Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 12 - Yeah, But Now Neville's Here!

Harry and Neville hurried down to the Apparition Point in the Ministry lobby and were soon running towards the Honeydukes shop.

Harry pushed his way through the crowd of concerned onlookers but was stopped by a wizard from the Magical Law Enforcement squad.

"One moment, Sir. Oh. Sorry, Potter. I thought you were another reporter for a moment. You can go in. Um, her family is inside."

"Right. Neville's with me."

"Mr Longbottom, we are deploying Ministry people up at the school for now. Would you report to the main entrance into the school grounds and take your instructions from the officer there?"

"Of course. See you later, Harry."

"Okay, Neville," said Harry and they parted.

As he pushed open the shop door, Harry's stomach did a horrible flip. He had peered through the glass and saw through a fleeting gap in the gathering of people inside a familiar tear stained face.

"Oh, no," he breathed.

They stepped inside and the officers parted. Kathryn was sitting down, supported by David Royce. Kathryn looked simply devastated and David looked like he was barely able to control his anger.

"Kathryn," said Harry. "David, what happened?"

"They took her," said Kathryn in an anguished voice. "They came into the shop, shoved me to the floor and grabbed her."

Harry looked at David.

"I was waiting for them in the Three Broomsticks," he said through gritted teeth. "I should have been here. Just because I wanted a drink rather than go clothes shopping with Natasha. It's all my fault."

"No, it isn't," said Harry forcefully. "You said them. How many were there?"

"Four," said Ambrosius Flume, the shop owner. "It all happened so fast. They pushed Mrs Royce out of the way and grabbed her. The little girl put up a fight, though. You can see the state of the shop."

"Four men?" repeat Harry, knowing this hardly fit the normal offender profiles.

"Yes. They had black robes and their faces were covered."

"Not Death Eaters, surely?"

"No, they weren't Death Eaters. They didn't have masks, as such. More like hoods that covered their faces."

"Okay, did you see where they went?"

"They seemed to struggle with her outside for a moment, but then they Disapparated away," said Mrs Flume.

"Are you sure?" asked Harry, thinking of the stranger in the Forest who was apparently unable to perform magic. "They didn't use a Portkey?"

"Well, they may have done."

The shop door opened again and the sprung bell tinkled again.

The officer from outside leaned in and said, "Message from Mr Shacklebolt."

One of the other Aurors took the note and read it quickly. Harry looked around expectantly but the Auror looked up with a slightly confused expression.

He stepped forward and said, "Mr Royce? You and your wife are to be escorted up to the school immediately. Mr Shacklebolt is pulling us out of the village. We're to return to London."

"What?" shouted David angrily. "What about my niece?"

"David, it means Kingsley may have a break," said Harry at once. "He wouldn't pull the Aurors away unless he knew they would be better employed elsewhere."

"Shacklebolt knows where they took her?"

"Who knows?" said Harry, careful not to raise their hopes. "I'd bet Kingsley knows more than we do, anyway. Peter, did that note say anything else?"

"Not really. You're to stay at the school and Kingsley will go up there as soon as he's deployed everyone."

"Well, it sounds like he a plan at least. Okay, you'd better get a move on. I'll take Kathryn and David up to the school."

The other Aurors vanished with loud cracks. Several officers outside did the same, although one remained to guard the door.

"Let's go," said Harry gently. "If news comes, it will come to the school."

"Why did they take her?" asked Kathryn to herself in a weak voice as David helped her to her feet.

*

They were met in the entrance hall by several concerned looking members of staff, but there were no students present. As Professor Sprout escorted Kathryn and David up to Professor McGonagall's office, Harry pushed open the great doors.

The entire school was assembled in the Great Hall.

Harry couldn't remember the last time everyone had been that quiet.

Professor McGonagall was standing alone at the front of the hall, her voice breaking with emotion as she spoke.

"I repeat," she was saying. "If anyone has any clue - no matter how remote - as to why anyone would want to harm Natasha, I urge you to tell a member of Staff at once. Needless to say, Hogsmeade will be out of bounds for the foreseeable future and classes will probably be disrupted at least for the rest of the day.

"Finally, I would ask that you pay particular attention to both you own and your friends' safety at this time. A few days ago, evidence of someone hiding in the forest was discovered. I have no idea if Natasha's kidnapping and the presence of this person are linked, but I urge you to be cautious and vigilant at all times.

"Very well. You may go."

