Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Doesn't Know by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Doesn't Know

i found nemo

Disclaimer: I don't own anything.

Harry Doesn't Know

Chapter 10: All Pooped Out and A Near Fatal Drowning

A/N: Thanks for all your guys' help. I've read every single reviewer's ideas and reasoning and I have made my decision, so thank you all for your tremendous help. Now to explain why I didn't update when I said I would, my daughter had an allergic reaction and ended up in the hospital late Friday night and all of Saturday. She's fine now, back to playing football in the house in her tutu and waking me up in the early hours to bake a cake for Captain Crunch's [her puppy] birthday.

Okay so enough with my rambling and onto the chapter. I hope you guys like it and keep in mind I AM a bloke, but I think it went pretty smoothly.

The quartet were sitting quietly on an old stone staircase facing the street, waiting for their ride. Hermione had her chin in hand and was trying desperately to keep her eyes open. Harry was slumped against a pillar, rubbing a hand over his forehead. Neville and Ron however, were both wide awake, Ron leaning back casually with a small smile looking at Neville who was sitting up straight and alert, eyes wide open looking out into nothingness.

"So," started Ron wanting to ignite conversation between the gloomy bunch. No one acknowledged him, Neville still staring aimlessly.

"Wild night, eh?" asked Ron with a wry grin, again trying to start a discussion. Hermione gave him a scowl while Neville's eyes darted around nervously.

"Yeah, pretty wild. I mean I know I was out of control. But what about you guys... Neville?" Ron asked after no one responded.

Neville gulped loudly, "Yeah, it was fun." he whispered hoarsely.

"Oh come on Neville, it was beyond fun! You kind of disappeared there for a bit at the end... what happened? Run off with any cute girls?" Ron wiggled his eyebrows at him when Neville gasped.

"Ron quit," Hermione warned fixing him with a glare.

"Uh, no, no girls." replied Neville, shuffling his feet on the ground.

"Oh, of course. Hey Nev, can I see your Krammer's?" Neville silently handed the book of to Ron while he immediately started flipping through it.

"Oh look Bratislava!" he said pointing at a page in the book. "Hmm, interesting, it's the capital of Slovakia, home to the National Slovakian Gallery, oh here's a fun fact! You snogged a hag!"

"I did not!" shouted Neville quickly as Ron started roaring in laughter. "She was a girl when I kissed her!"

"Neville... had a... snog session with...-" laughed Ron, holding the book to his chest for air support.

"Enough Ron!" moaned Harry from the corner who was now massaging his forehead carefully.

"Oh, you're right mate," said Ron regaining his composure, "How's it feel that Neville got more action from a hag last night then you did from Herm-"

"SHUT UP!" chorused all three looking at Ron in disgust as he rolled over in the grass laughing at the three's expression.

Before Ron could encourage the fight anymore a small compact car pulled up screeching to a halt in front of them.

"'Ey Americans! You want go to Berlin? I'm your ride, hop in!" The man they had met yesterday morning was waiting for them in the car, clad with slicked back white hairs and button down Hawaiian shirt.

The four looked cautiously between themselves before gathering their belongings and cramming into the small car.

...

"Uh-oh," said McGruff from the driver's seat.

"What's uh-oh?" asked Hermione, crinkling a brow in worry. They had been driving for the past five hours in which the man called McGruff went on and on about what he loved about America and interrogated the four on why they did not watch 'Miami Vize'. Hermione was in the middle of Harry and Ron, with Neville in the front of the very cramped and rickety car. Hermione started to get nervous when she heard a series of clicking and what sounded like the crunching of gravel.

"My baby," said the old man gesturing at the car, "she uh... all pooped out." With that there was a resounding thud where the four fell forward slightly as result of the sudden stopping of the car.

"What do mean she's all pooped out?" asked an anxious Ron who was just realizing what had just happened.

"She need more, uh... gas-o-line!" he smiled finally thinking of the word. He looked around at the four individuals who did not seemed pleased at all.

"What do you mean she needs more gas?!" Ron practically screamed at the man, going of into a tirade of what he could have done to prevent this problem. Hermione and Harry shared a worried look before turning back to Ron. Neville sat quietly in the front seat.

"'Ey calm down there young American-"

"WE'RE BRITISH!"

"Okie dokie. Ah, the town, uh... Leipzig is only a fair twenty miles away. I could walk der, and uh be back vith the gas-o-line by morning!"

"Is that safe? Walking into a town like that at night?" asked Hermione with a concerned tone from the back seat. She received a glare from Ron saying 'Who gives a bloody hell if it's safe, the wanker's going.'

"Ah, no worries my dearest lamb, I have run vith the bulls in Leipzig before." he continued giving her a small wink in which Harry shifted closer to her. "I vas in prison there for two of my life years, I know the vay they think," he finished leering in closer to the three in the back seat and tapping his index finger to his forehead slowly.

"Er, right. Well... best get going." offering the man a small smile and hoping he would move his face away from them.

"Wait, wait, what are we supposed to do here until morning?" asked Ron getting suddenly agitated.

