Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Shoebox by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Shoebox

jardyn39

The Shoebox

by Jardyn39

Chapter 2 - Yeah, It's His Nerves, Harry

Harry entered the Great Hall very warily. The errant flower arrangements transfigured by Carmen and Natasha had completely taken over the hall. Every table and chair was covered with thick vines and creepers were moving menacingly across the floor and climbing the walls.

Fortunately, there were still sufficiently wide gaps on the floor for him to enter without treading on any of the plants.

He had only just made it out of there the last time. He'd tried a few Reductor spells and had been a little shocked at how violently aggressive the plants had become.

Harry had decided to wait a few hours for the plants to calm down before trying anything further.

Fortunately, this tactic seemed to have worked.

As he pondered what to do, the door opened again. Harry turned to warn whoever it was not to risk entering.

"Neville?"

"Hi, Harry. Having fun?"

"You could say that."

Neville stepped carefully into the hall.

"These were Transfigured into flower arrangements, right?"

"Yes, that's right. They've gone a bit wild since then, though."

"Do you know what they were transfigured from?"

"Yes. Carmen told me they used a single plant. It was a discarded cutting from one of the greenhouses. A vine with tiny red and white flowers."

"Rosa Estrangulador?"

"Yes, that's the one. I tried to transfigure them back, but it didn't work. I've also tried various poisons and weedkillers too."

"No, those won't work," said Neville, now standing next to Harry. "Actually, Rosa Estrangulador was a good choice for transfiguring flower arrangements from. It grows fast and has a number of interesting, if mild, magical properties. It grows quickly in harsh conditions and is very hardy."

"You're telling me," agreed Harry. "So, any ideas?"

"I'd feed it."

"Neville, we really do need the Great Hall back."

"I'm not suggesting it should stay here," said Neville with a smile. "Rosa Estrangulador usually dies in the wild when it gets too big for the nourishment in the surrounding environment."

"Um, why would feeding it help?"

"What happened when the flower arrangements were attacked, in the beginning?"

"Well, feelers strung out and enveloped anyone standing too close."

"Right. I think all this growth is just the potential defensive growth that was built into the plants. I also think that the plants haven't expended their internal reserve of growing energy yet. I think it has been feeding on the magical energy in the school."

"Magical energy? No wonder its getting stronger."

"We've no chance of starving it of magical energy. The enchanted ceiling alone is probably sufficient for its needs. Look how it is trying to grow up the walls."

"I wondered why that was. I just assumed the plant thought it was heading towards the light."

"We just need to make it grow a little more quickly than it can cope with. I think we can find what we need in the greenhouses, Harry."

"Great. Let's go."

*

Harry transfigured a massive low stone trough and then helped Neville fill it with the carefully selected topsoil.

"Thanks for coming to help us, Neville. I really appreciate it."

"Oh, it's no problem. I wanted to see you anyway, before I forgot."

"Really, why?"

"I've forgotten."

They laughed.

"Actually," continued Neville, "Ginny and I were hoping you and Hermione would be free to come over for a long weekend. Luna and Ron have agreed to stay over too, but we need to find a weekend when everyone is free."

"That sounds great, Neville. Thanks. I'll see when Hermione is available."

"Is she still spending most of her time in London?"

"Well she still commutes from here most days when the Wizengamot is in session."

"I think that's enough topsoil. Can you levitate it outside?"

"Sure," said Harry.

Neville opened the end door and Harry floated the trough outside into the open.

"I still can't believe you can lift that much. There must be tons of earth in there! I can barely manage a single pot plant."

"It's just practice, Neville," said Harry modestly.

"Put it down a moment, will you?" asked Neville. Harry did so and watched with interest as Neville opened a packet of magical growth powder.

Neville walked from one end of the trough to the other, sprinkling the power over the dirt and waving his wand in a complicated pattern.

"Good," he said, straightening up. "We need to wait about ten minutes before the Rosa Estrangulador can be allowed to feed on it. Can you levitate it up to the Castle?"

"No problem," said Harry, raising the trough up a few feet off the ground. "We can take a short cut. It will meet us there."

Neville shook his head as the trough flew higher and headed off towards the castle entrance without needing Harry's further guidance.

"Harry, how long have you been able to do things like that?"

"It's nothing special. I suppose I've become a little more ambitious since the Forbidden Forest made me see the consequences of my actions."

"We were all changed a little by that night," admitted Neville. "Still, I've never even heard Dumbledore doing anything like that."