Nobody moved, but a low fevered chattering began at once throughout the hall. From the odd snatches that Harry caught, it seemed that Professor McGonagall had told them everything she knew.

She quickly marched between the tables towards him, apparently unable to look into the faces of the worried students before her. Just as she got to the doors where Harry was waiting for her, Carmen appeared at her elbow.

"Professor?"

Harry stepped between them and stopped Carmen. Pulling the door closed after McGonagall had gone through, Harry bent lower and said, "Not now, Carmen. I know you're worried but the Headmistress has enough on her plate right now."

"No! It isn't that. Well, it's about Natasha. She told me about a letter she got. She was worried about it."

"What? Step out here for a moment?"

Harry opened the great door again to allow them through but sealed the door after them. Professor McGonagall hurriedly finished wiping her eyes.

"Carmen, what's this about a letter?" asked Harry.

"Natasha got a letter a few weeks ago. I didn't actually see it, but she said it was from the Ministry of Magic. She described it to me and I said it didn't sound genuine to me. Anyway, she decided to write to her Uncle and ask him."

"What did David say?"

"Natasha said he wrote back at once saying it was complete rubbish and that she wasn't to respond to it. He thought it was just a scam of some kind. I think she burnt the letter after that."

"What did the letter say?" asked McGonagall a little thickly.

"It said the Ministry was conducting a survey and this involved sending out questionnaires to selected individuals. She was to complete the survey and submit it at an interview. It said she was to report on some date. It must have said where too, but she never told me that."

"So, someone tried to lure her away from school," thought Harry aloud. "That means Natasha was targeted. This wasn't an opportunist grab."

"Carmen?" asked McGonagall, her voice now stronger. "Do you think it possible that Natasha could have told anyone else about the letter. I mean, is it possible that someone may remember more details, like the address?"

"I'll ask around," she replied at once. "Natasha was pretty worried about it at the time. She may well have spoken to others about it."

"Thanks, Carmen," said Harry, releasing the doors again.

*

"Yes, Natasha wrote to us about a letter," said David after Harry had told him what Carmen had just told them. "It was clearly a scam of some kind. There was some prize on offer for completing the questionnaire. I told her not to respond and to warn her Head of House in case anyone else gets one."

"Did anyone else get such a letter?" asked Hermione.

"We don't know yet," said Professor McGonagall, now sitting at her desk.

"Did Natasha tell anyone other than Carmen?"

"Well, certainly not a member of Staff."

"I told her to tell you," said David, punching his thigh in annoyance.

"Yes, but it sounds like it happened during a period when Natasha and Carmen had already been punished for breaking school rules. She probably didn't want to risk another telling off."

"What did she do?" asked David.

"What does that matter now?" said Kathryn, placing a hand on his forearm.

Green flames erupted from the fireplace and Kingsley stepped out. He just stood there for a long moment.

"What news?" several people asked tentatively.

It took a moment for him to realise so many people were present in the office. He seemed uncharacteristically agitated.

"Kingsley?"

"Hm?" he said, looking up. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm afraid I've just had a stand-up row with the Minister."

"Any news of Natasha?" asked McGonagall with a hint of dread in her voice.

"I think I know where she's being held," replied Kingsley, looking around and seeing Harry standing beside Kathryn and David.

He went over to them and said, "There are some things I need to tell Minerva and Harry that you shouldn't hear right now."

"What? She's hurt?"

"No," added Kingsley quickly. "I've no information at all about her well-being. I've no reason to believe she's been hurt, but clearly time is of the essence. I know it's hard, but the last thing we need is for you to get involved."

"I'm involved already," growled David. "I'm coming too."

"Can you honestly tell me you won't just kill anyone you even suspect of being part of this?"

"No," admitted David and Harry knew he meant it.

"Please," said Kingsley, more gently this time. "We'll do all we can to get her back to you safely."

"Come with me down to the staff apartments," suggested Hermione. "You'll be much more comfortable there anyway."

Kathryn wiped her face and said, "They're right, David. Natasha won't thank you if the price for her freedom is a life sentence in prison for you. Let's let them do their jobs."

"Thank you," said Kingsley, sounding relieved. "Actually, Hermione? Could you stay too?"

Hermione looked a little surprised but nodded at once.

"I'll take them down," said Professor Spout at once.

A moment later, only four people remained in the circular office.

"Harry, how do you like being a teacher?" asked Kingsley darkly.

