Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf... by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter: Bad Wolf...

jms granger

The Stranded Hole: Part 6

`What is it?' Hermione said but quickly added as he realized she was being rude `I mean what is…he…called?'

`It's…' Harry said his voice sounding surprised `…it's the Magicallds'

`That is not our name anymore' the no longer called Magicallds said.

`So enlighten us' Harry said sweetly as he turned to look at Hermione quickly and rolled his eyes.

`We are nameless' they said, the hundreds of voices was slowly becoming one with every word, but the image was still detail-less and wasn't improving at all.

`Then, for lack of a better term, I'm going to call you…ooohhh…what do you think Hermione?' Harry said sarcastically `I got it! Magicallds! Is that alright by you?'

`If Harry Potter, our past saviour, the man who gave us life wishes it, then he may' the newly renamed Magicallds said.

`So what are you doing here?' Hermione asked quickly. None of this made sense, and they were the last…things…Hermione expected to find here. Especially as the last time she saw them was 44 years in the future.

`We have come…' the Magicallds said hesitating momentarily `because we wish to…meet…Harry Potter again…and we knew your family was in this time zone…'

`What have you done with Draco?' Hermione asked quickly as she saw that Draco wasn't moving, even his eyes sat unblinking.

`We don't wish for him to hear what we have to say…they are nothing but the bodies, helping us because we promise them power…' The Magicallds said, his voice sounding very indifferent to Dracos state `we have temporarily frozen him in time'

`Saves me the effort of doing it' Harry's aid shrugging not even looking at Draco before carrying on with sarcasm dripping his words `So you've come to just say hello?' `then you're going of back…wherever you came from'

`No' the Magicallds said, the voices had now all died down and had been morphed into one, but the featureless blue body was still there and not changing or moving one atom.

`I thought you were just going to observe?' Harry said in annoyance, sounding like a school teacher telling off his pupils `to watch time unfold'

`And we did' the Magicallds said, their voice sounding bitter `all the way till the end'

`Watch some more then' Harry said in his annoyed voice once again `obviously you can travel through time'

`We did' the Magicallds said `we've seen it all'

`Now that's just silly talk' Harry said waving this away with his hands, but Hermione saw something that looked like apprehension in his eyes.

`We are pure energy, and have never been corporeal' the Magicallds said `we saw you and watched how the Anglia worked. After consideration we applied the same principals of energy being pushed against this world to create a dent, and we found it was like second nature for us'

`I hate energy based organisms' Harry groaned `they have their own set of rules for everything'

`And we live forever' the Magicallds said `no young or old…just life'

`So I'm guessing you've seen a lot then?' Harry asked strolling up closer to them and looking closely into their shining blue body `and something you saw led you back here?'

`Everything we saw lead us back here' the Magicallds hissed `to where Harry Potter would most likely appear, visiting the family of his Hermione'

`At least someone thinks she's mine' Harry grumbled making Hermione confused but before she could think on this Harry was off again, speaking brightly as he walked back and forth in front of the blue body Hermione was still unsure if it was just the one of them or all of them. Harry continued speaking brightly `so what's so interesting about me, as a fellow traveller through space and time I know for a fact a couple… maybe one or two, somewhere… more exciting things exist'

`We've seen them all' the Magicallds said.

`You keep saying that!' Harry said hotly `what do you mean'

`Your mortal mind keeps forgetting something' the Magicallds said but Harry looked at them confused.

`How old are you?' Hermione asked as she realized what they meant.

`It's uncountable' the Magicallds said, fear and sorrow in its voice `we've seen the start of the universe and its end, we live outside of time and have seen it all so many times…we have seen everything'

`Oh my god' Hermione said throwing a hand over her mouth horrified at the idea.

`I don't believe you' Harry said, his voice low and determined.

`Believing something doesn't change reality' the Magicallds said unworried.

`If you've seen everything, which I really do doubt, what did I have for Christmas dinner, 148,041?' Harry said shooting Hermione a confident grin.