"Oh, I'm sure he could have," said Harry, pressing a stone so that a secret passageway opened before them.

"You hardly need to use your wand for anything now, do you?"

"Yes, I do!" said Harry, his laugh echoing down the passageway. "Some things are easier than others to do without a wand."

They emerged in a staircase one level below the entrance lobby.

"If I'd have known about this passageway I wouldn't have been late for classes half as many times!"

Harry laughed and led Neville outside where the trough was waiting for them a few feet above the ground.

Neville pushed open the entrance doors and Harry levitated the trough inside. After a tricky moment while they manoeuvred the trough towards the hall doors, narrowly avoiding hitting the hourglasses recording the House Points, they were ready.

Harry opened the Great Hall doors as quietly as possible and pushed the trough inside.

"It's going to react when I lower it to the floor," warned Harry. "There are too many vines."

"Don't worry. Just lower it as slowly as possible."

Harry lowered the trough and watched as the feelers removed themselves from under the clay trough. They almost seemed to smell the topsoil and were becoming more and more animated.

Finally, the trough came to a rest on the floor. A moment later, feelers dived into the topsoil from all around.

"Now, vanish the stone trough, leaving the topsoil to fall over the floor," directed Neville.

There was a pop and the trough vanished. A mass of heaving roots spilled out onto the stone floor. The topsoil was being consumed as they watched.

"Um, Neville, I do hope this was the right thing to do."

"Let's close the doors and give them time to eat all the topsoil. It will take a while before the plants begin to die."

"Okay. I should take you up to see Professor McGonagall. She asked to see you when she heard you were coming."

Neville reached out to grab hold of Harry's arm.

"What is it, Neville?"

"Harry, I want you to promise me something. I want you to start using your wand, even for things you don't need to."

"What's the point in that?"

"I'm serious, Harry. Please. I've been hearing things around the Ministry; rumours about some new legislation that is being considered."

"How could that affect me?"

"Wandless magic might become outlawed. If that happened, you'd probably lose your job here at the very least. At worst, you might just end up in Azkaban."

"What's so bad about magic performed without a wand?"

"Harry, anything that is different or unusual can be perceived as a threat. How many of the Dark Wizards you have faced were proficient in magic without the aid of a wand?"

"Um, quite a few," admitted Harry. "That was only because Voldemort trained them. They'd have done dark magic with or without a wand, though."

"I agree, but you still need to be careful. You could be tagged as a threat just by association."

Harry frowned.

"You're serious about this, aren't you?"

*

Harry knocked on Professor McGonagall's office door. It opened at once and he stepped aside to allow Neville to enter first.

Inside, Carmen and Natasha were standing in front of the large claw-footed desk. Both were red faced and looking down at their feet.

Professor McGonagall stood and said, "Welcome, Neville. Girls, this is Neville Longbottom. He was kind enough to come along and help remove your handiwork from the Great Hall."

Neville smiled kindly and said, "It was really no trouble. Hello, Carmen. I remember you from when you first stayed here. We must have been in our Sixth Year. I seem to recall you enjoyed swapping all my plant labels around."

She looked up and gave an embarrassed smile.

"This is Natasha, Neville," said Professor McGonagall. "She originally had the idea to transfigure the flower arrangements."

"Really?" he said, sounding impressed.

Natasha smiled at him weakly.

"I should leave the plants over-night," recommended Neville, "but you can begin to start clearing up from tomorrow. Don't worry if magical vanishing doesn't work. I suspect that the plants have absorbed too much magic to allow simple vanishing or further transfiguration. You'll need to clear it up manually, I'm afraid."

The girls nodded, and Harry guessed that Professor McGonagall had decided they should be the ones to clear up all the mess.

"The good news is that the plants should make excellent compost for Professor Sprout. All that magical energy will be put to good use, I'm sure."

"Won't any magic work?" asked Natasha.

"Well, you can try," suggested Neville with a smile. "I just wouldn't be too hopeful."

Carmen, typically, looked like she was looking forward to proving him wrong.

"Very well, girls, you may go," said Professor McGonagall.

The girls bid them goodbye and left.

As soon as Harry had closed the door after them, Neville said, "I think I should warn you, clearing those plants isn't going to be a very pleasant task."

"It'll be safe for them, though?" asked Harry at once.

"Oh, yes. The plants should be quite dead, but you may notice a slight odour. Oh, and they have no hope of using magic, either."

"Good," said Harry. "A bit of non-magic work will do them both good. I'll seal the doors tonight and make sure it's safe before I let them in to begin clearing up. Well, Neville, you've rescued me yet again."