"Um, I like it fine."

"Good, because you're fired and I think I've just resigned. What I'm saying is, we go and get her as members of the Order, not Aurors working for the Ministry."

"Sure. Why, though?"

"That letter that Natasha received. It really was from the Ministry and, worse, she was taken on a warrant issued by the Minister himself."

"That's outrageous!" said Professor McGonagall.

"It seems they have been following David Royce for some time, only they lost him when they went on their honeymoon. That's when they decided to target the girl. Anyway, they were drawing up a warrant for his arrest as I left."

"Why?" asked Hermione.

"The new Fourth Floor department became fully operational from midnight last night, as did several new laws. Anyone suspected to have, or be capable of, performing wandless magic is to be remanded or monitored. Anyone caught actually performing wandless magic is to be imprisoned.

"Shortly after I sent Harry and Neville up here, I was summoned to the Minister. He said he had received some important information that indicated she was being held in London. He suggested I recall everyone so that we could all listen to the evidence together. Like an idiot, I did just that. I even suggested you stay up here, Harry.

"As people began to arrive back for the briefing, it became clear that not everyone was returning. In fact, there were hardly any Aurors at all. I expect Hemlock didn't have me down as a troublemaker because I was sitting right at the front when he announced that the kidnapping was misreported and that the girl was actually a suspect taken in for questioning."

"What on earth can they suspect her of?"

"Oh, nothing. To be honest, I was just relieved when I found out. I mean, the child kidnappings when the Death Eaters were active didn't once have a happy ending and there's no way he could afford to harm a young girl."

"So, why take her?"

"I imagine they just want her to tell them where Royce is."

"But he was with them in Hogsmeade," said Harry. "He'd just gone off for a drink."

"They clearly didn't bother to check."

"Surely not," said Hermione. "Isn't it much more likely that they didn't want to take him on? They'd have needed far more than four to kidnap anyone with him present."

Harry nodded in agreement.

"Did Hemlock know you'd sent David and Kathryn up to the school?" asked Hermione.

"No. I had no idea who they were until Hemlock told everyone at the briefing."

"Hemlock must have known they would be impossible to capture once under the school's protection. Why didn't they make an excuse to stop them?"

"I'm glad you're on our side, Hermione," said Kingsley. "You know I've grown to rely on the stupidity of the people we target?"

"Well, we were due a break," said Professor McGonagall. "They will be safe here for the present."

"Kingsley, how many are siding with the Minister on this?" Harry asked.

"Well, everyone else at the briefing seemed convinced what was happening was legal and above board. I wouldn't say they were exactly enthusiastic, but I don't think we can count on them to help. I've no idea where those that didn't appear are, of course."

"But, the Wizengamot?"

"Some of our oldest and most powerful judges didn't turn up for work today," continued Kingsley. "I don't know how many are in custody as we speak."

"What do you propose?" asked Harry.

"Well, I thought you lot might see your way to helping me. The priority must be to free Natasha, but I also intend to arrest anyone involved."

"Just a moment," said Hermione. "Whoever these people are, they have had time to prepare. To have overcome some of the most powerful witches and wizards in the country, they must have significant magical aides."

"I didn't say it would be easy," said Kingsley with a small smile.

"Let's go," said Professor McGonagall.

"Um, shouldn't you stay?" said Kingsley. "Even if we get to Natasha, we have little chance of getting out of there ourselves."

"Just try and stop me."

*

"Harry?"

Harry turned around to see Neville hurrying towards them. Harry signalled for him to approach carefully and they crouched down at the side of the corridor they were making their way along.

"Neville, what are you doing here?" asked Hermione quietly.

"I've been looking everywhere for you. I didn't get a chance to tell Harry where I thought the entrance to the Fourth Floor was."

"How did you know we're trying to get in there?"

"Some people turned up at the school entrance where I was stationed. They had warrants for the arrest of David Royce and Kingsley, only they couldn't get in. They threatened to get a warrant for Professor McGonagall too, if she didn't let them in.

"Anyway, the enforcement people were talking about a new department being formed. I guessed you'd be here, so I got away as quickly as I could."

"Well, you're right on time," said Harry. "We were about to force our way in this way. The others are trying to get in through the lift entrance right now. So, what way should we go?"

"Um, the way you're headed," said Neville. "It's just around the corner."

Harry snorted and stepped out into the middle of the corridor.

He raised his wand and fired a series of red stunners that bounced off two walls and flew off around the corner.

