Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Summary

Harry continues his first year as a Hogwarts teacher but it is his new involvement with Further Education classes that reveals some disturbing developments at the Ministry. Meanwhile, as one shy and reclusive student pursues a secret obsession in the castle, another frightened youth hides deep in the Forbidden Forest. Neither knows of the other, but they are destined to meet before an innocuous shoebox and share The Boy Who Lived's final secret. This post-Hogwarts story is a sequel to Journey Home.

Introduction

This is a continuation of "Journey Home," but I intended this to be a stand-alone story. The previously introduced characters David Royce and Carmen Callidus feature in this story too.

The character Carmen Callidus was first introduced in "The Golden Serpent" and appeared again in "The Pauper's Time."

"Journey Home," was written before HBP, but as a post-Hogwarts story it is almost HBP compliant except that Carmen Callidus first visited the school during Harry's Sixth Year and Snape still taught Potions in that year.

*

Harry is currently working in his first year as a junior teacher at Hogwarts. He was seconded there from the Auror Department and still retains Auror status. He and Hermione are currently engaged to be married. Harry has been appointed acting Head of Gryffindor House.

Hermione is currently a junior advocate working for the Wizengamot. She is a former assistant to two previous Ministers of Magic. During Arthur Weasley's short tenure as Acting Minister, she pushed through wide ranging laws promoting equal rights for house elves, goblins and centaurs that made her very unpopular.

Ron has only recently been reconciled with Harry. For months (which stretched into years) he barricaded himself away from the outside world with only Luna for company. Ron's ability to perform magic was stripped from him during the final battle, but Harry had another wand made for him and he is re-learning how to use it.

Ginny and Neville are married, although Ron didn't approve of their relationship at first. They are living in London in a semi-detached property that is owned by Harry. The House Elf Co-Operative, run by Dobby, recently re-occupied Harry's half so that Ginny and Neville could be protected in Harry's absence.

Professor McGonagall is currently Head Teacher at Hogwarts.

Harry was traumatised during the final battle, and for ages felt particularly guilty at having to abandon Ginny and Neville to the Death Eaters while he dealt with Voldemort.

David Royce and Harry were the last to leave Arthur Weasley's office set up to help people traumatised during Voldemort's reign. It was an alternative to a secure hospital. Only David Royce killed more people during the final battle than Harry. Skilled in wandless magic, this quiet unassuming cleric is still the subject of much rumour and gossip. He remains one of the most feared people in the wizarding world. Royce has one surviving relative, a niece.

Carmen Callidus is a witch prodigy currently in her Third Year at Hogwarts. Harry first met her when she was nine years old when he inadvertently fulfilled one of the many prophecies about her. She has a snake familiar named Hydrus. She was particularly close to Snape and her favourite subject was Potions. Dumbledore knew she would grow to become a very powerful witch, but hoped that Harry and Hermione would guide her towards good rather than her evil potential. Since Harry arrived at Hogwarts she has been bright, mischievous and happy. He even persuaded her to release Peeves; she had locked away the poltergeist for making up rude limericks about her.

Draco Malfoy was killed by his father Lucius because he rebelled against Voldemort just before the final battle. Harry interrupted his duel with Voldemort to kill Lucius Malfoy, much to the Dark Lord's delight.

Severus Snape vanished and has not been heard of since the fall of Voldemort. He is universally hated.

*

Timeline

Harry defeated Voldemort at the end of his seventh year. He spent some time recovering before joining the Auror training programme. He had a breakdown and took some months to recover before re-applying to complete his training.

He spent about eighteen months as a full Auror before Arthur Weasley seconded him to Hogwarts.

Harry joined the staff at Hogwarts after term started. This story continues Harry's first year as a teacher.

I originally intended this story to culminate on the night of the Halloween Feast at the end of October, but the events before this must have taken longer so I cut this aspect.

*

Chapter 1 - We're Free Monday, Apparently

Harry Potter wiped the tears of laughter from his eyes and put his glasses back on again at his second attempt. He could hardly breathe now, but he valiantly tried to regain his self-control.

"You really aren't helping much, Harry," said David Royce dryly, nervously fiddling with his cufflinks and looking at himself in the full length mirror.

"I'm sorry," Harry managed to say with a wide grin.

"Uncle David, I really should be getting back now."

"You can't leave me now! You still need to teach me my vows!"