`You didn't eat' the Magicallds said `you were temporarily incarcerated in New New Jersey mental institution because of your rather excessive use of a dead word, that being fantastic, which was judged as a prison worthy offence. You broke out of there the next day by…'

`Ok. So you saw that' Harry interrupted frowning, before grinning again `I once told a friend what my favourite Shakespearian play was…who was that friend?'

`You have never had such a conversation, but you once told Charles that your second favourite was Othello' the Magicallds replied, their voices sounding lifeless and bored as they rattled of these facts.

`Ok…' Harry said slowly.

`But we would predict that your favourite is Much Ado About Nothing' the Magicallds interrupted `as you have seen it performed 17 times in 14 vastly different time periods'

`I…' Harry said losing the ability to speak.

`Do you believe us now?' the Magicallds asked.

`Not yet…' Harry said shaking his head and wiping the impressed look of his face `you may be made of pure energy and thus able to bend through time, but how the hell is your memory so good?'

`Because we watch you' the Magicallds replied lifelessly.

`Because you, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, you two…' the Magicallds voice dropped lower in a frenzied way `…you change time!'

`And that's all you have left, isn't it?' Hermione said, she couldn't help but feel sorry for them, repeating time forever and never being able to see anything new.

`We have watched you for the last year…Harry longer than that' the Magicallds said sounding depressed `but you are mortal…and you will be gone in a blink of an eye…and we will be left once again with nothing…'

`So what?' Harry said cockily `you came here, manipulated events to meet so you could what? Ask us to never die, because that we cant do'

`We know that, and we are sorry' the Magicallds said softly `now we wish to escape'

`You know what? We are very similar, maybe we'll even end up like you, bored of time and life' Harry said pleadingly `we travel through time, seeing things for the first time, or reliving history! But we don't want to escape, we want to explore even more! Find the next big thrill'

`There is nothing more' the Magicallds said sadly `not in this world, anyway'

`You don't mean…' Harry said slowly.

`We are going to open a hole to the void' the Magicallds said, their voice getting louder and shriller.

`You can't' Harry said looking at them nonplussed `not even I can do that'

`But you can…the field you contained us in, and where you sent that ghost?' the Magicallds said, its voices getting more passionate with every syllable.

`I just pushed it through this world, its just luck that the void is on the other side' Harry said shaking his head.

`You were able to push against this world' the Magicallds said animatedly.

`The field was just me pressing on this world, with every bit of power I had, and only a few atoms of void stuff came through, disappearing as the tension was released!' Harry said shaking his head more and more `and pushing something inanimate through is nothing like manipulating the void to allow a whole species to jump through…you just can't manage it! '

`But what if you had pushed harder…' the Magicallds said, their words were light and soft on the air.

`Then…' Harry stopped as he said that word, a worried confused look on his face.

`Then we can leave' the Magicallds stated, hope seemed to be in their voice.

`Fracturing this world as you leave' Harry's voice was angry `allowing the void into this world as you leave it and bringing the world through with you'

`That is a risk…' the Magicallds said uncertainly `but not a certainty'

`How can you take that risk?' Harry said amazed `why is it your right to take that risk!'

`Life is intolerable and we can't die!' the Magicallds hissed `what would you do?'

`If you've seen everything then shouldn't you already know exactly what I would do, in every single possible situation' Harry snapped angrily.

`And we know you would do anything…anything…' the Magicallds said slightly impressed `for those you love, for your family of friends…we, the Magicallds as you call us, are more than family, we are each other, the same force'

`And knowing me as you do' Harry said with a bitter grin `you must be able to tell exactly what I would when confronted with someone who could kill?'

`You would try to stop them' the Magicallds conceded, sounding like they were actually sighing `but we're not evil…'

`Why aren't you?' Harry asked shaking his head.

`We don't seek power like the Slytherins' the Magicallds said with pleading lining their words `all we wish for is to escape this…this…this hell'

`And I cant let you do that' Harry said `for one it'd be like committing suicide'

`Not if you came with us?' the Magicallds said `you and Hermione'

`We wont' Hermione said disbelieving.