They hurried forward and around the corner to see three unconscious guards waiting for them.

"I thought we were being cautious?" said Hermione pointedly.

"Yeah, but now Neville's here," said Harry with a grin.

*

The entrance was wide open and consisted of a wide sloping ramp leading down into the Fourth Floor. They hurried down to the bottom, but stopped as soon as they saw the assembled officials, all wearing identical new-looking black robes.

There were many running footsteps behind them and Harry didn't need Neville to say, "The way back's barred."

Harry stepped out into the large cavernous space that had been created at the bottom of the ramp. Hermione and Neville followed until they stood together, back-to-back. They were surrounded by over a hundred witches and wizards, all of whom were pointing their wands at them.

"Welcome, Mr Potter. We weren't expecting you so soon. Your interview isn't scheduled until next week."

"I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you, Minister."

"Oh, not at all," came the reply from somewhere behind the line of figures. "Put them in the cells," he added lazily.

"On what grounds?" demanded Hermione loudly as six black robed figures moved forward.

No answer came.

Harry flicked his wand and all six figures were sent sliding across the floor, colliding with several of their colleagues.

Neville staggered slightly into his back as he felt the force of the spell and he could feel Hermione's hair blowing about behind him.

"We've come to secure the release of one of my students," said Harry.

"That was quick," said the Minister. "Shacklebolt didn't waste any time, did he?"

"Yes, well kidnapped children are generally given a high priority."

"She is merely helping us with our enquiries. With her assistance we should be able to track down a dangerous wizard who has conducted countless acts of dark magic."

"Dark magic?" scoffed Harry.

"Oh, yes. Perhaps your friendship has clouded your objectivity, but Royce performed many unnatural acts of needless cruelty during the battle for the Ministry."

"He did nothing more than those Death Eaters deserved, in my view. You wouldn't be in power now if he hadn't, would you? Besides, I did far worse things than him that night."

"Oh, I know you did," said the Minister calmly as he stepped forward, showing himself for the first time. "Well, isn't this nice. Three prime candidates, and they were kind enough to walk right in."

Hemlock looked utterly at ease as he walked slowly around the three of them as they stood in the centre, surrounded by his enforcers.

"Longbottom," said Hemlock, his voice now dripping with hatred. "Have you any idea how much resentment your employment here has caused? Hardly a day goes by without old family friends pop by to exert the influence only old money can buy. Well, there's a new order now."

He paused next to Hermione.

"Granger: The champion of half-breeds that freed the slaves. A fine if futile effort, overall. Unfortunately, all those laws will be all too easy to repeal now. They will soon forget they even tasted freedom."

Harry turned to face Hemlock as he stepped around them.

"Potter. The Chosen One who broke down. You only become an Auror because a weak minded excuse for an Acting Minister felt sorry for you. At least I won't have to put up with you strutting around here like you own the place. Perhaps you'll come to regret hijacking so many of my news conferences.

"What am I saying?" he added with a mirthless chuckle. "Potter has never actually done a day's Auror work, has he? I expect he's forgotten how to make an arrest."

"Oh, I think I can just about manage, thanks," said Harry.

"The failed Auror who thinks he can teach," continued Hemlock. "Well, your students will soon be learning a new self respect. They are our future, after all. It's only right that they understand."

"Is this going to last long?" asked Harry, sounding bored. "How about you fast forward to the part where you admit what this is really all about? This anti wandless magic has nothing to do with it, does it?"

Hemlock smiled at him.

"True, it has been a means to an end," he said quietly, so only Harry, Hermione and Neville could hear him. "All I need is Royce, and I can release the good news. People will be clamouring to thank me for saving them from such a dangerous individual."

"Well, I don't rate much of your chances once he finds out you kidnapped his niece," agreed Harry, not troubling to lower his voice. "Tell you what, if you come quietly I'll take you into protective custody. That's a one-time offer."

"You're in no position to make offers, Potter."

"Hemlock, you haven't the brains to have done this all by yourself," said Harry. "You're a showman; never in public without a photographer or reporter to capture the managed event. Who are you taking orders from?"

"Orders? No, I don't take orders from anyone. I do enjoy the support of many people, though. People that you almost ruined with your reforms and purges against the Dark Lord's followers."

"Only almost ruined?" said Harry in a mocking tone. "I'll look forward to the job being finished this time."

"Seize them!" shouted Hemlock, stepping back sharply.