"Just listen to them during the ceremony and repeat the words," she explained patiently, patting his arm for comfort. "You won't just make up silly vows, will you?" she asked hopefully. "Please remember these are magical vows, so it might be quite serious if you break them."

David had just been pretending to recite vows like, "I promise never to wear green socks on Wednesdays."

"I really need to get back to Kathryn," said Natasha. "Don't worry, I'm sure she's just as nervous as you. It'll be fine, I promise."

Natasha turned to Harry and said pointedly, "Don't forget the time, will you?"

Harry held up his hands and said, "It's all under control. He'll be front and centre at three o'clock sharp."

Natasha shot him a just make sure you do look and headed for the door. The bride-to-be Kathryn would be with Hermione in a similar room on the other side of the building.

Harry allowed himself another wide grin the moment she'd gone. He wasn't used to being ordered around by one of his students, but as Natasha was David's only living relative he was more than happy to have her chivvying him up on this particular day.

Like so many other wizard children, she had been orphaned during Voldemort's last few months. Harry had no idea what actually happened to her parents. Neither she nor David spoke of their deaths, but Harry could see they took strength from the close bond between them.

Harry had known and liked David for some time now, having met each other just after he had left hospital. He had long enjoyed David's understated sense of humour, but it was only since he had been in his company when Natasha had been present that Harry was a different side of him completely.

This wasn't the first time that their quickfire exchanges had left him momentarily incapable.

David always hated the company of strangers and chose to keep a very small circle of friends. This did little to improve his reputation amongst the wizarding community at large, most of whom only knew him by reputation. By his own admission, David had done some terrible things during the fight with the Death Eaters at the Ministry.

The mistrust directed towards David was hardly enhanced by his gift of not needing a wand at all. He actually had quite a collection of wands, but the majority been removed from a Death Eater he had killed. David's personal style of performing magic was long admired by Harry. Never showy or loud, sometimes he'd hardly know that magic was involved at all.

Even so, it had been some time even for Harry to feel he could trust David who often liked to remind him how he used to beg Hermione not to remain in his company alone. Hermione, of course, had always trusted David implicitly and had simply dismissed Harry's concerns.

As usual, she had been right.

Harry wondered sometimes what Natasha made of the open hostility shown towards her Uncle. If it bothered her, she certainly didn't show it.

He also knew that young Natasha would be giving a nervous Kathryn just the same level of support and encouragement as she was giving her Uncle David.

In truth, Harry had been a little surprised when David and Kathryn had announced their engagement. He hadn't even known they were seeing each other, although he suspected Hermione had known much more than she had let on having been good friends with both for some time.

"How did I ever get myself talked into this?" David asked himself. "This is all your fault, you know?"

"You've said," observed Harry lightly. David had often joked that Kathryn hadn't been at all interested in marriage until Harry and Hermione had become engaged.

"I bet I mess up the words, too."

"You were word perfect at the rehearsal," Harry reminded him.

"Yes, well that was before she got the hex right."

"David, for the last time. You future mother-in-law hasn't cursed you."

"You could have her taken her away for questioning, though. That's what Aurors are supposed to do."

Harry laughed and said, "No, David. Not even for you."

"Too scared, eh? Not that I blame you, really. I mean, she's practically the size of a Mountain Troll. Twice the meanness, though."

Harry rolled his eyes and checked the time again.

He got up and picked the jacket of David's morning suit off its hanger and held it open for David.

"It's too early," complained David.

"No it isn't."

"We're late, then?" he immediately asked with concern.

"No, David, although the precise jacket-on time may be about to pass."

"But?"

Harry just offered the jacket up again and this time David allowed himself to be dressed.

It had been David's idea to dress in Muggle clothing for the ceremony. Harry had wanted to buy Mr Weasley some elastic braces as a gift and David had accompanied him out into Muggle London one lunchtime, completely sceptical that any such device could exist.

Harry remembered finding him staring open mouthed at the mannequin in the tailor's window right across the street from where they stood.

"I want one of them," David had said in wonder. "Top hat too. The works."

Harry had grinned at him and said, "Okay, let's go in and ask what we have to do."

"What? No, Harry. I wasn't being serious. I should ask Kathryn first, anyway."

"Well, let's ask how much it will be, at least."

They had crossed the busy road and entered a different world. Harry remembered how the traffic noise died away the moment the shop door closed. For a long moment they were quite alone in the shop. Harry looked around at the partly complete jackets and trousers hanging in long racks and the many fabric sample books lying around.

"Good morning, Gentlemen," said the tailor, making both Harry and David jump. "How may I be of assistance?"

