of all powerful god, and now I see that you give up without a fight?'

`I never claimed to be all powerful, more like a realist about my ability, which unfortunately came up lacking this time' Harry said with a little smile `Shall we get going?'

`Eager to meet your death?' Draco said surprised.

`More like I'm eager to stretch my legs' Harry said lightly `I've been doing so much reading for the last few days and need the walk'

`Uh…ok…' Draco said confused before he nodded to his friends who started to drag the others from the room.

`Help! Please don't do this!' Sarah screamed in panic as she looked desperately at Harry.

`Don't blame me' Harry said shrugging his shoulders.

`You'll pay for this!' Ron said as they dragged him violently through the door, his legs and arms flailing desperately as he tried to free himself.

`Is he always that argumentative?' Harry said in disbelief looking at Hermione who couldn't believe how Harry was acting. Hermione watched with her mouth agape as Jack and Remus was dragged off, only looking sadly at the man they thought would save them, the man who was now letting them down as they were sent to their deaths.

`I'm afraid that your friends seem to feel let down?' Draco said as he tried to keep himself from smiling.

`Their not my friends' Harry said brightly before adding `Me and Hermione can walk by ourselves, which way is it?'

`Rockwell, lead the way' Draco said as a large built man turned and walked through the door, Harry practically skipping after the man. Hermione had to almost jog to keep up, as she made her way to her death, with nothing but a man she had once called her hero for company.

*

Ok, first off I'm sorry for how long this has taken! I'm really, really sorry actually, please forgive me? I've been incredibly busy, plus I've been ill a lot, plus I got a new job. But now everything's settled so you can expect an update every day or two from now on like usual…

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it, and hope you like the next part, which will be the conclusion to this adventure!

Jms Granger

P.S the next adventure will be a cracker!...


-->