"You either want him to go or not Ron," Hermione told him giving her a look daring him to object otherwise.

"No worries, mi bella, there is a lake, just there!" he said pointing towards the line of trees beyond the meadow where glistening water sparkled off of what was left of the dimmering evening sun.

"What are we supposed to do with a lake?" asked Ron again.

"Well, ah, water! Yes, water, and uh, swimming!" he said starting to move his arms imitating swimming. Ron gave the man the dumbest look he could muster. "Ah bath, baptise yourself-"

"Great! We're all set, better get going and be safe!" said Hermione before Ron could come back with a not so pleasant remark.

"Ah don't worry about me shining lamb," he said getting out of the car and starting to button up his Hawaiian shirt before starting to chuckle to himself, "I am not afraid to slap a few but cheeks, eh?" he smiled at them and left with a wave walking down the single road leading off into the countryside.

"That man scares me," muttered Neville before opening the car door and hopping out.

"Where are you going?" asked Harry starting to shift in his seat to peer out of the car some.

"Aren't we going to the lake?" he asked innocently pointing in the direction of the meadow.

"Don't be ridiculous Neville, get back in the car." huffed a moody Ron, folding his arms across his chest and glaring into the distance.

Hermione watched Neville obediently get back in the car with a disappointed look on his face. Hermione sighed shooting a small glare at Ron before starting to unbutton her jumper to reveal a cotton white tank top underneath.

"Alright Neville get out of the car," she said while she casually leaned over Harry to unlock and open his side of the door.

"Uh, what?" asked Neville looking back to see Hermione successfully slide her jumper off her shoulders.

"Well it's a rather warm evening isn't it? And I fancy a good swim, don't you?" she asked flashing him a smile. Neville excitedly got out of the car and started of towards the lake with Ron scoffing in the background. Hermione sighed at Ron before swinging a leg over Harry so she was straddling him, her face extremely close do to the brevity of the car, "What about you Harry? Fancy a swim?" It was a quiet question full of some compelling intensity Harry had never heard from her before. He swore he could see darkness taking over her eyes again. Then she smiled, opened the door and took of running after Neville towards the small lake.

Harry sat there for a moment and stared after her, watching everything from her chestnut hair and they way it bounced in perfect rhythm with her movement to the way her small navy shorts rode up a smidgen as she ran.

"Oh, you two make me sick," muttered Ron beside him.

"Shut up, Ron," Harry said quietly before getting out of the car and running after her.

When Harry passed the thin line of trees he was met with a beautiful clearing with the body of water right in the center. I was more of a large pond rather than a small lake, but Harry still thought it was perfect. Small flat pebbles led off the shore line and there was a little spot off in the corner with logs that would do well to sit on. He looked around trying to find where Neville and Hermione had gone off to.

Before he had a chance to call out he heard a scream and flipped around to find Neville jumping into the water from a large rock that towered about fifteen feet above the surface. He was down for a while before he came back up, whipping the brunette locks out of his face and laughing along with Hermione who was now at the top of the rock.

"How's it feel Nev?" she shouted.

"F-f-freezing!" he stuttered out before diving back under and swimming in small circles.

Hermione noticed Harry staring up at her and shouted to him, "Harry get up here! Don't think your taking the easy way out!"

"Wouldn't dream of it 'Mione," he yelled back before running around the water and light scatter of trees to climb on the rock with her.

"Alright deal is you have to jump." informed Hermione when he reached the top and was now looking out amongst the pond. It look a considerable deal larger from here. He looked back to Hermione and smiled letting out a small laugh.

"You gonna go swimming in that?" he asked referencing to the thin white cotton tank she had on.

'You gonna go swimming in that?" she asked not bothering to answer his initial question. He looked down to realize he still had on his navy blue shirt.

He scoffed playfully before bringing the shirt up and over his head and discarding it to the side. "No," he responded smiling.

"But you're going to go swimming in your pants and shoes?" she asked with a devilish grin. He looked down at himself and then looked into her eyes with his own grin forming.

"Alright, I know where you're going with this. And I am not shedding anymore clothes until I see some stripping from you missy. Or have you forgotten the half nude display I put on to get us a ride?"

"You mean 'we'," she said playfully wiggling her index finger between herself and Harry.

"No, I mean 'I'. You didn't undress at all, you little cheat."

Hermione gasped and feigned a hurt look, "I'm appalled! I took my shoes off!"

"Oh yes, and I'm sure those sexy feet of yours were enough to arouse an insane man to stop and give us a ride."

"Hey you never know," she said, sliding off her sandals, and gently kicking Harry in the shins with one of her 'sexy feet'. Harry laughed at her and she scoffed, "You mean to tell me that this foot doesn't turn you on?" she asked in a playful sexy voice.

"Mmmm, they are sexy, but that isn't what really turns me on," Harry said smiling.

"Oh really. Well then what does turn you on Mr. Potter?"