Neville laughed.

"Fancy a pint in the Village before you go?"

"I'm sorry, Harry, I can't. Ginny is expecting me back for dinner promptly. Besides, don't you have evening classes?"

"What classes are those? I've cancelled my Monday detention."

"I'm afraid I volunteered you to help out," said Professor McGonagall. "The Ministry additional education tutor has been taken ill and they asked if we could spare anyone for an evening."

"Oh," said Harry. "Um okay. What, where, when?"

*

"Good evening, Harry."

Harry turned, curious to see who was addressing him. He had just arrived at the Ministry of Magic and was about to check in with the watch-wizard.

"Professor!" exclaimed Harry, and he hurried over to Dumbledore's portrait. He had several portraits hanging in prominent positions within important buildings throughout the wizarding world, including a couple that were rumoured to be abroad.

"I see you're looking well. How is Hermione?"

"Fine, thanks. What are you doing here? I'm sure there must be better places to hang out rather than the Ministry Foyer!"

"Oh, I don't know. Occasionally old friends drop by."

"You should come up to the school more."

"Well, I thought I'd leave Minerva in peace for a while yet. I wouldn't want her to feel obliged to not to make changes as she see fit. Did you have an appointment here?"

Harry looked down at his watch.

"Unfortunately, I'm already late. I'm supposed to be teaching some class this evening."

"Then don't let me detain you any further. Perhaps I'll speak to you later?"

"Sure," said Harry, but Dumbledore had already gone.

Sighing, Harry trudged over to the security desk.

"Hi. I'm Harry Potter. I'm standing in for one of the evening tutors, but I don't know their name or what the class is."

"There's only one class tonight," said the guard. "They are in the room opposite. Good luck."

"Thanks," said Harry, walking over to the room where the class was being held and wondering why he needed wishing luck.

He pushed open the door and immediately had to dive out of the way as a red stunner flew right for him.

He looked up to see a chaotic display of various sparks and stunners bouncing off the walls.

"Finite Incantatum!" bellowed Harry, getting to his feet.

"Harry!" shouted Ron with delight. "Did you see my great stunner!"

"Yes, Ron, it was a nice stunner," said Harry dryly as he walked to the front of the class.

"Good evening," said Harry. "My name is Harry Potter and I'm currently a teacher at Hogwarts. I've been asked to stand in this evening. I understand your regular tutor is unwell."

"Yeah, it's his nerves, Harry," said Ron.

Harry bit back a comment.

"Why don't we all put our wands down on the desks in front of us?" he suggested, placing his own wand on the lectern.

"Good," he said, feeling a little safer. "Now, I'm afraid I don't know anything about the subject I'm supposed to be teaching you, nor the level of attainment you want to achieve."

"We weren't exactly learning any particular subject," said a middle-aged witch near the front.

"Okay. I take it that most of you were hit with a magic-draining curse?"

They nodded grimly.

"Mm. Those curses were nasty but very effective. The good news is that after time, you can begin to re-learn your skills. Ron's stunner proved that, although his aim could do with some work," he added. Ron just grinned back at him.

"The key thing is to get the fundamentals right. Remember, when we were in our First Year at Hogwarts? We all had to learn the basic theory before anything worked for us."

There was a collective groan at these words.

"Alright, what's the problem?" asked Harry.

"We've had basic theory up to our eyes!"

"Well, maybe you're ready to move on then," Harry said encouragingly. "Who can tell me the five fundamental rules concerning Transfiguration? Anyone? Don't be shy?"

No-one volunteered an answer.

Finally, Ron raised his hand.

"Yes, Ron."

"Um, the thing is, Harry. Just because we're fed up with basic theory, it doesn't mean we can actually remember any of it."

Harry smiled and nodded.

"Alright, maybe we should try a more practical approach. I should warn you, however, that you'll never pass an OWL."

Harry reached out and silently summoned his wand to his hand.

"Let's all stand and hold our wands up."

Everyone stood.

"Aim anywhere except directly at another person, but don't try to perform magic. I just want to see how you're holding your wands."

Harry went round to everyone and checked their grips. Each needed some correction.

"Now, the first thing we are going to do is just sparks. Don't think I'm belittling you by asking you to do this. Sparks are safe for everyone, and you'll use the same skills as many other wand spells."

He got them producing sparks, but only Ron managed a half decent display.

"Now, let's do that again, only one at a time."

He stood beside each person and held his hand over theirs as they attempted again.