`You heard the lady' Harry said slowly as he stared straight at the Magicallds.

`So this is it?' the Magicallds said tonelessly `we become enemies?'

`I think you'll find that we already are' Harry said, his voice low and dangerous.

`Then…' the Magicallds said slowly `when we meet again…'

The room flashed bright as the Magicallds words echoed in her ears. She felt weightless as the lights blinded her temporarily but quickly it was all over and straight in front of her was the familiar sight of Harry. She threw her arms up and pulled him into a hug, happy to be out of there before it turned to silence.

`Thanks for getting us out' Hermione said as she broke the hug and looked around and realized she was back at her mother house `although I wouldn't expect you to pick here?'

`I didn't apparate us' Harry said shaking his head `it was the Magicallds…damn good trick as well'

`Well, at least we're safe' Hermione said smiling hopefully.

`They didn't want to hurt us' Harry's aid dismissively `otherwise they would have apparated us into a volcano or into space'

`Oh my god!' her mother squealed as she walked into the room, frying pan in hand and raised in preparation for attack `It's you two!'

`Who did you think it was?' Hermione asked, unable to help herself from laughing as her mother tried to find a place to put the frying pan and ended up just dumping it behind the sofa.

`God knows what!' her mother said, now smiling as she hugged the pair of them, even though the hug to Harry seemed slightly false. She started to sit down and her and Harry followed her lead, Harry sulking back in his chair `It's not that I'm not pleased to see you, but just why are you back?'

`It's a really long story' Hermione said pleadingly.

`Fine' her mother said rolling her eyes `you kids and your secrets…'

`Thanks mum' Hermione said smiling. Her mother had always had a sixth sense about when not to press a conversation and she was pleased to see it still working after the many months apart.

`So how long you back this time?' her mother asked.

`We cant really say' Hermione said shaking her head, she really wanted to be alone with Harry for a few moments and felt guilty about wanting her mother to disappear `can we have a cuppa?'

`I though you'd never ask!' her mother smiled as she stood up and walked of towards the kitchen, pausing at the door to add `Harry, you want it black as usual?'

`Thanks' Harry said nodding.

`Like your clothes' she heard her mother mutter `completely dull.

`We show up out of the blue and she still has to moan about my fashion sense?' Harry said staring incredulously after her.

`She just likes colour' Hermione chuckled `and isn't your biggest fan over anything'

`Really?' Harry said in mock surprise `I thought being called a jkidnapper was a compliment!'

`Leave her alone' Hermione said rolling her eyes, but she had to admit she enjoyed her mothers bickering with Harry. She was after all, beside Hermione herself, the only person who didn't treat Harry like some sort of hero or demi-god. To her mother Harry was just the friend of her daughters who she thought was a bad influence, and Hermione had to admit she did have a point.

`Oh, do I hate the Magicallds now!' Harry suddenly lurched forward and groaned.

`But you'll stop them, wont you?' Hermione asked brightly.

`Who knows' Harry said weighing up his words `I know a lot of thinigs, but what they've got themselves into is really on the edge of my knowledge…completely unproven theories and ideas…'

`So it's not just me who didn't understand everything properly?' Hermione said cheering up slightly.

`The composition and effects of the void?' Harry said brightly `no one really knows'

`Why would they want to go to the void?' Hermione blurted out confused. She remembered the look on the ghost as he was sent there, and the fear was complete, and Harry had explained to her how it was, in effect, hell.

`Because then they can travel to other worlds…' Harry said shaking his head `Their not our usual crowd of the insane and evil, but something more dangerous than that'

`What are they then?' Hermione asked not liking the tone of Harry's voice that was low and pensive.

`Their idiots' Harry said sighing `desperate enough to try whatever they can to escape their prisons…so they can travel from world to world searching out new events'

`What do you mean by worlds?' Hermione said confused `and how does the void help?'

`Ok' Harry said turning to face her `think of a book, the first page is our world, the second page is another world…their both incredibly close, but very different…the two can touch but you couldn't rub the words of one onto the other'

`Ok…' Hermione said listening carefully.