Harry guessed he was in his early fifties and was struck by how incredibly thin he was. He had a kindly if careworn face that suited his almost completely bald head and his clothes were, perhaps unsurprisingly, immaculate. He wore a rather worn cloth tape measure around his neck like a badge of office.

"Um," said David, completely unsure what to ask for.

"We came in to enquire about a suit for a wedding," said Harry. He was about to ask how much and how long it would take to make when the tailor smiled and interrupted him.

"Congratulations, Sir. May I ask when the happy event will take place?"

David seemed completely taken aback that the tailor was addressing him and not Harry.

"It's alright, Sir," the tailor said reassuringly. "I've had the honour of tailoring to the needs of many young Gentlemen. I suppose one develops a knack for recognising the signs."

"Scared witless, you mean?" asked David with a weak smile.

"As you wish, Sir," said the tailor with a slight bow. "Now, most young men leave these things to the very last minute. We generally like six to eight weeks to tailor a suit."

"Oh," said David, his face dropping.

"I can do it quicker," said the tailor, "but please don't ask the impossible. If you're serious, I suggest we take your initial measurements today. Would you like me to check our appointments diary?"

"Yes he would," said Harry without hesitation. They could have wizard robes made up at the last minute but hand-made Muggle would need time to make.

David shot him a slightly worried look but then nodded. "Yes, please."

The tailor opened a large fittings appointment book and thumbed through the pages with a practised flourish.

"Hm. Would Sir be available for a fitting in three weeks time? The suit would need to be finished and the final fitting a week after that?"

"Yes, that would be fine," said David. "That's for both suits, right?"

The tailor looked up enquiringly at Harry.

"You have to, Harry. Kathryn said it was traditional or something. We have to match."

Harry snorted and nodded as the tailor lifted his tape measure from around his neck.

That had been a few weeks ago. Now the two of them stood side-by-side in front of the wide mirror, each wearing identical grey morning suits.

"I think she'll have you," said Harry, assessing his friend's appearance.

"I'm still wondering why she would," admitted David.

"Well, remember that before you make too many Troll jokes at the reception."

"No chance of that," said David miserably. "Natasha has edited out all my best material."

At a little before three o'clock, Harry and David walked the short distance to the Chapel, a building officially designated the smallest wizarding building licensed to conduct weddings in the country. They took a side door and followed a narrow gravel path around to the front of the building. It was an overcast day but was otherwise dry and warm for the time of year.

Only a handful of guests had been invited, but the atmosphere was warm and friendly.

At the entrance to the Chapel, Kathryn's father Mr Meadows waited for his daughter. Mrs Meadows was trying to fix his buttonhole before dashing back to check their daughter was ready, but still found time to give David a quiet word of encouragement. Harry tried not to smile as he remembered David's wildly inaccurate description of Mrs Meadows.

As far as Harry could see, the Meadows were as kind and friendly as their only daughter and seemed to be looking forward to welcoming both David and Natasha to their family.

As they walked down the short aisle, it occurred to Harry what a good choice this Chapel had been. Neither David and Kathryn had wanted a large function and Harry knew they would both be nervous enough as it was without having to get married in imposing surroundings.

David had time to greet all of the guests as they went along, and Harry was pleased that at long last he seemed to become more at ease if not exactly relaxed.

At three o'clock the Cleric appeared at the front and Harry ushered David to their positions as they'd rehearsed. There was a small pop and Mrs Meadows appeared at her place, handkerchief at the ready.

The front doors to the Chapel opened and they turned to see Kathryn pausing to allow Natasha and Hermione to straighten her veiled silk wedding dress.

Hermione nodded when she was ready, and music began to play at once. Kathryn and her father began walking down the aisle with her Bridesmaid Natasha following and grinning widely at everyone.

Hermione circled around on the other side of the bench seating so she would be next to Harry when he stepped back.

Soon the simple ceremony was under way.

Once he'd safely presented their Goblin wrought gold rings, Harry stepped back to join Hermione. She looped her arm around his and held on tightly.

Harry smiled listening as the couple exchanged vows. Natasha was behind them both, mouthing each of their vows as they spoke. She beamed at them when they had each spoken them without problem.

Natasha was a bright Ravenclaw, in her Third Year at Hogwarts. Unfortunately, she had struck up a firm friendship with Carmen Callidus who was at that moment on Hermione's other side.