"Feel how the wand reacts in your hand. It's almost warm to the touch."

By the time he had finished, all of the students were delighted to be able to send sparks several feet into the air all on their own.

"Good," said Harry. "You've made very good progress. I'm sure your tutor will be impressed when they see. Please try and practise whenever you can. When is your next lesson, by the way?"

"Monday, Harry," said Ron. "Um, why don't you carry on teaching us?"

There was an enthusiastic murmur of agreement at this notion.

"I'm flattered," said Harry with a smile, "but I'm sure your regular tutor will do just fine. I'm usually taking detention on Monday evenings, anyway."

The group packed up their things and left leaving Ron and Harry in the classroom.

"You know, we'd make much better progress with you teaching us, Harry."

Harry sighed and said, "Is your regular tutor so bad?"

"I've been coming here for weeks now, and producing a few sparks is about all I can manage. My stunner earlier was just a fluke really."

"Can't Luna help you practise?"

"Yes, she does. I think all of us are getting family help, but we need that bit more. You know what you said about not passing an OWL?"

"Yes?"

"Well, that's it, really. We're never going to sit an exam, so why bother with all the theory?"

"I suppose you have a point."

Just then there were shouts and cheers from outside in the foyer. They looked up and through the open door Harry could see what looked like a giant firework engulfing the security wizard's desk.

"Sounds like a certain guard is getting payback for all the jibes," said Ron with a grin.

"Do you know who is in charge of further education here at the Ministry?"

"Not a clue, Harry. Hermione signed me up for the course. Hey, Neville and Ginny have invited us over to their place for a long weekend!"

"Yes, Hermione is going to let them know what dates are best for her."

"So, you'll at least think about helping?" Ron persisted.

"I'll talk it over with Professor McGonagall. If she agrees I can take a few hours off each week, then I'll try and help. I don't want to tread on anyone's toes, though. What's your regular Tutor's name?"

"Mr Tonbridge."

"Did he ever teach at Hogwarts?"

"I doubt it. He's hopeless."

"Is that entirely fair?"

"Well, maybe you should sit in on one of his classes and decide for yourself," said Ron, looking at his watch. "I should be getting back to Luna. It's much easier now we've got a Floo connection."

"Okay, Ron. Give my love to Luna."

"Sure," said Ron as he went through the door. "Thanks for letting us off homework!"

"You were supposed to get homework?" Harry asked the empty room.

He walked to the front of the class and with a wave of his wand, all the desks straightened up and the chairs jumped off the floor and did a complicated little somersault before landing on the desks leaving the floor clear for the cleaners.

He was about to put the lanterns out when his eye caught movement in a small landscape painting at the back of the room.

"Professor?"

"Ah, hello again, Harry. I hope you don't think I was being nosey, although that's exactly what I was."

Harry smiled and shook his head.

"Did you see any of Mr Tonbridge's classes, Professor?"

"Yes. He's not quite as hopeless as Mr Weasley says, but he isn't a particularly good communicator."

"What sort of syllabus are they supposed to be following?"

"Look in the lectern, Harry."

Harry walked to the front of the class and opened a thin drawer in the front. He took out a single sheet of parchment.

"Well, these aren't going to do them much good. I'd have thought learning how to use magic to cook and clean would be more useful."

"That's a rather good idea."

"You know, judging from this list it's almost as if the Ministry don't want them to recover their skills."

Harry touched the parchment lightly with his wand. There was a brief flash and a second identical copy was created which Harry pocketed.

"I suppose I'd better go and apologise for my class waking up that security guard," said Harry. "Goodnight, Professor."

*

Harry smiled as Hermione put her arms around him and kissed his neck. He was sitting at their writing desk with a long scroll of parchment in front of him.

"Come to bed, Harry. You need sleep."

She pressed her warm cheek against his and hugged him.

"I know. I just wanted to write down some ideas I had for Ron's evening classes," he said, putting down his quill.

"How many are in the class?"

"There are twenty of them, except two couldn't make it because they couldn't get a baby-sitter."

"It must be difficult raising a family without magic."

"Yes. I had the impression that the Ministry compensation payments weren't exactly generous, either."

"Of course, they won't be able to get paid work, will they?"

"I was thinking about that. I mean, Ron does okay, doesn't he? His reduced magical abilities is actually an advantage, in that he doesn't set off Fred and George's stocks."

"Well, yes."

"Why can't we find jobs for them all?"

"It isn't immediately obvious what they could do, though."

Hermione let him go and pulled him up by his hand.

"Enough for tonight, Harry."