`And each of these pages are different choices… the science fiction writers call them parallel universes' Harry spoke very rapidly `now in-between these pages is air, even when its shut there's atoms of air, a complete non entity for the book…that stuff is the void…'

`But how do you get form one to the other' Hermione asked.

`If you dropped a blob of ink onto our page and pushed it against the next one, then you would in essence be creating a bridge and air would be unable to occupy the same space as the ink….and thus the void would no longer exist between the two, and you could step between the two'

`But don't they want to go to the void, not get it away?' Hermione asked.

`There both the same thing' Harry said sighing `if a breach happens, of a big enough amount, enough ink to use our metaphor, then the void would stop to exist'

`Why?' Hermione asked.

`Because nothing is impossible' Harry said, his voice low and slightly scared `mathematically and factually impossible'

`But you said its there' Hermione said confused.

`Haven't I showed you that impossible usually means its true?' Harry said giving her a weak little smile `do you get any of this?'

`I think so…' Hermione said concentrating `but one thing…'

`Whatever it is ill try my best to explain' Harry said patiently.

`An ink blob isn't very dangerous is it?' Hermione said.

`Maybe not' Harry said shrugging `but it depends on how much ink is used and, probably more importantly, just how absorbent this world is…'

`I guess so' Hermione said nodding as she thought she could understand it now `the book could be made from hard back paper, or tissue?'

`And one blob of ink to tissue and this page will absorb it instantly' Harry said sighing `and maybe the whole book along with it'

`Here is your drinks' her mother said as she walked back into the room carrying the three cups expertly in her two hands.

`Thanks mum' she said as she took a huge sip `I needed that'

`I like your top' her mother said after a few moments `although I'm worried that its the same one that you left in…'

`I do change my clothes' Hermione said indignantly.

`So its just a coincidence?' her mother said raising an eyebrow.

`No' Hermione said `it's because we haven't gone anywhere'

`Oh' her mother said before smiling broadly `you giving up the travelling?'

`No mother' Hermione groaned.

`Maybe you should think about it' she said encouragingly, but stopped as she heard the front door push open. Harry slid his hand to his pocket ready for what was coming.

`Mrs Granger!' James called as he burst into the room `Hermione's….home…'

`Hi James' Hermione said, letting go of Harry's hand. Even though she could hold Harry's hand in front of any amount of creatures, peoples and wizards who were trying to kill her, holding it in front of her ex-boyfriend was a completely different matter.

`What are you two doing here?' James said looking around the place as if he was expecting to see a wildebeest in the corner.

`Long story' Harry said sighing `and not one I really care to relive again'

`Hermione' James said urgently as he sat next to her, taking her hand in his `what has happened?'

`James…' Hermione said withdrawing her hand from his.

`You can trust me…' James said smiling `and maybe I can help'

`Go on love' her mum encouraged `James is such a nice boy'

`Please tell him, Hermione' Harry groaned `otherwise your mother will carry on for hours'

`Ok…but this will sound strange' Hermione said uncertain where to start.

`Like the man you thought had abducted your girlfriend showing up and asking you for help to take down some evil wizards?' James said laughing `I've gotten pretty used to strange'

`So he needed your help?' he mother said looking at Harry, but the three of them ignored her.

`I guess so' Hermione said, she hadn't thought about it but James' life had changed nearly as much as her own after meeting Harry `Well, in the year 2050 we went to this unicorn sanctuary and…well I don't know the all the science behind it but some magical parasites got into their bloodstream and used it to become sentient…we let them leave so they could observe life, but after trillions of years of travelling back and forth through time they have gotten bored, hating their prison…now they wish to open up a hole in this world to escape it to another dimension, which may just cause this world to fracture and cave into the void'

`Whoo…' James said with his eyes wide in confusion `I didn't get any of that!'

`I'm sorry' Hermione said sighing `these things are harder to explain than they are to understand!'