As Carmen had effortlessly become the school's chief mischief maker, Harry found he had needed to give Natasha quite a few detentions as well. Natasha was much quieter than Carmen, but she was a more than willing participant.

Undaunted, Natasha had insisted they use the detention time to plan her Uncle's forthcoming wedding decorations.

Harry hadn't minded really. Some of the Transfiguration they had done for the flower arrangements had been some of the most advanced work he had ever seen a student perform. Even Professor McGonagall had been impressed enough to award her fifty House Points.

She'd need to think up a different distraction from now on, mused Harry as he watched the ceremony continue.

Harry had always tried to set detention work that was useful, rather than just being a punishment. He'd never once just set lines, remembering Hagrid's comments in his own first year at the school.

Indeed, Professor McGonagall had wryly commented on how popular his Monday night detentions were becoming. That was when he'd asked to use the Great Hall so he could teach the students how to perform advanced defensive magic. Professor McGonagall had given her permission, but only after gently teasing him, suggesting Professor Lockhart's old stage might still be useful provided he could get some matching robes.

Far from discouraging breaking school rules, he knew he was actually rewarding adventurous behaviour.

The only exception Harry made was if he was punishing a student for something spiteful. He always made an effort to make those detentions both memorable and unpopular.

Hermione squeezed his arm and he came out of his reverie in time to see David and Kathryn kiss.

*

Deep in the Forbidden Forest, a dishevelled figure shivered before a miserably small camp fire. The purple flames were barely visible and gave off no smoke at all to betray his presence.

The forest seemed to be alive around the small clearing and with each noise the figure looked fearfully around, squinting into the darkness between the trees.

Satisfied that there was no-one there, the figure rose to his feet and stepped towards the treeline.

Groping around the bed of fallen leaves, he found the wand he had thrown away just a few minutes before.

He listened intently again until he was entirely satisfied that he was alone. Then he pointed the wand purposefully at the nearest tree.

"Stupify!"

Nothing happened. There was no red flash at all; not even the feeblest glow.

The youth cursed angrily under his breath.

He tried again. And again.

Eventually coldness and frustration caused him to discard the wand again and return to the fire. The heat it gave out was pitifully weak and emitted none of the reassuring pops and smells of a real fire.

He had been tempted to use the Muggle matches he had stolen from the coastal village where he had landed ashore, but so far he had resisted temptation. Real fires could be seen, and he really couldn't afford to be discovered in his current condition.

He fumbled around in his damp robe pockets until he found his precious box of Weasley magical fire starters. It had been the largest box they did, but there were very few left now.

Turning the tiny cardboard box over awkwardly he cursed again. His fingers were almost numb with cold, but even if they had not he would have had difficulty. His co-ordination had been almost non-existent for weeks now.

Fortunately, once started the magical flames burned almost indefinitely. His journey to the forest had necessitated him striking camp at least once a night so far. At least here he should be safe to stay put while he plotted his revenges.

The Weasley fire starters were the very last item from the box. The tent had been abandoned as he prepared to cross the border into France. He had been particularly paranoid that night and was sure he had been recognised.

The rest including the box had gone overboard during the rough Channel crossing.

He had even torn up and discarded the letter in a fit of temper; not that he would ever admit regretting doing that.

"Why did you have to open that damn shoebox?"

He shuddered and searched around for something to distract him. He still wasn't quite ready to think about the wisdom of his decision.

What made him particularly angry was the fact that he had known exactly what would happen. The letter had offered an exchange of sorts.

He hadn't been tricked.

He hadn't been used.

For a large part of his journey, he had been in complete denial of this. Indeed, he still thought the letter could have been a lot clearer in terms of specifics.

Although his inward rants about having to suffer this wretched existence had occupied his every waking hour, a small but fair part of his mind reasoned that all that had really happened was that he had exchanged one miserable existence for another.

He shivered again and moved his open hands close to the flames in an attempt to warm himself.

If the physical difficulties weren't bad enough, he was becoming aware of his memory beginning to fail as well. He was absolutely positive that he knew that the sap from three particular trees in this forest could be mixed to create a simple potion. Unfortunately, he had no idea which trees were needed; and he wasn't as sure as he was yesterday what the potion would do for him, anyway.

Wincing and pulling his hand back as soon as he felt the flames lick his skin, he let out a stream of expletives.

This was followed by a very long moment of fearful silence as he listened for signs that he had been overheard.

The silence was broken by his stomach rumbling loudly. How long had it been since he had eaten?