Harry looked at her as his flirtatious grin turned to into a shy smile. "Your eyes," he said just above a whisper. Her joking smile also dropped as his eyes bore intently into hers. "It's like, there dark yet light at the same time, like they reek of comfort. They have such an openness that shows off your knowledge and wisdom, but they also hold their secrets, right? There's just something in there that I haven't been able to figure out yet." She opened her mouth slightly as he brushed a small strand of hair off her face and tucked it delicately behind her ear. She was willing herself to come up with something witty but she couldn't find it in herself to ruin this moment with him so she bit her lip instead. Harry let out a low laugh, "And the way you bite your lip, how you have that small corner stuck between your teeth, it makes the rest of your lip pout out, kinda like your holding back from something, anyway it makes your face all the more gorgeous." Hermione let out a breath she had been holding as he finished speaking. 'Oh Merlin, is this really happening?' She could feel the butterflies in her stomach ignite as he reached a gentle hand forward, entwining his fingers with hers.

She gulped, "Anything else?" she whispered, shuffling forward slightly so he could hear.

His smile grew wider, "Yeah actually, then there's your smile, which kind of counteracts with your eyes. You may not know it, but when you curve your mouth upwards," he moved his other hand to cup her chin, brushing his thumb across her bottom lip, "it gives off the tiniest ray of hope and comfort, which can make it like anything's possible, with no pressure added because you and your smile's still going to be their even if you fail. It's beautiful, perfect even, it's just so... you." He let out small laugh once he finished, letting his hand and gaze drop from her face and trying to take a step back but Hermione caught him before he moved.

"You think I'm beautiful?" she asked breathlessly searching out his eyes again.

"I've always known you were beautiful, Hermione," he responded quickly "I just, I don't think I ever appreciated you until now."

Hermione stood there looking at him for what seemed like forever, just twitching her jaw trying to form a coherent thought. After Harry looked thoroughly bemused Hermione let out a breath and chuckled, "You just rendered me speechless Harry." He let out a hearty laugh before she continued smiling, "And that's no easy feat," she teased poking him on the chest.

"Yeah, well you deserve to be told how amazing you are." he said genuinely, leaving Hermione to have her joking smile slowly disappear off her face again.

"You think I'm amazing?" she asked again softly. 'Oh how the hell is he saying the sweetest things so perfectly? Wasn't he supposed to be the flustered one when he was genuinely speaking from the heart? What happened to the teasing? I'm in control with the teasing!!'

"Yes Hermione!" he seemed to say a little impatiently, yet all the more compassionately. "How can you think so little of yourself? I know you're amazing, and any guy should give his left nut to be with you." He finished, picking up a oval shaped pebble and chucking it into the water below.

Hermione stared at him for a moment as he stood slightly in front of her looking out over the lake, pondering what he had just said. 'That's got to be one of the sweetest things anyone has ever said to me... leaving out the nut of course...' She shook her head quickly, trying to think of something smooth to do. 'Alright Granger just play it cool... calm and confident... be in control... oh to hell with it, I have to know if he's feeling the same way I am.'

She folded her arms across her chest. "And you Harry? What would you give to be with me?"

"Me? I'd give up both nuts but I want to have kids someday so..."

Hermione sighed letting her arms drop to the side, 'Of course he was kidding. I don't even know what I expected from him. He's your best friend, Granger- FRIEND-'

Hermione, to busy with her internal ramblings, didn't notice Harry situate himself directly in front of her. He took her face in his hands as her eyes snapped up to meet his staring at her. She had a questioning look on her face, but didn't voice protest.

"So I guess we'll have to find another way," he said lowly before dipping his head slowly. Hermione's eyes fluttered close as soon as she realised what was about to happen.

'Oh Merlin, he's going to kiss me. Yes! YES-'

"Oi, you goons, get down here before Neville drowns himself in the shallow end!'

Harry let out an aggravated growl, abandoning his position so close to Hermione's partly opened mouth.

"Kind of busy here, Ron!" he shouted down with as much calm fury as he could muster. Ron looked up at his two best mates, and he noticed that they were standing about a hair away from each other. His eyebrows shot to the middle of his forehead when he concluded that they were just about to eat each other's faces.

"Oh... err... sorry Harry... and Hermione... please continue," he replied sheepishly as possible without bursting into fits of giggles that would put Lavender and Parvati to shame.

"Sorry," Harry whispered turning back to Hermione and lowering his head again.

"Uh, guys?"

"WHAT?!" screamed Hermione this time, her eyes aflame with irritation as yet again Harry pulled away.

Ron seemed to flinch visibly with her tone of voice. "Sorry, it's just... Neville's still drowning."

Sure enough Neville seemed to be floating head down near the shore line, every other part of his body flailing above water creating quite a disturbance.

"Oh, for fuck's sake."

AHAH!

Now, how many of you want to find out where I live so you can throw me in a tank full of sharks with frickin' lasers attached to their frickin' heads? I bet a lot of you, and truly I did not think I was going to end here, but it did so deal with what you got. The next chapter should be up maybe tomorrow, or the day after, or if my daughter falls asleep early, tonight! So don't get your knickers in a twist and make sure you come back for next chapter and all the really horrific, gross, mushy, gushy, romance stuff that I can't believe I wrote in my sane state of mind.

-Oliver