`Maybe you'll forgive me next time I go on a spiel?' Harry said laughing `Bad guys, made form pure magic, are going to try and destroy the world so they can escape it'

`Oh' James said his eyes instantly shooting back to Hermione's `what are we going to do?'

`I think he makes most of it up' Hermione's mum said shooting Harry a little dirty look, evidently still not over him taking away her daughter.

`I don't know' Harry said shaking his head `I know I'll end up trying something but I have no idea what'

`You being serious?' James said astounded `you haven't got a plan?'

`The void isn't a topic you can just read up about' Harry said hotly `and if you experiment with it to much you might just undo the world'

`So your going to stop the Magicallds?' Hermione offered.

`Their immortal' Harry said shaking his head.

`The ghost was already dead' Hermione pointed out.

`He was only one entity, and ghosts aren't complete energy…' Harry said shaking his head `near but not complete'

`So what's you trick going to be?' James said grinning.

`I…' Harry started but then stopped, his whole body freezing and his eyes stopped moving. When he spoke his voice was low and lifeless as his body didn't respond `I don't think I can stop them'

The whole room stopped, even her mother looked at Harry worriedly. Hermione had heard him claim things to be impossible before, to not be able to think of a way out of it, but this time it was different. This time he was fine at first, and it was trying to work out a plan that had stumped him, and the problem was he didn't know enough. James was now looking at Harry strangely, a fierce determination shining from behind his eyes.

`Why do you think I've never tried to convince Hermione to come home?' James said, his voice shaky as he spoke `when I've had to wake up every single day for the past year knowing that I wouldn't just be able to call her because she was off gods knows where?'

`Lack of confidence?' Harry joked, but he was cringing slightly.

`Because who could compare to you?' James said, his voice steadying slightly `Harry Potter, the time traveller'

`James…' Hermione said feeling slightly tearful, she wished she hadn't caused James any pain, and she wished with all her heart she knew what to say to take it away.

`No, its ok' James said looking at her before turning back to Harry and speaking forcefully `I'm not, and never will be, in your league…the wizards here, who can do things I could only dream of, are not even close to you! Let's face it, you're the hero here, the one we need, to lead us, to save us! And you took her away, showed her the world and time…'

`James please, stop' Hermione said, her eyes were brimming slightly with tears.

`I'm done' James said holding up his hands `I've said everything I wanted to say'

`And what do you want me to say to that?' Harry said incredulously `sorry I took your girlfriend away? Sorry that I can't always save the day? That sometimes I, Harry potter the time traveller, can fail?'

`No' James said shaking his head `this isn't about saving the day, or failing?'

`Then what?' Harry snapped, but he was staring at James in concentration.

`To be who you are' James said simply `Harry Potter…the man who's always there, always trying, and not because we need him, or even sometimes that we want you…but because he has no other choice but to be himself'

`I…' Harry said blinking slightly as he couldn't tear his eyes from James.

`Harry?' Hermione said looking up at him.

`Ok' Harry said slowly standing up.

`Ok?' Hermione said `you'll try?'

`Naturally' Harry said looking down at James `it's who I am after all'

`But what can you do?' Hermione asked worriedly `if they've seen everything, then won't they be able to predict your actions. Won't they be ready for you?'

`Fantastic! Hermione you are absolutely fantastic!' Harry almost bellowed as he punched the air, a sparkle fluttering through his eyes `you've just made the plan for me…the tiny glimmer of hope that will bring us through'

`What do you mean?' James asked confused.

`You're in muggle-wizard relations, right?' Harry said, a grin forming on his face.

`Yeah…' James said uncertainly.

`Round them up' Harry said quickly, his voice low and fierce `anyone of age and who can hold their own in a fight'

`What are you going to do?' James asked, his face resolute as he took Harry's orders.

`We are going to go to them… head on' Harry said determinedly `ladies and gentlemen…we're going to war'

*

Hey, Hope you enjoyed that…the world may just be sucked into nothingness? Who believes in Harry? Anyone out there think he'll fail? Anyone wondering just who will be dying this adventure (or did I not mention that before???)…

Hope you like what's coming…

Jms Granger…


-->