He would wait a few hours longer and when it became darker he would venture towards the village. He had no money and could not afford to be seen yet, but perhaps be could scavenge some food scraps and maybe even a newspaper.

A branch fell somewhere off in the distance making him look around desperately.

"Damn you, Dumbledore," muttered the figure after an age. "Thought you'd have one last laugh at my expense, didn't you?"

*

Harry pushed open the enormous entrance doors and ushered Natasha and Carmen through into the Hogwarts castle entrance lobby.

They were giggling and dancing around, as they had all the way from Hogsmeade. Hermione followed them inside and Harry closed the doors.

"Good evening, girls."

Professor McGonagall was standing inside wearing a tartan dressing gown and holding a candle in a silver holder.

"Hello, Professor," the girls both answered at once.

"I take it you enjoyed yourselves," asked their Headmistress with a warm smile.

"Oh, it was wonderful!"

They each tried to tell Professor McGonagall all of the day's highlights but she held up her hand.

"It's very late, girls. I think you should go off to bed. I'll be very interested in hearing all about your day tomorrow."

The girls began to protest, but Harry knew that Professor McGonagall wouldn't relent and finally they accepted defeat and bid them all good evening before Carmen went up to the Gryffindor tower and Natasha went down to the Ravenclaw dormitory.

McGonagall smiled warmly after them before turning to Harry and Hermione.

"You needn't have waited up for us, Professor," said Harry.

She smiled and said, "I was about to retire for the evening."

"No problems?"

"Oh, no. Actually, for a Saturday it was unusually quiet. Mind you, Carmen wouldn't allow mischief when she couldn't be there to enjoy it!"

Harry snorted and they made their way over to the entrance to the Staff quarters. Carmen was still the greatest trouble-maker since Fred and George Weasley left the school.

"She was a little worried you were going to make her miss the wedding," said Hermione.

"No, I wouldn't have done that. Mind you, she does still owe me a detention. I have thought about letting her talk me out of it."

Hermione looked at him with a shocked expression.

"That will hardly do her much good, will it, Harry?"

"Carmen's detentions tend to be quite eventful, Hermione," he explained, lifting the tapestry for Professor McGonagall and revealing the secret door that led to the staff apartments.

"You mean, you let her get the upper hand?"

"Only when I'm convinced she's achieved something. Actually, when she knows she's broken a school rule there's never a problem. I never like punishing her for just causing mayhem, though. Unfortunately, she's clever enough to hardly ever break school rules."

"You'd think in a thousand years, most school rules would cover all eventualities, wouldn't you?" said Hermione.

Professor McGonagall laughed and nodded.

"Quite confidentially, they probably should. Still, a little rule breaking can be good for the soul. Rebelling against the authority is an important part of growing up, after all."

*

Harry entered the Great Hall for breakfast a little earlier than he would normally do, particularly for a Sunday morning. However, since he'd been away from the school all day on Saturday and Hermione had left him a note saying she'd been invited to join Professor McGonagall for breakfast in her rooms, he'd decided to come down early.

He was surprised to find the Hall almost empty.

There was a group of Ravenclaw girls gossiping about halfway down their House table and a solitary Hufflepuff boy at the far end. There were no other staff members there at all.

Harry was tempted to turn around and go straight down to the kitchens, but he had wanted an excuse to speak to the Hufflepuff boy for some time now.

"Morning, Mark," said Harry as he approached.

"Morning, Sir."

"You're up bright and early. I was wondering if my watch was wrong."

"Mine says Seven-Thirty, Sir."

"Ah, I must have forgotten to wind it again," observed Harry, removing his wristwatch and correcting the time.

"Why don't you put a self-winding charm on it, Sir?"

Harry chuckled and said, "I tried that on my previous watch. I think the charm was a bit much for it, because all the hands started flying around. I tried to reverse the charm but now the hands just go backwards."

Mark laughed politely as Harry continued.

"As this watch was a gift, I thought I'd better not risk another charm."

Mark smiled and nodded.

"Mark, I was meaning to ask you," began Harry quietly when he was interrupted by a loud scream from the Ravenclaws and one of the girls fell backwards off the bench seating. Harry turned to see wands being wielded.

Harry didn't react at once. He knew the girls were friends, so the chances were that any disagreement between them would hardly amount to much more than a spat.

The Jelly-Legs Jinx and Rictusempra exchange that followed wasn't serious, but he decided to put a stop to it before it got out of hand.

"Sorry, Mark. You'll have to excuse me," he said, hurrying over to the girls.

"Finite!"

The girls looked around in shock and picked themselves off the floor.

"Are you alright?" asked Harry.

The girls nodded silently, looking very red-faced.

"I suggest you apologise to each other before I remember that magic outside the classrooms is forbidden."

"Sorry," the girls mumbled together, all still looking down.

"I'm not going to ask who fired first, but if I see anyone attacking without warning they shouldn't expect me to be so lenient next time."

Almost immediately the girls silently collected their things and left very quickly. He watched their progress and only turned when they had left through the great doors.

Loud shrieks of embarrassed laughter from the lobby reached his ears, and Harry found it difficult not to smile.

To his disappointment, Mark had also collected his things and gone too. Harry looked at his watch and decided to go and find Professor Sprout.

*

Harry knocked on the door to Greenhouse Three and entered.

"Harry!" Professor Sprout shouted from the far end of the warm greenhouse. "You're up early for a Sunday?"

Harry smiled, pleased that he'd guessed correctly where she'd be. He closed the door and walked down the path. The air in the greenhouse warm and very humid, and the smell of the tropical plants brought back many happy memories of the times he'd spent there as a student.

Professor Spout was standing at one of her large potting tables tending to one of her more exotic plants.

"Hi," said Harry.

"Excuse me if I don't stop, won't you?"

"Of course. I'm sorry to disturb you, but I could do with some advice."

"No problem. Harry, would you fill a dozen or so of those smaller pots with earth?"

"Sure. Are you taking cuttings?"

At these words the plant shivered and retracted itself into a defensive ball.

"Sorry," mouthed Harry.

"Oh, not to worry," she said at once. "I'm only interested taking cuttings from the bravest plants. I wouldn't dream of propagating any plants that were afraid. In fact, I'd probably just throw them out if we had any of those around here."

Harry smiled seeing the plant react. Gradually, the branches began to untangle themselves again.

"So, what advice can I help with?"

"Well, I'm a little concerned about Mark Stannard. He's one of your Third Years."

"Mm. Bright boy. A little quiet."

"Yes," agreed Harry. "His work is fine; well, acceptable, anyway. He's fine on theory, but his practical work sometimes lets him down."

"You think he'll struggle with his defence examinations?"

"No, I think he's worth a pass. Actually, was more concerned about him, rather than his schoolwork. He always seems to be on his own."

Sprout lowered her hands and put on a thoughtful expression.

"Yes, he always prefers to work on his own in my classes too."

"This morning he was on his own in the Great Hall for breakfast. He was the only Hufflepuff up at that time. It got me thinking: I've never seen him even eat with the others, ever."

"Oh, he must have done."

"When? Did you see him at the last feast even?"

"Um, I don't recall."

"I would have hoped that by now he'd have some close friends, although I've never picked up on any direct animosity towards him."

"That's true. Um, so what do you propose to do?"

"Well, that's the problem. I'd really like him to get involved in some after school activities. He's never done anything to warrant a detention. I was half tempted to trump something up like Snape used to with me."

"Please don't mention that name in my presence," Sprout said with false calmness.

"I'm sorry," said Harry. It had taken him some time to get over the anger and bitterness he'd directed towards his old Potions master, but he sometimes forgot that others who had known him were less forgiving. For himself, he was much more comfortable leaving the hatred behind; although he would probably still kill Snape on sight, of course.

"The problem is that your Monday detentions aren't even considered punishments anymore, are they?"

"I suppose. What if I cancelled Monday detention night and set it up again as a proper club activity?"

"You'd need to ask Professor McGonagall for permission first. Besides, how will that help us with Mark?"

"I will ask Professor McGonagall, but she's having breakfast with Hermione this morning."

"Well, I'll consult the Fat Friar and ask if he can keep a discrete eye out for young Mark. Actually, the Friar makes a point to speak to all the Hufflepuffs regularly."

"Thanks. I didn't think of that. Do you know if he has any particular interests or hobbies? I wondered if I could introduce something into the lessons. Anything to get him more involved, really."

"I've no idea. In fact, I know very little about him at all."

Harry finished helping Professor Sprout plant her cuttings and washed himself while she comforted the distressed plant before bidding her goodbye and making his way back up to the castle.

*

Harry returned to his staff quarters and tried to catch up with some essay marking before lunch. He gave this up after a couple of hours and went off in search of Hermione.

The first place he tried was Professor McGonagall's office.

The door opened as he approached the door but the large circular office was completely empty.

He frowned slightly to himself. This office usually sealed itself when the Headmistress was out.

Harry looked around at the portraits, but they were all dozing in their frames.

He was about to turn and leave when his eyes fell upon the old school sorting hat. He closed the door and went over to lift it down from the shelf.

He hesitated a moment before placing the hat upon his head. As before, the brim of hat covered his eyes completely. There was a moment of complete silence before the hat spoke to him.

"Ah, back again, Harry Potter?"

"Um, yes. I wanted to ask you something."

"What makes you think that I would tell you about anyone else's mind that I've looked into?"

"I don't want to know anyone's secrets. I'm just concerned about Mark Stannard. What are his interests? Does he have any potential skills that would be worth helping him develop?"

"Oh, goodness yes," the hat said quickly. "But, perhaps he'd prefer to keep those skills private for now."

"I only want to help him."

"Yes, I see that. Nevertheless, what if someone had asked me to reveal your secret skills."

"What secret skills do I have?"

"You have many secrets, Harry Potter. The truth about the protections placed upon you were all known to me the moment you placed me on your head to be sorted. Would you have liked me to reveal them to anyone?"

"Um, no."

"I knew you were a Parcelmouth, too."

Harry sighed and said, "Okay, I get the message. You can't help me."

"I didn't say I couldn't help you, just that I cannot disclose the boy's secrets."

"Um, okay. How can you help?"

The hat remained annoyingly silent.

"I heard that," said the hat, in response to Harry's unkind thought. "You need to ask the correct question."

"How about a clue?"

"I can freely speak to you about yourself, your memories, your secrets and your potential," replied the hat without hesitation.

"You mean, Mark and I have something in common?"

"No. Actually, you may well have many things in common, but that isn't important."

"I should ask you about myself?"

"Yes."

Harry frowned. Something about himself?

"Another clue?" prompted the hat.

"Um, thanks."

"Why are you really here at Hogwarts?"

"Well," began Harry, but he was cut off almost at once.

"No, Harry Potter. Why are you really here at Hogwarts?"

"I'm here because of what I did during the final battle. I killed so many people that night. I didn't give them a chance to redeem themselves, so I have to make amends."

"Good. That's much better. Dumbledore may have been his generation's most powerful wizard, but his greatest strength was his teaching."

"I remember."

"Only from one perspective. I've always seen you both as extraordinarily similar you know? He too managed to consult me several times as a young man. He too felt the same feelings as you when he began to teach, all those years ago."

Harry smiled.

"My point is simply that your life experiences may well have a direct relevance to young Mark. He needs guidance, although he may not yet realise it. The moment he placed me on his head I could see that his driving ambition might lead to difficulties."

"But, you didn't put him in Slytherin. I guess that means he isn't ambitious for himself? Oh, you won't answer that, will you?"

"No, of course not."

"So, what should I do?"

"You may not be able to read his mind, but you can still listen to him. There will come a time when he will realise he needs help. I think it likely that he will seek your help; even if he attempts to disguise his needs."

"Okay, he won't tell me outright what he wants," said Harry to himself. "What if?"

"Um, I think you've been discovered," said the hat cutting across him.

Harry opened his eyes and lifted the sorting hat off his heat. Professor McGonagall was looking at him with an amused expression on her face.

"Are you still wondering if the hat sorted you into the correct House, Harry?"

Harry snorted and returned the hat to its shelf.

"Sorry, Professor. I was hoping the sorting hat would help me with a student I'm concerned about."

"Mark Stannard?"

"Yes. How did you know?"

"Pomona told me you consulted her earlier this morning. I've given permission for the ghosts to report on his activities."

"I didn't know they needed your permission."

"We have developed an understanding, that's all. For years Dumbledore refused outright to allow anyone but Sir Nicholas to follow you around the school. Needless to say, Sir Nicholas never betrayed any of your confidences, even to Dumbledore. His mission was purely to ensure your safety."

Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Please take a seat, Harry, and tell me about your concerns over young Mark. Hermione will be a little late for lunch anyway. I left her with Carmen and Natasha. I suspect they want to persuade her to let them organise your entire wedding."

*

As they walked down to the Great Hall for Sunday lunch, Harry mused at how surprised he had been at everyone's reaction to his concerns about Mark.

After all, he had no evidence that anything was really wrong.

Yet here he was, descending the stairs with no less than eight members of staff who had joined them for an impromptu case workshop.

It had certainly been useful, though.

As Harry had suspected, Mark seemed to spend his time working alone in all of his other subjects as well. He also studied diligently and had never been in any kind of trouble. His marks were upper-average for most subjects, but he performed poorly in none.

As a group, they had agreed not to single Mark out in any way for the present. This meant no unwarranted detentions or point deductions. Professor McGonagall had also warned against asking him more questions in class, which Harry was certainly considering. Mark seemed happiest just to blend in, after all.

Harry had also told everyone he was considering cancelling his usual Monday night defence detentions.

Professor McGonagall agreed, but asked him not to start up a Duelling Club just yet. He had to agree with her point that duelling would tend to encourage competitiveness, whereas they wanted to try and encourage a more inclusive approach.

All thoughts of Duelling Clubs went from Harry's head as soon as he entered the Great Hall, however.

Every table had flower arrangements and the Staff table was hardly visible under the display of ribbons and flowers.

Hermione chuckled seeing his less than ecstatic expression.

"They thought we'd like to see some no obligation samples, Harry," she explained. "Aren't they wonderful?"

Harry didn't trust himself to answer.

*

Harry closed the door to his classroom and turned to face the two girls. Carmen was looking a little flushed but otherwise very defiant. Natasha was just looking down at her feet.

"I'd like you to explain why it was necessary to charm those flower arrangements like that," he asked.

"It was their own fault," said Carmen.

"Flower arrangements don't usually spring to life and attempt to strangle people," observed Harry.

"They would have spoiled otherwise. That prat had no business trying to vanish those flowers."

"Carmen, not everyone has such a love for flower arrangements. They were a bit much, weren't they? There was hardly any room for the plates and dishes!"

"So? They looked nice."

"Nice enough to pick?"

Carmen grinned wickedly.

"We only charmed the plants to defend themselves."

"Clearly," Harry agreed. "Carmen, I don't think putting a dozen people in the Hospital Wing is quite so amusing."

"Well, they shouldn't have interfered."

"You didn't actually ask anyone if you could decorate their tables, did you?"

"They were pretty!"

"They were pretty dangerous, you mean? I've still no idea how to get rid of the damn things."

"Neither have we," admitted Natasha, looking up sheepishly.

"What?"

"We didn't actually intend for them to start attacking people," said Carmen. "We just wanted them to discourage people from spoiling them before Hermione could decide which ones she preferred."

"What charms did you use?"

"Well, we used an Animatus animation spell in combination with a learning charm and a shield charm for good measure."

"No wonder I couldn't get rid of them!" exclaimed Harry. "They will just keep learning from each attack and grow stronger."

"We wondered about just letting them lose in the Forbidden Forest," said Natasha.

"That's no good," said Harry. "There'd be nothing to keep them in check."

"Poison?"

"I assumed they would react just as badly to weed killer," said Harry. "They are only cuttings, though. How long were they expected to last?"

"Um, we put a freshness charm on them too. They won't need feeding or watering for a month or two."

"Is that all?" he asked sarcastically.

"So, where will we do Monday's detention?"

"There isn't going to be a Monday detention. Before all the commotion I asked Professor McGonagall to approve an amnesty. Monday detentions are cancelled until further notice."

"What! No way! You can't do that!" cried Carmen.

"I think you'll find I can," Harry said coldly. "I was clearly wrong to encourage you to learn such advanced Transfiguration when you are not old enough to use those skills responsibly."

"Please don't cancel the Monday detention."

"We'll be blamed," added Natasha miserably.

"Harry, you are always going on about how important defence is."

"Harry, is it? I thought we agreed it would be Sir in the Classroom."

"So? Give me a detention then," said Carmen cheekily. "We're free Monday, apparently."

"I expect you will both have detentions, but I've asked Professor McGonagall to set your punishments. Needless to say, she was particularly disappointed in you both."

"But," began Carmen, but tears were forming in her eyes and her throat caught.

Harry knew how much Professor McGonagall's approval meant to both girls. He still felt keenly the memory of those times he'd felt Dumbledore's disappointment in him.

"I'm sorry," he said gently. "If it's any consolation, you should know that I was planning on cancelling the regular Monday detentions before your efforts today.

"If you have any ideas as to how we might get rid of the things please let me know at once. Otherwise, I'll see you in lessons on Monday. Please remember the Great Hall is strictly out of bounds for the time being. Students will eat in their Common Rooms for the present. You may go."